Some unfinished business
Suzuka 2014
Japanese Grand Prix
Barcelona test, Day 3 – Rosberg pushes the Merc, Webber does two GPs in a day
Barcelona test, Day 3 – Rosberg pushes the Merc, Webber does two GPs in a day
Posted By: James Allen  |  20 Feb 2011   |  7:56 pm GMT  |  72 comments

Nico Rosberg set the fastest time today in Barcelona, in a dry afternoon session after a wet morning, which gave the teams a chance to evaluate the Pirelli intermediate tyre.

Photo: Mercedes

The Mercedes driver did a lap of 1m23.168s on a qualifying simuation run towards the end of the day. As always not too much can be read into the headline lap times as many other drivers did not do a qualifying simulation run, preferring to focus their dry running time on a race simulation.

Vitaly Petrov set the second fastest time ahead of Lewis Hamilton, whose McLaren again suffered some niggling problems. But that didn’t stop him from doing over 90 laps in the day. “We’ve had a few technical issues with this car, but the guys have been working incredibly to rectify them,” said Hamilton. “To get more than 90 laps under my belt today was a big positive.”

Mark Webber covered an enormous 139 laps today, more than two times the distance of the Spanish Grand Prix. He did a race simulation in the afternoon, but didn’t manage a qualifying simulation, so he was only fifth fastest. Interestingly, although the track was still rubbering in after the rain, a comparison of the pace between Webber’s 66 race laps en route to victory last season in Barcelona and today’s pace shows that it is at least three seconds a lap slower due to the changes in the cars and the Pirelli tyres. Last May his long second stint was mainly in the 1m 25s, while today his faster stint was in the 1m 28s and 29s.

Felipe Massa also did a race simulation in the afternoon in the Ferrari, with similar pace on the long runs to the Red Bull. The Ferrari is looking like a good car, but we have yet to establish where it stands in outright pace on a Q3 qualifying special compared to the Red Bull. Last season that was Red Bull’s ace. Let’s hope we get to see that tomorrow.

There was certainly no strong indication from today’s long runs of much of a difference between the Ferrari and Red Bull. Rosberg did two long runs rather than a race simulation, but the pace was quite a bit slower than the Red Bull and Ferrari.

Toro Rosso gave young Australian Daniel Ricciardo a run again today, sharing the car with Sebastien Buemi. Giorgio Mondini had a run in the HRT car today, alongside F1 returnee Narain Kartikeyan.

Jarno Trulli lost some time with a water leak in the Lotus, but sounded very positive about the new car and the performance it is capable of. “Overall I have a good feeling about the car,” he said. “It’s good to see that without doing many miles, and it being my first day in the car today on the new tyres in Barcelona, I managed to do some consistently good lap times throughout the end of the afternoon session.” Trulli did a couple of runs with laps in the low 1m26s high 1m25s, which compared well to Timo Glock in the Virgin, when he was doing similar short runs at the end of the day. The Virgin however covered twice the distance of the Lotus today.

Meanwhile in the ongoing debate about whether the first race of the season should be cancelled, Bernie Ecclestone has said that he will leave the decision up to the ruling family in Bahrain. This leaves the way open for the race to be postponed rather than cancelled, with the accompanying legal and insurance aspects in consideration. Ecclestone said that a decision on the March 13th event will be made on Tuesday. Although it’s a packed schedule this year and spaces are hard to find – especially for a fly-away race from a logistical point of view – the common sense approach would be postponement with a review of the political situation at a later date in the season. If

Mark Webber became the first prominent F1 player to say that the race should not go ahead on March 13 and that Bahrain should be given time to sort out some fundamental issues. “When you hear of people losing their lives, this is a tragedy,” he said. “It’s probably not the best time to go there for a sporting event. They have bigger things, bigger priorities.” I think that reflects the view of many who work in the sport.

Don’t forget you can follow all the tweets from the teams, drivers and journalists covering the test in real time before, during and after the testing on http://twitter.jamesallenonf1.com. It gives a much more rounded picture of what’s going on than live text commentary written by a single source.

BARCELONA TEST, Day 3
10. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m26.508s + 3.340s 123 laps
11. Timo Glock Virgin 1m26.598s + 3.430s 97 laps
12. Giorgio Mondini Hispania 1m28.178s + 5.010s 39 laps
13. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m28.329s + 5.161s 42 laps
14. Narain Karthikeyan Hispania 1m30.722s + 7.554s 32 laps

1. Miha says:

James (or anyone who happens to know),

I’ve seen photos from todays testing, and some drivers had intermediate tyres with green Pirelli logo, while others had yellow logo. What’s the difference? Are one intermediate tyres and the others full wets?

