F1 hits the beach
Summer Break 2014
Senna DVD out next week: Film maker explains what’s on it and why
Manish Pandey and Asif Kapadia
Posted By: James Allen  |  03 Oct 2011   |  10:23 am GMT  |  72 comments

Next Monday, October 10th, sees the UK launch of the DVD of the award winning F1 documentary film “Senna”.

The film has won awards, including an audience award at the Sundance Film Festival and has had great reviews world wide for its portrayal of the tragic icon and his struggles to reach the top of the F1 ladder.

Much of its success lies in its crossover appeal – many people with no interest in F1 have been captivated by it and hopefully some of them now take more of an interest in the sport.

Britain’s leading film critic, Mark Kermode, no F1 fan himself, wrote a review of the DVD in which he said, “This electrifying documentary is as dramatic, suspenseful and tragic as any feature film I have seen this year and I encourage those with zero affinity for fast cars to seek it out forthwith.”

I caught up with the film’s creator Manish Pandey (above right with director Asif Kapadia) at the weekend for a quick chat about the reception the film has received worldwide and what fans can look forward to on the DVD package,

“When you make a film you should always make it for yourself,” he says.”Because at least there will be an internal consistency to it, it’s not a committee and this film is true to me. Once it’s out you don’t own it any more. The reaction has way exceeded out expectations. The film has done five times as well in UK as the best case scenario that Universal had for it. It’s the number three documentary ever in UK in box office terms and the number one British made documentary. That speaks for itself.

The influential Screen magazine reports that “Senna” is among the favourites to get an Oscar nomination. Next month the notifications of the films being short listed will go out.

“The reaction from F1 world has been the most overwhelming thing,” Pandey adds. “People who were around at the time – such as yourself, James – have said it put them back there, that it’s highly evocative and that it was him.”

Bernie Ecclestone was so delighted with the film he famously gave Pandey a hug after the premiere and said, “Super job, let’s do something else together.”

“As a piece of work it has inspired people who have been connected with it,” says Pandey. “The film has inspired them to push themselves as far as they could with the budget they had. Universal have won two awards for the marketing of the film. That’s all come from Sena, the man, who he was. People watch him and people want to be involved and that’s the story of the film.”

The DVD comes out on October 10th and the package of extras is interesting. Here is Pandey’s take on what’s included and why.

“There is a film makers commentary which is well worth listening to with the film going. Normally its’ stop start and people have to check their notes how things were done. Asif (Kapadia, director), James (Gay-Rees, producer) and I did it in one take, because were were so into the material and had so much knowledge of each frame. That shows what each of us brought to the table on that film

“We’ve added in many of the interviews we filmed, we show them as extended talking heads; there is a lot of Alain Prost, Ron Dennis, a lot of the key journalists. What we are able to do is be more forensic about some of the events that took place.

“Another key feature is the whole of Gerry Donaldson’s interview with Ayrton from 1989, when he was quite down, which culminates in his speech about Monaco 1988, which takes in his spirituality, and his philosophy as a driver.

“There is also a two and a half hour version of the film, where you can see the film with the talking heads cut in like a conventional documentary.”

Senna DVD, released October 10th £15-99. Blu ray £19-99

1. unococCC says:

Top Stuff. Saw it at the cinema here in Australia. Great film.

Wouldn’t mind though just 2 hours of Prost talking about it all, and his racing and the driving style, Senna’s driving style and why he thought he was the better driver (all drivers do).

Influences and also his take on post Prost GP racing, the current regs and style of racing.

He said after Monaco that he thought the drivers had no fear of crashing anymore, pointing out Webbers Eau Rouge overtake on Alonso and some other overtakes.

I’d love to hear Prost talk about it all… but then no one would see it…. but me… and maybe a few others, but probably me.

1. Koopra says:

For me, Prost interview made the whole thing worth watching. I hope people wont see him as the villain of the story.

