How the West was F1
Austin 2014
US Grand Prix
Perez announces he will leave McLaren at the end of the season
McLaren Mercedes
Perez
Posted By: James Allen  |  13 Nov 2013   |  8:12 pm GMT  |  230 comments

Mexican driver Sergio Perez has announced he will leave McLaren at the end of the season after just one year with the Woking-based team.

It comes a day after JA on F1 reported that the team had dropped Perez and replaced him with Dane Kevin Magnussen – however the latter’s signing has yet to be announced by the team.

Perez, who revealed his decision via a statement on Twitter, joined McLaren this year after two solid seasons with Sauber. While the car has struggled for pace, Perez has failed to match team-mate Jenson Button, scoring 35 points to the 2009 world champion’s 60.

“First of all, I would like to thank McLaren for giving me the opportunity to be with them this season,” said Perez, 23. “It has been an honour for me to have been in one of the most competitive teams in the sport and I do not regret even a bit having joined them. I have always given the best of me for the team and still despite this I could not achieve what I aimed for in this historic team.

“I am committed to deliver very good results in these last two races, especially in Austin. I am so much looking forward to see all my people gathered there, feel their energy and show them the best of me.

“I would like to say to every single one of my fans around the world and in my country that I am eternally grateful to them. They have never let me down, especially in difficult moments like these. I truly appreciate their support, they have never forgotten me.

“I have met a lot of new people at McLaren this season and I have made many good friends as well. From the top management level to marketing, accounting and engineering departments to the mechanics, the cooks, the catering people and basically everyone in the team, I am eternally grateful to them. It has been a learning experience to me.”

Perez’s best option to stay in Formula 1 appears to be Force India, although he is also known to be talking to Sauber with regards a return to the Swiss team.

The Mexican added: “I would like to wish the team the very best in the future. I will always be a fan of McLaren, in the meanwhile I will be looking at my future to ensure my position in the best possible package to fight for wins. You can rest assured that I will never give up.”

In response to Perez’s announcement and ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh released a statement – but refused to say who would replace Perez alongside Button next season.

“We would like to thank Checo for his kind and gracious statement and for being a fine team member during the 2013 Formula One season,” he said. “There are still two grands prix yet to run this year, and our collective focus is on scoring as many points as we can in those two remaining races.

“Checo has made many friends during his time at McLaren – and, together, as a team, we intend to do our utmost to help him finish his year with us with two good results, especially here in Austin, where he has so many fans. We wish him well for the future, and are sure that he will have many successes ahead of him.

“As regards our driver line-up for next year, no 2014 deal has yet been signed with any driver except Jenson, and we therefore have nothing further to announce at this time. As and when that situation progresses, we will make a further announcement accordingly.”

Featured Video
JensonTrialthlon
Sign up for Jenson’s Triathlon today!
Featured News in mclaren
MORE FROM McLaren
LATEST FROM THE MCLAREN MERCEDES COMMUNITY
  1. AlexTrickle says:

In before he scores McClaren’s first/only podium of the year!

1. Stephen Taylor says:

Prepare for a backlash from the Mexican fans this weekend.

1. Rod Salazar says:

Yes! We will burn our McLaren Shirts after the race. Sh*t of team !

2. Random 79 says:

Midnight, McLaren’s Austin Texas HQ…

Jenson Button: Where is everyone?
        Martin Whitmarsh: I don’t know Jenson.
        Jenson Button: What do we do?
        Martin Whitmarsh: Time to call the boss. Ron?
        Ron Dennis: Yes Martin?
        Martin Whitmarsh: We have gained ingress into our Austen Texas HQ but there’s no-one in sight.
        Ron Dennis: Status report?
        Martin Whitmarsh: Jenson’s scared.
        Jenson Button: Am not.
        Martin Whitmarsh: Are too.
        Ron Dennis: Quiet, both of you! Form up in a pair and sweep the sectors.
        Martin Whitmarsh: You heard him.
        Jenson Button: Hey look at this…what is this stuff?
        Martin Whitmarsh: Looks like some sort of secreted sauce.
        Jenson Button: Yeah…but secreted from what?
        Martin Whitmarsh: Don’t touch nothin’.
        Jenson Button: It’s hot it here.
        Martin Whitmarsh: Yeah, but it’s a dry heat.
        Ron Dennis:
        You’re right under the primary wind tunnel.
        Martin Whitmarsh: Stay frosty Jenson…
        Jenson Button: Wait! What was that sound?
        Martin Whitmarsh: Sounded like…maracas…
        Jenson Button: You don’t mean…
        Martin Whitmarsh: ARRRGGGH!
        Jenson Button: MARTIN!
        Ron Dennis: What’s happening? Talk to me Jenson!
        Jenson Button: THEY’RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS! THEY’RE COMING OUT OF THE GOSHDARN WALLS LIKE BUGS MAN!
        Ron Dennis: MARTIN?! JENSON?! ANYONE?!
        Jenson Button: GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!

3. Torchwood Five says:

Fantastic.

Now how do you get italics?

4. Wellbalanced says:

I applaud your effort

5. Random 79 says:

@Torchwood Five

Just use standard HTML tags. The real trick is to use them without breaking them ;)

6. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

Sweet, loving your work… Aliens, but it is so Ron Dennis.

“Hey, maybe you haven’t been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!”

7. Random 79 says:

@Clarks4WheelDrift

Lol, nice finish :)

8. Mike says:

That’s if they can be bothered.

2. ferggsa says:

Well, with a poor Ferrari performance, no Kimi, two stops for Mercedes, and doing one stop like Grosjean, he might even pull it off

Hope he gets an F1 drive quickly, or he will end up driving Indy cars (which is more fun and a lot less pressure)

1. Rob says:

And much ore dangerous.

2. Rob says:

Indycar is too dangerous. It should be banned.

3. Gudien says:

Other than chasing Hamilton and Perez off the premises can someone please explain to me what Mr. Button has done to keep his job?

1. Gul says:

well said!

2. Doug says:

Faired really well against the driver who’s widely regarded as the fastest in F1 & spanked his replacement.

I hope that’s cleared that up for you! :-)

3. iceman says:

And can someone explain to me, apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order, what have the Romans ever done for us?

4. Gudien says:

LOL !

Comparing Jenson Button to the Roman Empire/civilization was not really what I had in mind.

Thanks for the sense of reality; it’s just a sport, right?

5. Tornillo Amarillo says:

Latin words for botany.

6. Tornillo Amarillo says:

Another mistake from…

2013 loosing HAMILTON, mistake
        2013 car… mistake
        2014 BUTTON in, mistake
        2014 PEREZ out, mistake
        2014 keeping Martin WHITMARSH, mistake

I prefer WHITMARSH out and PEREZ in!

7. All revved-up says:

Conversation at McLaren
        “our car sucks”
        “we were the number 1 team boys, we can do it”
        “how do we get back to our glory days?”
        “I miss the Senna/Prost years”
        “that’s it ! You’re such a genius”
        “that’s inspired leadership W”

2015 : McLaren Honda car painted orange and white

8. Ange says:

They’ll never drop Button simply because he’s great for sponsors. Sponsors like a world champion! He’s a bit like David Coulthard if you like. He’s accessible, diplomatic, popular with other drivers and fans and knows how to “handle” the media.

Whether it was the car or not, Button is the 2009 world champion and no one can take that away from him. Yes, he’s probably not in the same league as Vettel or Alonso, or even Hamilton when Hamilton is actually trying to drive, but on a good day Button CAN have a great race!

McLaren shouldn’t have got Perez in the first place, or at least, shouldn’t make those grandiose comments about “building” the team around Perez and that he has a great future at McLaren etc. They made a big mistake and won’t admit it! What they could have done is to have had the courtesy to have made their minds earlier about keeping or dropping Perez.

9. JB says:

McLaren has making plain dumb decisions of late…
        First of all, they should never have got rid of Hamilton.
        Secondly, they should have chose Hulkenburg instead of Mexican$$$ Perez.

Now, I think they are getting it right by signing Magnussen. All the best Magnussen.

The Next thing they need is to get rid of Button. He is just one of those one hit wonder. When your car (the 2009 Brawn) is 2 seconds faster than anyone else, any monkey driver can win the WDC.

10. Ange says:

Re Hamilton, he was just asking too much, which was against Ron’s favourite motto, “No one is bigger than the team”, and frankly at this point I highly doubt his performances can justify the amount he’s earning. Hamilton leaving was probably a good decision, both for Hamilton and for McLaren.

