Hot fun in Summertime
Budapest 2014
Hungarian Grand Prix
A second US Grand Prix in New Jersey to join F1 calendar in 2013?
Screen shot 2011-10-22 at 08.45.19
Posted By: James Allen  |  22 Oct 2011   |  9:10 am GMT  |  126 comments

On Friday evening in the US news began to emerge that there could be a second US Grand Prix from 2013 onwards, with suggestions that a street circuit in New Jersey would be announced as an F1 venue on Tuesday.

According to Autoweek, the circuit is believed to have the Manhattan skyline as a back drop and the concept has been developed over several years by Leo Hindery Jr, who is married to the daughter of legendary US motorsports promoter Humpy Wheeler.

There are suggestions that the race would be paired in June with Montreal, which is a short distance to the north, across the Canadian border. Austin has moved to the end of the season to be paired with Brazil.

There is precedent for two races in the USA; in the mid 1980s there was a US Grand Prix East in Detroit and a US Grand Prix West in Dallas, with Montreal also part of a June/July triple header in 1984.

There is also a lot of effort going into a Mexico GP, with a delegation from Cancun lobbying Bernie Ecclestone with support from Carlos Slim Jr, the telecoms giant who has an involvement with Sauber team and a seat on the FIA World Motor Sports Council.

There was a Mexican GP from 1963 to 1970 and the event was revived from 1986 to 1992. Tavo Hellmund, who set up the race in Austin, Texas and used to work for Bernie Ecclestone’s Brabham F1 team in the 1980s is spearheading the expansion of the sport on the other side of the Atlantic. Sauber’s Mexican driver Sergio Perez looks like he has a strong future in the sport, if not perhaps world champion potential.

In terms of calendar congestion, clearly the future is uncertain on Bahrain, with many F1 insiders feeling that next April’s race is not likely to go ahead, while there were strong suggestions that the Korean GP might not last very long. But there is also a new race due to come onstream in Russia, so there is pressure on existing events, which is as it should be from Ecclestone’s point of view, when promoting a market for race hosting rights.

* The news was confirmed on Tuesday, New Jersey governor Chris Christie saying, “I’m pleased that New Jersey will play host to Formula 1 beginning 2013, bringing one of the world’s most popular and exciting sports right to our backyard,”

“I can assure Formula 1 that this is one of the wisest decisions you have ever made, to come and hold this event in New Jersey”.

1. JW1980 says:

This is very exciting news. A double header with Montreal would make a great holiday. Let’s hope that they would run on consecutive weekends.
    I am sure a Mexican GP would be a success as well.
    I’ve read elsewhere about the Korean GP. Recently I visited Istanbul and the flight home actually not just flew over Istanbul Park F1 circuit but the plane banked around it as well.
    It does seem a criminal waste of money to build these circuits only for them to have such short histories.
    It looks like the F1 calendar could be in for quite a few changes over the next few years.
    Let’s hope, though, that New Jersey does not become another Valencia….

1. wayne says:

I agree, this is exciting, as long as they have the layout to make a great track – i’m not a fan of street circuits really, they generally produce quite dull racing (Monaco included).

Am also happy to see two races in the States, at least the USA has a long history of motorsport and a ‘car/motorsport culture’ unlike some of these other new GP venues (India, Singapore etc) where the country is simply frittering public money away on something the public do not care about to try and buy international prestige!

However, in the USA, the government is accountable to the people for how it spends their money, so these races had better be economically viable.

1. Michael Prestia says:

Not all street circuits are boring… Montreal’s race has produced some exciting contests in the past and it is a street circuit.

2. Wayne says:

Oh very well said sir! Montreal is one of my favourite tracks, thanks for pointing that out!

3. Ron says:

Montreal is NOT a street circuit!

2. Chris says:

No more Korea? What about the spectacular swap or the brown river or the hill? DAMN! This circuit is terrible. Get rid of it!

1. Stuart Harrison says:

I sincerely hope the legacy of F1 in the modern era isn’t a plethora of circuits built in far-flung corners of the globe, used for a couple of years then discarded.

It’s not a very environmentally friendly image to be putting forwards…

Right now we’re looking at Turkey being mothballed, Korea, Bahrain (but presumably only while there are troubles), Melbourne (which is a great circuit IMO) and at the rate Valencia is going I can see that disappearing from the schedules pretty rapidly too.

Crazy – has F1 always been this fickle or it is a recent phenomenon?

1. Mark V says:

It has always been fickle. Along with the popular Mexico and US races James mentioned, I believe there are still many F1 fans who miss the regular stops to contest the South African Grand Prix, Dutch Grand Prix, Austrian Grand Prix, Argentine Grand Prix, French Grands Prix and even the handful of Swedish Grand Prix held in the 70′s. There is definitely some “flab” available in the calendar to be shed with little tears to make way for the reinstatement one or more of those classic races.

2. Dan Orsino says:

I’m afraid that “Bernie’s point of view” is not necessarily compatible with the average Fi fan’s point of view. Apart from the US, about which I have no information, the cost of hosting a race in india, for example, must be a fraction of the cost of Spa or Silverstone. So the push is continually for new far flung circuits, while criticising the traditional European circuits as being “old and inadequate”. bernie’s dream must be to pull the curtains on most of the old and loved circuits
        Am I right in fearing that at some point this relentless profit drive [and I'm not saying that Bernie can be blamed for this] will kill off F1 as we know and love it?

