How the West was F1
Austin 2014
US Grand Prix
Nico Rosberg signs long term Mercedes F1 deal
Nico Rosberg
Posted By: James Allen  |  16 Jul 2014   |  9:11 am GMT  |  136 comments

World Championship leader Nico Rosberg has signed a “multi-year” extension to his Mercedes contract, it was announced this morning.

The 29 year old, who last week got married to his long term partner Viviane Siebold, has won three Grands Prix this season and leads his Mercedes team mate Lewis Hamilton by four points.

The timing, just before the German Grand Prix, will give him a boost going into his home race. His rhetoric in speaking about the deal was heavy with references to Germany and to being German and the significance of that with Mercedes.

“This new contract brings us important stability and continuity for the future and I am delighted to be able to make the announcement in time for the home race of Mercedes-Benz and Nico in Hockenheim,” said Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.

“Nico has been part of the Silver Arrows project since day one and he has a big stake in the development of the team since 2010. His speed, commitment and focus have all helped to give clear direction and to drive the team forward. With his performances in 2014, Nico has demonstrated to the outside world what we knew already in the team: that he is one of the very top drivers in Formula One.”

XPB.cc

Rosberg is half German on his mother’s side, while his father 1982 world champion Keke Rosberg is Finnish. Rosberg Jr speaks five languages fluently with German his first language and he races on a German licence. He does not speak Finnish. German media colleagues say that while Rosberg is appreciated in Germany, he is not considered embraced by the fan base like Michael Schumacher was, for example. Schumacher, like Nigel Mansell in Great Britain, was able to galvanise blue collar supporters and mobilise them to travel across Europe to support him. That support is noticeably thinner on the ground these days and Hockenheim has struggled this year to sell tickets.

In the pre-war era Mercedes had an international line up of drivers but always with Germans, like Caracciola and Lang as the spine. In the post war era the German drivers like Karl Kling were overshadowed by overseas aces Juan Manuel Fangio and Stiring Moss. Rosberg is an important component of the Mercedes’ play in F1 and as he is able to match their highly paid international star Hamilton, it makes for an intriguing narrative.

One of these two men will be world champion this season.

“I am very proud to drive the Formula One Silver Arrow of the modern era. As a German, the heritage of Mercedes-Benz is very special for me, and I am proud to be able to represent the best car brand around the world,” said Rosberg. “It has been a difficult road to get to where we are now – but everybody kept believing and, thanks to the fantastic support from Mercedes-Benz, we are now leading the way in F1. There has been big progress during the past year, building up our structure, management and capability for the future. We have an awesome team and I am confident that we have the right people in place at every level. I’m looking forward to the next years together, when we will keep pushing to win even more races – and, hopefully, championships.”

1. Anne says:

I can see Nico singing We Are The Champions. Lewis should ask Mick Jagger to predict that Rosberg is going to win this weekend. It´s the only way for Lewis to have a chance.

1. Matías says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! you’re so right!

2. aezy_doc says:

I am making a bold prediction that the security Nico has with his contract will move him to be less competitive. When drivers are racing for their seat they often find 2/10ths. It could go the opposite way to what most people are predicting!

2. AuraF1 says:

I think your comparison to Schumacher is slightly unfair. It’s probably less that Nico has *failed* to ignite German passion and more that Schumacher had an odd charisma that united a lot of German sports fans. We’ve had dropping attendance at German GPs for a while now and lest we forget we had a fully German world champion from relatively humble background for four years – if even the *baby Schumacher* didn’t manage to emulate the crowd drawing success of MS, I don’t quite see how Nico, who has less obvious ties, was supposed to.

1. Sebee says:

After Schumacher success, I think the appeal of a WDC championship may be wearing thin on German fans. They perhaps take it for granted…as in…hey, we own this. It has been a bumper crop for German fans last 2 decades. They aren’t as starved as British fans with one here….one there. When supply is so good…but still, would be good to see them come out and support their drivers.

1. Phil Glass says:

I for one would love to forget nations totally and think of all the drivers as individuals only.

Fat chance that this will happen, even if most F1 fans share my dis-interest in nationalities. It’s so much more sexy for media folk to hype up that aspect …..
        British fans support Lewis, french fans like Jev, etc etc
        lol.

2. AuraF1 says:

Perhaps it’s true though before Vettels run both champions were British – so it’s not like the Brits are going to complain about not having a WDC for ages (oh wait, yes, I’m British and I hear that all the time!) . I just think it’s more likely that The ‘Schumacher’ effect was a bit of a one off in Germany and less an insult to Vettel or Rosbergs ability to bring a nation together in support – after all even Schumacher himself in a nominally German team wasn’t able to bring in vast crowds – it was only the mk 1 Schumacher who managed it.

