Tous Avec Jules #17
Sochi 2014
Russian Grand Prix
Announcing the new JA on F1 2013 book – “Winning at all costs”
XPB.cc
Posted By: James Allen  |  15 Nov 2013   |  3:09 pm GMT  |  96 comments

We are delighted to launch the JA on F1 2013 year book, which is now available to pre-order from today. The book, now in its fifth year of publication, is a firm favourite with fans all over the world, as it provides insight and analysis on the news stories that shaped the season.

The book features a mixture of original posts from the JA on F1 website, plus extensive new material looking back on trends and developments during the year.

Produced in a limited number, which has sold out every year so far, it is intended as a cool collectable, as well as an at a glance record of all the goings on in a dramatic season of F1.

It is a large format paperback, with a Foreword by David Coulthard and featuring stunning photography from Darren Heath. It retails at £10-99. Every copy ordered through this site will be personally signed by me. Copies will be despatched on December 7th in plenty of time for Christmas.

To order yours and be sure of getting a copy click on this link: JA on F1 2013 Book

The 2013 season started out with much hope and expectation as Kimi Raikkonen won the opener in Melbourne, Fernando Alonso won twice early on and Nico Rosberg scored two impressive wins for Mercedes. But Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull came through again to take a stranglehold on the championship from the late summer onwards.

But Vettel’s success came at a price – his win at all costs attitude to the Malaysian Grand Prix led to him being booed by fans on podiums around the world.

The behind the scenes stories from the soap opera of F1 life were as fascinating as ever: we chronicle the goings on behind the scenes at Mercedes that saw Ross Brawn being eased out, despite his controversial masterstroke in organising a tyre test with Pirelli in May, which had his rivals up in arms.

We cover the chaos at Lotus as Raikkonen missed the final races, revealing he had not been paid, the volatility in the driver market as Perez was dumped by McLaren, Massa by Ferrari and Nico Hulkenberg tried desperately to find an opportunity with a top team.

There is plenty of thoughtful analysis on all areas of the sport.
We explain how Red Bull and Vettel developed and mastered the car is told here, as is the story behind Ferrari’s failure to develop its car.

Pirelli was at the centre of a number of dramas this season; some tyre failures early on hinted at problems, but when Pirelli tried to change the tyres for 2012 constructions, the move was blocked by the teams who were going well on them. Then after the spectacular tyre failures at Silverstone in June, a change was forced through and this handed Red Bull an advantage, as their car needed the extra stiffness the revised tyres gave.

The book is stocked full of goodies: We’ve got Murray Walker’s 90th birthday interview, Mark Gillan’s brilliant analysis of Kevin Magnussen’s Silverstone Young Driver test and his invaluable insights throughout the season.

To order yours and to be sure of getting a copy click on this link: JA on F1 2013 Book

Tags:
  1. Sebee says:

You’re always kind allowing space for fans with various opinions on your site and your data manager knows you’ve allowed me and other fans here pleny of room to express our thoughts no matter how wild.

On the title of the book, I have to say, “Winning at all costs” has a bit of a negative ring to it. As if ethics were compromized or laws or rules broken – of course we know by who. Instead of celebrating what is really a rare event in F1, a 4 Time WDC winner, and in this case first time that it’s been done in sucession.

I also think that this whole Malaysia thing is like dragging a dead cat out. It’s so long ago, the boy had killer instinct to go for the win and keep racing against team orders – something we really should celebrate. It turns out that it made no difference anyway to the outcome of the WDC. To sum up an entire season with that one act is not telling the whole story.

That’s my 2 cents. Thanks.

1. AndyFov says:

Seb’s actions in Malaysia showed his insatiable appetite for success, but in terms of being indicative of an “at all costs” mindset, was it as bad as Fernando ruining Lewis’s final qualification run in Hungary? Or instigating Crashgate? Or Michael parking on the racing line in Monaco? I personally don’t think it comes close.

This year has been more about flawlessness and hard earnt supremacy in my opinion. Red Bull and Vettel are simply getting everything right.