Well it’s always been this way, that’s how BE’s built the sport up. But now the teams want to play a part in making it bigger, question is will BE let them

4. wayne says:

I’m just utterly sick and tired of the ‘green’ hypocracy in F1 – the so called ‘environmental’ agenda. Yes we’ll limt quantity of engines and run engines that no F1 fan in the world actually wants, to save a few resources here and there (F1 engines are already incredibly efficient by the way). But we will fly a hundred tonnes of freight all over the world to circuits that not even the locals want for another twenty million dollars and we will leave a trail of skeleton circuits all over the planet where F1 has moved in, consumed hundreds of millions of dollars and a dozen acres of land that could have been used for farms or housing, and left town again sharpish when another city offers a bigger meal ticket. Global gluttony, hypocracy and greed on an incredible scale. The governments of thiese countries are the real culprits here, every bit as culpable as F1.

God I love the racing though :)

I think things have moved on a lot in this area. I spoke to Whitmarsh at length the other day and he said that the teams and FIA have done a lot of work on carbon offsets. I’ll do something on it when I get a chance

6. Wayne says:

Would love to hear an independant view of the real environmental efficiency of F1, James.

3. I hope they make it a night race, if it goes ahead that is

1. Adam Taylor says:

this is unlikely as for us europeans a night race would be at 2 or 3 am. Having it this late would wipe away a lot of fans that Bernie is trying to attract. But if it wasnt for the time difference, a night race would be cool

4. hutch says:

Unfortunately, I think Melbourne might be one of the next events to be dropped to make room on the calendar. Costs have risen and local government support has been weak in recent years.

1. Speed F1 says:

Yes you are right up to an extent. Costs are high, government is useless (like everywhere else), but it has always been a great race in Albert Park. The fans, atmosphere, the circuit, facilities are one of the bests. Melbourne is possibly the best opening round ever in the history of the sport. So despite all the media bashing & political rubbish as an Aussie & a F1 fan Australian GP in general is one of the best event & great market for F1

1. Chris of Adelaide says:

Im still a fan of The F1 cumming back here to Adelaide (slightly biased I know). The crowd was great and it was magic for the whole city. Apparently a lot a drivers love it as a final race of the year. Bring it back as a night race and I think we could have a winner on our hands.

2. miso says:

As an Australian F1 fan, I was disappointed with Albert Park. I’d been to the Japanese (at Fuji Speedway) and Singapore GPs in the two previous years before going to Melbourne last year and it was a let down. I went to the Spanish GP this year and again I felt it offered a better experience as a female F1 fan. I think the organisers in Melbourne assumed no women would be going. They were wrong. The food outlets near us ran out well before the race as well. I realise my issues would seem minor to most but they’ve put me off going to back and my partner and I are pretty dedicated fans.

3. Simon Donald says:

I went to the Australian GP a couple of years back and I was totally underwhelmed by the city’s enthusiasm for the sport. Outside of Albert Park itself, you wouldn’t even have known it was on bar a few flags here and there in the city. After all, in terms of international events being held in Melbourne, the only thing to come close to it is the tennis open! Comparing to the atmosphere in Melbourne to say Adelaide for F1 or more latterly the V8s and the Gold Coast for CART and again more recently, the V8s – I thought it was very poor. I am a Sydneysider, so a little bias may creep, but I think I would have seen more enthusiasm for F1 on a wet Tuesday in Ballarat! The race should leave Mebourne and go back to Adelaide or to the Gold Coast (tho the track would need resurfacing and a bit of widening) or, dare I say it, come to a Sydney street circuit.

5. Laurence H says:

Re: Sergio Perez. It is unclear whether you are saying that he does have World Champion potential, or he doesn’t. Can you clarify?

My sense us that he does not, but I think he’ll have a good F1 career, may even win races if he gets a Ferrari seat one day.

1. Jason C says:

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, it’s a bit early to be saying that, isn’t it? Considering his car and his team-mate, he’s had some good results.

2. kowalsky says:

Interesting view. There were many drivers with similar talent, and less sponsorship support that were world champions,(alan jones,keke rosberg,damon hill,villeneuve, jenson button) Just once i must admit. The real talents are the ones that are able to win more than one wdc.

3. Williams4Ever says:

Not to forget the long end of stick jenson needed. I am sure Non-English driver wouldn’t have been treated by the F1 fraternity for lack of decent results for years…

The F1 journos from country that has heavy influence have contributed a lot in Jenson’s career and now they are immediately writing off Sergio Perez , without him even getting a stab at a front running car and team.

Now we know how game of F1 is played.

4. kowalsky says:

williams4ever i am sure you are right, but it’s not what many people want to hear.
        Montoya had more talent than button and had to leave because he didn’t get a good enough car.
        Nationality besides talent and money has a lot to do with results in f1. What do you have to say james?

5. miso says:

Williams4Ever, many people said Jenson would never win a championship or a race. The video is on YouTube of James commentating the end of the 2006 Hungarian GP saying “they said he might never win a Grand Prix”. I hardly think James is completely writing Perez off either. He thinks he is capable of winning races and having a good career. Has he really shown more than that so far? I don’t think James’ comments will damage his reputation.

As for Montoya having to leave because he never got a good car, it wasn’t until after he had won a WDC that a top team was interested in Jenson. Montoya got the opportunity with McLaren well before JB. How is that an example of nationality coming before talent? I don’t doubt it comes into play sometimes, but I don’t think this is a fair example.

