Posted on January 31, 2011
What are the must have interactive tools for following F1 2011? | James Allen on F1 – The official James Allen website on F1

I got a message last night from a reader, looking forward to the new season, who asked the following question:

“Is there a way you could create one post on different interactive tools that will be available in the new season on-line?

“I am talking about apps, McLaren telemetry on-line, etc. It would be cool to know what is available out there – sometimes races are boring, but when you have live timing, telemetry and other apps it is much more interesting.”

This was quite a hot topic at the Fans Forum in London last summer, so with the new season in prospect, this is a call out to all the readers to suggest what you think are the must-have interactive online tools for following F1, alongside the TV coverage?

Let’s share the knowledge so we can all get the most out of the new season.

I’ll kick it off with a few.

If you’ll forgive me, I’ll start with the JA on F1 Tweets website, (http://twitter.jamesallenonf1.com) which pulls together all the best tweets in real time from teams, drivers, journalists and other F1 insiders. We’re relaunching it this week to co-incide with the new car launches and the start of testing. You can follow all the action this week from Valencia, as told by the people on the spot.

The beauty of this twitter aggregator site, now refreshed and revitalised for its second season, is that you don’t have to be on Twitter to follow all the people on the lists. You just go to the site and watch as it auto-refreshes, bringing you insights from the paddock and live blow by blow coverage of the race weekends and the bits in between.

I do a live analysis of qualifying and the race as well as of things I see of interest at the race track.

Check it out on JA on F1 Tweets And let us know what you think and what we could do to make it better.

The timing on F1.com is a must, of course. I always have a window open with that on, even when I’m in the press office at the track.

During the race I also follow the live track map on the BBC F1 website, which shows the positions of the cars around the circuit in real time. The same thing was available on the Soft Pauer iphone/ipad app. I think that’s still going, but I know they had a tough year last year.

Anyway on a computer the BBC map (which they get from FOM) is free to view and it’s very handy during the race for seeing where the cars are relative to each other around the time of the pit stops.

Let us know what tools you use to enhance your understanding of the sport.

Tags:
What are the must have interactive tools for following F1 2011?
134 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: Ben G
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Bit of a techno-phobe, so this blog and a large projector screen is as advanced as I get.

2.   2. Posted By: Sebee
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

If you have an ipad the F1 app while a bit expensive is awesome.

Also needed an app to tell lotuses apart. Today I read that Senna will be a test driver for Lotus and I didn’t know which one. :-)

Lilla My Reply:

Luckily Team Lotus (the one withou Senna as far as I know) won’t be black and gold, but rather greenish, so maybe telling them apart won’t be that painful after all ;-) .

Sebee Reply:

I put him in the green one right away because of the Green helmet and Brazilian colours of the green one for some strange reason.

This marketing exercise of the Lotuses is getting a bit old. I bet they get together on weekends and laugh about how much free ink they get. They probably have an office pool about which one will win and the looser will have to wear the winner’s kit for one race.

richy Reply:

ooof, £20 is a LOT for a single app.
    hmm, might treat my iPad to it a little closer to season kick-off, if I can figure out how to not let the missus find out…

+1 on BBC thing, everything about their coverage is really top notch :)

SteveK Reply:

I’ve had the iPhone app for the last 2 seasons and signed-up right away when 2011 became available. Wouldn’t be without it, especially during quali.

Chris H Reply:

Tell the wife it’s just £2 per race…. I bought it halfway through the season last year, and that proved to be expensive.

Mario Reply:

You need to use your eyes to tell Lotuses apart.

3.   3. Posted By: Azlas
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

The McLaren one is pretty good. Shows bastic telemitry for the 2 cars plus occasional radio chatter (non the the juicy stuff tho!)

Chris Mellish Reply:

Yup enjoyed watching it last year.

Two really big improvements that could be made to the twitter feed:

1) Truly update in real time rather than refreshing (look up comet servers – I’m writing a bespoke one for another website as we speak). In chrome at least the refresh is losing the current scroll position which is really annoying.

2) Allow us to filter which twitter feeds are pulled in or not, on a feed by feed basis.

4.   4. Posted By: Paul
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

My favourite tool was the alternative commentary for the last 2 years so I didn’t have to listen to that boring Legard. Thankfully this year we don’t have to worry about that!! Would still prefer you commentating James, but I’ll settle for Brundle and Coulthard

Rich C Reply:

Brundle, Blundell, et al finished 4th at Daytona yesterday, btw, 3.752 seconds behind the leader after 2,566.76 miles.
    So its obvious he’s still got ‘it’ inside a racecar as well as in the booth too.