I’ll get my copy ordered regardless!

There is a play on words in there too, given RBR’s stance on cost control and the RRA…

2. AndyFov says:

Ah, right. I missed that, that fits well. Thanks.

You can always use “Losing at all costs” if you ever write a book about Toyota’s spell in F1. :)

3. Glennb says:

Nice recovery James ;)

4. David C says:

Dose that not give the perception that RBR have the biggest budget in f1? I thought Merc and Ferrari still had bigger budgets? Regardless I can’t wait to unwrap mine Xmas morning!! I don’t suppose you have a copy of the 2011 book lying around unsold.

5. Andrew M says:

My top 5 list of unsporting F1 actions:

1. Schumi taking Damon out in Adelaide 1994
        2. Schumi parking on the racing line at Monaco 2006
        3. Multi 21
        4. Schumi tries to take out Villeneuve at Jerez (but fails hahaha)
        5. Alonso blocks Lewis in Hungary 2007

6. Sebee says:

You are so way off base it’s not even funny.

First, #1 should be Crashgate. That’s right, Alonso is in on the worse indiscretion in F1. Not to mention most damaging and 100% illegal. Disgusting.

Secong Multi21, what Vettel did was fully legal and according to rules. And if you think Webber turned down his engine, you better first check your facts, then email Christian requesting Webber’s telemetry.

7. Glennb says:

I hope Senna and Prost make it to your top 10 ;)

8. Miha Bevc says:

Senna takes Prost out in Suzuka?
        How is overtaking on the track (multi 21) worse than Schumi taking out Villeneuve and Alonso blocking his team mate in the pits?

9. KRB says:

No way Multi-21 gets in that list. Ahead of Schumi-Villeneuve at Jerez?!?! It was so clear what Schumi was up to there, that he was expelled from the whole competition!

I think that’s the worst one of all time. It had some premeditation to it. Adelaide ’94 did as well, but not as much.

Prost closing the door at Suzuka ’89 is another one, compounded by the shady machinations after the race.

10. CerinoDevoti says:

@ Andrew M
        I would put Lewis Hamilton lying under direct questioning from the race Stewards at near or top of the list. An unsporting action taken off track not under the heat of competition at the first race of the season. All the above happened on track under the gun. Lewis had plenty of time to think different of his decision but did it anyway.

11. Andrew M says:

@Sebee – Crashgate was a nothing as far as I’m concerned, maybe it was the fact that the world moved on by leaps and bounds by the time it was “revealed” but I could never get emotionally involved in it. And needless to say, if there was any evidence of Teflonso being involved he would have hanged as well.

With regards to what Vettel doing being legal, I’ve never used what other people say is legal or illegal when judging whether I think it’s acceptable. It was a low, base act of a villain, and it will take more than a few doughnuts for me to get back on his side.

@Glennb I was too young when Senna/Prost were in their heyday to be personally effected by it. Looking back, the fact that there was a history and rivalry between them and they both gave as good as they got reduces he impact in my eyes.

@ the only reason I ranked Schumacher vs Villeneuve so low was because he didn’t succeed and publicly tarnished his reputation.

Alonso acted pretty badly, but what a lot of people forget is that Hamilton wasn’t blameless in the whole issue – he was ordered by the team to let Alonso through and he didn’t. Alonso was to some extent redressing the balance, although in my opinion overstepped he mark. Vettel screwed over his teammate, lied by pretended he didn’t hear the order, then apologised, then completely backtracked when he got protection from the team as usual.

12. fan says:

Senna and Prost deliberately crossing into reach other or crash gate was somehow not at least equal to the horrors of multi 21?

13. David C says:

I think crash gate is the worst too. Why is it ok for senna to cause a crash to win a title and not MS? Also the only unsporting thing about crash gate was MW nearly putting SV into the wall.

14. Sebee says:

Andrew, Crashgate was nothing?!

Well, I can ignore your views henceforth.

Cheers.