6. Andrew Carter says:

Sounds like sour grapes to me, and how do you explain the plethora of German drivers on the grid if British journalists determine who drivers and who doesnt.

7. Roadhog29389 says:

so he’s like a Fisichella?

8. Dan Orsino says:

Fisi had a reputation as an ok driver till he went to Ferrari and tried to drive the 2009 car!!

9. Simon Donald says:

No more of a Mark Webber I feel. Fisichella was never really worthy of the drives he go IMHO. Same with Trulli.

10. K says:

LOL @ Dan, and very true.

Which also reflects how much Kimi had to do to wrestle speed out of that dog of a car in 2009, especially when he raced with Fisi’s Force India for the entire length of the race.

11. ferggsa says:

Even if I am Mexican I tend to agree with you James, I think Checo is good but probably not Vettel, Schumi, Senna, Lewis quality, (he should have showen more by now)
        So how do you rate him, Barrichello, Massa, Webber?
        I am sure he will improve with experience and would be doing better in another car
        Anyway, I would love him to prove you (and me) wrong on this one
        How about an end of season article on the rest of the grid guys (considering equipment potential/limitations)
        Good work as always

6. Bec says:

It’s better for demand to outstrip supply rather than visa versa.

There are provisions in the Concorde agreement for more than 20 races per season, but those provisions come with a hefty set of conditions, but having more races is the easiest way for the teams to increase their revenue.

7. Rob Newman says:

From a commercial perspective it is good for manufactures like Mercedes, Ferrari and also for other big teams like Red Bull. I am not sure what it means for smaller teams in terms of what they can market in those countries.

1. “F1 is not that popular compared to other motor racing sports in the US. Only time will tell if there will be packed stadiums.” <–You are probably right for most part of the US, but not for NYC metro area. It's a diverse community here including tons of European who loves F1. If this race does take place, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a sold-out event.

1. Nika Wattinen says:

Yousuf, you are totally right. And I will definitely be there!

I’m now regretting moving from my apartment at Port Imperial… I could have been like one of those lucky people at Monaco partying in their apartment! There would have been an open invite to JAonF1 regulars… It would have been great!

Why did I have to go and get married…? Why did I let myself get talked in to not renewing the lease and buying a place in Hoboken…? FML

8. Trent says:

Rather than a money grab, it would be nice to see Bernie help some of these countries make their races work and have a win-win result, rather than watch them sink the move on to the next one.

A philanthropist Bernie is not, and I’m rather tiring of the argument that he is great because he is great for F1. Is Bernie’s motivation success and wealth for F1, or is F1 just the vehicle for success and wealth of himself?

1. Jordan says:

I don’t think Bernie is physiologically capable of altruism…

2. Jason says:

There is a good article on autosport.com at the moment, it’s a premium feature so you will need a description.

It’s titled “What F1 can learn from McDonalds”

I suggest anyone that has a subscription to have a read, it’s quite interesting.

3. DMyers says:

I completely agree. He’s clearly a fantastic businessman, but he is obsessed with making as much cash as possible, while making it as difficult as possible for the circuits. This has the knock-on effect of making it far too expensive for most people to come to see most of the races. That’s not really a benefit for anyone besides Bernie/CVC.

4. Dylan says:

Bernie’s F1 is the party you have in your parents house. It seemed like a good idea at first, but when you wake up the place is a wreck and your parents are pulling into the driveway.

1. Michael C says:

Rather, Bernie’s F1 is the party you have at your friend’s house when their parents are away. It was a lot of fun and when you wake up the place is a wreck but you leave just as his parents are pulling into the driveway.

2. Mitchel says:

Nice one! Sure is. I love Formula 1 but I can’t help but be reminded of the ‘Monorail’ episode of the Simpsons when I hear about new circuits, and relatively new circuits having problems..

9. Donald says:

Let’s backtrack slightly.

His name is…Humpy Wheeler?

1. Jim O says:

Howard Augustine “Humpy” Wheeler. The nickname comes from as a youth he smoked Camel cigarettes.

He is a flamboyant first class promoter although a few years ago he was telling IndyCar they needed to have bumpers on their cars so fans could identify with them. They didn’t care for the suggestion although he other one, make the numbers large enough for fans to read, makes a lot of sense.

F1 isn’t massively popular in the States but it does well with wealthier audiences which help them. And there is little competition in June except for baseball and the Yankees will be in mid season and the Mets irrelevant. The tape delayed FOX broadcast from Great Britain and Germany last year had decent ratings. But as Jackie Stewart has said, you need an American champion like Lance Hamilton or Greg LeMond in cycling to be more than a niche sport. As IndyCar has found out, few care about Scots and Australians fighting for a championship

1. Randy Torres says:

Excuse me the Mets irrelevant? I’m a diehard Yankee fan, but dude you must be from Jersey. Anyway I’ll take a Grand Prix in Jersey, but just to be clear Jersey ain’t New York lets not kid ourselves. If Bernie really wanted to impress he needed to get this race done in the City, Wall St. area to be exact. Street circuits have their issues, but I had a great view from general admission areas in Montreal and the Indycar Baltimore Grand Prix had great general admission views as well. Its just a question of getting there early and scoping your spot, or you can shell out the bucks and get a stand ticket, its only one a year. Besides, how much do you pay for Rangers and Knicks tix in the nosebleed section at the Garden, if yoy can get them.

