Posted on March 18, 2011
Senna: JA on F1 fan screening tickets sell out in 40 minutes | James Allen on F1 – The official James Allen website on F1

Tickets for the JA on F1 screening of the documentary film “Senna” in London on May 3rd, went on sale today and sold out in 40 minutes.

Many thanks to all the readers who bought tickets and to those who missed out there will be another chance to get your hands on a pair of tickets in a competition nearer the time.

This will be a rare opportunity for fans in the UK to see the film before the premiere.

Kapadia (L) and Pandey will talk about making the film

The film opened in Japan and Brazil last Autumn to rave reviews and recently won the Audience award for world documentary at the Sundance Film Festival. Using only archive footage, it charts the story of Ayrton Senna, considered by many to be the greatest driver in the sport’s history, from his arrival in F1 to his death on May 1 1994.

I think it’s a masterpiece both in its telling of a thrilling but tragic story and the way it brings the sport to life so vividly, in all its good and bad shades.

Much of Senna’s life was lived on public display and there are some extraordinary scenes in this film, simply because he had a camera on him so much of the time.

After the screening Director Asif Kapadia and writer/producer Manish Pandey will do a Q&A session with me on stage and we will have some very special guests who played their part in the Senna story.

Tags:
Senna: JA on F1 fan screening tickets sell out in 40 minutes
60 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: S Quilter
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Phew! Glad I was able to get two tickets. Cannot wait for this screening, thanks James for giving us the opportunity!

seisteve Reply:

You are lucky… sold out in no time at all…

2.   2. Posted By: PaulL
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

James, have you ever rated your top drivers of all time?

James Allen Reply:

No, but I could only do a rating of the ones I’ve seen race, couldn’t compare Clark, Moss, Stewart etc with Senna, Schumacher. Senna was the best I’ve ever seen, no doubt.

PaulL Reply:

Interesting, thanks.

It’s not often thought about given what his death meant in so many other walks, but we were deprived of a great sporting contest in 1994 and beyond. I can’t think of a more compelling head-to-head than Schumacher and Senna across a season, particularly with the sort of sprint-race demands put on by refuelling’s reintroduction.

3.   3. Posted By: Stephen Hill
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

How much of the proceeds will go to the charity?

4.   4. Posted By: Ivan Julian
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

What a wonderful night that sounds like.

A nice bottle of Veuve Cliquot before the screening with some friends, followed by a terrific Q & A with notable motor sport identities. I can’t imagine a more enjoyable evening.

Absolutely wish I could be there – alas, Australia seems so far away sometimes.

Have a great night that night, James.

And make sure to get Gerhard Berger, if he’s there, to recount the briefcase helicopter story.

5.   5. Posted By: Richie
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Got mine. Thanks James!

6.   6. Posted By: Paul D
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Thanks James. Delighted to have got my ticket and really excited about the event. Incredible how fast they sold out!!

7.   7. Posted By: mark roberts
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Sold out already?!

8.   8. Posted By: Gabriel
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

James, will you be there as well?

James Allen Reply:

Of course! I’m doing the Q&A!

9.   9. Posted By: Chris Searle
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Thanks so much James for setting up this first UK showing of the film.

Tickets soon disappeared!!

Looking forward to it.

CS

10.   10. Posted By: Unhappy Chap
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Tickets on sale on a Friday lunchtime?! I’ve been refreshing your site several times a day, only to miss out on poor timing.

Gutted!

11.   11. Posted By: Alex Maunders
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

Hi James, was just wondering if there are any spare tickets available?

I am so gutted I missed it :(

[Reply]

12.   12. Posted By: Gavin Brown (RubberGoat)
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

Sold out already? Damn, I was strongly considering making the trip over from Denmark just to see it – I have tried to contact Universal Pictures here (at Asif Kapadia’s request), but still not heard back from him.

Any chance of a second screening?

13.   13. Posted By: Adam
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Did I miss this already, or are the tickets still to go on-line? I recieved a tweet, went to the site and it already said “Sold Out”. If this is the case will there be any more screenings due to high demand? Kind Regards.

14.   14. Posted By: Rob Haswell
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Sold out within hours!

15.   15. Posted By: Dave
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

D’oh, sold out!

