F1 World Champion 2014
Lewis Hamilton
F1 world and fans await news on Schumacher’s condition after skiing accident
XPB.cc
Posted By: James Allen  |  29 Dec 2013   |  3:42 pm GMT  |  69 comments

[Updated] Michael Schumacher is in hospital in Grenoble undergoing tests this evening, following a skiing accident in Meribel this morning.

There have been conflicting reports of his condition, with initial reports that it was serious, then comments from the director of the resort and indications from Mercedes that it was not as serious as first reported by French media.

However, according to sources in Italy and France, close to this site, “the injury is serious, but not life threatening.”

He was skiing off piste with friends, when he crashed, hitting his head on a rock. He was wearing a helmet but suffered a head injury. He was treated at the scene, then taken to the local Moutiers hospital, from where he was then transferred to the larger Grenoble hospital by helicopter.

Schumacher will receive the attention of Professor Gerard Saillant, a close ally and friend of Schumacher and his former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt. Saillant is an expert in brain and spine injury. He oversaw Schumacher’s treatment following his broken leg at the 1999 British Grand Prix.

A statement from Schumacher’s right hand woman Sabine Kehm issued early this afternoon made no attempt to clarify his condition and simply said,

“Michael suffered a head injury in a private ski trip in the French Alps. He was taken to hospital and is receiving professional medical care. We ask for understanding that we can not give continuous information about his health. He was wearing a helmet and was not alone.

“NB – For his fall, no other person was involved.”

In February 2009 Schumacher suffered a head and neck injury when he crashed a racing motorcycle. He tried to fill in for Felipe Massa in the Ferrari in August that year but was unable to do so. At the time he said,

“The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe.

“That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet.”

1. Anil Parmar says:

I really hope he’s okay. I adored him when I was growing up and I’ve always supported him, even during the tough days like 2010.

Fingers crossed.

1. Di says:

We all loved him and still do.Michael will always be a legend of F1.Our thoughts are with him and his family,may God bless you all.

2. Sharon says:

My F1 hero, I hope he gets well very soon. Love and best wishes to you and your family.

3. Lohani says:

Get well soon, Michael. Fight it with all the might, prowess and dedication you’ve put in to revel at the pinnacle of F1 at razor’s edge all those years, inspiring many like myself. This could be the ultimate balancing act on edge that you’ve done, so get out of that coma and live to talk about it another day with your grandchildren.

My prayers are with you and your family.

2. Elie says:

Not exactly the best way to bring in the new year. Let’s hope it’s not too serious or has permanent effects. Get well Michael Schumacher.

3. Peter says:

Pray to god that he recovers. Massive part of my childhood.

1. Anil Parmar says:

Same…I think I’d be a different person now if I didn’t support him during those years! Huge inspiration.

4. Gavin T says:

Never been a fan of Schumacher, but I would never wish getting hurt on him.
    Hope he’s back on the slopes in no time.

5. Paul Mc says:

Totally shocked by the news i hope the injury is not serious and he’s going to be okay. Get well soon Schumi!

6. Jonny Speedriff says:

He may not have been my favourite driver over the years, but I do wish him a speedy recovery. Get well soon regenmeister.

7. Truth or Lies says:

Please God he’ll be ok.
    Prayers and thoughts with Michael, Corinna and their children at this very difficult time.

8. Basil says:

Get well soon, Michael, and Godspeed.

9. AuraF1 says:

I guess it goes to show just how safe motor racing has become that skiing is the truly dangerous occupation by comparison. It sounds as if Schumacher was on the toughest piste – i guess you can’t take the thrill seeker out of someone of his nature even in middle age. Very glad it’s not life threatening – even though there’s no such thing as a minor head injury. Speedy recovery.

10. Cedgy says:

Hospital of Moutiers? I was born there!

11. Sami says:

+1000
    Get well soon Champ!

12. zombies says:

An absolute legend ! Get well soon, Schumi ! Our thoughts and prayers are with you..

13. Goob says:

His era was awesome… drivers could push their cars to the limit… overtaking was real and breathtaking… driver skill could overcome slight flaws in a bad car… steering with throttle was amazing…

RIP (F1, not MS)

14. Sammy says:

Hope positive news will come quickly.
    Let’s all hope nothing too serious.

15. Anne says:

One of my all time favorite drivers.I hope it is not very serious.But I´m really worried. Get well soon Schummy.

16. Glennb says:

Get well soon Michael.

17. Chris says:

As is sometimes the case, life outside of F1 is more dangerous.

Get well soon Michael

18. Al says:

“He was wearing a helmet”

Just as well and a timely reminder for those stupid enough not to.

GWS MS.

19. Richard says:

Best wishes to Michael, we all wish him a speedy and full recovery.

20. goferet says:

For sure this is shocking news. Of all people didn’t expect Schumi to be in the news especially under these circumstances.

