Will the Prancing Horse rise?
Monza 2014
Italian Grand Prix
Silverstone hoping fans will make late ticket buying surge
Darren Heath
Posted By: James Allen  |  01 May 2013   |  4:02 pm GMT  |  98 comments

Ticket sales for this year’s British Grand Prix are down on this time last year, according to the circuit’s managing director Richard Phillips.

There are a number of factors to blame for the slow take up of tickets this year, including lack of British winners in 2013 as well as bad memories and bad publicity hanging over from last year’s event, where torrential rain led to chaos; many fans were asked not to attend on Saturday in order that the operators could repair the circuit’s car parks for race day. Around 400 public events were cancelled in the UK that weekend, but Silverstone had to go ahead and this was felt to be the only way to achieve it,

“In retrospect that was the right call,” said Phillips, “What happened last year was unprecedented, but it was also a wake up call.”

A crowd of almost 300,000 attended the three days of the Grand Prix last year, but the “stay away” notice was an embarrassment for the circuit and for the sport. The untold story was the total figure of £1 million which had to be paid back to the 10,000 fans who claimed their money for the unused Saturday tickets, although due to insurance covering the loss, the event still made a profit for the circuit – one of the few F1 venues to do so.

In response, this year Silverstone has invested “hundreds of thousands” of pounds in infrastructure and drainage updates to ensure that there is never a repeat of 2012. Some of the materials have come from the Olympics, such as the matting to lay over grass car parks.

Additional campsite space has been allocated for this year and a new transport plan is in the works which will see Silverstone working with train companies and bus operators to bring more people in by rail with a bus transfer from Milton Keynes.

In the last six years, having secrured the rights to the British Grand Prix for the long-term, Silverstone’s owner the BRDC has invested £42 million in upgrading the circuit, developing the new pits complex and other features, as it strives to make it a centre of excellence for motorsport.

In September a new school will open, close to Copse Corner, for 14-18 year olds with an emphasis on performance engineering and event management alongside traditional subjects.

The British Grand Prix is round eight of this year’s championship and takes place on the weekend of June 29/30, leaving less than two months for the tickets to sell out. Silverstone’s revenues are entirely based on ticket sales as the other commercial revenue streams are all taken by F1′s Commercial Rights holder.

Philipps and his team along with BRDC president Derek Warwick are hoping that fans get behind their national event; 70% of the 300,000 who attend Silverstone each year are UK residents.

* Are you going to the British Grand Prix this year? If you planned to but have decided not to attend, please tell us why in the comments section below.

1. Martin B says:

The main factor stopping me is the price. Just checked the website now and Sunday tickets start FROM £145 per person. No wonder they made a profit!

I haven’t got the inclination to do an analysis, but it would be interesting to compare the cost of attending with other major sporting events like the FA Cup/World Cup Final and Ashes Test Matches for example.

1. Dave says:

The BBC did some analysis on this. Well, they compared some prices for other F1 races and other sporting events.

Obviously F1 is tricky to judge, as the weekend involves more than just the F1 sessions, but it’s certainly not cheap whatever way you cut it.

1. Sebee says:

Indianapolis!

Our American friends didn’t know how good they had it!

2. Mark Fulford says:

The Canadian Grand Prix where I live is on par price wise but the facilities are way down. It really could do with the investment spent like in uk. And it rains here too.

1. Sebee says:

I hope our hosts don’t take this the wrong way, but Montreal over Silverstone any day. Please don’t be mad UK fans. You take a boat ride from the old town, you watch a GP, you take boat or metro back and F1 theme party all evening long. And guaranteed on track action every time.

After going to most, it’s my favorite. Even without fancy facilities. In fact, I’d rather they not touch a thing.

2. J says:

Was going to post the same thing. It’s the same cost and has been for years for Montreal to sit on the grass somewhere, or if you want to sit on a scaffold grandstand seat you have to buy the whole weekend and pay between $500 and $600. No Sunday only option.

I think sometimes the uk fans just love to “whinge”. You invented that word right? (Just kidding! ;)

3. Dave says:

I guess the BBC didn’t do their research properly, then.

According to the article I linked, cheapest Canada ticket is £62. Happy to be proved wrong, mind.

That said, at least Canada provides interesting races. It’s one of my favourite circuits. Silverstone, on the other hand, is a bore.

3. matt says:

We have been going to Silverstone for F1 for 10 years in a row but the ticket price goes up every year to a point where we cant afford it any more.
      Also we found that last year there were so many of the roving seats we use on Saturday are now for corporate guests only.
      The food on sale there is very poor, two cold pizzas and 2 cokes £25.
      Poor ticket sales has nothing to do with who is winning its about money.

