The One and Only
Spa Francorchamps 2014
Belgian Grand Prix
Brawn: Winning both championships in 2009 was biggest singular achievement
Brawn XPB
Posted By: James Allen  |  08 Aug 2013   |  11:55 am GMT  |  76 comments

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn says winning the drivers’ and constructors’ titles with a team bearing his name in 2009 was his biggest singular achievement to date.

Brawn spent 10 years with Ferrari, where he won five drivers’ and six constructors’ championships with the team, before taking a year out of the sport and returning with Honda in 2008.

At the end of the season, Honda decided to pull out, but rather than close the team, Brawn and Nick Fry brokered a deal to save the outfit, renaming it Brawn GP. Jenson Button went on to win the title, with Rubens Barrichello backing him up to help the team win the constructors’. The team was then sold to Mercedes ahead of the 2010 season.

Speaking exclusively to the August edition of the JA on F1 podcast, Brawn said the 2009 success was “singularly, as a short intense period” his greatest achievement.

He added: “Looking back at Ferrari, it took three years to get where we wanted to get to. It took three years of hard and difficult work, so that was different and when we got there managed to keep it going for a long time – that was special as well.

“The 2009 season will always be with me, especially with people we were with and the way the team came together and the experience we had as a group was very special.

“It was a magic period because of the traumas of what went on at end of 2008 and the way everyone stuck together. We had the difficulty of making some of the team redundant. Some things were a new experience for me and quite traumatic for all of the team. To come out with two world championships was stunning and something I’ll never forget.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Brawn said that he “never had a long-term game plan” of reaching Formula 1 and becoming team principal, but he had “always had an interest in engineering” and admitted he is competitive so “Formula 1 was the perfect environment” for him.

Brawn took a year out in 2007 to go fishing and do all the things he hadn’t been able to do having worked in Formula 1 consistently since 1991.

“I did 10 years at Ferrari and I was never quite sure how to draw a line under it or whether I wanted to do,” he said. “But I felt I wanted to at least take a step back and explore other things.

“I had a lot of things that had stacked up over years which I hadn’t be able to do. Decided the best way was to take a year out and reflect on everything. I really enjoyed my time at Ferrari and I would have been very uncomfortable walking away from Ferrari and into another team.

“I was also mindful of coming back to UK as my two girls were starting families and I knew [my wife] Jean would get torn, as I would be, between time in the UK to see grandchildren and time in Italy – so all those factors came together.

“I made a list of all the things I liked about Formula 1 and all the things I didn’t like and it turned out to be positive so I wanted to carry on. That’s the engineer in me, I tend to get very pragmatic. I enjoy the competition, I enjoy the team, I enjoy the challenge.”

Honda struggled in 2008, finishing ninth in the constructors’ with just 14 points. The manufacturer pulled out but the team rose from the ashes as Brawn GP.

Brawn added: “Funnily enough, there was no choice. We didn’t want to close the company. We had what we felt was an exciting car and a lot of very dedicated people in team.

“When we looked at the numbers and looked at deal we were able to negotiate with Honda, it was kind of an 18 month extension of the closure. There was enough funding for a good year and most of second year if we needed to – and not be any worse off at the end of it if we closed the company there and then. We ended up in a no lose situation. It was fortunate the way things worked out.”

When asked to finish the sentence: ‘I won’t rest until…’, Brawn replied: “…I’ve won more races. We spoke earlier about 2009, it’s surprising how quickly you put that behind you. Day to day it is about the next race. I will stop one day. I guess I’m in the autumn of my career.

“I don’t want to stop at the wrong time. I’d like it to be my choice in the best interest of the team. I want to be as close to the top as I can be. Winning races, and hopefully championships, is the lifeblood of why I’m in F1.”

To listen to more from Ross Brawn, plus an interview with Lotus team principal Eric Boullier, make sure you listen to the August edition of the JA on F1 podcast, available to download via the iTunes store or directly here.

1. Neshaen says:

Ross Brawn will retire once Merc wins both the drivers and constructors championship.
    The man has millions and he has paid his dues to the F1 community.
    Paddy Lowe must be patiently waiting…..

2. Richard says:

I have tremendous respect for Ross Brawn, the quietly spoken, calm, careful, calculating engineer. I hope he can stay until Mercedes do win at least one championship, and with luck that may even be this year. I hope that Paddy Lowe can in many ways emulate Ross, certainly they seem similar in character. I expect it will be a soft handover somewhere in the course of next year.

