Team Ferrari
Posted on August 12, 2012
Darren Heath

Today is the last day of the 2012 London Olympics…but it’s also the last day of the JA on F1 Ultimate F1 Road Trip competition, which we have organised with Shell, the sponsor of the Belgian Grand Prix.

The event will see 8 lucky fans win the trip of a lifetime to the best F1 circuit in the world at Spa Francorchamps with Grandstand seats; hospitality at the legendary Eau Rouge corner; seat time in an F1 simulator (the Shell Professional Simulator Experience, developed in collaboration with Ferrari) and, of course, a fun road trip down there in the company of like-minded individuals.

The competition closes at 9am UK time on Monday August 13th

We asked fans to post a story about their favourite road trip and then use social media tools to alert friends and contacts to come to the site to vote for them. We’ll then do a short interview with the top ten and four will be selected to make the trip and bring a friend along.

We’ve had an astonishing reaction with over 2,200 responses to the original post, made up of entries and votes. So thanks for that.

Here is how the Top Ten looks with 24 hours to go. (The entrant’s Post number is in brackets)

SHELL/JA ON F1 ULTIMATE F1 ROAD TRIP COMPETITION

1.(60) Rob Sinfield – 354 Votes
2. (31) Bart de Pauw Baghetti – 220
3. (4) Andy Dudley – 144
4. (10) Andrew – 131
5. (105) Baart1980 – 126
6. (58) Andrew Mills – 96
7. (119) Anil – 83
8. (21) Sean Craddock – 72
9. (71) Jon Wilde – 69
10. (62) Andy Fov – 66

You can read the posts and responses HERE

Once the competition closes on Monday we will contact the top ten and arrange a time for a phone interview, which will take place between 12-5.30pm UK time on Tuesday.

The final four winners will be notified on Wednesday and we will post the results here on JA on F1.

The Ultimate F1 Road Trip takes place between 31st August and 2nd September (race day) and we will post video and other content from the trip here on JA on F1 once the winners get back.

All the terms and conditions can be read HERE

Final day of a great competition
17 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: AndyFov
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Down to tenth? I think I must have started on the wrong strategy. :)

2.   2. Posted By: Seán Craddock
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 9:27 am

I’m not sure what time this was posted at but I have a lot more than 72 at the moment…

3.   3. Posted By: Jon Wilde
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Whilst my current number of votes is my favorite number, any of Rob Sinfield or Bart de Pauw Bagetti’s buddies who are yet to vote should defiantly vote for me!!

I’m not desperate……but I am :)

4.   4. Posted By: Ral
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

Wow. Nice work by all in the top 10. I couldn’t quite get that number of replies. Time to work on my online profile ;-)

5.   5. Posted By: Jon Wilde
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Whilst my current number of votes is my favorite number, I think I could do with a few more, so if any of Rob Sinfield or Bart de Pauw Baghetti’s buddies at yet to vote maybe they could throw some support my way…..

GREAT Competition James! thanks for helping the break pass a little quicker.

6.   6. Posted By: Rob Sinfield
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

Wow! I’m on pole position!

Many thanks to those who voted for me and thanks also to Shell and James for such a great competition.

The very best of luck to the ten finalists!

Best wishes from Rob Sinfield and Olive, my trusty Morris Minor.

Baart1980 Reply:

I saw Your retweet by Jessica Michibata on Twitter :) Nice marketing !:)

Rob Sinfield Reply:

Yes Baart1980, a mention from the delightful Jessica did make me smile, almost as much as the vote I got from Taki Inoue! All good fun.

Baart1980 Reply:

Well, about Jessica, maybe You see her in Belgium :)

Baghetti Reply:

And you are on pole by quite some margin, very impressive, I did what I could but there was simply no way to beat you!-)

Fake Charlie Whiting Reply:

Rob,

I need you to calm down and focus. A lot is riding on this interview, and let’s face it, you’ve got a bit of a history for causing controversy. Thank God it’s a phone interview, so we don’t have to worry about wardrobe issues.

If there’s a math question, contact me. If there’s an F1 trivia question, ask @karunchandhok. If there’s an F1 stats question, ask @virtualstatman. If the question is about 80′s pop bands or bar maids, you can field it yourself.

Best of luck. I’m arranging flights now, so don’t blow it by jumping the start.

Warmest regards,
    FCW

Rob Sinfield Reply:

Thank you Charlie. Where would I be without your sage advice? Regarding wardrobe issues, the suit is on standby, have no fear.

Fake Charlie Whiting Reply:

Having that suit on standby is the very definition of fear.

James, Rob was just kidding. He will dress snappily for this event. I’ll take him shopping. The fine people at Shell need not fear that their promotional pictures will be useless.

Warmest Regards.
    FCW

7.   7. Posted By: Baart1980
        Date: August 12th, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

Great :)
    But when the entry stops ? In terms and conditions it is said that on 12.8.2012 23:59PM, and that you`ll be call at 9:00 am on 13.8.2012.

James Allen Reply:

It’s 9am on 13.8.12

8.   8. Posted By: Lawrence Lavery
        Date: August 13th, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Damn only looking at this now! I still have time so here goes. A bit of a cliche I am afraid – a couple of years ago my friend Danny and I drove from Los Angeles to New York in a BMW 3 Series (E30) convertible. We had talked about doing it for years and in the spring of 2010 we banged out a plan, to go along the southern states and then up the eastern seaboard in five weeks. Roof down, tunes on, cruising down the interstates we kept mentioning “This country was built for driving”. We hit Palm Springs, Las Vegas, the remains of Route 66, the Grand Canyon. By this stage we had a TopGear moment and realised the car was going to be part of our journey in a way we didn’t expect. It was going to become a character. Down to Phoenix caught up with friends, played some crazy golf and then headed off to Texas. Steaks, beer, rodeos and art (Sante Fe) not to mention the women Texas did not disappoint. We headed south to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico to make for New Orleans. Shocked and warmed in equal measure by N’awlins. Up through the ethereal Mississippi with a detour to Little Rock, Arkansas then into the rhythm of America – Tennessee. Sun Studio in Memphis even with the air conditioning broken was a place that gave us goosebumps then to Nashville to drink in another epicentre of music. Back towards the coast we enjoyed the calmer Alabama, except for the Talladega Superspeedway! Mobile (Little New Orleans) was a great spot. Florida was next, played some golf, hooked up with some friends in Orlando, got to see alligators in the Glades and the Miami. Ocean Drive was the perfect place for Motley (the Beemer got named after Motley Crue). JFK Space Center to see the stuff that makes us slip the surly bonds of earth. Into the Carolinas – great food, great people and ridiculously pretty. The Swamp (Washington DC) was up next, grand and old yet a place dynamic and alive especially Georgetown after dark! Baltimore for a trip around the streets we came to ‘know’ from The Wire – we got to see Marlo’s meeting place. Philadelphia our first time to the city of firsts, sad to leave it but the promise of New York sweetened that sour. New York – a great city that seem to dwarf Motley but only in the physical sense the car – it had just driven from LA so it was a giant in the concrete canyons (kind of:)).

Great prize by the way even the F1 magazines we have to pay for don’t offer this.

9.   9. Posted By: Jon
        Date: August 13th, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Best Of luck to all who entered!

Thanks Again James