The person they shouldn’t have “lost” is Paddy Lowe! Honestly, after Adrian Newey and James Allison, he’s probably the best technical director out there and they should have given him whatever he wanted if money was the problem. This year’s car is probably the worst they’ve built in the last decade and I am afraid the same will happen with the 2014 car.

11. hero_was_senna says:

Bear in mind Ange, that Paddy Lowe was responsible for the 2013 car… he was placed on gardening leave by Mclaren just before this seasons launch

12. Robert says:

Outscored the possibly best driver in F1 over the course of 3 years as a teammate in the same car, while being paid less money (6mm versus 15MM in their first year together, closer after that). Pleasing nearly all of their corporate sponsors with a promotable image, being very accessible, and doing all the photoshoots and interviews necessary, while never badmouthing their brand. Oh, and winning the WDC in 2009 and taking second in the WDC just two years ago – meaning he actually can drive, too. Any other dumb questions?

13. Gudien says:

Yes, one question. Why does McLaren want a slow driver?

Just wondering…..

14. deeno says:

outscoring over three years? does that statistic make Jenson more valuable.? Have you calculated how many points the team lost for Hamilton last year. Bad pitstops, under fueling, gearbox failure etc.

Mclaren had the best chance to win the 2012 WDC! But with Hamilton not with Buton.

PEREZ could be the same to Mclaren, as Grosjean is to Lotus if he is given a chance to acclimate to th car.

Button is only good at complaining…

2. Mark says:

I think they have been harsh on Perez, especially leaving this decision to November when most drives for 2014 are taken.

On another note, Hulkenberg is nuts to turn down racing for lotus in the final 2 races of the year. He must be confident of a 2014 ride.

1. Charlie says:

Apparently Ferarri paid sauber so that they could pay hulkenberg. That meant that his contract was valid and therefore couldn’t leave Sauber.

Sound tactic from Ferarri there, but disappointing for Lotus. I guess Kovaleinen is the next best choice!

1. Random 79 says:

Surprising, but makes sense I suppose.

Can anyone confirm it?

2. Equin0x says:

I don’t think Hulkenberg’s nuts, imagine if Lotus was only using him for the final 2 races and without a drive for 2014? Hulkenberg has done te right thing in not leaving Sauber the first chance he gets.

1. Wellbalanced says:

Agreed- his reputation is tip top at moment, could only suffer in what must be a difficult 2 races in an unfamiliar car

2. iceman says:

Yes the last guy to leave Sauber for a bigger team hasn’t done so well out of it!

3. Elliot says:

Either that or he wants to ensure he gets paid the money Sauber owes him.

4. Stephen Taylor says:

Think Nico Hulkenberg was sensible not taking the Lotus seat for USA and Brazil . It was too risky.

5. I don’t agree. He has had no time in the car and so will probably get beaten by Grojsean.

I’m not saying that because I rate Grosjean higher than Hulkenberg, quite the opposite in fact, but how can he be expected to come into a team where he has had no testing, doesn’t know the team and be expected to perform to his best?

No good could come of it.

6. Grant H says:

Autosport is reporting kov will take the lotus 2 race contract

7. Chester says:

I agree, I too think they have been rather harsh on Perez. After all, the car has proven to be a bit of a ‘dog’ and the fault for this must lie fair and square with all those involved in its original development.

Given that much of this development will have taken place before the season began I would start to ask some very serious questions of Button and Hamilton. It seems neither has the intellectual capacity to communicate with the technical and engineering staff at McLaren in the manner of a Vettel or Webber at Red Bull.

This is a serious failing and I would suggest that some of the current unease at Mercedes is due to Hamilton once again being unable to adequately communicate with his new technical team.

Now we know why Eddie Jordan said that every team wants ‘a Vettel’ for their number one car and a Vettel for their number two car.

Formula 1 doesn’t get any tougher than this!

1. Gary says:

The issue is not Checo’s absolute pace, which obviously is a strong function of the chassis and out of Checo’s control, rather it is his relative pace versus Button. McLaren is looking for a new talent with the potential to beat Vettel, Hamilton et al in the future, and to demonstrate that potential he would have needed to show better pace and flashes of brilliance versus Button. Don’t think for a second that McLaren does not understand the limitations, and strengths/weaknesses, of their number one driver.

2. Andrew Jarman says:

Although he’s got less points than Button he hasn’t been all that far off him in terms of general race performance – maybe finishing 11th when Jenson has finished 9th – but I agree – they’re looking for brilliance – someone who can go up against the top 4 – Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton and Raikonnen, not another second tier driver like Button, Rosberg and Webber – and Checo looks like he’s probably one of those at best…

3. Wellbalanced says:

Agree, feel Perez has been used harshly. Still, he’s coming out with head held high, which is to his credit

4. J Hancock says:

I think the issue is with Mclaren/Whitmarsh’s obsession with rotating designer and car every season rather than the drivers’ ability to communicate (including Perez here). The 12 car was competitive, they threw it in the bin, the 11 car was competitive too, they threw it in the bin, so was the 10 car and they threw that away too.
        Starting from near scratch every twelve months is a recipe for chaos and the exact opposite of what Ferrari did under Brawn/Byrne/Todt and what Red Bull do now with Horner/Newey.

5. Ange says:

Wait, what? They rotate designers? Do you mind elaborating? I have only started following F1 in the last year so my grasp of such details is rather poor! :)

8. Ant says:

Why is he nuts?

The Hulk is showing that he honors his commitments, unlike other drivers on the grid. Even if lotus have him next year, demonstrating integrity will get him more contractual offers than a few seat-of-the-pants races in a different car. Everyone knows how fast he is, he is showing how classy he is, even without pay.

If I were in F1 Grosjean and Hulk would be on my shopping list

1. Random 79 says:

Yes and these days demonstrating integrity is what Lotus is all about.

9. Pete says:

I think lotus would still want him if he chooses not to drive for last two races.

From my understanding, the thinking is that he wants some negotiating power for next season and does not want to make it seem as lotus is a foregone conclusion.

10. AuraF1 says:

I think Hulkenberg was smart actually. To climb into a car that is not set up for him is likely to be totally different to what he’s used to – at best he does okay, at worst he underperforms and we’ve seen how short term F1 teams can be regarding driver momentum – Unless Hulkenberg smashed Grosjean and scored massive points there’d be all sorts of paddock gossip suddenly about how ‘Hulkenberg crumbles under pressure of a front running team’…

Better to stick with his improved Sauber and hope the money comes through to get a seat in a very different Lotus next year…

11. Anirudh s says:

He was never approached by Lotus. Kovalainen is taking Kimi’s spot there

12. All revved-up says:

Agree it’s very harsh.

What’s going on with decision making at McLaren? Why the dithering?

Ferrari and Red Bull set themselves deadlines to decide on their driver pairings for 2014 – sometime around Monza.

Isn’t it a mark of a well managed outfit to set timetables and make plans?

Perhaps they were giving Perez a chance to show that he’s capable of driving at Alonso/Vettel’s level?

But at the end of the day, it’s better to make a decision than make no decision – because the latter is a decision made by inertia.

1. Yago says:

A driver doesn’t need a top car to show “he’s acapable to drive at Alonso/Vettel’s level”. It should be pretty clear that if a driver can not destroy Kobayashi on saturdays, he is not at “Alonso/Vettel’s level”.

13. Sasidharan says:

He was just honoring his current contract.
      Anyway Lotus is not going to pay him for these two races ;)

3. Thompson says:

How long was Perez’s contract for?

Personnally me thinks it should be Whitmarsh who goes for losing Hamilton. When ever Mclaren has had a bad car over the past few years he managed with the engineers to get it turned around and win a race or two and when the car was good he was great.

This season has been pretty pathetic really, by Maccas own standards nothing to show – Button was has bad as Perez and personnally I don’t think his radio shinanigons helped Perez’s cause.

But sel a ve… Perez got his chance.

like some one said the othere day, I hope he goes to another team and beats Mclaren, though I doubt we’ll see him on the grid again.

1. Grant H says:

Hamilton’s influence would not have magically solved maccas issues – drivers only provide feedback, button and perez’s feedback would have been the same

1. Thompson says:

GrantH this was discussed a few weeks ago, but I do find it an interesting topic, lets look at it objectively.