Unfortunately, this incident confirms that age really affects an athletes reflex abilities for not only did Schumi suffer neck injuries from his venture with motorbike racing but we also saw cases in F1 were he rammed into other cars like he had not seen them.

Anyway, wishing Schumi a quick and full recovery. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends.

1. Sebee says:

Easy on the retired Schumi! No one is invincible.

May I remind you about Nik Zoricic. A fit young pro, wearing helmet on “safe” course. As I said, no one is invincible.

21. Steph says:

James would appreciate if you can keep us updated on anything you hear. Lots of worried Schumi fans out here

22. Aleksandar says:

Time to stop the madness and look after the family.

He is lucky in all these years, even when he came back he almost got his head taken off in one race.

No excuses, I’m his biggest fan, but it’s time to hang up the macho type sports to prove you are still a man.

And horses aren’t the answer too!

Do fitness stay in shape Schumi, but please stop with this chasing teen spirit!

1. Stephen Taylor says:

You do know his son was on holiday with him. Maybe his son wanted to go skiing.

2. Sebee says:

Yes, he should sit and home and wait for death to arrive?

Come on! Let us stop the over reactions.

Schumi should do whatever Schumi wants to do. Just like you and I.

3. Mark V says:

You are obviously a non-skier who thinks it is a daredevil sport. It CAN be, but then again there are plenty of senior citizens who ski safely every day. Fact is, more people die of injuries to the head and other parts of the body slipping and falling on icy sidewalks than skiing.

23. Ahmed says:

Get well Michael…

24. Lee says:

I’ve done enough mountain biking over the years to know that head meeting rock, even one protected by a helmet is never a good thing. Get well soon.

25. Andy says:

Hopefully not a serious injury!

Get well soon and be home with your family!!!!

26. MrNed says:

I was in the grandstand at Stowe when Michael ploughed straight-on into the barrier in ’99 – not nice to witness but it was good to see the full recovery he made.

Here’s hoping for a similar full recovery.

27. Thread the Needle says:

Get well soon Schumi

28. Dmitry says:

Why is always like this – unexpected?

Hope Michael gets well soon!

1. Random 79 says:

In all seriousness, if it was expected it would have been avoided.

Get well soon Micheal – and don’t go racing wheelchairs in the hospital!

29. mgicn says:

Bad news from the local newspaper from Grenoble: his injuries are now considered as life-threatening. Let’s hope that he’s not the next all-time great who will die because of head injuries… The one back in ’94 has been already more than enough.

30. Rich B says:

get well soon schumi, I wasn’t a fan of yours but you made a huge impact on f1, all the best.

31. Box Box Box says:

Wishing a full and speedy recovery to the greatest f1 driver of all time.

32. Sandy O'Neill says:

Michael, you have always been my hero – Right the way through your career. I will be praying for your speedy recovery and for your family at this worrying time. Fingers crossed you will soon be on the mend.

33. Ravi says:

get well soon Michael Schumacher – prayers !

34. Lawrence says:

Anxious time for all – including his fans. Hope he is okay and he’s back to full fitness quickly. My biggest hero.

35. Racyboy says:

Woke up to this news in Australia. I went straight online and have read everything from not serious to life threatening.
    I hope he’s okay.

Good luck Michael.

36. Jaybrig says:

Get well soon champ.

37. Lindsay says:

This came through RSS as “The He was skiing off piste with friends…”

I like the idea that Schumi’s now as big as the god of Abraham.

38. FuelGreenr says:

Saw the news this morning and thought it sounded pretty minor. Just saw the news again this evening…by the time the newsreader had finished the sentence ‘…condition has deteriorated…’ I realised I had tears in my eyes. This cannot be…

39. Jamie norman says:

James, can you please update as often as news appears, you’re a trustworthy source and the last report was it’s not looking good, and it would be go to have a trustworthy source, thank you

40. zombie says:

CNN says he has brain hemorrhage, and his condition worsened into the night. He is now said to be in critical condition. Prayers and hopes that his relentless “never give up” spirit will pull him through…

41. Blaize says:

I just keep telling myself that Massa went into a coma too and he came out fine.

But I’ve been extremely dissapointed in how the news of all this has been handled. So many differing statements.

I hope this ends well, he is a legend of the sport and I hope to see him around it for many years to come

42. Omniprescient says:

May the Force be with MSC now, and then ever. Strange, just watched 1991 F1 season review on the Swedish Viasat Motorsport, and then read the news, and sometime before that heard JA on BBC World Sport ed. Caught by surprise. Get well soon, you Regenmeister. NB Better try disarmed fighter jets, they are fundamentally safer up there… And more fun. Fingers crossed.

43. Carl says:

Trouble is that all these guys are still adrenaline junkies after they retire.

I was never a fan, but I hope he pulls through OK. I loved him defending against Hamilton at Monza last year (or was it the year before?).

44. Spoo says:

There is an dire irony to the whole thing and just hope he will be able to laugh at it in a short time.

