A return to winning ways?
Marina Bay 2014
Singapore Grand Prix
The return of one of the F1 fans’ favourites
XPB.cc
Posted By: Matt Meadows  |  22 Jan 2014   |  4:03 pm GMT  |  99 comments

The announcement that Kamui Kobayashi is returning to the F1 grid this year with Caterham was greeted positively by F1 fans and it was noticeable in the Caterham factory yesterday how buoyed the team were with his signing.

Kobayashi lost his place on the F1 grid in 2013 because he couldn’t rustle up a budget, with Japanese businesses unwilling to find him. He has returned on a deal whereby he appears to be racing effectively for nothing, with Caterham believing that preferable to running a pay driver with less talent and pulling power with fans.

Now he’s regained his place, Kobayashi believes that Honda’s return to Formula One as an engine supplier in 2015 will offer fresh possibilities to get support in Japan to cement his place on the grid long term.

After two Grands Prix for Toyota in 2009, a successful three years with Sauber followed, including a popular Suzuka podium in 2012 that thrust him in to the limelight and made him the best Japanese driver of his generation. But with budget constraints restricting his ability to compete last year, he joined Ferrari’s GT team and turned his attention to a 2014 race seat.

“I have to say, I think with Honda returning to Formula One there is more chances for us,” said Kobayashi at the Caterham HQ yesterday.

“After announcing that I am driving for Caterham today it will take one or two years, but next year there will be more of a chance, when Honda are back. There will be a bigger TV audience and more media.”

As with all returning and rookie drivers in Formula One budget plays a vital role, and without it a driver needs to have an exceptional talent to take a seat at one of the best teams – examples like Lewis Hamilton in 2007 and Kevin Magnussen this year are few and far between. And with Kobayashi racing unpaid this year it gives a sign of the determination needed to have the eventual shot at a bigger team.

Kobayashi reiterated this by saying that he spoke to a couple of teams required backing from him, and as he could not match their requirements he had to look elsewhere. When asked at what point he first met Tony Fernandes, Kobayashi said that the end of December was the first time they had met to discuss their 2014 plans.

This is surprising given his time out of Formula One last year and prompted a question regarding whether he had spoken to other teams.

“Well I was talking with other teams, but it’s all about money. They say that if we could bring a sponsor then they would hire me, but I can never get a sponsor. So that’s why I had no previous chances.”

Kobayashi became a fan favourite thanks to his battling style, with some sublime overtakes. However he would be the first to admit he struggled with consistency, especially in qualifying performance. He and Caterham have a programme to work on this in the simulator and it will be very interesting to see whether he can raise his consistency level to the point where he is able to deliver close to the maximum every qualifying session.

1. Joost says:

Kamui was one of the few drivers that really went for a gap! Happy to see him back again. Unfortunately at Caterham for him…

1. Dave C says:

I suppose it’s not a bad thing to be just in F1 but Caterham are officially the worst team in F1 and probably has no future with Fernandes throwing toys out of his pram due to finishing last, fair enough he wants to talk about lack of performance from his own team but to ridicule F1 like this is uncalled for, lets remind Fernandes his beloved QPR was RELEGATED and fighting just to get back into the premier league, this man might have got luvky in business but as a sporting boss he has done nothing and needs to shut up to be honest.
      Ok now to Kobayashi, well it might be enough to dislodge Marrusia but getting points will still be a big ask, good luck to Kamui but he deserves a midfield seat.

2. Tealeaf says:

What I don’t get is when Kobayashi was in exile from F1 last year why didn’t Toyota offer him a seat with their Le Mans team?

1. Raj says:

It’s because he was driving for Ferrari’s sports car program.

2. vvipkho says:

This is good news, was a busy day at caterham yesterday.. every media have saw caterham new livery ..

3. Nika Wattinen says:

I realise that it isn’t an ideal situation for him, but it is quite refreshing to see a professional sportsman taking a longer term view.

I’m sure that raacing unpaid won’t exactly take the beans off his toast, but as popular as he was first time around, I think a lot of people will be behind him this year.

And if his travel budget runs dry, he can stay in my spare room for the Singapore GP.

