Posted on November 11, 2010
Phoney war between drivers during calm before storm in Abu Dhabi | James Allen on F1 – The official James Allen website on F1

Before we got here this week Yas Marina Circuit was hit by a powerful sandstorm, which bent the trees backwards and dumped tonnes of sand on the track. This being Abu Dhabi they have a machine for sucking up the sand, so the racing will not be affected.

I’ve been at plenty of championship showdowns over the years. There is nothing like being here to look the contenders in the eye and see how they are coping with the pressure.

There have been some stormy ones, I recall Jerez 1997 for example and ten years later the acrimony at McLaren in the final race. But today we had a phoney war between the contenders in the press conference. Perhaps it is because this is not a duel for the title, but a battle between four contenders (albeit one with a slim chance) it seems to diffuse the tension. None of the drivers was giving anything away. Webber was subdued, not about to hand any more hand grenade quotes to journalists. Vettel was relaxed and bouncy, he has nothing to lose and he’s enjoying “teasing” the media about whether he will let Webber through if the points dictate it.

Alonso: Fourth title showdown in six years (Darren Heath)

This is the fourth time in six seasons that Alonso has been in the showdown, driving three different chassis, which tells its own story. He’s got the head for this, but he’s behaving in a very reserved way so far.

Everyone is talking about the possible permutations on Sunday, with most insiders expecting Sebastian Vettel to be out front waiting to see what kind of line up is behind him. In press briefings with drivers and with team principals, every scenario under the sun has been discussed, but until they go out ot qualify on Saturday no-one really knows.

My hunch is that Vettel will get pole and control the race and that the battle between Webber and Alonso for second place on the grid and into the first corner will decide the championship. Webber has struggled to match Vettel for pace since Monza, albeit some times he’s been only a tenth off in qualifying. He needs to raise his game and go out and take it this weekend, otherwise Alonso will have him.

The last two years’ champions, Hamilton and Button, have needed a fifth place to clinch. Ironically that is the result Vettel wants for Alonso this year, as it would allow him to keep his race lead and take the title.

Red Bull confirmed today that Vettel’s failure in Korea, which dealt a body blow to his chances, was caused by a con-rod problem. The engine had done 1600km. Webber’s engine in Brazil had a radiator issue which caused it to run hot and the team won’t risk that engine this weekend. Alonso is on race three with the engine which won Monza and finished third in Brazil.

Meanwhile a group of us sat on the rooftop of the Red Bull hospitality this evening as darkness fell, talking tactics with Red Bull boss Christian Horner, who said that if the points dictate it he cannot imagine Vettel not letting Webber through, however he underlined that it would be “a gesture by the driver, not an instruction from the team.”

It would be a supreme irony if this season, which has been all about teammate rivalries and expectations, should end with Vettel handing the title to Webber. But we will have to see.

I also took in a visit to Michael Schumacher, who was pouring over the balance sheet of his season. A misfiring comeback, in many ways, the season has not turned out the way he or any of us expected.

He said he was not happy with some things this season, but was happy that he’d been able to get more out of the car recently not because of development, because they stopped that some time ago, but simply by learning more about it. He compared the way he feels today, “Really very good” with the end of 2006 when he retired, “Completely empty and overloaded.” He will be back next year, he said, because “I’m having fun.”

Further down the pit lane, the team currently known as Lotus threw in a curved ball by announcing that next year they will race in black and gold, the hugely evocative colours of Lotus at the time of the John Player Special sponsorship. For anyone 35 or over this is the car of their childhood.

Tony Fernandes is thinking on his feet as it looks increasingly likely that he will not be able to call his team Lotus next year due to licencing issues with Group Lotus, who are lining up to sponsor the Renault F1 team. Whether unwittingly or not, Fernandes’ move will irritate Renault F1 owner Gerard Lopez as I’m reliably informed by a French colleague that Lopez’ favourite toy as a child was his JPS Lotus and that it gave him a life long love of the brand..

Ferrari announced that Jules Bianchi will be the test driver, but stopped short of saying “reserve” driver, the spare man role at races currently carried out by Giancarlo Fisichella.

To celebrate the launch of James Allen on F1 2010 : Five Rivals One Champion, (due to be published November 29th) I’m going to give a signed copy of the book away in a predictions competition. Guess the margin in qualifying between Alonso and Webber (specifying who’s faster) to win a signed copy of the book. Leave your predictions in the comments section below. If there is more than one correct answer, the first one left on our system will be the winner. Entries close when Qualifying 1 starts at 5pm Abu Dhabi time

Tags:
Phoney war between drivers during calm before storm in Abu Dhabi
414 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: Mart
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

Webber is faster by 0,236 seconds.