Macca starts season with poor car, gradually gets better as season passes, Hamilton at the sharp end – his team mate struggling in the midfield (go back as far as Kovi if you like).

Team mate ( lets take Button) in desperation takes Hamiltons set-up and becomes competative.

He moves to Merc who have struggled the past 3 years – oh how we scoffed when reports of Hamilton suggesting changes ( giving feedback etc) – remember the button reduction on the steering wheel, oh how we laughed.

2 races left Merc are 2nd in the WCC with 3 wins this season – coincidence…..you think?

Mean while Macca are fighting for 5th place without a podium let alone a win…. you see no obvious denominator….no?

I said this before, all these cars are fast…including the Caterham and Marussia. A drivers input can make a huge difference.

Never understood why Williams never hired Damon Hill as a set up consultant – read the other day he was the developement driver during the early years of domination – late 80′s early 90′s before he inherited the drive after Sennas death….

2. J Hancock says:

Re: Williams. Damon’s disgust at being fired and not even told just as he won the title might be something to do with it. Legend has it he knew nothing until seeing the news on the cover of Autosport, that can sour a relationship.

3. Grant H says:

When lewis and jenson were team mates there were certainly times e.g 2011 car where lewis was able to drag a poorer car higher up the grid than jenson could

And good feedback is critical in driving development direction

However maccas problems this year seem more fundamental to go from quickest 2012 to no podium 2013 (first since 1980) is just to big a gap to be driver feedback,

If performance would have dipped over a few years after lewis you could argue that development direction is incorrect (eg can be linked to feedback)

Also the 2013 car including key decisions would have been made in 2012 from the back of lewis and jenson as team mates – i think i read somewhere decisions such as mech set up (eg the new suspension for 13) are made around may of the prev year

4. Robert says:

The falsity there is “JB took Hamilton’s set-up”. The truth was that JB could not get heat into the tyres in the early races, after his win in the fairly warm, hard-braking Melbourne GP. So he directed his engineers to make changes that added heating, and increased downforce. This led to the car rapidly destroying it’s tyres, similar to Mercedes. So JB wanted to back those changes out, but over 5 races the car had undergone massive updates, and they couldn’t find a “neutral” setting again. So they did take Hamiliton’s set-up as a starting point to find neutral – and then tuned for Jenson from there. So, it was more that they undid the tyre-destroying changes they had made, more than actually Lewis having a perfect set-up…as JB admitted in interviews, he lead the engineers down a wrong path on that one, because no one realised just how fragile those 2012 Pirellis would be compared to the 2011s. What he did seems obvious – if you lack heat and grip, add more downforce to generate more heat. I think McLaren made fundamental changes that eventually brought the levels of tyre heating and grip up through other means (brake ducts, etc.) without needing to add more downforce, which is why that car became very competitive in the second half of the year.

5. Thompson says:

Grant H, I’ve said before this car, I believe just needed to be ‘switched on’ – Robert , made the point and its a valid point, which is what Button/Perez could not do with their engineers “find a neutral point” to move forward from.

(He does kind of miss the fact that Hamilton was seriously taking the fight to Vettel/RB 2012 and potentially could have had 7 wins last season….. thats some pretty good ‘neutral point’ alright.)

2. Ace says:

It was a 3 year contract reported by BBC last year. I’m guessing that it also depended on receiving sponsorship money from Carlos Slim’s TelMex which hasn’t happened.

1. Wellbalanced says:

With a performance based option-slow car, little points, allows McLaren to boot him out

2. Thompson says:

But surely the performance works both ways – neither car has scored 100 points – really shoddy treatment of Perez.

3. Wellbalanced says:

Thompson- I quite agree, it all seems a bit rich from McLaren. But that will be how they were able to dump him.

How Whitmarsh is not getting more criticism, given the about-to-be worst McLaren season in recent memory, I don’t know.

3. Torchwood Five says:

Ditto.

4. Justin says:

It’s definitely not MW’s fault that Lewis left.

1. Mitchel says:

What’s Murray Walker got to do with this :)?

The important thing is this: how do the writers of ‘Tooned’ adapt to this merry-go-round?!

I never saw how Hamilton was ‘killed-off’….

2. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

*spoiler alert* ;)

Kinda like Doctor Who changing, Ham entered the simulator and exits transformed into Perez…

35 mins in:-

3. Random 79 says:

@Clarks4WheelDrift

A Mexican Doctor Who…nope, can’t picture it ;)

4. Chris says:

May I congratulate Martin W on a magnificent season!! You’ve also trully managed to find the weak leak in your team, so next year you’ll clean up ;)

1. Sebee says:

It was all by design. Ease up on the harshness.

Seriuosly, how many seasons can you grind your engine supplier’s team into the ground before they tell you that you won’t get an engine anymore if you don’t put yourself back in your place…behind the engine manufacturer’s team?

1. Tim says:

Did the Mercs strike the same deal with Ferrari as well ?

2. Nikos says:

It’s not about finding the weakest link (what is a “weak leak”??). It’s about losing the strongest link…

3. Jonno says:

I couldn’t agree more. McLaren have also ensured no other team will be lumbered with Perez by releasing him so late in the season, he’s unlikely to get another drive in F1.

Their attitude to drivers reminds me of Williams – and haven’t they done well in the last 20 years.

1. Tealeaf says:

You mean last 15 years? Coz from 1992-1997 they almost cleaned up the titles.

2. Tim says:

I believe it was a McLaren team member that said;
        ” Drivers are just interchangeable light bulbs – you plug them in and they do the job”
        Makes their position clear! Mind you, they are the 2nd most successful team of all time, so I guess they know a thing or two about racing cars.

4. Ange says:

ABSOLUTELY!! Perez was definitely the only problem! Now next year, I expect them to be even better than Red Bull! *NOT*

5. Sri says:

He found the weak link? No, he did not resign yet!

6. Random 79 says:

My sarcasm detector just went into overload ;)

5. SteveS says:

As the saying goes, it’s all about being in the right place at the right time and Perez had the misfortune to join Mclaren for their worst season is decades. His Sauber last year was quite a bit better than his McLaren this year.

6. Sebee says:

Seriously…

Slim is super rich. Let’s say he wants Telmex in F1. McLaren makes a play for it, but you know this is Slim and Telmex, it ain’t a small fish. Other teams would want to land that fish. Hmmm…Slim – you think he settles for second or third best? You guys don’t think that if he decides Telmex is going into F1, it will be with Ferrari or nothing?

So let’s say the Slim/Telmex money is still in play. Where does it land? Troubled Lotus? Loaded Red Bull? Obviuosly not at McLaren. Then where? And who could Perez and Slim/Telmex money replace but none other than Alonso and Santander at Ferrari.

Yup. If this conspiracy theory turns out right, I officially retire from making theories. Think about it. It’s not that far fetched.

1. Sebee says:

Oh crap…this theory could be for real.

Slim knows he can’t shoehorn Perez into Ferrari for this 2013 season. So he gets McLaren to sign him last year and keep him active in hope of scoring Telmex. While at the same time getting negotiating leverage against Ferrari/Alonso/Santander in the form of Perez is already at McLaren and all I need to do to be Telmex McLaren is a cursive flick of a pen. Does it sound like a negotiating tactic a man who knows a thing or two about deal making would do?

Be honest…the whole thing of Perez/Telmex at Ferrari soon, maybe even 2014 makes some sense.

1. Sasidharan says:

Hope this theory is never right.

2. dimitris says:

I do not believe sponsors’ money were instrumental in Maclaren’s decision to drop Perez. Maclaren wanted a driver better than Button, a top tier driver, not the best of the second tier drivers who they believe they have in Button. They gambled on Perez to be first tier material and did not work out. Perez definitely is not first tier material. None of the current young drivers, except maybe Bianchi and possibly Bottas, are top tier material. Maclaren are planning for the future and opted for Magnussen who they believe could fill that role in a couple of seasons, since they are not sure of luring Alonso to Maclaren in 2015.

3. dave rob says:

errr…..what are you on about?! Have a cup of coffee and stop talking such drivel!

4. Sebee says:

It’s true I quit coffee recently. :-)

5. Random 79 says:

Sebee you’re the only one I know who could get caught by surprise by their own comment lol ;)

6. Sebee says:

I know. I wrote the theory of Perez at Ferrari, and then Slim’s convenient negotiating angle in all this came to my mind. Figures I would share my deep thoughts.