1. Paulo says:

AFAIK it should be something like these:

Super-soft: RED
      Soft: WHITE
      Medium: BLUE
      Hard: YELLOW
      Full wets: YELLOW
      Intermediates: RED

1. Miha says:

Funny,
        because until now I only saw YELLOW. But look at this gallery, half of the cars have GREEN… http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3524/photo-gallery/6766784/Barcelona-Playing-In-The-Rain#photo=2
        What does than GREEN mean?

2. That would be a bit lame – if Super-soft and Intermediates are the same color. Because if you go from Intermediates to dry tyres you’ll probably go to Super-soft and it won’t be all that easy to tell the difference… Did Pirelli forget that there are more colors?

Should be something like

Super-soft: WHITE
        Soft: YELLOW
        Medium: ORANGE
        Hard: RED
        Full-wets: GREEN
        Intermediates: BLUE

3. Miha says:

But till now I have only seen YELLOW and yesterday GREEN. Haven’t seen photos of white, blue, red or whatever…

You will. Pirelli has colour coding of the words on the sidewalls for the races.

5. Miha says:

I have just checked the photos again (above). If you take a better look at the profile of the tyres it seems that the ones with GREEN Pirelli logo are full wets, while the ones with YELLOW logo are intermediates. I doubt any other colour even exists.

2. AlexD says:

I think Red Bull know that they are more or less picking where they left. Ferrari hopes that they are not far off. McLaren trust that they will fix technical issues and will start developing the car fast. Mercedes pins hopes on their new package.

Overall…honestly…not a slight change vs last year…I am really surprised. I though that changes in regulations are going to shuffle a bit the grid, but it looks like a perfect copy from 2010 season.

Ferrari was not super reliable last year…let’s hope this is going to win the season for them.

1. Ferrari covered the most amount of laps in GPs of any team last season

1. AlexD says:

That is fine…problem is, you can cover 99% of laps in a GP and still DNF on the last lap. It doesn’t mean anything. You need to look beyond this. Problems with engine reliability last year changed the whole strategy for Ferrari.

2. Hisham Akhtar says:

Yeah but aside from Alonso’s engine blowup in Malaysia, they didn’t have as many problems on raceday as their competitors. Vettel had a number of problems early in the season and that engine blowup in Korea almost killed his championship.

Ferrari only changed Alonso’s Bahrain engine as a precautionary measure and it could be argued that the Malaysian GP engine blew due to increased stress caused by the gearbox issue.

Having said that, Ferrari customer engines had A LOT of problems. I’m sure Sauber and Toro Rosso weren’t too pleased with them.

2. JJ MUPPET says:

Yeh, I am not sure there will be much of a difference to lsat year. Mclaren look too delicate, funny that used to be their problem when Newey was with them. Ferrari look better on overall race pace. Bur that soft drinks company (please change your name) are still looking strong. It will make it interesting if Ferrari can wrestle away RB victories in the race. The Pirelli tyres look all over the place.

Merc and Mac though may be hitting up the left overs.

I am glad schu looks better.

The dark horse for a sneaky few points could be Torro Rosso, but they will need better drivers.

Virgin too SEEM to have improved?

I also hope we do not go to Bahrain, it would not be right.

The season could end Dubai, Bahrain and Brazil?

3 weeks of climax or boredom?

Virgin improved but not by enough to race the midfielders yet. I think Lotus should be able to.

2. JJ MUPPET says:

I think Lotus made a very good effort last year. For me it is a shame they brought the Lotus name back as I thought it too fake. The team would have been better as Malaysia 1 or the name they chose which I am still not sure about? While I am not on thier side in the dispute with TF, Proton at least own the main Lotus interest which is sports cars and it makes more sense for them to bring it back to F1. But Proton are wrong to do it this way.

Virgin, I am glad for Wirth and while I did not expect them to challenge the Midfield, an occasional 10th place might be nice with a little opportunity.

I am backing TF in court and a few points might be nice.

3. Paul says:

Surely there is a good chance that the Bahrain race won’t happen on March 13th, so when is realistic for a postponement?

Most realistic to me seems to be after Abu Dhabi and delaying the Brazilian GP another week into December.

Is it remotely realistic to consider Abu Dhabi and Bahrain switching dates, with Yas Marina hosting a race on the 13th March?