RickeeBoy Reply:

Mark by .1

Alonso / Webber / Vettel All have done enough to be worthy champions – I’m happy if either of these 3 win. The season been so good and if 2 were to end on the same points – ( then count-back to 4th place just doesn’t seem fair ) Wouldn’t it be good to have a year with 2 World Drivers Champions because ACTUALLY they both deserve it..

Andy from Newport Reply:

I believe Alonso is on a fresh engine. He is using the one he switched out in practice in Bahrain. Under FIA rules he had to wait until the final race before he could use it.
    I would imagine a fresh engine has got to be worth a couple of tenths of a second?

James Allen Reply:

That is not correct. I checked on that that with Ferrari and they said there is no way they will risk it here. It had suspected pneumatic problems and the FIA rules do not allow them to run it on the dyno.

Andy from Newport Reply:

That is not what I wanted to hear as a Alonso fan.
    I appreciate the “real skinny” on the engine situation.

Robert Gunning Reply:

Alonso will be faster 0.129

2.   2. Posted By: Nathan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

I think Webber will be faster than Alonso by 0.2 secs

3.   3. Posted By: Garry
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

Webber in front with a gap of 0.081 seconds

Steve L 1973 Reply:

Webber is faster by 0.319 seconds

4.   4. Posted By: AP
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

I think Alonso will be faster than Webber by 1/10th of a second.

By the way James, which are the 3 showdowns Alonso has participated, before this year? I can only count 2006 and 2007….

James Allen Reply:

He contested and won in 2005 with a race to go

AP Reply:

OK, but i thought a “showdown” means a championship decided in the last race.

In addition, Brazil 2005 was 2nd last race, Japan followed that Kimi won and China that Alonso won. Right?

Trent Reply:

One way or another, Alonso has experience in this situation, and that may count.

Can’t believe we’re at the end of the season. It seems like yesterday that we were waiting anxiously for Bahrain. This season has flown – no doubt because it’s been a great one. Hope we can finish on a high.

We should savour this 4 way showdown…who knows if we’ll ever see it again!

Nathan Reply:

Vettel to retire on lap 26 while leading. Webber takes over the lead with alonso in 2nd. Alonsos engine will five up on lap 32. Webber now leading with Lewis second. Lap 37 webber has a puncture and goes off. Lewis crosses the line first and wins the championship!!!!!

5.   5. Posted By: Marc B
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

Alonso in front of Webber by 0.136 seconds.

6.   6. Posted By: tank
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Alonso ahead by ~0.05 seconds.

And I’m routing for Webber in the race.

7.   7. Posted By: crespo
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Alonso faster than Webber by less than a tenth in quali… .07s is my guess.

8.   8. Posted By: Manos
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

Alpnso faster by 0.125 sec.

9.   9. Posted By: Elliot
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Alonso > Webber margin: 0.168 seconds

Many thanks!

10.   10. Posted By: Erik
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Vettel by 0.4 secs.

11.   11. Posted By: Richard M
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Alonso to be 0.014 secs faster than Webber.

[Reply]

12.   12. Posted By: Al (21prods)
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

Superb post, James, as usual!!

You know I rarely have anything to say (unless Max Mosley has anything irritating to say), but I admit that the contest has really forced me to participate. So here I go: Alonso faster than Webber by 0,234 secs.

I will add: On Saturday, Alonso P1, Webber P2 and Vettel P3. Same results on Sunday. Everybody is giving Vettel’s win on Sunday for granted but I just have a feeling that it will not be the case. Let’s wait and see it!

PS. I must admit I had never been so anxious before a final race, but this one has just got under my skin.

PS2. James, I would appreciate it very much if on Sunday morning (for example, before the race anyway) you could write a post explaining who, in you opinion, the favourite driver is to win the WDC and who you would like wins it. I know you try to play neutral, but I’m sure you must have your preferences. Thanks anyway!

13.   13. Posted By: Viper S
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Indeed James, the baffling irony this weekend probably will be that Webber wins the title thanks to Vettel handing it over to him on a plate. The man he probably dislikes the most. And Webber has to live with that, so will his fans who are anti-Vettel to the extreme.

I think Vettel will actually feel good about it, in a humorous way, that it was thanks to him and Webber has to acknowledge that. And Webber has to remember this next season too of course…

Win-win situation for Vettel, no matter what happens this weekend.

I do not see Alonso coming close to the RBR cars. And I do not see Webber being faster than Vettel.

Or will it be a race with totally ridiculous surprises and Hamilton grabbing it? I am ready, let’s go!

14.   14. Posted By: Galapago555
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

Fernando faster than Mark by .209 secs

(I do hope so… :-D )

15.   15. Posted By: malcolm.strachan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

So I heard that if Mark Webber wins the title, he’ll marry his girlfriend… just like he suggested Button would do last year.

Any truth to that, James? Do you think Button or Hamilton will bring it up? ;-)

JimmiC Reply:

If that’s true, the service should be conducted in a two-seater F1 car, with the vicar relaying the vows to the bride and groom via the pit-to-car radio.

16.   16. Posted By: David Newsome
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

“This is the fourth time in six seasons that Alonso has been in the showdown, driving three different chassis”.

James, have any other drivers contested championship finales for three different teams (Schumacher only Benetton and Ferrari, Senna only McLaren, Prost only McLaren and Ferrari?). Is he unique in the modern era?

Personally, I hope Alonso wins on Sunday (the race and the title).

James Allen Reply:

I’d say so.

Jonathan L Reply:

Not really that recent, but I think Prost was in championship contention with 4 teams (Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams).

steakbearnaise Reply:

He probably is unique, although you could argue that Senna was in contention in 1986 for Lotus. In 1986 with five races to go he was in 2nd in the champ standings, whilst Prost who won the championship was down in fourth. Two mechanical failures in the next two races in Austria and Hungary meant Senna was too far behind at the very end of the season. In 1987 he finished third, but if his car hadn’t been disqualified in the last race (when he finished 2nd) he would have been second in the championship, albeit 10 points behind Piquet.

David Newsome Reply:

Yes, I mean specifically still in contention in the last round of the Championship. Speaking of Senna and Prost, I’m reading Malcolm Folley’s “Senna versus Prost” now. Great stuff.

17.   17. Posted By: Chris Sheldrake
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

Webber faster by .225 of a second

18.   18. Posted By: ragonte
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Although I have only posted once I follow this unique site(I think this is the word that best defines what this blog is) on an hourly basis. Congratulations James, there is no other place to go for clear and unbiased information on f1.

I just wanted to post that in my opinion Alonso is definetively going to be the next WDC. He has got all the neccesary tools in his hands:

If the F10 is competitive then he can go for a victory or a 2nd place.

In case it is not, let the bulls fight for the victory and maybe we have another Turkey. In case this does not happen and Vettel is leading, all Alonso has to do is drop to fifth place, let Vettel win the race ala Massa 2008 and then do a Hamilton 2008 and overtake car in fourth position, cross the line and become the new WDC!!!

Imagine???

Limbo Reply:

Seems crazy but this is an interesting thought…
    Vettels wins, Webber 2nd, then Alonso slows down from 3rd to fourth… Then he´s the champion ahead of the german for two points… Wow!
    Could be possible Ferrari will take that in consideration if such scenario happens?
    Will that be illegal? Immoral? Brilliant?
    I´m laughing with the idea..

DK Reply:

I agree, that will be a tricky situation … Vettel leading in the last lap, Webber second but Alonso is right behind the the gearbox of the 4th place car ….

19.   19. Posted By: David Newsome
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

P.S. Alonso quicker than Webber by 0.084.

20.   20. Posted By: Terry M
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

Ok, let’s get the ball rolling.
    Webber faster by 0.010 seconds.

21.   21. Posted By: Red5
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

It’s been a championship to savour.

Do any of the teams have 2011 spec cars, KERs + adjustable wings, ready to run Pirelli tests?

James Allen Reply:

No, they will be ready for Feb 1

22.   22. Posted By: Neil Williams
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

0.232 seconds

Neil Williams Reply:

That would Webber over Alonso!! Teach me not to read the instructions properly!

23.   23. Posted By: Alexx
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

Hi

Alonso ahead of Webber 0.239

24.   24. Posted By: William McCone
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Webber faster by 0.147

Kills me to say it, but “we’ll” destroy him in the race! :)

25.   25. Posted By: Jo Torrent
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Alonso ahead of Webber
    GAP 0,269

PS : I’m not sure about the 9/1000 though

26.   26. Posted By: DanielH
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Webber faster by 0.456 seconds.

27.   27. Posted By: Jo Torrent
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

Did someone among the media ask Horner why so much hypocrisy. There’s no way Vettel will let Webber through willingly. Not as a competitive racing driver, not after what Webber said last year and not after what he said this year.

We know it’s a team order and I have no problem with that, it’s the way it should be because the title isn’t Webber’s or Vettel’s it for hundreds of employees developing and preparing this car.

JF Reply:

I agree: I am one of those that believes F1 to be a team sport and as such am not bothered by “team orders”. I prefer them to be in open as Ferrari does rather than hidden in engine codes, fuel saving modes and pit stop delays etc. None of these drivers would have a chance without the teams working overtime behind the scenes. One bad part or loose screw and the race is done. I suspect many mechanics/engineers work much harder than the drivers for substantially less reward.

28.   28. Posted By: Jonathan De Andrade
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

Alonso faster by 0.260s

29.   29. Posted By: Jo Torrent
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Everybody’s looking for a free copy of your book James, I’ve never seen so many posts in so little time.

30.   30. Posted By: RA109
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

The final race can’t come soon enough!

Qualifying prediction: Webber ahead by .201s

31.   31. Posted By: Rungs
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

Webber faster by 0.321 seconds

32.   32. Posted By: Enigma
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

Alonso by 0.398 s

33.   33. Posted By: Ashish Sharma
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Alonso will be slower than Webber by 0.111 secs

34.   34. Posted By: Esteban
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Hey, I’m “only” 33 and that black/gold Lotus is the car of my childhood!

theothercoldone Reply:

I’m only 37, but remember the Black and Gold, and even the way the Jps emblem looked. How’s that for iconic?

P Dant Reply:

I’m 70 (i.e. in the “anyone 35 or over” category) and that isn’t the car of my childhood!!

Trent Reply:

Yep I’m with you.
    I started watching in 1986 at the age of 10, and I was immediately a Senna fan based on the colour of the car and the helmet.

I was rather disappointed when the Lotus turned yellow for ’87!

35.   35. Posted By: Jewan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

Webber will be faster than Alonso by 3/10th.

And hope he wins the championship!

36.   36. Posted By: Chris Bird
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Webber will out qualify Alonso by 0.189

37.   37. Posted By: Jo Torrent
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

The one who comes with the worst estimation of the gap should pay the book twice the price ! What do you think of the idea James ?

38.   38. Posted By: Stuart

41.   41. Posted By: nicky santoro
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

Alonso by 0.104

or else…

42.   42. Posted By: Peter Stroia-Williams
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

Webber will be 0.352 seconds faster.

43.   43. Posted By: Ed
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Webber by 0.240 seconds

44.   44. Posted By: michael Gladwin
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

Weber by .02sec

45.   45. Posted By: brad
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

Webber in front of Alonso by .189 seconds in quallie.
    Cannot wait for my book.

46.   46. Posted By: TKS
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

Webber ahead of Vettel
    Gap 0,097

47.   47. Posted By: Pedro Parrilla
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

0´135 secs

48.   48. Posted By: David Cundell
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

Webber faster by 0.329 seconds.

49.   49. Posted By: William Wallace
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.167 seconds.

50.   50. Posted By: Pedro Parrilla
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Sorry i forgot to say who´s faster. Webber faster by 0´135 secs

51.   51. Posted By: SD
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

Webber faster by 10 sec

SuperOsnola Reply:

Oh my God… ¿Alonso running on 3 wheels?

SD Reply:

Not on three wheels but just like what just happened to Massa’s car !!
    It stopped .(FP2)

May be he spins somewhere and loses few seconds…

Mclarens looking good here.

SD Reply:

Okay that won’t happen just heard on the radio massa saying NO FUEL !!

That was weird why would you go on radio about it.

Anyways matter of a day w’ll see i know Alonso is mentally very strong but Red Bull seems very fast.

52.   52. Posted By: Leigh
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

Weber 0.127 seconds faster than alonso

53.   53. Posted By: SD
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

Alonso crashes out web faster by some laps

54.   54. Posted By: Dirk S
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

WEB ahead of ALO by 0,372 secs.

55.   55. Posted By: Karen Heath
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Webber faster by 0.236 seconds.

56.   56. Posted By: Krystian
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

I predict Webber faster than Alonso in quali by 0.13 seconds.