(I have seen only the extended version, and don’t know how it differs from the cinema version.)

1. anonymous says:

I second that: The Prost interviews were pretty much the only stuff that I enjoyed in the movie, because a lot of stuff was already featured somewhere else and there were some interesting details from Prost regarding the contracts and so on. A lot of the film was just sentimental Senna applause. Anyway, I missed Gerhard Berger in the movie, he had written down some remarkable memories about Senna, Alesi and the whole wild bunch his book “Grenzbereich” (Senna and him punked themselves severeal times, like Berger threw the keys out of Sennas car when they were in the middle of Rome waiting at traffic lights – result: mad italians using their horns and later being puzzled to see the two forumual one heroes searching around the car for keys in the middle of the traffic. Senna had Berger’s Ferrari flooded with peppermint essence, because Berger threw out Senna’s bloody expensive new suitcase out of the helicopter and when Senna asked him if he knew how bloody expensive that was just replied “had you bought something cheaper you would be less mad about it”).. loads of things like that and more than I could remember. The who chapter with Berger’s and Senna’s friendship was plain missing. A movie about Senna without his remarkable relationship to Berger is just so empty. Prosts interviews were the real gem.

2. Benn Glazier says:

Listening to Manish and Asif talk about the film today, I asked them exactly the same question about Berger.

Manish’s response was that you can’t show private moments that didn’t have any video footage to illustrate them.

Example, there was noone with a video camera recording that incident in Rome for example. And thus, it would have been very difficult to weave into the movie.

Additionally, their relationship occurred when they became team mates, and this was quite late on in the story line.

3. unococCC says:

I’ve seen a clip of Prost talking in the extended, most of the talking heads were cut out in the cinematic version. The shorter version also barely included Prost.

I already knew most of the Senna stuff but the footage was good, but what made it for me was what others added, and for me the commentators didn’t really add that much as they were just describing what the film (well chosen) already showed. Prost on the other hand came from a completely different angle and added different things and ideas you couldn’t pick up from the film alone.

2. CTP says:

I think you’re in the wrong place – you’re looking for the movie “Prost.”

2. Moog says:

Can we purchase JA signed copies from you James?

I have a plan involving signed poster/ DVD sets but not got it finalised yet

1. AndyFov says:

Ooh! That gives me something to put on my Christmas list.

2. unococCC says:

Bluray by any chance?

3. goferet says:

I hope 90% of the profits from the Senna movie go to the Senna family – It’s only right or else this would be a case of profiting from somebody’s misfortune or maybe that’s how capitalism works!

But the amazing thing about this story is Senna passed while leading the race so in essence he went out as the number 1, somehow I don’t see Schumi’s career getting made into a successful documentary mainly because of his domination in the early 2000s & ill-thought-out unretirement

No doubt, Prost had/has too much class for he wasn’t portrayed in such a good light in the Senna movie but he still refuses to give his side of the story.

All in all the Senna documentary should be a lesson to all F1 fans & drivers and that’s exciting drivers that have a lot of controversy surrounding them (penalties & crashes) will stand the test of time e.g. Lewis Hamilton unlike some other drivers that hardly crash & who idea of racing is saving tyres e.g. …………………

1. Justin Bieber says:

Please spare us the Hamilton/Senna analogy, its insulting to Senna.

Senna was in a different era, where the FIA president was rooting for Prost, a fellow french man. The FIA made some truly controversial decision at that time. Senna was highly respected by most drivers and is remembered more for his overtaking than his crashes. I don’t recall a year where Senna lost the championship because he crashed into too many drivers.

Hamilton on the other hand is driving in an era where is no longer acceptable to crash into your opponent. Most of the penalties he received were justified and were handed by large group of different steward and former drivers, there is no FIA conspiracy. Some of his fans and pundit will argue that he is receiving penalties where other drivers wouldn’t. They may have a point but when you crash into someone at almost every race you cannot expect clemency.

