Posted on January 24, 2014


Lotus have revealed images of their 2014 challenger – the E22 – just hours after announcing the Gerard Lopez would replace Eric Boullier  as team principal. The Enstone-based team had a strong season last year, winning the first race with Kimi Raikkonen and going on to finish fourth in the constructors’ championship. They have also struggled financially, with Lopez saying the team had over $100m of debts while several people have left the team. However, Romain Grosjean and new team-mate Pastor Maldonado will b hoping they can challenge for race wins and the championship in the striking E22. While McLaren More…

Posted on January 7, 2014


Lotus have decided to miss the first pre-season test at Jerez in Spain, which starts on 28 January, and are instead expected to run their 2014 challenger for the first time at the second test which follows in Bahrain next month. The move gives the Enstone-based team more time to develop their car and they will not miss out much on tyre data as Jerez’s abrasive track surface isn’t representative of tracks on the race calendar. However the downside is they will lose vital track time with a car that will see incorporate some of the biggest rules changes in More…

Posted on November 29, 2013


As expected, Lotus have announced that Pastor Maldonado will join the Enstone-based team next season alongside Romain Grosjean, who retains his race seat for a third year. Sauber’s Nico Hulkenberg was the initial frontrunner to replace Kimi Raikkonen, who will return to Ferrari next season, at Lotus. However, consistent delays in an investment deal with Quantum Motorsports meant Lotus required a driver with backing and Maldonado – with his $30m of sponsorship money from Venezuelan oil company PDVSA – entered the frame. Maldonado leaves Williams after three seasons and 58 grand prix starts. The high point came in the 2012 More…

Posted on November 14, 2013


Finland’s Heikki Kovalainen will replace Kimi Raikkonen at Lotus for the final two races of the season, starting with this weekend’s United States Grand Prix in Austin. Raikkonen, who will race for Ferrari next year, is unavailable to drive after choosing to undergo surgery for a recurring back problem. For one-time race winner Kovalainen, 32, it marks a return to the team where he started his Formula 1 career, when the outfit were known at Renault. It was important that Lotus signed a driver with Formula 1 experience as they are in a tight battle with Mercedes and Ferrari for More…

Posted on November 4, 2013


Lotus’ long-awaited investment deal with Middle East/American consortium Quantum is nearing completion, according to the man leading the consortium. But scepticism remains in the F1 paddock about whether the deal will get done. It has been in limbo since it was announced in June. Mansoor Ijaz told reporters in Abu Dhabi on Sunday night that a contract is now in place for the group to buy a 35% stake in the team. They are now awaiting approval from the outfit’s owner Genii Capital. “There is no question the deal is definitely happening. It has now been completed from our side,” More…

Posted on October 3, 2013


Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen says he does not believe his back problem will stop him competing in this weekend’s Korean Grand Prix. The Finn needed a pain-killing injection before qualifying last time out in Singapore after a flare up of his long-standing back problem caused discomfort in final practice. It is understood that the back issue dates back to his Formula 1 rookie year in 2001 with Sauber when he had a testing accident at Magny Cours. Reserve river Davide Valsecchi was called up as a precaution in Singapore, but Raikkonen, 33, went on to qualify 13th and then finish More…

Posted on August 9, 2013


Lotus team principal Eric Boullier says he is optimistic Kimi Raikkonen will stay with the team in 2014 despite the 2007 world champion being linked with Red Bull. Raikkonen, 33, won the season opening race in Australia and is currently on a consecutive points-scoring run that stretches back 27 races to last year’s Bahrain Grand Prix. The Finn has failed to score points just once since returning to the sport with Lotus last season and is in contention for the drivers’ world championship for the second consecutive year. He is second in the drivers’ standings, 38 points behind leader Sebastian More…

Posted on May 27, 2013


Sergio Perez’s style of driving was once again brought into question in the Monaco Grand Prix with the McLaren driver attempting a series of aggressive and late-braking overtaking moves, including one on Kimi Raikkonen which effectively ended his own race and damaged the Lotus driver’s title ambitions. The Mexican, 23, tried to pass Raikkonen, 33, up the inside of the Nouvelle Chicane for fifth, but both ended up cutting the corner. Later in the race, Perez tried a similar move but this time the pair collided with Perez hitting the barriers and Raikkonen suffering a puncture. Perez later retired while More…

Posted on April 2, 2013


Lotus technical director James Allison believes the team’s car has genuine pace in the dry and will continue to race at the front of the field in the upcoming races. Kimi Raikkonen produced a scintillating drive to take victory, his second for the team, in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. Raikkonen was seventh last time out in the rain-hit Malaysian Grand Prix, one place behind team-mate Romain Grosjean, but Allison told the latest edition of the JA on F1 podcast that the car still showed front-running pace in dry conditions. “We didn’t have a great race at Sepang More…

Posted on November 8, 2012


Lotus team principal Eric Boullier revealed it was a “relief” to watch Kimi Raikkonen take the team’s first win of the season in Abu Dhabi and first for the squad from Enstone, formerly known as Renault, since Fernando Alonso took victory in the 2008 Japanese Grand Prix. It was a victory which included a bit of good fortune as Lewis Hamilton’s retirement with a fuel pressure problem allowed Raikkonen to inherit the lead and one which rewarded them after a season of near misses. The black and gold liveried team started the season on the back foot after missing the More…

Posted on February 21, 2012


A Formula 1 pre-season is not really considered to really get going in earnest until the schedule reaches the Circuit de Catalunya and so it was somewhat symbolic that Sebastian Vettel – the man that everyone is expecting to again have to beat in 2012 – set the pace on the first day of running at Barcelona today. However, it was the early evening announcement by Lotus that the unusual problems with the second E20 chassis that had already curtailed its Tuesday running would now keep the team out of the rest of the test, that proved the real headline story More…

Posted on March 7, 2011


It has just been announced that Force India’s case against 1 Malaysia, the owner of Team Lotus, for infringement of intellectual property, will be heard in the High Court in London on January 16 2012. Force India is also pursuing Lotus Technical director Mike Gascoyne personally as well as Aerolab, the wind tunnel where the two teams were working on cars when the alleged IP leakage is said to have occured. This may prove to be Lotus’ third appearance in the High Court in 12 months, following the one starting two weeks today between Group Lotus and 1 Malaysia Group More…

Posted on December 8, 2010


There will be a new partnership on the F1 grid next year as Group Lotus, owned by the Malaysian government via Proton, has bought a stake in the Enstone based F1 team, creating Lotus Renault GP. This deal, which sees Lotus come in both as an equity partner alongside Genii Capital, the teams’ main shareholder, and as the main sponsor of the team, has been mooted for many months now and was finally signed off at the start of this week. In addition to a stake in the team, which is open ended, Lotus will be the title sponsor until More…

Posted on November 1, 2010


This will be an important week in the ongoing development of the Lotus F1 team. During the Brazil Grand Prix weekend, there will be an announcement that the team is to use Renault engines for the next two seasons. Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn, no less, is expected to be at Interlagos to convey the message. Brazil, booming economically, is a very important market for Renault. Ghosn said recently that one of Renault’s key objectives is to increase market share there from 6% to 10%. With the rapidly increasing middle class, millions of Brazilians are able to own a car for More…



COUNTDOWN TO NEXT RACE
Strategy Report
Innovation and Technology brought to you by TATA Communications
Senna DVD
Download the Chequered Flag Podcast here
MTS
Darren Heath
Sport Right Now