15. Andrew M says:

@CerinoDevoti I agree, that was bad, and would make my top 10 I think. I don’t think it’s as bad as the above for two reasons (i) I do genuinely believe Lewis was misled by Dave Ryan, and wouldn’t have lied to the stewards under his own volition. (ii) Lewis frankly, openly and (in my opinion) honestly apologised for his actions in a very public way, none of the people in my top 5 have ever shown any remorse for what they did.

@fan as above

@David C – “Also the only unsporting thing about crash gate was MW nearly putting SV into the wall.” Care to elaborate? I don’t remember this at all, and can’t find any clips of it.

@Sebee how distressing :)

16. Sebee says:

KRB,

Schumi on Villleneuve is not as bad as Crashgate for following reasons.

It was for a bigger prize, not just a GP win.
        It was man taking it into his own hands, not top management asking others for repulsive acts.
        It was predetermined, but Crashgate was a huge plan by top team members.
        Attempted benefactor got punished, Alonso still has morning coffee next to the trophy.

17. David C says:

@andrew m, sorry man I made a mistake it was multi 21 where mark nearly put seb into the wall. Its on the pit straight and he leaves the same amount of space as MS left RB in Hungary. Anyway MW ignored team orders to attack SV at the British GP a few years ago so I guess there is a pair of them at it ………. as it should be. I love to see team mates race and in that Malaysian GP i was more disgusted by Mercs team orders. Enjoy the GP tonight!!!!

18. KRB says:

Sebee, what was the bigger prize involved in Crashgate? Schumi on Villeneuve was for the title!

Or are you saying Crashgate was worse b/c the stakes were lower?!? That b/c the stakes were so high in Jerez it somehow mitigates its Odious Sporting Moment quotient?

19. Sebee says:

KRB,

That’s why Schumi on Villeneuve was not as bad.
        First, it was worth the risk because it was for the title, not a petty GP win. Second Schumi took matters into his own hands, not wimped out to have someone do his dirty deeds. That in itself makes Schumi 3.5 times the man Alonso is. Also, he has 3.5x more titles :-) All that whimipy conspiracy and complexity and people doing everything to have Alonso take the win in the most illegal of ways is what is much more pathetic and disgusting in my view. As many have said, Schumi/Villeneuve was not the first time such thing was done as Senna Prost was mentioned repeatedly. One thing is for certain, it’s the last time.

20. KRB says:

Sebee, we’ll have to agree to disagree then. Schumi’s legacy will forever be tainted b/c of his various transgressions, 1994 and 1997 at the top of the heap. You will not be able to mention his successes w/o mentioning his darker side. And that’s b/c in both instances the spotlight on the sport was far greater … it was the title-deciding race in each case.

As for Alonso, it doesn’t smell good at all, but in the end, there is no smoking gun linking him to the crime. Maybe in subsequent decades someone will let all the secrets out, who knows.

21. Sebee says:

Agreed!

I wonder if there is a really succesful champion without a dark side. Who can get to the top without stepping onsome toes?

As for Alonso, he kept the trophy and the points as well as likely money paid by Renault for that win. That’s all the evidence I need. True F1 ambassador and champion would have given it all back, if for no other reason than to maintain the integrity of the sport that grants his lifestyle. Schumi gave up all his points in ’97! :-)

2. MISTER says:

It’s so long ago? Then why Christian Horner has recently brought this up by blaming Vettel’s competitors of encouraging the boos, especially Fernando Alonso.

Obviously this is still on RedBull’s mind and so it is on most of the fans that I talk to. Even thought the papers and articles on the web don’t cover this aspect for couple of weeks now, it’s still on people’s lips because we have a talented 4 time world champion that is not liked by the fans.

This is what Horner recently said:
      “It has been convenient for some of his rivals to treat him like that and they have encouraged it, whether that’s Fernando Alonso taking off his cap and throwing it in the crowd as soon as Sebastian talks on the podium to get a reaction.”

I am not sure at which race this happened, but in Singapore when Vettel was booed, Alonso still had his cap on its head when Martin Brundle nicely asked the crowd not to do that.