Time will tell if Hamilton get his sh*t together and win a few more championships or keeps crashing himself out the championship.

2. AndyFov says:

I’ve no idea what the financial arrangement were, but this movie is a perfect cinematic memoriam.

Ayrton’s surviving relatives must surely be delighted that the passion and the spirit of the man has been strung together and immortalised in this format.

3. Read the book Senna vs. Prost by Malcolm Folley. Prost opens up about everything that went on at McLaren. It’s a brilliant book and one of the only works I’ve read that ISN’T biased purely towards Senna but instead gives a very even view on what happened.

I watched the movie after reading the book and have to say they chose to leave out a lot of moments which I thought were key. But it’s a movie and thats how it works. Nonetheless, if anyone wants a thorough account of the rivalry between the 2, read that book. It really made me think that Prost was always the better and more complete driver compared to Senna and showed how his image as a careful driver was formed when he witnessed Gilles Villeneuve and Didier Pironi’s crashes firsthand.

1. Robert s says:

just received this book, cant wait to read it!

4. Screenwes says:

Written like a true socialist who has no respect for the value of other people’s hard work and their creations.

5. Andy C says:

Unless they’ve had a miraculous downturn I dont think the Senna family are short of a dollar or two.

That is irrelevant though, in that the docu captures a lot of unseen footage of senna and the issues he faced in F1 at the time.

It also has some great footage of Alain and Ayrton around the time they were beginning to realise all would not go smoothly.

A great tribute to the man.

4. franed says:

Looking forward to this, hopefully my kids will buy it for Christmas for me.

5. Andrew Carter says:

An amzing documentary about one of F1′s biggest characters, I’ll definitely be bying this next week.

6. Gemma says:

Can’t wait to watch the extended version….

7. Mark in Australia says:

Can’t wait for the Austrsluan release of the DVD. Definitely one that will take pride of place in my library.
    Great work Asif and James!

8. RDS Motorsport says:

James, any word on the rest of the world DVD release, South Africa in particular as the movie was never released in cinema over here.

Thanks,

9. Iain says:

Hi James,

On a different subject. How are Rob Smedley’s comments to Massa on the radio going to change things? Hold him destroy his race! Looks like someone has some explaining to do! I can’t believe they put it on the F1 website.

All the best!!

Iain

1. William McCone says:

Why have they some explaining to do? They said to destroy Hamilton’s race, i.e. prevent him scoring points to assist Alonso to second in the Drivers Championship. They didn’t say take Hamilton out, which would be something to answer too?

Team mates deliberately slowing a competitor to assist a team mate is nothing new.

2. Koopra says:

We have heard thousands of times in post race interviews how driver X had his “race destroyed” by getting stuck behind driver Y. That is all it means.

3. Werewolf says:

“I can’t believe they put it on the F1 website.”

Proof the FIA/Ferrari love-in of the last era is over … and that no-one is bigger than the sport … or a cynical move to trigger more publicity? Probably all of the above!

4. Dan says:

Blown out of all proportion much? I think so.

Of course Rob Smedley is going to encourage his driver!

Read between the lines and the real story is that Smedley feels the need to give Massa such voiciferous motivation. And it’s also telling that the best Massa can hope for is to hold Hamilton up for a lap or two. Why wasn’t Smedley saying “come on Felipe, open up a gap”.

If you saw the race edit from the Belgian GP you would’ve seen some cut aways to a very frustrated Smedley as Massa makes a couple of mistakes and gets overtaken.

Clearly both Massa and Smedley are feeling a bit of pressure right now. That is the real story behind all this, not some overblown spat in the interview pen.

5. AndyFov says:

lol, I can. It’s not the first time the official edit has stitched a team up with a snippet from the radio feed. They’re big stirrers.

It’s all a storm in a tea cup though. “Destroy Hamilton’s race” simply means ‘as long as he’s behind you he’s not in front of Alonso’. That’s permissible use of team orders.