Sebee Reply:

Easy, last laps was under yellow befor one last green lap before finish.

I would LOVE to have SAP audio of engine/track audio only. I want to feel like I’m at the track!

I have to say the Speed commentary while not best(but let’s be clear it’s not bad either considering they are nit at track) is done by racers who at least sometimes know to be quiet and let us hear the inboard engine audio.

5.   5. Posted By: Steve L 1973
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

Any word from the BBC on making their live track map to be up to date and actually be live? It was very frustrating watching on the map, the places the cars all were 3 minutes earlier and completely defeated it’s object.

6.   6. Posted By: AlexD
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Brilliant:-) James – have you seen my comment from 2 days ago? I have suggested to you to do exactly this:-)

7.   7. Posted By: Matt
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

I agree, Live timing is essential. Lets you see things before the commentators or TV crew pick it up (pit stops, fastest laps etc).

Sebee Reply:

Get the free F1 ipad/iPhone app – you can set to sync with your footage or have it shown before you even see it on TV

8.   8. Posted By: Steve
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

I use:
    BBC1′s programme
    BBC’s driver tracker
    McLarens telemetry with Formula ones live timing screen on a split screen
    If I have a spare laptop (and the bandwidth) I also have a screen set up for in car cameras too.
    My front room looks like mission control but it does enhance the interest in the race mainly because you don’t know where to look!

RobW Reply:

Where do you get the in-car cameras from?

Steve Reply:

BBC site. There are several feeds you can log into, one of them is the onboard.

Andy Carr Reply:

I think you are my Doppelgänger!!

I do exactly the same!!

We Rock!

Marty Reply:

you are an uber nerd!

I am totally envious

Steve Reply:

Guilty as charged – but only for the races. Silverstone is quite close so it must something in the water round here! ;-)

Marty Reply:

And now you have to rub it in by saying you live near a racetrack….thank you very much!

Here in Perth WA it’s like living on another planet when it comes to F1…

9.   9. Posted By: Hamad
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

Hello James,

This is a great topic, one question though is in regards to BBC map. I have never heard of it or saw it before, is it only available in the UK?

that could be the reason why, and if so thats very sad for the rest of us.

Seán Craddock Reply:

I’m in Ireland and also have never heard of it. I hope it’s not just UK! But it being BBC I’d say it is

Jack Semmence Reply:

yeah i think it is, because the BBC only owns the rights to show the FOM feeds in the UK, so they’re legally not allowed to supply it outside the UK. It’s the same reason all the F1 videos get taken off YouTube.

10.   10. Posted By: young slinger
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

I have been using the live timing and live track position whilst watching BBC’s excellent coverage and it has enhanced the enjoyment enormously. (Even better with the new commentary team, I hope!!)

11.   11. Posted By: Mojo66
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

There is an iPhone application that basically mimics the live timing on Formula1.com:

12.   12. Posted By: Michael
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Well, plugging ourown site here, the BBC track feed I believe is only available in the UK. Our site has taken the live sector timing and extrapolated it onto a track map for what ends up as a 99% accurate trackmap, available for free on the website for people anywhere in the world. Plus it is much lower bandwidth than the bbc video stream ;-)

Rich C Reply:

Pardon my density, Michael, but which website is that?

Soeren Reply:

Click on his name!

Chris Sheldrake Reply:

Could we have the URL for Michael’s position map, please ?

Seán Craddock Reply:

What website?

Husker Reply:

sounds interesting, any chance you can post the actual url? ;)

Jack Semmence Reply:

click on his name

Nick F Reply:

click on the guys name and it comes up.

Dave in NZL Reply:

Josephiah Reply:

Clicking his name takes you to http://www.ratef1.com, which may or may not be what he’s talking about…

13.   13. Posted By: iceman
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

The live McLaren telemetry on mclaren.com (as mentioned by your reader) is quite interesting. They show live transcripts of a lot of radio transmissions that we don’t hear on the TV broadcast.
    Do any other teams make similar information available?

14.   14. Posted By: AlexD
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

James, I will share what we are using – some tools are interactive, some are not, but you must combine to get maximum from F1, especially when you are forced to watch Bahrain 2010:-)

1. Make sure that you have good friends around you. Never watch alone!

2. Make sure that families of your friends
    love F1 – there are different ways to make them love it. If you do it right – it will last forever.

We watch races together with my friend, his wife and 4 kids. His wife is so amazing that on a race day she is preparing meals that are traditional in a country where the race is happening.

We always follow live timing on f1.com and live commentary on live.autosport.com – they are pretty good. I never tried twits – I will try this year.

