How the West was F1
Austin 2014
US Grand Prix
Video: Does the Perfect lap exist? The engineers’ take
McLaren Mercedes
XPB.cc
Posted By: James Allen  |  06 Nov 2013   |  11:09 am GMT  |  114 comments

F1 is all about the interaction of man and machine in search of the maximum performance.

We have been running a discussion on the concept of the Perfect Lap recently, which was inspired by a video shoot I took part in recently with some of the McLaren people. They are exploring the notion, with the help of one of their partners SAP, of how man and machine combine and it’s a fascinating subject in light of the example we have this year in F1 and what lies ahead next year, as the recebt post on Alain Prost underlined.

Take a look:

McLaren also ran a blog post by my old colleague Alan Henry, who recalled the ultimate perfect lap by Ayrton Senna at Monaco in 1988. This was a lap that was mentioned by a number of readers in our recent poll on JA on F1.

To quote a section from it: ‘Senna’s pole lap was a staggering 1.5 seconds quicker than Alain, a double world champion already, could manage.

“And, remember, we were using race tyres for much of qualifying, which meant we could manage more than a single-lap run,” Ayrton told my dear old friend, the late Denis Jenkinson of Motorsport magazine. “I got to the stage when at one point I was actually more than two seconds a lap faster than anybody else, including my team-mate, who was using the same car, the same tyres, the same everything.

“It wasn’t because he [Alain] was going too slow,” Ayrton explained, “but because I was going too fast. I felt at one stage that the circuit was not a circuit any longer, just a tunnel of Armco barrier. But [events were unfolding] in such a way that I was over the level I considered reasonable. There was no margin, whatsoever, to anything.

“When I had that feeling,” Ayrton went on, “I lifted immediately [from the throttle pedal]. Then I felt I was operating on a different level, which I didn’t quite understand. So I backed off and came into the pits. I said to myself, ‘Today, that was special. Don’t go out any more. You’re vulnerable.’”

Fabulous stuff!

You can read the whole post HERE

Featured Video
JensonTrialthlon
Sign up for Jenson’s Triathlon today!
Featured News in mclaren
MORE FROM McLaren
LATEST FROM THE MCLAREN MERCEDES COMMUNITY
  1. Grant H says:

Interesting stuff, ive always wondered if the f1 teams implement “design of experiments / 6 sigma” metholgogys in the pursuit of the perfect race set up. If you gather enough data it is possible to build a mathematical midel which allows you to control your inputs to achieve the statistically perfect lap

1. Grant H says:

Sorry spelling *methodologies & model

2. Jeff says:

I believe that basically is what he was referring to when he was talking about the 6.5 million simulations… 6.5 million laps..? 6.5 million stints..? I’m assuming this is a Monte Carlo analysis using a very complex model. That would provide a statistical min-max, average, mean, mode, rms, etc… 1000 inputs, each with their own ranges and probabilities, ran 6.5 million times and you have you theoretical lap.

1. Craig D says:

Yes, I’m sure it is Monte Carlo analyses the teams perform. I read an interesting article recently from a British Ferrari strategist who developed a lot of the strategy software from the 1990s, which started with work he did for his MSc Maths thesis. I think it’s Neil Martin actually?

In the past they’d have simple models of lap time based on fuel weight and tyre grip and wear, and say “stopping this lap gives this much quicker race time than stopping on this lap”, etc. Then they included MC analysis, where you introduce randomness and risk into your model, and run many, many simulations.

Then you get answers out in terms of probabilities: so like “If we do strategy A, then including chance of a safety, expected traffic, rain, etc, we’ll have a 40% chance of gaining 2 positions and getting 3rd but it also comes with risk that we could lose a position. But we do the more cautious strategy B (say mirroring someone), we’ll have a 90%% chance of keeping 5th.” And such results will be based on thousands of race simulations each with slightly different variations in them due to chance (e.g. 1 in 9 races included a dodgy pitstop). So it’s a complex affair!

I imagine initially management wouldn’t have liked this statistical approach. They’d have wanted absolutes: “What do you mean this strategy will give x% chance of us finishing here and this strategy y% chance of finishing there?! Is this strategy quicker or not?!”

2. Gavin says:

Only Senna could describe F1 in such magical terms, and in a foreign language – brilliant!

1. Sebee says:

He sure could put those words together just right. And his delivery sold it.

After seeing Senna, I wondered what he would have been doing after F1. With such ability to inspiren and huge likability, surely he would have put it to use in an examplary way.

1. Tim says:

I saw an interview with Frank Williams recently. He was extremely complimentary about Senna’s intelligence and thought, had he lived, he would have been president of Brazil one day.

2. Sebee says:

100%

Who would stand a chance against him?

So basically Brazil would be a better place?

3. Marc Saunders says:

Unfortunately, the most inteligent persons never become President.

