Posted on November 19, 2012
Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 14.14.12

I’m delighted to announce that we will be publishing the new review of the year: JA on F1 2012 – The Year of Living Dangerously” on December 7th.

But from today you can pre-order your copy by clicking on this link JA on F1 Book

The book is a large format paperback, 248 pages with 8 pages of stunning colour photos by Darren Heath and costs just £10.99. All copies ordered through the JA on F1 website will be signed personally by me and sent out on December 7th.

This is the fourth year we have produced this book and, as it’s a limited edition print run, it usually sells out quickly so pre-ordering is recommended.

As always we’ve listened carefully to reader feedback from last year’s book so, for those of you who have been with me the whole way through this year – or even the last four years – I hope you will find this a cool collectable. We produce one every year so you can build the series. It’s a great way to look back at the key stories which shaped the season.

Featuring a mixture of original posts from the JA on F1 site plus extensive new retrospective content, it offers unique behind the scene insights into the tumultuous 2012 season, which saw eight different race winners and a tense fight for the world drivers’ championship.

It’s been a wonderful season of F1 and the JA on F1 2012 book shows the arc of the key stories of the year – a “year of living dangerously” in events both on and off the track.

We chart all the exciting stories of the year: the developments that led Lewis Hamilton to quit McLaren for Mercedes, the crashes involving Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado, the power struggle behind the scenes leading to a new Concorde Agreement, it’s all in here.

There is plenty of thoughtful analysis on all areas of the sport, including the risks of too many pay drivers and the lengths teams will go to, when the going gets tough in a championship battle.

And readers will find plenty of behind the scenes colour on the everyday soap opera of life in F1 from a reliable witness who lives it 24/7.

With a foreword by outgoing BBC F1 presenter Jake Humphrey this book is a great way to commemorate an unforgettable season.

Tags:
Announcing the new JA on F1 2012 book: “The Year of Living Dangerously”
98 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: Grant
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

I love the book cover.

Wayne Reply:

Me too ;)

Congratulations, JA, on what I assume will be another great book and what I know has been another great year for this website.

Thanks.

NRG Reply:

Reminds me of those classic Blue Note record covers. Lewis looks almost cool enough to be a jazz musician.

Miha Bevc Reply:

My first choice for the cover photo would be all 6 champions together, since this is the only season we witnessed something like that (I know 2010 cover was similar, but still).

My second choice would be world champion, whoever will be.
    But hey, Hamilton certainly made some headlines this year.

I’m pre-ordering my copy this very moment and I already have previous three editions!

Sebee Reply:

Wondering what the logic of the cover was. Past James books have always featured the actual champion on the cover. Lewis isn’t even top 3.

Seán Craddock Reply:

he might be top 3! And the logic of the cover is surely the big move of Hamilton to Mercedes

dufus Reply:

Agreed, why the fascination with Hamilton ?
    If it’s because of Hamilton to Mercedes that’s hardly a reason to be on the cover.

Surely Adrian Newey should be on the cover James ? He’s had more influence on the results than anyone.

I’m sure the book is a good read anyway, just don’t understand the man-love for Hamilton.

Tom Reply:

Totally agree. The official 2012 season review book also has Hamilton in the front and I can’t understand why…

James Allen Reply:

His decision this year is momentous, let’s face it

Peter Freeman Reply:

But for reliability, he would be leading the championship. In leaving McLaren for Merc, he may be shifting the balance of power in the pecking order of F1 teams. (That or he may just be driving 2 and 3 stoppers in the mid/rear field as Merc continue their journey toward fighting Caterham and Marussia at the back)

JJ Steinert Reply:

Newey on the cover…seriously??? I think they want to actually sell the book. He might be a talented technical manager/designer, but he’s about the most unattractive person involved in F1 (aside from Bernie of course)

Grant Reply:

There’s just something very special about Lewis.
    Hard to define, but there nonetheless..

Seb Reply:

Is this the man-love that dufus is talking about? I think the hip terms kids are using now adays is bromance.

:-)

2.   2. Posted By: Anil
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Fantastic. Ordering at the earliest opportunity!

James Allen Reply:

Good man. Spread the word!!

Anil Reply:

of course! I will be buying 2 copies actually, one for myself and another as a gift.

It’s been such a great season for a variety of reasons so I’m looking forward to seeing your analysis of it all. Can’t believe how quickly the season has flown by, that Spa weekend seems as though it was just yesterday!

3.   3. Posted By: Gamal Liranzo
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

James, like with every of your books, I will order it as soon as the book is available on Amazon.com.

Gamal Liranzo T.
    From the Dominican Republic.