At the core of everything is Polish commentator who knows nothing about F1 – completely – you should have heard him! He couldn’t care less about Alonso overtaking Hamilton, but he will make sure that he tells us that Petrov is with his mother, who by the way is not his mother, but a manager.

This is how we live here, James:-)

Rich C Reply:

That girl sounds like a “keeper” to me!

Lilla My Reply:

Unfortunately, I can confirm that. Our comentator has notorious problems with distinguishing Red Bulls and Toro Rossos (especially Webber and Alguersuari for some mysterious reason) but also Massa and Alonso (apparently they are just the same). He didn’t even care much about Webber’s crash in Valencia, because he was occupied with Robert Kubica at the moment (who wasn’t doing anything speccial at that time)… and the biased attitude and the dislike to certain drivers (particularly Alonso) is just so visible and annoying.

So literally anything that can add to understanding the sport is just most welcome.
    I know that British people complain about their coverage (mostly Legard), but you have no idea how lucky you are with all the analysis, grid walks and interviews with the drivers on the grid. We can’t even watch the press conferences (only on an additionally paid TV channel) and sometimes they don’t even show the whole podium ceremony…

Andy C Reply:

I’d be more concerned if I were your friend. You seem to be a bug fan of his wife ;-) lol

Steve Reply:

Fantastic story. I remember watching The Monaco GP on a holiday in Spain and could only get the Sapnish coverage. The only drivers name spoken was Alonso and occasionally Hamilton. (It was the 2007 season. 8-o )

15.   15. Posted By: Jonathan Vogt
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

Why did Soft Pauer have a hard time last year? I’m wondering whether to buy their 2011 Android version, but it’s quite ridiculously expensive (especially without a demo version).

Maxime Labelle Reply:

Well, it’s not hard to understand why.

They’ve got what is probably the best application for following formula one on the go, with James’s live text comments and insights during the race.

This does not come cheap and the price of the application reflects that.

Judging from the many reviews from users, it’s easy to tell this application is only for die hard fans.

This has been the third year I have bougth the application. Wonder how long it will last…

Jonathan Vogt Reply:

So, they struggled because it’s expensive and the uptake is not great?

Nadeem Reply:

Its a great app espcially for those outside the UK who can’t get the tracker but expensive

Unfortuantely with the AUD being strong against the GBP there is no discount either from itunes AUS, Apple making more money here

16.   16. Posted By: ian
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

The – green – Lotus pictures are terrible – very dark in that
    under ground car park.

Rich C Reply:

Its supposed to be mysterious, I guess. Or else its all photoshopped disinformation!

Husker Reply:

They{re CGI renders, not pictures.

ian Reply:

and a rendering is not a picture?

17.   17. Posted By: Steve JR
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

Hey James, have you considered the idea of providing a JA live subscription (say $5 per race) based commentary / analysis feed during the race? That way we could get your race insight immediately. I personally find the tweets too 5 minutes ago by the time I glance from the telly to the laptop to see what you’ve said – it would be much better to have you there in the moment in audio.

Maxime Labelle Reply:

The SoftPauer iPhone App, available on many mobile platforms, including the iPhone and iPadd, feature James live text comments during the race.

Switching to english language is the very first thing I do when I start the application. It also now supports “multitasking”, which means that you can swith away from the application and back without incurring the overhead of starting an application for the first time.

James Allen Reply:

I don’t do the live comment any more on that app

Maxime Labelle Reply:

How sad ! I hope we get good comments anyway from now on…

18.   18. Posted By: knoxploration
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

F1.com’s mobile live timing app is much better than the one intended for PCs, partly because it can be run full-screen, and partly because it allows you to select between displaying last lap time, gap to the leader, or gap to the car in front for each driver.

If you look for a mobile Java emulator (I’ve used KEmulator Lite myself), you can run the mobile app in high-res on your desktop / notebook, though. Very useful trick, and since my PC’s near the TV, I can run timing and scoring full-screen so I can read it from across the room.

Martin Reply:

The Formula1.com live timing CAN run FULL SCREEN
    and showns last lap time, gap to leader and gap to car in front !
    Been like that for 3 years…(maybe more)!

Alas is often not updating fast enough, specially if you, like me, are using mobile BB.
    Regards,
    Martin

knoxploration Reply:

Only just saw your reply, sorry. No, the F1.com live timing app for PCs (http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing_popup.html) cannot run full screen, and no it doesn’t allow you to select which data you want to see (reducing clutter).

It runs at a maximum of ~1,000 x ~600 pixels, which is tiny on a modern, 1,920 x 1,200 pixel display, and you only have three choices — popups that are that size, an even smaller size, or inlined in F1.com’s site. By the time you’re also required to view all stats, all the time, rather than selecting columns, it is nowhere near as useful.