Think about it. Slim was noncommittal to McLaren. Meanwhile he could have been in talks with Ferrari. Sauber has Telmex money now right? Ferrari engine, next step is… :-)

7. Anne says:

Jules Bianchi has better chances at being Raikkone´s team mate than Perez. Jules is Ferrari´s baby.Other strong candidates could be Hulkenberg. And there is of course Seb. Ferrari is always holding many cards for the future. I don´t see that Perez could be their number 1 priority

8. Sebee says:

I say again, this is all about Slim and his desire to have Telmex as an F1 sponsor. Perez is just a consequence of that decision.

If all is not well between Alonso and Ferrari, and Alonso is looking to park himself that that Santander check elsewhere (i.e. McLaren 2015), what sponsor replaces Santander? Possibly Telmex perhaps? And how much do you think it would cost McLaren to remove Kevin should Alonso suddently be available this winter with his Santander check? Pennies!

9. Anne says:

If Slim wants to have Telmex as an F1 sponsor. All he has to do is to make a deal with Bernie. So Telmex could be sponsoring races. Slim could make a deal similar to the one Rolex has made with F1.

10. Fireman says:

C’mon Seb, this is silly :)

Perez is out of F1 after this decision. According to a reliable source, the relationship with Slim has broken.

I don’t believe that is the case. I think Slim is still there in the background for the moment, but what isn’t there it appears is a large cheque

12. Kirk says:

Well, after your comment I went to the Escuderia Telmex web page to see if there is something about Perez, but he seems not to be in the list of pilots sponsored by Telmex, last year he was everywhere there, here is the link: http://escuderiatelmex.com

13. Sebee says:

Slim is the king maker here. Granted, my little theory is far fetched. But it seems Alonso to McLaren in 2015 with his Santander check is nearly an accepted possibility.

Who then replaces Alonso? And more importantly (really) who replaces Santander and their many many millions?

14. Fireman says:

@James Allen

Maybe so. The word is that Perez didn’t accept reduced salary, which for some reason didn’t make Slim happy, hence my conclusion, but we’ll see.

@Sebee

You’ve got this wrong. If Alonso goes to McLaren, Santander doesn’t follow. They want to be with Ferrari.

15. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

Seebee et al, you’re theorising too small.

He may have held off McLaren to buy F1 from CVC, a mere drop in the ocean for him…

1 light, 2 lights, 3, 4 lights, 5,…, LIGHTS OUT and its GO GO GO at the Autodromo Hermandos Rodriguez!!! The Telmex RedBull is slow away, Telmex Ferrari’s sweep past either side, Bang, oh my, front wing off! Black with Gold Telmex writing, its Maldonado! Now red Telmexs lead through turns 1 and 2, the Slim S’s, onto the Telmex Straight, and wait, here comes the all powerful Telmex Mercedes…

2. MISTER says:

Could I have some of what you’ve been smoking?

You think Ferrari will take Perez now after he’s been kicked from McLaren? Ferrari said before that Perez was not ready, and that was when he was scoring podiums in the Sauber. Now, after a weak season at McLaren, and with so many other good drivers out there, there’s no way Ferrari would go back to Perez. Absolutely no way.

Ferrari have their eyes on the big fish, like Vettel.

3. Yago says:

You can rest easy, you are not going to retire from making theories…

7. I know says:

What I read from Perez’ statements is that he seems pretty confident of getting a drive next year with either Sauber or Force India. Discounting the Sauber seat reserved for Sirotkin, there are at least 5 drivers in Di Resta, Sutil, Gutierrez, Hulkenberg, and Perez to compete for the remaining three – that’s assuming that Lotus have pretty much decided on Maldonado and PDVSA and to fill Kimi’s seat and the big hole in their finances, respectively.

In my opinion, Ecclestone was good for F1 when times were good, but he wasn’t good enough when times got tough – all the millions spent on bribes and excesses were ultimately taken from the sport. This has left all but the strongest teams exposed financially, and now sadly with no choice but to get into the rental-car business in order to balance their books.

8. Erik says:

The Hulk to McLaren?..

9. shri says:

- McLaren would have enough data on hand to make this decision
    - Good Luck to Perez to find a seat in mid-field team. He got his chance but did not work out with a top team
    - Not sure what McLaren thinks of next move : Magnussen (their best prospect) OR Hulkenberg (best available driver in the market right now)

10. Dave P says:

This should be a lesson to all teams who get excited about drivers who seem to be the next stars based on a few performances in a car that at the time looked pretty good. Instead of believeing all the hype,they should take time to really check out the facts. I think at the moment Grosjean is in the same category…. yes he could be good… but based on the last few races where he is driving a clearly good car… yet there is a lot of hype..the time to judge a driver is not when they get podiums but how they handle the bad times…

1. Adrien Terrenoire says:

I agree. Just take a look at story arc of Button’s buzz. The hype around him has gone back and forth between great, just okay, and best of the rest a number of times. I rate his handling of bad times quite hightly.

Setting asside the fact that all of this is fun, the people with the best data are making data driven decisions. Fan(atics) are making emotional arguements with a thin slice of data. Time to step back as Dave P said

1. Yago says:

The hype around Button has gone back and forth mostly depending on the car he drove. This is were most fans struggle to do accurate analysis, most people is unable to extrapolate car performance from driver performance. It’s a difficult thing to do, and even the experts have trouble with it.

2. Robert says:

Added to the fact that many times when Button a fast car, it could be stunningly unreliable…

2. Yago says:

Absolutely agree. It was pretty obvious for me that Perez wasn’t anything special. I thought signing him was a weird decision from McLaren (although they were forced to sign a driver, so they had to choose from the options at their disposal). Now it’s clear I and other people were right.

The same for Grosjean. He is not a “bad” driver, but he is not an special talent. He was absolutely destroyed by Alonso at Renault, and at times by Kimi Raikkonen.

I have doubts about Hulkemberg too. For me if he was something special, he should have destroyed the teammates he has had. He was beaten easily by Rubens, he was quite closely matched with Paul Di Resta, and now Gutierrez is not that far pace wise. Nothing really special for me either, and I am not amazed as other people are by him not finding any top drive. It is far from clear if he is championship material.

11. Mike Smith says:

Nice. Now can we also have Whitmarsh and Sam Michael being fired, and replaced by Ron Dennis and Mclaren will finally be a force to reckon with again. Ditching Button and adding Alonso in 2015 will also sweeten the deal.

1. Mocho_Pikuain says:

Ron Dennis and Alonso together again? If they want Fernando, better stick with Martin.

1. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

Dennis still runs the show…

It’ll be Button and Mags in the car in ’14, he’ll have Alonso cleaning the toilets in the McLaren Technology Centre. He will however have complete #1 status so will have the biggest bottle of bleach and first pick of the marigold rubber gloves.

(all covered by a hidden clause in a microdot, the dot above the letter “i” in McLaren/Ferando’s Dr”i”ver’s Contract 2014)

There’s an episode of tooned for them ;)

2. Random 79 says:

Sounds great in theory, but unfortunately Alonso will get out of his bleach and marigold rubber gloves contract on a technicality: They misspelled his name ;)

12. Steve says:

Bad luck for Sergio given a top team drive then recieving a poor car and being booted after a single year. To think they had the fastest car at the end of 2012!
    IMO they signed him a bit too fast. I dont know why they didnt go for Hulkenburg or DiResta. Apparently ‘one’ of the team principals doesnt rate Hulkenburg and that could be Whitmarsh.
    I do hope Sergio stays in F1 but IMO he is probably a mid field driver. He’s not a top talent although good. Maybe he will slot in at Sauber and they get the Telmex dollar. Hopefully Pastor will be out of F1 with Hulkenburg in Lotus. Force India can go with DiResta and Calardo! :)

13. Andrew M says:

It just gets harder and harder to be a McLaren fan…

1. Tyler says:

Never was, never will be

1. Andrew M says:

Yeah, I mean who needs world championships, race win or even podiums?

14. Mike Martin says:

To start with I am no Perez fan at all. I always saw his departure to McLaren a waist of a premium seat. Still I want to point out I believe he did not receive a real chance. For starters it’s his first season with a new team. I told many times that even if you are a WDC it is still very difficult to adjust to the new situation. This brings me to my next point and that is that he had very little input in this years car which is a dread to drive and made and designed for Button. I also want to point out that 25 points behind JB is not so bad especially if you think about my first 2 points. If button would have had 140 points and Perez 25 …yes, that would be a complete wipe out but that is hardly the case.