3. Jon Wilde says:

Looking forward to checking out the Podcast to hear the interview in full. I sense despite Ross’s confirmed move out of the team principle role at the end of the season he is not finished with F1.

Perhaps he regards his time with Honda as a chapter he is yet to close. I can imagine him being installed as team principle at Mclaren at the request of Honda or taking a leadership role in Honda’s return to the sport. Is it possible this agreement is already in place and may be part of why Mclaren released Paddy Lowe early?

1. Graham says:

I have been contemplating the possibility of Ross replacing the dismal failure that is Martin Whitmarsh for a while now….

Interstingly, does anyone know what happened to the Brawn GP cars? Have they disappeared into the little white haired wizards “collection”?
      G

1. Jon Wilde says:

Pretty sure they only ever made 2 chassis. JB had it written into his contract, and subsequently took the team to court following his move to McLaren, that he could have his car if he won the championship. The other car, was used at the launch of the Mercedes Team, to launch the livery when the new car wasn’t ready for the media launch. I guess it’s still doing the rounds as a show car for Mercedes at sponsor events

2. McRocket says:

I am pretty sure Jenson Button (after a few back and forth’s) got hold of one. Other then that – no idea.

As for RB taking over McLaren? I feel/fear it is too late in the day. My guess is he will retire before that arrangement could come to fruition.

3. G says:

I’ll “check myself” if you wreck yo’self… :-)
        G

4. McRocket says:

Haven’t a clue what you are on about.

5. Graham says:

Wasnt replying to you, but another comment, sorry

G

6. bob says:

“I have been contemplating the possibility of Ross replacing the dismal failure that is Martin Whitmarsh for a while now”

I’m sorry, but I think you need to check yourself mate. Whitmarsh cops a lot of slack very unfairly. How bout you compare his 4 years in control to the preceding 4 years at McLaren.

Think you’ll find that he’s doing rather well.

7. John says:

Fully agree with you Bob. All teams go through rough patches and McLaren is no exception.

8. Mark Li says:

2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008

WDC 1, WCC 0, GP Wins 24
        WDC second place 2 times, WCC second place 2 times (would be 3 if not for spygate)

2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012

WDC 0, WCC 0, GP Wins 20
        WDC second place 1 time, WCC second place 2 times.

Pre Whitmarsh was better but not by a great margin. The worrying thing for Whitmarsh is that it feels like Mclaren is getting further away from winning a championship under his leadership.

9. Paul says:

Jenson Button has kept the car he won the title in although I’ve no idea of where it would be kept or where the other two chassis would be. When I visited Mercedes last year I wasn’t sure if one of the cars on display was a BGP repainted in merc colours though…..!

10. thomas says:

Button took Mercedes to court for an original Brawn car. It was in Button’s contract that he would get one but Mercedes wanted to give him replica.

11. Phil Glass says:

Martin Whitmarsh .. “a dismal failure”:

However, Jens is talking up their chances for Spa

12. Tim says:

Playing by the rules, spirit and letter, might have something to do with that. RB would have other ideas one suspects..

At last, we agree on something :-) Red Bull (RB) have no concept of playing by the rules!

13. TheBestPoint? says:

Talking about Whitmarsh and dismal failure surely this takes the biscuit?

what exactly is he saying [in plain english speak] cos from where I’m sitting this particular marshspeak sounds pretty bad.

James are we allowed a discussion on what this is all about?

14. Tim says:

Teams (Ferrari)often complain the car didn’t perform as predicted from the wind tunnel/CFD simulations – usually this is underperforming. In the interview (with Autosport) MW is saying the 2012 car performed better than expected. Although this is a nice problem to have in the short term, ultimately it is just as bad as underperformance, as it means the wind tunnel/CFD simulations cannot be trusted. MW then claims this lack of correlation between simulation and track results in 2012 has led them to problems with the 2013 car.
        I hope that helps :-)

15. F1 4 life says:

If Ross does go to Mclaren. Mclaren would need to re-create the engineering team around Ross. Mclaren could have won this years championship if they used an evolution of last years car. Mclaren will need a revolution to succeed, as its pain watching them fall back as a fan.

Yes Honda could persuade Mclaren to get Ross Brawn, but I feel that Ross would like to create one final legacy with Mercedes as an engineer / designer.

I feel we need Gordon Murray to come back into F1 and join Mclaren, recreate the Mclaren Honda days. That is what Mclaren need a visionary architecture.

16. F1 4 life says:

Also Mclaren and Ferrari will be requiring a new Wind tunnel, they may as well follow in the steps of Mercedes as everything is starting to gel over.