19.   19. Posted By: KlBD
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

James, is it possible to view the real time BBC map if you are outside the UK?

Cheers KlBD

Galapago555 Reply:

I’m affraid it’s not possible – at least from Spain, due to copyright reasons.

Ian Reply:

Try Expat Shield. Find it via Facebook.

Relativity Reply:

If you are outside the UK, log into a UK based proxy server, then go to BBC from the proxy.

20.   20. Posted By: Andy S
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Don’t you find the FOM driver tracker on the BBC runs almost an entire sector behind the main feed? – and the main feed on the BBC is about a second behind the FIA timing (which doesn’t sound much but can be quite off-putting (especially during quali). Or is it just me?

21.   21. Posted By: ogi
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

During the race I use BBC driver tracker. This is superb stuff. Also live timing from f1.com. But I also notice that I think german Sky sport offer diferent live timing. I wish to have that one because it is better. One question. Live timing for tomorrow test from Valencia? Last year we got one from Williams web site.

22.   22. Posted By: Knuckles
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I like the Autosport live chat. The cool thing is that it acts like a live news aggregator: people often post the interesting bits from all kinds of sources, more than I have access to or would care to watch. Like interviews on many TV broadcasts word wide, etc. And while you can’t keep the idiots out completely, it’s not too big a community as to lose all control over the signal/noise ratio.

23.   23. Posted By: Rich C
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Love the twitter aggravator – I mean ‘aggregator’.
    I noticed during the 24 Hrs at Daytona – won by Chip Ganassi’s boys btw – that there was just tooo much stuff to be able to read it and keep up. Could you have a second column of tweets scrolling during high usage?
    I realize there might be commercial concerns with this, ofc.

24.   24. Posted By: Phill
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

James, any chance your techies could knock up an iPhone friendly twitter reader page???

James Allen Reply:

I’ll look into it

unoc Reply:

2 things….

1) I know that F1Fanatic a UK site has a twitter thing similiar with feeds from teams, drivers, exdrivers, exteams blah blah etc.. It even has JA’s! http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/twitter/

2) Does anyone know if the BBC has actually realised that the world exists outside of the UK? We see there shows here in Australia, but unfortunately the flat earth society deems us not to exist in terms of getting the bbc online stuff.

Shane Reply:

There also seems to be a lack of apps for the blackberry which is annoying, well far less than for the iphone any way.

unoc Reply:

that would be because it’s a blackberry. One is a fancy business phone that happens to do other stuff, the other is a thing that does other stuff and happens to occasionally maybe make a phone call.

Doesn’t twitter have a mobile page? if so could you try following them in your account and then look at that through the mobile version. I don’t know as I don’t have twitter, but might be worth a shot.

Phill Reply:

Thanks James, all your hard work on this site is much appreciated! I check it every day, maybe you should make an iPhone app, I’d certainly pay for it!

Dave in NZL Reply:

This would be tops. Thanks for looking in to it.

25.   25. Posted By: Marc
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

The F1 Live timing App is a must but I would like to see it developed to try and match the same detail the teams/commentary box gets. Certainly a history of lap/sector times would help. In fairness you could do lots with the data fed out over a GP (maybe there is more data in the feed than the java app shows?). There is a starter on google code if anyone fancys giving it a try. I would but 7 hours a day of coding is enough….

Ted the Mechanic Reply:

“I would like to see it developed to try and match the same detail the teams/commentary box gets. Certainly a history of lap/sector times would help”
    Agree, live timing is great, but being able to see an individual driver’s lap time history would give an insight into how they are managing their race, when they are pushing, how the traffic is affecting them, etc.
    Would also love to see Martin or David’s grid walk as we’ve never had that on Sky Sport in New Zealand. Our coverage starts with the overhead shot of the circuit and then zooms down to see the Teams sitting on the grid and starting their engines a few minutes before the red lights go out.
    Only ever seen Martin’s gridwalk on YouTube the infamous one when Kimi took a late dump…

26.   26. Posted By: Ola
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

Well, I can just add that the IPad is great for live timing.
    The official timing app is the one to go for.

27.   27. Posted By: Alex Attard
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Personally the F1.com live timing is a must coupled with McLaren Telemetry (it’s great as I am a Mclaren Fan). Also there will be twitter in the background but with all the tweets during a GP it’s hard to keep up.

28.   28. Posted By: The Pob
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

First must have for 2011 is HD coverage. Just upgraded SKY to HD service. Still don’t know if practice sessions will be in HD, can’t get an answer from BBC on this.

BBC driver tracker is a must, helps to work out pit stop strategy.

