Hot fun in Summertime
Budapest 2014
Hungarian Grand Prix
“Senna” movie breaks box office records on UK opening
“Senna” movie breaks box office records on UK opening
Posted By: James Allen  |  07 Jun 2011   |  1:50 pm GMT  |  84 comments

The film about the life of Ayrton Senna has broken the record for the highest grossing opening weekend for a documentary film in British cinema history. And its success means that more cinemas will start showing it from next week.

Pandey (right) with director Asif Kapadia

The film opened in UK cinemas on Friday June 3rd and took $614,000 for the weekend (£375,000), which is a new record for a documentary. For comparison the acclaimed documentary “Touching the void” had gross sales of less than a third of Senna in its opening weekend.

Senna has received rave reviews from critics, with Jeremy Clarkson calling it “unmissable” and BBC movie critic Mark Kermode describing it as one of two “must-see” films this year. It has also had a great deal of publicity in the last couple of weeks, as audiences and media have cottoned on to the visceral quality of the film and its compelling storyline. It seems the film has strong crossover appeal with non-F1 fans equally moved by the treatment.

“We’re overwhelmed, ” said the film’s writer and executive producer Manish Pandey. “The Senna film has come home to the UK and it’s wonderful to see joy with which people receive it.

“We knew we were making something special and it’s great that British fans agree.”

Universal have responded to the demand for the film by opening it in more cinemas across the UK from next week. Details of the scale-up will be announced shortly by the company.

1. Paul Mc says:

I went to see “Senna” last night in Dublin. Great film its just a shame so much footage was cut from the final film. Definite Blu-ray purchase for all the extra material. James any word on the Blu-ray release date?

Also the movie really made me think about those who have died racing and the risks involved in driving F1 cars back then. Current F1 drivers enjoy the relative safety of modern car design and circuits and its amazing how far the sport has come in this regard.

1. The other Ian says:

Not just safer (as Monaco demonstrated), but also currently more reliable. I mean how many cars actually failed to finish due to mechanical failures this year?

1. Dom says:

Good point – Senna lost 3 or 4 victories in 1989 due to mechanical issues. It should have been 9:1 to Senna in terms of victories to Prost that year….

2. Sebee says:

I’ve seen the long 2:42 cut. I for one think less is more. The cut you saw is way better in my view than the long one. Sure, they cut out Prost interview from it. But it’s not about Prost, or Prost’s view of Senna. It’s about Senna. The final cut removes all the other people coloring Senna for the audience. Plus it makes it watchable. 2:42 – you have to be a committed F1 fan to watch that. My wife was asleep 20 minutes in with all the talking heads on gray background.

This movie really is a must see, and it should be viewed in a theater. Senna really is larger than life on the big screen.

1. Paul Mc says:

Yeah I guess youre right there. For a general release 1hr 45 was about right, I guess the extra material on the bluray is more for F1 fantatics.

Overall a fantastic film and a great tribute to Senna. Delighted it’s doing well at the box office.

2. irish con says:

i cant find anywere to see it over here in the north of ireland

1. Ian H says:

The QFT will be showing it from 17th June, thats the only cinema I’ve been able to find it in so for, lets just hope this announcement by universal will see it open more cinemas

2. UnklePhunky says:

The only place definitely showing it so far in Northern Ireland is the QFT in Belfast in a couple of weeks time. Check out their website.

3. d.h. says:

It’s a sorry state of affairs when the JLS ‘film’ gets a national showing, and the film about the greatest driver ever is shown in a handful of cinemas.

4. TYrone says:

In Belfast at
      City Side Moviehouse from 10th -17th
      Odyssey Cinema 10th dont know for how long
      Queens Film Theater 17th – 13rd
      Victoria Square Odeon 21st dont know for how long

and also in Omniplex cinemas across ROI and NI on 21st but check their website for locations and times

5. seisteve says:

Guys

Here in Belgium they do not even have a release date… I can feel a trip to the UK coming on…

3. Galapago555 says:

Congrats to Director Asif Kapadia and Writer Manish Pandey for this superb job and for their deserved success.