The main problem we have here is that McLaren assumed they have hired a new Lewis Hamilton. Well, me and I think many of this forum could have assured McLaren they did not hire a LH. This makes you wonder how good Whitmarsh is doing his job. Letting Lewis go, hiring a jinx from Williams, keep believing in Mr Earth Honda days crap car setup I have no grip Button.

Anyway, I think this is it for Perez and his F1 career ends here. Chewed up and spit out by McLaren. With so many fresh new talent knocking at doors and with so much untalented pay drives this is it. Life is hard sometimes especially if F1.

Sauber will not take Perez back because they are still pissed off about his poor second halve of the season when he signed to goto McLaren.
    Force India plays the same merry go around play every year with there dynamic trio Sutil,DiResta and Hulkenberg.
    Lotus start to get more and more unprofessional every day. Not paying Kimi, Cursing, Trying to steal Hulkenberg who still has contract work with Sauber.
    The rest of the remaining seats you do not even want when leaving a top team.

Disclaimer: None today. Bombs away if you feel the need.

1. Wellbalanced says:

Mike, well said re Perez. Also, am I not right that he outqualified Button?

2. Doug says:

Mike,

F1 is a data driven sport, there’s nowhere to hide.
      Perez just hasn’t shown the racepace/racecraft to compete with JB.

This years McLaren is a dog, but JB has scored fairly consistantly twice as many points as Perez. This has only closed up in recent races due to JB being involved in first lap bumps.

This years car was not designed for JB, it was designed for JB & LH 2 drivers with very different driving styles. The Pirelli tyres have a very narrow sweet spot. JB struggles to get heat into them..when he does, he can make them last. Everyone knows that this is JB’s weakness/strength (LH tended to overheat his tyres, hence a compromised car)…but the team haven’t got a handle on conrolling tyre temps as well as Red Bull..and even lately Mercedes.

McLaren went radical on this years car & it’s backfired on them big style. I’m just crossing my fingers that they’ve learnt their lessons and that next years McLaren is, at the very least, competative.

I truly hope McLaren hire ‘The Hulk’ as it’d be great to have 2 ‘A’ drivers in the car next year…Magnussen might be quick..but is he experienced enough?

1. Mike Martin says:

Thank you for your constructive input.
        You said:
        ” This years car was not designed for JB, it was designed for JB & LH 2 drivers with very different driving styles.”

The car was designed for JB and maybe for Lewis but definitely not for Perez. That’s the point that I am trying to make. McLaren knew around Hungary that Lewis would leave. Around Hungary there are plans for the new car but it’s far from finished. Plenty of time to change features to Jensons liking.(what I am sure they did and so do you)

You said
        ” F1 is a data driven sport, there’s nowhere to hide. Perez just hasn’t shown the racepace/racecraft to compete with JB”

Show me this data please? How I remember things Perez was only a couple of tenths slower then his WDC teammate who is in F1 for over 10 years and is with the team for over 3 years. Recently I even saw Perez out qualify Button once a while.

There is absolutely no real reason to dumb Perez 2 races before the end of the season. 25 points behind his teammate is really not so bad. I can point out so many other drivers who are under performing for years and are over 25 points behind their teammate.

I must congratulate Martin W. Well played. Smart to pin a poor season loaded with poor decisions on Perez.

Thx

2. deeno says:

And not to mention potentially destroying poor Perez’s career. It shows to me how short sighted he is. Was it not he that said during Hamilton’s departure “we have no plan B if Hamilton leaves”.

3. Joel says:

At the start of 2013, JB confirmed that the car was designed around him, with his inputs. I understand that the next year’s car design starts very early in the previous year. However, once they knew LH is leaving, they did have enough time to switch focus on JB’s driving style. Also, Perez seemed to make the tyre last long in his 2012 Sauber and the thought process was that he would completment JB – with both drivers having the same driving style.
        I think this din’t work out trying to get the nexessary inputs for the engineers.

3. yellowbelly says:

Gosh, what an all-rounder Jenson is, driver, designer and engineer! He must save McLaren a fortune in salaries, with his multi-tasking.

Also, hasn’t Lewis decried his lack of traction “I’ve got no grip, man” on more than one occasion this season?

1. Mike Martin says:

Your responds is solely to start a slugfest. No need. I quote myself “This brings me to my next point and that is that he had very little input in this years car which is a dread to drive and made and designed FOR Button” end quote

There is nothing in my post that ask you to come to this forum and behave like a white knight running to save a damsel in distress. Button does not need you to nor is this situation asking for it.

Thx for your input, anyway.

2. Tito says:

Yeah, everybody needs a scape goat.

4. Joel says:

“Force India plays the same merry go around play every year with there dynamic trio Sutil,DiResta and Hulkenberg”

How true :) you nailed it…

15. Adam says:

Very interesting comment from Perez elsewhere that McLaren lacked humility and refused to see that they didn’t have a race winning car this year.

16. Franco says:

So it seems Luca di Montezemolo was right about Perez after all.

1. The Spanish Inquisitor says:

Perez wasn’t as good as he seemed to be last year season but he isn’t as bad as seems this year. Bad lucky. Perhaps Nico will be the next Perez.

1. Joel says:

The BS of a tyre has thrown a monkey wrench on the general paddock concensus on who the best/good/journey man drivers are.
        A midfield car that saves its tyres and gets its riders on podium – makes everyone think the driver is the next Senna. Atleast this is what many in the public think – However, never though a team like McLaren will get fooled this way. It was very apparent for Luca to come out and say that Perez is not ready for Ferrari.

17. Martin says:

Rather shabby treatment of Perez by Mclaren, Perez will get a seat and loooking around this could mean Paul Di Resta is out of F1.

1. Joel says:

Not backing lead driver(LH) for title – Mistake
      Hiring JB while LH in team – Mistake
      Losing him – Mistake
      Hiring Perez – Mistake
      Firing him (too late in season) – Mistake

Who is (cough..ruining.cough..) this team?

18. gregmon says:

Words fail me…

19. Ambrose says:

If I know anything about human nature, Perez did not write that statement and may not even have read it yet

20. eric says:

As always, you focus accountability where its easiest. Fast driver in a crap car. Its a familiar story.

21. Serrated_Edge says:

Doesn’t reflect well on Whitmarsh when it has been said it was his sole decision to recruit Perez in the first place….one season on Perez shown the door, perhaps Whitmarsh should follow Perez through it after such a disastrous season for a team of McLarens standing.

22. leslie D'Amico says:

Always the political correctness! What he really should say,… First of all, I would like to thank McLaren for screwing up my opportunity to drive in F1 this season.

It’s all about the money, can’t offend anyone, F1 has become a bunch of pussies…just sayin’

1. Kirk says:

Well, to the Mexican media he hasn’t been that political, first he said that McLaren lacks of humility to see the reality and some days ago he said that the british media was forcing McLaren to get him out because British don’t want a Mexican as a McLaren driver.

23. Grant H says:

So of the remaining midfield teams we have … (excluding macca as looks like magnussen has that seat)

1 seat lotus
    2 seat force india
    1 seat sauber (assuming sirotkin takes other seat)

If you believe the hype then maldonado and hulk will take two of these leaving perez, PDR and sutil at risk of not having a drive

I have got a feeling we may sadly lose PDR

1. PeteC says:

Not sadly IMO. I think PDR is overrated.
      Another rumour going around was Max Chilton to FI. :-O

1. Christos Pallis says:

Why? Why why why???

2. Random 79 says:

Money! Money money money!!!

3. Christos Pallis says:

Has Max impressed anyone? Surely Jules has the reputation of the caterham / marussia drivers!

2. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

Force India should wait till the season ends, see who is left unsigned, and host a ticketed event where Di Resta, Sutil, Perez, Hulkenberg Chilton and a few rookies all go for it. The pay drivers with cash have to pay to enter.

Have a day’s racing, a qualifying run, a long run, then a race between each other.

Then di Resta and Hulkenberg will rightfully win their seats.

In all seriousness though, why would Vijay risk announcing any of his existing drivers do not have a seat right now? Now, when they are still fighting a faster Sauber for cash from the Constructors Championship positions.

1. Grant H says:

Great idea!

24. Dave says:

So McLaren give Sergio a pants car, which is so bad it’s the first season since 1980 they fail to score a single podium… And they dump Perez ? Shouldn’t they dump the guy who designed the car?