1. Random 79 says:

That’s very generous of you and fine for Kobi, but what about the rest of the team? ;)

2. J.Danek says:

“I realise that it isn’t an ideal situation for him…” <— Really?

I'd think Kobayashi would consider this ideal, given the alternative was another year driving sports-cars, on the outside of F1 looking-in!!

1. J.Danek says:

Obviously I’m being sarcastic…

It’s ridiculous that a driver of KK’s reasonable skill, who is a huge fan favorite, is not drawing a salary.

Unless he is drawing a salary and it’s just coming from his supporters, and not from Caterham’s already-existing budget?

2. James says:

I imagine his salary will come from personal promotional deals etc… sponsorship is different to being all over Japanese media!

4. HerrE says:

Well, consistent or not. First he will have to beat his teammate. That’s not going to be a walk in the park (no I’m not thinking of Albert park).
    It’s a big misstanke to underestimate Ericsson.
    Trust me, time will tell.

1. Dave Aston says:

Why should we trust you?

1. HerrE says:

Ehh…because I’m trustworthy?

5. Brace says:

Not mine fav. Couldn’t care less. They all deserve a chance, and unortunately, not all of them get it, but I don’t think Kamui was neither much better than an average guy, nor was he given a less of a chance than majority of other drivers.

1. Voodoopunk says:

“They all deserve a chance”

Why?

2. Dutch Johnny says:

Agree brace, Entertaning but average. I would rather have frijns next to kamui though.. its just unbelievable that a GP2 champion can’t get in f1 but a guy wich finished sixth in the same series does. Sad state of affairs f1 is in these days.

6. Dai Dactic says:

I can understand a talented driver racing for no pay in these straitened times . . .

but surely there must be some kind of points bonus arrangement?

(not like the one Raikkonen experienced, mind you)

1. Random 79 says:

Points? Caterham?

I have a feeling that if Kobi (or Ericsson) manage to score a point for Caterham this season they’ll pretty much be able to write their own ticket :)

1. Jose Sanchez says:

But just think if he gets a point or two. He will get a lot of crédit for ir. People want to believe.

2. Dai Dactic says:

Caterham might win a small prize in the 2014 techno-lottery . . ?

3. Random 79 says:

It’s possible.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the team, but it would be nice to see them get a points result or two.

7. Chromatic says:

Alas, the Koby of Abu Dabi 2009 who gave Jenson a lesson in overtaking gutsiness disappeared soon after. His twin at Sauber did not do as well.

1. AuraF1 says:

Kobi driving without pressure seemed to be a genuine racer – Kobi driving to save his job fell apart. I’m not sure which will show up at Caterham tbh.

2. John in SD says:

But he hammered his team mate Heidfeld at Suzuka in 2010. Lots of overtakes.

3. Cliff says:

Remember the overtakes well, but I’m not that he gave JB a lesson. Afterall JB did finish third on the day with KK back in sixth place.

1. LeJimster says:

Err Kob was driving a slower car *and* he only drove 2 races in 2009.. With no pre-season and little to no testing, that was stunning, he beat his considerably more experienced team mate Trulli.

It’s amazing how people have selective memories when they’re not interested in a driver.

2. Cliff says:

On the contrary, i’m please that KK is back in F1, just putting the other side. Personally, I think its sad that F1 couldn’t find him a drive, not because of his talent, but because of a lack of funding. As for the overtaking, had he not been able to overtake I suspect he wouldn’t have got a drive in F1.

8. MichaelG says:

Kobayashi is a real character, a fan favorite, who’s also an exciting driver – F1 should be trying to attract and retain drivers like him.

He deserves a mid-field car, at the very least. If it’s money he needs to stay in F1 or move back to the mid-field, I hope he can attract it, especially from Japanese sponsors, most of whom have very deep pockets.

9. goferet says:

Hahaha what a story, what a fairytale… maximum respect all round to the main characters namely Tony and Kobayashi.

Welcome back to the other samurai for some reason there’s never a dull moment with the Japanese drivers be it Nakajima senior, Nakajima junior or Sato >>> they all bring fun to the festivities.

Am mighty impressed by Tony’s reason for hiring Kobayashi and in so doing foregoing pay drivers in favour of a real racer and for this alone, I wish the team lots of success preferably the F1 points.