I watched the film last Saturday in Madrid with my wife and one of my children. Both of them were impressed and enjoyed the film as much as I did.

I was able to confirm that the film is even more touching for non-F1 fan, as their knowledge of Senna is limited to “he was a great driver, one of the greatest” and “he was killed in a racing accident”. They knew very few about his controversy with Ballestre, for example, and were shocked with the infamous “best decision is my decision”. Or the amazing interview with Jackie Stewart.

Now I’m trying to verify that the film will still be showing in Madrid next weekend so I’m able to watch it for a second – and I’m sure much more interesting – time.

4. Galapago555 says:

Btw, for any information related to the film – showing in other countries, etc. – I suggest you try to contact via Twitter @asifkapadia @mpandey69, and local Universal Films as well.

5. Jonny White says:

I went to see it last night and it was absolutely immense – one of the best films I’ve ever seen and easily the most emotional moment I have ever experienced in a cinema.

I’ve always been a massive Senna fan (he’s the sole reason I started following F1 as a child) and I was an absolutely distraught 13 year old when the tragic events of Imola unfolded before my eyes. Consequently, I found the final moments of the film harrowing and I am not ashamed to say there were plenty of tears as the final moment approached!

Senna was pure box office, an enigmatic figure that just seemed to have an aura about him that I find impossible to exactly put my finger on – other than, I believe he was granted a gift that goes way beyond the ability to drive a racing car better than anyone else at the time. Just look at the pride he gave the people of Brazil.

One spooky moment in the film is when his future girlfriend on Brazilian TV (in 1988 I think), following some serious flirting, wishes Ayrton a happy new year up until and including 1993!

With his many gifts, I think it would be hard to make a bad film about him, and I’m sure a 3/4/5 hour film would, in some ways, have been even better for F1 anoraks such as ourselves – i.e. a greater emphasis on 1993 when he was in his pomp at Donnington, etc.

However, Mr Pandey deserves immense credit for producing – particularly for mainstream audiences – a magical piece of cinema, that I’m certain will rightfully bring the legend of Senna to a whole new generation!

RIP Ayrton, you will never be forgotten, the greatest racing driver I have ever seen and still my favourite sportsman!

1. Mark says:

I to was somewhat shocked as i listened to her go up through the years then stop at 1993!
      Spooky how things are when you look at them!

1. Dom says:

Wasn’t it!

6. Chapor says:

Waiting anxiously for the DVD… James, when do you think you will be able to offer it in the JA.F1Shop?

Before Christmas!

1. Chapor says:

Christmas is in June isn’t it…? Please…

:-)

2. Jose - Perth says:

Fantastic! Can I book/pay mine now? There might not be enough for demand on this site alone…

7. I’m glad it’s doing so well, it’s a shame the cinemas gave it quite a limited release but I suppose on the face of it, it does like like quite a niche film.

I was utterly blown away by it. Senna was like a superhero to me and I think I maybe damped down a lot of my feelings because of the pain of losing my hero at an impressionable age. He died the day after my 14th birthday. As my brother’s birthday is 1st May, we were having our birthday party on that Sunday and my friends and I watched the race. I had a fight with one of the other boys that evening because he said Senna was dead. I’d only heard that he was “clinically dead” and, absurd as it may seem now, part of me was convinced that he would recover. He was Ayrton Senna after all, he did impossible things all the time.

I was reminded of all the reasons why I loved him so much and left the theatre feeling a mixture of elation and exhaustion. I felt myself welling up at various points but the part that really got me wasn’t the poweerful sequence from his funeral, where the director cuts from images of people mourning to shots showing how Senna had touched their lives. It was the press conference where a journalist asks who his greatest rival was and he names Terry Fullerton, his old karting rival. Something about the purity of that cut right through me.

I’m glad the film will be getting a longer run. I’ve been trying hard to convince my non-F1 friends to go and see it because I know they’ll love it. I also want to catch it again myself, I was thinking of going with the girlfriend but I think walking out of the cinema emotionally shattered might kill the mood somewhat!

