Posted on April 8, 2014

The Strategy Report

The Bahrain Grand Prix was one of the most exciting races for many years, featuring wheel to wheel battles throughout the field and lots of interesting strategy work, which affected the outcome. There was a Safety Car, which is a rare occurrence at this circuit and it made for a thrilling climax after the restart, with cars using a mixture of different strategies. But even without the Safety Car, this was a fascinating race from a strategy point of view and here we will analyse and explain some fundamental details which led to the race turning out as it did. More…

Posted on April 7, 2014


The Bahrain Grand Prix was a classic with plenty of strong performances throughout the field. Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg put on quite a show in their fight for the win, but so did the Force India drivers, the Williams drivers and Red Bull drivers among others. So who was your Driver of the Day? Lewis Hamilton Got the jump on team mate Rosberg at the start and held him off on the opening lap. Also fought off an attack at the end of the first stint and then built a lead while the pair were on different strategies. Managed More…

Posted on April 22, 2013


McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh is confident Jenson Button and Sergio Perez will be able to move on after the team mates clashed several times in Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix. Perez, who joined McLaren from Sauber this season, has had a lacklustre start to the season, prompting Whitmarsh to tell him earlier this week that he needs to “toughen up” and “use his elbows” – and in Bahrain, the Mexican did just that. The 23-year-old boldly overtook Red Bull’s Mark Webber and Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso to show signs of the spark which attracted McLaren to him in the first place. More…

Posted on April 22, 2013


Paul di Resta has sent out a message to his Force India team: “Give me a faster car and I’ll get a podium. The Scot drove an impressive race in Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix, leading at one point and spending much of the grand prix in the top three. However Di Resta was passed by the Lotus of Romain Grosjean, who was on fresher option tyres, in the closing stages and had to settle for fourth. Despite just missing out on the first podium finish of his career, Di Resta told JA on F1 after the race that the team More…

Posted on April 22, 2013


Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel became the first driver to win two races this season with an impressive victory in the Bahrain Grand Prix – but behind him, there were countless battles all the way down the field. Kimi Raikkonen bounced back from a disappointing qualifying, which saw him start eighth, to finish second ahead of Lotus team mate Romain Grosjean who secured his first podium of the season. Paul di Resta produced one of the best drives of his career, running in third place in the Force India and on course for his first F1 podium before losing out to More…

Posted on April 18, 2013


The organiser of the Bahrain Grand Prix said today that the F1 personnel attending the race this weekend will be safe and claimed that 77% of the Bahraini people wanted the race to go ahead. I had a chance to interview Zayed Al-Zayani, Chairman of Bahrain International Circuit this afternoon for BBC Radio 5 Live and asked him if he could guarantee the safety of F1 people,” Absolutely,” he said, “They have always been safe here and I think this year won’t be any different.” Last year four Force India staff members were caught in a firebomb incident on the More…

Posted on April 22, 2012


Sebastian Vettel produced a faultless drive from pole position to win the Bahrain Grand Prix ahead of the the two Lotus cars of Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean. This is Red Bull Racing’s first victory of 2012 and makes it four different winners in as many races this season. It was Vettel’s 22nd career F1 victory and his first of the season. He is the fourth different winner in four races. If Vettel’s pace in qualifying was a surprise, it was the Lotus’ performance on race day which caught the eye. Raikkonen, starting in 11th place, had a chance to More…

Posted on April 14, 2012


Yesterday’s robust announcement from the F1 authorities and teams that the Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead appears to have galvanised opposition and provoked a reaction on the streets of the Gulf state. A planned funeral march for Ahmed Ismail, a protestor who was shot by security forces last week, turned violent while there were strong words of condemnation from human rights groups and activists in the country. A report by AP for the American ABC network featured the following passage, ‘ “No F1, no F1. … They killed my son in cold blood,” sobbed Ismail’s mother, Makyia Ahmed, who More…

Posted on March 28, 2012


Today at a lunch at the RAC Club in London the organisers of the Bahrain Grand Prix met with Bernie Ecclestone, several leading F1 team principals and journalists to discuss the forthcoming Bahrain Grand Prix. The message from Bahrain and from the F1 teams was clear: the race is on, despite continuing flare ups of protest in the country and rumours of impending cancellation which have surfaced from time to time during the first two Grands Prix of the season. Many of the people who work in the sport have privately expressed concern about the race taking place. The Bahrainis More…

Posted on June 10, 2011


Last night the organisers of the Bahrain Grand Prix issued a statement accepting that it will not be possible to stage the race this year and focussing their efforts on getting ready to host the sport in March 2012. In many ways this is what the organisers and the government there should have sought to do from the outset, rather than push for an Autumn date this season. With so much going on there, and with uncertainty in the outside world about the extent of the troubles, it was always going to be problematic to try to hold the race More…

Posted on June 7, 2011


The F1 teams have written to the FIA, FOM and the Bahrain Grand Prix organisers, stating their collective position regarding Friday’s FIA World Council decision regarding Bahrain. Having deliberated on it yesterday, the teams collectively, via the channel of the F1 Teams Association (FOTA – which does not include HRT), is understood to have said that they are unwilling to race in Bahrain on October 30th, as was decided by the WMSC and feel that the Indian Grand Prix should be restored to that date, as originally scheduled in the 2011 calendar. It was reported earlier today that the teams More…

Posted on June 7, 2011


The situation over the reinstatement of the Bahrain Grand Prix has been thrown into some confusion by the intervention of Bernie Ecclestone, who appears now to be urging the teams to revolt against the FIA’s decision last week. The decision by the FIA World Council, on which Ecclestone sat – as did Ferrari – has been heavily criticised by fans and commentators alike. On this site 92% of a sample of 4,000 fans said that the FIA had been wrong to reinstate the race. FIA president Jean Todt has explained that the federation acted on the basis of a report More…

Posted on June 4, 2011


Red Bull driver Mark Webber has been the first Formula 1 competitor, either team or driver, to make a statement about the FIA’s decision yesterday to reinstate the Bahrain Grand Prix on October 30th. Writing on his own website he said that he personally is fearful of travelling to the country to compete in an event which has been singled out by protesters as a rallying point for dissent. “As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more More…



COUNTDOWN TO NEXT RACE
Strategy Report
Innovation and Technology brought to you by TATA Communications
Senna DVD
Download the Chequered Flag Podcast here
MTS
Darren Heath
Sport Right Now