Posted on December 7, 2013


Sebastian Vettel collected his fourth world champions’ trophy last night at the FIA prizegiving gala in Paris, but one of the more heartwarming stories was Robert Kubica collecting the FIA Personality of the Year award, as voted by the media. It was the first time that the FIA gala has featured awards given by popular vote. Kubica won the B class of the World Rally Championship this year, overcoming the handicap of his arm injuries, which ended his Formula 1 career. The Pole won five of the seven nominated events this year to seal the title with one round remaining. More…

Posted on October 23, 2013


Team principal Stefano Domenicali says Ferrari considered signing Polish driver Robert Kubica but now doubts whether the 28 year old will be able to return to Formula 1 following injuries sustained in a rally crash. Kubica was set to drive for Renault in 2011 when he suffered injuries in a rallying accident. He has since returned to driving, competing in the World Rally Championship (WRC). The Pole leads the WRC2 standings, the second tier in the WRC, and will take part in Wales Rally GB next month. But despite saying earlier this year that he is keen for a return More…

Posted on June 4, 2013


Six years ago, Robert Kubica had a huge accident at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, crashing into a wall at 180mph while trying to overtake Jarno Trulli in the Canadian Grand Prix. Incredibly, the Pole escaped serious injury, emerging with only a slight concussion and a sprained ankle, thanks to the work of the FIA to improve safety standards in Formula 1. The sport’s approach to safety has changed dramatically since the death of Ayrton Senna in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix with the FIA’s crash tests for Formula 1 cars becoming more and more stringent. The FIA’s technical delegate Jo More…

Posted on January 24, 2013


Robert Kubica, the former F1 driver who is recuperating from a partially severed arm, today tested a Mercedes from the German Touring Car series DTM, in Valencia. The 28 year old Pole, who was badly hurt in a rally accident almost two years ago, covered 114 laps, or 456.570 kilometres today. Kubica has said that it is too early to talk about a return to F1 competition, but he has taken part in some rallies and is gradually stepping up the intensity and level of his driving activities. Today he experienced downforce again – although nothing like the levels and More…

Posted on January 29, 2012


Stories coming from Italy suggest that injured F1 driver Robert Kubica aims to get into an F1 simulator and then back into a car and has set his sights on doing it from June onwards. The Pole, who broke bones down his right side and severed nerves in his right arm in a rally accident a year ago, is still in a light cast at present after breaking his right leg again earlier this month. But he’s counting down the days to getting back into training. According to our colleague Pino Allievi, who is in close contact with Kubica, he More…

Posted on January 11, 2012


Troubled Polish driver Robert Kubica is back in hospital, according to reports on the BBC, after a fall on ice near his home in Italy. The 27 year old, who was recovering from multiple fractures and a partially severed right forearm in a rally accident almost a year ago, slipped on ice near his home and reopened a fracture in his right leg, setting back his rehabilitation further. According to the BBC he will need an operation to insert a metal screw above his ankle, plus more time in plaster. Kubica split with his long time doctor and ally Riccardo More…

Posted on November 24, 2011


The short term future of Robert Kubica has been cast in doubt after the Lotus Renault team issued a statement in which the Pole said that he wouldn’t be ready to return in 2012. But his manager denied that his client had used the words quoted in the statement. And paddock speculation here in Brazil is that Ferrari is keeping the door open for him to return with them. “Even if I’ve been working very, very hard over the course of the last few weeks, I came to the conclusion that I am not yet certain to be ready for More…

Posted on September 9, 2011


Daniel Morelli, the manager of Polish driver Robert Kubica, has just delivered an upbeat assessment of his condition, saying, “We have no more concern on the final outcome of the recovery.” Pressed to explain what exactly he meant by that, he said that he had “no doubts” that the Pole would recover fully from the nerve damage to his right hand sustained in his rally accident in February. There were some concerns about the range of movement he might have prior to the most recent operation on his right elbow. But having gained full mobility as a result of the More…

Posted on April 28, 2011


I’ve been sent an interesting Q&A from colleagues at Italian website 422.com with Dr. Francesco Lanza, director of Orthopaedics at Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure, who carried out operations on Renault’s Robert Kubica, after his rallying accident two months ago. It’s worth highlighting because it is an independent point of view on Kubica’s situation and his chances of coming back to F1. Lanza says that the Pole is” definitely fine, generally the situation is very satisfying.” What made you decide about letting him leave the hospital? “It was already scheduled, because you can’t stay for six-seven months in a More…