8. A truly great documentary. Have seen it 3 times already!!

9. The other Ian says:

Congratulations to all those concerned in the making of this film.

10. Simon Donald says:

That’s fantastic news James! I certainly cant wait to see it myself. We have our tickets for the Senna showing here in Sydney at the Sydney Film Festival on 19th June. Any idea if anyone from the production team is planning on coming to Sydney for our “premiere”?

1. Joe says:

Simon, i’m with you on that!
      I have been counting each day until the 19th of June, it will be a special day for us Senna fans & F1 lovers.
      I’ve been waiting for this on the big screen for the last 17 years and can not wait.
      I have a bad feeling i’ll need a box of kleenex.
      Anyone else going to the Sydney Film Festival showing on the 19th?

1. Trixie says:

Yes, just bought tickets for hubby & myself today. Pity how I only appreciated his talents after his death. Senna was a main rival of my driver of the time, Mansell.

11. Michael T says:

It could have made more in its first week if more theatres had shown it!!! No release in Northern Ireland at all until 17 June….

1. Tyrone says:

no, this friday (ive just copied and pasted the next bit from another reply i made above)
      In Belfast at
      City Side Moviehouse from 10th -17th
      Odyssey Cinema 10th dont know for how long
      Queens Film Theater 17th – 13rd
      Victoria Square Odeon 21st dont know for how long

1. Michael T says:

Wow! My searching skill sneed refreshed! I checked all those before I posted and found nothing….

Cheers!

12. richy says:

that’s awesome! Hopefully it’ll get a wide enough release now that I stand a chance of actually getting to see it on the big screen :)

13. James D says:

I went to see it on the night it was released. It was actually quite hard to find a cinema that was showing it! I had to travel a bit.

Glad its getting a general release now, I might go and see it again locally.

14. Dan says:

Saw it on the release night in the Little Theatre Bath.

Really emotional film, but truly fantastic.

First scene with Ayrton’s mum talking about her fears for him entering F1 was enough for me to well up!

The tension that builds towards the inevitable conclusion is immense. I could feel my hairs standing on end when the Imola caption appeared at the bottom of the screen.

Agree, one of the best films I’ve ever seen, and easily the most emotionaly involving.

1. Stu says:

Hello Dan – Stu/lespikey off Flickr here, I presume this is you!

Anyway. I saw it at the Little Cinema in Bath today, and was blown away. I didn’t get into F1 until 1992 so I missed Senna at his arguable best (88-91) so I have to admit I didn’t idolise him as a kid. I did, however, support Williams due to Mansell and, latterly, Hill so seeing a Williams crashing at Imola in 94 was a big deal.

The last half hour brought back the horrible memories of a 9yr old watching a weekends F1 with Barichello’s bad crash, Ratenzburger and Senna’s fatal accidents. I remember the Sunday as if it were yesterday and while in shock at the time, I wasn’t really old enough to have any emotion at the time.

So I made up for it at the moment Sid Watkins described when he thought Senna’s soul had departed. What a moment.

Oh, and Balestre came across as a complete idiot.

1. Dan says:

Hi Stu,

Different Dan I’m afraid, but wow are your flickr pics awesome :)

Living in Bath and coming from the Dorset coast there are lots of great images of places I know very well!

I wasn’t really into F1 when some of the darker events took place. I’d not seen Barrichellos crash before… really horrific. I’m so glad accidents of this severity seem to be a thing of the past. You only need to look at Webbers crash last season, and how he immediately got out of the car, to see how safety has improved.

Thanks

Dan

2. Stu says:

Damn! That’s where presumption gets you.

Yes in hindsight, Barrichello’s almost seemed the worst crash of the 3.

And yes, thankfully safety is so much better now – you only have to look at Perez’s accident last week for proof of that.

(Cheers for the comments on the photos!)

15. Andy C says:

I attended the tag event at the curzon and had the chance to have a quick chat with james.