As for Kobayashi, am looking forward to some nice battles as he elbows his way through the pack >>> Good stuff.

Here’s to wishing Honda can open some more doors for Kobayashi in 2015 and beyond.

P.s.

If Caterham is still close to the back of the grid in 2014, I guess Kobayashi’s qualifying inconsistency really wouldn’t matter as he would still be at the back.

1. AuraF1 says:

You’re impressed that Tony hired a driver who brought donated cash and will drive for free? Hey that’s the type of employee most business owners would love!

2. Random 79 says:

Good point, but I think it’s his racing consistency they’re concerned about :)

10. Bimi says:

Wohooo go Kobayashi-san
    Now i have a reason To Watch the backmarkers.

11. Gene says:

The scene of the entire Japanese crowd chanting “Ka-mu-i! Ka-mu-i! Ka-mu-i!” as they waited for him to step onto the Suzuka podium still puts chills up my back every time I think of it. So great! It was such an inspired drive for him, and I’m hoping he can put together the consistency this time out and help Caterham. He could add another chapter to his legend if he earns them their first Formula 1 points… This certainly seems to be the year to do it!

Maybe the addition of Kamui will help garner more on-camera interest in the battles between Caterham and Marussia. I remember a couple years ago at SPA, we saw some incredible Marussia/Caterham passing/dicing… but it was only caught on camera because the leaders were about to lap them. :)

12. Dante says:

Welcome back, KK!

13. Richard says:

I have to say that I like Kamui Kobayashi’s spirit and his willingness to have a go if he has the machine under him. I’m not sure about Fernandes because in this sport teams don’t just have to box, they have to box clever to make headway. It’s about many things and of funding is essential, but not necessarily everything because it’s about having the right people in the right places particularly in the design/engineering environment. – In short specialist knowhow.

14. Matt W says:

At least when WWE do a big return, they at least put some razzmatazz into it. This was quite disappointing.

1. Random 79 says:

You might be the first person who actually wants F1 to be like WWE.

Don’t worry, if Kobi races anything like he did before he’ll provide plenty of entertainment :)

2. AuraF1 says:

Maybe they could have kept him in a mask and he could have torn it off on the grid to reveal the Kobi before he runs over to Sergio Perez and cold cocks him out to a cheer from the crowd.

Meanwhile arch-enemies Alonso and Hamilton join forces to clothesline Vettel in the pitlane while Charlie Whiting shrugs his shoulders as he was looking the other whilst distracted by Pastor ‘The Drug-thug’ Maldonado using his seat to smash Grosjean into a knockout…

Actually that sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I shouldn’t be allowed to make WWE jokes.

1. Random 79 says:

And you forgot to make a Vince McLaren joke :)

2. AuraF1 says:

D’oh! There goes my satire licence anyway…

15. JB says:

Welcome back kobayashi!
    Hopefully you will land yourself in a better drive after the caterham stint

16. Howard P says:

Koby needs to work on his consistency for sure, but it means squat if Caterham cannot make up that wide gap between them (along with Marussia) to Toro Rosso, Williams and beyond. I still recall Fernandes’ interview on the BBC forum in its 2nd year, when they said their roadmap would be to battle the midfield and then challenge for the championship in 5 years’ time.

That went well.

17. Gudien says:

Caterham is now one of my favourite teams!

18. Rich B says:

he did pull off some great moves but I don’t rate him as high as some people appear to. because of his great overtaking I think his inconsistency gets forgotten or missed. Maybe he would’ve improved on this if sauber kept him on as they should’ve. His 3rd in japan was superb.

19. Erik says:

This boy should have been in the second Ferrari about 2 years ago, when questions about Massa’s speed were first raised after his accident. He would be a hosehold name over there by now and F1 would be enjoying a renaissance in Japan.

A fighting spirit in a red Ferrari? Nigel Mansel anyone?

1. Derek R. says:

I keep saying this as well. Kamui is honestly not a WDC winning driver, but he is an excellent team driver. He can get points for a team and play the much needed No.2 role that Ferrari and Alonso would like to have.