I nip out to lunch for an hour and look what happens! :)

16.   16. Posted By: Kenny
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

17.   17. Posted By: Mark Williams
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Wow I can’t believe I managed to get a couple of tickets. The 3rd of May can’t come soon enough now!

Look forward to seeing you then James.

18.   18. Posted By: stephan
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Sold out already, SO DISAPPOINTED

19.   19. Posted By: Julian
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

Thank you so much for arranging an event like this for us diehard Senna fans , this is going to be such a special and emotional night, can’t wait !!!

20.   20. Posted By: John
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Crickey it sold out almost instantly – lets hope my local odeon show it – because it promises to be an excellent film from all of the comments I have read about it on here

21.   21. Posted By: Ben G
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Nuts, sold out already. I’ve been checking as often as work allowed.

My office is just by the Curzon – so if you have any spare seats on the night please let me know!

22.   22. Posted By: Grand Prix Diary
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Looking forward to this James. There are quite a few of our readers going too, a drinkies party is being arranged for after the show…!

23.   23. Posted By: Paul Mc
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Wow that was quick! Congrats to those who got the tickets.

James any plans to video the Q&A for your site?

James Allen Reply:

We will produce a video of the event, yes. Not necessarily the whole Q & A.

24.   24. Posted By: Stuart
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Sold out? Mental

25.   25. Posted By: Maddie DS
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

D’oh!

Covered my friend on our work’s reception at lunch whilst also organising our Comic Relief cake sale, came back, found this was sold out.

Guess that shows no good deed goes unpunished!!

Have fun all those who are going, guess I’ll just have to make do with the DVD I’ve now ordered from the Senna store :)

I expect to hear all about it in lots of detail on here once it’s taken place.

26.   26. Posted By: Wingers
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

James, since you are doing the Q&A, could you please pose this question:
    When is SENNA going to be released in South Africa?

27.   27. Posted By: RPSeymour
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

To those of you lucky enough to have got a ticket, well done.
    Can’t say how jealous I am.
    Missed JA’s tweet and only just saw it.
    Hope it’s a great film and you all enjoy it along with the opportunity to get Q&A with JA and MP the director.

RPSeymour Reply:

Oh and if anyone for any reason can’t make it please save the tickets (2 please for me)
    Pretty please.

28.   28. Posted By: Conor
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

Ah that sucks!! Sold out!… glad I have the DVD arriving next week so.

What happened to the competition you were going to have for tickets? Was back when you first mentioned the possibility of a screening for JAonf1 fans.

29.   29. Posted By: Paul
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

I check my F1 blogs fairly regularly and I’m gutted to have missed this… I had dropped by 3 times today but missed this narrow window :-(

Hope it goes well, but any chance of a second showing for the same good cause?

30.   30. Posted By: Gemma
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

So glad me my dad and my bro got tickets.

Is there a dress code for the night??

Any hints on who the special guests are?

Born 1950 Reply:

Yes; ten gallon hats.

Gemma Reply:

Is that the hint or the dress code? 

31.   31. Posted By: Helen Dixon
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

Gutted to have missed this opportunity….

Please please would you consider a second showing?!!!

Mario Reply:

Looks like there will be a second one.
    And if you miss it again Senna will be in cinemas from June, unless you’re really after the extras like the talk afterwards and seeing the filmmakers.

Helen D Reply:

Fingers crossed for a second one!! It was the q&a more than anything and obviously not having to wait another month! Oh well, still so excited about it!

32.   32. Posted By: Robyn
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

Really pleased to have got tickets for this, I’m not surprised they sold out so fast. Looking forward to it!

33.   33. Posted By: Mario
        Date: March 18th, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

Wow! Tickets were gone in an instant.

Will have to wait a month longer, but I’ll see the film eventually.

Congrats to those lucky ones who got them.

34.   34. Posted By: zenmeister
        Date: March 19th, 2011 @ 12:53 am

There is no way I would pay a premium to pay the film. I can wait a month, but I think it is deplorable that people in Germany, France and Spain before we in the UK do. I carried out my own investigation and the answer is that situation is outside the family’s control. Universal Pictures controls the distribution of the movie and they, unfortunately, decide when and where the movie’s gonna be launched. The family were hoping they would bring the UK date forward together with the other European countries, but apparently they didn’t. Very poor.

