Tous Avec Jules #17
Sochi 2014
Russian Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton: “Those extra few tenths..it’s why we get paid the big bucks”
XPB.cc
Posted By: Matt Meadows  |  06 Sep 2013   |  11:13 am GMT  |  83 comments

Following a fourth consecutive pole position at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa, Lewis Hamilton heads to Monza in high spirits at a track which has brought him success in the past.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Radio 5 Live, the Mercedes driver speaks candidly of the first year with his new team and how it felt stepping up on to the iconic Monza podium in front of the Tifosi, after winning the Italian Grand Prix in 2012.

Here are some of the answers. To hear the full interview, click here 5 Live F1 show, Monza

Does it seem like a year ago that you made the decision to make the switch from McLaren to Mercedes?

Lewis Hamilton: It feels like a really good year, a real positive since then. I loved it here last year and it was a great period of time in my career. When I look back it was cool, there was a lot of attention – people were on their toes waiting for me to make a decision – and of course when I had the good result here people naturally thought that swayed in the favour of me staying with McLaren. And I was able to sit back and knew it wasn’t swaying either way, it was just picking the right moment to make my decision.

After 6 years at McLaren you got used to their structure. How was it coming to Mercedes with different management staff? Were you weary, or very happy initially?

LH: It’s been a fantastic year. I get to work with Ross (Brawn), which is a real pleasure and an honour to work with someone who has achieved so much. It’s a slightly different feeling at the factory – it feels like NASA at the MTC. Whereas, at Brackley it feels more like a Formula Three team – a real pure racing team. It’s a different feeling but I quite like it.

At the beginning of this year your expectations were well and truly under control in terms of what you might achieve this year. And yet week after week we find ourselves talking about you fighting for pole positions. It has obviously gone a lot better than you’d expected, so do you feel you are on a growing wave with Mercedes, as they also look strong heading in to the new technical rules in 2014?

LH: I’m not actually a great surfer! I tend to get up on a high wave and then fall off so must watch what I say. But I hope this wave lasts for a long time as I edge closer to thirty-years old, and while I’ve had a lot of great success, I’ve not won as many Championships’ as I had hoped. I feel that I am in the right place and that things happen for the right reasons – even if they are negative. Doors close and doors open, so I feel in a positive place and I hope that Mercedes are able to pull it together for next year so that we can fight the Red Bulls and Ferraris for the World Championship.

Here in Monza you always get a unique podium ceremony, above the fanatical crowds. Last year when you won here, you seemed ecstatic when you came off the podium – you received a positive reception following your victory last year regardless of the odd ‘boo’ from some of the fans below.

LH: It’s great to go to certain circuits where fans are able to get on to the track after the race. Even though you get booed it is actually a cool feeling. When you watch football and see the hooliganism, I wish that people were more respectful of the other team. But that’s not the case in the real world and it’s something you have to deal with. When you get the boos, you just take that negative energy and put an even bigger smile on, which makes the booing increase! That’s the greatest thing.

Earlier in the year you stated that you were not at home with the brakes on this car. Monza is a track that relies heavily on braking – are you comfortable now with this issue?

LH: I’m conscious that braking is going to be difficult this weekend, which is where I gained so much time in the past years here. I have generally not been happy with the braking all year – even in the races where I have got pole position. But we are always improving and I’m hoping that next year will be much better.

There is a poignant moment in the Senna Movie where he says “I feel complete as a driver, but I won’t find true happiness until I feel complete as a man, which I’m sure will come later in my life.” It is a very poignant moment and when you look at yourself, Lewis, where do you feel you are on that journey?

LH: That’s an interesting quote because it is very much in line with his religion. There was a message whilst I was at church recently that alluded to a similar thought, saying “Lord, do not take my career to the next level until you have taken me to the next level as a human being.” That is my interpretation of what Senna meant. And I feel that I am heading towards that direction in the best feeling I’ve had for a long time.

The Red Bull seems to be the hottest seat during the recent driver market rumours, and as we now know Daniel Ricciardo is joining Vettel in the team. People sometimes say that if you were in the Red Bull, you could have been Champion every year. Is it the car plus the person? Or is the car a bigger percentage of that pair sometimes?