I’d be very surprised, but I’ll find out more tomorrow

2. Anil says:

In a perfect world we wouldn’t have to race at either of them!

3. Richard M says:

I think last year Abu Dhabi would definitely not switch because they were hosting the season’s final race. But this year they are not, it has switched back to Interlagos, so perhaps there is a chance if they want to host the season opener. However it will be hard to reoganise due to tickets sales, corporate stuff, tv time planning, etc.

4. ahmed says:

If for whatever reason it isnt possible to host the Bahrain grand prix this reason at all is there any chance they could replace the race with a grand prix at the Losail track in Qatar. I knoe they have held GP2 races there so it can be used for cars as well as bikes. Any word on that James.

No chance of that. There’s too much involved in taking a GP to a new circuit to even contemplate it.

2. Zara says:

I dont think it could happen, maybe the FIA should have a reserve race in place like MotoGP. They managed to replace the Hungarian round with another race in Spain because of construction delays, I guess if they really wanted they could use Qatar as a reserve for a race later on in the season if the unrest still persists in Bahrain. But yeah, it seems that Bahrain definately wont be the curtain raiser this season, tbh I dont think its much of a waste, the Bahrain GP has never been exciting in any way whatsoever, maybe its for the best.

4. Jo Torrent says:

People are starting to complain about the tyres : Hamilton and Sutil. The former even suggesting in his own humble manners that “he did 90 laps today and he feels like he could start all over again, it was that easy to drive.”

Pirelli will appreciate

1. Peter C says:

Oh Jo, you always make detrimental remarks re. anything McLaren, because you are a Ferrari fan.

I’m not particularly a McL fan, but I try to keep an objective view on all the teams/drivers, rather than having a dig at the ones I don’t like.

5. cjf says:

I bet McLaren are praying the first Bahrain GP is cancelled, they need all the development time they can get. At the moment their car is unreliable and appears not to be that quick. I’m surprised and pleased to hear that at least one car can match the Redbull on race pace, prior opinions i had heard suggested that they would walk away with it this year.

6. Vinoo says:

James you really think Mercedes(Brawn) could have messed up the development of their car to the extent that the times seem to indicate..(a 1 second or more on long runs)

Brawn,Schu and Rosberg make it seem like this is a base version of their car and the real spec car will come in at the next test? are the rest of teams planning such big upgrades as well?

Maybe merc have something up their sleeve?

1. andyb says:

What is merc’s design department like? Have they got any star players? (apart from Brawn).

1. James D says:

It’s the same design team that churned out mediocre/terrible Hondas for years…

2. Conal says:

I find this incredible that no commentators are picking up on this. Mercedes completely diched development of their 2010 car to start their 2011 car and it appears a bit of a heap so far. Why is no one else putting this to mercedes or wizened F1 commentators?

1. Conal says:

And, why is have they been talking about a BIG upgrade for Bahrain test from day one. What have they been doing since the middle of last year? What happens if the upgrade doesn’t work? Shoddy shoddy shoddy.

7. Nando says:

How were the teams looking on the inters?

8. Harrison Vrbanjac says:

James, I wonder if FIA has any consideration to abandon idea of test ban cause it’s now more or less proven that ban it’s self is contra productive in meaning of new talents developing?
    I mean that it’s great risk to miss next Hamilton or Vettel because teams can’t risk putting inexperience drivers in the cars ahead of maybe older but slower teammates. If they want to cut down costs, why not just set reasonable “roof” on the budget (something like NBA), then wins is going to depend on teams knowledge, tactics (on budget to) driver and you can afford to test and develop talents.

1. DB says:

This “roof” was was Max Mosley’s budget cap idea (€40Mil at the time, I think). It was called off by the teams, which treatened to create their own new series if the idea went ahead.
      Ferrari was the most outspoken team about it at the time.

9. Galapago555 says:

James, I’ve just read somewhere that if the Bahrain GP is finally cancelled, it could be possible to change the order between this one and Abu Dhabi. This way, Abu Dhabi would be the season opener, now on March, and Bahrain would be the last before Brazil, on November. Do you think this could be possible?

1. cjf says:

Was reported on “Gulf News”, looks like McLaren get their get out of jail free then…

I bet Martin Whitmarsh is dancing with joy!

2. Damien says:

I doubt it would be feasible this year. Speactators would need to switch flights and hotels at very late notice.

It looks like Australia would be the season opener (as it should some people might say).