3. Gaz Boy says:

TBH, after a while, domination just becomes dreary, who ever you are.

4. JakobusVdL says:

I’m with Phil Glass, F1 is an international team sport/business/entertainment, it seems silly to get nationistic about the drivers, or the teams.

3. AlexD says:

I thought it was already announced?

4. goferet says:

Perfect present for the newly wed Rosberg, for with his future secured, he can completely focus on his job as the media won’t ask questions concerning his contract.

Obviously Rosberg has done a good job since the team came into existence, first against Schumi and now Lewis which inversely benefits the team as the number 1 driver needs someone to push him and thus constructor’s points get collected on the way.

Now the only worry I have for Rosberg is with him being in a German outfit, he ”MAY” get hampered the way Schumi was or the way modern Italian drivers don’t seem to make it with Ferrari as it’s always better to work in foreign environments.

As for how Rosberg can galvanize the home fans, I think if Rosberg had a bad boy aura around him, it would have helped for as we know, bad boys sell newspapers e.g. Senna.

Anyway, with the good relations at the Mercedes camp, Rosberg + Lewis can bring the team lots of constructor’s points in the future which is all the team is concerned about.

1. Success is good and ‘sells cars on Monday’ as is having the future driver line-up at least 50% secured. Let’s not forget who is fundamentally responsible for today’s chassis and built the foundation of this “Mercedes Team” by lifting a glass to Ross Braun as well.

1. goferet says:

@ garrett bruce

Oh yes, Ross Brawn’s name usually gets forgotten in the Mercedes success narrative.

Hope the team will send him a little token at the end of the season.

5. Elie says:

Like I keep saying.. German team German driver (regardless of his Finnish dad). Congrats to Nico but this is incredibly premature given both Mercedes drivers are signed till the end of next year already and it just displays where their first priority is. When the other teams close the gap- which will be by 2016-they may need someone who can drive on the very limits constantly something which despite his undoubted success this year Im not convinced of Nico has displayed his entire F1 career.

Nico has thrived with Lewis there same way Jenson did. But look at Jenson now and look at where Nico was before. This decision just limits Mercedes beyond next year particularly if some ballistic new talents join F1 next year and they no longer have Hamilton…which given these kind of indications seem a distinct possibility- albeit like the extension- very premature :)

1. Sebee says:

How is that McLaren anyway? Let’s not blame it on Button or say Button’s performance was thanks to Lewis. It’s a long stretch at best.

2. Phil Glass says:

@ Elie
      If perchance Nico does clinch it this year [not 100% guaranteed as you say]
      I see Lewis pronto back with McLaren and uncle Ron

Now there’s a dilemma Ron does not need, esp if he has Alonso interested :) :)

1. Sebee says:

Phil,

I strongly belive those reports of Ron and Lewis having a chat are true.

Now here is the pickle. It’s always smart to have a Plan B, but you know what they say: You have a Plan B, you maybe don’t push Plan A through as hard. And also, what does Mercedes think of this? Lewis could leave next year regardless if he’s WDC or not – and if he is a WDC he takes Mercedes marketing value away and the #1 with him. Would you let that happen? If I was in charge of Mercedes, I wouldn’t. And thus it may have been an unwise thing for Lewis and Ron to talk at all for appearances sake as Lewis has a lot to lose. Ron, he docan’t lose much here. Lewis should have known better. If we do start to see some type of preference, chalk it down not only to all the national pride talk, but also down to some irresponsible moves by Lewis perhaps trying to put an ultimatum to Mercedes on the table – I’m WDC this year, or I’m out. Oh…and this long term thing does signal Mercedes’ commitment to Nico and Nico’s to Mercedes with no ultimatums, doesn’t it?

2. Elie says:

Sebee I think youve put the cart before the horse. Why would you think Hamilton would even consider talking to Mclaren when he is in such a dominant team atm. Its because he is already seeing some favouritism & sensing something we dont see. I was certain Hamilton would leave Mclaren given the royal arse kissing Jenson got and the operational quagmire that ensued. If your a wc why on worth would you stick around to watch a mildly successful driver converted to a wc through very subtle team tactics..

3. Elie says:

“Phil Glass replied to your comment on Nico Rosberg signs long term Mercedes F1 deal:

@ Elie If perchance Nico does clinch it this year [not 100% guaranteed as you say] I see Lewis pronto back with McLaren and uncle Ron Now there’s a dilemma Ron does not need, esp if he has Alonso interested :) :)

@Phil Glass – i got notification above before your post published. I dont think it is a forgone conclusion about who wins at Mercedes this year. If its very close they will secretly favour Nico- Im very convinced of this. If Lewis is that bit too far ahead – they will leave it be not to jeaopardise their image. I agree if those marginal calls still continue to upset Hamiltons position he will return to Mclaren in 2016 and Mercedes will have a play at Alonso or Hulkenberg.