1. LeJimster says:

He has improved every year in F1, he continues to get faster.. And I think WEC last year has improved his consistency. With access to a simulator, hopefully he can get into his groove faster and more consistently for Caterham.

For me he has WDC potential, but he was very unlucky in 2013 imho.. A few accidents that weren’t his fault and Perez lucking into winning tyre strategies because of his poor qualifying made Koba look worse than he is.

2. LeJimster says:

*2012 not 2013 =)

20. Bart says:

OT James, do you plan to do an article on Kubica?
    He did a great job in Monte Carlo last weekend (even though crashed out). I think it shows the level of F1 top drivers.

1. CT says:

Kubica did very well, though I do not agree that it shows the level of F1 top drivers. Look at Räikkönen, who under three complete seasons just managed half the stage wins (1) of what Kubica managed during his first WRC event. It has very little to do with F1. Kubica has always displayed a genuine interest in rally, and has followed it closely.

1. Bart says:

Kimi was blindingly fast in WRC, however, one could question his commitment and, according to Marcus Groenholm, wasn’t able to cooperate well enough with the co-driver who is a cruicial figure in rallies. Kubica is 110% focused and super-motivated.

I think F1 is about very quick reactions in miliseconds, if you have this base you can do well in any motosport if you are committed.

2. CT says:

I don’t agree that he was blindingly fast. He was fast sometimes, but when he didn’t do well he lost motivation. Kubica has talent for driving cars in the fashion you do in rallying.

All racing is about very quick reactions however, you need to react with the right action, not just react. Rallying differs in that, on gravel and ice atleast, you have to react before the car starts to turn and predict what it does before. You do that in F1 too of course, and things move a lot faster, but not with the same low grip levels.

3. Bart says:

He was very fast, I read a couple of opinions, and could have done very well, but he lacked motivation. Unlike Kubica.

They both don’t have much experience in rallying, which is crucial along with the ability (or willingness) to collaborate with the co-driver. When you predict, you base your prediction on the experience you have and on what the guy sitting beside you tells you. The speed alone is not enough.

Before GB rally last November Kubica spent hours watching SS onboards from previous years on youtube. I doubt Kimi would ever do that. That’s the difference between the two. Kimi wasn’t just as motivated as Robert.

21. Isabelle Ringing says:

Meadows: “with Japanese businesses unwilling to find him”

Well, Kobayashi is Japanese so I’d start by looking for clues in Japan. Kamui can’t be that hard to find.

1. Random 79 says:

If this F1 thing doesn’t pan out he can make a living selling “Where’s Kobi?” books :)

1. AuraF1 says:

‘He’s at the back…again’

‘Oh no wait, he’s back in another formula since Tony F threw his toys out on page 2015…’

2. Random 79 says:

Page 2015?

That’s one hefty book :)

3. AuraF1 says:

Oddly it matched the year he walked away!

22. greg says:

I best order my KK Caterham cap and t-shirt. Welcome back.

23. Richard says:

typo – unwilling to fund him

24. Albert Park says:

Good to see him in the sport again and to once again have a Japanese driver.

25. Random 79 says:

“They say that if we could bring a sponsor then they would hire me”

Understandable maybe, but still a sad state of affairs.

26. Hoovie says:

Very pleased Kamui is back. I would love Karun C. to get a drive back in F1 as well. Those two are better then many of the drivers in the midrange teams for sure.
    Lets hope the rule changes catch out the grandees a bit a bit and the back runners get a chance to shine occasionally :)

27. Joe S says:

Is Kobayashi at least getting expenses covered or is a genuine everything for free year?

1. Krishna says:

Great question, I was wondering the same…James – any insights?

2. Doohan says:

Well I’m sure he can eat the catering and he doesn’t have to worry about travel costs and all that kind of thing one would have to imagine. Plus the caterham guys seem to get hooked up with sponsor goodies quite regularly if their twitter feed is anything to go buy.

3. J.Danek says:

Didn’t the GPDA negotiate a FIA-mandated minimum salary for all F1 drivers, including reserve? Something like 30k euros per annum?

1. Kamui Fan says:

If not they ought to.

Of course most ‘pay-drivers’ pay themselves from their sponsor money.