If the Bahrain event is rescheduled, the weekend before the Abu Dhabi GP seem to be the only possibility as ticket sales for Brazil have started and I assume might not be able to be moved at this stage.

10. jonrob says:

Did they have wets James and if so who ran them and what were the conclusions?

11. HUGO says:

Hello James,
    Between Mercedes and McLaren, wich one is ahead?
    Thank you and keep up the fine work!

12. Speed F1 says:

Is there anymore rule changes or modification to come this year? Slow race doesn’t sound fun at all. Webber’s gap compare to last year is too slow. Maybe too much change isn’t that good after all.

1. Damien says:

Engineers will have made the cars quicker by the start of the European season.

Also bear in mind that psychologically, a driver will be slower in testing as their is more to gain from not driving the car on the limit.

My hunch would be that Webber will only be two seconds slower comes May.

I don’t think you’ll notice the difference though, whether on TV or at the track.

13. Snowy says:

Mark Webber vs Felipe Massa

1:29:01.999 vs 1:29:01.170!!! :-O

1. TheLegend says:

Are these the race simulations times? Incredible. I hope this slight difference remains the same for the first race.

1. Miha says:

I wouldn’t call this slight difference. It’s 0,8 second! But I don’t believe Ferrari is so much faster.

2. TheLegend says:

Is not a lap time, is a whole race simulation time. After 60 laps is about 0.012 sec. per lap. I think “slight” is too much.

14. Hmm says:

A nice PR shout-out for Webber at the end there, nice job.

Many more drivers have said similar, Alonso, Rosberg and Vettel, but they are obviously not as prominent as the hero and English speaking commentators crush, Webber.

1. Aussie Fan says:

Well Webber does tend to speak his mind which I’m sure the commentator’s love, as opposed to “cardboard cutout” responses when asked questions. Also, being that this is an english based website, his comments would figure more prominently here, don’t you think?

1. Hisham Akhtar says:

Alonso, Vettel and Rosberg speak relatively fluent english too…

Plus Alonso/Vettel’s words hold more weight considering they are world champions

2. Jack Flash says:

And Mark Webber being the head of the Grand Prix Driver’s Association for a numbr of years doesn’t hold weight?

9 Years of F1 GP racing experience doesn’t hold weight?

The drivers voted him to lead their interets in the GPDA. This isn’t a mandate to speak on their behalf?

Pffft…

15. auski says:

Hey Bernie suddenly you need Australain grand prix!

16. dabble says:

Hi James, do you have any information on how many sets of tyres/pitstops it took Webber and Massa for the race distance?

Thanks

17. Chrisf1 says:

James what do you make of Daniel Ricciardo’s performance today?

18. Bill Day says:

Thank you Mark Webber for bringing the larger perspective into the picture.

1. Olivier says:

I wholeheartedly agree with Webber.

“F1 rocks”!? How wrong would that be in Bahrein?! I’d feel sick! No Bahrein GP for me …

19. PaulL says:

I know I’ve made clear my criticisms of F1 recently, but really – I don’t want to see, as a fan, cars overtaking other cars because the car in front is simply harder on it’s tyres. To me, that’s semi-artificial, and the last thing I want to see in racing this year is more artifice.

Honestly, what is a race these days?

These are my personal two criteria for a race:
    1) Those who take part finding the fastest limits within themselves athletically/psychologically and from their automobiles.
    2) As much as possible, the person who is able to reach the greatest limits inside the usual risk-reward framework, should win the race.

Now, let’s talk about overtaking.
    Overtaking is just one skill in motorsport, let’s not elevate it above all else. It seems to me we’ve gone to extraordinary lengths including snow plow front-wings, tall/skinny rear wings, banning refuelling, orchestrating retrograde tyres – all in the name of overtaking.

Let me argue, that to overtake another car on the track requires a significant speed advantage, usually well beyond one second per lap. And when it happens, I think it can be rather ugly competition when someone dives down the inside. What can the other person do? Either take the racing line and accept an accident or concede the position.

Sure, it’s a skill in one sense, but I’d rather see races won and lost on tenths of a second, not because the guy infront backed out of the guy behind’s accident.

My vote will always be: #1 get them to go flat-out attacking for 60+ laps, then within that framework look at making overtaking accessible.