Quite frankly I would not want a driver whose had 5 years of treatment of a god. Leading the design team to configure a car around pullrod suspension when winning teams dumped it around the time he took it on. He could be the best driver at driving around problems but if those problems are created by his own doing then – goodluck to him and bad luck to the driver “sharing his drive”. Look at Felipe last year- look at him this year. Look at Raikkonen this year look at him last year. When will the brains trust realise the problem at Ferrari is Alonso and hopefully that problem diminishes with a neutrally designed car by James Allison. Everyone can say its not Alonso but No other team wants it and he js the only driver whose partial to it.

1. C63 says:

@Elie
        i got notification above before your post published…

Lucky you! I don’t receive any notification of a response to my posts – am I doing something wrong? I would be very grateful if someone could advise. Thanks

Maybe try signing up again

3. Wade Parmino says:

Oh, because Ferrari are the only team to design their car around one driver. Red Bull built their car not to suit Webber as much as they possibly could! He still managed to win sometimes. I think your disdain for Alonso is like my disdain for Raikkonen; severely biasing our opinions.

4. Elie says:

@Wade
        Does any other team use pullrod front suspension for 5 years?
        Did any other driver have contractual no1 driver in their contract?
        Has any other lead team struggled with handling balance as much as Ferrari?
        Did Felipe Massa struggle with the handling on many occasions?(is he struggling now)
        Does any other driver have a particular preference to the pullrod front??
        Is comparing Red Bulls wc winning cars- handling the same as comparing Ferraris???
        How many drivers/ constructors championships has Ferrari won in the last4- 5 years with a car set up to FA driving preference with unconditional lead status in the team??..

Rhetorical questions for a rhetorical snob

5. H.Guderian (ALO Fan) says:

Elie, are you Ok???
        Are you feeling good???

I’m *really* woried about you.

I’m afraid reallity is being too harsh to you.

6. Elie says:

@H.Guderian-thanks man your right. Im “hiding” here a bit much. & unfortunately some posters past idealogies annoy me more than whats actually being said sometimes.. Have to tone it down a notch or 2.. My bad!

6. Matt W says:

I think moving to Ferrari was a smart move for Schumacher as it provided such a unique narrative that is likely to be never matched, with Ferrari at first seeking to end 21 years of pain only to bring 5 years of unprecedented dominance and excellence.

The dropping attendance is probably in large part due to the now expected success of German drivers, a perception that they are not as good as Schumacher was, and the tinkering with the location of the home race. Hockenheim used to be an utterly unique circuit with the forest segment, but they ruined it when it was redesigned and made an identikit Tilke circuit. At least the addition to Silverstone kept the character of the track. Not to mention that continually switching the venue gets to be a little confusing for the fans.

1. aezy_doc says:

Which fans are confused by a switch in venues? Are you suggesting that some are off to the nurburgring this weekend and when they arrive they will be surprised that there is not a single f1 car in sight?

7. Gaz Boy says:

Nice way for Rosberg Junior to top up his pension pot!

1. Gaz Boy says:

PS Can Williams spoil Nico’s honeymoon at Hockenheim? I got a feeling they have unleashed the beast when it comes to both qualifying and race pace.

1. aezy_doc says:

Not compared to the Merc. How far ahead was Hamilton at Silverstone and he was cruising after Rosberg retired. I am not convinced that had Bottas started second he would have been too much closer either. The Merc still has at least 0.5s in hand in the race. Quali is closer admittedly.

8. Ben says:

So with all this talk about the momentum swinging back in Lewis’s favour Nico has got a lot of cards stacked in his favour. He has just got married, it is his home grand prix, he will be riding on the wave of a German world cup, and now he has just landed a new multi year contract. His confidence will be flying high, especially knowing that Lewis has only closed the gap because of a DNF and didn’t beat him on track (we will never know if he could or not but that is almost irrelevant, Lewis will believe he could of and Nico will believe he couldn’t). So this will be an interesting race, Hamilton will feel like he has the wind in his sails after Silvestone and Nico probably feels pretty invincible right now. Is this a case of an immovable object against an infinite force?

I am going to predict Nico to win this one then, no wait Lewis, Ok Nico, ah but what about Vettel finally getting his act together? But Bottas could get that first win…
    Good job I’m not a gambling man because I would have just lost all my money!

1. Grant says:

Reducing a gap of 29 points to jus 4 is enough to give any driver a real boost.

I think Lewis will feeling a lot more relaxed and informal content in Germany.