/tangent

1. Jon Wilde says:

I hope we start to get these kind of pit to driver messages during the race next year.

FOM seem to have something with Smedley at the moment, “for f**k sake Felipe” in the Spa edit when Massa ran wide was classic.

These audio bites will add a new dimension to broadcasts in the future.

I’d love to make to think it means something more than it does, but Rob was simply giving his driver an instruction. Hamilton’s reaction to the penalty says a lot about where his head is at the moment.

Looking forward to our copy of Senna arriving! I have an office full of skeptics to convert….

6. i am wondering if massa was more upset after the race because again he was basically told he is the number two driver !

so ok , he did not smash into hamilton on purpose but maybe he could have gone a bit faster and he would not have been so close to him ? so basically his team tells him early in the race that he must slow down allready !

sadly no2 driver ….

10. I’ll be ordering this, probably on Blu Ray too. Not sure if that’s not a waste of money as most, if not all, of the footage is quite low definition. I still want the best possible reproduction of it, though!

It would be nice to hear more of Prost’s side of the story and also of his fractious relationships with Rene Arnoux and Nigel Mansell. I don’t think it will happen though, as I get the impression Alain is very much ‘over’ F1 and is more interested in living out his life and doing what he wants to do than reliving the past.

I can’t imagine another F1 documentary could ever come close to Senna, but there are plenty of interesting stories to be told. Of the current drivers, I think Alonso would make the best subject of a documentary film. You have his struggle to make it through karting without a wealthy family to bankroll him and in a country that cares far more about racing motorbikes than cars. Then his first test and drive for Adrian Campos, through F3000 and his debut F1 season at Minardi to his first stint at Renault with his fiery confrontations with other drivers and fast, but at times reckless, driving. Then the WDCs, the tumultuous McLaren year, getting the best out of a struggling Renault, Crashgate then on to Ferrari.

What Alonso’s story is missing that would make it work as a film is a strong ending. Senna’s story had a tragic one built-in, but it’s all about the course the remainder of Alonso’s career takes. I think the best we can hope for is that, after an especially fearsome title battle, Fernando comes out on top and promptly retires from the sport.

It would rather rely on a resurgence from McLaren and Lewis Hamilton, an easing of Red Bull’s dominance and better cars from Ferrari. Otherwise the second half of the film would just be “How I Became Frustrated and Miserable While Sebastian Vettel Dominated Formula One” by Fernando Alonso.

11. AndyK says:

Hi James, It occurred to me there have been 2 massively successful motorsport related documentary movies this year. (The other being TT3D) have you seen it yet? What are your thoughts on road racing, the danger and excitement of it compared to modern F1. I don’t even know if you follow bike racing at all. It seems the road racers thrive on danger and aren’t fussed about extra run off here or there. Where f1 drivers generally appear to be concerned about bumps and high kerbs being so dangerous they might need an extra long massage after the race. I know it’s slightly off topic.. I’d be interested to hear your views if you have a minute to spare. All the best
    Andy

I like road racing and the TT although it’s hard to watch ( except through your fingers!)

1. Ben says:

I thought TT3D told an excellent story about the 2010 TT. Guy Martin is a very funny/odd character, and absolutely fits the “they have got to be bloomin’ crazy to race here” mentality that seems to suit the TT.

Connor Cummins segment towards the end really does need to be watched from behind the sofa though!

Oh, and best use of 3D I’ve ever seen in film! It was used to add depth and atmosphere, not just to impress by throwing things at the audience.

[declaration of interest: I live on the IOM and love it!]

12. Sandeep says:

The people who think the crash was massa’s fault don’t know much about racing…

13. Werewolf says:

“Senna” is a superb documentary, capturing an incredible era with excitement, insight, humour and emotion. So far as I recall, the film uses no modern footage, relying solely on contemporary coverage and interviews, and editing it into a hugely captivating whole.