4. Jeff says:

superstitious if nothing else.

it does make me wonder, considering that synapses are controlled by neurotransmitters, there must be some segment of the population with “superhuman” amounts of neurotransmitters that allow their brains to process information much faster than the average bear. if it were Senna’s case, maybe this is what he was feeling, the out of body experience, completely giving yourself over to muscle memory… zen.

Achieving that state, in a race car non the less, and then realizing it… I could see the potential for disaster there.

5. Jeff says:

I believe it is myelin which covers the nerve fibers of the brain and controls speed… just an FYI

6. ron says:

I don’t think it’s superstition.
        I had a similar feeling while riding my motorbike once. The road felt like a tunnel, and everything else was blurred. The bike felt better than ever and I was moving my body, braking, gearshifts all unconsciously. I also quickly realized I was riding at different level at a dangerous pace and fortunately backed off. My mates behind said they have never seen anyone go that fast.

7. Jake says:

@ron, I have had the exact same experience on a motorbike, and only once. It was the first thing I thought of when reading Senna’s description above. Glad you posted that.

Fascinating stuff, especially if they could find a way to tap into it.

8. Jeff says:

any neurologist around? seems like an interesting study.

9. German Samurai says:

Senna was an intriguing, very charismatic man, but I’m not sure about raw intelligence. Prost had him beat in that department. Compared to Prost he had poor race craft, throwing away wins through needless errors, being far too aggressive when it wasn’t required, not managing his equipment over the course of a race.

In a way he’s a bit like Hamilton. Both possessing a great deal of raw talent but lacking the ability/intelligence to multi-task for lack of a better word — like Prost, Schumacher and now Vettel can. Senna almost had tunnel vision in comparison

Senna is without a doubt a top 5 driver of all time, but he’s not in my top 3 let alone number 1 like many lists place him.

10. James Macdonald says:

I’ve finally found somebody else who doesn’t have him in their personal top 3! It’s a very lonely club.

Have to say I agree with all of the above. :)

11. Timothy says:

Having seen numerous interviews that Ayrton Senna gave I have to concur that he was a man of considerably higher than average intellect, considerably. Going by my own knowledge of neuropsychology I would rate his IQ above 150. So I concur with Frank Williams on his statement.

The only explanation I have for occasional race strategies going wrong for Senna could be related to his emotional nature or car failures kept quiet. He was a very quiet and loyal driver, for example not announcing that the fly by wire throttle on his car was acting up in Brazil 1992, causing Schumacher to accuse him of driving in an unsportsmanlike manner going on and off the throttle.

Comparing Senna to Hamilton for me is like night and day. As much as I respect raw speed above anything else, when I hear Hamilton speak and going by his age (compared to say Vettel) I notice none of the mental reserves that are so evident with Senna.

12. Monktonnik says:

I have always intrigued by this notion of “greatness” and how it relates to people’s perception of acing drivers. I think that the cult of personality is prevalent with racing fans

I really enjoyed the Senna movie, but it didn’t make me believe that Senna was better than I had previously thought. In fact it made me think that his emotions and passionate nature were actually a weakness that made him ruthless and dangerous.

He probably did drive the perfect lap though.

3. tank says:

*F1 Nerdgasm*

1. F1S says:

Get back to work Kevin.

4. Mocho_Pikuain says:

Theorically, in certain conditions, in a certain track with a certain car there is a top time you cant improve without breaking physics limits. The problem is that even with the current technology, calculating this time is as impossible as matching it.
    Since telemetry started and computers began to be a key part in developing a car, F1 teams have tried (without success) to find that time. Senna was known to break those lap times 25 years ago, but one could think computers were not very powerful those years. Well, even in the current times, when cars run hundreds of sensors and every little variance in the perfomance is measured, some drivers have been able to beat those lap times that were suposed to be “perfect”.

In the end, the only perfect lap you need is the one that gives you pole, and the way to improve that is to find and burst your own limits, as physics ones will never be matched!

1. Me says:

Time has nothing to do with a perfect lap, as a perfect lap can be driven in any car ever made.

1. TRS says:

Oh, how I agree. I can’t remember which race it was but I do recall Lewis qualifying third and saying that there was nothing left in the car. The trouble was that hardly anyone noticed.

2. Trent says:

Not to dampen things, but of course there would be something left in the car. A real ‘perfect lap’ is, of course, impossible for a human being because no ones judgement is perfect.

I think ‘perfect lap’ is feeling that you couldn’t do any better in a thousand more tries, and in that sense I suspect Lewis really means there’s nothing left in himself.

But the point about nearing that limit in any car is fair enough.

2. Marc Saunders says:

What you state is highly improbable, perfect is always beyond human reach. If someone goes beyond what is considered perfect, then that perfection was wrongly defined.

