Tous Avec Jules #17
Sochi 2014
Russian Grand Prix
Horner “disappointed” Webber didn’t inform him of broken shoulder
Horner “disappointed” Webber didn’t inform him of broken shoulder
Posted By: James Allen  |  07 Dec 2010   |  1:20 am GMT  |  79 comments

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has admitted that his driver Mark Webber should have told him about the shoulder fracture he suffered before the Japanese Grand Prix this season.

Yesterday morning JA on F1 broke the story that Webber had driven the last four races of the season with a broken shoulder. The 34 year old made the admission in his new book that he suffered a second mountain bike accident in two years resulting in a fractured shoulder, ironically the first time he’d been on a mountain bike since his collision with a vehicle in Tasmania.

“I didn’t even know about the book, let alone the shoulder,” Horner said.

“It is obviously disappointing that Mark said nothing. It was an injury that did not appear to have any effect on his performance but all the same it would have been nice to know about it.”

It is unlikely that Webber will go anywhere near a mountain bike again while he is still racing, but just in case he was tempted, Horner has issued a stong warning to steer clear, “Our drivers have an obligation to make sure they are fit, ” he said. “It seems bikes don’t agree with Mark so maybe it would be better if he stayed away from them.”

Photo: Darren Heath

1. Ben says:

There is no doubt that regardless of the reality of the situation, Mark felt like the team was behind Vettel. Anyone in that state of mind would not want to give them the excuse to back the other driver. Not only that, he would know his obligations to the team, and despite the fact both accidents were out of his control, he would have felt that he had let them down by getting injured on a bike again. It is no surprise to me that he hid this from them, and I doubt it surprises Horner, even though Horner is correct when he said it would have been helpful to know.

It surprises me that Webber’s contract does not require him to at least inform the team when he is planning on releasing a book relating to his career in Formula 1. I can imagine that Red Bull will be writing that in to all future contracts so they can at least have a heads up.

1. Declan says:

I agree that there is a balance between ‘loyalty’ and ‘individualism’. And I think Red Bull have struck a chord by refreshingly balancing this differently to other teams.

Your contract idea sounds similar to one signed by the Stig – and I for one don’t want drivers to be anonymous corporate puppets! I think the less legal control a team has over a driver is ultimately better for F1. I would dread returning to the days of one-dimensional drivers who toed the line at the height of the commercial manufacturers boom. zzz.

That being said, your point about moral obligation is another matter!

1. Tim. says:

Hum….”moral obligation” seems that could go both way …team too!

2. Lilla My says:

You’re absolutely right – it should go both ways, but… if the team is unfair towards “me”, then in response I can act fair or unfair towards them. First thought would of course be to act the way they do (be unfair), but that will not make my situation any better and can actually make it even worse in fact (while I think “my” goal would be to make my situation better). This way it can last forever: “you’re unfair, so I’ll be unfair” and so on. Somebody has to stop it at some point and play fair. I mean, I absolutely understand that Webber didn’t tell it to the team during the season, but revealing it to the boss before the book was published, wouldn’t be such a bad idea. MAYBE it wouldn’t make Webber’s situation any better, but it WOULDN’T make it worse. Now, making the team principal learn such a thing from a book, surely WILL NOT make his situation better and CAN make it worse. What I mean is that, if Webber feels bad in Red Bull, then he should either accept it or do something about it. Doing such a thing (revealing a very important information in a book and not informing the team about it) is definitely (IMHO) not a way to make his situation better (and could actually make it even worse).

3. Lilla My says:

I was thinking about drivers having some kind of clauses in their contracts that would prevent them from doing dangerous sports and things that might cause an accident. But then I thought it wuldn’t be really doable: how to distinguish between dangerous and accident-prone things and the ones that are safe? What’s more they have ti stay fit so they need to do sports – and let’s be honest you can get seriously injured when doing almost everything. So I agree with you that any control over their activities in ther free time would make them puppets which would be so bad.

When it comes to publishing a book, I don’t think the team should control that in any way (I guess they have some clauses in their contracts that prevent them from revealing team’s secrets anyway and they can write what they want about their private lives and breaking your arm is in a way a private thing).

“moral obligation”? I would call it reasonable thinking (and I don’t mean that Webber isn’t reasonable!) – it would be simply wiser to inform your boss after the season that you had an arm broken so that he wouldn’t learn about it from the book. The public would still be attracted with such a revelation, but at least Webber wouldn’t be the one that hid such an important thing from the team. I guess that wouldn’t make his situation harder within the team and could make it actually better.