If it were upto me he would be placed in a bullet proof case and kept safe as long as possible but that just wouldn’t be the Living on the edge,daring and thrill seeking racer that I love so much.

Gute besserung Schumi.

45. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

Always has more admiration of his driving than adulation of a fan but wish him the very best and hope he recovers from a serious sounding ski accident in the beautiful off piste areas of the Three Valleys. The very best will be looking after him and thoughts are with him and his family.

46. SpaceJunk says:

Reputable a Australian media is quoting French outlets that his initial condition wasn’t life-threatening, but has since deteriorated. ????????

47. Kbdavies says:

This really highlights the dangers of skiing. No matter how experienced you are, an unfortunate incident is only literally around the corner. The snow hides rocks, boulders and ice very well.
    Just returned from a skiing trip in St Moritz, and a friend (experienced skier)fell on what seemed like powder snow and shattered his shoulder. He had to be airlifted of the mountain. In fog and zero visibility, i got lost trying to get back to the ski lift to take me down the mountain. I eventually ended up walking all the way down. Took 2hrs in darkness and fog so bad i couldn’t see more than a a few feet in front of me with sheer drops on either side. I was very lucky to find my way down – And we are not yet on the subject of hitting trees or other skiers – most dangerous of incidents, and often with disastrous consequences.
    Skiing is unbelievably dangerous, and wearing a helmet on the slopes should be compulsory. I wore one (as i was a learner), but didn’t see any experienced skiers wear them.

48. Sufyaan Patel says:

Hoping he gets well soon and the injury doesnt affect his life/health.

He is like a hero to me…… and thats coming from a Hakkinen/Raikkonen fan!

Still hope I get a chance to meet him someday. An inspiring individual!

49. David Hamilton says:

Get well soon michael. Our thoughts are with you.

50. Jem says:

I was never a fan in his heyday, but grew to like him enormously during his comeback. Sincerest best wishes MS, keep fighting, you are a legend.

51. Tomas says:

Get well soon. Your the legend that made F1 special. Your work isn’t done yet.

52. JB says:

I was shocked when I heard the news on his FB page. I hope he will be OK.

He is my childhood hero and he is still my hero today. My prayers goes to him to get well soon.

53. Prashant says:

Get well soon Schumi!!!…our prayers are with u…

54. AlexD says:

I with Michael well and I was shocked by the news. I had a very bad ski accident myself. I really hope that he will still live and be back to nirmal health….

What surprises me is to read many comments with folks now asking God and praying God. In all other cases mentioning God is now offensive. People only remember God when they have problems…..sad….

55. Tyemz says:

Wishing him a super-quick recovery. He ‘ll always be a hero and a champion.

56. Zhenya says:

Get well as soon as possible!

57. Amir says:

I’m not one to comment often on this blog, although I do enjoy the unparalleled information and fan input it provides and the open arena for discussion on all things F1, and I guess my silence is broken – purely to put across that I, as perhaps many others have noted, MSC is a true legend of the sport.

No matter how much many people (in my opinion) wrongly hated him, I’ve always admired his resilience,determination, and unrelenting desire to be the absolute best at what he does. some would call it bare faced arrogance ( in his first f1 career stint) but lets face it, to be at the top of your game in any profession a degree of arrogance and blind self belief is required. This ruthlessness was even evident in the great Senna during his battles with Prost.

Michael was the reason I got into F1 in the mid 90′s as a young 12 year old, and though his incredible win streak in the early noughies did tire me, Ive always admired and respected him, and warmed even more during his return to F1 – then emerged a more human, less robotic MSC, humble in defeat and growing ever popular.

He is a hero to a generation of motorsport fans such as me, and though Senna will be regarded my many as the epitome of what a racing driver is and was, for me MSC is my childhood hero and from my time. I sincerely hope he pulls through and gets over this event, and decides to go thrill seeking no more. I’m deeply saddened as it is and feel for his family.

58. Rob Jones says:

Come on Michael. We’re all praying for you and your family. A true racer, and a true gent off track. I did something very similar whilst ski-ing in 2003, and damaged several vertebrae right at the top of my neck. I still get quite a lot of pain in my neck and head on a daily basis from it, but so long as I have breath in my body, I’ll be ripping down the mountains whenever I can, until I’m physically unable to. Michael, my wish for you is that you’ll be able to do the same (hopefully without the pain). Our hearts are with you.

59. Rob Jones says:

Would just like to add to my post that I wasn’t wearing a helmet when I had my accident, as at the time it seemed only the racers were using them. I do now. I hope the fact that Michael was wearing one will allow him to regain full health and enjoyment of life very quickly. They MUST be made compulsory on the slopes, as they DO save lives. COOL SKIERS WEAR HELMETS.

60. Ruthy says:

I never liked Michael when he was racing – I thought him arrogant and unsporting but I never would wish anything like this on him.
    Get well soon Michael.