How the West was F1
Austin 2014
US Grand Prix
Some positive news about Michael Schumacher
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 13.45.06
Posted By: James Allen  |  04 Apr 2014   |  11:46 am GMT  |  57 comments

Michael Schumacher is starting to “show signs of consciousness and awakening”, according to a statement from his manager, Sabine Kehm.

The 45-year-old seven-times world F1 champion has been in a coma since a skiing accident on December 29th 2013 in Meribel, France. Doctors have been trying to wake him for the past few weeks and there were discouraging rumours last week that the attempts were having little success.

However, rumours is all they appear to be. Kehm has insisted all along that fans and members of the public should not believe any stories which do not emanate from her office.

“Michael is making progress on his way. He shows moments of consciousness and awakening. We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we remain confident,” Kehm said in this morning’s statement.

Schumacher has been breathing without the aid of machines for several weeks and this latest bulletin would not have been issued if the family did not believe that there was something behind it. They would not want to create false hope.

Organisers of this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix have named the first corner after Schumacher and the message “Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Michael” is emblazoned on the armco barriers.

“When we started out in 2004, if I could choose one name that everyone started picking up, it was Michael Schumacher, ” Bahrain circuit CEO Shaikh Salman told JA on F1, “If you go in to town and say his name then everyone knows him. He also had an input on the first corner when we were designing it, where he had an impact of making it tighter and more challenging because that’s where everything happens.

“There is a lot that he added and in our history he has been the number one driver, so for us that was the reason to do it – he has helped build the culture of Formula One in this region.”

1. John in SD says:

This is encouraging news in contrast to the depressing rumours doing the rounds earlier on. We’re keeping the faith, Michael, and if anyone can do it, you can!

2. wsh says:

A snippet of good news! Michael’s candle is lit every night here – got already quite a collection of candle remains by now – and not only hope that he wakes up, but that the old Michael is still there when he does. Hope is persistent and is only shattered when reached the end, which I hope in turn is still far far away.

3. Jake says:

Promising news indeed.

Although I do hope the typo is your’s James and not that of the Bahrain circuit.

1. Dave Aston says:

I hope the typo is yours.

1. Jake says:

Yes, well played. I noticed too late. :)

2. Tyemz says:

Haha. I hope it’s yours.

3. Rubinho's Keyfob says:

Nice :)

4. Jake says:

Yes, the irony is well noted. I think I was a bit tired. :)

4. Anil Parmar says:

Please keep fighting Michael..keep pushing for victory 92.

A lot of people ask me why I’ve been so upset and concerned about Michael’s condition and it’s difficult to describe..I’ve spent 17-18 weekends a year for over a decade rooting for this guy, when it was difficult and when he dominated, and he always kept fighting, pushing the limits and boundaries of what I thought was possible. He taught me what it took to win and even in his Merc career he surprised me (Monaco 2012 stands out). He was an integral part of my childhood and he was someone I truly believed was indestructable…the German that took Ferrari to the top once more.

Keep fighting Michael..Forever your fan.

1. Di says:

Here,here!!I could not have put it better.I am sure there are thousands who feel the same.All the prayers posted on line have shown how much we love Michael – there has been a torrent of outpouring letters of grief(for want of a better word)I pray that the Dear Lord has heard our prayers for Michael.
      Now we have something positive to hang on to,there is some hope at least.

2. Carol says:

I agree with every word you said. I have supported Michael since the beginning. Sometimes against all odds.i have Michaels poster on my cuboard at work so every time I open the door he is there. No one can match him he is a winner!

5. Sebee says:

Finally something!

6. goferet says:

Thankfully, Kehm warned us not to believe the rumourmongers otherwise the unofficial reports that have been emerging have been worrying.

It’s about time we got some good news and from this update, we see our Schumi is still the same old Schumi i.e. hard as nails.

The best news emerging from the Schumi camp is they are now using big words like ”confident”, which is a big shift from the earlier press statements.