RedBull and especially Horner must be really stupid to throw this on Alonso now. Why would anyone want to do that? Throw the blame on someone else like that. I actually read or saw an interview with someone saying that Alonso threw his cap after the boos started to try and divert and change the boos into some cheering. Either way, shifting the blame to Alonso is pathetic. Why can’t RedBull admit they f**ked up in Malaysia. The difference between Ross Brawn and Christian Horner’s authority in that race was huge. Horner still can’t see this happened because his inability of controlling his drivers. Ross Brawn gave a perfect example of that.

1. Clarks4WheelDrift says:

Shifting the booing blame to Alonso is absolutely pathetic by Horner, though not as nearly as pathetic as … oh emm come on now Sebastian, this is silly, erm er …

Multi21 is a defining moment of the season, almost as defining as the tyre change.

I’ll have to disagree with Seebee’s “boy had killer instinct to go for the win and keep racing against team orders”. That would be valid for me if he came over the radio and said no multi21 tell Mark we are racing. He didn’t, he couldn’t get past Mark, bleated like a spoilt child ‘Mark is too slow get him out of the way’ when he hadn’t tried a move or got close enough. Then as we know, only when he knew Mark had been told back off, to turn it down did he pounce and Horner acted like a bumbling fool. Then there was a mess the week afterwards and Mark understandably quit the team. It was ‘silly’ as Seb didn’t need to do it to beat him.

For me is worse as it is more calculated, it’s easily up there with Schumi parking in Monaco qually.

2. KRB says:

Totally pathetic from Horner, and not the first time he’s come out with some truly pathetic comments. I remember him intimating that Hamilton had cut Vettel’s tire on purpose at Silverstone ’10, or veiled suggestions that Lewis stayed on track in Monza ’10 after breaking his suspension, to perhaps take out some opponents.

It’s easy to look dignified when everything’s going your way. It’s how you act when they aren’t that tells the true story.

3. Sebee says:

He’s just coming out to protect his driver, as he should really if you think about it. He knows media needs content. These games are part of the show, and fair game.

4. David C says:

So you are saying that Alonso dose not wave to the booing fans while Vettel is talking? Thats what Horner said and regardless of what other unrelated things you bring he is only speaking the truth. Now I dont think this makes Alonso a bad person and if thats what he wants to do its his perogative but you cant call Horner pathetic for stating a fact. However you can for your other grievances but they have nothing to do with this.

5. KRB says:

@Sebee, it could be Horner trying to act as lightning rod, sure. But it’s just an oddly-timed comment, seeing as the booing has stopped. Just comes off petty.

@David C, the action (Alonso waving) you’ve highlighted doesn’t allow one to conclude as to the intention (encouraging the booing) behind it. It’s neither a fact nor a truth. Occam’s razor is best used here … perhaps he was waving back at someone waving at him?

6. David C says:

@KBR, it was obvious what he was doing, he was smiling and waving to get a reaction from the crowd. I’m on my mobile now but if you google it you will see it. I think when you look back it will be pretty obvious. I like Alonso and while I think it’s a bit of bad form it’s certainly not nasty or malicious.

7. KRB says:

@David C, I don’t see how Alonso doing that encourages booing in any way, shape, or form. He shouldn’t be trying to take attention away from Seb when he’s talking on the mic. But that’s far different from encouraging booing (Horner’s accusation).

It’s a total guess as to Alonso’s intentions/motivations in doing that. So I will assume nothing … I’ve learned from being burnt many times before, that to ‘assume’ is to make an ‘ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me’.

8. David C says:

Well if you look at the footage you see that the booing starts then he laughed a bit and waves at which point the crowd reacts with louder booing, FA laughs and waves again while laughing. I’m not assuming I’m taking an educated guess. I mean it’s possible I’m wrong but it’s also possible that Merc has a faster car than RBR but their drivers are just a lot worse than the RBR pair both things possible but both unlikely.