First stop tomorrow will be JAonF1 site to see how testing is going.

Oh, and twitter is a must, so many great people to follow… James A, Peter Windsor, Mark Blundell, Maurice Hamilton, Tabatha Valls, 5Live team, Tony Fernandes and many more.

Enjoy F1 2011.

Sebee Reply:

Wow, am I alone in wanting less? I want the option to no even heat the commentary. Just track sound – engines, PA announcements I can’t make out, air wrench, car pulling out of pits, tires squeeling as they try to hold on, silence before the impact. I guesss I should give up that dream. Hopefully we have BBC commentary feed issues. What a dream when that happens just F1 bliss with no filler.

29.   29. Posted By: Holly K
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Whilst watching BBC (now on HD at last! though we wish it was in 3D now) we use a combination of TV, MacBook, iPad and iPhone to get:
    F1 offical app live timing and driver tracker on the iPad
    McLaren commentary and telemetry – either the iPhone app or online
    BBC online driver cam

Would love to know of anymore!

30.   30. Posted By: Joe Tanto
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Looks likes I won’t be using my Nokia N8 because the official F1 ap doesn’t recognise it.
    It worked great on my old Nokia N95.
    Have to use my wife’s i-phone…maybe somebody will sort out something for the N8 for 2012.

31.   31. Posted By: Lilla My
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

I use live timing obligatorily and tweets. The latter one – not always – mostly when a race is dull enough to follow them. When the race is interesting, I prefer to stick to my TV, so that I don’t miss anything (if it’s interesting I’m limited to live timing only).

I normaly use some tweets or autosport commentary (+live timing of course) during practice, when you don’t have to pay that much attention to the action on track (or when I’m at work and can’t watch it ;-) ).

I also join the group of people above asking question about the BBC map – is it available outside the UK? Because I know that many features on the BBC site are unavailable in other countries.

A long time ago (over a few years at least) there was one nice thing on the TV in my country – apart from normal coverage, there was one or two channels with onboard cameras.
    Is there anything like that on the Internet anywhere? It would be cool to be able to choose an onboard camera and watch the race from a chosen perspective.

32.   32. Posted By: James Muscat
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

I’m a Linux user so I use live-f1 for the live timing feed – apparently there are Ubuntu packages – no need for the laggy and bloated Java applet :)

While I’m watching, I’ll have that up on one screen, the race feed with Five Live comms on another, and flick between the driver tracker (which as I understand it is an FIA feed that the BBC were broadcasting?) and Twitter on another.

33.   33. Posted By: Joe
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Is one freely able to watch BBC coverage online – and therefore also the driver tracker – when abroad?? Or is there something you have to do to make your laptop “think” its in the UK?

34.   34. Posted By: Johnty
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

I was using the BBC map in my dream last night,it worked really well (have not used it before as I live in Australia) What was even stranger was Alonso was winning the race (Bahrain) but his Ferrari engine went on the last lap giving the win to Toyota’s Panis. Yes weird dream, looking forward to the season starting.

35.   35. Posted By: Chris Sheldrake
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

I do exactly what you do, James, plus, of course, a window open on the in-car footage from the BBC.

I also like to have McLaren’s real-time information feed running in the background.

When we are at home we watch on a large Plasma TV via Freesat, so the BBC HD feed will be very welcome this year.

With a widescreen laptop in addition to the TV it’s possible to have the live timing, BBC position map and a window with the in-car footage, all running and visible at the same time.

I think the most welcome addition would be to have a choice of in-car feeds, switchable using the 12 computer function keys. It would then be possible to flick between the in-car footage from half the field at will.

A lot could be done to improve the live timing feed : the presentation is something out of the stone age.

Finally, live copies of the emails between race control and the teams would be a really great addition : an RSS type ticker feed would do the trick running at the bottom of the computer screen or TV.

It would have been fascinating to see the correspondence live between Ferrari and Charlie Whiting over the Alonso / Kubica overtaking incident at Silverstone last year.

36.   36. Posted By: Galapago555
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

Last year I used to follow the races on Spanish telly, keeping an eye on f1.com live timing. By the end of the season, I started to follow Twitter as well (especially @Jamesallenonf1, @insideferrari and @thefifthdriver). Those links were very interesting also during the pre-season tests. Funnily enough, many times the Spanish telly comments said things that you could have read before on Twitter.

This year I think I will be following James’ tool on Twitter – seems great – and of course f1.com live timing.

37.   37. Posted By: Michael Roberts
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

The F1 timing screen is essential, I just wish it were a little more reliable.

I do use the McLaren telemetry page but which FOM offered a centralised facility to see telemetry from all teams.