9. Sasidharan says:

“He is not German”
    ;)

1. Ben Zard says:

Are you sure.

2. Wade Parmino says:

So does that mean Hamilton is not British? Of course Rosberg is German.

10. Ben Zard says:

I’m not a Nico fan because he claims to be German but his surname is Finnish.

1. RichB says:

is Ricciardo an Australian name?

1. Random 79 says:

It is when you pronounce it wrong :D

2. AJ says:

No such thing really, we’re all recent imports from somewhere else.
        (except for a few)

3. BMG says:

Well said.

2. Sebee says:

Podolski? Klose? Those names OK?

3. sami says:

I think Rosberg is Swedish name.

4. DonFernando says:

And Adrian Sutil, his father and his last name is asian ? Just because Rosbergs dad is famous himself and the F1 media seems to be bored at the moment they picked up on Hamiltons joke. If Rosberg had said that Hamilton is not really british because of HIS father all hell would break loose and this contract extension wouldnt have happened.

1. dazthevillan says:

Hamilton’s father is British.

5. AJ says:

Really, you choose who you like to follow based on their name?

1. Ben Zard says:

6. Wade Parmino says:

Actually, as far as Finnish names go, Rosberg is not very Finnish at all. In fact, if I didn’t know better and was to have a guess at where the name Rosberg comes from, I would say Germany or Austria. Perhaps Keke’s father was German, maybe a soldier?

7. Aaron says:

The guy was born in Germany and has a German passport. What more does he have to do?

1. Ben Zard says:

Like what?

11. Methusalem says:

“Rosberg Jr speaks five languages fluently” But not Finnish? Strange!
    Anyways, what does Rosberg’s long-term deal mean to LH?

1. AuraF1 says:

I guess it means even if Nico beats him and wins a championship, Lewis will still get paid more next year ;)

1. Grant says:

There’s a reason why Lewis gets paid more, and will continue to be.

2. Micke says:

Finnish is strange. Weird, even.

1. C63 says:

I have recently returned from holiday which included a quick stop in Helsinki – wonderful place. Why Nico would claim he is German instead of Finnish is bizarre – oh wait, only 5million folk in Finland and 80million in Germany. Now I understand :-)

2. Gaz Boy says:

RE C63: I’ve been to Helsinki too – charming city, very clean, well organised et al – but my goodness, do the Finns like their vodka! In the same way the British like their bitter, the Germans like the lager, the Finns – and Kimi infamously – do like a drop of the “Viina” as its called. Is it Bottas favourite tipple?

3. Paige says:

Finnish is an incredibly hard language to learn unless you learned it as a native language. It’s also not very useful unless you live in Finland, which Nico never has. Therefore, Keke, being a smart guy, probably thought it was useless to raise Nico to speak Finnish. On the other hand, four of the languages in which he is fluent are widely used in terms of number of speakers. (The exception is Italian, but if you are fluent in pretty much any other romance language, it is incredibly easy to learn.)

1. Gaz Boy says:

Yes, Nando can switch from Spanish to Italian in a 1/1000th of a second because they are both part of the Romano-Latin language family, and have many crossovers. Likewise, German/Danish/Dutch/Swedish/Norwegian are, believe it or not, related to English as they are all part of the same Northern European language family (probably a legacy of the Anglo Saxons and Vikings I guess). Hence, why Northern Europeans can go from their native tongue to English relatively easily.
        Finnish is part of the Finno-Ugric language family, and believe it or not Finnish is related to Hungarian. The Hungarians – or “Magyars” – and the Finns have similar tongues, as apparently they are both descended from Slavic languages. Perhaps somebody else can expand on this, but the point is, Finnish is not a member of the Indo European language family (as English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, et al are) and therefore has very little crossover with other languages.

2. Wade Parmino says:

Fun fact. If someone can speak English, Chinese (Mandarin) and Spanish (Castellano), they can communicate with almost all of the worlds population.

3. KRB says:

Gaz Boy, you are correct about Finnish and Hungarian … not sure they’re descended from Slavic languages. The common family is Proto-Uralic, and the split between Finnish and Hungarian is estimated to have happened 4500 years ago. Crazy to imagine that both languages originated in the area of the western Ural mountains … that is a helluva long trek west for the Hungarians from there!

My wife’s ancestry is half Hungarian … her mom and her family fled the country in the wake of the ’56 Revolution. Her grandparents babysat her as a child, and it’s the oddest thing, she cannot speak the language, but she can understand it (when her mom and her grandpa speak).

4. Spectreman says:

Finnish and Hungarian are definitely NOT Slavic languages. They belong to the Ural-Altaic family, being thus closer to Turkish, Korean and Japanese than to any Slavic language.