5. Richard says:

The mind is a wonderful thing, and Arton Senna was a tremoudous gifted driver. I suppose a human being can reach a level consciousness that might be considered dangerous because one can become detached in a way rather like transcendental meditation in a dream like state, and that may enable someone to do a very good lap, it is probably highly dangerous as fear has left the equation. I love the way Senna drove, and they were so much more exciting times, although obviously more dangerous, than today. One thing is for sure senna would not have approved of high deg. tyres as it goes against every feeling he had. Of course the other approach is scientific in understanding how the car is designed to be driven which I think is what Vettel is doing, he is following the design intent of the originator.

1. Tickety-boo says:

100% agree, and it goes with the remarks made by Prost recently. Sebastian has taken a smart approach to it; Webber is no slouch which has resulted in a plethora of conspiracy theories on forums such as this one, but reality indicates that Seb V is mastering his craft at a level where drivers that just drive the life out of the car can’t compete on the same level (Hamilton), and that is what made Ayerton simply great. As webber stated after Dubai, Sebastian was on another level – who is there to take him on and make weekends more interesting?

1. Richard says:

Well as I’ve said many times before it is about 80% car 20% driver so given that a driver would first need the car, and then learn how to drive it. There’s no doubt with a good car and durable tyres Lewis Hamilton was very much in the Senna vein in that he could make a car dance around a track to get the lap. Sebastion Vettel is more controlled more measured in the way he uses the cars rather different strengths. Remember How Hamilton beat Vettel around the Austin Texas track when he had a good car under him with reasonbly durable tyres. Vettel at the moment is riding the crest of a wave like all winning drivers, but it will come to an end when things change significantly enough.

2. Thompson says:

This makes no sense and just blurs actual events
        In history if it is to be followed.
        Senna was a great driver but reality is in his era Prost one
        More championships – although not as exciting a personality the argument is there for best driver.

Last season Hamilton was denied a shot at the WDC due to unreliability. in the right car he is more than capable of matching and beating Vettel as is Kimi whilst beating their team mates in EQUAL machinery

Vettel is a class act but has not had to contend on equal terms with his teammate. Maybe in a few years when Mark writes his book we will read all about it. But the stats alone show the two red bulls are not equal with regards reliability. Especially over the past two seasons.

Sports fans have a strange habit of creating legends.

3. BenM says:

I think it’s a long bow to draw to say that Prost was the better driver because he won one extra championship whilst driving a dominant active suspension Williams which he’d blocked Senna from driving in, whilst Senna was stuck driving a troublesome McLaren with a customer Ford engine.

6. George says:

It is this quote, and what it sums up and represents of Ayrton that sets him apart from any other. You can write a list of fast drivers, or of great sportsman, but this speaks of a level beyond that touches on spirituality, a place beyond that few will touch in their lifetime.

7. Richard says:

The other thing is despite the image McLaren put out, the reality is somewhat different as they drop all sorts of clangers despite a highly scientific approach. The feeling is that they have become too corporate, indeed too removed from reality, but I wish them well and hope they can improve in the coming years. I do wonder how much of a distraction road car production was for them.

8. medor says:

The perfect lap cannot exist, any more than the perfect storm, the perfect wave, or the perfect woman…

With thousands of parameters concerning the tires, the car varioun suspension and geometry setup, the engine parameters, the ambiant weather and whatnot, it’s just impossible to say that a certain lap cannot be improved upon…

All one can say is “I don’t see where we could have done any better”, which is not quite the same thing.

9. Joe says:

Awesome video! It’s hard to get video like this one that shows us the inside of formula one and I appricate when they are released or posted.

10. RogerD says:

We’re getting a bit carried away here :)

Senna evidently entered into a meditative state whilst driving at Monaco that day. Transcendence / epiphany / flow consciousness are other names for it. Such mind states are mostly talked about in philosophical & religious circles. It’s a real thing.

In Senna’s own mind I’m sure the whole world felt perfect (and the lap time suggested as much) but that feeling was just a function of the state of mind he was in at the time, not an objective reality.

The kicker is of course that our subjective perception of the objective world can be much improved when we enter a state of flow consciousness – and so Senna’s lap time was measurably improved. To say the lap was perfect is turning the hyperbole up to eleven though.

As I said the other day, perfection is a mind thing, beyond articulation. It’s not something physical.

11. Elie says:

James Ive watched Sennas 1988 lap many times and I do think its one of the greatest laps. Senna will always be the fastest driver because he could re- define boundaries and operate on them more often than others..But.. I have to say this:- as brilliant as it was and I appreciate it was 1.5 a faster than Prost who I consider as the next best racer, I still have to say Kimi Raikkonens 2005 Monaco quali was better..let me tell you why ..midway through the lap Senna flicked the tail out and snapped it back in the one motion–whilst I’m sure he did not loose time he was less than perfect at that section..he was beyond the limits of the car and therefore control. I dont think any lap is perfect and ai will say this again with the utmost of respect to all drivers- the ones that say it was perfect are the ones least perfect.