4. mark twyman says:

yep I think Silverstone has shot themselves in the foot ie the true f1 fans the one that watch it year in year out yep there will be plenty of people there at Silverstone the ones that want to be seen on the grid the one that don’t have to and don’t want to pay

2. Joseph Pilkington says:

So, of course this has nothing to do with the fact that Silverstone is one of the most expensive days out in all of sport, and by far the most expensive ticket on the F1 calendar?

1. Wayne says:

Yep, it’s all about the price for most people. £320 for me and my son to attend, it’s getting utterly ridiculous. And let’s face it – F1 is not the best sport in the world to watch live at the venue – it’s better enjoyed from home really!

Having said that, if fans stay away from the venues then all of the circuits that are not funded by more money than sense governments who blow tax payers cash on F1 events rather than hospitals and schools will close.

Eastern governments are just not as accountable to the people they are supposed to SERVE. While people scream for basic human rights and the gulf between the super rich and the poor widen – these unaccountable governments showcase a tiny fraction of their country to the world – it’s basically false advertising at the very least. The west is badly disadvantaged in this sense. Rightly so as well.

1. Sebee says:

How old is your son Wayne?

I took my oldest to a IndyCar race free Friday thing last year just to see if he would like racing. It’s just not fun for kids. Hot sun, baking in the stands, he quickly was disinterested, and wanted to go into the pavilion to see the cars and have a nice cool ice cream. GA at Silverstone is insane! No one is going to wait at the gate at 6AM with their kids to get a good spot. By the time the drivers parade comes on you’ll be raging mad. But I guess that’s the point, to get everyone to buy grandstand tickets.

2. George says:

Like +1

3. goferet says:

Whoops!!!

It appears the nightmare from last year’s British Grand Prix is still fresh in the fans minds >>> I mean turning away fans from the circuit >>> Only in the UK.

Yes, I think it’s understandable that some fans have reservations about the idea of attending another race taking into account it always rains in the summer and so the fear of 2012 happening all over again.

But one thing am sure about, those tickets will get snuffed up for one thing about the British fans is they have got motorsport (and sport in general) running through their veins more so with such a exciting season on offer.

P.s.

Hoping for a wet race this time and not a wet qualifying like what happened in 2012.

1. Wayne says:

Why ‘only in the UK’? Does Bahrain ring any bells with you?

1. goferet says:

@ Wayne

Hahaha touché

2. frankotifosi says:

Regardless of weather any true F1 fan will be there come rain shine or snow (that would be interesting)

4. JasonF says:

I’d love to take my family, but at a minimum of £700 for us all (race day entry only), I can do a lot more fun things with my money. It is terrible value when compared say… to a week at the seaside!

1. Nick Young says:

Precisely – same here, actually it’s more like £770 if you include parking! For me and the majority of people I know that like motor racing, it’s certainly not about a lack of British race winners, or about the weather, or anything else like that – it’s all about the price which has become so expensive it’s now out of reach for most families, and difficult to justify as value for money. For the price of 4 seats in a grandstand for one day, I can take my whole family away on holiday for a week.

On the other hand, when I want to go and see some motorsport action I can go see the BTCC where I can generally get a family of 4 in on race day for under £60… The quality of racing is generally better than F1 at Silverstone too, even if the noise isn’t quite the same.

1. iceman says:

If you want the noise, I would highly recommend a Masters Historic Racing or Historic Sports Car Club event. More than likely it will be even cheaper than BTCC!

5. Tim Richardson says:

Silverstone – great to drive hopeless to watch. Been like it for years….F1 see you in Monza.

1. Sebee says:

Tim,

Both are unique places. Both have their charms.

Honestly, as lovely as the whole Monza experience is, with train access, park tree shade, Italian all around, it’s just too darn fast to be enjoyed vs. Silverstone.

6. Paul says:

I had planned to go as I attend most years, but the price of the tickets is just getting ridiculous. When even general admission is approaching £150 surely there’s something wrong?

Having said that, I’ll go again next year or to another race, sometimes it’s nice to have a bit of a gap!

7. Elissa says:

I won’t be attending Silverstone this year, I’ve been every year for the past 5 and the biggest factor is money. It’s an eye watering price for me and my partner to justify. To put it into persepective I paid £35 to watch the WEC up there a few weeks ago, yet a seat in the same grandstand for F1 day will be £340…now as much as I love F1, it isn’t 10x better then every other motorsport. We could make do with a general admission ticket, but again that’s £165 and having done general admission in the past it’s a frustrating experience for the price. We haven’t even got onto mentioning the cost of car parking yet. I only live a few miles from Silverstone yet can either pay £45 to park or put up with a notoriously slow park and ride.