5. Spectreman says:

Correction to my previous post: the Ural-Altaic language family is just a hypothesis, which enjoyed wide support from linguists when I studied the subject decades ago. Now it’s mostly considered obsolete, with Uralic and Altaic being each a distinctive family. The consensus still is that Finnish and Hungarian have very little to do with Slavic languages, though.

12. Olivier says:

Nico and Lewis are both Monagesque.

If in doubt, ask for their passport.

1. Paige says:

Neither have a Monaco passport because they weren’t born there. If they were to get a Monaco passport, they would have to give up their respective citizenships.

2. C63 says:

If in doubt, ask for their passport..

That might tell you many things, but Monegasque would not be amongst them ;-)

1. Gaz Boy says:

I wonder if a driver in recent times has ever lost his passport at the airport for one of the fly away races where drivers are unable to use their private jet, as is the case in Europe? Would cause a bit of a scene at the check in!

“Sorry sunshine, you may call yourself Fernando Alonso, but if you haven’t got your passport, you’re not boarding the plane!”
        “Luca? LUCA! I can’t get to Singapore – I’ve lost my passport.”
        “You WHAT?????????????? We pay you £25 million Euros a year and you can’t remember a little piece of documentation.!!!!.”

Obviously, that little scenario is made up, but I bet logistics for a fly away F1 race must be very stress inducing………………..

13. Thompson says:

Strange time to re-negotiate…..

Out of curiosity is the deal putting him on equal pay has Hamilton.

Would have made more sense to negotiate after he’d won the WDC.

With McLaren waiting with their open check book for Hamiltons contract to be up – Hamilton will be in a a strong position if he wins the WDC to negotiate for more money to stay within the Merc garage.

Could cause friction in the future.

But aslong has Nico is happy.

1. Grant says:

As long as Merc has Lewis it’ll be difficult for Nico to out muscle them in negotiations.

You get the feeling it was an easy contract for Merc seal, no extraneous demands from Nico.

1. Aaron says:

We’ll pay you several million Euros per year. We have the fastest car and have proven we are willing to give you a fair shot at the title. Yup, I don’t think I would be negotiating too hard either.

2. Rockman says:

I think a lot of F1 drivers prefer a competitive car over a high salary. Heck even Kamui is driving for free this year just so that he can be in the F1 circuit.

Nico may be banking in the hope that Mercedes remain competitive long term.

1. Thompson says:

I hear you fellas……. but!!

These guys are not only competing on track they’re competing for their place in history.

Unless like Eddie Irvine you have a vision beyond today (he always made it clear he was driving for the cash and cared not for beating Schumacher he’s after career success re-affirms his own ambition) it’s your position in history that most competitive sports people are driven by.

Rosbergs signing is weird.

The perception Hamilton is faster, better etc, him being a no.2 is something he’ll live with long after he stops racing.

If he does beat Hamilton to the title his lower wage will only give some the excuse he fluked it, got lucky etc. Worse than what we see now.

I would have waited.

14. Karima Shah says:

I guess Alonso can kiss goodbye to the Mercedes seat as well! With Red Bull turning him down last season, Mercedes locking their future with Rosberg and Hamilton, looks like Alonso is going to end his career with two world titles won in 2005 and 2006, unless he takes the Mclaren plunge which is unlikely. Ferrari will never win another title until they get Ross Brawn/Adrian Newey or Aldo Costa/Bob Bell to the team.

1. Phil Glass says:

Hi

I’ve got a strange idea Ferrari may win both titles next year if they can sort out their priorities and put their effort behind the better of their two current drivers.

1. Gaz Boy says:

But who will be driving for the (rather knackered) Prancing Horse next year?
        Will Nando walk the plank and seek pastures new? Will Kimi still be around? Apparently, the present driver line up at Scuderia Maranello has “cast iron” contracts for 2015……….but cast iron does go rusty and looses its strength – and so do supposedly unbreakable contracts.
        The key to the 2015 driver market is Mr Alonso, and to paraphrase The Clash slightly. should he stay or should he go?
        The silly season is just about to get even sillier!

2. Thompson says:

@Phil Glass

That’s what’s costing them now focusing all effort on 1 driver.

Ferarri need to build 2 cars that can compete, give both drivers equal opportunity at the WDC.

3. Elie says:

We can only hope through the greatest adversity comes the strongest resolve to win when things (ie car) is more driveable

4. H.Guderian (ALO Fan) says:

Come on!!!!

Clearly Ferrari has only *one* driver.

The other guy, who pretends to be a driver, is being crushed at the moment (8×0).

2. Kristiane says:

Funnily enough, Aldo Costa was a Ferrari designer until he became the scapegoat for the mistake made in Abu Dhabi 2010.