I also think that there should be a salary cap of say €10m the rest can be made up with sponsorship or bonuses.

28. GP says:

My first in over a year and I’m told to slow down… Not exactly F1 standards.

1. Random 79 says:

After posting a comment?

It is funny – you can bang on and post comment after comment, but leave it for two days and then on the next one it tells you to take it easy :)

29. Matt says:

Once again this proves that Formula 1 is still undoubtably the pinnacle of motorsport. Kamui has turned down a well paying sports car drive (with Ferrari no less) in order to drive for free with the F1 team that came last in 2013.

I wish KK and Caterham all the best this year and hopefully they spring a a few suprises along the way!

30. Fernando Cruz says:

Kobayashi is good but not great. Bruno Senna is not great either but at least he did better last year (in the WEC), so he deserved even more to be back in F1. Even more so because the japanese had already 3 years with a good F1 car, while the brazilian had only one full season with a good one (and even that one it was not a fair chance due to losing all those free practice). It just shows how overrated Kamui is, as with simlar machinery and conditions (GP2 and WEC) Bruno was better than him.

1. Dave Aston says:

By that reasoning, Tom Kristensen should be in a Red Bull. In equal F1 cars, Kamui would destroy Bruno Senna.

1. Fernando Cruz says:

In equal f1 cars they were evenly matched! Bruno even won most of the battles they had since late 2011! But the point is not so much in equal f1 cars but on EQUAL CONDITIONS! Starting in f1 in 2009, just months after his 2008 GP2 season, Bruno Senna would be winning races if he had a car as good as the Brawn GP was! He would perform much better also because he was at his best, full of confidence, coming from a competitive GP2 season! But even losing all that ground through no fault of his own (due to financial crisis leading to Honda’s withdrawal) he still did well enough to stay in F1, given the conditions he had. He never had a fair chance in F1, differently to Kobayashi and others that din’t deserve it so much judging by their results in GP2!

2. Cathy Oliveira says:

Dear Fernando Cruz:

Kamui Kobayashi is one of my favorite pilots in F1. He is the best Japanese pilot in the world. The Japanese is a very courageous man. I love his style! Bruno Senna is only the nephew of Ayrton Senna.

2. Joshua says:

Driver Points
      —————–
      Kobayashi 98
      Senna 94

[mod]

1. Fernando Cruz says:

Senna had an engine failure in the last race, otherwise he would finish the championship with more points than Kobayashi. In that last race the Ferrari AF Corse was better than the Aston Martin and even so Bruno was already third, ahead of the japanese, when the engine broke.

Bruno could have been champion if it wasn’t for the bad luck he had in Le Mans, losing 50 points there after his partner Fred Makowiecki put the car at the wall while leading, at the 19th hour. Numbers don’t tell the whole story. The Aston was quicker mainly in qualifying. The Ferrari was more reliable and as quick as the Aston in many races. Sometimes it was even a little bit quicker. Senna was better than Kobayashi overall, quicker than the japanese in qualifying in comparison with their team mates and better in the average race pace. Senna won races, just like his team mates Mucke and Turner, while Kobayashi didn’t. His team mate Bruni won races and was champion.

2. Carlos Silva says:

I am Brazilian and I think Kamui Kobayashi is better than Bruno Senna. Bruno has only a famous surname.

3. Fernando Cruz says:

Bruno is underrated because people compare him with Ayrton. Kobayashi is overrated because he is the best japanese ever. But given equal conditions the brazilian proved last year he is more than a match for the japanese. In f1 he never had a fair chance but sometimes he beat the japanese on track. I remember Malaysia 2012: the Sauber was a great car there, Perez was challenging Alonso for the lead and Kobayashi was nowhere. He was destroyed by Bruno Senna in a wet track, the brazilian overtaking him easily while charging from last to 6th place finish.

The point is that people tend to compare what is not comparable. Instead of comparing Bruno with Ayrton, people should compare Bruno with his rivals. With a lot less experience after losing so many formative years Bruno did well every time he had a fair chance, in equal cars, in F3 and GP2. I have no doubt he would be a winner also in f1 if he had a fair chance. That would have been starting with the right car at the right time. But he had none of that, his career going backwards for almost 3 years through no fault of his own. So he could never be near his true potential. As a driver who lost the normal formative years in karting he needed the support and continuity Damon Hill had in his time. If he was given similar conditions to those Hill had, i have no doubt Bruno Senna would get similar results in f1, as he was/is at least as talented as him. Not a great driver, but more than capable to win in the right circumstances.