2. markdartj says:

Actually, few care about IndyCar itself based on the numbers. Probably because a majority of folks do not get coverage (Versus) on their television. The other network (ABC/ESPN) devotes most of it’s resources to NASCAR coverage. If you read the article carefully, Leo Hindry Jr. Is the one who is behind the promotion. He drove three years at LeMans in the GT/GT2 class, He has a tattoo of the Circuit de la Sarthe on his shoulder, after finishing second in class his first time out. In 2005 he and co-drivers Mike Rockenfeller and Marc Lieb won the GT2 honors. He just happens to be the son-in-law of Humpy Wheeler,

2. AndyFov says:

His real name’s Howard. Humpy’s just a nickname.

3. Rich says:

I had to laugh at that one

4. Stephen Craig says:

Sadly that was my first thought when I read the article!

5. ronmon says:

Yep, well that’s his nickname anyway.

He is a famous, some would say visionary, race promoter here in the U.S. and ran Charlotte Motor Speedway for many years.

6. Adam Taylor says:

American, enough said lol

10. SteveH says:

I went to the Detroit GP with press passes, so I had access everywhere. Even with that type of access the race was unviewable, with street barriers obscuring everything. I hate street races as they are done in the US. I hope this doesn’t happen. I understand Bernie’s desire for more and more money (well, really I don’t; when is enough enough?) but there are some great tracks in the US that I wish were raced on by F1. Road America at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin is an amazing track and would be awesome for F1 cars. The CART series raced there and I saw several races; it was great, reminding me a bit of Spa. It’s too bad that money drives the sport, because F1 can be great sport when it’s on great tracks.

Please, no more street races.

1. kowalsky says:

i tottaly relate to your comment. I had the same banner experience at canada 1996. You need a grandstand ticket, or it’s a waste of money. Even if i like the racetrack very much, the banners all over the place, made for a very bad viewing experience.
      I must admit that even if i consider this v8′s “silent”, at that particular track, and with the v10′s, you needed airplugs.
      I tottaly relate to your comment.

2. nick says:

True, but while we may all want to see these great circuits used, I don’t believe there’s enough of a market for that in the US, let alone for two US grand prix. To stand any chance of commercial success, you need a circuit that has glamour and will make headlines. You do that by a street circuit in New York, not using some existing track out in the country somewhere.

11. Sebee says:

Liberty State Park, let’s do it! I live a walking distance. Finally, F1 comes to me, not other way around.

About time they worked this out. Surely they can put up a track for a weekend like Australia or Montreal. The only challenge is grandstands which stay at both places. But I’m sure they will fun a way to move the stuff away after the race, and it will cost less than a whole new race track complex which won’t be used much. Monaco style pitlane won’t bother even the environmentalists.

1. stanard says:

The grandtsands at Albert Park are temporary.

2. Bec says:

The total annual cost for a permanent circuit is about US$48 million, but for a temporary street circuit the cost can be as high as US$87 million, based on 2010 figures.

12. gaz909 says:

It will only work if there is more US involvement in F1. That means US sponsors, US teams and US drivers. Otherwise they just won’t know their Vettels from their Buemi!

You can’t just bowl in for four days. There needs to be a strategy for complete US involvement and ironically you may not like what you get!

Never the less, really exciting. I’ve heard it will be in Hoboken across the river. The views of Manhatten will be sweet.

13. Quercus says:

I hope they don’t have any more totally street circuits in modern cities; or night races for that matter. Monaco is the only total street circuit worth having — because of the history. A street circuits using roads with bends would be OK but the latest street circuits tend to be round cities laid out in ‘blocks’ with 90 degree street corners rather than sweeping bends.

Singapore with its concrete, fences, sharp bends interspersed with straights and awful ‘works-canteen’ top lighting should be dropped, thank you.

14. Matt Shea says:

So many fantastic race circuits in the US — Watkins Glen, Road America, Sebring, to name but a few — it would be nice to see one of them used for F1.

1. Sebee says:

I think in western world the key is to bring the race to the people rather than people to race. You need hotels, restaurants, marketing and promotional opportunities.

Race in a city does this.

Just look at Spa – 40k show up to the race. If all who moan about it not being protected went it should have 120k tickets sold put by February. But it’s not the case. Watkins is like Spa – middle of no where, no hotels around. Don’t know about the others you mention, have not been yet.

1. Jeff says:

Road America is in the middle of rural Wisconsin. It’s a nice part of the world in Summertime, but accommodation would be a similar problem to Watkins Glen, and the spill-over would go as far as Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Sebring is as far away from main metroplexes as you can get in Florida, though the tourist traps of Orlando / Kissimmee, etc. are within 50-60 miles, so there would not be a dearth of hotels there.

I don’t like street races though. There’s typically no run-off area, so mistakes are punished by dangerous impacts with Armco barriers. The passing opportunities are usually few or non-existent, so they tend to be rather processional.

There must be some options for real racetracks in the USA which could handle a car GP, instead of setting up another street race.