Had they kept him, today’s Mercedes F1 cars would be painted red and badged as Ferrari.

15. Shri says:

Good for Nico bank account.

1. Phil Glass says:

NICO is old enough to have a bank account? to get a marriage licence? to be a main signatory to legal contracts??

Well! Howaboutthat !!

16. Steve JR says:

So this is the first piece of the puzzle to define the driver Market which is all about Alonso. Mark Hughes (sky1) is predicting Alonso to replace Hamilton at Mercedes for 2016…what do you think of this conjecture James? Are you planning a piece to cover the crazy season?

1. Grant says:

Hahaha!

Just as Ferrari becomes dominant.

17. John Rambo says:

Three years and 75 millions dollars that means 25 millions per year and an option of a fourth year and 30 millions dollars.

18. Elie says:

Hi james,

@Phil Glass replied me per word press email but not-visible here yet. You might need to adjust the timing of the email response.

Thanks

19. Pkara says:

Bslloons = Balloons :-D

1. Pkara says:

Stories :-)

20. nik p says:

James, again thank you for a great site. any word on the whole Caterham situation? Looks like Rossi is out which is a shame since word was he was showing promise.

1. Wade Parmino says:

Haas should get him for 2016.

21. Paige says:

A richly deserved extension. The salary I heard is 55€ million over three years. That would put him close to Hamilton’s current salary.

It would be nice if he was to have a championship before getting that kind of money, but he is doing his job and producing at a championship-level rate, so I think the money is fine and reflective of where he is in the current F1 pecking order.

1. Paige says:

Actually, I take that back. Hamilton is making GBP 20 million per year. He’s making a bit more than Rosberg will make.

22. BMG says:

Germany should be proud that he considers himself German.It will be interesting to see how Lewis takes it, if Nico becomes world champion.

I suspect he will sign up to another team at the end of his current contract anyway.

23. zombie says:

At some point within the next 2 years Seb Vettel will make a move. Question is will he follow his idol Michael Schumacher and join the Scuderia to take them back to glory ? Or will he join what could be his “natural home” at Mercedes Benz ? Ofcourse none of this matters if we have another recession and Mercedes decides to pull the plug the same way BMW and Toyota did.

1. Grant says:

Given Vettel’s current performance, no one is excited about what he does in a year or two.

2. H.Guderian (ALO Fan) says:

Do you really think Vettel would join Merc just to be crushed by Nico???
      That would be his end. He must retire. NOW!!!

3. Kristiane says:

What MSc did was he took Brawn with him, formed a formidable force in Todt, Brawn and Bryne, did huge amount of work and voila!

Vettel can’t do a MSc with Newey going to do something else other than F1 next year.

24. Craig says:

Wait a minute – wasn’t Rosberg raised in Monaco and doesn’t he live there now? Seems he is very conveniently “German” when he resigns with Mercedes, thus leading to the PR spin and stories like this. Maybe the reason he isn’t embraced by German fans is that he is never there?

I’m not German but if I were, I might be offended seeing someone earning 25 million euro per year, paying no income tax and not living in my country stating they are a proud representative of Germany.

1. SilverArrow says:

His mother is German. If you had bothered to read the article, you would have figured that out for yourself. And he was born in Germany, so why does it matter where he was raised?

But yes, you’re right, how dare he call himself German. If he wanted to be considered German, little five year old Nico should have taken the initiative to move back to Germany on his own instead of following his father around.

By the way he gets paid by his employers, regardless of whether or not he is a “proud representative of Germany”. So what you’re saying is you’d be offended if a successful athlete proudly represented your country? I sure hope you’re not British then because Lewis might offend you… Let me spell it out for you just in case the point is missed. He, like Nico, also lives in Monaco and pays no taxes.

2. Gaz Boy says:

Most grand prix drivers like in, er, countries which have nice laws about not pillaging salaries…….
      Nando is the odd one out – he moved back to Spain, while Mark W has lived in Aston Clinton, Bucks, for a number of years now. In fact, with the Commonwealth Games not far away, Mark technically could qualify to represent England in some sort of capacity as he has been based in the UK for many years now under the residency rule……………………..
      James Hunt lived in Marbella during the mid to late 70s to avoid the whopping 83% tax rate in the UK at the time, so its not really a new issue regarding racing drivers.

Isn’t Alonso in Dubai now?

2. Rockman says:

Is this for real James, Alonso a resident of Dubai?

This is the first time I’ve seen this mentioned anywhere.

He has headed off there after races this year and someone said that’s what he’s doing now.

May be wrong, I’ll check

3. Wade Parmino says:

No F1 driver ever has lived in their home country on a regular basis. Especially when it comes to declaring earnings.

1. C63 says:

No F1 driver ever has lived in their home country on a regular basis..