Another thing some people don’t forgive Bruno is his boring driving style, much more like a Prost or a Button than a Senna (Ayrton). In that sense Kobayashi is more exciting to watch. Just like a Keke Rosberg was more exciting than a Alain Prost. But was Keke a better driver than Prost? No, he wasn’t.

4. Mike S. says:

Fernando Cruz:

Sorry, but Bruno Senna is not a good driver. Kobayashi is better than Bruno Senna

5. Alexander Biryukov says:

Mister Fernando Cruz:

I am sorry to say, but Bruno Senna is a weak pilot. He is only a “pay driver” with a famous surname. The nephew of great Ayrton does not have capacity to stay at Formula One. There is no difference between Indian Narain Karthikeyan and Bruno Senna. Kamui Kobayashi has more competence than the Brazilian pilot. By the way, the Japanese was confirmed as a Caterham driver. Senna is out of F1. Kobayashi is an exciting driver. I respect your opinion, but Kamui is a good professional and a nice boy.

31. gpfan says:

I’M ECSTATIC!

Next to Fernando, this chap
    is back to being my fave on
    an F1 grid.

Well done, Kamui.

32. ChrisMc says:

Do you think Kamui burned a bridge by leaving Ferrari?

No, I think he wanted to race again and that chance would not have come from where he was at Ferrari

1. Pete says:

James is it true that Stefano was willing to offer him more testing roles with the simulator? Could that have led to a seat?

33. Hayden says:

I mat sound,naive but… to hire someone because he is driving for free seems to display a lack of class…

Unless some detail is missing, He literally brings in money for the team but none of which is for himself…

Team only pays for everyday expense such as hotel and travel…

If you are at that point where drivers gets nothing as a monetary return, how do even,dare to call themselves a “team”…

34. Allan says:

Curious to know what it really means when you say “driving unpaid”? Absolutely nothing, not even travel and accommodation? Any bonus/incentives for points?

35. Johnson says:

Kamui driving for free is cheapening the sport and putting more precedence on the driver market in a bad direction. Once teams get used to free drivers they will want more free things from the driver. Kamui must have been desperate to say least.

Also if he is so popular than why can’t he get any sponsors???

36. D Vega says:

Surely, someone is paying him, no?
    Anyway, I’m glad to see him back in the paddock, and I’m actually looking forward to his soon to be legendary duels with Marussia ace Jules Bianchi .

37. Shane says:

I can’t believe it! This is so awesome, 2014 may be a great year in F1 after all. New regulations could shake things up and there is a great, aggressive, chippy driver coming back into a team that could very well break into the midfield this year. Caterham seem to be a well positioned team to make a move up the F1 ladder.

I’ve always wondered why a team like Caterham don’t design a car that is a specialist, just focus development on Spa, Suzuka or Monza, or even Monaco. Obviously not for a win as that is a bar too high, but for maybe getting good points?

38. Tyler says:

Great news, hes fun to watch. In the words of my 70 year old mother who is a die hard F1 fan… “Kobayashi is a scrapper and has balls”.

Glad to see him back

39. Drax says:

I think Kamui the opportunist man, that grabing the chances in front of him.
    May his talent bringing Caterham to the midfield team and why not the team be there?

40. Delgado says:

This is fantastic news! Well done Caterham!!
    Kobayshi San, Banzai!!!!!

41. Cathy Oliveira says:

Kobayashi-san! Ganbare! I love you!

Cathy

1. Mike S. says:

ADW:

Bruno Senna is only a paydriver with a famous name.

1. ADW says:

Thanks Mike!
        You know I have never heard that before! :)
        Your well placed, well informed in depth analysis and opinion have changed my appreciation of the entire sport!
        THANK YOU!!!!! :)

2. N’gola says:

ADW,

I agree with Mike. Bruno Senna does not have enough talent to stay at Formula One.