As a senior Werewolf, I particularly remember reflecting on how it showed the period as every bit as exciting, nostalgic, passionate and romantic as documentaries on the 1950s or 1960s, if not more so. It was, of course, all of those things but the film really brings that across so well.

Forget the kids this Christmas, “Senna” is the one essential purchase!

14. Ian C. says:

While the movie may be of interest to those who didn’t follow F1 from the mid 80′s until Senna’s death. For those who did, like myself, there is very little new or interesting.

1. Liam in Sydney says:

I am not sure I agree. I followed F1 over the course of Senna’s career, but would point you to the myriad of obscure interview snippets that never get played in the media due to lack of time. I watched the movie fascinated by these old and diverse interviews that most people have never seen. What about the driver’s briefings? Surely you may have known what happened, but had you seen footage of the driver protests and arguments? I think this movie was superb and has plenty in it for every level of F1 fan.

2. Brisbane Bill says:

I didn’t get the opportunity to view this at the cinema here in Queensland (still 40 years behind most civilisation here!!!) but my mother will be shipping me the DVD from the UK next week and I can’t wait. I have been a huge F1 fan since sitting in Jackie Stewart’s Tyrell at the “factory” (an old WW2 tin hut) as a youngster back in 1971 and can clearly recall the weekend and every moment of that fateful GP. I cannot wait to get this DVD and, whilst there may be nothing new for us die-hard fans who followed Ayrton’s career, I am damn sure it will still be worth watching (probably over and over again).

3. Jack Flash (Aust) says:

I have been watching F1 since 1979. I have attended GP from 1985 onward. I watched Ayrton Senna drive for Lotus and McLaren ‘live track-side’ on no less than 9 occasions. Please do not generalise “for those that did” as typical F1-fan opinion.

There is a lot in this movie that F1 fans in general didn’t get to see before (FOM archival footage releases and family home video etc) – and then there are the interviews with Prost and others in the extended version. As a fan of Ayrton there is a lot of significance in this films content and in its art of story-telling. The story is still emotively moving.

I gained a lot from this movie; not least of which was to appreciate the important, nay crucial part, Alain Prost played in the motivation of Ayrton Senna (a view behind the acromonious rivalry and villanry portrayals of the F1 Press at that time). I have a lot more balanced and respectful view of Alain Prost than I did hold prior to this Movie release.

I just can’t understand why you would dismiss this film thusly. If you are a staunch Alain Prost fan with rancour still for Ayrton Senna, I suggest you see the film to see yourself what Alain has to say about his final endeared memories of him. JF

4. Scott says:

While I a do not wish to be overly critical of any cinematic story involving F1, I must confess to being a little underwhelmed by the film as a F1 fan who watched most of Senna’s career, although can appreciate (but do not necessarliy agree with) the wider appeal that the film has undoubtedly strove towards for obvious financial reasons. I would have preferred a significantly longer film that added more content, perspective and balance to his life, including, for example, more interviews with his teammates and track rivals(such as Mansell/Berger,etc), and perhaps some additional, and less obvious, race footage. As it stands, apart from some fascinating driver briefings, it felt as though I had seen it all before, lacking the depth that I was hoping for. I am therefore keen to watch the extended version to see if this turns a good film into a great one.

15. jmv says:

Senna going for the ultimate echelon in movie making.. Oscar nominations.. that is like trying to get onto a Formula 1 grid.

This movie moves me so much each time I think about it.

Bernie’s comments to do a second project worries me a bit. Surely the same concept cannot be repeated.. Surely a Senna II would devaluate the first movie.

Maybe a contrasting documentary “Prost” could be fitting, more about the F1 world of glamour and racing in the eighties, with the smiling and charming Prost.

Or.. maybe not.

1. Manish Pandey says:

I don’t think that Bernie meant another F1 movie!