Now I fully appreciate Silverstone’s been forced into charging silly prices due to the deal they signed with Bernie, but they can’t expect the fans to do it year in year out and not start to question what they’re paying for. The actual experience of being at Silverstone is fantastic, seeing the cars visually is stunning, but everything that goes with it is incredibly frustrating and eventually it does get the better of you. The problem I find with General Admission and reserved standing (ie Luffield – bronze) is that you have to arrive at 7am to get a pitch without a restricted view, and even at that time of the morning you’ll be struggling to find a good spot as everyone has those foldup chairs spread out. I’ve seen fans turned away from areas they’ve paid for due to them being full up. It’s really galling sitting there at 7am freezing and soaking wet whilst the expensive grandstand seats remain completely empty until only an hour before the race. And to be fair…those grandstand seats aren’t worth £300+, i’ve done them a few times and it was nice to saunter in with only a short time but not worth the price.

There used to be many more activities and places of interest off track, nowadays it’s just the identi-clone F1 merchandising village which is repeated around the track. There’s only so many times I want to see a Lotus tshirt for sale. For a first timer, no doubt they will love the whole experience, I’m almost envious of them in that respect! But for a ‘diehard’ Silverstone attendee I find it harder to justify each year. Silverstone has always had a surplus of fans wishing to attend but with the recent economic trouble of the past years hitting people’s pockets, plus the debatable decline in ‘good quality racing’ (not pirelli led random race results) that pool of surplus fans seems to of dried up. Silverstone shot themselves in the foot last year in regards to qualifying, it’s obviosu they were going to pay for it this year.

To put this into perspective this year for the same price of a Sunday F1 general admission ticket I’ll be able to pay for weekend admission to WEC, BTCC, Blancpain Endurance, and Silverstone Classic, and that’s grandstands for each. Silverstone have priced themselves out the market in this household, and god forbid if we had to pay for children to attend too.

They’ve got themselves into this mess, they have to sort it.

1. Simon Lord says:

How good to see a comment from someone telling it like it really is for a normal spectator. Should be made compulsory reading for everyone in FOM so they can see what they are really delivering to the fans. And, may I suggest, a lot of journalists would do well to remember who they are writing for, too. There’s a difference between sharing insider knowledge and showing off about being an insider. I am NOT referring to JA in writing this, but certain others who write on F1.

I’m glad you appreciate the difference

8. Ewan says:

I won’t be back, but not because of the rain itself, but the shockingly bad way they treated fans queuing on the roads to get in on the Friday.

1000s of people were stuck on the roads, with no information coming from the Silverstone radio station, instead the guys on it kept talking as if nothing was wrong and commenting on the races and practice laps.

When they finally announced all the campsites were closed to new arrivals, there was a 30 second announcement, then right back to commentary as if nothing was really wrong. At that point, the police appeared, the staff disappeared, and huge numbers of people were told to go away by the police.

It’s that, and not the rain, that I think has burnt Silverstone’s relationship with the fans.

1. Elissa says:

yes I remember that, appallingly bad management.

For me I found the most distasteful thing was watching fans who’d paid for reserved standing at Luffield being turned away as the area was full due to everyone bringing fold up chairs. The G4 staff turning people away had zero empathy and didn’t seem to care that people had specifically paid extra to view from there.

9. Rachel says:

I’m going. Booked back in January. I’m even trying camping again – and preying it’s not quite as wet!

1. leef1nut says:

Me too!

10. James Lewis says:

I suggest considering a foreign GP.

For the cost of an average 3 day Silverstone grand stand ticket we went to the Turkish GP in 2009 and Monza in 2010. Flights, hotel and cheapest grand stand tickets added up to about £300 for each of the grand prix. We had a fantastic time…

I’m sure I’ll compromise this year by attending friday practice – you can sit in any grandstand out of the rain! For only £60!

Definitely another foreign trip next year… Hungary – again, cheap!

11. Neil says:

I read this post and thought “Oh, tickets are still available? Maybe I’ll go then.” And then I saw the prices. Tickets for race day alone are far too expensive, and then there is travel, and other costs too. I think I’ll stick to watching it on TV!