When you watch Kimi Raikkonens lap it was on the limits of adhesion almost everywhere even the straights but the car was pointed perfectly every single corner even the chicane after the tunnel the car slithered in and over the Kerbs in a perfect motion. I could see nowhere where he did not have the car in complete control and completely on the edge – and you could hear the car just breaking traction at every exit without sliding. It’s true that is very difficult to judge eras in sport and this is certainly no exception.. But the new millennium bought cars much closer through the regulations so large variances were less likely, further turbo performances varied relatively more car to car and from lap to lap than the cars today.

For me perfection is about being on the absolute limits whilst maintaining control and precision- these are how F1 cars are designed to operate. The thing I also like about drivers like Kimi is that they do often operate at very high levels but never ever over state abilities -which is why they are so terribly under rated amongst their most outspoken peers.

1. Fake Moseley says:

He had traction control then, Kubicas 2010 Monaco was probably better.

1. Corona says:

Kimi had TC! No wonder he never broke traction. It was a stunning lap either way though.

2. Rockie says:

Car parameters do not define the perfect lap.
        A perfect lap is a perfect lap, as it can be achieved in a Marussia or Caterham a perfect lap does not have to be the fastest.
        Another lap to look at is Nico Rosberg China 12

2. T says:

PS: The onboard lap floating around the ‘net that claims to be 1988 is actually from 1990. In 1988 the McLaren had no onboard camera.

3. Rockie says:

Totally agree that lap was mind blowing!

12. Kenneth M'Boy says:

Fabulous Senna quotes. I love it how his quotes can send shivers down your spine just by reading them. You feel you are onboard with him, entering another realm of consciousness, imagining the sheer ferocity and speed at which he is travelling. Only Senna and only Monaco. The two go hand in hand, forever.

1. Lewis says:

+1 Senna & Monaco are the ultimate driver-track pairing.

2. hero_was_senna says:

“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, ‘Okay, this is the limit’. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.”
      Senna

13. Jock Ulah says:

Video’s cogent definition of an Engineer –

I don’t know how to do that . . .
    But I’ll find out . . .
    And have it done by next week.

Kindly forward this information to McLaren and Ferrari.

14. Dmitry says:

Thank you, James, for this article! Read with pleasure.

Missing Ayrton very much: what he did, how he spoke and how fast he was in the car – all these make him the greatest of all time.

15. jmv says:

yes yes yes! leave me alone I know what I am doing!

16. Phil Waddell says:

You don’t hear today’s crop of driver talking like that, do you? It’s like poetry.

1. me says:

I’d call it fantasy.

1. T says:

Fantastic poetry. Who was it that said when Senna spoke you could hear a pin drop.

17. jmv says:

Senna.. amazing… he, in a state of meditation, discovered the inner boundary of himself. He knew. He was touched by something eternal, beyond the physical. And he decided to respect it. Because he knew.

I am sure other drivers feel the same, but they do not take time to stop time, and bit by bit analyse what just happened (including in a spiritual way).

Senna had transcending abilities – which he discovered as he sought them through racing. Through deep concentration, and combining physical motion with mind control, at mind blowing speeds.

He was so special.

Maybe a guy who comes close to him is Vettel, in terms of aiming for the deepest concentration.

Hakkinen also had similar “interests” in how mind control, concentration etc works.

Michael Schumacher on the other hand would step out of the car and say: “it was a good lap”.

1. Ronnie says:

In earlier interviews, I always heard Vettel indicating Schumi as his hero. But, if I remember correctly, about 1-2 years ago, Schumi was specified as his childhood hero, and mentioned Senna as the hero. VET’s been constantly improving every year. This year, he’s near technical perfection as far as driving the particular car design on recent tracks. Also, his maturity and control reached a new level. I was wondering where he could go from here, or just become stagnant. I hope he’s aspiring now to enter Senna’s whelm.

1. Rockie says:

He keeps improving every year its scary what he would be like in another 5 seasons!

18. Paul D says:

Nice piece.

Why do they photoshop the Marlboro livery out of photos? Tobacco advertising is an important part of the Sports history.

Fine it’s not part of F1 today, but to photoshop old images and change livery’s is wrong in my opinion.

1. Lee says:

Because tobacco advertising is illegal.

1. Paul D says:

Obviously. But it’s not an advert is it? It’s a historical image of the car from 1988.

They weren’t taken out of the Senna Movie were they? Or the film posters? Or the Rush movie? Or a book I recently bought about Ayrton. It’s about historical accuracy.

They also forgot to photoshop out the ‘M’ of the Malboro logo underneath the chevron at the front! So whoever photoshopped it didn’t do the best job! :-)

2. timothy clarke says:

i agree whole heartedly Paul. revisionism is running rampant in our society. in my opinion it’s a freakin’ crime!

3. Lee says:

A promotional video released by McLaren and SAP to highlight the work of both companies and placed on the largest video sharing site in the world is not an advert? You think McLaren and SAP paid god knows what to produce this film out of the goodness of their hearts with no promotional objective.

I think you need to wake up to advertising in the 21st century. It’s no longer an industry confinded to TV, magazines and bus shelters.