James Allen Reply:

OK but be aware it won’t be signed if you get it via Amazon

4.   4. Posted By: Ricky Seymour
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

Will be my third JA #F1 book. Previous two have been fantastic so I assume this can only be epic with this seasons results.

5.   5. Posted By: F12012
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

I love reading what goes on behind the scenes in F1, when you find out, everything then makes sense

Cool cover with the man that really does drive on the edge

Brilliant the way he hunted down webber and vettel

I wish F1 would scrap these podium interviews, the press conference was far better

Blade Runner Reply:

Could not agree more. +200%

The podium interviews are just not “right” it may be good for the fans at the events but could they not be shown the press conference via the huge TV displays that feature at most tracks?

Bring back the Press Conference and the McLaren “stiff” suits, we need a petition. James?

rey cruz Reply:

nice cover featuring RAY CHARLES

Seán Craddock Reply:

Here here! The podium is terrible now. Webber hit out last week about it (finally someone said it). The flags are just ridiculous, it’s not right not having flags flapping in the wind.

And what was with Andretti yesterday? I know it’s a new track and all, but it was overkill. The only question he asked was about the circuit, same question to all 3 drivers! I want to hear about the race!

6.   6. Posted By: rob
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Feel like shipping (or bringing) one to Dubai?

7.   7. Posted By: athanasios
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

as a graphic designer I have to say that the cover is excellent, great simple formatting, very strong colours. Have to ask though, will the cover change depending on who becomes champion, or is it Hamilton only?

Miha Bevc Reply:

As a creative director in an advertising agency I agree art direction is perfect, but I don’t think the photo represents this season as good as 2009, 2010 and 2011 editions. Sorry James, I’m sure content is as perfect as always.

8.   8. Posted By: Pete
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

Are previous years’ editions available to buy still?

James Allen Reply:

Not really. They sold out. Maybe the odd copy here and there. Which year did you miss?

Pete Reply:

I’m actually a relative newbie to the site (which is great, by the way) so I’m missing all of them :-)

Not to worry, I’ll start from 2012!

Miha Bevc Reply:

Try eBay, you should find something sooner or later. I have two copies of 2011 if you want one …

F458 Reply:

check amazon

9.   9. Posted By: Morales
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

Great! But James, any chance you will be releasing an electronic edition?

Morales Reply:

No need to answer that. thanks, great job!

Not at this stage.

10.   10. Posted By: Canadian Fan
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I’d would like to order a copy. Will you be shipping to Canada and/or the rest of North America?

James Allen Reply:

Yes, anywhere in the world

Tracy Powell Reply:

Oh! I’ll get to ordering then!

11.   11. Posted By: Vinola
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

Just ordered…shipping to the US costs nearly as much as the book:)..looking forward to it.

12.   12. Posted By: Gary Neville
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

Cracking cover. If it’s anything like the previous years books I’m going to enjoy my Christmas present to myself. :)

13.   13. Posted By: jack
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Ordered. Love the cover.

Thanks

14.   14. Posted By: Mike from Colombia
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

James, I remember that from 2010 you added your top 5 drivers list.

At the end of the season , could you also come out with your opinion on?:

a) Top 5 cars of 2012
    b) Top 5 team performance of 2012

Would love to have these in your yearbooks going forward so that I can look back at these lists in years to come.

Best wishes from Colombia

James Allen Reply:

Yes, will be doing that, of course early next month

Usually do as a competition with 5 people who pick same top five getting a signed book.

15.   15. Posted By: Jimbo
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

Hi James, great to see the release of the new book, incredible drama right from the start and continues to deliever so much.

One thing I find surprising right now is there seems to be a lack of current generation driver books. Whether it’s Autobiographies, biographies, or even a nice photographic production looking back on a career so far.

While I loathe sportsman releasing books less than 3 years into their professions, I do think it’s a bit of a shame that to my mind, there’s not really any around in F1, apart from the Brits of Hamilton and Button.

But after a decade in the sport, still no sign of probably the two best ‘young’ drivers of the 00s, Alonso and Raikkonen. More than enough content from the pair of them to form fasinating books. Both now at the peak of their powers with strong fan bases all over the World. I’m sure there might be the odd book in their own languages, but in my opinion, we’re overdue some really good English based books. Vettel as well some point in the future will be a target as well for publishers.

It can’t surely be down to lack of interest. Is it more a case of waiting until a career finishes, or no one just hasn’t simply not decided to go down that route?

Hope we see something come up in the next few years. Maybe something to consider in the future James, if no one else does!

Gul Reply:

I know right! Would love to hear about those contract negotiations! Especially Lewis vs McLaren!

16.   16. Posted By: Freddan
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

Is this book only for UK citizents?