2. John Ferdinand says:

Enough with the east coast races – bring a race to the West Coast – Vegas Baby! Low humidity and great weather. And we happen to have just a few accommodations and places to eat. The night life is not so bad either ;)

15. John sharpe says:

Although it sounds like a great population, I’m just worried about the long standing viability of such a GP in NJ/NY. Austin has a purpose built state of the art circuit that anchors the desire to cultivate the underground enthusiasm for f1 in the States into mainstream support. Street circuits are such a tricky “gimmick” and as much as I love them still (Monaco sympathizer) how would this GP translate to success in the future without causing a competition with what is being developed down in Austin? I love F1 beyond measure and as an American who wants to see the sport reconnect with its enthusiastic past my concern is more about growth as well as a change in culture regarding how f1 is perceived in the sport without diluting the sport before its dynamic eruption in 2012.
    My next question is… With Vettel, Rosberg, Sutil, Schumacher and…. All in F1, will Germany demand two races? What about the UK? How could a country with less of an f1 presence and current fan base support two races? Again I am from the States and support F1 but I am also realistic. In any case… Bravo for a potential coup.

16. Merlinghnd says:

It seems to me that there is no money to be made by a promoter holding an F1 race, the fees charged and the conditions imposed by Bernie and Co just make it impossible.

Only national governments can afford to do so and unfortunately those administrations that are directly accountable to their electorate find it harder and harder to justify.

As someone has already said, lots of money spent on circuits which only last a few years or so before the show moves on.

It will be interesting to see how Silverstone is doing in say 10 years with their anuual rise in fees to be paid.

But there again this is a business first and a sport second, fact of life.

17. Fulveo Ballabeo says:

An observation: seems like increasingly the choice is between going to:

A) Countries where people aren’t free, but the country has tons of money, and the citizenry is protesting against the government.

— or —

B) Countries where people are free, but the country has no money, and the citizenry is protesting against the government.

ps- Separately: @Trent nailed it.

18. Paul H says:

Fair enough that new races are added but not at the loss of great races like Melbourne and Spa as is always the immediate threats. Get rid of the rubbish tracks like bahrain, turkey, korea and abu dhabi by all means. I really hope we see a return to South Africa and Mexico, even back to Buenos Aires in Argentina. I think we should have two classes of track, historical and contemporary. Each season we have a 50/50 split between the tracks with the history and new tracks which add intrigue. Rotate the tracks so they get used at least every three years and everyone wins – we get to see all the tracks we love and the promoters aren’t throwing silly amounts of money away every year. I’m sure people would rather have their favourite track on the calendar every couple years rather than lose it altogether.

A one off each year in a spectacular location would be great viewing, be that the Manhattan skyline, The Mall, the Vatican, the pyramids lol. No long term deals just a one off special because I prefer F1 on a track but appreciate the added drama of a known location.

1. Steve says:

What a brilliant idea… Would love to see this put into action, unfortunately this would probably only earn Bernie £30mill per race and wouldn’t be enough for him…

1. Bec says:

Why do people think Mr.E gets the money?
        He was paid $15 million last year, the sanctioning money and TV money are split between CVC and the Teams, and as FOTA don’t take any notice of their own RRA, they need ever increasing amounts of money that Bernie has to find for them.

2. Steve says:

So what you’re saying is Mr E. does it all out of the kindness of his heart and the money he earns is what pays for the teams to go over their budgets?

3. Bec says:

No, he does it for $15 million a year (2010 pay), like I said, the race sanctioning money and the TV money is split between CVC and the teams, like I said, the team were paid about £400 million last year.

Incidentally based on 2010 figures if the teams receive 70% of F1′s income, F1 will make a loss of £76 million.

The best solution would be for the FIA to re-acquire the commercial rights, as they wouldn’t have to pay investors large chunks of money, but the EU commission aren’t keen on that.

19. Franko says:

One have to give it to Bernie, creating one
    time wonders,Turkey gone, Korea on the skids
    with Malasia, India a two thirds poverty stricken Country.
    It have to be asked, moving F1 from traditional
    motor sport venue’s has it been that hot?.
    I think not.

1. David Chubb says:

Malaysia is great and India will be great end of. India is one of the quickest rising economies in the world and so F1 will do it good. USA is a traditional motor sporting venue (it was in F1 from the start) and Mexico too and even South Africa so yes it has been hot to move from them as we would still have these traditional spots now if they were good

20. Richard says:

There is obviously a limit to how many venues F1 can attend. Personally I think twenty is the maximum that there could reasonably be. That then does beg the question which are the ones that will go when that figure is exceeded. One might suggest Bahrain for one currently, but obviously some difficult decisions would have to be made.

21. Jarv027 says:

Id be surprised if it happens, hope it does though!

22. Nick F says:

Amazing. I think it will be great, but I have one concern and that is that they have to work out a circuit design where overtaking can actually happen. F1 can’t go to the US and there be no overtaking. I can’t see the Americans thinking it’s any good if it’s processional. Street races are a great spectacle. In Monaco if overtaking is limited no one is going to complain too much, but I just can’t see that working in New York. They have to find a way to guarantee that there is at least one really strong overtaking point on the circuit, but preferably two. They have to actually ask the drivers opinion about the layout before they commit to it. …Hell, put the circuit layout online. Make a mod for an F1 sim, put it online and watch and see if overtaking can happen, and then tweak the circuit design so it can.

23. bones says:

I live in New York so this is a great news,BUT I won’t believe it until I see it.
    The cost of a GP has to be funded by the state and I doubt the taxpayers will be happy about it,elections are coming and even he has said he won’t run,New Jersey’s major was a highly potential candidate to run for president.
    F1 is not popular by it will be sold out,no questions about it,not only the local F1 fans will crazy to go to such a race,ppl from all over the world would love to see a F1 race here.

1. Steve Ellis says:

I assume you mean governor not major.

