How the West was F1
Austin 2014
US Grand Prix
Announcing the new JA on F1 Yearbook: 2011 – Vettel steals the show
Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 14.19.55
Posted By: James Allen  |  13 Nov 2011   |  8:54 pm GMT  |  40 comments

I’m delighted to announce that the 2011 JA on F1 Yearbook is now available to pre-order.

Titled “Vettel Steals the Show”, it is a comprehensive look back on the F1 year, comprising the best posts from this site during the 2011 season, along with extensive new written content and stunning photos from F1′s top photographer Darren Heath.

There is a foreword from world championship winning Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner. All books ordered through this site will be personally signed by me.

This is the third year we have produced this limited edition book and collectors who already have the first two will know that it contains race reports, behind the scenes stories and insights into the F1 year. It’s great to be able to look back on the year with the benefit of hindsight and to follow the strands of the leading stories as they evolved.

Listening to readers who gave us feedback from last year’s book we’ve added plenty of additional content and analysed in detail how the races were won and lost.

It offers an in depth behind-the-scenes look at the events and races that shaped the year:

- How Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull managed to stay ahead
- Why Button shone as Hamilton suffered a painful dip in form
- How the new DRS wings and Pirelli tyres led to over 600 overtakes
- The background to SKY’s controversial acquisition of the UK TV rights
- Robert Kubica, sidelined by a horrific accident, fights to come back

Although Formula 1 is dominated by machines it is at heart a people business and the JA on F1 2011 book is a reliable guide to the actions, motives and ups and down of the extraordinary cast of characters that make up the F1 paddock.

The book is priced at £9-99 plus Postage and it will be printed and ready to send out by December 12th. It’s a limited edition and tends to sell out quickly! To place your order click HERE

1. d.h. says:

Last years edition was a fantastic read, I’m sure this years will be the same. Have ordered it.
    Thanks for your many excellent reports and articles this season James, again you’ve been the link for many of us, to have a little bit of inside the paddock knowledge.

2. Cliff says:

Spotted the link yesterday and ordered the book straight away. If the book is as good as last years we’re in for a treat.

Thanks for a great season of analysis. and comment.

3. K. Nour says:

I enjoyed last year’s book. Gonna order this new one too.

4. David M says:

Already got the 2009 and 2010 books, just pre-ordered this one as soon as I saw the banner…looking forward to it! :)

5. ben says:

Ordered. And looking forward to looking back on this year!

6. Slightly out of context, je m’excuse, etc., a serious comment this time. I was wondering if anyone could explain what’s going on behind the scenes at FOTA – are they dying on their feet after this latest petit problemma with smaller teams/less staff at races vs. bigger teams/more staff at races and Ferrari, Sauber HRT finally getting what they wanted, i.e. ban on engine mapping in 2012 to utilise exhaust gases. It also appears as if good old Montezemolo produced yet another trade mark speech full of his customary sophism, 3 cars per team… smells like FOTA fried its little balance of peace, no, yes? It’s very interesting to see what happens.

Looking forward to Dinosaur Sr. aka Eccletone becoming history, hopefully. It’s just been going on for too long, F1′s model is destined to collapse and other FIA world championships are doing a much better job at promotion/reaching out to fans. Forget twitter, blurry mobile phone pics and delirious tweets from press officers is not what I want, I want affordable F1.

PS Is ze book available in digital format? If so, I’d go for that one.

7. GlastoEls says:

Ordered this book – will now have the full signed set of three.

I actually haven’t even read the other two – I’m normally too busy reading current F1 news to look back. But they’re there for a flight, a holiday, or a future rainy day.

I buy mine as a thank you to James for the year’s reading on the JA on F1 website. I’m a daily visitor, without fail. It’s the only F1 site I ever need.

8. Paul J says:

How do you find time to pen another book during a season like this! I bought the first one and loved it, so I’m sure I’ll be getting this one too. Great job.

9. Joe S says:

Hi James

Will you again run the competition asking readers to rank their top 5 drivers of the year, with those matching your top 5 winning a copy of this year’s book?

1. Craig D says:

I reckon it’ll be slightly easier for people to more closely agree on a top 5 this year. Last year there must have been a wide range of unique lists.

10. Timur Akhmadeev says:

Hi James

Although I read JAF1 blog regularly, and 09/10 books content is mostly the same as in the blog, I can’t wait to get my hands on the 2011 book. Thank you very much for your hard work.

Well I write a lot of new content linking the posts

11. sebsronnie says:

Don’t know whether to bother ordering since I was unable to get last years (my country wasn’t eligible or something like that). Incidentally, purchasing the 2009 one (Brawn GP) was hassle-free. James – any hope for people like me?

Wasn’t aware of problems. Our e commerce partner, Grand Prix Legends, can ship them anywhere in the world.

1. sebsronnie says:

Ok – will be ordering it asap then.

12. Richard D says:

Top of the christmas wishlist. Thanks, James, really looking forward to this years one as well.

13. Andrew S says:

After last years debacle when I dropped more than enough hints to the wife for a Christmas present (including emailing her the link) I still had to order it myself!

James any chane you could email my wife to reinforce my choice of christmas present?

By the way – I have the first two and they are excellent.

Of course, no problem! Send me her address and I’ll chivvy her along!

2. miso says:

Tut tut;-). It’s now a standing tradition that I will buy my partner a copy of the book.

You know what they say – “tradition is an experiment which worked”

14. Paul Mc says:

Pre-ordered. I was only looking through the other two books the other night. Has it really been three years already?..insane.

Amazing how the site has grown in terms of content and users. Great stuff!

Thanks very much. Long way to go yet!

15. Rob Newman says:

James, one question. The season is not over yet. I believe the book will be completed only after the final race? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Yes. It’s clear in the post that it will be finished and printed on December 12.

1. Rob Newman says:

Thanks James. I have ordered a copy :)

16. Parisian Bob says:

Is last year’s still available [reduced price maybe?]

1. You’ll be lucky to find a copy at all. Try chaters.co.uk – I got my signed 09 book through them via eBay.

2010 was a fantastic season and a must read.

1. Steve says:

Amazon have a few left?

17. coefficient says:

Hi James,

Just ordered the new book. Do you have any copies of the 2009 and 2010 year books lying around?

I believe there may be a few at Grand Prix Legends, who are selling this book for us. Please contact them

18. Spiderbrown says:

Hi James

I have just ordered a copy of this but was wondering if there are previous years reviews available for sale. I am especially interested in summaries of the tit for tat that happened between Hammilton and Alonso during the year that Raikonnen won the world drivers championship. If not can you recommend other books that might provide a level of insight that is up to your standard.

Many thanks

I wasn’t doing it then. JA on F1 was only launched in 2009, thanks

19. Hi James,

After 2009 and 2010, my 2011 copy has been ordered.

I love your work and hope you’ll continue for years to come.

Wishing you a happy holiday to you and your family.

Thank you for that. We’ll have a section where you can review the book shortly

20. Ben S says:

Oooh today’s the day! Looking forward to receiving my copy. Shall be reading that over christmas instead of watching Downton Abbey or the suchlike.

Hope its a cracker(little seasonal gag there)

THanks. Please send in a review if you’d like