35.   35. Posted By: Rich C
        Date: March 19th, 2011 @ 1:40 am

Wow! Just… wow.

36.   36. Posted By: Kishan
        Date: March 19th, 2011 @ 1:49 am

Checked at lunch….nothing on jaonf1.

Must have been about 5 min too soon….life is so cruel sometimes!

Congrats to those who have tickets, you won’t be dissapointed (but you know that already)!

37.   37. Posted By: Matt W
        Date: March 19th, 2011 @ 7:16 am

Hi James, are any of the proceeds going to Charity? Senna donated a lot during his life so it would be nice if so.

Do you know if the wider release/eventual DVD release will have links to charity?

James Allen Reply:

Read the info – proceeds to the Grand Prix Mechanics Trust, some of whose members were Senna’ mechanics. It’s for mechanics who fall on hard times or who need medical or other help/advice.

38.   38. Posted By: monktonnik
        Date: March 19th, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Nuts! I was hoping to go to that.

Still, it will be on general release at some point.

James Allen Reply:

3rd June it will be on general release

Dom Reply:

Great news. I blinked and I missed the GA release.

39.   39. Posted By: Gemma
        Date: March 19th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Is there a dress code for the night?

Thanks

James Allen Reply:

Smart casual, I guess. Would you like it to be white tie?

Gemma Reply:

Well your the host for the night so il leave that one up to you. 

Any hints on who the special guests are??

Thanks

40.   40. Posted By: JJJ
        Date: March 20th, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I’m baffled by the general propensity towards Senna hero worship.

I must admit he is indeed my favourite F1 driver. But that’s all he was, a driver. And one that often drove dirty, to boot. Your average A&E worker at the local hospital is 12 times the hero Senna was. Which is to say, Senna wasn’t any kind of hero. He was out for No. 1, which is absolutely fine and I don’t criticise him for it. But nor do I put him on a hero’s pedestal.

I’d also point out that as good as he was, he’s probably nothing special by today’s standards. I say this because in just about any sport where objective measurements are possible, running being the simplest example, sports people just keep getting better (ie faster). In some running events, the heroes of 30 years ago wouldn’t make the final heats of today, much less win gold.

The likes of, say, Fangio were frankly amateurs compared to the honed and carefully manufactured drivers of today. Of course, that doesn’t make today’s drivers interesting characters or good to watch. But one really must be realistic. It’s difficult enough to know who is the quickest driver in F1 at any one time. And that’s the only reason why people are even able to entertain the idea that drivers from 30 or 50 years ago are as good as today’s. If objective measurements were possible, that illusion would be immediately blown apart.

Mark Williams Reply:

Yes but you can only judge a sportsman to the standards set for him at the time. And the fact is Senna was the best. Would Senna of the 80′s/90′s get beat by the 00′s/10′s drivers? Probably. If he was a part of 00′s/10′s drivers would he get beat? Who knows? But I suspect he would have risen to the challenge. He would have been as fit or fitter and used all the technology available to him to compete with the best. You also can’t underestimate his raw talent. This is what help set him apart in his generation.

You can’t compare an A&E worker to an F1 driver and it just makes no sense to do so. Of course an A&E worker is doing great, and in some cases heroic things. That is their job and there will be some A&E workers doing it better than others.

Senna did not only drive and race F1 car better than anybody else in his generation. He gave millions of dollars to Children’s charities in Brazil, something he kept quiet during his career. Is this not something alone that is worth recognition?

The man is a hero in F1 and Brazil and this is the standard he is being compared to.

41.   41. Posted By: Jeff
        Date: March 21st, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Hi James

Are the seats allocated already or is it first come first serve on the evening?

Thanks!

James Allen Reply:

There are some seats allocated to VIPs etc, but it’s free seating for bought tickets. Thanks

42.   42. Posted By: Gemma Alcock
        Date: March 22nd, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

Hi James, so happy to have got two tickets,i cant wait. Just wondering what the dress code will be?

43.   43. Posted By: JTH
        Date: March 24th, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Note to anyone in Toronto. There are two showings at the Hot Docs festival on May 4 and May 6. Both showings are at the big theatre at the Lightbox. Just got my ticket for the premiere.