Posted on February 11, 2011


Yesterday at the F1 test in Jerez the drivers sent their get well messages to Robert Kubica and his team carried a message to him on the car. Today the Pole has said that “I have to return this year” in his first interview since the accident. So many JA on F1 readers have been in touch since his accident on Sunday to say that they want to do the same, I’ve been in touch with the Renault team to set up an email address to handle the messages. You can write to Robert at fans@lotusrenaultgp.com The team assures me More…

Posted on February 10, 2011


The signs continue to be very positive from the doctors looking after Robert Kubica in Italy. The Polish driver, whose right forearm was partially severed in a rally accident on Sunday, has moved the fingers of his right hand and the doctors say the indications are that the blood flow is stabilised and therefore that the hand has been saved. The injury was described by the surgeon Igor Rossello as complex and occurring at 2 levels (segmental). This involved damaged to the bone, muscles, tendons, blood vessels and nerves. The forearm has been reconstructed (ie put back together) by fixing More…

Posted on February 7, 2011


‘Did you never think of stopping Robert (Kubica) from taking part in rallies?’ asked L’Equipe newspaper to Renault team boss Eric Boullier today. “Not for one second,” replied Boullier, “He could just as easily have been knocked over by a bus. Robert is a racer, he loves cars and he lives for nothing but racing. Competing is his essence. At 14 he slept in a kart factory because he loved racing. From the outset it was agreed among us that Robert would do rallies as well as F1. It was vital for him. His strength comes from that passion. I More…

Posted on July 8, 2010


Robert Kubica will drive for Renault for the next two seasons, it was announced today. The Pole has been outstanding at the wheel of the Renault this season, challenging for the win in Monaco and regularly outperforming the car. That said, the car has been improving dramatically as Renault rediscovers its confidence following the Singapore crash scandal last Autumn. They have brought a steady stream of updates to the car since the start of the season and they have been in front of Mercedes and Ferrari at times this season on pure pace. “It was a straightforward decision for me More…

Posted on May 16, 2010


Today’s Monaco Grand Prix was full of drama but we also saw some amazing performances from several drivers, not just in the race, but over the weekend as a whole. So let’s take a look at the two main contenders: Mark Webber A dominant drive by the veteran Aussie, who is in the form of his life. For the second race in a row he took pole and controlled the race. He had four safety cars to contend with, which cut his lead down to nothing each time. He made an assured start, not giving Vettel or Kubica a chance More…

Posted on May 13, 2010


Fernando Alonso topped the timesheets today in practice for Sunday’s Monaco Prix. The two times Monaco winner was the only driver to dip below the 1m 15s mark, setting a best time of 1m 14.904s – just a tenth of a second shy of the fastest lap in low fuel qualifying last year. Alonso was having to contend with the back end stepping out quite a bit, but he always looked fast and believes that whereas Barcelona rewarded massive downforce, Monaco is about getting the car tuned in to the circuit, “Here, having the right set up can make more More…

Posted on May 11, 2010


Over the weekend I had a chance to chat at length with the new owner of the Renault F1 team, Gerard Lopez, who is a fascinating character. One of the world’s leading investors in technology companies, he was a founder investor in Skype and is bringing some fresh thinking to this sport. I will post separately on the wider topics of our conversation, which include his plans for Renault, how he is helping F1 engage with the internet and mobile phones and a whole new business model for an F1 team. But the eye catching headline from the chat was More…

Posted on November 19, 2009


It’s amazing how little time there ever is in F1 to enjoy the moment, to celebrate something special, before something comes along and makes it all turn nasty. The bitterness is starting to come out now in the aftermath of Jenson Button’s shock move to McLaren on a three year contract. According to Ross Brawn, who has actually been trying to have a holiday this week while all of this has been going on, Button breached the terms of his contract when he visited the McLaren factory last Friday mid-way through the negotiations over a new deal. At the time More…

Posted on October 7, 2009


Robert Kubica has brushed aside concerns over the Renault cheating scandal and has put his faith in the team, signing for next season. As one of the most highly rated drivers in F1, he had a choice of seats for next year, but he has gone with Renault. The Pole has been figuring out what would be his best option since BMW’s shock announcement of withdrawal from F1 in July. His manager, Daniele Morelli is a very smart man and has a good radar for F1 trends and developments. A month or so ago, I thought Williams was Kubica’s favourite More…



COUNTDOWN TO NEXT RACE
Strategy Report
Innovation and Technology brought to you by TATA Communications
Senna DVD
Download the Chequered Flag Podcast here
MTS
Darren Heath
Sport Right Now