12. Robert Hambidge says:

I assume Bernie thinks that everyone has money to burn! I went on a general admission ticket 3 years ago and found the viewing areas very very poor. If you go you really need a seat and then the cost escalates for a family of four. We can combine a Tuscan holiday with a Moto GP at Mugello for little more, and get better racing to boot. I feel sorry for the circuit owners, but I think BE may have throttled the golden goose.

1. franed says:

You see the problem is that most of the people he meets, actually do!

It’s many years since I could afford to go. You have too pay for parking too now? We used to camp in the car park for 3 days then get the barbie on at going home time, it used to take 2 hours to empty the car park and roads, then we drove out clear having eaten. Mind it was later in the year then and rain less likely. We always sat in the middle stand at Stowe which is now £235 for 3 days but sold out.
      Being later in the year we used to get swarms of harvest/barley flies which caused an involuntary Mexican wave as they travelled through the stands.

13. Peetee says:

I’ve been to Silverstone every year for the past 10 years at least but I’m boycotting it this year for one reason – price. £145 Sunday general admission – ridiculous. This gives me the chance to go to other events starting with DTM at Brands this month so it’s not all bad. Will I be back? Probably, but you have to make a protest or how will they know how we feel.

1. iceman says:

Yes quite. For £170 you can go to every event at Brands Hatch for the rest of the year.

14. Well says:

Why people call this a good circuit, no one knows. Actually, I know…nostalgia. And of course because it is British.

Boring track to drive around (I have yes, and I do not mean on a computer game), overtaking is even worse than on the new Tilke tracks, very xenophobic atmosphere.

Drop it from the list and add a proper circuit like Turkey.

1. Gazza says:

Perhaps its because 127,00 people turned up to Silverstone and only 36,000 to the last Turkish GP.

Quite why you think being British as anything to do with it I don’t know.

Bernie goes where the money is.

Regarding the atmosphere being xenophobic, what a load of rubbish. It has the most cosmopolitan bunch of fans I have ever experienced.

1. Matt says:

I’ve been to nine different Grand Prix circuits over the years and the atmosphere at Silverstone is as good, if not better than the others – and that includes Monza, Montreal, Melbourne Singapore and Monaco.

15. Quade says:

Better tyres will do the trick.

16. Rach says:

I’ll be at quali on the Saturday but not the race. I’m not a fan of silverstone as a viewing circuit and tend to save my money and go to Spa, Monza or Le Mans.

I can do a whole weekend at spa with there general admission being far superior to silverstone. This weekend would cost me the same for 2 grandstand tickets with my husband to silverstone.

In terms of silverstone I used to love copse but they closed that off and made it more expensive for example. I also used to love club as a general admission viewpoint but obviously that has gone with the new developments. Really you have to go in a grandstand to get full value and in honesty I can attend events abroad for a similar price.

17. Steph says:

I’ve been every year since 1999 and I’m not about to stop for a bit of mud. Yes it is expensive but it’s not the most expensive by any means. Grandstand tickets at Spa are dearer plus you don’t get a roving seat. Viewing options are far superior than at other circuits plus the atmosphere is amazing – no-ne does a GP like the Brits.

18. Craig says:

Could it also be because of the TV situation? I’ve been watching less and less F1 after the extended highlights started last year to such an extent now that I don’t really watch F1 anymore, even the races that are shown live free on the BBC.

Whereas previously I might have considered going to SIlverstone nowadays I don’t even consider it. I find the politics and technical side much more fascinating than the actual racing.

1. Doug says:

Hi Craig,

I’m still a die hard fan, but a lot of my friends who used to watch the free to air races as part of a Sunday ritual do seem to have lost interest.
      I think you’re certainly right that the loss of FTA TV in the UK has led to a significant loss of fans, and this, combined with the high prices & last years mess has resulted in Silverstone gasping for sales.

2. Terry says:

I’m the same. I used to get excited for days before a race weekend. This year? I thought Silverstone was this weekend.

I’ve noticed in the free newspapers that there are almost never any F1 articles anymore. Last year and the start of this season there’d be 2-3 a week maybe. I haven’t seen one in over a month.

19. Mr. Esteban says:

Pricey. The USGP has 3-day General Admission for less than £110…

20. Dai Dactic says:

Not for me – too much of an expensive, box-ticking, ‘I-was-there’ exercise compounded by transport hassles!

Last time I attended a Grand Prix – not Silverstone – was in the 1960s! I was a track marshal and a Brabham BT20 won – very same chassis that was in the Donington Collection up until a few years ago.

Nothing beats being literally metres from the machinery in action – so the memory remains undiminished and the remote but all-encompassing TV experience suits me fine these days.