2. Pranav says:

That would mean Whitmarsh or Sam Michael leaving… And would Brawn mix with Dennis’ personality?

1. Jon Wilde says:

I wouldn’t like to guess how Ross and Ron could / would work togther. I would be curious to see the Tooned caricature of Ross :)

3. Quade says:

If you check McLarens shareholding structure, you’ll find that Martin Whitmarsh cannot be removed.
      Ross Brawn at McLaren would have been dream otherwise.

1. Jon Wilde says:

Is the Mclaren shareholding structure on the company website? Pretty sure it, like any other company is capable of changing it’s structure.

2. Quade says:

Its more like the politics behind the shareholding.
        Martin Whitmarsh is the benefactor of tensions that have pitched Ron Dennise against Mansour Ojei and Mumtalakat Holding Company.

Ron Dennis holds 25% of the shares, Mansour Ojei’s TAG Group holds another 25%, while Mumtalakat (Bahraini govt) owns 50%.

4. Paige says:

I don’t think so. I think Ross is genuinely worn out and wants a less intensive role in F1. The man is in his 60s, he’s got grandchildren, and he’s been going nonstop at the top level of competition in F1 for two decades. To take over another team on the scale of McLaren at this stage of his life would be too much for him.

1. Jon Wilde says:

You make a good point. He did miss a race last year (or the year before) due to ill health.

Then again look at Bernie. F1 would be a very different place (worse in my view) had he left the sport 20 years ago.

2. shri says:

Look and principals of Sauber and Williams. At what age were they active until they moved out last year.

3. Paige says:

First of all, neither of those teams compete at the same level that Ross Brawn has been competing consistently for the last 20 years. Williams hasn’t been truly world championship competitive since 1997, and they have been a midfield team since 2005. And if you believe some people, Frank hasn’t really been running the team for quite a while now. (Adam Parr before, Claire now.) Sauber has always been a midfield team, except for the years under BMW ownership, in which the team was not run by Sauber. When you compete at the same level that Brawn has been competing at with Benetton, Ferrari (especially), Brawn, and now Mercedes (and even if they weren’t really title competitive the last three years, the expectations were certainly that they should be), it takes a lot out of you given the added pressure.

4. Ben says:

Personally I would love it if Brawn got a job with the BBC. His incite and commentary would be fascinating. I could see all the team principles listening in on his commentary waiting to be told what they should be doing! :-D

5. Richard says:

I was going to say the very same thing. Because BBC is part time it would suit him.

He is such a good communicator even the most techincal things he explains very well. He would be a real asset to TV.

4. goferet says:

No doubt, 2009 was a dream for it was so unexpected, so surprising and no wonder Brawn rates it as his best achievement.

Here was a team that was a backmarker the previous season and not only that, was getting sold at the end of the season >>> a story like this deserves it’s own movie i.e. perfect underdog tale.

I think Brawn really enjoyed this victory because it was his baby, he carried the team on his back as he didn’t have a multi-national financing the team and to add to the suspense, Jenson nearly lost the title when the big boys caught up >>> what a story to tell the grandkids.

Meanwhile, I for one was surprised when Brawn came back into the game in 2008, I guess when you have the competitive genre, you hooked for life.

Unfortunately, this decision by Brawn had the knock-on effect of bringing Schumi out of retirement for what turned out to be a miscalculation on Schumi’s part for he thought he would be getting something similar to the 2009 car.

Anyway, in generations to come, Brawn will be amongst those legends that are remembered for their genius e.g. The classic moment in 1998 when Brawn asked Schumi to make up 25 secs in 19 laps or France 2004 when Schumi won it with 4 pitstops.

Just goes to show, in F1 it’s very important who you have on the pitwall for this can win you or lose you things.

P.s.

2009 was really a special year for it only took Brawn one season to produce a competitive car.

Looking at his time at Benetton and Ferrari, it took him at least 3 seasons to get on top of things, a somewhat similar pattern we see at Mercedes.

1. Nathhulal says:

>> I’m not sure if that is a true statement. If memory serves right Honda had to foot significant(or complete?) amount of the 2009 team budget to comply with some labor regulations in UK. So the whole notion of Brawn and Fry putting hands in their pockets and fed the team in not true. Not to mention Brawn had pulled plug on the 2008 Honda season and diverted Honda resources on 2009 car.