16. Azza says:

I can’t wait for this Dvd to come out, I’ve already watched it 3 times at the cinema! Brings tears to my eyes each time.
    A few things I’d like to see more of on the DVD.
    More commentary from Murray Walker would be great, I felt there wasn’t as much from him as I had hoped.
    Also some extended on track battles between Senna and other drivers would be awesome…

17. True Blue says:

Average movie .
    Battles with prost and mansell werent really shown .
    He was a very good driver and sometimes excellent ie donnington but i thought he was overdriving the williams when he crashed

18. Jarv027 says:

Great film, nearly brought a tear to the eye when i watched it at the cinema. I noticed they focused on senna’s cut on his head after his crash at mexico city. It was in fact a jet skiing accident the week before. Id be interested in a signed poster james!

19. Nigel (USA) says:

Quote: “In America the film has had the highest screen average of any documentary this year, constantly on in LA and NYC and rolling around the other states.”

Hah, there are many people who wish it had been shown within 500 miles of here. Do they seriously think that the U.S. market consists of those 2 cities 2,800 miles apart? :-(

1. ESLKid75 says:

What are you talking about? It’s been shown at least for a week in like 50 or so locales in the US, including Terre Haute, IN, and a few other places I had never heard of before… Get on the Senna Facebook page and check out the different places it’s played at… But clearly it’s played in a LOT of places between LA and NY…

1. Nigel (USA) says:

You’re right, the closest one to me is not 500 miles away, it’s only 200 miles away. Hmmm, let me see a 400 mile round trip to go see a movie?

I stand by my comment that the movie is still lacking widespread distribution in the U.S. Now it’s coming out on DVD I can buy it and have it sent here for about GBP14.00.

Formula 1 is a lot more popular in the U.S. than most people realise. Hotels in Austin are booked out already….need I say more?

2. ESLKid75 says:

What I’m saying is that this movie almost didn’t make it to the US, so having it in 50+ cities around the country is a REAL victory. Sorry you live so far away from a decent city is all… It’s even playing in Fresno, for crying out loud… :-)

20. MaxTennyson says:

As an F1 fan who grew up and was “initiated” into F1 during the mid eighties, I loved the Senna film, which I saw here in Adelaide a few months back during the Adelaide Film Festival. Senna has an “educated” following in Adelaide due to our good city hosting the climax to a few world championships during that era, where Senna typically played a role in them. Also, given Adelaide was always after Suzuka, we offered the next opportunity for journalists to quiz Senna after the eventful Suzuka races.

I liked the film as much for its insight into the F1 world at that time, and the behind the scenes footage, as I did because it was about Senna himself. I was a Prost fan in those days and I enjoyed the healthy amount of content on the Prost vs Senna battles. I did feel the film painted Senna only in one light, and that was as a great person, family man, humanitarian and so on. However, for those die-hard F1 fans, it does not explore in much detail matters about his driving technique, his competitive spirit, or what competitors had to say about him, posthumously – I was particularly disappointed about this last point. I had seen an excellent article on Senna in UK Top Gear where Martin Brundle had talked about what it was like to race with him and against him, and explores his driving style and racing psyche in some detail. I was expecting such similar commentary during the Senna film from team owners, and racers alike, however there was none that I can remember or that stood out. Those who knows Senna and have read about him know of: his special friendship with Gerhard Berger; his practical joker reputation (throwing Berger’s briefcase out of their private jet!); his obsessive/compulsive attention to detail; his legendary long post-race debriefs; his ruthlessness on the track (punching Irvine in Japan, positioning his car into gaps which were not entirely reasonable) and so on. However, the film never unpacked any of these angles. It did touch on his wet weather ability, however surprisingly-briefly. Instead of showing all the angles of Senna, like some of these examples I have mentioned, the film seems to paint a rosy picture of Senna, his “persecution” by journalists after he collided with Prost at Suzuka in 1990 and glosses over the amount of collisions he was involved in – although it alludes to this when Jackie Stewart asks him how he has been involved in so many collisions. I would say the film paints a fairly one-sided view of Prost, which is interesting given his support to the film in the credits, and the relationship which he built with Senna after the 1993 season, which anyone would be aware of had they read Prosts’ Biography by Christopher Hilton and other such sources. It neglects to mention the phone conversation Senna had with Prost I think it was the evening before or the morning of his final race, and how disturbed he was feeling mentally at the time, and so on – such was the report they had developed.