24. Adam Taylor says:

A street circuit around the New Jersey streets would be awesome, but im going to wait until its announced with proposed layout before i get all excited.

25. Not a big fan of oval track racing but I think it will be interesting if F1 includes one oval track racing in USA to its calender. Local rednecks will love it plus it will be fun to watch how these F1 cars perform going in a circle, we might even have a winner from one of the back markers.

1. Sebee says:

Download your Ferrari F1 car for an IndyCar race game if such thing exists. It’s the only way you’re ever going to see an F1 car go round.

Actually – Indianapolis was as close as you will ever get.

I will stop posting if a current season F1 car laps an oval
      - full lap, just one.

2. David Chubb says:

We really don’t want to add literary sense to the term ‘going round in circles’ which is what most people who don’t watch F1 say it is

26. Dave Aston says:

How about a Grand Prix in France? I hear it’s a country with some motor racing tradition, they should give it a try.

27. Moog says:

Why more street circuits?
    Sure they’re great if you’re one of the minority to go to Monaco or Singapore, but they make for poor races most of the time.

1. David Chubb says:

Singapore always presents a great race, its more exciting than some purpose built circuits and Monaco does present an exciting race just because at some point there is going to be a safety car and its just great to see F1 cars race around it. Street circuits are great fun and show who is truly the best in the field. Catalunya, Hungary are purpose built circuits and are excrutiatingly boring the majority of the time. Bare in mind that Melbourne is a street circuit and even Montreal is a partial street circuit (used to be a street circuit) and they’re certainly not boring

28. Michael Cunningham says:

yessss! as a formula 1 fan in the US i am truly ecstatic. i travelled to montreal recently to watch the 2010 g.p. and planned to in the future. now i have the g.p. in my backyard as i live in NYC. f1 has its core base in europe but smart management should allow the championship to exploit hot markets. if it has to contract in the future so be it, but if there is justifiable demand now they should take advantage of it. just remember to maintain the core events. that is why i was extremely disappointed to lose the French G.P. the core events should remain on the calendar with other venues vying for dates where available.

29. Doc Ric says:

It’s not made by Tilke & Ecclestone, so it’s good news :D

30. Nullius says:

The question is which races will be dropped – at least four of the existing races will have to go I think if we are to have a maximum of 20 rounds including India, Russia, Austin, and now NJ. France also wants back in, as does Mexico and South Africa (a whole continent without a race??). I bet Portugal perks up again soon too.

Bahrain is toast – I can’t see anyone supporting it given the dreadful record of the government there.

Valencia is loathed by all it seems – including the crowds and most of the city council, so I can’t see it being kept.

Korea looks very precarious. It suffers the same fate as magny cours – it is in the middle of nowhere – and worse, it is poorly attended.

If it wasn’t for the mountain of cash the Chinese government poured into their race the GP would surely have no future. It is one of the circuits that only gets used on F1 weekends.

Alas, I bet Melbourne and Spa are in the firing line, along with Hungary.

Some kind of rotation of the historic circuits will have to be arranged, otherwise F1 will be an even frothier circus than it has become. Perhaps a couple of non-championship races could be held in the off years?

1. Bec says:

There is and there isn’t a maximum number of races in a season.

The Concorde agreement states 17 as a maximum number of events, but with provision for up to 20 races provided the teams are suitable compensated, and there is an extra provision for additional races beyond 20, but this requires the teams to be paid a higher % of F1′s profits.

31. Tim. says:

Ridiculous one more BS venture for BE…trying to get all he can out of two race venues and ruin all the classics ….now Korea cannot even make the race fee ..only two years in …street race in NY will never go.

1. NotBlind says:

I suspect much of the impetus for this came from Ferrari, Mercedes, and perhaps McLaren. What do you think they see as their largest market?

1. Carl says:

India and China will probably be larger markets for them. Mumbai has the more millionaires than anywhere else in the world and India has a middle class larger than the population of the UK.

2. Tim. says:

No doubt the US…but again at what price for the classics

32. roberttty says:

With the Singapore GP due for contract negotiations, do you think Bernie is using the New Jersey GP to put some pressure on the Singapore organisers to pay him more money?

It’s all a big picture, with races as pieces of a jigsaw. I think Singapore is good for both sides, so both sides will not want it to stop now.

33. BBob says:

If the goal is to promote the sport with an eye to actually impressing fans/sponsors then any spot in New Jerey with a New York City skyline view will fail miserably. Anyone who lives or has lived in that area will agree. I lived in that area for 15 years and still maintain a residence there. The only visually appealing this is the NY City skyline. The streets and neighborhoods on the western shore of the Hudson River (directly facing NYC) are quite nice places to live but would be quite unappealing and physically very unattractive. The F1 circus on the streets of Calcutta would make more sense. I’d love to see a race on the Streets of NYC itself. Now THAT would be truly exciting. But alas, NJ is the ugly stepsister of NYC for a reason. Please Bernie, don’t.

34. Roadhog29389 says:

I enjoy street circuits, but i believe there are enough great circuits around that this track isn’t necessary. Although it does prevent one of such circuits getting Tilke’d

35. simon says:

Doesn’t Suzuka contract run out 2012, have they re-negotiated again?

36. Prisoner Monkeys says:

Would anybody complain too much if New Jersey, Mexico and Russia joined the calendar replacing Bahrain, Korea and Valencia?

