Tous Avec Jules #17
Sochi 2014
Russian Grand Prix
Sebastian Vettel helmet breaks record at auction – £72,100!
Wings for Life
Posted By: James Allen  |  10 Dec 2013   |  10:50 am GMT  |  53 comments

A helmet used by Sebastian Vettel to win his home Grand Prix this year has broken the record for the largest sum paid for an F1 driver’s helmet, at £72,100.

The helmet went under the hammer at a Bonhams’ auction in aid of Wings for Life, the spinal injury charity which is linked to Red Bull.

Vettel has a new helmet design for more or less every race – so each one is unique – which is one of the aspects that adds value on the rare occasion one of them comes up for sale. Nevertheless, it is quite surprising that a Vettel helmet has sold for more than Senna.

“This is one of my favourite helmet designs from this season and it goes without saying that this was one of the most special races for me – my first ever home win,” said Vettel. “Just as the race meant a lot to me, Wings for Life does too and it’s my pleasure to donate this signed and worn helmet for auction.”

To find out more about the auction, which also featured two helmets from Mark Webber go to: Wings for Life

1. Joost says:

Sweet mother of god…

1. jono says:

Apparently Mr Vettel has been doing good work with both his helmets.

2. DB says:

Sebastian Vettel … Breaks Record.
    Isn’t that word combination getting a tad worn? ¦¬)

1. Siobhan says:

The guy is that good that even his helmet can break records!!

3. J.Danek says:

Holy Christ.

That is EPIC!!

As someone who perused the motoring catalog extensively before the auction, I knew what the expected sale price was, and this is ASTOUNDING!

Thanks for keeping us informed, James.

1. Miha Bevc says:

And what was the expected price? What is the average for a F1 helmet? And how much did Senna’s hlemt got?

2. stephen ho says:

what was the expected sale price? if you don’t mine i ask.

4. Re says:

Ha! And to think some people were sure his helmet wouldn’t have much value because he changes helmets. I agree with your reasoning why on the contrary the uniqueness may have raised its value. Either way, what matter is that it was for a good cause!

5. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

That’s excellent for Wings for Life. He should auction off a few more of the other designs. I bet the Singapore flashing LED stars helmet would make a lot for some other charity.

Wonder where it’s off to, some collector in Germany?, an oil moneyed bloke over in Abu Dhabi?

Gutted for Webbo not making more than Seb. ;)

Just ‘cos it sold for a thousand more than Sennas doesn’t mean he’s greater or anything, ok! ;)

6. Stuart Harrison says:

If he’d auctioned his final-race helmet, would it have made double that amount, I wonder? :)

7. KRB says:

“SOLD!!! To one Mr. Mark O’Helmut, in the shadows at the back of the room.”

8. Elie says:

That’s is one if the nicest designs on any F1 Helmut. It’s great the charity made so much out of it !

1. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

There’s an idea for a new 2014 design.

A full size wrap around photo of a smiling (if possible) Helmut Marko on his crash helmet.

Just so he can say he’s got a Helmut Helmet.
      (sorry)

9. Sebee says:

One day…one day….

Does anyone know what helmet size he wears?

I remember Schuberth did a QM1 moto helmet in Schumi colors so that mortals could buy it and actually use it. It is fantastic. Would be nice if Vettel’s helmet maker did likewise.

10. James says:

He and his fiancé have also announced they’re having a baby.

Great time all round for Mr Vettel.

1. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

A Sunday delivery would be nice for the future Mrs Vet, on a race weekend just before 1pm. He has to have his priorities straight and be at the birth of course ;)

11. Random 79 says:

Say what you like about Vettel and his helmets, but you can’t argue that this isn’t a good thing for the charity :)

12. Jota180 says:

I think the fact that it’s an auction for a charity changes the dynamic somewhat.
    I was recently at a charity auction where my boss bought a signed footballers shirt for a few thousand – way above what you could realistically get for it on the open market.
    He also gave it back to them to auction again.

13. JB says:

He breaks record everywhere huh?
    I just Googled Senna’s helmet and it was sold last year at 71,000 Euro.
    Its pretty close..

1. justafan says:

So this year Vettel conquered Senna’s title tally and helmet price record, next year he might conquer Senna’s wins tally, 2015 his podium numbers and 2016 Senna’s pole numbers.

1. Angelina says:

+1000

2. Angelina says:

Excellent post JB. Thanks for mentioning the figure.

14. NJB says:

Lots of people have more money than sense..

