Posted on December 6, 2013


Today in Paris Jean Todt was re-elected FIA president for a second four-year term. The election was unopposed after the withdrawal of former FIA Foundation head David Ward and the decision of the Emirati powerbroker Mohammed Bin Sulayem not to stand. Todt now has a clear mandate for a second term and, if his stewardship of Ferrari is anything to go by, he is likely to roll his sleeves up in the second term and get some things done. Critics have argued that he has not done enough in his first term to address some fundamental problems with the sport More…

Posted on October 24, 2013


The FIA ethics committee has dismissed presidential candidate David Ward’s complaint about the way current president Jean Todt has gone about his campaign for re-election to a second term. Ward was upset by letters of support gathered early by Todt and his team and suggested that the Frenchman had used a trip on FIA business to garner support for the election. He lodged the complaint last month, with the hearing taking place in Paris last Friday. But the committee said it “did not see any evidence of any kind supporting the allegation that people were coerced into signing the Letters More…

Posted on October 21, 2013


The window for candidates to enter the race for the FIA presidency opens in four days time (October 25) and this weekend there were a couple of interesting developments. Incumbent Jean Todt’s campaign has been boosted by the vote of support of Middle East powerbroker Mohammed Bin Sulayem, who had weighed up standing against the Frenchman, but has now decided to pull back. Bin Sulayem is President of the Automobile and Touring Club of the United Arab Emirates. In June this year, Todt appointed him chairman of the FIA’s new Motor Sport Development Task Force, which is tasked with establishing More…

Posted on October 9, 2013


FIA president Jean Todt this week set out his agenda for a second term in office, with the launch of his new website Jean Todt and Team. Todt’s challenge is to demonstrate what has been achieved in his four years at the helm of the FIA and to get the electorate, which comprises sporting and mobility clubs around the world, to consider him a safe pair of hands which is on a pathway of modernisation of the institution. Much of what has been achieved is outside the world of F1 and of the leading FIA championships. The website says, “Jean More…

Posted on October 2, 2013


Presidential candidate David Ward has written to FIA Clubs around the world, who will vote to elect a president in December, suggesting that the FIA’s election rules could prevent any candidate from being eligible to challenge the incumbent Jean Todt. Ward has been upset by letters of support already gathered by Todt and his team and has already challenged him for using a trip on FIA business to garner support for the election. His latest letter, designed to embarrass Todt, claims that because Todt has already got letters of support from 11 of 12 North American clubs in a meeting More…

Posted on August 29, 2013


Jean Todt will be opposed in the forthcoming FIA presidential elections by David Ward, who was a key ally of former FIA president Max Mosley. Ward announced his decision today and has resigned as Secretary General of the FIA Foundation to prepare his campaign. “After much careful thought I have decided to stand as a candidate in the 2013 FIA Presidential election,” said Ward in a statement. “The election period begins in September and it will be necessary for me to approach FIA members to secure nominations. In these circumstances I think that the correct course of action is to More…

Posted on July 3, 2013


Welcome to the JA on F1 podcast for July. This month we have a very special edition coming from behind the scenes at the FIA Sport Conference week in Goodwood. The three day event, in the days leading up to the British Grand Prix weekend, featured a wide cast of characters and was focussed on the challenges facing the sport, as well as the work that has been done in key areas. We had a unique opportunity to go behind the scenes and talk with some of the big names; In a rare interview, FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting explains More…

Posted on January 28, 2013


There have been some interesting developments behind the scenes in F1 in the last week, all related to the fact that there is currently no agreement in place binding in the teams, governing body and commercial rights holder, known as the Concorde Agreement. A meeting was held in Maranello, with a select group of top teams and Ecclestone while the FIA’s Charlie Whiting convened a meeting of the Technical Working Group and Sporting Working Group in London. But in the current regulatory vacuum, the outcome was that Whiting would forward the recommendations of the Groups directly to the World Motor More…

Posted on November 7, 2012


Welcome to the JA on F1 podcast for November, brought to you by UBS. This month we have something a bit special. We went to Paris to quiz FIA president Jean Todt on the key subjects of the moment in F1 – the new higher team entry fees, 2014 engines and whether Bernie Ecclestone will have more of a say in making the F1 rules in future, “I will never allow things which are under our responsibility to be dealt with by anyone else,” he says forthrightly. And we have a behind-the-scenes special with the Williams F1 team. Bruno Senna More…