20. Harv says:

Now that the new adjustable wing will increase overtaking, the importance of a good quali position will decrease, so the pace of these long runs are even more informative. But does anyone know what the initial rules for the adjustable wing will be? Even it’s detractors can’t say that a procession like the last race last year, where a clearly faster driver/car can’t get past a slower one, isn’t a good advertisement for F1 (I’m not trying to diminish the nerve/skill Petrov, for example displayed). However just as detrimental would be cars overtaking and re-overtaking every other lap. Are there going to be rules as to how many consecutive laps a car needs to be a second behind the one in front before being allowed to overtake?

1. Galapago555 says:

I’m not sure, as I have not been able to find any thing in the FIA 2011 Sporting Regs. But I’ve read reports saying that it will work this way:
      (i) there will be an “overtaking area” in each circuit, of 600 metres at the end of the main straight – or any other; this will be announced on a race – by – race basis.
      (ii) a line will be painted on the last corner before the “overtaking-area” straight. If the driver that’s following another passes that point less than 1 sec after the car in front, then he will be allowed to use the rear wing device on that overtaking area.

More info http://bit.ly/dLJjWc

21. Aussie Rod says:

Sounds like someone’s got a chip on their shoulder.

I really don’t think it’s Webber’s fault he’s such a legend.

22. Dale says:

Hats off to Mark Webber, the only current F1 driver who seems to have any backbone.

Shame on those that run F1 that the race has not already been cancelled (should never have gone there in the first place).

23. F1_Dave says:

i see drivers are starting to speak out about pirellis poor tyres.

Hamilton-
    “”Today I probably drove a little bit easier on the first long run, but the tyres just go away so fast and there’s nothing you can do about it.

“The second run I tried to look after it even more and it was like driving an out-lap, very slow and not particularly exciting. It lasted a little bit longer but it didn’t feel like I was really racing the car.”

He feels the tyre strategy is making driving less of a challenge.””

Webber-
    “”If that was in a race situation and someone was on a different strategy then we might have some racing, but the only thing we’ve got to keep an eye on, unfortunately, is that we’re going to have such a big difference in speed that if someone is doing something different and you’re trying to go longer or whatever, it won’t be a fight, you’ll just go straight through and disappear.””

hopefully more speak out against them & hopefully by mid season we’ll get proper tyres and can get back to proper racing without races turning into a complete joke.

i dont want to see races decided purely because of tyres not lasting more than about 20 laps and because of that causing some stupid performance gaps between each car.

wheres the fun in watching one car catch another at 3/4/5 seconds a lap due to tyres & then cruising straght by?
    its going to be like what happened when an established team caught a new team from 2010 with that sort of difference.

also hate teams been all forced down a specific stragegy simply because the tyres dictate it. teams should be able to stop as many or as few times as they wish & have the option to not stop at all if thats what they want to do. pushing everyone down one path with mandatory stops or by using tyres not fit for purpose isn’t racing, its a complete joke.

1. StefMeister says:

I agree, I think we’ve gone from one extreme (Bridgestone tyre range all been too durable) to the other extreme (Pirelli’s range of tyres all not been durable enough).

I don’t really mind the fact the softest compounds are wearing faster & more than the Bridgestone’s (Certainly the Bridgestone softer compounds was too durable), Im just not keen on the likelyhood of all the compounds wearing too quickly with everyone been forced into a 2 (Or more) stop strategy simply because even the hardest compounds are designed to wear out faster.

The Super-Soft’s seem to be going off after a few laps but lasting for about 15 laps with the Soft compound going about 20 laps, I actually think thats about right. What Im not as keen on is that the Medium/Hard compound’s don’t seem to be lasting that much longer & this is what will force everyone to do a 2nd tyre stop.

Id prefer something more like this:
      Soft’s = Best performance, High Wear, last about 15-20 laps.
      Medium’s = Maybe half second slower, Last around half race distance.
      Hard’s = About 1 second slower, Can last a full race distance.

No mandatory stops, Just let Teams & Drivers do whatever they want with tyres during the races. If Hamilton wants to go flat out on Soft’s planning 2-stops while Button wants to No-Stop on Hard’s then let them & if they switch strategy Mid-Race & opt to switch to another compound they can.

I guess basically I’d just like the tyre strategy to be more open & free & down to teams/drivers rather than the FIA’s mandatory stop & Pirelli’s fast wearing range of tyres. I think the forced pit stops could hurt the racing just as I think the mandatory stop to run both compounds hurt the racing last year & how I think refueling did over the years prior to that.

Don’t quite agree here. Supersoft is too soft and will be changed before the start of the season, I reckon. Soft is lasting 12 laps, rather than 20.