2. Frenchie says:

I would also add to this the pressure of maybe just having one shot at the title. Not many drivers happen to drive a championship winning car several years during their career.

This last detail must have added the points you mention when deciding not to say anything to the team.

I found it surprising though that one can hide a shoulder fracture from his environment. This tells us how remote he must have been in the team.

2. Max Smoot says:

Webber put his team at risk of losing the Manufacturers’ Championship by this. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Red Bull reconsider the terms of his contract.

1. Paul says:

But they won the WCC so your point is moot Smoot

3. KerbRider says:

2011 tension start before 2010 has even finished. No great forseeing power needed to realise his contract will NOT be renewed for 2012.

1. Tim. says:

It was already gone, they did not need a reason.

4. Jo Torrent says:

It’s really bizarre the way Webber behaves towards his team. I understand that he didn’t inform of his injury to avoid revealing his weaknesses but once he decided to reveal it to the media, the least he can do is to phone HORNER to inform him before.

What will he gain from that, more enemies inside the team, more indifference inside the team in the best scenario. I can’t imagine a driver publishing a book without informing his employer and sending him a copy before publication ! Am I wrong ?

Horner isn’t in the Austrian wing of the team. He is the head of the English wing where Webber is supposed to find his support. If he’s looking to worsen relationships with everybody, it’s his problem. Maybe next year, once the title is lost those bad relationships will provide a good excuse to explain why he didn’t deliver.

Last point, it’s clear he’s unhappy with the team and the team is increasingly unhappy with his behaviour. Why wouldn’t he leave. I’m sure RedBull won’t keep him against his will and there’s no shortage of skilled drivers out there. If he’s unhappy, it’s the best solution for everybody.

1. Paul says:

Why would he leave Red Bull when they are pumping out the best F1 cars he has driven?
      He might be unhappy with some aspects of RBR but driving those rockets used to be something he could only dream about.

1. Galapago555 says:

Yep, it seems to be very hard to decide. Best cars so far – and probably next year, who knows?-, but he will have to compete with Team’s favourite – and now his mate is the youngest ever WDC! I sincerely don’t believe that RBR would apply the “no number one driver until the very last lap of the last race” should have been Seb the one in front after Brazil…

2. Lilla My says:

I agree that revealing the truth during the season wouldn’t have brought him anything good (if he felt that Vettel was the team’s favourite then admitting that he had his arm broken would only give the team more reasons to support Vettel) and you’re probably right that it’s not a wise thing to make the team proncipal learn such a thing from his book. I like Webber – he might not be (IMO) the absolutely top driver, but he seems sincere and quite likeable. However the way he handles the situation in Red Bull seems strange sometimes. On the one hand he’d like to have the team’s support, but then he acts too independently from time to time – as if he was a one man team within a team. That won’t win him many friends in RB.

Why won’t he leave Red Bull? It’s always easy to say “leave, if you don’t like it here”. I guess, Red Bull guarantees him a fast car. Yes – Sebastian Vettel (now the world champion which makes it even worse) is the favourite, but Webber wouldn’t have a better situation in any other team. Other teams (apart from RB) that can give him a winning car are probably Ferrari and McLaren (maybe Mercedes?), but I don’t think they would like to hire him. And even if he did find a seat in any of these teams, his situation wouldn’t be any better – Ferrari has Alonso as a clear no 1. I also can’t see Webber beating Hamilton in McLaren. He could be treated better in some other teams of course (maybe have a number one status), but these would give him slower cars and no possibility to fight for the championship at all. So his chances to do so (fight for WDC) in Red Bull don’t look good, but at least they exist because of the speed of the car. There’s such a fierce competition on top and so many good drivers that there’s no other place for Webber to go (if he still wants to have a shot at the WDC, even a theoretical one).

5. EK says:

Webber seems to be doing a good job of distancing himself from the team of late – starting with the outburst in Brazil and now these revelations…

6. MP says:

Something reads a little strange about this story. I am ok with Webber and he was my choice to win but this just seems like such another stupid thing to do. Also he gets injections for pain and team does not know? Cannot tell that he has something going on like a broken shoulder? If the team could not tell it was a non issue. I have to say I lost some respect for him at the end with all his big soapbox and then not coming up with it in the last races. Glad his mate won. Mark no more drama thanks.