1. Rockie says:

Meaning you can’t afford it!

2. Sebee says:

How else can you get closer to the brain that delivered 4WDCs in a row?

1. justafan says:

Perhaps by buying his balaclava …

2. Sebee says:

Well called sir!

3. Ed says:

Move in with Adrian?

4. Sebee says:

I refuse to aknowledge these points that it’s all Adrian. Adrian is 1/2 of the hemisphere that delivered the WDCs.

5. KRB says:

Sit on the Red Bull pitwall, near to the bald dude?

What a softball that was Sebee!!!

6. Sebee says:

Sorry, balaclava wins!

7. KRB says:

Good idea, even closer!

8. Sebee says:

Wait a minute, is that a CGI render of what Vettel will look like in a helmet at 54?

I should tell you right now KRB, this is not a joke. One day if I see you I’ll show you my passport.

My first name is Sebastian.
        My middle name is Adrian.

Now tell me…what other team and driver can I possibly cheer for?

3. Bartholomew says:

So according to you, people shouldn’t spend money at a charity auction?

4. Random 79 says:

If someone asked me to spend 72k on a helmet, my answer would be no.

But if that same person asked me to spend 72k on a helmet that was going to a good charity and I had the cash handy, then my answer would be yes.

And the correct phrase is “more dollars than cents” ;)

5. JB says:

Sorry, but the money is donated for a good cause. I think that makes a lot of good sense.

15. I know says:

I just learned about the Wings For Life World Run. That just sounds amazing, and at just £40, it’s actually pretty good value for money, even without the charity element. I hope that I’ll be in good shape in May – running for 3+ hours before being passed by a Red Bull car, now how many current F1 drivers can say that?

16. Sebee says:

Vettel will be a Daddy!

Welcome to the club Seb! I say you do a many children as F1 championships. :-)

It is so awesome to see that he’s not going to wait till mid 30s. Go Seb!!!

1. Sebee says:

Random,

Maths with Sebee, episode 3.

Schumi is 44, we can all agree no one would be upset if he was on the grid this year or next for that matter when he would be 45.

Vettel will have a Jr. or Jr.-ette at 27.

45 – 27 = 18. (Random, my course introduction brochure says – show your work!)

Making a Vettel Father/Son or Father/Daughter F1 grid appearance a possibility.

Vettel Dominiation of F1 may never end thanks to Vettel ver 2.0, should “it” choose to take on the family business. I’m telling you guys, get on the Vettel band wagon.

1. Random 79 says:

I can’t fault your maths this time, and you have clearly proven that for the sake of future generations Vettel needs to be sterilised pronto :)

2. Random 79 says:

Nevermind, I just read James’ comment #4…as usual Vettel was too quick :(

3. Rockie says:

This is a possibility you know?

2. Robert N says:

Sebee,

who is holding the current record for youngest WDC as a father?

Surely something for Vettel to aim for?!

1. Sebee says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s him.

Note that his child is SUPER-FAST already. We just found out about it, and it will be here in about 1 month. Amazing!

17. I love F1 says:

No offense or discredit intended towards Vettel fans, but who on earth would pay more money for a one off Vettel helmet than probably the most iconic and sought after helmet in all of motor-sport history; a Senna helmet? Seems crazy to me :P

18. Seifenkistler says:

Best wishes to the young family

I wonder if the old saying that each child slows you for a half second each lap is still valid?

Because of the way safer cars I think not, perhaps even the opposite? Hamilton couldbe faster with a more calm family life i think.

And isn’t it already Vettel 2.4 who drives, given that his dad did hill climbing races? He sold his racing car to allow Seb starting his carreer.

1. AlexTrickle says:

Well Grosjean has had a remarkable turn around since becoming a dad! Not sure what Vettel can get better at, but if like Grosjean being a dad improves things then ominous times!

19. Goob says:

I wonder how much Newey’s underpants would fetch at auction?

1. Random 79 says:

Depends on how much you could fit into them.

20. Luke Clements says:

And in other news…”Mark Webber’s helmet was to be auctioned for well over £100000, but sadly on his way to the podium, Helmut Marko dropped the helmet, breaking it and forcing an early retirement before bidding began!” :)

21. BOX BOX BOX (David C) says:

Nice one Seb, good money raised for a good cause.

22. Micky D says:

Did Button ever auction his Japanese GP helmet, which he said he would in aid of the earthquake victims?
    I never heard any more about it.