You are absolutely correct (assuming you are referring to the the period of their lives when they are in F1). However, in Nico’s case he has never lived there and, for me at least, that is the difference. The Rosbergs hot-footed it back to Monaco within weeks of Nico’s birth and that is where he has lived ever since. Personally, I think it’s a bit convenient for him to claim he is German in these circumstances.

25. Grant says:

Roseberg’s father is Finnish, and therefore so is Roseberg.
    This is not rocket science really.

Congrats to him on contract renewal.

1. Steve S says:

“Roseberg’s father is Finnish, and therefore so is Roseberg.”

So what does that make Hamilton?

1. KRB says:

Lewis’ dad was born in the UK, they’ve lived there all their lives. I don’t think there’s a comparison. I’m sure Lewis could qualify for Grenadian citizenship, but I’m not sure it would’ve been bestowed upon him at birth.

Nico is a German citizen, quite clearly. But people will discriminate, and make judgments as to how German he is, etc. Even Nico has said in the past that he doesn’t feel the connection to Germany that other drivers clearly feel to their country. But that was then, and now he’s found religion.

Here’s where I break out the Canadian politics … there was a good and quite similar example here in the run-up to our last federal election. Michael Ignatieff had come back to Canada after something like 40 years in the UK, France, and then USA, to lead Canada’s venerable Liberal party, the default governing party in Canada for much of the 20th century. The governing Conservatives absolutely hammered him with a “Just Visiting” label, but even worse were some of his own utterances, which usually only confirmed that his view of Canada was still stuck in the 60s/70s when he had first left. Ignatieff led the Liberals to their worst ever result, in both seat and vote-percentage terms, for the first time reduced to 3rd party status in our Parliament.

Clearly voters had judged and discriminated. This for someone who had grown up in Canada, and only left when he was into his twenties.

Nico’s lived in Germany for all of 4 weeks, 4 weeks that he will have no recollection of. Seems to me Nico’s more like German-Canadians, or German-Americans, who have recently been getting their German on while the World Cup was on. If he had grown up in any other country other than tax-shelter Monaco (or similar microstates), no doubt he would’ve naturalized as a citizen of that country. It’s a pretty peculiar case.

2. dazthevillan says:

Lewis Hamilton was born in England, to English parents. That makes him British & English.

2. SilverArrow says:

Well “Roseberg” may well be Finnish, but Rosberg is half-Finnish, half-German. See the difference there? I agree, it’s not rocket science.

3. Garry says:

Rosbergs mother is German, and therefore so is Rosberg.
      This is not rocket science really.

Nico was born: 27 June 1985, Wiesbaden, Hesse, West Germany.

German.

1. Grant says:

Except that we are who our fathers are.

At least in most traditions, including Germany and Finland.

4. KRB says:

Well, his mom is German, so he’s a dual national. But he lived in Germany for all of four weeks, went to school in Monaco and Nice, initially raced karts in France, and initially raced with a Finnish license.

The German references came thick and fast from him in the press release. “As a German, …” really?!? Saying it that way sounds so put on. The whole “more German than Bismarck” routine is positively cringeworthy. He’s trying too hard, like he’s totally bought in to the notion that being the German driver in the Mercedes is his best chance at the title.

JA, do we know any of the terms? I’ve heard £42m, $75m, €50m as the money total, and 2, 3, even 5 yrs as the length. Back at Monaco, it was said to be a 2 yr extension, to 2016. Maybe his increased pay starts right away, so a 2.5 yr deal.

Seems to me Lewis’ teammates do pretty well with their contracts. Button is supposedly on €16m/yr. Nico through Lewis’ data can see that there is a faster way (wonder how much in prior years he would argue with his engineers that there was no more to be had from his laps? Can’t argue when someone else has gone and done it). Still harder to be the knock-off, than the original.

Nico’s done well for himself here. Merc can’t very well pay him markedly less and still claim to view them as more or less equal, so if Nico’s leveraged them on that, then good for him.

Ricciardo has probably got itchy bum at the moment … at €2.5m he’s an absolute steal.

1. Grant says:

“initially raced with a Finnish license”
        And stood next to Finnish Flag….

So clearly when Nico is not being CAPITALIST and focusing on the rewards, his allegiance lies with Finland.

5. Kristiane says:

There is a valid argument no matter how you look at it.

He should race under the FiA flag, just to clear up the matter :D

26. KGBVD says:

I cannot stand the way Hamilton has styled himself this year. He looks like a cartoon.

1. Grant says:

Here’s to hoping you’re a female fan…… :D

2. Pkara says:

& what bearing does that have on his driving ability … zero

Its a fad you should go back to his GP2 days he had a similar look. Nobody mentioned it then.