There was some amazing footage in the film. Again, not racing oriented. Do not expect to see any more footage than a decent fan would have already seen – you will get an onboard lap of Monaco but that is about it. The footage that I found amazing were things like the drivers’ briefing at Japan where Senna walked out, or the telephoto footage of Senna and Prost and the stewards in the stewards office post Suzuka 89. Compelling stuff. But I always wanted to see some team briefings, some chats with engineers explaining the dynamics of the car, etc. There is scant amount of this, perhaps a few teasing shots.

In summary, if it is a racers’ die-hard expose of Senna you are after, then this most definitely is not it. This is a Senna personal, family–centric view of him and his life that in my view, paints an understandably loving view, but does not give quite the full story of the complex man that he was – in my humble opinion. It is directed and edited with an individual style and with the highest quality and stands out for this aspect.

However, if you are in any way, a fan of F1 or of Senna, you will still be moved and compelled by the content of the film – just go in with the right expectations.

1. clim says:

I totally agree with you. I could`nt have said it better!!

21. F1Fan4Life says:

Hi James, this is off topic but, i saw an interview with Mark Webber on Yahoo Singapore. One of the questions posed was whether he thought that the 2010 world championship which he lost on the last race was his last shot at a world title. I thought it was a dumb question, but apparently Mark Webber said “Yes of course, I do think that last year was my last chance at being World Champion”. He then goes on to explain that he has the best car on the grid (which is obvious..), but is that a normal thing? Why on earth would he say last year was his only shot at a title when he has a contract till next year with the best package on the grid? Linking the article here:

22. F1Fan says:

I was fortunate to see the extended DVD version before seeing the shorter theatrical release in the USA, and I think the longer version, with additional onscreen commentary, makes for a more complete story because it adds context to the themes reverberating in the film – Senna’s intra team fighting with his teammate Prost, and the his growing awareness of the danger of the sport.

The film is great but the DVD version adds detail without fluff. It must have been hard distilling all that information down to 2.5 hours. Just imagine how much harder it was to cut it down to under 2 hours for the big screen.

I was also fortunate to get to speak at length to Mr. Pandey. His love for the sport clearly shows in the film.

23. car 36 kev says:

although i enjoyed the movie, was it over hyped?
    i remember watching the races in 80′s and 90′s. brilliant times for F1.

pity they never included Senna’s radio massage to Prost at imola during practice. Prost was working for french TV for the race.

Left out alot of Senna’s vindictive side out aswell. (taking mansell out in oz so he wouldnt get 10 race wins for the season)

1. herowassenna says:

taking out Mansell? You must have been watching a different race to me…
      Mansell already had the record for 9 wins in a season, Senna has 8 previously, what difference would 10 make???
      Anyway, Mansell braked earlier than Senna and caused their accident, every reporter and driver accepted that

1. car 36 kev says:

what i mean is it could have been a record setting 10 in a season…

everyone has there own opinion of the incident, i believe Senna ‘the master of racing craft’ rammed mansell out of frustration.

Mansell i believe was giving Senna pay back for some of the stunts senna pulled on him during the 91 season, Senna would drive very slowly around corners with mansell behind knowing the honda engine was vastly superior on the striaghts.

Mansell did an interview at the end of 91 where he let his feelings out about Senna during the season.

24. Rob Stevenson says:

I can’t wait, never got to see it on the big screen so I’m looking forward to this like never before!