1. Major Clod says:

Hasn’t the guy who designed the car jumped to Mercedes already?!

2. Doug says:

They would have done…but he’d already left and gone to Mercedes! :-)

3. Random 79 says:

What exactly is a “pants” car?

25. Lukee says:

Shame on Mclaren ,see why Hamilton felt the need to leave. Jenson button is a protected species

1. 0z1 says:

A Tortoise i think……

2. Rob Newman says:

Jenson’s time will come … soon!

1. Random 79 says:

Jenson’s time came four years ago. I’m not saying he’ll never win again, but I’m certainly not saying that he will.

3. MISTER says:

They let go the weakest driver, and that is Perez from this year’s performance. I don’t know what you have against Jenson. He matched Lewis pretty good.

1. Lukee says:

We both know that’s a lie! Have you heard of the Hamilton factor that the commentators talk about? I don’t here anyone saying the button factor.

2. MISTER says:

I am looking at the results, not what the commentators say. I said Jenson matched Lewis and the results back my statement.

In the 3 years at McLaren, Jenson had 672 points, while Lewis had 657.

Points and result speak louder than opinions.

3. Grant H says:

I would say jenson did a very good job vs lewis, but I think points does tell the whole story, qually pace with JB is not as strong and lewis could have won 2012 title if it were not for a series of reliability and pit stop problems, also JB is always the first to cry like a baby when he feels the rear of the car is not planted, i always felt lewis could drag an underperforming car further up the grid

4. MISTER says:

I think you are over-reacting when you say Jenson was “crying like a baby”.
        I’m no fan of Jenson, but I don’t dislike him either. Drivers look for the perfect car all the time. Nothing wrong with that. I think that having a car sliding all over the place and not saying anything to your engineers is worst than doing it. Engineers need driver feedback on top of all the data they get.

And you can’t say that Lewis had reliability problems..everybody has. Lewis might’ve have a bit more than Jenson, especially when leading, and that was a big shame, but still, Jenson was not far behind and actually, over the 3 seasons, Jenson leads by 15 points.

4. Doug says:

If Perez had scored nearly twice as many points as JB, it would have been Button saying goodbye.
      F1 is pretty ruthless.

26. deancassady says:

Well, he got a chance; still probably better than it would have been at Sauber (with two Mexicans?!?)
    I’m hoping that if money is still an issue at Lotus, (so they can’t get Hulkenberg), Lotus take Perez over Maldonado.

I was a big booster of Perez at the start of the year, but he made a lot of moves which forced other drivers to yield or be in an accident; which I don’t normally like.
    Nonetheless, I believe he is still better than many on the grid, and still has potential for the top step.
    Hoping Checko drives with Lotus next year.

1. KRB says:

Before the season kicked off, if I was picking the one most likely to score a maiden win, it would’ve been Perez, followed by Grosjean and Hulk. F1 can be topsy-turvy like that sometimes.

27. Duncan says:

Does the lack of announcement re: Magnusson mean other drivers are still in the picture? Hulkenburg?

1. Stephen Taylor says:

I wouldn’t say so.

28. Matt says:

I wish Perez all of the best and hope he finds a team that truly appreciates his efforts. He had a terrible car this year at McLaren. Even Button being a former champion couldn’t do much with it. I feel Perez fell into McLaren at a time of major confusion and was hampered by poor leadership at all levels.

29. Keith says:

Is it really a sure thing about Magnussen? Wonder if they are actually talking to Hulk or Mald.

1. Stephen Taylor says:

Hulkenberg possibly , Maldonado not I would suspect.

30. Et says:

Button has:

1. Ten years more F1 experience than Checo
    2. Four more Mclaren years experience than Checo.
    3. Is a World Champion.

Yet he only beat Checo by 1.7 points per race in his first year with the team.

Such a stupid move by Mclaren.

1. Doug says:

Yes it doesn’t sound impressive when put like that…shows what a poor car it is. Most of the season JB’s outscored him by over 50% and has been quicker in races.

He had to go.

31. JustGuessing says:

Somewhere along the line McLaren lost the thread over the past couple of years and not only on their wheel nuts.

1. Christos Pallis says:

Feel like that needs a “boom boom”

32. Lachlan Mackinnon says:

I wonder what is the key element that has changed from the time of signing Perez to this decision. Yes Button has outscored him this year but you would expect that from a world champion and his experience up against someone who has two years of racing in F1.
    Does it simply come down to the numbers behind the scene that we don’t see that shows Magnussen to have much more potential than Perez??
    A ruthless business – 12 months for a 23 old to come into McLaren, in a dog car mind you, and prove yourself and then be shown the door……

1. Kirk says:

What I think is that McLaren was expecting a future champion, and Perez doesn’t look like that right now, we are in a time were Alonso was the youngest champion ever, then Hamilton almost got the WDC in his rookie year, then Vettel took that record from Alonso and has 4 WDC at 26!. Perez is not bad but also needs to be more mature, first of all recognize his errors and not blame other drivers, marshals and his team and also learn from those errors.

33. Thomas in Adelaide says:

People who should be nervous:

Paul Di resta
    Adrian Sutil

People who deserve to be nervous but probably aren’t:

Martin Whitmarsh
    Sam Michael

1. Mike Martin says:

LMAO great! Allow me to add to that list.

People who should be nervous:

Paul Di resta
      Adrian Sutil
      Alonso – a feisty teammate next year
      Button – Again a crap car 100% made for him
      Maldonado – Home country economy is bad, F1 not a priority.
      Hulkenberg – great driver but to heavy for F1 next year.

People who deserve to be nervous but probably aren’t:

Martin Whitmarsh
      Sam Michael
      Vettel – Lewis will be 2014 WDC
      Vergne – You do not get many years at Rosso, young talent knocking at door.
      Ron Dennis – His legacy in the [mod] and long Honda crap car earth days ahead

1. thinktank says:

People who are nervous:
        Gerard Lopez, Eric Boullier, Alan Permane (lack of money)
        Frank Williams (lack of results)
        Peter Sauber (lack of money)

People who deserve to be nervous but probably aren’t:
        Claire Williams
        Lewis, cause he will not be 2014 WDC (and he will be beaten by teammate)
        Sebastian Vettel, cause he will not be 2014 WDC
        Kimi Raikkonen (hospital and rehabilitation – no girls, parties, vodka or racing but still you can find a fine nurse)

2. Random 79 says:

“Lewis, cause he will not be 2014 WDC”
        “Sebastian Vettel, cause he will not be 2014 WDC”

So who will be 2014 WDC? No, on second thoughts don’t us – we don’t want any spoilers… ;)

2. Omniprescient says:

Sam Michael is a certain nemesis in F1. Seriously, check his employment record and his employers’ record. Who is next in line to hire him?

1. Ange says:

Actually, I think that when Martin Whitmarsh defended him after the numerous 2012 pit stop blunders, he mentioned he sees his as a potential successor…
        Yes, we are now talking about the end of McLaren!

34. John in SD says:

Mixed feelings. He deserves another go, but McLaren is looking for the next big star. It was tough for him in the 2013 car. Wrong place wrong time .

1. Wellbalanced says:

Given the rubbish car he was given to drive, you kind if feel it’s all a bit rich from McLaren

35. Torchwood Five says:

I have been a fan of Formula One since possibly the James Hunt days, and despite the various sources referring to it as ruthless, and ‘the Piranha Club’, I haven’t felt that way about it.

Something in the last three days of driver movements, quite possibly the Perez situation with MacLaren, but I cannot say for certain, has finally hammered the point home.

Yeah. Frag. F1 is ruthless.

36. BigHaydo says:

Boy, there have been some strange decisions made in F1 circles of late.

With McLaren replacing Perez with a rookie, suddenly the Vettel-Ricciardo pairing is looking a lot stronger!

Not to mention Alonso and Raikkonen and Hamilton and Rosberg

1. Christos Pallis says:

Well that depends on weather or not Ferrari have been investing in a Pizza Hut style icecream factory in Kimi’s side of the garage.

KR – “it’s not giving me icecream when I press the button”

SD – “Kimi if you win the race I’ll plug it in”

KR – “with sprinkles?”

SD – “if you do the press conference, yes with sprinkles!”

37. German Samurai says:

Do the likes of Whitmarsh and Sam Michael actually watch the races or are they too busy throughout the race weekend?