21. Warren says:

I’ve now given in and bought the tickets for me and my son.i have to say its now becoming an issue to justify the costs.we have to go general admission and lug around the fold up chairs.the fist time we went the whole experience was better,there were extra stands from manufacturers including the excellent BMW fan park and Mercedes stands etc all this including the after show party from well known bands made it good value for money for the whole weekend.the concrete stands like the farm enclosure ensured a good guaranteed seat without being penned in like the new stands and had good viewing of the track.this year also sees the loss of kangaroo tv which we found handy to keep up with the action on track.i love F1 and will no doubt still get the buzz of being there,,but its loosing the fan experience which is quite sad.

22. The Catman says:

Never been to the British GP, and never will due to the cost, but I am considering going to the Young Driver Test now that it is going to be at Silverstone again this year.

Okay, it’s not racing, but as mentioned above how much racing do you actually see at the GP, and you’ll probably see more cars doing more laps than raceday? Last chance to hear the V8′s as well….

TC

23. Oliver W says:

Blame Bernie not the BRDC. The crazy fee that has to be paid to run the British GP creates the problem. Silverstone have to make a profit and the cost per minute is about 40% less than going to an Arsenal game as mentioned by another person.
    Bet they have a good year this year and I wish them best of luck.

1. Tony says:

Not sure where that comparison with Arsenal came from but I’d like to put the record straight. Cheapest seat at Emirates for a top flight game = £62 for 95 minutes = 65p/min (lesser games e.g. league cup, are much cheaper), cheapest seat for Silverstone F1 Race = £230 for at most 120 minutes = £1.91/min. Of course you can get entry without a seat at Silverstone but that is still £145 = £1.20/min.
      I doubt there is ANY sporting event with ticket pricing to match the British F1 Grand Prix.

1. Oliver W says:

Sorry i was not clear as I was taking GP2, GP3 and other support races into account. The whole show not just theF1 race.
        For those on start finish line you get a good 45 mins watching the teams come onto the grid preparing for the race plus seeing people like Bernie,Brundle etc doing their stuff. All great entertainment.
        The GP is fairly priced care of its overheads while few meetings do make a profit, the BRDC have check the GP does.
        I can save £230 over the year and then have a lovely time surrounded by other enthusiasts also enjoying themselves. Bring it on. Stop wingeing I say!

24. John says:

My reasons for not going are:
    1. Ticket prices have got outrageous
    2. Paying massive money to park a car
    3. General admission areas are hopelessly low with no gradient, especially when the circuit is flat as a pancake.
    4. Circuit length too long now, less laps for your money.
    5. PA system in GA areas is poor.

25. "Martin" says:

I reckon I can drive to Monaco and back, buy £30 ticket, and it would still be cheaper then Silverstone ! (I live in Kent).
    Staying overnight might be bit tricky, if alone I can sleep in my estate car, otherwise tent somewhere. I could ask DC for spot in the cellar of his hotel, or, wait a min., I just discovered that my childhood friend has, apart from 2 private jets and 5 other planes, an apartment in MC ! He says he doesn’t go there for the GP because it’s chaos. I hinted that I might like to borrow it, but…,oh well, there is always next year.

My first Grand Prix was in July 1968 in Brands Hatch, and I think I have been to all of them when they were at BH.
    The last time I was at Silverstone GP, was 1991, but only because I was racing in the morning (which cost me £000′s).
    Regards,
    Martin

26. Suzanne Tait says:

We’ve been six times in the last seven years but I agree with comment number 8 its not the rain that’s keeping us away its the disgraceful treatment the fans received over the weekend. Monza here we come.

27. Helenka says:

I wouldn’t mind going to silverstone one day, however I would rather spend the money on going abroad where you are more or less guaranteed hot weather. Thats why last year I went to valencia and this year I am going to Barcelona. (Also with Barcelona offering a brilliant deal on group on it was very difficult to turn down!)
    We are also planning a road trip to Spa, possibly due to the tickets being less pricey than Silverstone, and the fact that it is a legendary track and I want to see Eua Rouge!
    (Yes I know Silverstone is a legendary track too!)

1. Sebee says:

I like your thinking!

Monza and Spa used to be back to back some years, so it was possible to do a 2-for-1 Euro vacation where you would have some heat down in Italy, perhaps go to Venice or some other nice place in-between, then off to Spa via Karpen Schumi carting centre of course. :-)

One of the best F1/Hot weather combos we ever did was to go to Brazil. Arrive Thursday, enjoy Interlagos, and Monday go to Rio for a few days and enjoy the weather. Fantastic!