1. Alexx says:

Agreed!

Seems he does actually have a shopping list of excuses!

7. opsin says:

I’m very glad to hear he’s going to help keep him away from bikes. I mean, seriously…

Given how close things were and the perceptions about the team backing Vettel, I can imagine Webber feeling that if he told them about it they’d insist on backing Seb straight off.

8. Racergil says:

Dear James
    I am really quite astonished that Mark did not inform his team, although I can somewhat understand his reticence on the issue. After the accident in 2008, and the potentially serious implications to his racing career, he might not be so inclined to reveal his complete lack of judgement at that stage of the season. I am doubly surprised that he decided to reveal it in his book after the fact. If I was the team owner, or Horner for that matter, I would be awfully miffed. He really does look quite stupid to me now. As far as it not having any effect on his performance is concerned, its pure rubbish! How can it possibly be that at this level of motor sport, with the type of physical demands of GP weekend, that this will not have even a fraction of second implication, on a q3 lap, or the start of a race. It isn’t mere coincidence that his performance literally plummeted from that point on. Certainly it did not show any team spirit. On the other hand, it can be argued that Mark had accumulated a substantial amount of disdain for his team following Silverstone, and was basically playing it all for himself.
    What are your thoughts?

1. Not sure that rounding on Weber at this time is really appropriate from the information available to outsiders. No one will ever know the true motives on either side, but from the outside, the Team’s and Horner’s credibility had been severely compromised by them – and who knows what happened before the situation went public at Silverstone? It was also reported that F1′s Doctor and the trainer were informed and it would seem reasonable that if there was any real issue it would have been addressed. The two people who were in a position to help make a determination regarding safety were in the loop. All coaches and all QB’s usually call a better game on Monday, eh?

1. Racergil says:

My point really was not about the safety aspect of the injury itself, but rather the performance, and political implications. I am sure that safety was not the issue. My point was about the intelligence of the man to reveal this now, especially in view of the drop off in performance he showed at the end of the season. Politically, within the team he is due to race for next season, it really isn’t an enlightened move. If he would have kept quiet about it, no political repercussions would occur. However, now, he should not be surprised to be relegated to a #2 status simply because the team knows, that rightly or wrongly, Mark is clearly out for his own glory at all costs. I also can’t understand that you claim that the team and Horner have lost credibility. They won both championships this year, and regardless of emotion, one has to admit that they are vindicated. Again it can be argued that injury was not a factor as much as overall pressure to succeed was. Then I would say that perhaps Mark does not have the stuff of champions to begin with. After all, Button was in a similar situation last year when his performance dropped off in the second half, while Reubens was soaring. Ultimately, despite heavy criticism and huge pressure, Button did show the stuff of Champions by putting it all away in the penultimate race.
        Webber just imploded and I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Politically though, approaching what could arguably be his final season in F1, and certainly his last real kick at the can, its completely suicidal.

9. Owen says:

I am a huge MW fan but I don’t understand why he didn’t tell the team… I’m sure he has his reasons though.

10. Connor says:

Interesting story. Although I understand Horners position in terms of Management and knowledge. I would agree with Webers decision to keep things secret. It could be seen as fuel for managements decision to favorite Vettel through the championship fight.

11. Pinball says:

At the end of the day, Red Bull is only his employer, and like any other job Webber should have no obiligation to inform his employer of his personal situation if it isn’t going to affect his professional situation, and obiviously Webber considered that it wouldn’t.

Aside from the crash in Korea (which could happened with or without the broken bone), a fair person would say that it didn’t affect is professional situation.

Maybe Red Bull need to take a look at their own organisation and work out why Webber felt he couldn’t / shouldn’t share the information with the team, rather than just being annoyed. In a workplace where there is a harmonious and happy team the members are more likely to share personal matters with other members.

12. dufus101 says:

It may have been the first time Webber went on a mountain bike at full noise, but it wasn’t the first occasion back on the treadley completely.

He did, at the very least, a mountain bike ride with Jake Humphries for a piece aired as part of the BBC Silverstone coverage.

(sorry to be pedantic James).

13. bones says:

I am still trying to figure what made Webber to tell about this,perhaps he wants ppl to think that the injury was the cause of him losing the championship,does he wants his team to realize he never trusted them?is he pressing the buttons so RB fired him so he can go to other team knowing that his best chance to win the W in that team has gone?
    He felt he was getting a number 2 treatment this year,does he really think that after knowing this his situation will improve?