27. James says:

I only skimmed the story above. I thought that Rosberg had signed an extension just a couple of months back? Must have dreamt this. Don’t really see him as a champion. TIme will tell. Whatever Mercedes say about letting their drivers race fairly, they can always do pit stop and strategy manipulation to put one ahead of the other. They are that far ahead of everyone else, they can play this the way they choose.

28. Sujith says:

Congrats Nico!

29. Jason says:

So is Nico now the highest paid number 2 in the pit lane? :)

Or does Kimi or Button still have that title?

1. Kristiane says:

Don’t recall Kimi on a huge salary payroll for his return to Ferrari. I doubt he or anyone can match his 2007-09 salary currently.

30. aclasschris says:

If Nico pulls off a WDC win this season, it’ll be a 1 and done. He’s a talented driver, no doubt, but not one of the elite in the sport and he’s been blessed with the quickest car on the grid.

31. Craig in Manila says:

So this is a further extension to the extended contract that hit the news back in May ?

Or is this just official confirmation from Merc that the news from May was actually true ?

Confused.

1. KRB says:

Yeah, I guess he actually only signed on the dotted line this past Monday. It is a bit confusing.

32. ferggsa says:

I do not know for sure, and James should be able to clarify or we can ask Nico, but my guess is as follows:

Roseberg is a Swedish name (unlike Hakkinen, Raikkonen, etc.)
    There is a significant population of people in Finland from Swedish origin, where Keke must come from

Nico was born in Germany from a German mother and was raised in Monaco because of dad’s fiscal convenience (as a lot drivers do)
    He speaks 5 languages, German, French, English, Spanish (quite well I might add) and Italian
    He probably never learned Swedish or Finnish because not many people use them and they all speak another language anyway

He works for a German brand that manufactures their racing cars in the UK and use fuel from Malaysia, while racing in 19 different countries, so who cares where he hails from, he is a truly global person if there ever was one, and a mighty fine driver as well

1. JakobusVdL says:

Nice post Ferggsa, a very fast driver and probably one of the most marketable drivers Globally.
      No wonder Mercedes signed him up again

1. KRB says:

Globally??? Outside of the F1 world, Germany and perhaps Finland, no one has heard of him, and no one will care. That’s the brutal truth.

Hamilton is your best bet for a globally marketable driver. Even then, it would be a tough row, especially in N.America. F1 still has a lot of work to do, to make the lasting breakthrough Stateside. Hamilton is F1′s best chance of that.

2. JakobusVdL says:

James, help! Can you get some input from Zak Brown, how does Nico stack up in marketing terms?
        how important are the drivers in building F1 in new markets
        And what are the crucial new markets for F1, the US or Asia and India?

Finally – Will you be able to restart your excellent podcasts, your insights and the input of technical, marketing and team specialists made them incredibly informative

33. Steve Zodiac says:

So Hochenhiem is struggling to sell ticket? Could it be due to the cars being so dreary this year?

1. C63 says:

Only just over 50,000 spectators attended on race day in Germany last year. That wouldn’t suggest this years cars are the problem.

34. Elie says:

I remember seeing a video clip of young Nico in the stands cheering Raikkonen on ( think it was Hungary). Now the boy has grown up and has a German bride he has become German racers living in Monaco. I wonder if his dad & the Finns are slightly disappointed.

1. James says:

If he was a better driver…

1. Elie says:

No if they see him more a Finn

35. BMG says:

Hello, james I have recieved a few personal attacks in reply to one of my comments.
    I’ve notice that you did not post them, I would like the opportunity to reply to them but I can not unless you post them.

No, because we don’t allow posts with personal attacks

Sorry

1. James says:

That’s unfair. I had one lined up.

2. Jason says:

Please keep it that way forever. [mod]. You are the only community I post on with F1 matters James because you keep a close eye on comments. Well done and long may that continue.

36. Kristiane says:

I would be happy for either of the Mercedes drivers to win it this year.

If Hamilton wins, it shows his God given talents of raw speed and a true racer, and that he has learnt despite having talents, he still needed to refine his racing and work style to bag the wins and points.

If Rosberg wins he truly deserves it for his hard work in matching Hamilton despite not having the same raw pace. I read a lot of people saying Rosberg doesn’t deserve it as much as Hamilton because he hasn’t got that natural talent, but why shouldn’t hard work be rewarded for? He knew he doesn’t have the same raw pace as his teammate, he knew he needed to find something and he did through studying Hamilton’s races and data. At least he worked on it, worked for it and made it happen. Had others like Kovolainen, Fisichella or Wurz they probably wouldn’t even get near Hamilton no matter what they did.

Just as long as no dirty tricks are played.