Certainly if the race were held today we’d have three stops minimum, maybe four. But Pirelli say that when it heats up for the race it’ll be two.

24. F1_Dave says:

webber did a 59 lap race simulation at barcelona today and required 3 stops with some big performance drop-offs:

Webber
    29.7, 29.8, 30.1, 31.4, 32.0, 32.0, 32.4, 33.2, P
    27.4, 27.9, 28.9, 29.8, 30.2, 30.8, 31.1, 31.3, 31.9, 32.4, 32.6, 33.2, 33.6, P
    29.9, 29.6, 29.8, 30.3, 30.8, 30.2, 30.8, 30.4, 30.6, 30.7, 30.6, 32.6, 31.8, 31.3, 31.1, 32.3, 32.5, 32.3, 33.6, 33.2, P
    24.9, 28.3, 29.1, 28.4, 28.3, 28.3, 29.0, 28.5, 29.0, 29.4, 28.6, 29.1, 32.0, 29.2, 30.1, 29.8, 30.3, 30.7

1. F1_Dave says:

forgot to say that he went soft-soft-hard-soft during those runs.

25. Pawel says:

Once again RB may be class of theirs own. Rosberg on quali lap made better time of only 1,8 sec than Webbers’ the best one. Last May Hamilton (qualification winner) had quali lap quicker than his race lap by almost 3 secs. That means that Webber race laps might be better than Rosberg ones more than 1,2sec. It’s a huge G…A…P.

26. Paul Mc says:

I still think Red Bull are sandbagging a bit, i think come the start of the season they will be well out in front with Ferrari close behind. Status quo really from last year.

Mercedes look to be struggling a lot with pace, i hope they can sort that out.

27. Matt Wil. says:

The problem is that we could start to not say “Hamilton overtakes Massa” or something similar, and then interpret every race incidence/overtake as “new tyres and rear wing overtakes old tyres and locked used rear wing”. On the other side, this new technology on wings and tyres fabrication is going to allow some drivers to start overtaking for first time in their careers, namedly Massa, Vettel, Rosberg and Button, now in equal conditions as Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher. This is pretty for the sport, as it would be for football to make Messi run with only one shoe at certain moments so defenders could play better.

28. Chris Severin says:

I was at the test yesterday and Saturday and would like give to give Virgin and in particular their Comunity and Communications guy (didn´t catch his name) and MASSIVE shout out as they gave me and others a tour of the Paddock, their garage and the pit lane. I can hardly explain how incredible it was and is a day that will stay with me forever. To be that close to the sport is just mind blowing and i had a smile the length of the pit lane the entire day. I found out about it on the James Allen twitter page and having not really used twitter myself before was blown away by it´s potential. I still have a smile on my face while writting this. If anyone has the opertunity to attend a test you should certainly go, with access to all the Grandstands even without the tour you get to see the sport closer for example i saw the Lotus guys fooling around in the garge putting stickers on each others backs from the grandstand opposite the pits. What a weekend!!

29. Lewis says:

James do you think McLaren are in for another 2009? Their car hasn’t shown any good pace and is unreliable as well, does anyone know if they have alluded to what is causing the lack of pace yet?

Well I was watching it on track this afternoon and it looked tricky – Hamilton couldn’t use the throttle through Turns 11/12 how he normally would, I think he’s frustrated by tyres also

30. Born 1950 says:

So, “Bernie Ecclestone has said that he will leave the decision up to the ruling family in Bahrain.”

Bernie has gone down in my estimation (and Mark Webber has risen).

Bernie should have told the ruling family in Bahrain that F1 wasn’t coming while ever their police and military were shooting the population. Leaving the decision to the royalty actually encourages them to come down harder on the protesters so as not to lose the event.

Don’t expect a rational decision from Bahrain’s royalty, Bernie!

1. Gary C-G says:

It looks like the race is off, at least for March.

“The Crown Prince of Bahrain Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa said: “We felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest.””

I suspect that Bernie had them make the ‘decision’ for insurance/liability reasons.

31. Dizzy says:

james would it be possible to perhaps put forward the idea above to someone from the fia, fota or pirelli?

i agree with what stefmeister said about how tyre strategy should be left more open & upto the teams much how it used to be prior to refueling.

had some very good races back then where teams and drivers were able to do whatever they wanted in terms of which compounds they ran and if they wanted to pit once, twice or not at all.

think that would work a lot better and would proberly have a lot of support from most fans.