Anyway, it’s a nice coincidence that Schumi has had this improvement at the only circuit that has paid tribute to him >>> in a way it’s like our Schumi is giving the organizers, a thumbs up for the gesture.

1. foreverf1 says:

In a way, I don’t blame the other first two circuits for not following suit. It is a very delicate and sensitive matter.

Remember, Michael is still with us and in the middle of his long road to recovery.

Who knows, maybe the last two organizers feel that it is disrespectful to pay tribute to someone who is still with us. I don’t really know, but I’m sure most circuit organizers have the utmost respect for the contributions of one of the greatest racers in the history of motorsports.

One day, when Michael passes, hopefully in his late 90′s, everyone will pay tribute to the winningest driver in Formula 1.

1. goferet says:

@ foreverf1

But a simple message like get well soon Schumi wouldn’t have been disrespectful.

2. foreverf1 says:

I agree.

2. helen says:

Australia had a message on the big screens before the start of the race however the local broadcaster chose to show adverts at the time it played.

3. M_E says:

I was in two minds about this. Let the F1 media coverage get underway (obviously most would be thinking of him as the new season started anyway) without much mention of all the sadness, or just get on with it (knowing that they dont want to put a dampener on the opening of the season and let the fans enjoy the curtain raiser)

I think they made the right decision. the bbc played it well, acknowledgement with brief updates and sympathy and then a ‘moving swiftly on’ type of…. treatment of the whole situation.

The proposed Malaysian GP minute silence thing is a bit much though, not sure if they did it actually . you dont want to be thinking of big ideas and death right before you have to start a relatively meaningless GP, you want your head in the zone not distracted. there is a time and a place.

back to schumacher, well as the man says he was involved in the design of that corner so it all fit together reasonably well and was more justified than a relatively faux ‘for viewing public PR’ idea that a min silence in Sepang might’ve been/was?

7. Steve says:

Come on Michael, you can do it !

8. DonSimon says:

Forza Schumi!

9. tank says:

Cautious but happy!

10. Random 79 says:

Good to hear :)

1. Gaz Boy says:

It is. Get well Michael. If it takes a long time for Michael to pull through, so be it. Better to be steady than sorry.
      Credit to the medical team around Michael too.

11. Brian Morrison says:

Where is the official statement that MS is no longer being ventilated? I have not seen anything of that nature that isn’t speculative.

1. Allan says:

I don’t think there is anything official, although James seems to have closer sources based on his earler posting on the subject…

Equally, there has been no official confiration that he IS still being ventilated either.

It is tough to keep hopes in check. And, of course coming out of the coma is just one milestone, and there remains great concern about the prognosis beyond that.

However, all prayer and hope to Michael!

12. Domenic says:

I pray for Michael and his family everyday.
    The news of him breathing on his own is good news
    And that’s what his family needs.

13. BrumCar says:

Great news. Come on Michael!

14. aveli says:

he will make a full recovery! just a matter of time.

15. Jussi says:

Thanks for your post, James.

One question. You write: “Schumacher has been breathing without the aid of machines for several weeks”

What is your source of this information? I have not encountered any news of autonomic respiration. Please clarify.

1. aveli says:

how many conscious people do you know on artificial respirators?

16. jmv says:

Heard that they were replaying him radio communications from his F1 days…

wonder if they also making him listen to some v8, v12 and v10 sounds… the v12 he only tested once at Ferrari i believe.

1. Jose Sanchez says:

Yes V12 and v10. Because if you put the new v6 sound, hell come back into a coma, and won’t want ever to come back.

17. Ciaran says:

Good news though perhaps Bahrain would do better not to talk about Michael’s ‘impact’ on anything.

18. Castor says:

Michael, I was not a fan during your career, but I am now. Please get well soon mate.

19. zombie says:

Forza Schumi ! Remember, millions across the world are holding that “PUSH” sign for you, and push you must and you will to overcome the greatest challenge of your life. As Mika Hakkinen said, this is one race where you don’t have to beat the time, take it slow, be strong and keep fighting !