LH: The car is a large percentage and the team is a large percentage. With all the input from the team it is certainly not 100% the driver, I would put it as 70-80% (car). But with that 20-30% the driver can really make a difference, just look at Sebastian (Vettel) and Mark (Webber). Sebastian is always 6/10ths of a second ahead of him, and that is why Vettel is that exceptional a driver. The best of us are able to bring those extra tenths out above the others and that is what they pay us the big bucks to do.”

To hear the whole interview, plus interviews with Alonso, Ricciardo, Webber and Schumacher go to 5 Live F1 show, Monza

Tags:
  1. SittingDuck says:

Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes AMG F1 are coming out in great force! I really like this new ‘definition’ of driver he’s turning into! As he’s maturing just keeps getting better! Bodes well for the future…

2. Rick says:

Great interview James!

James back in 2005-2006 a lot was written about the particular differences between the driving styles of RAI and ALO (RAI being good at at coping with a car with understeer vs ALO “neutral steer” style tec.) how they dealt with the particular strengths and weaknesses of their cars and what made them quick drivers. As many have said, this is a golden era in F1. 8 years on it would be very interesting to see a new comparison but with all the top drivers now VET, HAM, ALO, RAI. why are they so much quicker? has the driving style of RAI and ALO changed over the years?

Rick

3. bearforce1 says:

I kinda like hearing Lewis when he is like this. It is also great to see Lewis and Vettel chatting away after the last race. I hope this is because Lewis is in a happier place now.

I think his past relationship really messed him around and it affected him to the extent that we could all see he was struggling.

Nice comments from Lewis about Vettel. Its funny because Lewis complimenting Vettel actually makes Lewis look good in my opinion.

I used to like all the drivers and teams but for while I had an unpleasant feeling about Lewis but now I can like everyone again. I hope I haven’t jinxed Lewis by saying this all this.

1. Quade says:

Yeah, you did! He came 12th today. :)
      Lewis is largely misunderstood because he wears his heart on his sleeve and is utterly useless at team politics. He comes across as a very nice person, oversized ego like all champs, but nice.

1. bearforce1 says:

Hey. I read somewhere that he is once again back with his Ex GF? Has to be the worst thing for him ever. I blame her and not my comment above for the problems.

4. Tornillo Amarillo says:

Excellent interview!

I remark some Lewis thoughts IMO:

- McLaren is better as a team (in terms of facilities only?);

- Only “hope” for Mercedes for the 2014 season (not conviction there);

- VETTEL is great now… It’s seems now Lewis recognize VETTEL is very good, while these last years he was saying ALONSO was the good one. So Lewis try now to be more reasonable, for saying the least…

1. Tornillo Amarillo says:

*it seems

5. goferet says:

Whoa what a surprise.

So Lewis is still not 100% comfortable with the car and yet is still getting the results >>> pretty impressive I say taking everything into context i.e. beating Vettel.

Also impressive is the fact that Vettel is starting to get the respect of his competitors for not only has Alonso said that Vettel is the one making the difference this year seeing as all the top cars are closely matched but now Lewis too is giving Vettel credit for least we forget Webber used to always be strong in qualifying.

And yes it’s true, the fans too expected Lewis to have more titles at this point in time but like in football, sometimes the better team/player doesn’t win but if you’re good enough, your time to shine will come regardless.

As for Lewis’ contract negotiations last year, there’s no doubt if Lewis had managed to somehow win the title, he would have stayed as shown by the fact that the Monza win hadn’t swayed him.

What really broke the camel’s back was the DNF at Singapore 2012 and that’s exactly the moment the sly fox that is Lauda used to pounce to convince Lewis to jump ship.

And as they say, the rest is history.

6. losperros says:

It’s pleasure watching this fine young man mature before our eyes. Let’s hope he has the opportunity to win the couple more WDC his racing talent richly deserves.

1. aveli says:

come on losperos, it is natural that everybody matures. even plants do. tranpling on a person’s dignity is the greatest offense.