I know, we can’t just opt-out of races because it suits. But if Bahrain is held in the vice of political instability, it may be dropped altogether, paving the way for New Jersey (or Mexico). And with Korea being dissatisfied with their deal, Bernie might consider that a breach of contract, making room for Mexico (or New Jersey). And by the time Russia is ready in 2014, Valencia will have seen out its seven-year contract.

37. David Chubb says:

It would be nice for two races in the US and if the NEw Jersey circuit is good then I’m sure we’ll want to go there. Get rid of Bahrain and Valencia and even China but bring back Turkey and keep Korea. These two countries have great circuits and we need to keep them. Hungary may be a modern classic but it rarely presents a truly exciting Grand Prix. There are only three I can think of since its debut in 1986 with one being 1997. Catalunya can be gotten rid of in my view it can be kept as a testing circuit but it’s not very good for racing.

In my view F1 can get rid of Bahrain, Valencia, Catalunya, (Hungary and China) keeping Silverstone, Monaco, Spa, Monza, Brazil, Melbourne, Montreal, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Austin and India. the latter set to become modern classics. We want circuits that either hold prestige and/or have a great circuit.

I would want Portugal as it has a great circuit lined up, Russia should be given a shot, South Africa is a key part in F1 history and Mexico should always bring challenging conditions, so New York bring it on. Bernie bring it on just please keep the ones we love and what make the sport so popular

1. Brent McMaster says:

I don’t think Austin is going to last. Having just returned from there; it doesn’t look like anything serious is happening at the site, maybe they can throw it together in 12 months, and the “Don’t Mess With Texas” motto so prevelent in Austin, we came to believe means “foreigners keep out”.

38. Simon Morris says:

This all looks good, my worry is that with so many great circuits and teams that many excellent races could be crowded out. So, here is an idea, what about a 2 tier championship? a second division of F1? This would mean that maybe the top 8 teams race 20 races and at 10 of those 8 other teams compete in secondary races but those second tier teams also compete in 10 separate races thus bringing top quality racing to much more of the globe. A relegation/promotion battle would add an extra dimension to the sport and open up the sport to more teams who could start out at much lower costs.

1. Rudy Pyatt says:

Simon, this is an absolutely, spectacularly, brilliant idea! Promotion and relegation, using all of those unused tracks… brilliant! Just like the Premier League and the Championship.

It’s funny, I just watched QPR beat Chelsea this morning (yeah, they escaped, but a win’s a win), and Norwich draw yesterday, so there’s the obvious football example right there. I don’t know how it works in football, but does a separate organization operate the Championship through the FA? I’d think that you would have to have another “Bernie” figure – a different one, rather – for the second tier, as Ecclestone having total control of both series would probably result in exorbitant rights fees. And I suspect that Bernie having control would run afoul of various anti-monopoly laws.

Maybe call it the FIA Intercontinental Formula Championship?

1. I disagree. It sounds confusing for the fans, expensive to run, and a nightmare to administer.

39. Rudy Pyatt says:

It’s as though Bernie’s never gotten over the fact that Chris Pook called his bluff over the rights fees at Long Beach. This will be the fourth street circuit he’s tried since then.

I’m a lifelong fan; went to four of the seven Indy GPs. This event would even be easy for me to get to, because I live in Brooklyn. But this plan is a triumph of marketing ambition over common sense: Street racing killed F1 in this country. Dallas and Phoenix were both exercises in chase-the-new-Sunbelt-money, doomed to fail. As is well known, in Phoenix, more people attended an ostrich race than attended the last F1 race…

Maybe the solution to drumming up interest here is to go back to the old idea of counting the Indy 500 toward the WDC? I know it’s the same weekend as Monaco (the race Bernie wants every street race to be), but think of the marketing possibilities (Bernie’s goal, and that of the factory teams) of putting Lewis, for example, into the Penske team for the weekend.

Won’t happen, of course, because the teams won’t risk losing WCC points by putting third/reserve drivers into the cars at Monaco.

40. Larry Parker says:

As a native New Jerseyan and rare American F1 fan, I’m thrilled about this — much more than the proposed race down the Hudson River near the Statue of Liberty that ended up being axed.

For those who know New Jersey politics, particularly in that corner of New Jersey, this event will have full support of both American political parties (even though they ordinarily fight like cats and dogs), giving Bernie the backing he wants to ensure the long-term investment will be worthwhile. Hindery is a master businessman and true racer and Wheeler, if actually involved, is America’s leading motorsports promoter.

The waterfront of New Jersey (as in from the movie “On the Waterfront”) is being modernized quickly and can provide the infrastructure (pit complex and otherwise) needed for a 2013-caliber Grand Prix.

But thing that excites me most is the course. It will be a lot like Monaco (albeit with no casinos and five-star hotels). The layout I’ve seen will climb up and down the Palisades, the steep hillside that borders the Hudson River, on narrow city streets. No Tilke constant radius curves here!

Like Monaco, there may not be much overtaking, but it will take a driver with some serious cojones to win this event. And that, I think, the casual American fan will appreciate — which, combined with the lack of any other open-wheel alternative, given Indycar’s continuing implosion and the sad death of Dan Wheldon just last week — may just reignite at least a small fanbase here in the States.

I haven’t even spoken about Austin — don’t know much about the circuit, but it’s a rare economically prosperous major city in America that doesn’t already have a baseball, football or basketball team, so I like Bernie’s idea of making F1, in essence, Austin’s “major leagues.”