Of course it’s an advert and as such comes squarely under the legislation banning tobacco advertising.

Films are not advertising under the definition in the legislation they are defined as art.

4. Marko says:

It’s a promotional film. Of course it’s an advert. Do you think McLaren we’re sat around with nothing to do one day and thought I know let’s spend thousands on a film for no reason.

It’s produced in conjunction with their sponsor SAP who are a big data analytics company. It’s all over the @SAPSports twitter feed. It’s an advert and as Lee says it’s illegal to promote tobacco products in such films.

5. Paul D says:

It’s an interesting debate.

Guess I’m just a little uncomfortable with the ability of legislation to be applied retrospectively to historical items (in any medium).

It upset me last time I went round the Donington Museum and saw all the Mclaren’s stripped of their authentic livery.

19. MVega_cl says:

In my opinion, there’s no such thing as the perfect lap. You can try different methods, combine them as you want and measure almost every variable in the car and track conditions that will take you near the perfect lap. But in the end there will always be some kind of unpredicted changes in the car, tyres, track conditions, etc. so called unmeasurable disturbances that makes you lose some time.

It’s just like quantum mechanics. The perfect lap is around some point, but you will never find out exactly where it is really and if you did it or not.

Please read the full Alan Henry’s Blog on McLaren website. It really takes you to the magic and pure talent of those days:

1. Curro says:

When Alan Henry says, about the race: “…Ayrton was pulverising the rest of the drivers, half a minute ahead of Alain, who was lapping superbly himself yet was nonetheless being utterly annihilated by the flying Brazilian.”, that’s a bit of an inaccuracy.

Prost got stuck behind Berger’s Ferrari at the start and couldn’t pass for over half the race. Once he did so, he duly set the fastest lap of the race. Seeing that, Senna increased his pace and that’s when the mistake came.

I mean, the stuff about Senna is fantastic and his qualifying performance was from outer space, but it’s very easy after all these years to get carried away and tell an over-romantic version of the actual facts.

1. me says:

Good comment. It does get tiresome.

2. hero_was_senna says:

It would serve you to either read a biography of Senna’s which would have details of the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix in it, or even easier look it up on Wikipedia.

Prost got past Berger on Lap 54 and immediately started setting fastest times. Senna, who had been cruising for some laps speeded up once more and they traded fastest laps with Senna finally claiming it with a 1m 26.321 lap.
        Prost backed off and had settled for second, some 50 seconds behind his team-mate and it was now that Ron Dennis radioed to Senna to slow down.
        On Lap 65, he lost concentration and collided with the barrier at Portier.

Senna didn’t crash because of going too quickly but because he had slowed down.

20. Fareed says:

James – do the new teams have the resources to have a similar “mission control” team back at their HQ to analyze the race in real-time? Or do they only have people on-site for the race.

Most teams have it now

21. Delgado says:

Became extremely nostalgic after watching that ice cool video (its production quality is undeniably epic)…then read the rest of the article and remembered why I come to this site so often.

Thanks. Spread the word!

22. matthew cheshire says:

Interesting that MacLaren are so obsessed with data. Faulty data was Ferrari’s downfall over the last two seasons and MacLaren has lost its edge too.

Its easy to persuade yourself that a mountain of data must be a complete picture – especially if there is an overwhelming amount of it. Worse again if you hide behind it.

Because design is an art not a science.

Does Newey base all his decisions upon measureable factors?

I’d love to know what Lewis thinks of MacLaren’s direction. He obviously lost faith and jumped to a team that seems more focussed on people and experience. Didn’t he describe the Merc garage as a throwback to formula 3?

I think MacLaren would be in a better place if they got some dirt under their fingernails and threw the IT guys out of the boardroom.

1. JB says:

First of all, All teams big or small uses data galore. I guess you’re not in this realm so have no idea how much computing technologies an engineer uses. In fact, all forms of mechanical/aerospace engineering uses tons of computing.

Secondly, Design is innovation that fits in the boundary of physics. Unless of course, you’re designing a computer game where there are no boundaries; then you can call it art. In the real world, You must respect physics. Newey always says, you might have a bright idea, but if it does not work. You simply have to be ready to drop it.

Finally, I don’t think the downfall of Mclaren in 2013 has to do with IT. I remember clearly that the team screw up Hamilton’s race time after time in 2012. Then they told Hamilton to reduce his paycheck. So he left (OBVIOUSLY). Then Whitmarsh and Button decided to preach Hamilton that he is making A BIG MISTAKE. Pfft! how lame can they get? Those events showed that the company is in a mess, it is no wonder they are terrible this year.

2. Craig D says:

“Because design is an art not a science.”

That’s not true, not in the sense we’re talking of here. This isn’t designing the next fashionable dress or an IKEA chest of drawers.