James Allen Reply:

No, we can send it anywhere in the world

17.   17. Posted By: Martin B
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

Excellent news, I love these books and have bought them each year since the first. Last year’s book means more to me as it has one of my comments on the back!

I’d also like to add my weight of opinion behind the cover design, it looks great.

Good work.

18.   18. Posted By: Endless
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Brilliant cover, will definitely be ordering a copy or two!

19.   19. Posted By: Gul
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Love that cover too! With a glimpse of the Merc logo on Lewis’s kit :)
    Going to my xmas wish list (signed copy off course!)
    Is there a reason you chose Lewis JA?

James Allen Reply:

Great image, he sums up the season of living dangerously Lots of reasons

20.   20. Posted By: Sarvar
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Have done a pre-order.
    Hope this time it is gonna be delivered to my Canadian adress on time unlike the previous one made me await 4 months to get it to Moscow address:))).

James Allen Reply:

I can assure you that wasn’t our delay!!

21.   21. Posted By: TimeShif
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I am living in Vietnam. How can I get one, James? I am really exciting in your book.

James Allen Reply:

Just order it, no problem

TimeShift Reply:

I have just ordered your book without filling the country input box due to no Vietnam selection. Just provided postcode which is 70000 and my address. I hope that everything will be ok :) . Thank you very much for your great effort of writing the book.

22.   22. Posted By: FerrariFan
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

Hi James,
    Sorry this is totally unrelated. I read your biography of Schumacher recently. It was a great read and it gave the human side of my childhood hero. I would be really interested to read a similar work on Alonso. Are you planning anything in future?

James Allen Reply:

He’d be the one if I were to do anything, but no plans

Miha Bevc Reply:

Wait another couple of years until Alonso finishes his career, but then, if anyone, you should be the first to write it. And translate in into Spanish.

Quick Nick Rules Reply:

A quick question James – when Schumi announced his return in Dec 2009 I remember you saying that ‘a new chapter will need to be written in the biography I wrote of him, The Edge of Greatness.’ I presume there are no plans to write this chapter, and indeed is this not the most damning indictment of Schumi’s comeback, that indeed there was not enough of note to justify a new chapter, let alone a new book?

It could be argued that the biggest news story of the whole 3 years of Schumi’s comeback actually had very little to do with the great man – Lewis Hamilton signing as his replacement – certainly the biggest F1 story of 2012, as you have acknowledged by making it your cover story.

CarlH Reply:

I’ve also read the Schumacher biography recently, I’d be over the moon if you did one on Alonso.

I’ve looked high and low for an in-depth book on Alonso but had no success.

James Allen Reply:

A complex and misunderstood person, like Schumacher and Mansell with whom I’ve done several successful books.

Problem with books, though, is that they are so time consuming to produce and I’m very time poor!

23.   23. Posted By: mAc
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

Ordered immediately to add to the ever expanding motorsport library. May there be many more years of J.A. signed copies to come. Thank you for all the hard work throughout this season.
    Cheers.

Thanks for your support

24.   24. Posted By: Spyros
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

Just ordered it. Unfortunately I didn’t get the previous ones (despite checking-in regularly since the site was launched) but better late than never I suppose, and the way this season went, it’s a no-brainer.

I’m looking forward to it!

25.   25. Posted By: Hal
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

For some reason never got round to buying it last year. Probably because not a really interesting season. Ordered this one though. Looking forward to it.

James, mentioned before by someone, but would be interested in iPad editions (especially interactive ones where you could have interviews etc). No rush.

26.   26. Posted By: Craig D
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

I’ll have to get this. Too goo a collectors item and something to read when I’m old and in a home haha!!!

I bought 2010 and 2011 but decided against 2009 at the time. Regret that now as don’t have the set!

27.   27. Posted By: Seán Craddock
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Brilliant cover James, and great to have a forward from Jake Humphrey before he leaves the sport.

Can’t wait to get my copy from the Shell Roadtrip competition! Thanks again! And it’s being published on my birthday and all! Awesome :)

Moreharm Reply:

Just ordered the book out here in Canada. Shipping was a bit steep at £8.50 and I’ll probably end up paying import duty on it. Probably would have been cheaper on amazon, but having it signed by JA is worth the extra cost and hassle

Will by first JA book and my second Darren Heath book; the first being the ‘Art of Racing’.

Looking forward to it.

28.   28. Posted By: Cliff
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Hi James,

Perfect timing, that’s the christmas reading sorted!

29.   29. Posted By: John
        Date: November 19th, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

I do enjoy your coverage and annual book. However, Vettel should be on the cover. An extraordinary achievment this season.