1. Alexx says:

He is trying to sell books!

1. Tim. says:

Damn does he really need the money

14. Gary Smith says:

I don’t blame Webber for one second for not telling Horner about his injury as it would be the perfect excuse for the team to legitamize him as the number two driver. He was in the best position of his career to take his first (and last?) WDC and with the memories of Silverstone still in his mind he wouldn’t want the team to have any excuse to question his fitness and ability to secure the WDC.

Having said that, keeping from the team an injury of this nature and failing to mention he was writing and about to release an end of season book does show Webber has a complete lack of trust in Red Bull management. You can’t help but think that if he does stay with the team until the end of next year then he’s unlikely to be driving for RBR in 2012.

Even before we reach 2011 the tension within Red Bull is already starting to build and I can’t wait for it to begin.

1. Aussie Grit says:

Garry i agree with you 100%,it is quite obvious to me that Mark didn’t have the confidence to go to Horner ,and i don’t blame him

15. dmister says:

“Horner said that there was no visible drop off in Webber’s performance to suggest an injury and he didn’t suspect anything”.

Ooh that sounds like someone protecting their position. Does Christian also think Marks Abu quali wasn’t a drop in performance ?

A cold and wet Suzuka, not good for a broken shoulder. When your in any sport and your muscles are warm you can push through a little more pain. I imagine all those slow laps behind the pace car in Suzuka cooled the shoulder down and then when he had to turn it up after the pace car it hurt.
    Ahh just my theory.

16. LouJ says:

why is webber so reluctant to be honest.
    does he dread the reception if he tells the truth?

1. LycraClad says:

Yes he probably does!

This incident reveals volumes about the situation in the team. Mark has spoken publicly about his difficulties with the team this season and it’s because of this he didn’t inform the team of his injury. He clearly doesn’t trust the team.

The problem now is that by revealing this in his book, he has probably ruined whatever trust the team had in him. Sure, he causes problems by speaking publicly on team politics, but he could be relied upon to help the team achieve its goals. But now? Horner must be questioning this.

17. LouJ says:

aha! just sween previous conversation where someone says he would possibly have been in breach of contract.
    sorry folks, will try to keep up in future :)

18. Spencer says:

Mark really seems to know all the buttons to press to ensure he remains a number 2 driver

19. Kel says:

Horner should stop whining and be grateful for what he has. Surely he’s the most replaceable element of the Red Bull ‘dream team’.

20. Andrew S says:

I appreciate people have a life away from work but wouldnt you have thought MW would have mentioned to his boss that he was writing a book? Let alone the shoulder injury.
    Wouldnt the FIA (the doctore MW told) be obliged to ensure it was safe to drive?
    What would have happened if it had caused an accident and god forbid seriously injured MW or another driver?

I genuinely admire MWs fighting spirit (Aussie Grit) but this silence over an injury does seem to be an odd move.

1. Jo Torrent says:

The Doctor must have concluded MW was fit enough to race. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have allowed him. I think the reason MW informed the doctor was to cover himself in case of an accident. The doctor approval must be necessary for insurances.

I totally agree with you on the book. He shows a lot of disrespect for his employers.

2. Andy C says:

I think what’s even stranger is mark put it in his book. And didn’t even tell Horner behind closed doors after the season.

I’m not surprised he didn’t mention during the season…but I am surprised he didnt after.

I still wonder whether he will be driving for rb next season.

21. Alexx says:

IMO Webber seems to be playing the public against the team, my reasoning is that he tried to pressurize the team into team orders by whinging to the press about his position wthin the team.

Now he blind sides the team by stating he was injured and never said anything, trying to get the public to say how much of a hero he was racing with a broken shoulder. Why didn’t he tell Horner about it??

Could that failure to disclose his status not result in a breach of contact? He misled his own team!

Red Bull should replace him with Kimi, Webber is a 2nd Barrichello!

22. darko says:

Well Horner didn’t tell Mark they were gonna switch the wing @ Silverstone…. I say it’s one-all……..

23. Paul Mc says:

I dont believe any other team would tolerate a driver not disclosing a medical injury. Could you see Lewis or Jenson doing it? Nope. Just underlines the basic lack of trust Mark has in the team. Of course I’m sure Mark had his reasons mainly that the injury might have given Red Bull an extra reason to favor Vettel in the remaining races.

Still I don’t really see why Mark would want to do a book and reveal this. It’s plainly obvious that he wants out and I’m astonished Ferrari have not reacted here. Surely Mark is a great fit there, he even seems to get along with Alonso.

24. LiamC says:

Pitpass is intimating that Webber won’t be at Red Bull next year, and if so, this gives them the perfect excuse. I follow Mark in the WDC, and I would be sad if he wasn’t in a championship contending car, but I don’t think Mark has done himself any favours in the back half of the season. The real story of what went on at Chez Red Bull would be fascinating…

1. AndoNeo says:

Mark’s contract would be air tight. The only way it could happen is if they both agreed to it. The Red Bull management could in theory make it clear to him that his place within the team will not be supported next year but they risk the constructors money then.

I think it’s a no brainer for Red Bull. Webber pushed Vettel all the way. If they rate Vettel so high, webber must by default be up there too and worthy of retention.

1. LiamC says:

I disagree. Contracts are rarely worth more than the paper they are written on. If Red Bull don’t want Mark, then they will find an excuse–and Mark may have given them one. After that, it’s in the lawyers hands.

I agree with the second part of your statement though. I think Red Bull could do far worse than Mark Webber. People are raving about Kubica and him putting the Renault in places it had no business being—Monaco, Spa, Suzuka. And Nico Rosberg. To that I say, Mark Webber:

2003, Brazil rain, Q3,(Sister car Q17), Jaguar
        2004, Malaysia, Q2, (Sis. Car Q13), Jaguar
        2006, Monaco, Q2, Williams (Sis. Car Q8 Nico Rosberg)
        2005, Hungary, Q16, finished P7
        2006, Hungary, Q5, (Sis. Car Q18 Nico Rosberg)
        among others…

2. Legend25 says:

Dont’ forget Australia 06 – Webber was leading that race in the Williams and the crowd was going crazy. Then his car had its usual technical failure, while in the lead.

25. Phil Bishop says:

Initially I was stunned at MW’s naivety of not telling his boss but revealing all in his book. Then realised the amount of PR he’s getting for said book and *kerching*…

I don’t suppose this changes anything in terms of his position at the team. Regardless of this situation there was little chance of Webber being at RBR beyond his current contract and even less of them ending his contract early.

26. Henry says:

Certain elements at Red Bull weren’t being honest all year that they were backing Vettel to win the title so strongly that, deep down, they would have preferred a driver from another team to win it if Vettel couldn’t. And people want Webber to be honest about an injury that would have given them the perfect excuse to do publicly what they were doing privately? Please.

1. Aussie Grit says:

Great post, 100% you got it right

27. Stevie P says:

It does seem odd that Horner didn’t even know about the book. Curiouser and curiouser.

28. Simo says:

Just wanted to say James recieved your book a couple of days ago and from what I have read so far, its a great read!

29. Ben N says:

Odd behaviour from Webber, and I share Horner’s sentiments. As an athlete you are surely required to let your manager know when you are injured… I respect him for being able to keep it quiet and not complaining about it. But maybe Horner could’ve helped him in someway, rest him more or something.

Foolish in my opinion, I would be fuming if I were Horner, and it does show a break down in communication between the two.

30. James Punt says:

All this has proved to be a very successful tool for advertising that he has a new book to flog this Xmas. I’ts hard to get noticed at this time of year but he has mangaged it. A few more dollars for the early retirement policy perhaps?

1. Phil Bishop says:

my thoughts exactly

2. Tombob says:

Possibly, but if all the book reveals is a broken shoulder, it’s not saying much. If it contained any more inside info on his season then I’m sure that would also have been reported.

I see Webber in a similar position to Coulthard at McLaren, except Webber has a greater intensity and is far more outspoken, so his frustrations spill into the public domain when they should be directed at either the team or hiimself.

I’m a Webber fan, but it seems that since his wins in Silverstone and Hungary, the only headlines he’s generated have been off-track and have generally not done him any favours.

Time to put up or shut up.

3. AndoNeo says:

I’m heading down to buy my copy right now mate! You kidding me. Me thinks that hardcore Webber fans like myself were pretty much going to buy this book no matter what. But hell’s yeah with this juicy tid bit!

4. Chau says:

Look like Mark learned a thing or two about marketing from one of the best marketer in the world Red Bull.