28. Robert says:

I am not attending. I live about 15 miles away from Silverstone. I will be attending Monaco.

My reason. I hate the location of the Silverstone Wing. It has placed the pit lane about 50 metres further away from fans. More than ever, the location has reinforced a them and us scenario. I just hate this. It looks great on TV, but I just don’t enjoy it in person.

Given that Saturday qualifying is now a complete waste of time with teams trying to avoid setting a time in Q3 and Friday being a cold bore fest if it is damp; I have decided that I have better ways of spending my money. A 10€ Beer in Rascasse Bar looks good value in comparison !

29. Richard D says:

Clearly cost is a significant factor and there is one thing mainly responsible for that; the ridiculously high price Bernie Ecclestone charges circuits for allowing his circus to roll in! Can’t understand why he wants to make so much money when he has more that he can possibly spend even with his two daughters spending it like water. Come on Bernie reduce the price!

30. mayhemfunkster says:

I have gone on and off since 1997, and done all weekend for the last 4 years straight.

I am going to Monza this year instead – proving its not *just* money.

It is expensive, but the memory of last year does still burn bright and more than the weather, it is the attitude that it is a *suprise* to the circuit that all those people turn up, a *suprise* that it rains in July, and a *suprise* that cars get stuck in waterlogged fields that makes me want to pass.

Did they not hold their first F1 race in 1950? They use being suprised as an excuse. They have seen it all before.

“We only need this parking capacity for one weekend a year” isn’t an excuse either. They fought for the event, Simply provide the facilities.

The NEC in Birmingham has masses of empty car parks all year, but at a big event it is a breeze to get in and out. Why? Investment and organisation.

Most of the traffic problems on Friday and Saturday in 2012 were caused by traffic staff directing all cars to arrive at the main car park entrance (“Abbey Roundabout” on Dadford Road), then let them randomly cross paths to get into either the hard standing parks or the perimeter road. If they just forced traffic into car parks and let perimeter road access in at the Luffield “old entrance” or something it would have improved things 100%.

Also, still no new toilets to meet the demand at the new loop after what 3 years? It stops being funny when you are paying £350 for a weekend to pee in a copse with 200 other men because there is only one block of temporary toilets for 2000-odd seats.

Indeed, the method of getting to the new loop still feels haphazard, wandering over farm bridge or downa little path onto the old circuit at Bridge corner before going up a little path to the infield.

It is also the little things like directly after the GP, as thousands try to leave, the security urks stop said thousands fleeing the gates for an occasional car to pass by the perimeter road. Talk about the wrong priority at the wrong time!

This leads me to believe that Silverstone consistently focuses on the wrong things when it comes to getting people in and out of the car parks and circuit. And they don’t seem to learn. The situation does not improve year on year. Indeed, even disregarding weather, The situation has deteriorated since about 2010 in my estimation, with a insistence on forcing cars down to said roundabout on Dadford Road instead of just getting any car into any car park it arrives at, as long as their is space.

But at least The Wing looks nice…

1. J says:

This is what would stop me from going. Having to drive and wait in endless lines. Having to deal with witless security. Once you have a bad experience or two I can see how it’s hard to give them another chance.

In Montreal we took the Metro/subway in. There were crowds but they were moving quickly enough. Went through the gate and that was it. Easy access to seats and washrooms and food. Brought in our own beers. Walked the track after the race and by the time we left most of the lines back to the city had dwindled. Great experience.

31. Andrew says:

Not going this year, had a three day pass last year and Friday year before. Was hoping to go Friday this year but can’t afford it. It’s just too expensive

32. Ron W says:

Yep, price is the issue. I spent £160 the other weekend where both my Dad and I blasted around two versions of Anglesey circuit for an entire day. This is by far and away better than watching :) Having said that, I was at Round 1 of British GT (£25) at Oulton a few weeks ago and will no doubt be at BSB on Monday. Silverstone does nothing for me though.

33. Steve C says:

Gave up going once they stopped the centre transfer option just because one idiot made it on to the track to protest. Very weak excuse from the Silverstone management but it keeps the centre for the elite now which is what they prefer.

1. Ben G says:

Agreed. The race reeks of ‘them and us’, so I won’t be going anymore. It feels like you need a pass just to take a pee sometimes.

34. Craig in Manila says:

How many tickets are they “down” this year compared to last ? Seems to be no mention in the article.

100,000 ?
    10,000 ?
    1,000 ?
    100 ?

