Some unfinished business
Suzuka 2014
Japanese Grand Prix
Tour Ferrari factory or attend an F1 test: Smedley charity fundraiser
Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari photo
Posted By: James Allen  |  01 Sep 2011   |  4:33 pm GMT  |  17 comments

Once again JA on F1 is reaching out to F1 fans around the world to dig deep for a very worthy cause.

Felipe Massa’s race engineer, Rob Smedley and his wife Lucy are hosting a fund raising evening for Zoe’s Place Baby Hospice in Middlesborough, which looks after very small children suffering from life threatening conditions.

The Smedleys lost a baby a few years ago.

The fundraiser is taking place in Middlesborough tomorrow night and details of how to attend are below. But fans anywhere in the world are able to bid for the fantastic auction prizes listed below. There are some really nice Ferrari related items, not just experiences like a factory tour or F1, but also genuine memorabilia.

Full list of F1 related bid items includes:

* For two persons an escorted visit to the Ferrari factory in Maranello (which is not available to the general public) to include:
Return flights from Gatwick Airport to Bologna
Lunch at the famous Montana Restaurant at the gates to the factory
Afternoon tour of factory to include the F1 facility
Overnight Hotel accommodation and dinner in Maranello
Tour of the City

* Two places at an F1 Test Day (at Silverstone or Barcelona if no Test at Silverstone) to include:
Hospitality Suite access throughout the day
Breakfast, Buffet Lunch and Afternoon Tea
Complimentary drinks all day
Access to F1 Paddock
Pit Lane Walk

* A romantic weekend away for two persons in a luxury boutique hotel – Crazy Bear Hotel in Beaconsfield – with the use of a Ferrari California for the duration of your stay

Lot 4: 2010 Ferrari Massa racing overalls (worn at Abu Dhabi & Brazilian GPs) signed by Felipe Massa together with certificate of authenticity signed by Stefano Domenicali
Lot 5: 2011 Force India Signed Di Resta overalls (worn in Malaysia)
Lot 6: Team Lotus Signed Kovalainen overalls
Lot 7: Virgin Signed Glock overalls
Lot 8: script donated by BBC Television’s F1 team – F1 show where Lewis Hamilton won a race – signed by Eddie Jordan, David Coulthard, Jake Humphries & Lewis Hamilton
Lot 9: 2010 Signed Alonso fireproof Underwear (worn Belgian & Italian GPs) – together with certificate of authenticity signed by Stefano Domenicali
Lot 10: 2010 Signed Alonso gloves (worn Belgian & Italian GPs) together with certificate of authenticity signed by Stefano Domenicali
Lot 11: Signed Race shirt belonging to Stefano Domenicali – signed by Domenicali, Alonso & Massa
Lot 12: 2008 Ferrari F1 design signed by Nikolas Tombazis and Pat Fry
Lot 13: Mercedes Pitstop helmet signed by Schumacher and Rosberg together with certificate of authenticity signed by Ross Brawn
Lot 14: Williams Rear wing end plate signed by Barrichello and Maldonado
Lot 15: 1/2 size replica of Jensen Button’s 2011 driving helmet signed by him.

Lot 16: 1/2 size replica of Lewis Hamilton’s 2011 driving helmet signed by him.

Lot 17: Replica Fisichella Renault Helmet
Lot 18: Two pistons from a 2006 Cosworth V10 engine supplied to the Jaguar Formula One Team, one has been signed by Rubens Barrichello the other by Pastor Maldonado.

So please get involved and help raise some money. To bid on any of the above before the Friday night event, or for tickets to the event at Beamish Hall Country House Hotel, Middlesborough, UK please contact:
elaine@zoes-place.org.uk or phone +44 (0)1642 457985

Featured Video
ferhorsepower
Horse Power – Shell & Ferrari’s journey to 2014
Featured News in ferrari
MORE FROM Ferrari
LATEST FROM THE SCUDERIA FERRARI COMMUNITY
  1. Borg says:

Bidding will get HOT on the pre-worn fireproof underwear!

1. Moog says:

“Lot 9: 2010 Signed Alonso fireproof Underwear (worn Belgian & Italian GPs)”
      I hope that these are not from 2010 as Alonso crashed in Spa that year. This could be seriously second hand underwear!

1. KS says:

Right, they might be a bit dirty inside lol

2. Lilla My says:

Great people the Smedley are.

If you’re interested: Lucy Smedley is also organising a charity 10 km run on Saturday (3rd September). She will raise money also for children’s charities: http://finlaycooperfund.co.uk/about_us.html

You can donate Lucy here: http://www.justgiving.com/lucysmedley

[to the mods: please put this comment through, despite it being a kind of an ad. And you can delete the part in brackets;)Thank you and have a nice day.]