Plus, Texas in general will embrace F1. Everyone forgets that the ’84 Dallas Grand Prix was well-promoted, sponsored, televised and attended — it just turned into, alas, one of the two or three biggest organizational fiascos in F1 history due to the combination of the temporary track and brutal heat. That won’t happen for a November race on a purpose-built circuit.

I’m excited about F1′s American future. And I agree that there are plenty of candidates (Valencia, Bahrain, Korea, etc.) to be cut to keep within the 20-race limit that almost no one would miss, including in their own cities/countries!

1. Brent McMaster says:

Texas is not the same hospitable place it was in the 80′s. The only person I found that knew anything about F1, or cared, was at the track site. There were about 20 people on the site, virtually no earth moving equipment; a couple of cement trucks arrived when I was there, but they may have been pouring cement for sign posts. I didn’t see anything happening to indicate the scale of building this project requires. Maybe the buildings are just going to be trailers, tin sheds and outhouses.

41. olderguysrule says:

James, I think Bernard needs to remember the words of the Godfather when dealing with the NJ & NY crowd. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. :>)))

42. chrisf1 says:

Why not have a few races fixed every year like Monaco, Monza, Silverstone, Singapore and Spa and have the rest on a rotating roster from year to year to fit all the venues in?

43. dom jones says:

Another street circuit eh? Street circuits may be a good challenge for the drivers but they don’t often make a good race.

Monaco may be pretty glamourous but that doesn’t make any difference to me in my living room. If its a dry race its usually pretty boring. Valencia and Singapore are the same. In a season where DRS and tyres are making the races more exciting than in any recent year, if they can’t turn Valencia into anything other than a bore fest then its not the cars or the drivers that’s the problem, its the circuit.

We need more open circuits with straights going into hairpins and chicanes with run off areas so the drivers aren’t too careful to avoid the walls you get with street circuits. We need more circuits like Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka. Not more street circuits.

44. Harvey says:

another Bernie Bust! A street circuit with the New York skyline as a backdrop for the world TV feed. Race fans get to spend the weekend at highly overpriced New York hotels and fight brutal traffic jams through the Lincoln Tunnel so they can watch a mickey mouse setup from nothing track along the New Jersey waterfront. Who cares if the waterfront is being rebuilt, ask anyone who isn’t from New Jersey, it’s still New Jersey! Smelly, polluted, crime-infested. Wait ’til the fans from Europe and Asia get to ride NJ Transit or the NY subway system to the race! If Bernie wants/needs more races, bring back the Oesterreichring, bring back Zandvoort, Paul Ricard, and Imola, bring back RACE TRACKS, not made for TV street races like Las Vegas, Long Beach, and Detroit (all flops, Bernie). And just how much money is the financially-strapped State of New Jersey and their Republican Governor going to contribute to this farce? The State is running a $10 billion+ deficit for FY 2012 and had their credit rating downgraded in August. This scheme sounds like another “Turkey” to me!

45. JohnBt says:

Got a strong hunch Singapore will be removed if more street circuits are implemented. Looks like a trend from the ring master, like a city tour. Planning your holidays soon?

46. cbvena says:

A couple of years back a friend and I spent a couple of years with a sim game. Imola to me, was one of the smoothest, rhythmic tracks. Kylami was devil fast, Monza, Monaco, Spa, Silverstone, Suzuka are all institutions, clearly. I’m an American, loved F1 as a kid, but I must agree with the other guys who say Austin doesn’t sound good. What if they take all the Austin money and sink it into Laguna Seca?!!! Or take some tean/sponser money and bring Imola up to date, and yes, how about a French circuit?! How can the country with one of the greatest races of all time, Le Mans, not have an F1 on race?! You know what I’m talking about,,,,!!!

47. Carl says:

F1 Should take note of MotoGP at Laguna Seca. At that event you get to see MotoGP and AMA back to back.

Why couldn’t we have a CART race in the morning, F1 in the afternoon and Nascar in the evening?

That would be a massive event pack out a 400,000 track easy.

1. Tim. says:

You could never get even two organizations inside the fence…

2. Phil says:

Probably because CART doesn’t exist anymore…

48. Tim. says:

The news that this is signed is sad….one more track someone will give up a date for another race in the US….good to see the United States getting back to F1…but at what price

…and new venues have no life expectancy!!!

Two years maybe three before they are broke paying BE

49. palmer_21@hotmail.com says:

A lot of talk, Ill believe it when friday practice starts

50. Richard says:

I’m not convinced there is the appetite for a 2nd GP in the US. However, I’m happy to give it a go as long as it’s not at the expense of one of the long standing and traditional venues. Perhaps some of the fledgling venues should go on the calendar in rotation until they can prove themselves.

1. Tim. says:

F1 will loose two or three classics in two years, BE only wants money not anything more in F1, HE used to …but not anymore.

51. J says:

Time for a classics league then. Teams made up of one ex F1 driver and one up and coming driver in any f1 car from the last 5 years. Existing teams could run their old cars. New teams could run old Toyota or Super Aguri cars. 12 races a year all on classic F1 circuits.

I guess they tried this already and it failed. For me I just watch Moto GP to see some of the older tracks in action.

On topic. Make it a Las Vegas GP. Cheaper and easier for me to manage from the west coast of Canada than Austin or even my own home race in Montreal.

52. jen says:

Fan of the Grand Prix of New York?
    Click: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZcSJsHKM8