The One and Only
Spa 2014
Belgian Grand Prix
Tragedy at Toro Rosso as trainer dies
Toro Rosso
Posted By: James Allen  |  09 Jan 2012   |  11:34 am GMT  |  18 comments

Raniero Gianotti (above left), one of the best known driver physical trainers in F1 circles, who has worked with Sebastian Vettel, Rubens Barrichello and most recently the Toro Rosso drivers, died of a heart attack when out cycling.

The 46 year old was cycling with friends in Urbino, in the Marche region of Italy and was only a few kilometres into a ride.

Gianotti had been working in motorsport for many years. In F1 he was a well known and popular figure as the trainer of Barrichello, first at Stewart GP, then at Ferrari.

On Twitter Barrchello said, “It was so sad when I received the news that my great friend and fisio Raniero past away this morning. Heart attack while he was on his bike.”

After Ferrari he worked with Jarno Trulli at Toyota before moving to Toro Rosso, where he prepared Vettel the year he won the Italian Grand Prix for the team.

Our sincere condolences to his wife Nadia and young son Luca, whom he leaves behind.

Tags:
  1. Wayne says:

Raniero Gianotti, God Bless. Rest in peace.

2. MISTER says:

Not happy to hear these news.
    Even thought I don’t know Raniero, I’m sure he was a great man. He was too young for this kind of tragedy.
    Sincere condolences to his family.

3. Steveceve says:

What terrible news, such a shock and a huge loss.
    RIP :(

4. mael says:

This is very sad & sobering… I’m the same age and not nearly as fit as Raniero.

5. Vipin says:

R.I.P to Raniero Gianotti

6. Adam T says:

The exact same thing happened to one of the guys I went out cycling with last year, my sympathies go to his family and friends

1. Sebee says:

Can we learn anything from this? I wonder if this was some heart defect, if he pushed too hard, if he was at very high altitude. I find it highly unusual that a life fit person like this dies on a bicycle ride in mid 40s.

Sad news, but would be good to learn from such events.

1. JB says:

He pushed to hard. He may be a trainer, but I don’t know how fit he was – a similar thing almost happened to me after jumping on a bike with no prior preparation and riding full steam uphill.

Sad, but at least he died doing what he loved.

7. Femi Akinz says:

To the families of Gianotti, please accept my heart felt condolences. May the Lord grant your family the strength to go through this.

1. AndyK says:

Probably the least he could do. Considering the same lord to whom you refer must have deliberately struck him down in the prime of life and all that!!

8. Andrew Carter says:

46 is too young to go, RIP.

9. Rich C says:

Shocking, sad, terrible for his family. You’re never prepared for something like this, believe me. Hard to miss the irony, too.

10. David Ryan says:

Very sad news indeed – RIP Raniero and my condolences to his family and friends. Like Sebee above, I do wonder whether this was a case of pushing the body too far and whether we can learn from it. All the same, my thoughts and prayers are foremost with him and those who knew him.

11. Jay B says:

It’s a cruel twist of fate when, in an effort to keep fit, exercise is the factor that takes your life. We hear of stories where seemily healthy people suddenly pass away and we ask ourselves, how? Perhaps it was an underlying condition of which he was unaware? Did he push himself too far?…sometimes though, these things are just idiopathic and could not have been predicted. But that shouldn’t stop us from pursuing our health and fitness goals; exercise is far more likely to improve your well-being than do damage to it. My thoughts are with his friends and family, as well as those at Scuderia Toro Rosso.

12. Jake Pattison says:

As a 46 year old cyclist myself this is somewhat alarming.

13. Jack says:

Too young…
    Rest In Peace, Raniero.

Thank you for your service to the sport we love.

14. Phil says:

He told Jaime Alguersuari not to worry about his future as he WAS the future. Jaime seems very very upset at the loss of this man. Would be great for jaime to be on the grid this season. HE should be more to the point.

15. Andy C says:

I heard about this from Adam Cooper and saying I was shocked is a bit of an understatement.

Tragic loss and my thoughts are with his family and friends. Very hard for them to come to terms with it I’m sure.