7. dren says:

Pretty good interview James, enjoyed it!

8. Scott D says:

“…it feels like NASA at the MTC. Whereas, at Brackley it feels more like a Formula Three team”.

Very amusing comment. I would love to see the reaction of the Mercedes board to that one. Probably not the sort of image they are trying to push…!

1. Frique says:

Selective quotation as always. Lets forget he quantified his statement by continuing/elaborating “a real pure racing team”.

This only confirms my assertions about McLaren, that they have more of a corporate set-up.

Let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good dig hey!!

1. Scott D says:

No dig intended. It is actually quite refreshing to hear comments like that these days. Merely an observation of how those without a sense of humour might view such a comment…

9. Neil says:

Oof, Webber catching some shrapnel at the end there.

It’s a pity that Kimi or Alonso didn’t go to Red Bull so we could have a real champion vs champion litmus test of how great a driver Vettel is.

1. SteveS says:

What makes Kimi, or Alonso, the litmus test? How do you know for certain that either of them are “great” drivers?

1. Bartholomew says:

Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen and Hamilton are all clearly great drivers. Most debates regarding them just end up in huge arguments, or go around in circles.

2. bk201 says:

“…or go around in circles.”

What about arguing with yourself under two accounts?

3. Bartholomew says:

“What about arguing with yourself under two accounts?”

A pretty laughable comment as usual, presented by bk201.

4. j says:

WDCx2 & WDCx1

5. SteveS says:

Vs WDCx3. (or is it WDCx4?)

6. F1ista says:

“What makes Kimi’s and Nando’s WDC’s worth more in some peoples eyes than Seb’s? And don’t say “It’s the car” because that’s just guesswork.”

Think of it in another way. Let’s say that at the end of 2014, Vettel finishes 4th in the WDC standings.

What would make the difference between a likely, four WDCs in a row, but then ending 4th in the WDC in 2014?

I think it’s fair to say that you will say “the drivers who finished ahead of Vettel had better cars.” Hmmmmmm.

7. floodo1 says:

experience. Kimi and Alonso are the standard bearers because they’ve been racing for so long, and competed against a different generation of drivers. Vettel has only ever really competed against these guys. Also because Kimi and Alonso have come relatively close to winning the championship many times…especially alonso with 2 2nd places and probably a 3rd this year…..hard to argue with a man that 2x WDC and has 3 runner ups, in addition to fighting the best drivers for a decade. On top of this both have been ultra competive racing for multiple teams.

In short Alonso and Raikkonen have withstood the test of time and go down as a couple of the best drivers of there eras. Vettel surely will as well, but having only ever raced for one team, who everyone knows has pretty much had the best overall car for years does take a little bit away. The same way that schumachers career loses just a little bit of shine because of how dominant ferrari was. One always has to wonder just that little bit…

8. Neil says:

World champions in incredible seasons..
        A history of making bad cars look good.
        Currently fighting for the world championship, and destroying their team mates.

Webber is a great racer, but he’s none of the above.

Out of interest, who would you consider a litmus test?

9. SteveS says:

2010 and 2102 were more incredible seasons than 2005 and 2006, and at least as incredible as 2007.

Neither Alonso or Raikkonen have any history of making bad cars look good. The Minardi was a bad car, and Alonso looked bad in it.

Vettel is currently fighting for the world championship, and destroying his teammate.

Webber is certainly better than Massa or Grosjean.

I think this “litmus test” stuff is complete twaddle. Neither Alosno nor Kimi have ever passed the “litmus test” being proposed for Vettel.

10. Elie says:

This is for Steve S – Raikkonen put a Sauber on P2 in his first year 2001. He finished his first race at P6. He was set on fire in 2008 in the pits in a Very bad Ferrari & still ended up on the podium. I could probably dig up 10-20 more examples including what he’s done over the last 2 years at Lotus alone has been widely acknowledged as amazing by everyone in the sport..but then we have a genius like you think they know better

11. Bartholomew says:

@SteveS – Well, they can make “bad” cars look good. Raikkonen in 2001, Alonso in 2003, Vettel in 2008, all while still young. Okay, they weren’t as bad as the 2001 Minardi, but they certainly put those cars in unexpectedly high places.

@Elie – I agree with you, but which race was it that Raikkonen was P2 in 2001? Also it ws 2009 that KR’s car caught fire in the pitlane (when behind Kovalainen).

12. JF says:

Steve S has it right to a degree. I think Vettel has earned his place on merit. No need to diminish what Vettel, Raikkonnen, Alonso, Hamilton and Webber have done.

13. bk201 says:

“The Minardi was a bad car, and Alonso looked bad in it.”

How on earth do you ever expect your views to be taken seriously when you write pure nonsense such as the above.

I wonder why you even write such things. Is it because you only started watching F1 long after 2001? Or is it because you don’t really understand this sport? Or is down to your clear “Vettel is best” fanatacism and every other comment must be shoe-horned in to fit that view? Or just plain old stupidity?

I suspect it’s a bit of all of the above. If you really think Alonso looked “bad” in the Minardi, then you’ll have to explain how he hit the ground running, to the point of outqualifying his teammate by 2.6 seconds at his first race. And how he got a bad car into a number of upper-midfield finishes.

Finally, you’ll have to explain why Flavio Briatore was so eager both to get Alonso the drive at Minardi and why he signed him for Renault after just one season. Afterall, as I’m sure you’re not aware, Briatore is the man who signed Michael Schumacher for Benetton in 1991 after just one race for Jordan.

Otherwise, it’s all rather remarkable that a driver who “looked bad” in his first season in F1 was signed by a top team and went on to become a 2xWDC and eventually became widely regarded as the best driver of the current era.

Perhaps “bartholomew” will answer for “you.”

14. Bartholomew says:

@bk201 – It’s pretty clear that I am not “SteveS”. James can verify that.

I don’t even agree with SteveS’s view that Alonso looked bad in the Minardi. Paul Stoddard described his Suzuka drive as 53 laps of qualifying, I seem to remember. Thus if anyone is displaying “stupidity”, it’s the person who accuses two people that do not agree, of being the same person. Maybe you ought to find a more constructive use of your time?

Enough!

No more of this please – it’s very boring

16. floodo1 says:

hard to believe anyone questions kimi’s credentials. The d00d has been stupid fast for what 4 teams? The litmus test is being fast in more than one car. The litmus test is surviving at the highest level of the sport for a decade. The litmust test is being fast when the car isn’t.

On those 3 counts alone vettel only passes one, whereas kimi and alonso pass all 3.

Thing of it is, every year vettel gets closer, and his record speaks for itself…he’s now won as many races as Alonso.

17. Matt says:

Alonso in 2012, and parts of 2013, was phenomenal. He was voted best driver by 8 out of the 12 team principals last year. I don’t think you can deny that Alonso is a “great” driver.

Kimi has the record for most consecutive points finishes – and they’re not just P8,P9, P10s but also podiums and a win in the Lotus. He jumped back into an F1 car from rallying and was immediately on the pace with the new tires.

Come on Steve, really?

18. KRB says:

I wouldn’t hold your breath, for your last sentence there. I think he regards any nice words towards SV’s competitors as some sort of personal defeat. But that’s his problem, not yours.

I wonder who were the 4 team principals that didn’t vote for Alonso? Obviously RBR and Toro Rosso, but then who? Maybe Lotus and Caterham supportin’ their Renault brethren?

Would be interesting to know.

19. Cuba says:

Vettel an Hamilton are also great. Being in a team with them is also a litmus test too.
        Ham: Nico and Jenson is/are relatively ok. Alonso was equally great, and Heikki didn’t match up.
        Vettel we only have Webber to look to, we need someone else to compare to – better if it is a fellow champion driver proven against others at the top level.

2. KRB says:

Yeah, bit of a kick in the pants for Webber from Lewis there. Odd thing for him to say, especially six-tenths! I don’t think any driver is on average six-tenths faster than their teammate (ok, maybe Bianchi over Chilton!). Bit of a love-in between Vettel and Hamilton of late.