On technical front the Double diffuser concept that turned the 2009 season into what it did was again idea coming from Super Aguri Engineer who came back to the Honda fold after Fry stabbed all of Aguri Suzuki attempts to present backers to Honda Board. At that point (2007-08)Aguri on much much lower budgets was proving more competitive than the Honda A team flooded with Parent company’s resources.

Master stroke of the 2009 season was Max Mosley’s decision ( backed by puppet FIA)to deem the double diffuser solution legal. If we look at the sport’s history before and after the Double diffuser incident, every innovation coming from a competitive team (may it be Williams, Michelin, Renault, Ferrari and later Red Bull) was screwed by FIA to disrupt the units F1 campaign, It’s curious how Max changed his modus operandi and backed Brawn and the double diffuser. Of course Max was busy working toward small budgeted F1 and wanted to sell the David-Goliath story to the new entrants (Prodrive, HRT, Lotus-Caterham, Virgin) applying for F1 entries for the following seasons.

Looking at the factors that fell in Brawn GP’s lap that season, I’m not sure Brawn story is really a fairy tale and indeed Brawn in the Hero of the story as projected in the English media.

1. gudien says:

Very informative post about Brawn GP and the reality of what made them successful. Thanks.

I would never call Ross Brawn a ‘hero’ after all the controversy the man has been involved with at Mercedes, Brawn, and Ferrari. He must be considered in the same light as Flavio Briatore, Michael Schumacher, and Fernando Alonso.

2. F1 Badger says:

Not just the English media though is it. That always seems to be mentioned but not substantiated. RB is hailed all over the world. There are many examples of innovations being sanctioned by the FIA for many big teams…not least red bull (led by another formiddible englishman) over the last five years (front wing, blown diffusers etc). Well written comment but very clearly cherry picking a few facts to promote a negative stance. By all means use all the facts to produce a balanced and ACCURATE opinion.

3. Tim says:

He must be considered in the same light as Flavio Briatore, Michael Schumacher, and Fernando Alonso…

Fair point, however you forgot to include Adrian Newey and Christian Horner in your list of candidates for the ‘naughty boys’ chair.

4. JK says:

@F1 Badger

I don’t sense much negativity in that post. Simply put, RB played an important role in making that year what it was. However, most of the future course had been set in stone the year prior to that, by ditching 2008 development extremely early in order to focus all (Honda) resources on 2009 car.

It was reported back then that the Merc unit was less peaky than the Honda unit, thus more driveable. Even if Honda did not face a financial crisis and stayed on in 2009 (thus using their own power unit) I would like to speculate that, because the diffuser advantage was so huge, Honda as a complete package with JB would have taken the double championship.

5. Robert says:

Some valid points here, but remember that two OTHER teams also started the 2009 with double diffusers (Toyota and perhaps Williams?). And Ross was on record in the engineering meetings over the winter saying that the FIA SHOULD close that loophole that made the DD possible…and when they didn’t, he built it.

Funny you should mention ProDrive….really wish they had made the jump into F1

2. When there are all of the internal politics and egos (such as NL & Wolf at the moment) three years is understandable and probably remarkable.

Oh, BTW, recollection isn’t that Jenson ‘almost lost’ the championship, rather, that he did what was needed to secure it.

1. Rockie says:

Very good point I think people need to watch season reviews as emotions get the better of them, its like saying Alonso lost the title at Abu-dhabi in ’10 forgetting Vettel had a blow out in Korea without that Alonso would have been out of contention.

2. Tim says:

I take your point about reviewing the season as a whole. But, and I know this will seem nit picking, Alonso did lose the championship at Abu-dhabi in 10. It was at that race that the championship was won and, therefore by definition, it was also lost at the same moment ;-)

5. Steve Tyson says:

I used to be a HUGE Ross Brawn fan, but I feel very let down and feel he stabbed Schumi in the back.

1. dj says:

He didn’t, it was the CEOs/shareholders of Mercedes that wanted to hire Hamilton. Ross, and Norbert, sat next to Schumi when he announced his retirement last year.

2. Pasq says:

How do you work that out?

3. Danny Almonte says:

Rosberg destroyed Schumacher and out pointed him in every season at Mercedes. It was no surprise that Schumacher was left disillusioned and unsure of his future chances against Rosberg. Mercedes made the right call in landing Hamilton and kicking Schumacher to the curb.

6. goferet says:

I will stop one day. I guess I’m in the autumn of my career.
    ————————————————-

From what I gathered, Brawn has a job for life at Mercedes and won’t really retire in the true sense of the word but rather will take on a role similar to what Patrick Head held at Williams i.e. Behind-the-scenes-bloke till that time it becomes absolutely necessary to sell the shares.