38.   38. Posted By: Grant
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I have a screen of the F1 live timings, a screen of the bbc map, a screen of JA tweets and I will now, following the above points, have a screen of the McLaren site.

The dilema I have though is whether to watch the TV on BBC 1 or the red button of 5Live ????

I much preferred Crofty and Ant last season but, of course, BBC 1 now have changes. Oh which to choose…!

39.   39. Posted By: Martin
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

TWEETS

Well call me old fart if you like, but they are totally incomprehensible !

You don’t know WHO is posting, WHAT is (s)he refering to, nor WHAT they are trying to say (in vry fw wrds).

Lots of people are just tweeting to say, someone else said ‘boo’, or a team published a picture.., which is entirely supefluous if you read this and/or any other competent F1 website !!!
    Regards,
    Martin

Sebee Reply:

I’m with you. Timing app only durring commercials, and the one thing I would like is SAP audio with no commentary on it. Seems like the last time I heard a full sequence of shifts out of a hairpin without someone yapping over it was last time I went to the track.

40.   40. Posted By: Nick C
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

Would love to see a comparison on 1 or 2 of the toughest corners at each track of say the top 2 or 3 drivers entry speed, exit speed, throttle %, braking %, g forces, steering angle, etc.

I do like it when they overlay video of the cars through corners, but data to go with it would fantastic.

JoseAngel Reply:

41.   41. Posted By: james b
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

I have the Live timing and then also the BBC tracker.

In answer to your question I would love a permanent uninterupted feed for team radio. I know it’s unrealisic but hey I can dream!!

Firstly, because I want to know what the team discussions are live and at that moment ‘should we pit’ should we not pit’. What is there thinking? ie Ferrari in Abu Dhabi.

Secondly, I want the gossip as by the time they are back in the pits they are on ‘For Sure’ mode. What do they really think, I want to hear it all! ie Webber and Vettel before during and after there clash in Turkey.

build Reply:

In 2011 *all* car to pit radio will be available to the broadcasters. So it’s up them.

42.   42. Posted By: Andy C
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

One of the most viewed interactive tools of 2010 was eddie Jordan wasn’t it ;-)

Apologies, little hacked of as a Newcastle fan. Liverpool CSM have Andy Carroll for 35 million.

Let’s just hope mike Ashley hasn’t decided to buy hrt…..

Andy C Reply:

iPhone spelling. For CSM read can have…

James Allen Reply:

As Liverpool fan I can tell you that we are the ones who are hacked off…

Andy C Reply:

I bet. Hes like a tall joey Barton James. Smacks a little of desperate bidding. No way is he worth more than tevez…. But money talks doesn’t it.

The only hope is Ashley ships out with his money.

But less about football.

Richard M Reply:

As a Newcastle fan I share your pain, only a few weeks ago Carroll was saying how he only wants to play for Newcastle and it was the best feeling in the world playing for us, then another club offers him more money and he leaves, where is even a shred of loyalty or respect for the club he supposedly supports, he could of at least waited until the summer to give us time to replace him, greed is a terrible thing. Now we have lost our only good striker the season is not looking as rosey as it was, looking forward to Ben Arfa coming back though.

As for how I watch F1, Mclaren live feed, F1 official timing, BBC track map and of obviously the tv. I think I will add the JA on F1 tweets this season as well.

Andy C Reply:

To be honest Richard, I don’t blame Carroll. He’s seen a chance to go to a club that regularly challenges for the Champions league places, and that has a new owner willing to spend some money.

Why would you stay at Newcastle with an owner like Mike Ashley. I’m less interested in Newcastle than I’ve ever been nowadays.

Lets hope Mike Ashley buys HRT ;-)

Aaron95 Reply:

I’m not sure Carroll had any say in the matter? If they were offered such a ridiculous price, I doubt the Newcastle board could have said no and Carroll would be on his way whether he wanted to go or not.

43.   43. Posted By: Steve
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

I use Tweetdeck (with a customized twitter listing) , you can resize this and setup a quick refresh rate and the live F1.com timing screen. Great on the laptop with the race on…

Simon R Reply:

What is different abut your custom listing from the ones of the Tweets site?

44.   44. Posted By: Duncan
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

I used the iphone timing app last year and it was quite jerky & slow to update at times.

The BBC driver feature was good and appeared the closest to what was happening on the TV.

The F1 official site live timing appeared to be slightly ahead of the tv action which was quite disconcerting at times.

Mercedes have a live timing bit on their site which was very similar to the McLaren site.

The problem I found was watching all the timing screens meant I wasn’t concentrating on the pictures enough and ended up just giving up and watching the telly.