Have really enjoyed your tweets and articules this year James, great work and many thanks =)

57.   57. Posted By: azac21
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

Alonso faster by 0.144s.

Race start should be gripping! And hopefully everybody’s engine will holp up for a GRANDE race finale!

58.   58. Posted By: Nathan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

“Many feel that the championship has one more twist in store for it; a reliability issue, perhaps another engine failure for one of the contenders. Let’s hope not.”

Speak for yourself James! Some of us have vested interests lol!

59.   59. Posted By: Charles
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

Webber faster by 0,197 seconds.

60.   60. Posted By: bob s
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

on present form you’d have to webber will be faster 0.459 but i think alonso will be champ at end of race …vettle to beat weeber as well i think ..

61.   61. Posted By: Jon Schofield
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

Webber faster by 0.112 seconds.

62.   62. Posted By: Martin Davies
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

I’d say Webber ahead of Alonso, by 0.687s.

63.   63. Posted By: Mark Vincent
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Webber / Alonso +0.432 seconds

64.   64. Posted By: Shane
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

Webber faster by 0.023 seconds

65.   65. Posted By: Feli
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

Alonso faster by 0.008 sec

66.   66. Posted By: grant
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

Webber faster by 0.305

67.   67. Posted By: Daniel Hoyes
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

Webber in front, as no time set by Alonso due to technical failure (I hope not for the chamionship’s sake, but just trying to think outside of the box).

68.   68. Posted By: Omar Kamal
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

Alonso Faster by 0.221 sec

69.   69. Posted By: Douglas
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

Re Lotus racing in black and gold – I had a Dinky of that car in the 70′s and can’t wait to see it on the grid. Are John Player Specials still made? If yes, how do they get around the subliminal tobacco advertising message – like the barcode Ferrari removed?

70.   70. Posted By: Nicholas Thornton
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

webber faster by 0.264 seconds

71.   71. Posted By: Stephen
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:34 pm

Webber by 0.378 although I think it could be more. Ferrari were poor last year.

72.   72. Posted By: Luke
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:34 pm

Alonso to be in front by 0.138
    I’ll be happy whatever the outcome – hoping for a great race!

73.   73. Posted By: Andy
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

0.429 second advantage to Webber vs Alonso for quali

Fuller Reply:

Webber by 0.154

it’s a shame but I would bet money on all 3 of them not making the end, possibly even a tangle of some kind!

74.   74. Posted By: Sylew70
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Webber by 0.076 

Vettel WDC 

75.   75. Posted By: michael blane
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

alonso by 0.121 secs.

76.   76. Posted By: Helen D
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

Really can’t wait for qualifying, I’ve taken the trip out to Abu dhabi and i’m still crossing my fingers for a mclaren victory :-)

I reckon the red bull will keep up it’s amazing quail pace and I say webber quicker than Alonso by 0.35 seconds.

77.   77. Posted By: phong
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

webber to be faster than alonso by 0.263 seconds and mark to win the championship

78.   78. Posted By: Marty McSuperfly
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

I’m going for the unlikely repeat of the 1997 Jerez qualifying. 0’000 s difference. Webber in front as he set it first.

malcolm.strachan Reply:

I was thinking the same! You beat me to it.

79.   79. Posted By: Lale
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

Webber ahead of Alonso by 0.123 seconds.

80.   80. Posted By: Aliaksey
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Webber ahead with gap of 0.3 sec

81.   81. Posted By: Richard T
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

Webber faster by 0.164 seconds

82.   82. Posted By: Tom
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by exactly 1 second.

83.   83. Posted By: sw6569
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

webber faster, 0.128

84.   84. Posted By: Paul Stevens
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

Webber by 0.342 seconds!

85.   85. Posted By: Steven N
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

Webber faster by 0.385s.

86.   86. Posted By: Mike
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

Webber by 0.354

87.   87. Posted By: Dave B
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

Alonso will beat Webber by 0.377 seconds after Webber makes a mistake on his final run.

88.   88. Posted By: Roonmastor
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

Webber ahead by 0.241 seconds

89.   89. Posted By: George
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

Webber to be 0.218s faster than Alonso.

90.   90. Posted By: Sangeen
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

Alonso just edges it by 0.06 seconds..

91.   91. Posted By: Taylor
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.301s.

92.   92. Posted By: BlackGoldLotus
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

My moniker rejoices. Today is a great day and I cannot wait to see the black and gold lotus back on track!