What makes a car fast is simply determined by the laws of physics and therefore directly related to how accurate your mathematical models and scientific experiments and measurements. And all that is data related. But what’s most important is having good understanding and intuition and to interpret all that data correctly and make good decisions.

The genius of Newey obviously doesn’t rely on him looking at results from an experiment or computer model and blindly following what the data suggests. But the good “design” as you might put it comes from the intelligence, experience and understanding to know what works, because no model can 100% represent reality.

I guess what I’m saying is that used correctly it definitely aids having all this data (and nearly everything in the world is data driven these days, we’re now moving into “Big Data”), but it’s important that you are the master and not a servant of the data. So you’re correct in the sense of it being important for all these boffins to be able to still work in ‘reality’ and not got lost in computer world!

Perhaps McLaren are suspect of this at times based on this year’s design decisions: “Yeah we’ve got a great 2012 car but this model suggests this type of aero is quicker! We don’t fully know how that aero package will interact with the car as a whole, but the numbers are pretty so let’s do it!”

1. Matthew Cheshire says:

I agree. I mean “art” as the intangible skill to produce more than the sum of the parts. MacLaren sounds like it expects to collect an overwhelming stream of data and then connect the dots.

How much data were they missing last year?

MacLaren have strong funding, unrivalled facilities and a world champion. Lotus have none of those once Kimi has gone. Yet there feels like a strong chance Grosgean will be the one on Vettel’s heels next year. Better Data??

23. to says:

Well, perfect as in at the physical limits I don’t think its possible (but maybe it gets very close).

However I have e little story shared by former Jo Ramirez from McLaren, 1988 season, French GP.

Prost went out, did his qualy lap, got back to the garage, got out of overalls and put on jeans and a sports shirt.
    Jo tells him: “What are you doing like that? You still have 3 sets of tires, and there’s lots of time on the clock!!!”
    Prost’s answer: “My lap was perfect; if he can beat my time, he deserves pole”.

Now, go check the results of quali France 88.
    It really was a wonderful year. Prost was also more low key I guess :).

If you can catch the interview with Jo Ramires at SkySports, I highly recommend it.

1. Curro says:

And he did it again in Estoril that same year. Senna was not amused.

1. Toni says:

Yes, but I have no idea if at Estoril he put jeans and t-shirt.

I think it says mighty something of the confidence in what you just achieved to do what he did…
        when in the exact same car there was also Ayrton, which is mightily good, esp qualy, at a time when there was no shortage of engines, tires, cars, whatever… no need to cut back, save, etc… it really was all out.

I wonder if we will ever see another 1988… Doubtful… already because it will be difficult that someone has such an advantage as McLaren had in that year + 2 best drivers by far!

2. Curro says:

Mind you, as a young Ferrari fan it was a very boring season! LOL

Actually I think I’ve got a picture of Prost dressed in “civilian” clothes during quali at Estoril 1988, in one of my old magazines, somewhere…

3. Toni says:

I understand what you are saying.

I was coming more from the point of view of watching it for the sport as a whole and in historical terms.

Mind you, although I was a Prost and Schu fan for sometime (mostly because I liked their methodical approaches to the car setup/engineering side of it), I tend to watch and follow F1 for the fights and the racing. I like to do it as often as I can (obviously with much more limited means), but can really appreaciate the driving and fighting at the very top, as much as the work that brings it up :).

So, even years like 92 where Mansell trounced everybody, I really enjoy following it and watching the races, the driving, the engineering development race :).

24. Jari says:

I have to say this all hype about data and computer models sounds great and logical for engineer minded person… and I regard myself partly that kind of soul.

But the fact is McLaren has produced a car worth pile of[mod] Ok it might be just coincidence but I vaguely remember the car being said to be fast already before a single real life lap in the winter tests. This video was kind of freaking and opened my eyes.

Maybe McLaren have made the wrong call in a big picture. What if in some level focus on the team is too much in computers and data instead of best people and their intuition and human knowledge. Are they trying to be too far ahead of their time?

What about if the best strategy still is, sad but true for all you nerds, to put the guy in a real car on a real track and listen what he says about the car. And though you won’t get that many laps done, those laps are more worth than these Whitmarsh’s millions of simulation ones. Of course assuming you have a consistent skillful driver who has a good gut feeling and can do it day after day when needed in limited track time.

So not to make any critical decision without careful analysis of real human feedback never relying too much on computers. And face this same question everytime when either developing the car or making pitstop call during the race. It’s quite easy to make decisions and afterwards have a get-out-of-jail-free card in your hand saying, well that was what the computer said also. This is team level culture choice and consequently invidual level attitude choice.

Too much information may make you lost your focus. Human mind is easily lured to simple logic when the real world around might be more complex. When machined with the right brains human intuition can be more powerful than any computer model.

Would be intresting to know if top teams has in any level different strategies on this trust data or your guts approach?

25. rags says:

Everything about McLaren seems so perfect! I just fail to understand how they yet keep messing up!!!