45.   45. Posted By: Ersel
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Hi James,
    I always dream about a website which we can listen the ongoing team radio conversations between the drivers and the pits.it could be really usefull and enjoyable to listen every driver when ever you want.I can also pay some extra $ for this:) and i also know i am not the only person who dream about this.

Nadeem Reply:

I’ll second that

46.   46. Posted By: Hare
        Date: January 31st, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

I follow races online with a few tools, but I enjoy http://www.F1Fantatic.co.uk with Keith live blogging coverage. Basically a chat room with the tweets from various main people including yourself I think.

Lots of people, a nice buzz about it.

I would use the F1 app but it cost a fortune now! Too much I think.

47.   47. Posted By: Fausto Cunha
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 12:42 am

Normally i follow the tweets of James and the living time of F1.com on my PDA all weekend, it´s very interesting and the live timing it´s even a litle bit faster than the tv.

It would be interesting to have a telemetry app with data of the car, tyres, levels of downforce etc…

48.   48. Posted By: Phillip
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 1:18 am

Hi everyone. I am in USA, and used to watch both the pre-race and the race show on SpeedTV. However, I’ve given up pay television, and am just relying on the internet now.

I am searching for ways to watch F1 races online. Live would be best, and I’ve heard about ways to rent a British IP address to get the BBC feed, but it doesn’t seem like a sure thing.

Any other good ideas out there for finding a either a live or a recorded way to watch F1 races online (English language would be best).

Thanks to all.

Steve Reply:

You can use StrongVPN to watch live BBC coverage. I do the same from Finland.

49.   49. Posted By: Hamad
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 1:51 am

On another note, TEAM RADIO!

I recall reading this will be open to broadcasters or race tv director starting 2012/13?? or was it a wet dream??

please reply James, I believe that by itself will transform the show 10 times over.

James Allen Reply:

There is a move to make it more available to public. I guess FOM are the ones to sell it via their site

Ian H Reply:

how about the FIA opening up more of its comm’s for TV, so as we can hear feedback from safety car driver/ comms between stewarts in relation to penalties during races (as opposed to having text flash up at bottom of screen)etc

50.   50. Posted By: Niall
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 2:32 am

I think the whole reason for the Soft Pauer app having a tough time is definitely due to costs. I am a complete >>die-hard<< fan (seriously!)but I really cannot see how they can expect people to pay over AU$32 (£18-20?) for this. That is a lot of money for an app. Sure, they must have to pay a large licence fee to FOM to use the data, but if they reduced the cost to a third of what they ask, I'm fairly certain they would get more than 3 times the sales. AU$10-12 (£6-7) is a far more reasonable price for a year imho. Whats the average monthly wage for countries such as China, India, South Korea etc? How do FOM expect to break into these markets when the majority of people trying to follow wont be able afford access to this helpful technology? Lower the price Soft Pauer- more sales, more profit, everyone happy.

Andy C Reply:

But still. Per race its not that expensive.

[Reply]

51.   51. Posted By: Damien (aka Frenchie)
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 3:27 am

When watching a race on TV, I like to have F1 timings and a selection of tweets (mainly from teams) to keep track of what going on of the stuff not shown on TV.
    In 2010, I liked to keep an eye on Kobayashi.

However, when attending a race, Kangaroo TV offers some good features when it comes to timings an choice of audio.
    There is even a mode for die hard fans to hear BBC Radio 5 Live commentary and pretty much anything said between driver and pitwall as well as some pitwall conversations between engineers/staff.
    I also keep an eye on my selected tweets via my mobile phone.

52.   52. Posted By: devilsadvocate
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 5:31 am

someone may have mentioned this or not, but I use the Formula Racing app for iPhone, its not the best but it has a live timing app that works seamlessly even out in the boonies where I live and only have GPRS connectivity, posts live updates of practice, quali and race during the weekend and compiles all the F1 articles from crash.net for your steady dose of F1 crack during the week. Its all Ive got when JAonF1 refuses to load the mobile version and I dont have my laptop handy.

53.   53. Posted By: Rich C
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 5:39 am

I’d like to have the TimeZone Reset app running! That way it would be daylight here when the races are on and the damn vampires would not be obstructing my view!

54.   54. Posted By: Stevie P
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Me? I go with BBC TV coverage, F1 official live timing screens and then the BBC car tracker – although as someone else pointed out, it can be a tad slow to refresh (but then again that might not be their end, but mine).

I use the car tracker only around pit-stop time, to see if someone will gain\lose a place whilst another is pitting etc, etc – other than that it’s useless im(h)o, unless you wish to follow a specific driver lower in the pack (ie, not regularly on the TV feed).