3. Miha Bevc says:

I actually agree. I remember last year we also had discussions about title of the book and the fact that Hamilton was on the cover. James explained the title and his cover choice last year, maybe he will do the same this year. If we keep bugging him :)

4. dufus says:

Not to many people celebrating.
      Lots remembering and unlikely to forget.

1. Sebee says:

Are you still bitter about 1996? Let it go man…let it go! :-)

2. dufus says:

1996 ? Dont know what your on about.
        I do think the Vetel fans need to accept he is good but no hero. Win at all costs is definatelly in reference ro multi21 and James is selling a book
        All good :)

5. Sebee says:

Boy, I really should read some of my comments before I click SUBMIT. Especially the ones I write while having breakfast and not being fully awake yet. This one came across a bid pi$$y really. I fully blame that Valsecchi “Tragedy” comment for putting me in a cranky mood.

Go ahead guys, steam roll me on this one, I deserve it. I mean Vettel does win at all costs after all, and we do like that. And he is on the cover this year. What will it take to please these darn Vettel fans, right? :-)

1. fan says:

No I agree with the original comment. Its an unfair characterization of the season. Malaysia isn’t the story of 2013 – its RBRs utter domination and the ineptitude of their challengers

2. Sebee says:

How can I get this guy a book on me? I see paypal isn’t accepted for payment.

6. Balsac says:

It’s not that he “had killer instinct to go for the win” that fans have a problem with. It’s that he let mark think the fight was over and tricked him out of a 4 second lead. But it does not matter what anyone says about it to you but the fact is he has tarnished his title this year.

1. SteveS says:

“It’s that he let mark think the fight was over and tricked him out of a 4 second lead.”

That’s an outright lie, every part of it. Mark never thought “the fight was over” and he was not “tricked” out of the lead.

2. dufus says:

No your right, he was cheated.

3. Balsac says:

Ur kidding right.

4. Balsac says:

By the way I was a vettle fan but now I will boo him. in my opinion he is a poor champion. Maybe my parent just done to good of a job teaching me the difference between right and wrong.

5. Tyemz says:

”that’s an outright lie, every part of it. Mark never thought the fight was…”
        unless you were part of Mark’s thought process at that time or are a close confidante of his, you just accused a tell-it-as-it-is race driver and an innocent poster of lying, based, not on facts but because you chose to believe the lies Seb spewed on the podium at Sepang which couldn’t fool even a two year old. Well, we know who lied don’t we?

6. Veteran says:

Then watch some interviews with Sebastian Vettel and then decide what is wrong or right. Because of 1 race you decided he is wrong? Not many people left then on the grid for you to cheer on.
        Alonso certainly not… He has done much worse things.
        And booing is simply just so disrespectful. You by all means were not parented right… Otherwise they would have told you not to change by the direction of wind, not to judge after 1 tiny moment and not be disrespectful.

7. Joe B says:

Vettel still causes plenty of debate. Calling the book ‘Four for Four’ or whatever would be as simplistic as suggesting stats tell the whole story…

1. Sebee says:

But to judge him on Multi21 is ridiculous. Webber never turned down. It was a fair aggressive pass for P1. All that happened is Vettel told Horner that he knows what he is doing.

Imagine it was Grosjean in lead and Kimi in P2. Imagine Eric tells Kimi and Grosjean. ..Multi87, Multi87. And Kimi answers, Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing. Then makes the pass on Grosjean for P1.

You would all call Kimi a hero. True racer. The hypocrisy is repulsive!

2. Sebee says:

…and all probably because some fans have a soft spot for Webber.

3. Andrew M says:

“It was a fair aggressive pass for P1.”

Absolute nonsense. James wrote an article in depth about how Vettel was only in position due to the team giving him a favourable strategy to protect him from Hamilton. If the race had been allowed to play out as usual, Webber would have had a c. 8 second lead for the final stint. If Vettel had charged on, continually cut that lead over several laps and then overtaken Webber you could make an argument that Webber knew what was coming, but that’s not what happened at all.

