May the best man win
Title Showdown 2014
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Massa thinking of Schumacher as F1 teams get ready to race in Australia
Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 18.40.53
Posted By: James Allen  |  13 Mar 2014   |  8:43 am GMT  |  25 comments

Felipe Massa has spoken about his former team mate Michael Schumacher on the eve of the first Grand Prix meeting since Schumacher was injured in a ski accident and revealed that he has a Michael Schumacher tribute on his crash helmet.

“I always think about him every day, pray for him every day so I really hope that things can go back and be OK for him,” said Massa in Albert Park paddock this afternoon. “For sure it was a shame to see what’s happened but I keep thinking about him, he’s on my helmet and we’ll keep praying and believing that things can be OK for him and he’s coming back.”

Yesterday Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm issued a statement, knowing that the seven times champion and his condition would be a talking point this weekend.

“We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient,” it read.

“Michael has suffered severe injuries. It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation.

“It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael. We are taking this fight on together with the team of doctors, whom we fully trust. The length of the process is not the important part for us.
It is heart-warming to see how much sympathy his family is shown and I can say that the family is extremely grateful for it.

“However, it should not be forgotten that Michael’s family is dealing with an extremely intimate and fragile situation. And I would like to remind all of us that Michael has always actively kept his family out of the public eye and consequently protected their private lives.

“We try to channel all the energies we have toward Michael and we firmly believe that this will help him. And we believe that he will also win this fight.”

1. Ivan says:

We all pray for Schumi and are with him in our thoughts. Fingers crossed he gets better soon and recovers fully from this terrible accident.

2. Mobeen Shafaat says:

Love you Massa, you’re a true friend. Michael our prayers are with you always. We WILL see you with that infectious smile of yours real soon. Amin

3. goferet says:

Good on Massa for keeping his mentor Schumi in his thoughts through prayers and actions. Now wishing he can score a podium this weekend so he can dedicate it his mate.

We’re thankful for the new updates emerging from the Schumi camp as we wait for further developments in his condition.

But for sure, the day Schumi opens his eyes again will be celebrated as his second birthday for it has really been a tough fight and not many people emerge victorious in these kind of situations.

God bless Michael Schumacher.

4. CC says:

Get well Michael – and lovely to see Massa speaking from the heart about a dear friend.

5. Feral says:

My thoughts will be with Michael …. get well soon Schumie.

And a win for Felipe, I hope puts a smile on Michael’s face and helps him to wake up :)

6. David in Sydney says:

Massa for the win in Australia and to dedicate it to Schumi getting over his current predicament!

7. RichardD says:

Let’s hope that Massa can dedicate his win in Melbourne Michael!

1. Michael says:

That would be awesome on so many levels!

2. Sebee says:

That would be something. Nice call.

3. cj says:

Cheering on Felipe this year he is a great guy, I hope he wins in oz and dedicates it to Michael. Forza schumi

4. Olivier says:

I’ll be fighting my tears if that happens:

1. For Massa & Williams to be back on top of their game.

2. For Michael as Massa himself has proven that one can indeed come back from such a life threatening injury.

5. Random 79 says:

I think that would be one of those classic moments in motorsport.

Best of luck to you Felipe :)

8. Truth or Lies says:

Keep fighting Michael, your in all our thoughts.

Be so great to see Felipe Massa, a head injury survivor have a great season, best of luck starting in just a few hours now !!!

9. Khan says:

Only if Massa can win championship, what a story that would be. I think F1 needs to have a champion like him to connect with the world emotionally. He will be a much popular champion then Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Button and Vettel.

10. NickH says:

What a guy Massa is, truly great bloke. Keep fighting Schumi, all our thoughts are with you. I’ll be putting some money on a Massa podium this weekend.

11. Martin (England) says:

I’m a massive long time Williams supporter and have never forgiven Michael for Adelaide 94 but I will if he wakes up and we have to believe that he will, get well soon Champ.

12. Chuck 32 says:

The quality of the men and women found in F-1 never fails to inspire me.

13. zombie says:

It is truly nice of Massa to have Michael’s name on his helmet, and have him in his thoughts and prayers, a true friend indeed. I’ve read Ross Brawn visiting the hospital frequently and talking to the comatose Schumacher, playing him the pit to car radio from the 90s and early 2000s. Jean Todt and Montezemolo have frequently spoken about staying in touch with the doctors and Michael’s family. Michael seems to have made a special place for himself in the hearts of those who knew him well.

I hope Ferrari and Mercedes will have some sort of message on their cars to convey their support and their thoughts. Stay strong Michael, and keep fighting !

14. Valentino from montreal says:

The best there is ,
    The best there was ,
    and The best there ever will be

( quote from Bret Hart )

Michael Schumacher # 1

15. Jose Sanchez kowalsky says:

Massa winning. I wouldn’t put money on it.

16. Fastfastfast says:

This is why I respect Massa. Straight up guy. What you see is what you get. His first tweet when he found out that Michael had a serious skiing accident almost brought me and the missus to tears. What a true friend. I hope he wins one for Michael.

17. Lee says:

I’ll be thinking of my hero at turn 6 this weekend as I have at every Melb GP since 1996 where he was visibly faster than anyone else,Get well Schumi

18. Werewolf says:

I wonder if the race will be on in Michael’s room. It would be wonderful if he could react positively to the sounds.

19. danny almonte says:

He needs to be more ruthless and focus on his race. Sentimentality is for after the race. Toughen up Massa.