1. Richard says:

Yes I agree with that! I think Ross will assume what is basically a consultancy or advisory role, but I see him staying with the team throughout 2014 with soft handover to Paddy Lowe something like mid year. All this talk about McLaren is fertile imaginings. Ross wants to leave F1 on a high and 2014 seems an ideal point for that given the high expectation for Mercedes next year

7. Shane Pereira says:

Ross Brawn to replace Whitmarsh at McLaren in 2015????….it makes perfect sense.

1. Tim says:

If you care to place a bet on this, I will take your money :-)

1. Shane Pereira says:

Hi Tim

Happy to have a friendly £20 bet…

Cheers
        Shane

2. Tim says:

I can’t see it happening myself, but as I said I will be happy to take your money :-)
        The loser pays £20 to the charity chosen by the winner would be my suggestion – ok by you?

2. Jonathan says:

No it doesn’t!

But I can see him taking on a Honda role like Norbert Huag had with the Mercedes badged power units.

8. Zombie says:

For me personally, there was something magical about late 90s when the commentators would scream “out of our sights a red car driven by a german has just put himself in provisional pole” and camera showing Ross Brawn peeling yet another banana ! The Todt-Byrne-Schumi-Brawn era is the one i would remember most about Ross Brawn. The early Benetton years were fun too as nobody expected that young team, with an obscure driver to win races let alone championships. The 2009 season will remind folks mostly of the emergence of Seb Vettel in the second half of the season and the double diffuser design of Brawn cars, more than the two titles won by an unbranded/unstickered team..

1. Gazza says:

Actually most independent fans remember 2009 simply because a minnow of a team out the ashes of Honda beat all the big players.

A far cry from the same o same o of the early naughties that turned so many off the sport.

I can see where Ross is coming from.

Amen for that.

1. Zombie says:

The double diffuser gave them nearly 1.5 – 1.8 secs over others in the early races. Besides, Honda fully funded 2009 development throughout 2008,so they were not exactly “minnows”. The “early naughties” was a far cry from being snoozefest. Benetton were the pretenders taking the fight to Williams and Mclarens, and later Schumacher dragging those awful Ferraris to compete with Williams and Mclarens. Brawn GP was winning races by a country mile..and was as exciting as 2001/02/04/11.

2. iceman says:

The 2009 Brawn was reputed to be the most expensive car ever built, with close to a billion dollars invested in it by Honda.

9. Mike from Colombia says:

James, do you think Mercedes are having regrets about replacing Brawn with Wolff and Lowe ?

Straight after they makes moves to replace Brawn, things start to come together. The team is now reaping the rewards of all the behind the scenes work that Brawn put in place over the last three years.

The Mercedes board must have realised this when they witnessed the way that Brawn took the helm at the tribunal hearing in Paris. How many other team principals command the same level of presence and leadership?

Wi continuing success Brawn will probably start to develop more of a father and son relationship with their star driver, and who is to say that the Schumacher-Brawn formula cannot be recreated to some extent?

Wolff seems surplus to requirements to me. Mercedes cannot be happy with his recent alleged comments to Kolles. His role is admin…not much else. Mercdedes could not have relied on him to go to Paris.

Mercedes must be regretting some of this…..?

10. Clear View says:

I really think Ross will eventually, if not already, be looked at as an F1 great, along with names like Colin Chapman and Gordon Murry.

IMO, They guy is a walking talking legend.

11. Youngslinger says:

F1 without Ross is like F1 without cars!

12. shri says:

He has achieved success, gained honour in F1 community and made millions as an individual. Very few are able to do that kind of thing.

13. Paige says:

When a team bearing your namesake wins both championships, I don’t see how anything could rank above it.

The thing about Ross that I like is that the common F1 follower can almost always learn something substantive when he speaks. He has always seemed to me to be more open than most about the technical dynamics in F1 (i.e. the specific areas in which teams are developing, what cars need to have in order to be competitive, etc.). With as secretive a world as F1 is, this is rare thing.

1. Robert says:

Agreed on this point – Ross Brawn is an interview GODSEND. Whenever he opens his mouth, I stop whatever I am doing and listen closely…because whatever he says will teach me more about the arcane details of F1…he just DOES it, like it is the most natural thing in the world, to talk about arcane details and strategies. Love it…

14. Neil Jenney says:

James

If you have the time to write another book, this would be a great subject. I’d love to hear the stories from the team’s perspective for the period from the Honda pull out, to the Mercedes sale. What was it like looking at the data before testing and knowing how fast the car was? How touch and go was it getting the car to testing? How hard was the switch from Honda to Merc power, and how much of an advantage was it? I’ve always wanted to know more about what went on, and have dozens more questions I’d like answered. This interview just fired my curiosity again. Great stuff.