4. Tyemz says:

“Webber never turned down”
        Come on Sebee let’s take that on face value. If Webber never turned down and stood on the podium in Sepang telling the whole world that he did, even reminding us that Seb would have protection from the team as usual, Vettel’s RedBull, or at least Marko would have taken the earliest opportunity to call him a liar and blame him for Multi 21 (there’s precedence in there).
        Remember When Horner was asked if Vettel turned down and he was dodgy about it, something to the effect that he believed he did (a team principal not being sure if his own driver turned down?), if he knew Mark didn’t turn down as well, he would have taken the easy way out by saying so instead of acting all dodgy and giving himself away.
        If Mark never turned down, Redbull wouldn’t have tried to save face by making Seb apologise (Yes we know Seb’s apology was all PR stuff)which he went back on 2 weeks later. Yes we are not in a position to know if Mark turned down or not but events of Multi 21 suggest that he did and just saying he didn’t may seem we are desperately trying to distort facts to make our champion look like a sportsman.

5. Sebee says:

All that is well and good Andrew. But it’s early in the season, and Vettel is going for fourth. Clearly the strategy move made sense to get Vettel up there.

Webber may have turned down for a second, but then turned back up without doubt.

Horner was between a rock and a hard place. We all know Vettel is #1 and team looks out for him. And clearly it is not a goal in 2013 to have Webber winning, as I said goal from day 1 was 4th for Vettel in 2013.

As for you Tyemz, Horner was between a rock and a hard place as I said. Side with Webber, his GP2 team co-owner, or with Vettel, his star. Whatever he said about Mark turning down was noncommittal PR stuff. If he said Mark didn’t turn down, he would hang him in the court of public opinion. And so…he left it open as if he doesn’t have the telemetry, right?

Fact is is the pass. It’s a hard fought pass, DRS and all, and not some hand me down – passing a turned down weakling pass. That’s all the evidence needed.

6. Joe B says:

@Sebee – Nothing heroic about cheating your teammate out of a deserved victory when he believes the fight is over, doesn’t matter which driver on the grid it is. And it’s certainly not the hallmark of a ‘true racer’. If Kimi, Hamilton, Alonso or anyone else did it, it would be equally reprehensible.

But anyway, Multi21 isn’t my sole point of reference in forming an opinion on Seb – I watch the races, have done for years. If I didn’t, then you could call me a hypocrite. As it is, you’re 0 for 2.

7. Sebee says:

Joe B

Deserved victory? Cheated with laps to go in the race? GP ends when checker flies. Until then, every man for himself. Not like Webber was always a team player either.

8. Spyros says:

The title works well because it could also be said to refer to how teams acted/reacted/didn’t act at all, in the ‘change/don’t change the tyres’ story. They work for us, leave them alone, Vs they’re not working, go back to the old ones… of course the blow-outs simplified the decision-making, but things could have easily been different.

No, I like the title, very much.

9. Andrew M says:

“As if ethics were compromized”

They were, Seb broke a long standing agreement with Mark and the team that in the case of a 1-2 after the final pitstops, the cars would hold station until the end.

“It’s so long ago”

It was this year, I think it has every right to be included in a season review.

“It turns out that it made no difference anyway to the outcome of the WDC”

That’s irrelevant, you judge actions on their own merits at the time, irrespective of subsequent events. If I steal £100 from a blind old lady I’m sure I’d be judged harshly for it and rightly so; it’s irrelevant that she wins the lottery the next day and it “made no difference”.

1. Sebee says:

It was a gentleman’s agreement, not a broken rule . While your example of £100 theft is braking a rule of law.

And for that reason it cannot paint the whole season.

2. Andrew M says:

“It was a gentleman’s agreement, not a broken rule .”

I know, I even said so in my post. Frankly, the fact that it was a personal agreement between two men that was broken makes it worse in my book.

“While your example of £100 theft is braking a rule of law.”

Not the point at all, the fact whether it was legal or illegal is irrelevant to the moral implications of judging the action in the long term.