3. verstappen says:

a lottery would be more attractive to me. I can’t possibly win in an auction against the riches of the world.

1. newton says:

aye. it’ll raise a heap of cash, but it’s got nothing to do with us ordinary folks.

1. It does make sense to offer money can’t buy items to incentives the wealthiest to dig deep.

Such auctions raise public awareness of the cause, which will help with the fundraising down the line.

I don’t think the aim of a charity fundraiser is for anyone to realise he or she cannot afford to give enough to ‘win’ a prize. People either empathise with the cause or not.

4. Fernley says:

Gotta love Rob. Bid items sound great but imagine I would get outbidded. Bit confused at seeing Schumi there in all the Ferrari clobber?!

1. Coefficient says:

It’s not confusing at all. Firstly it’s obviously a post 2006/pre 2010 photo with Michael pictured in his advisory jeans.

Michael is irrevocably part of the Ferrari DNA, he is the darling of the team winning 5 times as many titles as the next most recent Ferrari champion. So strong is his link to Ferrari that his current team even let him wear red helmet and gloves in the car. Clearly a mark of respect for his former team if you ask me.

Ferrari are clearly getting behind Rob on this in a big way. They often talk of being a big family so I’m sure the Smedley’s recent tragedy resonated throughout the team and its only natural that they would want to involve their biggest names to make the event as successful as possible. Michael is still Ferrari’s biggest name.

Massive respect to the team for this effort! Being a Mclaren fan Ferrari are normally my nemesis but this is a great cause so I’m calling a cease fire to support the it.

Being a peasant I’ll not be able to outbid for anything but I’ll give it a go.

Good Luck Rob and Ferrari!!

5. Borg says:

Fire a shot at some items anyway. You never know. If you don’t win, you boost the value and charity wins. Or you may win a few items.

If Massa wasn’t so short, I’d fire a shot at those overalls. Halloween is near!

6. jjpm says:

Why ? Charity and caring about sick kids is one race where Michael is always in pole…

7. Suky says:

Great cause.
    It would be nice to win the top prize not at an auction where I would have no chance. Whoever gets top prize probably doesn’t support Ferrari but they got the money something I have not got.

8. Paul Mc says:

Wow some really great lots up for auction there, id love to be rich enough for the Ferrari tour. Hopefully this raises some serious cash for the charity and hats off to those involved.

9. Mark in Australia says:

All fantastic items!! I’ll be placing a bid. One of my motorsport bucket list ideas is a tour of a top F1 factory!! Giddy up!!!

There should be more if this kind of stuff!

10. clemo says:

Fantastic cause and great lots…although sadly I’ve not been able to persuade Mr clemo to exchange our modest savings for Alonsos fire proof undies…

Maybe someone will do a charity F1 lottery for the vast majority of fans who have far less
    spare money but would still like to support a good cause and have the opportunity to win some F1 goodies.

is it possible to show us how much each of the bids raised?

11. Randy Torres says:

Well I submitted my three pitiful laughable bids. Never heard from Zoe’s so I assume I didn’t win, but at least I was in the hunt and it was for a very good cause. I’m a father of two and can’t imagine what I’d do if anything happened to my children, so even if I embarrassed myself with my piddling little bids, I did so for a noble cause and I was happy to do it if it helped just a little bit. Besides now I can say with pride: Brooklyn in da house! Bet that will shock some of the Lords and Ladies! I hope they raised millions.

My deepest regrets to the Smedleys,

1. Randy Torres says:

I did receive an email from Zoe’s Place with the auction results. I would share the results, but I’m not sure if its appropriate. I would encourage those of you that are interested in making a contribution to visit: http://www.zoes-place.org.uk/ for more information.

Seems like the final bids were within my means after all, but sadly I didn’t win any item. My mistake was poor auction management, I should have focused my available resources on the 1 item that really struck my fancy because I could have actually won it. Too bad. One result made me laugh uncontrollably: no one bid for the Middlesbrough Football shirt! YWNA

@James Allen the phrase, “May you sleep among the tall trees” is a Native American saying of profound meaning. Coined by Native Americans of the southwest American deserts, many of whom did not see a tree in their lifetime, it was meant to convey a sense of peace to the family that suffered the loss of a loved one as well as a desire that the soul rest in a spiritual and peaceful place among living breathing beings that reached out to the heavens. My sincerest apologies if I offended English sensibilities.