15. Eric says:

Hmmm.

I listened to the podcast and I regarded Brawn’s answer that although Brawn GP was his greatest “singular” achievement, Ferrari was his most satisfying achievement in that it wasn’t singular. Brawn could hardly answer in an interview that he actually preferred winning in his old team could he? (Brawn = Merc = current team of people)

16. McRocket says:

That was a great interview.

I think if all Ross Brawn had done in his F1 career was 2009, he would still have had a superbly noteworthy one. But throw in everything else? A virtual legend.

I truly believe he would get more credit if he was more vocal and charismatic.

Were I starting an F1 team (as owner); the person I would want to run it would be Braun or Horner.

17. Elie says:

Without doubt the Courage to undertake what he did post Honda is something very special & you don’t find in many people let alone people in his technical world.
    Ross is the wise man of the paddock with the courage of his convictions to stand his ground when others would surely crumble. He is very measured and very accurate with his words this in itself imparts leadership that is required by team leaders.. I think Mercedes are starting to emerge into what Ross expected of them and by the end of the year- they will be successful enough for him to make that “soft transition” to Paddy Lowe.He has nothing left to prove but hopefully he will continue to add value for a couple of years yet.

18. Chris says:

Although I respect Ross Brawn and his achievements, I think the credit he gets from the Brawn GP year is often overstated in certain respects.

Clearly he played a significant operating role both in the pitlane and in the corporate side. He brokered a deal with Honda management to save the company and kept many jobs going during the financial crisis. However, I don’t think he designed the car from the ground up as many people believe or as the lore suggests.

From what I understand, the Brawn car had nearly 18 months of additional development ahead of the rest of the field beginning in 2007. as well as having several tremendously expensive development paths going on at the same time from Honda to Super Aguri to Dome.

Perhaps Brawn had some input in melding all this development together, but since he joined in 2008 while the development had started long before, I feel like his technical role may have been less involved than his operational role that year.

That being said, I hope Ross can achieve one more championship with AMG before departing though. His legacy will be that much stronger and I just want to see Newey/RedBull’s reign of terror/boredom end.

19. Schnell! schnell! says:

Lets not forget he was the man behind the Jaguar XJR14 as well. A stunning car that Martin Brundle regards as the best he ever drove, to any rule set.

20. Pally says:

It’s a real big mistake that Mercedes are replacing Brawn with the relatively unproven Lowe. Whitmarsh has just the other day been quoted as indirectly blaming Lowe for the 2013 McLaren car because he was TD and it was all approved under his watch.

21. Goob says:

2009 was a rock bottom year for F1… Button, an undisputed underachiever, only had to beat one guy on the grid… Barrichello…

That was one of the most pointless seasons ever… it was only the double diffuser that won anything that year.

1. Robert says:

An “undisputed underachiever” who scored more points in three years, in the same car at McLaren, than Lewis Hamilton did. Yeah, dream on. His little pinky can drive faster than you…

2. John in San Diego says:

I think we were watching different seasons in 2009. It was a great season. JB’s WDC and Brawn’s WCC, the emergence of SV, Webber’s first wins, Kimi’s win at a Spa with the crock of a Ferrari, Hamilton’s wins (one of which was the first KERS win I believe at Hungary) in the equally bad McLaren, Barrichello’s two wins, and the discovery of Kamui stand out in my mind. On the downside, the sadness of Massa’s injury, which I think is one of the contributors to his relative poor form today.

3. Jonathan says:

How sad a statement is that? Perhaps you should use a dictionary and learn what “underachiever” means. If an underachiever suddenly starts delivering results he can no longer be called an underachiever!

You could say much the same about many of schumacher’s titles, all of Vettel’s and definitely Jacque Villenueve’s.

The best bit about Button’s title was watching the pressure mount as the other cars caught up and what was left of the Honda team was struggling to stay fast enough to remain in contention. We have seen so many other drivers crash out when faced with such pressure as a race develops.

1. audifan says:

if only webber had followed button’s example he would have been WDC in 2010

22. Making holiday cards full of warm wishes is a perfect project for a class, a grade or even the whole school.
    With the holidays looming around the corner you may want to get a
    jumpstart on your holiday shopping and start saving now. You can easily find the way in which you don’t have to face all these mess.