1. JB says:

That’s called very good marketing. LOL

26. tim says:

Really fascinating stuff! Almost transcendental. I would argue that Senna wasn’t describing a perfect lap but a beautiful one where he poured all that skill and love and anger into one circuit and it gelled for an instant and then was gone.

27. MattH says:

The closest thing to a perfect lap ( in quali for example ) is one where you go purple in all 3 sectors and all of those are faster than your team mates

Thats the only measure, the rest is theory

You beat yourself and your team mate. That HAS to be the definition of maxing your performance out.

1. Elie says:

Monaco 2005 Kimi was purple every sector even over works Renault- he pretty much destroyed MS. FA and Montoya.

28. Rach says:

The irony of mclaren producing this after the guy who got closest to the “perfect lap” left a year ago!

Was still great to read and watch.

29. Valentino from montreal says:

Hungary 1998 – not only 1 fast lap but about 20 qualifying laps in a row …

1. Elie says:

If you can do 20 then by definition of the law of diminishing returns suggest not 1 I them was close to perfect.Further no one drove a car with the same tyres and same technical set up as that “different” Ferrari. Despite 7 WC no one will think about him in the same way as Senna not even close or for me even Prost. Both these guys were better in the the same car and Raikkonen destroyed him and FA several times so he couldn’t have been all that perfect!
      Maybe he might want to come out of retirement to prove us wrong !- and fail again .. : ) 7 time champ who still has something to prove… What a contradiction he WAS.

1. Valentino from montreal says:

Do u feel better now ?

2. Corona says:

Whoah hold up, Schumi’s stint that day is legendary. Irrespective of not being a fan of his it’s quite a bit to say Kimi destroyed him. By that virtue we could say Massa (of all people) ‘destroyed’ Kimi, so much so that Kimi jumped out the sport for a couple of years.

[mod]

3. Elie says:

My point is more to do with the “perfect lap” and the fact that the laws of physics will tell you that to be on the limits completely for 1 lap means you cannot be on them for 20!.
        Further, when someone is that much faster than everyone and it is known he had “custom” tyres you can understand people being sceptical. Further when that someone has driven into people intentionally or pushed them off the track – whatever brilliance he had goes out the window- I was once a huge fan before all this.

30. Bayan says:

Good stuff James. Keep up the great work!

31. JB says:

After watching the video. I would summarise as ‘the ideal lap’ rather than ‘the perfect lap’.

The engineers have a lot of information but no one has ALL the information. Unless you’re god LOL you’ll never have all the information.

Drivers can have the opportunity to adapt to different conditions. Especially when the condition changed suddenly. That’s where a driver can out perform the engineer’s ideal lap.
    A good example is Sebastien Loeb’s record run at Pikes Peak. The engineers said 8:15 and he did it in 8:13. So that is one perfect lap. OK, OK I know it is not F1… but I can’t think of a perfect lap in F1.

32. madmax says:

To be fair to Prost wasn’t Honda playing favourites with the engines especially in their first year together at McLaren.

1. hero_was_senna says:

No they weren’t. It was something insinuated by Prost and Balestre to the world’s media.

Before the 1988 Japanese GP, where Senna could take the title,

Balestre: “…all over the world eyes will be riveted on the Japanese and Australian Grand Prix, the results of which will be decisive for the drivers. We should make every effort to ensure utmost technical objectivity reigns over these two competitions and that equipment (car or engine) of equal quality be made available to the two drivers of the Mclaren team, for otherwise the image of the World Championship, present and future, would be tarnished. I thank you in advance for helping the FIA to achieve this end by giving the necessary instructions to all the Honda technical executives who may play a part on these two forthcoming events.”

The implication was that Honda had been providing inferior specification engines to his countryman and that was why Senna was beating Prost. It was a highly provocative move by Balestre, one that was designed to aggravate Senna and upset Honda. It worked and Honda was furious.

Mr Kume was cold in his response. “Honda Motor Company Ltd sees fairness as the highest requirement of its philosophy for conducting business, and sets this quality as an ideology in its corporate dealings. For the last two races, Honda will continue to supply identical engines which will allow the drivers supreme examples of their skills, as we have always done in line with our basic ideology.”

The final paragraph read: “Finally I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you for consistently performing your important role as president of FISA.”

Another fact that has to be recognised is that the majority of the media was British at the time. In 1988, that meant that Senna was hated and Prost loved. The history of this dates back to when Senna forced Lotus to not sign Derek Warwick to the team for 1986.
      They turned on him and his relationship with the British media never recovered.

33. jmv says:

Watching the picture of Senna in this article, and looking at his empty steering wheel I just remembered reading somewhere that Senna used to change gear by listening to the engine revs (same as most conventional drivers on the road :)

But still its remarkable. Todays drivers are having the Mclaren ECU telling them with lights on the steering wheel, or with a beep in their ears when to change gears.

That cannot be right. The ECU does that part of the driving. The driver is just another “processor”.