I think he has the percentages about right … I would say 80-20 car to driver, or say 70-20-10 for car-driver-team, team here meaning racetime pitwall strategy and pit work.

1. floodo1 says:

sounds roughly right

10. Alexander Supertramp says:

Haha, Mark is actually 6 tenths slower than Sebastian in P2..

1. Dave C says:

Webber is past his sale by date, lets see what Ricciardo can do, he’s highly rated and apparently 1 of the best as a technical driver as he is the quickest in the Redbull simulator of anyone in the group, but if he gets trounced by Vettel then…..

1. Andrew says:

We don’t really know how good Ricciardo is though do we.
        Now if it were a proven driver it would indeed be the litmus test for the blown diffuser prince.

11. Phil Glass says:

No other driver likes to pat himself on the back quite like Lewis.

1. Sebastian says:

Lewis seems sincere and open to me. I like his attitude a lot. When did we last hear Alonso say that he didn’t extract the maximum out of the car? Lewis is candid about his weaknesses and his strengths. All on merit if you ask me.

2. Tim says:

No other driver likes to pat himself on the back quite like Lewis…..

Oh, I don’t know about that. I would say old Nando doesn’t do too badly. He holds himself in very high regard.

3. RogerD says:

To save everyone the hassle of reading the whole interview, I’ll summarise.

“Gee, I’m good, aren’t I?”

1. Kay-Gee says:

Lol, that’s a funny summary. I’m his staunch fan but that cracked me up.

12. peter says:

nice interview, but felt bad reading the last answers regarding personal growth/philosophical view and mr webber.
    the first somewhat childish, the second too. i`m not a fan of nobody, but assuming in red bull that they had always had the same team effort behind them is somewhat naive or blind. and that is the case of every single team. economic interests, team politics or simple affinity would make for a driver to get more than the other (i know for exp). he won`t say bc he`s always been the favourite, but i think it`s unfair from his part not recognizing there are differences in treatment

1. Aaron Noronha says:

There is difference in treatment due to difference in pace if Mark is as fast as Vettel he would get the same treatment as him. You dont Demand respect you earn it.

2. Aaron Noronha says:

And before some idiot says its only at Redbull just take note of who gets to drive the new lotus this weekend

1. Sebastian says:

Räikkönen is TESTING. They won’t be running it in the race…

2. Aaron Noronha says:

They decided not to run it later, its not the first time begining of the year too kimi would get new updates on his car atleast a race before his team mate
        “The team subsequently decided to play it safe for Monza, underlining that the decision was taken because of a desire to be conservative rather than any issue with the long-wheelbase car, which Lotus is convinced is at least as fast as its predecessor.”

THey have decided not to continue with it this weekend

4. Aaron Noronha says:

This was James Allison after the Australian Gp
        “He’s not had an easy weekend either here or there (Australia), because we haven’t been able to provide two cars in exactly the same configuration on either occasions,” said Allison.

“In Melbourne on Friday he was running a step behind Kimi in terms of his aero package, and then he had the upgrade for Saturday morning but then Saturday was disturbed by the weather. Here, once again, we only have one set of (new) kit and we’ve chosen to run that with Kimi and Romain is disadvantaged for that. You try to upgrade the cars as fast as you can and generally speaking, that means that you’re always going to have one set of kit ahead of the second set and that almost inevitably means that one driver gets to try it before there is a second one available, We will always try to get two sets available but it’s not always possible. So he (Grosjean) has had a difficult set of circumstances and he’s also up against a team mate who is really firing on all cylinders so those are the two things”

5. Elie says:

They didn’t run with it and that means Kimis disadvantaged because he has lost time on what he will be racing!!. It’s not always an advantage to run new parts especially with Lotus who don’t have the resources RBR or Ferrari- another eg is the DDRS that has not worked out..It’s only the amazing adaptability of Raikkonen that he can change car specifications and still be on the limits only hours later quite often on the podium..

3. aveli says:

i think hamilton said he enjoys the booing. does that mean he enjoys the negative comments as well? do they make him put on a bigger smile? i wonder.

1. Sebastian says:

I think he means that he enjoys the passion and accepts the booing as an expression of that.

2. aveli says:

what he said is still above and i listened to it on 5 live and prefer the truth. he clearly describes the boos as negative energy when he said ‘when you get the boos, you just take that negative energy and put an even bigger smile on, which makes the booing increase!’.
        did he mean he takes all the negativities, including negative posts and put an even bigger smile on?

3. RogerD says:

Good / bad – it doesn’t matter. Any attention will do for Lewis.

It’s easy to respect his obvious speed / ability, but he carries exactly like a teenager outside of the car.

13. Bayan says:

I was never a fan of Hamilton at Mecca but i find myself becoming a fan of him since he moved to Merc. Great move going to Merc not only for his racing (at least this year), but his image to F1 fans.

1. Frique says:

I think that Lewis hasn’t changed much in terms of character maybe even personality. I think he has only just gained the confidence to express himself and maybe have a bit more control over how he’s seen externally.

For example I’ve never heard Martin speak of Lewis in the same glowing terms as he has with Jenson. Now compare that to Ross Brawn.
      Also the press are a bit kinder to him,as they are of course feeling sheepish after vilifying him over the last few years not least when he announced his move to Brackley.

All these things contribute to how he’s perceived. I think Lewis is a confidence man who feeds off the energy around him and I personally don’t think think he got that at McLaren since 2010.

Saying that since he became part of Fullers stable he’s improved as an athlete.

14. Sid says:

Wow some really interesting comments from Lewis about Seb. Wonder why he thinks he can beat Seb in equal machinery when he’s himself acknowledging that Seb is exceptionally quick and always half a second up on Mark, theoretically that means he can be another tenth or two up, that would be 8 tenths up on Mark!

1. Sebastian says:

Webber on a good day is pretty mighty. But these days, not so many good ones…

1. Glennb says:

That’s a fair assessment IMO.

2. Andrew says:

He thinks he can beat him because he hammered him in F3. Then the year after he went on to win GP2 at his first attempt whilst Di Resta was beating Vettel in F3.

You may say that it was in the past and doesn’t matter but all Hamilton will remember is beating him easily when they had equal cars. So there is no way in the world he is going to think Vettel is better or even equal to him. Especially when he’s shown his speed against Alonso, Kovalainen , Button and now Rosberg.

I’m sure that Di Resta thinks he’s better than Vettel too.

1. Juzh says:

They never had equal cars, and vettel had broken wrist when diresta beat him.

2. KRB says:

Huh? Link please about the wrist! Think you might mean his finger, he almost got it sliced off, was expected to be out for weeks, but was back in the car (for a FR3.5 race) within a week.

Di Resta and Vettel were in the same team.

It was a spec-car series, so close to equal. Lewis was in the better team in 2005 (ASM/ART) and dominated (won 15/20). Seb and Di Resta moved to ASM/ART for 2006.

Many Vettel fans use BMW’s Thiessen’s comment that Vettel’s F3 push was hindered by his testing duties for BMW for the final 3 flyaway GPs. But that only affected the last 2 F3 rounds (4 races), and Di Resta was already 73-69 up at that point. In those last 4 races, all of the ASM/ART drivers didn’t fare too well. Di Resta scored 13 pts, Vettel 6, van der Garde 5, and Kobayashi 0.

Face remains that if Vettel could’ve taken the poles that his teammates took (Di Resta 5, van der Garde 2), then he would’ve been champion. Vettel only took one pole that season.

3. Bartholomew says:

@KRB
        “Many Vettel fans use BMW’s Thiessen’s comment that Vettel’s F3 push was hindered by his testing duties for BMW for the final 3 flyaway GPs. But that only affected the last 2 F3 rounds (4 races)”

Actually, Thiessen wasn’t only referring to the final 3 F1 rounds of ’06. SV started testing from Turkey 2006, before the final 4 weekends (8 races) of the F3 season.

Regardless, this whole F3 Euroseries thing is brought up laughably often. Vettel did fine, they’ve all progressed (at different rates) over the last 7 years, and now they’re competing in the bigtime.

4. Me says:

“I’m sure that Di Resta thinks he’s better than Vettel too.”