I thought the movie was great, and the cinematography was excellent.

If I had one cricism of the movie, I missed a lot of the great rivalry ayrton had with other drivers too. not just Prost.

Manish said recently in a Redbull supplement in one of the broad sheets over the weekend, that if they had one regret it was the portrayal of Prost.

I hadnt seen a lot of the footage of JM Balestre as I was too young, but what a character.

“My decision is the right decision”, ahem,.

“The best decision is my decision,” the best line in the film!

1. Galapago555 says:

I also liked “I find amazing for you to make such a question”, when asked by Jackie Stewart about the number of times that he had made contact with other drivers on the last 36 or 48 months. “If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you’re no longer a racing driver. Because we are competing, and we are competing to win…”

IMHO, that sums it up perfectly.

2. Becken says:

the best line in the film!

Yes, I really like this one, but it is absolutely amazing how Ayrton could elaborate so quickly that answer he gave to Sir Jackye Stewart regard his contacts with other drivers in fights for positions:

“…By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it’s not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

I race to win as long as I feel it’s possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it’s impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I’m doing it right.

— Ayrton Senna

Interestingly, I have read this quote popping up at every corner in the internet in the last few days after Lewis ´s drive at Monaco, showing how deep thinker was Senna about his own sport.

The man is still alive…

But can you imagine any driver today, especially one whose 1st language isn’t English, using the term ” as a consequence” ? He spoke do eloquently in several languages. A rare gift in a sportsman

4. gond says:

Well, that is the spirit, that is what F1 is about.
        However now Hamilton gets punished twice for trying to overtake where there is a gap in Monaco. Or Alonso for trying to overtake him in Malaysia…

5. Matthew says:

I particularly liked Ayrton referring to Sir Jackie as ‘Stewart’ before going on to explain that the accusation was ridiculous!

What a brilliant film it is.

The whole Imola passage was remarkable. It’s one of the few races that I’ve ever missed the live broadcast of and to see the events play out from behind the scenes was incredibly moving.

I watched the film last night and I’ve been unable to think of much else since.

For anyone that is interested, visit http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk – there is a whole series of blog posts about the making of the film (9 in total) that I found fascinating.

2. I loved that moment as well, it was like Balestre realising that he wasn’t necessarily the most powerful person in his own empire.

Does the film paint an accurate picture of Balestre, James? Or is he given a dash of pantomime villain?

Yes. I only overlapped with him for two seasons but that’s how he was

3. AndyFov says:

I didn’t get into F1 until after Senna’s death. It was the Hill / Schumacher years
      that got me hooked, so I learnt a lot about the sport from the era that predates my interest.

You’re right about Balestre, but it was nice to see him yield in that drivers’ meeting… He can’t have been all bad.

I missed out on the JA board do, but was lucky enough to see the film in Cambridge with a Q&A afterwards. The filmmakers seemed quite proud of the fact that the story is told from Senna’s perspective. When asked if they thought that had been unfair they indignantly maintained that was the right tack because Ayrton can’t complain if he doesn’t like it. Prost can. That seems reasonable enough to me.

I’ve a newfound admiration for Ron Dennis since watching the film. All told a great movie, beautifully put together and its inclusion on my xmas list is a must!

1. Jo Torrent says:

“where is the consistency ?”

2. Dom says:

Loved the scene showing Ron Dennis replaying a race in order to demonstrate where the drivers had cut the chicane and not been penalised.

4. Jo Torrent says:

I think that we need a film on Ballestre. He is much more colorful than any driver can ever be even if most of the colors are dark.

“The best decision is my decision,” really epic and to say it in front of drivers, team managers & cameras gives a hint at the image the man has of himself.

16. Paul L says:

Went to go an see the film last night at the PictureHouse in Cambridge

Been an F1 fan longer than I can remember, found the film to be an fascinating insight into what a great man Senna was and a very moving piece of film. Will be getting the DVD for sure.