Perez is basically as quick as Button right now. Yes, Button was better at the start of the season. You could even make the case that Perez is now quicker than Button, and he’ll be stronger next season with more experience.

Button has one pole in four seasons at McLaren! This is a car that was good enough to win the championship in 2010 and 2012 and good enough to win races from 2010-12. Most of his race wins at McLaren have been opportunistic, not won on extracting raw pace from the car like Hamilton was able to do.

If you want to make Button an experienced second driver like Mark Webber that’s fine, but to lead a championship campaign with Button is madness.

I’m staggered by how people in F1 can be so results oriented in their decision making and be unable to put performances in the right context.

1. iceman says:

Apparently the data shows that Perez was 23 seconds slower than Button at the last race:

1. German Samurai says:

McLaren’s interpretation of the data would say that wouldn’t it?

Head to head in qualifying they’re 9-8 and Perez was a mediocre qualifier at Sauber. Perez started slow too. Two races ago he finished 5th in India ahead of Hamilton in 6th! Often when he’s finished behind Button it’s been only by several seconds.

I don’t think you can win a championship in 2014 with Perez, but you can’t win one with Button either unless you give him a huge advantage like he had in the first half of 2009.

It smacks of Alonso moving in 2015 to McLaren. They aren’t confident of keeping Perez beyond next season and definitely won’t keep Button after 2014, so they’re putting in someone that might take a few years to develop and the team can use as a yardstick against Alonso.

2. Anil says:

They aren’t results orientated; they have detailed data showing Sergio’s pace and don’t believe he’s worth the investment. Ferrari thought the same about Perez last year yet everyone laughed at LdM for saying it.

Mclaren value Jenson because of his feedback and his experience which will be immensely important next year. But they know that if they have him they also need someone who is a top tier driver (Alonso, Seb, Lewis etc) and clearly they feel Magnussen could become that driver, whereas Perez certainly won’t be.

1. German Samurai says:

But how good can Button’s input to the engineers be good if this was the worst McLaren car in at least 15 years, and not only that but development has almost stalled throughout this season. Look at Sauber with their tiny budget. They have improved as the soon has progressed.

I highly doubt Button was 23 seconds faster in Abu Dhabi. Let’s say he was, Perez comprehensively beat Button in the race before that in India and I think was running in 4th when his tyre disintegrated in Korea. What does that say about Button if Perez has been having those performances as of late?

38. jmv says:

Shame for the squandering of such a talented driver. Not sure where things went wrong.

First: since he was announced in 2012, he had mediocre performances.

Second: in his first races he was relatively on the pace but there was MW immediately “interfering” in the press stating that they want him to be more aggressive.

Third: then he became aggressive and drove a amusing race in Bahrain, but after was immediately whistled back by his team mate and management.

These last two events must have shaken his confidence and his sense of his place within McLaren.

Surely Jenson buddying up with MW is not helping things.

And then there was an awful car that didn’t allow him to show his goods.

All in all, my feeling is that all of this could have been handled better by McLaren.

But Perez also looked too “lost” and “timid” within the McLaren environment.

39. Ali says:

Alonso in the other mclaren.

Mclaren can pull a games hunt on us

40. Ali says:

Fernando to McLaren in 2014. just a hunch

41. Spoo says:

Good. Add one more driver searching for a seat for the next year.

This makes it

Paul DiRiesta (Faster than Vettel;)
    Adrian Sutil (Mallyas lil bitch)
    Pastor Maldonado (Money bulldozer)
    Nico Hulkenberg (Worst managers ever)
    Sergio Perez (Telmexican)
    Esteban Gutierrez (???)

All fighting for a Lotus, 2 Force India and a Sauber seat.

Could Macca and MW surprise us with a coup by signing up Hulkenberg (He isn’t much heavier than Button) albeit a year too late. MW would be effectively owning up to his mistake as it was actually he who put his neck out to sign Perez WITHOUT following the standard tests and procedures that Macca has for all new signings.

@James – I beleive that if a thing gets repeated often enough and convincingly then it might just come to pass. Can we please start a HULK to McLaren rumour.

1. Christos Pallis says:

I really laughed at your driver summaries, spot on! I see the following happening:
      Hulk will stay at sauber (lotus don’t have the money) and Ferrari might loose Alonso after next season.
      Maldonado could “with PDVSA money” end up at lotus
      PDR should stay at FI (faster than Vettel line is dubious, yes I know he beat him in an earlier series but that’s a bold statement to make)
      Sutil should just go away he’s average next to Hulk & PDR & even Perez
      Perez should land FI with Slim funding or Hulk at FI and Perez at Sauber.

42. nickb says:

Just throwing it out there, but could this be an opening for Maldonado and PDVSA as a new title sponsor? He’s currently without a drive (and isn’t being very vocal about it; does he already know he’s got the Lotus drive?) and Whitmarsh seems to be delaying the new title sponsor announcement. I hope not, I’m just saying – is it possible? And I think someone on here suggested that the PDVSA cash is getting reduced anyway.

43. nickb says:

I feel a bit bad for Perez here, because it wasn’t the greatest signing my McClaren in the first place and all they’ve done is realised their mistake; Perez is a 2nd tier driver at best. I’m mostly worried about who we’re going to be watching in a few years time; There’ll be no Alonso, Raikkonen, Button or Webber so is it basically a straight-up race between Hamilton and Vettel? I just don’t see where the top notch talent is coming from with all this pay driver stuff.

As far as I see, these are the classes:
    1st tier:
    Alonso
    Hamilton
    Raikkonen
    Vettel

2nd tier:
    Webber
    Button

Probably 2nd tier:
    Hulkenberg (potential to be top tier?)
    Grosjean (just about got into the 2nd tier now?)
    Rosberg
    maybe Di Resta on a good day?

And the rest have varying levels of skill between them (some, like Bottas and Bianchi probably have more potential than others).

But who’s going to step up to the top tier in 5 years’ time? Or will we all be watching Formula E by then? What do you guys think?

1. Christos Pallis says:

Okay agree about your top tier as most in the F1 know would… Best 4 drivers who have consistently proved their speed and worth.

Second tier?!?! I’m agreeing that MW & JB are second tier but I think a few more belong there too
      Hulk – potential to be top tier, please give him a top team slot
      Grosjean – has the speed and consistency, driver awareness is coming – potential to be a top tier
      PDR – hard to say – he seems consistently fast but the team make a lot of mistakes
      Jules Bianchi – I’m impressed – needs to go to mid field team to show his true pace
      Ricciardo – excited to see next year
      Rosberg – will always be a no 2 driver – no potential to be top tier but deffo a solid tier 2
      Perez – tough year – did not embarrass himself McLaren could have ended his career and we will never know, I know they have all the data but it seems like a harsh dumping late in the silly season

2. Fireman says:

Interesting ranking. It’s difficult to know exactly how good some drivers are until they drive in a top team with a good car.

I hope Bottas will push himself towards the top tier. He’s very determined. More Niceman than Iceman though, like Heikki.

I would also keep an eye on Rosberg. He’s starting to get it right.

44. AJAY says:

I am a sad Maclaren fan. My suspicions are that both JB and Perez were vulnerable- If I recall neither of them had signed when they had expected to several races back. I even recall the interview that JB gave on Sky where he was sort of joking around about it. The whole situation smacks of desperation, there is absolutely no need to push Perez out of the door as far as we can see. Is Magnessun really that good? I bet if the Slim money had been forthcoming then it would have been JB out the door. It also does not make much long term sense if they really have an expectation to sign Alonso again- would he really like to go against an LH clone as then it would be JB who would be pushed out for Alonso in 2015? JB would I have no doubt be the ideal no 2 for him, thats how I see JB, he is the best no 2 driver for a top team. IMO its not his fault that Perez got the boot. Maybe thats it, they see Alonso and Button as the best pairing for 2015, and see taking a long shot on Magnesson in 2014 as a gamble worth taking?

45. Rob Newman says:

McLaren has handled this very badly. They should have waited until the end of season to confirm their 2014 drivers. This is not good for the team.

On the eve of the US Grand Prix in Austin, where half the crowd are Mexicans!

Only in F1….

1. Robert says:

While waiting until the end of the season might have been better PR, It would have stitched Perez up, at least now he has a [Slim] chance of finding another drive somewhere else.

2. Fireman says:

Oh, Robert. Now we’re pun brothers :D

3. Sarvar says:

I sometimes wonder that PR Dept of some teams is of engineering background as well.