Webber beats Alonso by 0.083 seconds. Alonso beats him to the first corner, though.

Trent Reply:

I wonder how it will look – after all it won’t be JPS, and it was the gold thread of the JPS packet that really set that livery apart in my opinion.

I actually heard they will pick a fan-designed livery?

One can only hope they capture the feeling of the old livery. They did a great job with the green and yellow, so let’s cross our fingers.

BlackGoldLotus Reply:

It’s a good question, but I cannot see them leaving out the gold thread. Otherwise it’ll just look like an inverted Renault and become a monumental blunder. I am hoping they use all shiny black (none of that HRT mate) and then the number and the edges in gold, plus the name of the team in gold also. If they’re forced to be called 1Malaysia or AirAsia or something like that, there won’t be an issue with logo requirements by sponsors. I don’t know how they’ll address the subliminal tobacco advertising accusations, though. And I even wonder whether they’ll get into another legal fracass with JPS for it.

Yup, also heard about the contest for a fan-designed livery. Should be interesting…

Fingers firmly and repeatedly crossed indeed!

93.   93. Posted By: Allan B
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

Webber over Alonso by 0.042

94.   94. Posted By: El Shish
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

Webber to be ahead of Alonso by 0.211 seconds

95.   95. Posted By: Andrew
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

Webber faster by 0.402

96.   96. Posted By: Martin
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

0.162 Alonso faster

97.   97. Posted By: Henrik
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

Webber will be faster by 0,089 s.

98.   98. Posted By: Nilesh
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

“Lotus threw in a curved ball”

Knowing you come from the land of cricket, it’s interesting to see you use an essentially American baseball reference. :D

99.   99. Posted By: Jay B
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

Webber faster by .387

100.   100. Posted By: Drumzii
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

Alonso ahead by 0.138 seconds

Vettel winning the race but Alonso coming second and winning the championship

101.   101. Posted By: Colin
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

Webber faster by 0.222 seconds

102.   102. Posted By: malcolm.strachan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

PS. Webber ahead of Alonso by 0.458 sec.

PPS. I’ve been an F1 history buff since I was a kid… so even though I’m 26, Ronnie Petersen’s JPS Lotus 72 was part of my childhood! My father had a large scale model of it, and I’d imagine Ronnie on/over the limit with those huge rear slicks leaving giant black marks around every corner. Others were Gilles’ Ferrari and Mansell’s FW14 (the last year of the awesome wide tires… and it helped that I had a 1/43 scale model of it to gingerly play with!).

103.   103. Posted By: Fred
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

I predict a close one with Webber edging it by 0.05 seconds.

104.   104. Posted By: Marco Cot
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

I guess Webber leading Alonso by 0.348s

105.   105. Posted By: Aaron
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Webber to beat Alonso by 0.326 seconds

106.   106. Posted By: Zack
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Alonso ahead of Webber by 0.33s.
    Judging that Alonso was ahead of Webber by quite a margin in Singapore (about 1/2s I think), and that Abu Dhabi is similar and won’t suit Webber.

107.   107. Posted By: Declan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.196.

108.   108. Posted By: cjf
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

Hi James,

Having watched the behaviour of the back markers after the restart last week it occured to me that Vettel moving over may not be the only team play occuring this weekend, do you think it’s possible that Torra Rosso may help/impede the Redbulls’/Alonso respectivly if they find themselves lapped?

I recall Peter Sauber (with his Ferrari engines)telling how he was pressured by Jean Todd to employ similar tactics in the past.

On a differant subject, what do you make of McLarens decision not to have it’s race drivers present at the Pirelli test next week (even though Button wanted to attend), seems crazy to me.

109.   109. Posted By: John Page
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

Weber ahead by 0.377 seconds.

110.   110. Posted By: Mario

Alonso by 0.300 seconds.

114.   114. Posted By: JF
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

Alondo Faster by 0.169

115.   115. Posted By: Pierre
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Alonso faster by 0,154 s.

116.   116. Posted By: Chris
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

Hi James, Alonso faster 0,2 s.

117.   117. Posted By: Peter
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

Webber 0.327 seconds in front of Alonso

118.   118. Posted By: Jackel
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

I think it is funny that most seem to count Vettel out of the championship all together and suggest that the only role he has to play in Abu Dhabi will be to either spoil Webber’s Championship or hand it to him.