17. Thomas Upton says:

I went to see it on friday in, me and my dad were amazed when we looked at the cineworld/odean/VUE websites and found only one was showing the film out of London and that was in Cheshire Oaks, an 1hr from home. DId the film not get enough adverts as when we entered the VUE showing it there wasn’t a single poster for it. It’s an amazing film though, I thought the best line was “If you no longer go for gap, you no longer racing driver” (not the best use of the English language. At the end I was close to tears, for the first time ever in a film -I’ve seen- most people stayed till the very end of the credits and when I left I saw someone who looked like the type of person who you’d avoid on the street crying.

18. Crys says:

I saw it on Saturday. Wonderful, ended up in tears more than once… I had forgotten how graphic the accident footage was, and somehow,I remembered Ratzenberger’s death more clearly than Senna’s – or maybe it was footage not released in the UK before. Very emotional stuff though. The audience stayed in their seats right to the end of the credits too!

I suppose it did make a meal of the rivalry between Senna and Prost, perhaps at the expense of similar rivalry with other drivers, but (to me at least) it wasn’t a completely negative portrait of Prost, thought I can understand he he feels a bit hard done by.

‘The best decision is my decision’ – it makes Max and Bernie look positively reasonable!

1. Chris says:

The BBC wisely cut to their own cameras when the international feed got too graphic which is probably why the images were new to you.

We had Eurosport at the time, which didn’t censor the coverage, although I couldn’t bare to watch the pictures.

Had to drive to Leeds to watch the film last night and it is an amazing and emotional film which does him justice. What struck me for the first time, on the big screen, was the violence of the crash.

I couldn’t believe he died and I still can’t.

2. jay harte says:

i agree they should have showed some of
      senna and mansells bust ups and ding dongs
      that was the another brilliant rivalry we didnt get to see any of in this film .
      that balestre guy was a joke and a fool .
      putting the pole slot off the racing line
      just to help prost ,disgraceful .
      senna did right to nurf him off the circuit at the first corner .

19. Conrad M. Sathirweth says:

Does anyone know when/if the soundtrack is going to be released?

I hope soon, it’s fantastic.

1. Paul1275s says:

The music was brilliant, I particularly liked the track playing when Senna was flying the helicopter. The track listing was also in the end credits so a bit of Googling/Itunes research would probably find most of them if a Soundtrack isn’t released.

20. Dom says:

Was shocked seeing Rowland Ratzenberger’s death as I hadn’t seen it before.

I thought the film was great. I would have added some footage of his overtakes – say a 5 minute montage and also qualify why Senna and Prost were both fighting for the championship at Suzuka in ’89 – i.e Senna lost 3 races that Prost then went on to win through unreliability but as it was, the film was great.

I’ll probably go and see it again and I also look forward to the DVD.

21. Flintelli says:

loved the film.
    enjoyed it so much. I have a new found respect for Senna. It wasn’t all about him. Legend

22. Neil says:

I saw it on Friday night. A good documentary but I don’t think it’s really deserving of the big screen. There was nothing in it that was “special” enough to distinguish it from any other documentary you see on TV.

1. U Div says:

Yes, Neil. Totally agree. You are so right. Even the experts seem to agree.

You very lame troll.

23. DA says:

I really enjoyed it too although, as has been said, large areas were skipped over. I guess that was inevitable with a 90-minute running time though and hopefully the DVD extras will flesh out other rivalries and important moments.

Perhaps my one disappointment would be that I didn’t feel anything new or earth-shattering was uncovered for fans who’ve read any of the Senna books over the years or the 90s documentaries and interviews. However, I suppose in many ways the film wasn’t setting out to do that and it probably wouldn’t be possible even if it had as so much of the source material has already been used.

It was still a fantastic watch – as said above, the drivers’ briefings were interesting to see and there was a horrible sense of dread watching the in-car footage of Senna’s final laps around Imola again.

As a youngster at the time Senna was always ‘the villian’ to me because of his aggressive tactics, but it’s clear how simplistic that view was.