31. Christopher Snowdon says:

The relationship between Mark Webber and Red Bull fell apart at Silverstone, and must have been on the verge of doing so before that, Turkey didn’t help, but I feel it runs deeper than that, and let’s be honest, with Vettel around, nothing is going to save or salvage that now. Although Vettel won the title, I standby my belief the team should have got behind Webber from Brazil (ie – play the percentages, and by all accounts Webber did to, maybe adding to the reason he said nothing). In Webbers case, it’s blindingly obvious the trust has gone, even to the point where Red Bull were willing to risk all on Vettel, even if that meant loosing the world championship. I get the impression that if Webber had won it, it would have been a hollow victory for the team. It’s almost like they had a vision of their man Vettel winning and Mark was threatening that, bit like a man who wants to build his own house to his vision, but gets it threatens by planners, architects and local residents. When you plan something out in your mind, that’s the way you want it to be. I agree with the view on here that Webber will not be wanted after next year, but you get the impression he will be replaced with a driver who’s happy to play what I call the Rubens role (sorry Rubens – doesn’t mean I don’t love your). This depends on Red Bull continuing to make the best cars, so they don’t become vulnerable to loosing Vettel.

Unfortunately for Mark, it’s Red Bull who are producing the best cars right now (not unfortunate in the fact he’s driving one I guess), and represents his best chance for success. Mark is only damaging himself with this shoulder incident, and more and more it seems, he is chipping away at his reputation with his actions AWAY from the track, which is very sad. I can understand why he kept quiet, but that should have been a long term strategy, and not a short term one (ie – reveal once he’s moved on, or retired etc). It’s worrying that a man in such a titanic scrap for the title is writing such books (another reason Red Bull won’t be happy), and it’s always begged the question, why do active sportsman insist on devoting time and energy to such projects, especially when they have all the time in the world to do so when they retire (I know money, and it’s Christmas season, and making such claims will sell books etc), but even so, sportsman writing books mid career always seems to create issue’s. But as everyone has alluded to, such frictions add to the spectacle, bring on 2011, but one thing for sure; it’s a bleak future for a team and driver where the driver can’t feel confident enough to inform them of a serious shoulder injury. Under the circumstances, especially given Mark’s championship position, the team should have broken it’s back to support Mark with rehab and adapt the car, seating etc to try and make Mark as comfortable as possible, in reality Mark knew it would be used as an excuse to weaken his already weakened standing within the team (if you can call their relationship team play?). I’m not even going to go into the safety issues, but for me it confirms he knows what Red Bull’s intentions were, but in reality, we all know.

32. Geckko says:

Horner reaped what he sowed on this.

To nuture an adverserial culture in the team will produce adverserial behaviour.

33. Lewis Jones says:

All I would say on this is FFS Mark, stay off mountain bikes if you’re that bad at staying on them! If 2010 does end up having been a case of ‘what might have been’, that shoulder injury could well have been the difference between a WDC and nothing.
    I sure as heck hope he isn’t tempting fate by doing another Tasmania challenge again this winter…..

34. Did Horner find out from this book being published etc , or did weber go to him after the season end and tell him ?

article does not make that part clear.

Matt

Horner found out from journos asking him at the BRDC lunch

35. Nathan says:

I’m a massive Webber fan and would like to know why he didn’t tell the team. I don’t think it was a case of breech of contract because he has shot himself in the foot because he has admitted what he has done. I know i have played sports (rugby & cricket) with injuries and haven’t told the coach because i really wanted to play and didn’t want to be dropped, but i wasn’t on a multi million dollar contract.
    James do you think that this is kinda a publicity stunt by Red Bull (i do believe he cracked his shoulder). With everything that Mark has said and done over the last 6 months almost all teams would have punted him but Red Bull haven’t. After all Red Bull are in F1 to sell Jager Bombs ;)

1. Lilla My says:

It’s one thing not to tell your boss (I can also understand that perfectly), but quite another to reveal it in a book and make your boss learn about it from the media. That might be a good publicity in terms of the book sales, but it won’t bring Webber much popularity within the team. I think Webber doesn’t really trust the team and he has just shown it to the world yet again. If he doesn’t like the situation he’s in in RB, then I don’t think this is the way to make it better. If I were the boss, I wouldn’t like such a behaviour for sure. He didn’t tell Horner during the season – that’s fine, but he should have called his boss before the book was published and tell him about the accident.