They should just create a media campaign saying that “this year might be the last one as Bernie [mod] wants too much money”.

Everyone will then suddenly decide that they HAVE to attend as there might not be another chance. Melbourne has been doing it for years and it works a treat.

35. Alex Towers says:

I was going to go this year but it’s the same day as Bruce Springsteen at the Olympic Park and frankly no one, not even F1, beats the boss!

1. Doug says:

We’ll pretend we didn’t hear that! :-D

2. Sebee says:

Is he the last F1 champion to be born in the U.S.A.?

36. Mike says:

Trouble is – we all know they have a contract to hold the race until 2017.

37. JW1980 says:

Still debating whether to go. Money is not the issue for me but the familiarity. In other words the winner will be either a Red Bull driver or Alonso as has been the case since 2009.
    I will only be going on Sunday this year if I do go.
    Another problem is that the British GP does not seem to have a confirmed date until December. More often than not in my place of work those dates are already taken by someone. Not Silverstone’s fault but its frustrating when considering that other sport events I would like to attend in 2014/15 and even 2016 already have dates published.

38. F1 Bobby says:

Price is too high and it’s so crowded I found it hard to relax and enjoy the day with general admission tickets.

If I ever go back to Silverstone it would be with grandstand tickets but the price is excessive.

I was also disappointed that at Silverstone the drivers do a parade lap on the back of a truck (which I missed trying to find somewhere to stand) whereas at Barcelona they all toured round slowly in these beautiful classic cars.

39. F1 Bobby says:

One other thought, I paid £25 for WEEKEND tickets to BTCC at Donny the other weekend, incredible value for money given the support programme and the action is always good.

40. Gul says:

Cant afford it. in this day and age its a luxury for the likes of me.

41. Waleran says:

The cost of watching a two hour race, with few additional attractions, is my reason for stopping going.

When Silverstone signed the F1 contract up to 2017 they agreed an annual increment in the fees paid to Bernie and his cronies which was far in excess of any likely inflation.

Presumably Silverstone were confident that they could just charge the fans more and more each year.

Well the fans are beginning to bite back and there’s still five years to go on the contract.

42. Monktonnik says:

I have to say that I went to the 2010 Grand Prix at Silverstoneand I thought it was fantastic.

Admittedly it was sunny, but I went on all three days using a variety of methods to get there (parked on Friday, motorbike on saturday and park and ride on Sunday) and it was all easy and straight forward.

I think that the whole weekend cost me around £1,000 including fuel, hotels, nights out etc. and it was totally worth it.

Yes, they should sort out the car parking as every other year it does rain, but it really is a grat experience and well worth the money.

The only reason I am not going is that I live in Australia!

43. JR says:

A proportion of the loss of interest in the race has to be put down to Sky’s entry in F1 broadcasting.

UK unique TV viewers were down 16.93% last year, and even Sky alone are currently down 17% on last years audience already this year.

Less people watching races on TV has to equate in some way to less interest in attending races.

44. ianb says:

I attended Silverstone last year and it was a bit of a mess. Don’t get me wrong, when I eventually got the the circuit the qualifying and the actual race were great, but it took so long to get there, (by official bus), that I was only at the circuit for about 3 hours on the Saturday and not much more on the Sunday. Very expensive for 3 hours per day.
    I was tempted to go again this year, but after last year’s experience I have decided to go to Goodwood instead and just watch the British GP on TV, (BBC, of course).

45. John M Edwards says:

I have attended the British grand Prix since 1965 at the various venues but the prices are beyond my reach now for the equivalent of £111 I can get a 3 day pass at the the American race in Austin. All of us in the office would got the grand prix but with the situation and the way this government is making us all poorer at the moment none of us can afford to go. I wrote to Silverstone about the prices [even included a stamped address envelope for a reply]but they didn’t even have the decency to respond probably to busy counting there money. This is huge disappointment to me but maybe Bernie needs more [mod]

John M Edwards

46. Cortez says:

Sorry. Outrageous ticket pricing and the loss of free-to-air across the whole calendar means I have switched my primary allegiance to MotoGP. F1 is now a secondary interest. Going to my first two-wheel GP this year.

[mod]

1. JR says:

moto gp looks to be heading totally behind a pay wall for next season.

47. Brett Williams says:

I’m going, will be spending a bit over a month in the UK (coming from Australia) based on Cambridge. MegaBus have pretty cheap tickets to take me to & from Silverstone on both the Saturday & Sunday so I’m really not that worried about the potential transport snares.