Posted on October 22, 2012


Tomorrow in Paris at the headquarters of the FIA, a very important meeting takes place with Jean Todt hosting the F1 teams and Bernie Ecclestone the F1 commercial rights holder. On the agenda will be the new eight year Concorde Agreement due to start in January 2013, a new FIA regulated cost control mechanism (Resource Restriction Agreement) relating to both chassis and engines, and the subject of spreading the costs of the 2014 engines across the full eight years, so the development costs are not front loaded and too expensive for teams. The idea of tomorrow’s meeting is to move More…

Posted on April 4, 2011


Although he feels that Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley have done a very good job in the past, getting Formula 1 to the point where it is today, as one of the world’s leading sports series, FIA president Jean Todt says he must focus the FIA’s efforts on what F1 needs to be in the future. And, 15 months into his first term as president, he doesn’t rule out running for a second term of office. On Friday I went to FIA headquarters in Paris where Todt gave a rare interview to the Financial Times. My FT colleague Roger Blitz More…

Posted on April 1, 2011


The FIA will not be appointing an F1 Commissioner, Jean Todt said today. At the time of his election as FIA president in Autumn 2009, the Frenchman promised the introduction of a commissioner to represent the FIA at Grands Prix and oversee F1 on a day to day basis. This led to speculation as to who the ideal candidate to fill this powerful new role might be, with various names bandied about, including Gerhard Berger. But 15 months into his tenure as president Todt has decided that an F1 commissioner is not needed, “I had a superficial understanding about the More…

Posted on November 22, 2010


FIA president Jean Todt has hit the media trail in a limited way over the past couple of weeks – particularly in Italy – and has put some interesting ideas out there. Among other things he stated that any new circuit hoping to get an FIA licence will be assessed as much for spectacle as safety. He has even suggested that circuits should be ranked by entertainment value. Todt has not had a high media profile since taking on the job a year ago, particularly on Formula 1, but lately has come out with some more comments. Speaking to La More…

Posted on February 9, 2010


Three months into his tenure as FIA president, a period in which he has kept a low profile and got on with work behind the scenes to restructure the FIA and put new policies in place, Jean Todt has broken cover and started to talk about his agenda for office and the things he wants to get done. He said that he took on the unpaid role of FIA president because of his “passion” for the motoring and motor sport. Yesterday at a small gathering of media in Paris he spoke about controlling costs, the possibility of new team “no-shows’ More…

Posted on October 28, 2009


Claudio Berro, the former press officer from Ferrari has joined the new Lotus F1 team as sporting director. Berro is one of new FIA president Jean Todt’s closest allies in motorsport, having worked with the Frenchman at Peugeot and Ferrari. More recently he ran the Maserati programme and the Speedcar programme. He is a very well organised and genial individual. Todt has a lot of respect for his abilities. Although primarily an organiser, Todt gave him the vitally important role of head of communications early in his tenure at Ferrari and Berro managed to stop the leaks and get control More…

Posted on October 13, 2009


FIA presidential hopeful Jean Todt has sent out a statement to the membership of the FIA clubs today underlining his policy ideas and attacking his rival Ari Vatanen for using dirty tricks and personal attacks in his campaign. With the election now just over a week away, the tone and meaning of Todt’s message is interesting. His point is that he has sought all along to conduct a dignified campaign, whereas he feels Vatanen has been very negative about the FIA, what it stands for today and has gone around belittling what it has achieved in order to stand out More…

Posted on September 28, 2009


This weekend has seen a PR blitz by Jean Todt as the campaign to be elected FIA president enters the final stages. The election is less than a month away and Todt has made his first visit to the F1 paddock since announcing his candidacy. Outgoing FIA president Max Mosley has already publicly endorsed him and this week belittled his rival Ari Vatanen. Also this week Bernie Ecclestone came out strongly in support of Todt. This is no surprise; it was Ecclestone who persuaded Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo to hire Todt back in 1993 when he was at Peugeot. More…

Posted on September 9, 2009


Autosport is carrying a story this evening with some amazing revelations about a meeting which took place between Renault’s Flavio Briatore, Pat Symonds and Nelson Piquet Jr at Singapore last year. Renault stand accused of deliberately causing Piquet to crash, just after Alonso’s early first pit stop, in order to give Alonso the chance to win the race, as the rest of the field would pit under the ensuing safety car. The first ever night race, the Singapore Grand Prix was sponsored by Renault’s title sponsor, ING, making it a perfect day for them. Autosport’s Jon Noble quotes ‘sources’, in More…



COUNTDOWN TO NEXT RACE
Strategy Report
Innovation and Technology brought to you by TATA Communications
Senna DVD
Download the Chequered Flag Podcast here
MTS
Darren Heath
Sport Right Now