The public would still be interested (shocked?), but at least it would be more fair towards the team (I know they weren’t always fair to Webber during the season, but being even more unfair towards them will not make them, I think, change their attitude and won’t make things better).

2. Blade Runner says:

I tend to agree Nathan, and along the same lines, Red Bull being a marketing company, could “publicity stunt” not cover nearly all the goings on at that team this year?

Just think if say the nose swap, “not bad for a number two driver” and all the other headline grabbing stuff that has gone on this year was actually all part of a company policy of no such thing as bad publicity, just publicity?

Which has been carefully balanced with the constant message of equal treatment to both drivers, which on the face of it did actually happen.

Just think how much extra column inches the team has had this year on the back of these incidents.

36. chris says:

Did you get the scoop because you read the book the quickest or did you have a tip off? :-)

I got a tip off. Book is published on Australia. Which country do I present F1 coverage in?

1. chris says:

Not mine unfortunately. :-(

37. Rick J says:

Webber probably felt a bit of a fool for having this second bicycle accident. His keeping it quiet is hardly surprising as it clearly didn’t massively affect his driving as the “number 2″ driver he perceived himself to be. No one wants to have their nose rubbed in it or hand a psychological advantage to one’s opponents. Motorcycle racers frequently ride with much greater injuries the full extent of which they often minimize – Rossi’s shoulder injury a case in point. No doubt Webber mentioned it in his book to keep the record straight and also perhaps to explain and excuse his drop off in performance towards the season end to his fans. I hope he comes back stronger next season.

38. Flymo says:

Perhaps it’s the other way round. Webber (or Briatore anyway) seemed to be pushing for the team to favour him over Vettel in from around Spa onwards due to their championship positions. Revealing he had an injury would have dissuaded Horner from doing that even before Mateschitz decided on the no team orders thing.

39. nige says:

formula 1 is so safe now that it is officially safer than cycling!

40. TMorel says:

RedBull is all about the extreme sports in a full on live life to the extreme.
    Seems a bit wimpy to then go “yeah but it’s a tad dangerous so we’d rather our boys stayed at home and drank a cup of tea”

But this whole one man vs management… well it does seem to play to everyones strong points.

41. SteveK says:

Was his shoulder really broken … or was it just a chip?

1. James Punt says:

nice one!

42. aussie webber fan says:

i went to meet Mark at his booksigning in Melbourne, so many people!! Got a pic aswell!! After reading the book, it seems to me that he described the troubles of the team in a very positive manner, it was also a reflection on a great team result for 2010. It was more like a christmas gift to the team, including appreciation for team members at all levels! So without sounding rude, please read the book 1st as you will then know that the context is very positive and Red Bull should appreciate the free exposure and advertising of the brand

1. Geri says:

I agree with this. Finished the book yesterday and was actually a little disappointed that there wasn’t any slagging off of the team or Sebastian Vettel.

RBR have nothing to worry about. There is nothing in there to lose sleep about. The shoulder injury is like a paragraph and doesn’t even mention that the team was unaware.

It was a nice summary of the best year of his career (to date) and very positive in tone. I will now hope he releases another book after he retires that actually has real dirt about his time in RBR. That will be a book worth reading and discussing.

43. D. says:

This is classic Webber. The man just has a knack for crashing, whether it’s an F1 car or a mountain bike. And, where is the common sense to avoid any risky activities at the end of the season, when you are leading the WDC and need every bit of fitness at your disposal ? This is what I have been talking about for long time. He just doesn’t have the critical thinking needed to be a champion. Now, as to whether the accident had any effect on his performance, Horner doesn’t seem to think so.

44. James Bagnall says:

Just look at the accidents Mark had this season, and my were there some spectacular ones. His dramatic collision with Seb, Heiki nearly sending him into orbit and so on, all while at the helm of how many hundred horsepower, travelling hundreds of miles an hour. And yet he came out of all of those with only minor bumps and bruises.

However, its when he’s at the control of 0.1 horsepower on a mountain bike that he sustains a performance harming fracture. That’s pretty ironic. Perhaps the poor chap should steer clear of his ironobike next season.

45. Robbie says:

Hang on… Would I be correct in saying that he finished 2nd in Japan, did a great job in qualifing in Korea. He could have won if it had beena dry race in Korea, no?. Then in Brazil he got a 2nd. So apart from the last race his performance was only really marred by the Korea crash and the best make mistakes.