48. Luke says:

Would be an absolute dream for me and my 2 and a half year old to attend first GP but the price is out of this world.

Was thinking of taking him to Friday practice to let him see a few hours of on track action but if i spend £70 or whatever it is for tickets and i’m stuck in a 16 mile traffic jam i think we’d both be crying!

The BRDC are making it extremely clear what calibre of people they want there and at the moment my young (and very passionate about F1!!) family don’t fit in their bracket.

Massive shame, think of all the future Sennas, Stewarts and Schumachers they could be restricting from attending. Shows what this sport is about now…

££££ (I’ll stick with the BTCC!)

49. Linda says:

I won’t be attending this year’s race not because of ticket prices but purely because I hate the way F1 is now with the DRS & Pirelli tyres.

These artificial gimmicks have killed my 35 year love of F1 & I’ve no interest in attending another race until DRS is banned & Pirelli start providing Race-able tyres.

1. Linda says:

Also every member of my family & most of the friends I used to attend & watch races with feel the same.

My youngest son has stopped watching F1 altogether.

So thats 24 people who won’t be attending F1 races anymore & who won’t be watching races on TV after many years of doing so.

50. tobinen says:

I am going this year for the first time with 4 friends. We are camping for 3 nights from Thursday so we’re there for the duration. I view it as a mini-holiday. No, it’s not cheap (£250 each) but on the other hand I view it as a long weekend break with F1 thrown in.

Personally I can’t wait and I really hope the weather is kinder this year!

51. velvet says:

I live in the Channel Islands and its much cheaper for me to go to Spa than it is to British GP. Even more, you can get tickets to the Indy 500 Race for about the same price as a ticket for Friday practice at Silverstone. Wimbledon is on the same week so I’m spending my weekend there instead and it’s cheaper.

52. Rich says:

If you want to do the full weekend with a certain level of luxury, as in have a seat in a stand and stay in a camp site near the track, it does start to add up. For that same kind of money you could get a week in the Med. My last visit was in 2009, it may have been just that, my last.

53. Ben says:

Travelling doing the grandprixs from Australia. Paid $1000 aus to get sat and Sunday tickets at casino square and high k. Just about $600 australian would only get me a seat at a slow corner, much less value for money. Frankly it’s a rip off even for such an event. 170 pound for Sunday general admission is a absolute joke. I’m no tight arse but I don’t believe in paying for a Ferrari and only recieving a ford focus.

54. Gavin Smith says:

£165 3 days and thats just for general admission i understand they rely on money from this event but for me general admission ticket should be about £100 for raceday and £120 for 3 day

55. Darran Davenport says:

At £750 this year for a family of four plus £145 campsite fee for three days,Silverstone and local campsites have priced us out. Ten family and friends have been going since 2008,this year zero! Looks like Spa next year.

56. Barbara says:

Going to be our last Silverstone. Tickets so expensive that this year we are going to sit in the open. Pay for three days and then cannot even sit in grandstands as they are saved for corporate guests. Yet we are told we have a roving ticket for Friday and Saturday. Even camping getting expensive £165 for 4 days. Cannot help the weather but can make it more affordable.

57. Colin says:

Great circuit, better than Monza, not as good as Spa. Price has always been an issue. It’s never going to cheap now. Fans favourites ‘McLaren’ not doing so well at the start of the season and well now will not be helping ticket sales.

58. morna burdon says:

Far too dear – just greed or so rich that they are totally detached from real world finances of people. Also, if wanting to sell tickets I suggest a big heading at the top of the sight that says “TICKETS” so people can easily access how to but them? I still cant find Ticket Saleson this site. was going to buy a ticket as a present – too dear and not easy to do.

59. Paul Hayes says:

We r doing spa this year and got ferry 3 days camping 3 days circuit pass for £255 each!!! And they wonder why u wud rather go abroad… Bring on Belgium.

1. Nic H says:

Just got back from my first grand prix @ silverstone and it was amazing….cost wise we expected it – it’s once a year and considered a special treat for me and my mom. But would love to go abroad to watch more grands prix. Where did you book spa this year (possibly next year for us) for so cheap? If we continue going to the races, want to save as much as possible. Do let me know, thanks.

1. Paul Hayes says:

We booked everything separate, ferry from hull to zeebrugge £96 each, eau rouge campsite £50 each and ticket we booked soon as calendar came out which saved us about £40 each for early booking £95 each, so all in all after postage and booking fee it was £255 each which we thought was a good deal.. It is only 2hrs to circuit from ferry so an easy drive down hope this all helps and u manage to get booked for nxt year..