20. Robert in San Diego says:

Strange….. Just yesterday I was thinking about Michael. I spent a fair amount of time in hospital last year and I am only now recovering my physical shape. I was thinking that we need to hear something positive about Michael soon, because the road to recovery only becomes longer.

I never was a great Michael fan,as a racer, but I respect him and his achievements greatly. I really hope this is as positive as it sounds. Keep surging Michael!!

21. jules0711 says:

James, when did the news that Michael is breathing unaided come out and who was the source of the information, please?

1. aveli says:

it’s not normal for a conscious person’s respiration to be carried out by a machine.

22. Peter says:

We’re all behind you champ.

23. Thank you, James, for respecting the wishes of the family and Kehm by not participating in the rumor mill. Other members of “the media” could do well by not attempting to scoop everyone else and staying out of everyone’s face with their cameras and mic’s.

Very much appreciated.

24. KARTRACE says:

Hopefully we will receive some more good news in the days ahead. Stay strong and get better, please God.

25. Karima Ali says:

Just goes to show you should not believe rumors, as they are mostly lies and half truths made out by people who are just trying to get attention. This is really encouraging news about Michael and I hope Sabine keeps us up to date as much as possible. I’ve been praying for the 7 time world champion for many many weeks now and I will continue to do so. Keep fighting Michael, you will always be my hero.

26. Jose Sanchez says:

We want pictures of him right now. We are entitled to them. He has been part of our lifes for 20 years. They didn’t mind when making millions, to be in the new everyday, so now we are entitled to know how he is. [mod]

1. Lockster says:

Entitled?? Grow up!!

What a disrespectful comment to make, as if you are owed anything from anyone, try losing your sense of “entitlement”, you’ll enjoy a better life…

2. Ahmed Sydney says:

Jose,
      I don’t agree. I don’t want to see any photos, period.
      Respect to his family, just because he was such a universal figure, it doesn’t give the public a right to demand anything except what the family would like to release when and if they are ready.

1. Jose Sanchez says:

Fair enough. Everybody is entitled to his opinion.
        I wish him to recover. He needs a miracle though.
        I understand its a emotional moment for some fans. They feel schumi is like a member of their families. He was in the dinning room for 20 years. This happened to me in 1982, when Gilles died. But its all an ilusion.
        He had an accident, it was his mistake, and he was to a good sport when driving. He just happened to be the one with the best record.
        I repeat. The fans want to see some pictures. Bild are you listening?

3. Tom Bradley says:

Vile comment. James would agree with me.

27. Paul D says:

Saw a great Louis Theoroux documentary the other night and one guy made a miracle recovery from a head injury which none of the doctors thought was possible.

It gives you hope and I continue to prey for Schumi.

God bless.

28. Mack says:

Pleased to hear continued signs of improvement. Thoughts with you Michael.

29. Ahmed Sydney says:

Schumacher is my inspiration when it comes to anything competitive. His determination to win, unrelenting pressure and devotion to his team are the qualities that I value the most.
    Whilst I will always be an F1 fan, it’s just not the same without your presence Michael…

Keep fighting, thoughts and prayers are with you…

30. NJ says:

One of the things I distinctly am looking forward to is when he wakes up… to discover Mercedes are dominating the F1 World championship….

Then he will wonder: “They are now a second faster than anyone?!? How long have I been asleep?” :p

31. Laura Lee Randall says:

Schumi you are going to win this race… My thoughts and prayers are with you! The love of your wife and family and friends is healing you..

32. Elie says:

Good to hear thanks James. This follows the remarkable news here in Aus of young Liam Knight walking into court only a year after being speared through the head with a steel bar.

Hopefully Michael comes round soon & says when I get my hands on that damn snowman Im gunna flog him for cutting off at the pass

33. CJ says:

So happy with this news about Michael, I do also hope he is breathing on his own, surely he must be? Anyway I know it’s a very long and tough road ahead for Michael, but with the love of his family, friends and fans I’m sure he can do it. Thank you to the medical staff who have done so much to keep our Schumi with us, they are amazing people.