“This is F1. They don’t give out winner’s trophy to participants. You want it, you earn it. You say team orders, I say break them at every chance you have. Like Webber did before. If you have the pace, they can stick those team orders where the sun don’t shine. I don’t watch on Sunday to see team orders.”

I don’t particularly like team orders either, but having been issued he should have followed them. The fact is that Mark had the race won, and the the only reason Vettel was in position to do what he did to Mark was because the team gave Vettel a favourable strategy to ensure a 1-2 (a fact that was gone into in a lot of detail on this very site). It was a betrayal of trust, plain and simple, of both Mark and the team. I think it’s important not just to “win at all costs”, but also how you win. Vettel proved in Malaysia that he is willing to lower himself significantly both professionally and personally in order to do that, and I find that unacceptable and, quite frankly, reprehensible.

3. Sebee says:

I agree that how you win is important. But at some point the gentleman stuff has to go out the window if we’re fighting for the big prize. Animal instinct comes out, there won’t be any gifts. That’s the point of this whole competition concept. Vettel had the killer instinct and went for the kill…I mean win. I won’t hold it against him. I would have done the same thing.

That would be a great pole, if you were Vettel would you do same thing?

4. David C says:

Mark did the same in the brittish GP

5. Andrew M says:

Wasn’t the same situation. (i) It wasn’t for a win (ii) Mark had a chance to chase down Alonso for the win if he got past Seb (iii) The title race was over (iv) Mark didn’t lie about it afterwards.

6. David C says:

What dose Alonso or a win have to do with anything? I read your reply where typing state that your problem is that SV broke a gentlemans agreement, well mark did the same. Also in your example if you don’t lie about stealing the 100 from the blind person are you free to walk away ……. Or if you only stole the 100 cause you had a chance to catch Alonso? If you like team orders yeah they are both wrong Im glad they both Ignored them as we got some good racing from two great drivers

2. Spyros says:

Excellent! I just ordered mine.

Honestly, this hasn’t been one of the classic F1 seasons, but this just means that when the racing is over, we can look back to plenty of intrigue… and the book ought to come handy for that!

1. David C says:

Tonight you just saw a new record for most wins in a row, that record is broken every half century or so …… not a classic??

1. Spyros says:

Interesting argument.

So if next year he wins ALL races, do you think that after Interlagos everyone will cry, because such a brilliant season is over?

2. David C says:

If he or any driver win all the races that would be pretty special. Of the last three years we saw it go down to the last race in two of those saesons with 4 possible winners in one year so it’s been a great few years and now we can see almost unheard of perfection by a driver which I think is a different type of exciting. He has been flawless in 8 races in a row where one mistake could end that run. I liked the season and althougI do prefer the closer seasons I wouldn’t call this year boring. I hope you enjoy the race on Sunday either way and maybe the weather will spice it up for you!!

3. Spyros says:

I see. I’m more out of touch with reality, it seems.

Oh well.

3. Miha Bevc says:

Ordered!
    Too bad for the cover though, it would be cool to have India donuts on the cover, but I guess mr. Heath wasn’t on the spot (?). Looking forward to reading it, I have full collection.

I have extra copy of 2011 book if someone wants to complete their collection :)

4. cometeF1 says:

Good sales’ pitch.What of the last two races? Will they be included in the book? Marc

1. Spyros says:

It will be out December the 7th… I don’t know what the lead times for books are like, but I would assume that there is time to put the finishing touches, after Brazil! We had the full story last year, after all, with stories that emerged after the dust (or was it the rain?) settled in Interlagos… remember the whole hoopla, about how Vettel might have overtaken someone in a yellow flag zone (he didn’t)?

5. Fan says:

No e-book version?

1. MISTER says:

James just said above this book is meant to be a collectible…

1. KRB says:

One cannot collect e-books?

2. fan says:

Collecting books – Thats so 1990s…

2. Rob Newman says:

For the benefit of illegal downloaders?