You should do stand up.

5. Andrew says:

Equal cars, Di Resta beat him.

Last 4 years Vettel has had a far better car than Di Resta so no conclusions can be drawn.

Di Resta is very similar to Sutil, who funnily enough also hammered Vettel in the year that Hamilton won.

To be clear, Vettel will be a 4 times champion shortly, he is very good. However, he is being compared to the likes of Senna and Prost. They dominated in the lower formulas, like Hamilton. Vettel simply didn’t do that.

Why didn’t he dominate if he is so good?

Again, it staggers me how people can’t see that in F1 it’s all about the car.

6. Bartholomew says:

@Andrew –

As I’ve told you before, Vettel’s 2006 F3 Series loss was blamed by Thiessen on his testing duites at BMW Sauber F1, and running of several WSR events at the same time. Comparing Sutil in his 2nd year of F3 to Vettel in his first in 2005, isn’t useful.

And of course, in 2007 he was leading the WSR standings, but pulled out to make his F1 debut. Those are the junior stages that you’re still holding against him. In the other, he won 18/20 races. You place a laughably high amount of emphasis on junior series stats, when they do not directly tell you how a driver is now.

15. Aj says:

I love it how the interviewer is trying to make stuff up that I can’t remember any other journalist saying ” People sometimes say that if you were in the Red Bull, you could have been Champion every year.”

At least Lewis has the decency to highlight Vettel’s dominance over Webber and not undermine him.

I think everyone know that although Alonso is maybe the most complete driver, Vettel and Hamilton are the best with regards to raw ability and we can only find out which one of them is better, once and if they ever become paired up together.

1. Aj says:

Whoops, I’ve just realised that maybe the interviewer was James, sorry if thats the case

2. KRB says:

The only way I can see them getting paired together is if Mercedes take over the top dog mantle from RBR in the new regulations era next year.

Vettel has done enough to have his pick of teams when/if he decides to leave RBR. So it could be in 2016 that we see a HAM/VET pairing. Having said that, if the Merc is dominant, then Hamilton will likely be hauling in the wins at an equal if not better rate than Vettel is now, so why would Mercedes want to upset that?

Too many if’s in there to even worry about at this juncture.

16. Ashboy says:

I just hope he gets a good car next year, would love a good ding dong of a title with Vettel, Ham, Alonso and Kimi pushing each other to the last race.

17. Samir says:

On Autosport, Mark Hughes has written an interesting article on why Mclaren’s antiseptic perfection has not yielded them more titles in the last two decades. FIAs coziness with Ferrari, Mosley’s enmity with Ron Dennis, are all cited as significant factors. Equally important, according to Hughes are, their inflexibility in seeing the limitations of their processes, and the need for individuals such as Adrian Newey/ Lewis Hamilton/ Kimi to conform to their system, rather than the other way around. I would add that currently, having lost Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton at their peaks, with only 1 title to show for it, they desperately need a driver with great future potential.

1. Tim says:

A well written and reasonable comment. +1

18. MikeyB says:

And yet McLaren’s most recent WDC, who was inside the organisation from the days of his racing childhood, says, “it feels like NASA at the MTC. Whereas, at Brackley it feels more like a Formula Three team – a real pure racing team.” So much for the ‘antiseptic perfection’ theory!

19. Lucas says:

How about this for some classic racing between Vettel and Hamilton. Just enjoy:

1. KRB says:

Yes, great stuff. Love racing when it’s like this, between closely matched cars, where the following car doesn’t shred their tires racing in the wake of the car ahead. Passing is hard in F1 b/c of that, leading to bright ideas like DRS. Whereas IndyCar is too much the other way (on ovals at least), where it’s too easy to slipstream and slingshot past, such that the leader is at a distinct disadvantage if leading late on in a race with someone else close.

2. Quade says:

That was bloody!

20. Jorge Gaviria says:

Ferrari must start to work in their car for the 2014, why wait until Singapore?, it is clear that RB 2013 is thousand year ahead the Ferrari, Lotus & Merc, and with Seb it is not going anywhere