I used JA tweets page last year during testing – it’s the best place for all tweet feeds as James (or his cronies – ha ha!) combine all :-) Nice work!!

And that’s it… any more and for me it’d be information overload.

I’ve normally got a good idea\vibe of who is where on the track (which comes from watching F1 for years n years) and my girlfriend gets annoyed with me because I keep pre-empting the commentators – ha ha!! ie, I’ll say something, 2 mins later the commentator says the same thing… I then receive an incredulous look ;-) [Wow! Get me!!!]

So I’m more than happy with what’s provided for my enjoyment\benefit.

I’ve got to say the director of the TV feed is normally pretty sharp and must have analysts (a Mark Hughes type) in the background alerting the director to potential incidents, over-takes etc, etc – so that they catch the action. Is this one person\company responsible now? I think it is. I seem to recall in the 70′s and 80′s each country broadcast their own race, thus in certain countries you wouldn’t see any other car, other than that from the host nation ;-)

55.   55. Posted By: Andrew S
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Let us know what tools you use to enhance your understanding of the sport.

To answer this bluntley – a bottle of wine for my girlfriend – provides the silence i need to watch the race in peace and quiet (possibly not the kind of thing this post is about but true none the less)

56.   56. Posted By: Marty McSuperFly
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 10:37 am

The killer app for me is Sky+
    ;-)

57.   57. Posted By: Ted the Mechanic
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

My favourite tweeters are @GrandPrixDiary and @sniffpetrol. They are legends in their own lounge rooms…

I try to come up with some funny tweets myself but @GrandPrixDiary is classic.

Also less races starting at Midnight New Zealand time would be nice…

I have trouble getting to work at 7.30am when I çan’t go to bed until 2.00am every 2nd Sunday!

58.   58. Posted By: seifenkistler
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Living in a countryside area without broadband internet and the house mid in forest in a black hole for receiving cellular phones, ….

The most advanced tool i bought last autumn were wireless earphones. Having 5 children (4 daughters, 2 teenage ones) aged 3 to 15 i noticed that the last time i could actually listen to a TV speaker while a Formula1 race was 2 years back.

Without the phones most i was hearing was talk like:
    “Der Vettel ist ja so süss, hat der eine Freundin?” “Ja!” “Mist!” “Der ist doch eh zu klein…”

Vettel is so sweet, did he have a girl friend? – Yes! – Shit! – He is too small anyway…

Our oldest daughter is sadly 193 centimetres. So all this talk about engines, overtaking, rules, …

What people really want to know: Girlfriends, most liked food, how to do the food (in case they really meet a driver and want to cook for him), …
    So fire these old technic experts, hire some girls with knowledge about high society, cooking, fashion. Do a split screen, and the race please be the smaller part.

So the most asked question in my family is not new car technic but how Vettel will name his new car and who is the girl behinf this name.

59.   59. Posted By: Nilesh
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

We all love pictures! And Darren Heath captures some fantastic moments. It would be wonderful if we have a slideshow of pics accompanying each article or probably a weekend package of 20 odd pics.

60.   60. Posted By: Tombstone
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

I just use the official ‘Live Timing’ screen on my laptop – in addition to the BBC’s excellent coverage of course.

Anything else is superfluous.

61.   61. Posted By: Miha
        Date: February 1st, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

I thought it was you who wrote comments for last year’s iPhone app. Is that correct? What was the problem? 2011 app is already for sale (I bought it in december). I hope it will work fine, because it really helps and makes watching F1 more interesting.

Oh, and thank you for your Tweets site…

James Allen Reply:

No I did it in 2009, but not last year. They were short of budget last year

62.   62. Posted By: Alex
        Date: February 2nd, 2011 @ 7:01 am

Alarm clock works wonders for Aussies watching the Brazil GP.

63.   63. Posted By: Dave
        Date: February 2nd, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Here’s a picture of my setup, the only thing you can’t see is my phone’s Twitter feed (as I’m using it to take the photo!)

64.   64. Posted By: Daniele Demichelis
        Date: February 2nd, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Hi to you all. I just set up a list of interesting tweeters related to F1, and I’m following the Valencia tests through it, while I’m at the office, and I would like to share it with you. The list is published at http://twitter.com/#!/list/escher75/f1

Bye

65.   65. Posted By: Alex
        Date: April 14th, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

but we need more feeds… for China we’ll hook up another couple of screens for the Mclaren and Williams telemetry feeds…. but we’re still looking for an api to the telemetry data so we can build an app that shows a similar kind of graphic to the one the BBC has for the engine revs, gears, DRS availability, KERS %age, etc. etc.