30.   30. Posted By: Paul
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Ordered – looking forward to it as a daily follower of your blog. Xmas present to self… :-)

31.   31. Posted By: leeschumi
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Fantastic James and Well done! I will buy myself a xmas present most definately:) James how can i bribe you to sign my Edge of Greatness book…….TOP READ by a TOP AUTHOR!!!!!

Email me at james@jamesallenonf1.com

[Reply]

32.   32. Posted By: Daniel G.
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 3:17 am

I have all your books and my only complain is that you are improving the books by the year and the first one, which was the last great season of my favorite driver, Rubens Barrichello, is obviously the most ‘dry’ one in terms of “new” content.

Anyway, thanks a lot for giving us this opportunity. I’ll order it ASAP.

33.   33. Posted By: Mike J
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 3:40 am

Ordered mine last evening. Really enjoyed your first three editions James and no doubt, this will be great reading as well.
    Hopefully this one will arrive before Xmas to Australia as last years didn’t. Maybe it(you) got too popular!!
    The cover and title is a surprise (i wouldn’t have picked that) however i am sure it fits with the content. Good luck with it.

34.   34. Posted By: Nick
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 4:17 am

Ordered.. I have been waiting some what patiently for the pre-ordering to be annouced. Looking forward to a good read.

35.   35. Posted By: Chill
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 6:24 am

Haunting imagery – I must have this book

36.   36. Posted By: Elie
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 9:36 am

Just ordered one James. I only discovered this site last year & already it’s one of my favourites. Might even try to track down a few previous years books.

It has been a great year for F1. I think Raikkonen’s comeback and Lotus ‘ reprise is a big one too.I hope the book answers some questions about Hamilton and Mclaren and possibly even some comments of mine which were spot on especially regarding Hamilton & his move. (ok only some ha)

Best of luck with this & judging by some of the comments already, it should prove successful. Cheers

37.   37. Posted By: monktonnik
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Stupid question, but I don’t suppose there are any copies of last year’s book available for purchase still?

James Allen Reply:

It sold out but there may be the odd one in warehouse. One or two people have asked so I’ll check with distributor

monktonnik Reply:

Thanks!

38.   38. Posted By: Eleanore
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 11:58 am

Any chance we can pre-order to the States, James?

39.   39. Posted By: Dave Aston
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

Hey James Allen, how much editing do you have to do to the book after the final race? I would guess the tone of reporting any of the season’s races would change a little once there is a title winner.

James Allen Reply:

Some. It’s quite a careful operation in anticipation of the fine round. Was easier last year when it was all done in October, but then there was less demand for the book because the story of the season wasn’t so compelling

Dave Aston Reply:

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Maybe you should write four or five different complete books as the season progresses, and just release whichever is relevant once we have a champion. I’ve heard writing books is really, really easy.

Ps, love your work, I have The Edge Of Greatness, and the Nigel book, which I got second hand for $8 in 1999. I saw it recently in a motoring bookshop in Sydney for $85! The website was excellent again all year, really balanced and informative. But man, I wish you were still doing the TV commentary too…

40.   40. Posted By: Baart1980
        Date: November 20th, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

James, the 10 people who got into the top ten of your competition will get the book ?

James Allen Reply:

Yes, that’s correct. We’ll send it to you

Baart1980 Reply:

That`s great ! Thank You.

madmax Reply:

Who’s hands were they in the picture??

41.   41. Posted By: Spacejunk
        Date: November 21st, 2012 @ 11:27 am

Well, I’ve ordered mine. Can’t wait to get my hands on it. It’s has proven to be a brilliant read in the past.

I got last years and managed a month ago to buy the 2010 book [just reading it now].

So happy that this year’s book is a lot cheaper. The last 2 cost me 10 quid plus 20 quid for postage [in Australian dollars that equates to nearly $50].

For this year’s book, the postage has been reduced by 50%.

Thanks James!!

42.   42. Posted By: Bruce Tran
        Date: November 23rd, 2012 @ 3:00 am

Hi, James

I want to get it, but how can I order if I’m from Vietnam – the country that isn’t on the country list of the delivering?

Please, let me know James. Thanks!

Try Customer.services@grandprixlegends.com

If they cannot help you, then there is always the Amazon option but book will be unsigned.

43.   43. Posted By: Bruce Tran
        Date: November 23rd, 2012 @ 7:46 am

Thank you so much! I’ll try.

44.   44. Posted By: ed24f1
        Date: November 25th, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting it again!

But I was just wondering why Hamilton was chosen as the cover photo?

45.   45. Posted By: Paul G
        Date: December 12th, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

My arrived today…

MUST resist reading until xmas day…

Looks good James :)

46.   46. Posted By: Kashy
        Date: December 10th, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

Is it still possible to get this book (2012) ?

I hope I’m not too late…

Cheers!