4. Fireman says:

Then again there are still seats left, so there’s Slim hope of driving next year. Might not be so when the season ends.

2. L.B says:

Better late than even later…this gives Perez a chance at a seat at another team.

3. Truth or Lies says:

Very badly managed by McLaren, Martin Whitmarsh hasn’t got a clue.

This is another dysfunctional organisation. I mean who gave the go ahead for a radical new car for 2013 instead of developing the fastest 2012 car and all this 12 months from the biggest rule changes in years.

If some of these organisations had to survive in the real world they’d be bankrupt years ago.

I feel sorry for Perez, ok maybe he’s not the greatest driver of his generation, but he’s a young man with reasonable talent who’s been treated very poorly by his employer and he’s now facing a very uncertain professional future.

46. bearforce says:

Perez wasn’t bad but he wasn’t good either.

I never understood Mclaren taking him.

47. Fireman says:

Good riddance. If it’s true that Perez’s relationship with Slim has broken, we probably wont see him at F1 next season.

I hope Maldonado is out of the picture too. Grosjean is the only one of these guys who stopped harpooning and started racing.

48. Andrew says:

James any news on who will be the main sponsor Mclaren next year? I have heard Vodafone are pulling out next year… can’t imagine there will be much in the way of Mexican sponsors now.

I’m not sure they have one yet.

Honda in 2015 will put in a lot of money as well as engines

49. Eff1osaurus says:

On one hand you gotta feel for the kid – he’s 23 years old! On the other, he knew what he’d signed up for when he joined Mclaren. They’re a tough bunch and it was expected of him to perform…LDM’s comment is jsutified it seems

However, although the Macca is a dog, we wonders if either Button or Perez really got the best out of the car. Perez was in good positions in a nummber of races but mucked it up having incidents and penalties. The kid’s a racer for sure, but maybe not as polished yet as one would want in a (supposedly) top flight team. Hope he gets a drive next year…with Telmwx money it may just happen…i’d rather have him in my car than Maldonando, for sure…and with another year or two who knows…

Martin Whitmarsh best be on top of his game next year, Mclaren cannot afford another season like this for at least…uuuum, 33 years again?

Really hope they don’t go the way of Williams…

Button…hmm…hard to tell. Great some days (witness Canada!), junk on others…and almost cracked under pressure in 2009 – Vettel came oh so close to mugging the title off him…

50. Rach says:

I really feel for Perez he was clearly raw but he was just starting to get things together. Then they fire him but keep pretty boy who really is just a safe pair of hands nothing more nothing less. If they get Hulk then this may make some sense but otherwise I struggle to see the logic.

51. Chris says:

I’m pretty sure that Whitmarsh said he wasn’t looking at Hulkenberg because of the weight issue. Maybe the fact that he also took Hamilton out at Brazil last year may explain why Whitmarsh might not like him.
    It all depends on this Lotus investment by Quantum, if it goes through then Hulkenberg is by far the preferred option, if not it’ll be Maldonado.
    I think Eddie Jordan might have been right in saying that Hulkenberg might be going back to Force India, especially after Di Resta’s crashing streak. I also don’t think Di Resta is the nicest person in the world from all his criticism of the team (eg Monaco)
    I could easily see Maldonado at Sauber next year if he doesn’t get the Lotus drive, but I don’t know where Perez could go. Indycar wouldn’t surprise me.
    This is a rather crazy ‘silly season’ this year though

1. Random 79 says:

The Quantum deal is toast.

Maldonado will go to Lotus and (hopefully) Hulk will go back to FI.

52. Jason says:

The timing is quite frankly awful. You’d have to ask why they chose now rather either after the race or announce it weeks ago. Not sure Perez has much chance of a drive now. Saying that, he didn’t exactly blow me away at Sauber.

Hulk has to be top of the shopping list. If you had to pick between Maldonaldo, Sutil, Di Resta and Perez, it is not looking great for some of them. Maldonaldo is seriously rapid but has not blown Bottas away. I rate Bottas very very highly. I have visions of Pastor with Grosjean at Lotus. On track battles between those two would be nail biting stuff and probably expensive for the team.

Sutil is just ordinary and nothing outstanding in F1. Di Resta is the most overrated driver in F1. He’s so arrogant, always blaming others and refers back to a time he beat Vettel as if it has relevance. I once could beat Usain Bolt in a race. He wasn’t two years old but that is besides the point right?

Up against Sutil and Di Resta, Perez has a chance. Then again we’ve seen Kovi, Kobayashi, Buemi and Jaime all kicked out. I can’t forget Glock either, that guy was awesome.

I am also not sure why McLaren keep putting faith in Whitmarsh and Button. Button is a wonderful cautious and consistent driver when the car is spot on but at all other times, he is woeful. Sure he has a world title but all he had to do was beat Rubens who let’s face it was not the fastest guy around. Button made hard work of that title too and was lucky he had such a huge lead.

His stock was raised when he matched Lewis but let’s face it, he matched Lewis because Lewis was forever involved with tangles which happens when you actually try to overtake rather than sit behind someone and moan about understeer. Whitmarsh won’t fire Button though and since Whitmarsh cannot ever be fired, it may well be a dire few years for McLaren. Maybe Honda has an ace up its sleeve.

Lastly, nice site James. I have followed this site since the launch and never commented. I love the podcasts and am glad you keep us all up to speed and in the know about F1.

Thanks! Tell your friends!

1. Random 79 says:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up; it took him five years to get this far ;)

2. Jason says:

Haha my friends know :) Like me they all lurk. Lurking is the first choice these days on most F1 sites because as you’ll no doubt have seen on the other F1 sites, trolls and fan boys mess it up. Glad it is civilised here :)

2. Random 79 says:

“On track battles between those two would be nail biting stuff and probably expensive for the team”

“I once could beat Usain Bolt in a race”

Nice :)

I think you’ve pretty much summed up where everyone’s at at the moment, and what’s more I think you’re mostly right.

1. Jason says:

We could all beat Usain once upon a time. Right up until the point he was about two and learned to walk!!

Grosjean vs Pastor would be epic on track. The crash kid in each would emerge, safety cars galore and finally Vettel backed into the pack.

53. Rafael says:

During last year when McLaren announced they’ve signed him, I always thought the decision was inspired – that he’d turn out to be another Raikkonen (outstanding in a Sauber, impeccable in a McLaren). Oh wel…

54. John Bond says:

Perez never got the support that he needed from McLaren. He was first encouraged to drive like a mad man and then he was kicked out for driving the way they told him to.

55. MichaelG says:

I feel bad for Perez. He never seemed totally at ease at McLaren and McLaren (i.e. Whitmarsh) seemed ill at ease with their decision quite early in the season.

I think it was a mismatch of expectations. McLaren didn’t want to develop the young driver they signed, but wanted him to turn himself into a different sort of driver. Whitmarsh’s statements that “Checo needs to get his elbows out,” just led Perez to drive aggressively and desperately, e.g. Monaco, etc.

I think McLaren had a talented young driver whom they could have developed, but were trying to turn him into something he inherently wasn’t. (The absolute pig of a car that’s this year’s McLaren didn’t help).

If they were unhappy with him, they should have done something sooner. They didn’t have to hose him so badly by dropping him now when he has very limited chances for a seat next year. That’s like something you’d do to a driver you hate.

56. Alexx says:

In F1 for Perez,

it really is a driver is only as good as their last race!

57. zx6dude says:

You really have to question McLaren’s decisions over the last year…

58. Andrew says:

What a difference a year makes!! This time last year…

Mclaren had the fastest car! Perez was looking like he got his dream ticket in driving for them and Alonso was right up there battling Vettel for the title… ah memories!

59. Tyler says:

Personally all that comes to my mind with this news is c ya! Kobayashi should have been promoted out of Sauber not Perez. Dumb decision in the first place.

60. Tornillo Amarillo says:

Why some people say PEREZ was arrogant?
    When Checo said something about himself that it’s not true?
    He was driven an horrible machine, that McLaren, the worst ever, and he was a valuable three-podium finisher for Sauber last year.
    Was not McLaren arrogant to let HAMILTON go, thinking he would never quit his almost eternal team? So they hire the star of the moment, Checo PEREZ, they redo a winning car for getting the worst possible McLaren and now they showed the boot to the most espectacular over everybody Champion-on-paper ever… OK.