25. Ted the Mechanic says:

Can’t wait for New Zealand DVD release. Haven’t seen any of it yet. : (

26. Chapor says:

Just let me know when I can order it…. Waiting anxiously since I heard that they were going to make it.

James, you said it would be before Christmas, but this is cutting it close don’t you think? :-P

27. herowassenna says:

I saw the film at the cinema on its release and whilst there was bits which I had never seen before, in the driver’s brefings, Ron Dennis defending Senna after his 1989 Japanese GP disqualification, his reaction to Ratzenbergers accident etc, I found nothing new in the actual film.
    I have read, I believe, all biographies of Senna over the years, countless race reports and interviews and I’m not certain that Prost wasn’t given a fair hearing by the film makers.
    It showed Prost being trailed by a reporter that I personally cannot stand, Nigel Roebuck, on his way to the stewards and FIA office at Suzuka in 1989.
    Prost was known for his political savvy, he and Mansell had been friends before Prost joined him at Ferrari and under-mined his position in the team politically. He was sacked by Ferrari due to his using the press to make changes at Ferrari and failing, and he engineered a contract with Renault to win the 1993 championship and Senna not being allowed to sign for the team. Damon Hill didn’t stand a chance against French interests.
    In the UK, there were many journalists who were biased against Senna after he vetoed Warwick joining the team. They accused him of fear and unfairness, but he was proved accurate in that Lotus didn’t have funds to support 2 drivers. After all, he went to Mclaren and took on and beat the recognised No.1 at that time.
    The one part of the film I disagreed with regarding Prost, was his being interviewed by Selina Scott on TV, he was flirty and she mentioned his being married. In a film with a high amount of religious connotation, this almost painted this man in very dark light moralistically. I’d be fascinated as to why this was included by the producers.

The last thing which really disappointed me was his sisters comments at the end.
    As I have said, I have read the majority of biographies written of Senna, articles in the 17 years since his death and obviously forums on motorsport worldwide.
    One biography in 2004 had all the main stories that were touched upon in the film, and yet not this book or any other article has ever mentioned what his sister, Vivianne, reported that he done on the 30th April, open the bible and it said ” you will be given the greatest gift”
    To a Christian that means only one thing…

It no doubt is the way I view it rather than how other people see it or the crew that made the film, but the film almost seemed religious, he was fighting against the establishment, Judas was Prost, as seen running to the authorities, Senna could walk on water, and in his “darkest” hour saw salvation before him.

28. Alan from Toronto, Canada says:

Hi James,

That’s great news!! Do you happen to know the DVD’s release date for Canadian/North American markets? A “must-buy” for me!!

Thanks,

Alan

29. Dave says:

DVD delivered this morning – just watched – very moving – what a talent, and emotional man. hope Bruno now gets the chance to keep the name alive and at the top of motor sport – great film

30. AndyFov says:

Sainsburys are preselling the DVD for £9 and the Blu Ray (triple play format) for £14.

Seems like a bargain to me, but I’ll be holding fire till more news emerges on the signed DVDs and posters that James previously mentioned.

31. Patrick says:

Any news on the release of the soundtrack?

Yes, there will be one, this side of Xmas I’m told.

1. Patrick says:

Thanks James. Let’s hope Sky Sports see sense and bring you back to our screens next year.

32. ColinZeal says:

Hi James, my girlfriend won the highly commended (or third place) prize for the silverstone gp competition.
    Since the dvd/bluray is out soon she asked me to see (honestly ;)) when she would be receiving her prize, of a bluray and poster. Although the lack of a bluray player suggests she may prefer a dvd.

What was her name again?

1. ColinZeal says:

Mitzi

2. ColinZeal says:

My girlfriend received the poster and dvd this week.
        Thanks very much James!
        Looking forward to getting a chance to watch the film again and all the extras too!

33. Chapor says:

Finally got to watch it last night after I found a copy at our local CD Shop. I am still waiting for the one I ordered though… :(

I loved it. Well well done…