A truly great driver and, as James says, so beautifully articulate. Although I’m not religious, I’d take Senna talking about an out-of-body experience around Monaco any day over the corporate line of “Thanks to the guys back at the factory” that today’s drivers have to trot out.

Many of the people in the screening I was at also stayed right to the end of the credits which I think shows powerful it was. I’ll hopefully catch it again on the big screen before picking it up on DVD.

24. James says:

I Saw it on Sunday. Utterly fantastic film. So moving. i was almost in tears at the end.

25. Robert Burton says:

I cant work out whats going on with the release date I live in the UK. People have seen it but all cinemas I seem to go to watch it say its not available till 21st??

26. Nic Maennling says:

Not the biggest fan of Senna so I will wait until the DVD release. He did not fit in with my view of what an all round F-1 driver should be. He lacked the fairness which I admire in many other drivers.

1. Nenad says:

You should definitely watch the movie!

2. Yghor says:

Obviously, you don’t know anything about Senna.

Watch the movie.

1. Nic Maennling says:

Thank you for your understanding reply.

I’ve seen him come and go and yes, I do know a lot about him. He’s the one who said that god guided around the track !

Obviously, you have only ever watched the movie.

Purposely punting your fellow competitors off the track says it all for me.

I will watch the movie when it finally comes to this part of the world.

27. OurNige says:

James, any idea if and when this film is coming to Canadian cinemas?

28. Jack says:

Went last night and loved it. Extremely powerful film, i felt very out of sorts for a few hours afterwards. I was only 4 years old when Senna dies but it still bring up some strong emotions. Senna’s face when he saw them trying to resuscitate Roland Ratzenberger was a powerful moment.

Can’t wait for the DVD, I’ll probably go and see it again though.

29. ACr says:

All I can add is that it is the only film in the last decade that has completely kept my attention. That was the long version, and even that felt short.

No film has made me go through virtually every human emotion either. From hope and inspiration to sheer, almost unwatchable, horror. What other film has done that?

Only Senna “haters” will find fault. Neutrals will just see a damn good film.

30. John says:

Took a day off and went to see it – alone – on Monday at Cineworld in Milton Keynes. Did not take the other half to avoid the questions that would surely be asked. It seems like the other 10 blokes in the cinema had the same idea………fantastic film , I had forgotten how often God was mentioned in the Senna era. The only – tiny – dissappointment I had was that the epic Mansell / Senna duel down the Barcelona straight in 1991 was only shown fleetingly – in the credits. Having seen that GP live on TV (and still having the VHS tape as I used to record every race back then) I remember vividly the “shoot out” .In slow motion you can see both helmets turning to face each other no each other no doubt both men screaming , “I’m not braking first……!!” or words to that effect. The accompanying James Hunt soundtrack , shouthing , “look at this , wheel to wheel stuff…….” was riveting at the time and would have been a good inclusion to the film.
    I seem to recall reading an atricle later that Mansell was one of the few drivers Senna could not intimidate and the Barcelona overtake cemented that idea. Senna , Mansell , Prost , Piquet……..those like me who were around to watch those battles at the time were truly priveleged.

31. Steve Selasky says:

I will be seeing this film on Saturday at the Saugatuk, Michigan Waterfront Festival.

I am absolutly delighted to see it on the big screen in the States. As F1 is not popular stateside.

32. Bob says:

I went to see it last night with a few friends. It’s the first film I’ve ever been to where everyone sat in silence for the credits and then go up an left with barely a murmur. I’d forgotten so much of what happened back then and it brought back lots and lots of memories. A must see documentary…

33. Landon says:

James, is there any word on a limited release in Canada? I heard it was at the film festival last year but nothing since.

34. DaveF says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this but I will probably wait for the DVD. There is only one small cinema anywhere near me currently showing this.

I wasn’t a big Senna fan at the time as I thought he was incredibly arrogant and dangerous. Plus as a Ferrari fan he was driving for the enemy! I could always appreciate his immense talent and commitment though. It is funny how being a Schumacher fan made me reassess my opinion of Senna as they both had many similar qualities (particularly the win at all costs). I think the main reason people rate Senna so much higher than Schumacher is that Senna had such charisma and force of personality whereas Schumacher was very reserved and hid his emotions.