In a way I am glad that Senna flourished in an era where driving was more natural.. more depending on the unity between man-machine vs. computer-machine.

34. Lee says:

Looking very rugged there James. Going for a new image?

35. Sebee says:

Here is one way to describe the term “a very small amount.” Just for fun, define “a very small amount” in your head before you read below quote.

“It was £10m as it happens,” Ecclestone told the court, when quizzed on the accusations. “I made the payment because he said he would ‘shake me down’ concerning tax arrangements with our family trust… which would have been very expensive.”

“What I paid him was a very small amount, what I call an insurance policy,” he added.

36. Richard says:

Yes, I am quite aware that I am horribly off topic but:

I’ve heard a couple of days ago that the Ferrari windtunnel will be reopened again. So far (I believe) they have used the Toyota windtunnel for their 2014 programme, is there going to be a likely chance that the results from the Toyota windtunnel will not match the ones of the newe update Maranello windtunnel? And how horribly bad will this affect Ferrari in 2014?

The Ferrari tunnel is reopening yes

They have put significant effort into correcting the problems, so one hopes that correlation was the 1st priority

37. Sammy says:

The perfect lap is just a paradigm.

38. fgbl1 says:

James do you think that the fact that developemnet of the cars has stopped, is contributing to the fact that fewer people become world champions ?

1972-1985 : 10 different world champions
    1986-1999 : 8
    2000-2013 : 6

In the old days, the best driver might not finf himself in the most developed or most reliable car. It was more random.

Now since the cars are more or less the same, and seldom fail, the best guy always wins. There is nothing competing teams can do to get their driver first.

The cars have never been more developed that today.

This year’s McLaren is faster than last years, but look how far off the pace of the leading teams it is – that’s development!

1. fgbl1 says:

Alan why doesn’t it show in the winner’s total time then ? In most GPs it’s the same for the last three years, since DRS was introduced.

Look at some examples :

Catalunya India
        2011 1:39:03.301 1:30:35.002
        2012 1:39:09.145 1:31:10.744
        2013 1:39:16.596 1:31:12.187

The same for most other races. The times are more or less the same for the last 3 years.

In 2012 for the first time in history we had 8 different GP winners. This tells me that a lot of cars are capable of winning because they are very similar.

I think development has stopped and that’s why the car doesn’t matter.

And since obviously Vettel is the best driver, that’s why he wins.

2. Yago says:

Wise words… Sounds like Vettel has to be even better than Schumacher, who by the way won 7 titles:

Ferrari: You have had many team-mates, which was the strongest?
        Massa: Fernando. Schumacher was as quick, but in terms of intelligence, Alonso is better because he manages to put everything together perfectly.

Interview on the official Ferrari web site. 11/06/13 (two days ago)

If he beats Alonso so easily (by 130 points with two races remaining), he would have destroyed Schumacher according to Massa’s words. He must be an unprecedented human being, he is just above all human scales.

3. German Samurai says:

Massa’s looking for a drive next year. If he says that his current teammate is better than a 7 time world champion it makes him look better than if he says Schumacher is better than Alonso.

39. Seifenkistler says:

So Senna’s lap wasn’t perfect. Only laps which are under control should count. If i understand his words right he had to stop after. So he couldn’t have done this in a race.

I heard nearly the same when we at volunteer firefighters had to cut a 20 year old out of his new sportscar. He wanted to test the limits and got trapped in driving to the limits.

I try avoid this feeling. Playing under water rugby it isn’t wise to say to yourself: my playing iis currently perfect, i bet i can stay submerged for another 30s.

40. SteveS says:

Here’s a great side by side comparison of Vettel vs Button in qualifying at the 2011 Japanese GP, where they were separated by nine thousandths of a second.

41. Andrew says:

Does Vettel win all of the 6.5 million simulations?

No, in India Webber won the simulation, but on race day he didn’t get the start right

42. forzaminardi says:

The video, although fascinating, rather sucks any sense of humanity out of the concept of the ‘perfect lap’, doesn’t it? Senna’s words, helped by his evocative language and the reverence around him since his death, speak strongly of the personal contribution of the driver, while the video places the emphasis rather more firmly on the boffins and megabytes. Something, I think, is lost in that process.

1. Matthew Cheshire says:

Yes. The winning part seems to be lost. They all sound like librarians.

1. hero_was_senna says:

Found the Top Gear video with Clarkson testing the Mclaren MP4/12C.

To turn off the traction control takes a quite arduous selection of buttons.
        The engineers looked shocked at his suggestion, “why would you want to do that? To have fun..
        You could see the engineer thinking, hmm fun, I must look that up in a dictionary”

Sums up Mclaren pretty well I think. When you consider Newey’s least successful period, it was during his tenure at Mclaren. Says a lot doesn’t it?

43. Chetan Chohan says:

Gil De Ferran once described Button’s Friday lap in 2005 at Silverstone as perfect.

Thanks for that. I remember him saying that in an interview.