6. Matt W says:

I have to say I don’t like the title James. It seems very negative when the real story of the season was a record setting dominant year from a driver that will now be recognized as one of the greats.

7. Richard says:

I live in the Netherlands, is it possible to ship it to us folks?

Yes! We ship it all over the world!

8. James Nye says:

Hi James,

Could you arrange to sign my copy?

Many thanks

James

All books bought through this site are signed by me – JA

9. Mitchel says:

Well that’s me bought this little treat- £19.49 though: the joys of living in Norway are never-ending! (You can take the Scot out of Scotland, etc, etc :))

And bearing in mind it’s only a few quid more than I pay for an issue of F1 Racing :)

In a disappointing season, these compilations show all the stats and things for the true F1 fans. So I can’t wait for it!

10. Thompson says:

James quick question – is Ross Brawn definately leaving Mercedes – just asking as a story of that magnitude as had very little coverage….

Not even seeing anything on the net really.

They have thrown a blanket over the story and say that it’s up to Ross to decide what he wants to do. Paddy Lowe just reiterated that in the press conference.

1. KRB says:

Yeah, but what Paddy said makes it pretty plain that Ross will not be team principal next year. I think it’s a mistake on Mercedes’ part. I hope Paddy was talking for himself, and not for Mercedes.

11. Rob Newman says:

I am ordering this time because it has the winning car on the cover unlike the 2013 issue which I didn’t like.

I have to agree with Sebee on several points. Winning at all costs? I hope this is not a reference to Multi21. Winning at all cost is the Ferrari way – by playing dirty tricks.

It is time we put Multi21 to rest.

1. KRB says:

Are you admitting here to judging a book by its cover?! Lordy, lordy.

1. Sebee says:

KRB, you absolutely CAN judge a book by its cover. That is why books have them.

Example, Justin Bieber is on the cover, I walk right past that one. See bow it works? :-)

12. Scuderia McLaren says:

Personally I like the title. I am not a Seb fan or hater. But if I were Seb / RBR, I’d take it as a compliment.

13. Darren C says:

Another year of comments & reports that have helped me cut through the F1 spiel. Thank you & well done to james to start or co-ordinate conversations that inform & create some intrigue with out too much hype.

I was holding out for a classic, close season. But RBR dominated. I feel disappointed that the others can’t react. I correlate the road car / other technologies developments with the compromises in the F1 teams. But I suppose they must find revenue from somewhere to keep up with Red Bull. Problem is the commitment to win is diluted as shareholders expect a return. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

14. Tyemz says:

James, your book can’t be shipped to Nigeria? It’s not one of the destination countries listed on the shopping site.

Really? Email the distributors and ask them maybe?

directors@grandprixlegends.com

Thanks

1. Tyemz says:

Thanks James. Will do that ASAP

2. Glennb says:

Doesn’t seem to ship to Bishop Rock either. Darn…

15. Bruce says:

Good title choice in my view. And yes, I’m sure that’s a partial reference to Multi 21 and then Suzuka (switching strategies) and so on … Like his predecessor M Schumacher, I think Vettel will be respected by many, but loved by few.

16. Rishi says:

I guess more than anything it indicates how eventful the big picture of this season’s championship has been when the first thing the title evokes is something that happened back in Round 2. However in itself it’s not a bad title as I imagine one can use it to make a long-term analysis about how Vettel and Red Bull have achieved their success, which has undoubtedly been the key theme of the past four seasons. Additionally, many do feel (though not necessarily me) that multi 21 is mostly why Vettel was booed so much in the early autumn so it was an issue that, to an extent, had legs to it.

Incidentally, round this time of year I always wonder whether you’ve any plans to do a blog post on the Macau F3 race, James. It is said to be a real challenge and used to be seen as a great chance for young drivers to put themselves in the shop window for F1 teams. However in recent years its impact in context of F1 has appeared to diminish and that might shed light on changes in F1 teams’ scouting of young talent. This too has been a live issue in recent races with Red Bull (including Toro Rosso) and McLaren both promoting from within their young driver programmes in recent weeks.