Both came across arrogant which I think is necessary to be a true champion (it is a fine line between confidence in your own ability and arrogance and I think the best drivers whilst they may not actually be arrogant will seem that way to outsiders because of their supreme confidence).

I think Alonso is perhaps the only current driver who comes close but maybe that is because just as Schumacher was there at the end of the Senna era so learnt his trade that way Alonso was around at the end of the Schumacher era. We seem to be moving into a very different era in F1 now with such personalities not being so common. Maybe it is my age but I see the Senna/Prost/Mansell/Piquet era as a golden age of F1.

1. Yghor says:

I respext your opinion, but… it’s just wrong to compare Senna to Schumi.

Senna was everything BUT arrogant and even if his driving was tough and agressive he never did dirty tricks like Schumi.

Senna was amazing with bad cars and with rain, Schumi is a great driver but always with great cars.
      With same cars Senna could beat any driver of that time, and that was the golden era of F1, with the greatest drivers. In wet conditions Senna could lap any car, even better cars than his.

In F1 history there are great drivers, 4 or 5 amazing drivers.. and Senna!

35. O.S says:

Saw the film in Camden. Like others, the audience sat in silence throughout the credits and the procession out of the cinema at the end was like a funeral.

It was a very moving film, and didn’t set out to illuminate some previously unknown area of Senna’s life.

The decision to go with the Prost / Senna narrative was smart, although as others have said glossed over the rivalries with Mansell and Piquet.

The way the producers teed up the ending was very clever, too. We all knew what happened, yet we were given little clues such as when Xuxa wished Senna happy new years up to 1993, his interview about future plans etc.

The only moment that diluted the tension for me was the coverage of Donnolly’s crash – as the camera pans out you see a photographer wearing only Y-fronts running around.

The coverage of the funeral, where they show each mourner like Xuxa, Prost – and give a flash back to a happier time was the most moving part for me.

I’ve seen the film 10 times and never noticed the photographer in Y fronts! How did I miss that?

36. Ronan Conlon says:

I really enjoyed Senna, it is the best film I have seen this year and pays homage to the Legend that is the late great Ayrton Senna.
    It was well made and I learnt so much about the great man, his battles with Jean Balestre and Alain Prost and the fact the Williams F1 car he drove in 1994 was more difficult car to drive than previous cars driven by Prost and Mansell in previous years.
    In his life he gave us great memories and his death brought about improvements in safety in F1. I watched the film here in Letterkenny here in Donegal and enjoyed it but felt very sad and shed a tear for the great man when his death was shown.
    Motor Racing lost a legend on May 1st 1994,there will be a driver as good as Ayrton Senna and his legacy will live forever.
    God bless you Ayrton my hero and rest in peace.

37. Tim says:

As i live in spain, my only option is to go and see the dubbed version… but i dont want that. So when’s the DVD coming out in english?

A loyal Senna fan for 19 years now.

38. geoffz says:

Live in US and have the ‘italian’ PAL dvd version. Will probably obtain the english version when it arrives, I would think somewhere after it’s debut in theaters this summer. Excellent film and well done to the filmmakers for presenting the subject in a very cinematic fashion.

39. Yghor says:

For all the ones who download the movie from the internet, be careful with the subtitles. I saw the movie at a friends house and tried all possibly subs available on the web, and ALL of them were really bad traslated. All of them.

I’m telling that as someone who knows french and portuguese.

40. Doug says:

Just saw it here in Australia over the weekend. Very well done, took me a few hours to clear the head after it was over. I had a night off in Imola ’94 after what had happened to Ratzenberger the day before, so didn’t see the race.

What I hadn’t seen before was the Donnelly accident at Jerez. That was just awful. Also the footage of Eric Comas at Spa, where Senna pulls over and is first to get to him.