If Vettel wins and Alonso DNFs, Seb wins the title. Even if Webber finishes 2nd they will be level in points. The decider would be that Seb will have 5 wins and Webbo 4. Vettel is going to Yas Marina to win his own Championship and the way he has driven the past three GPs I wouldn’t put it past him to pull it off.

119.   119. Posted By: JoyDenham
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

webber faster by 0.127 secs
    i reckon he’ll get pole too!!

JoyDenham Reply:

meant to say 0.0127

SuperOsnola Reply:

That’s not possible, it must be 0.012 or 0.013

JoyDenham Reply:

0.013

120.   120. Posted By: Danny
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

Webber beats Alonso by 0.311 seconds

121.   121. Posted By: nda
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

Webber to be ahead by 0.126

122.   122. Posted By: David S
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

Both will fail to get into Q3, take each other out in the fight through the field and Vettel’s engine will let go in the race…leaving Hamilton and Button with a 1-2 formation finish.

On Tuesday night Lewis was 100/1 to take the title so i’m fully expecting to pickup £1010 in winnings on Monday morning!!!

Win or bust is an ideal scenario for him…all the others will be second guessing each other.

Bring it on….

123.   123. Posted By: Luke
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

Hi James, great article as usual. Have you heard about David Hunt’s comments on the Lotus name fiasco he made today? The long and short of it is he’s certain in his mind Group Lotus have no right to stop Fernandes using Team Lotus, and Fernandes reassured Hunt a few days ago he is still pushing to use Team Lotus next year.

Full article on Crash.net: http://tinyurl.com/2upcepy

Anyway, back to your article: I’m going to predict Alonso ahead of Webber by 0.250 seconds.

124.   124. Posted By: Simon Lord
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

‘For anyone 35 or over this is the car of their childhood.’

I’m over 35 and the Lotus cars of my childhood were definitely green and yellow, not black and gold. To see those cars and colours again in profusion this year at Hampton Downs and the Goodwood Revival was a wonderful experience. Tony Fernandes is to be congratulated for bringing the green and yellow back to the F1 grid, but it looks as though he has either lost the Lotus battle or used it as a negotiating tool for some other purpose.

Yes, the black with gold pinstripes was a great livery, but it was very controversial at the time because of the accompanying name change of the cars from Lotus to the American-sounding John Player Special and the launch of the cigarette brand bearing that same name. It made the former Lotus 72 look marvellous, but that was as much a reaction to the appalling Gold Leaf Team Lotus red/gold/white mess as anything. It also popularised the pinstriping craze, which was definitely a mixed blessing.

If the new black/gold livery does the same, invest in masking tape manufacturers now – and look out for whiplash aerials as the next big thing!

125.   125. Posted By: Luke Potter
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

Webber faster by 0.791.

126.   126. Posted By: Bene
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.139s.

127.   127. Posted By: Federico
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

Webber out in Q2.

128.   128. Posted By: ronmon
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

Webber ahead of Alonso by 0.239s

129.   129. Posted By: Richard T
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.213 secs

130.   130. Posted By: Divesh
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

Everyone thinks Seb’s pole is a foregone conclusion, I predict Mark takes pole and Alonso takes 3rd, with Vettel splitting the two.

I think Webber will be ahead by 0.310. Alonso will be ahead in the first corner though.

131.   131. Posted By: Flintster
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

Alonso faster by 0.126 seconds – and on to take the title…

132.   132. Posted By: R Martin
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

Alonso in front by 0.058 seconds

133.   133. Posted By: Annabelle Ng
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

webber beats alonso by 0.184 :)

134.   134. Posted By: veeru
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.167 sec. By the way he will be faster than vettel too

135.   135. Posted By: Nick
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.02s. Fingers crossed for a Webber win!

SuperOsnola Reply:

With Fernando 2nd, of course.

136.   136. Posted By: Jason Good
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Webber ahead by 0.434 secs.

137.   137. Posted By: RedstormF1
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Alonso over Webber by .3

Maranello to celebrate under the lights!

138.   138. Posted By: Mark S
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

Alonso will be faster than Webber by 0.369 seconds!

139.   139. Posted By: JFan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

Webber beats Alonso by 0.35 seconds and will be on pole!

140.   140. Posted By: Graham
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.501s.

141.   141. Posted By: Rafael L
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

I’ll say that alonso will outqualify webber by 0.2 seconds

142.   142. Posted By: Greg
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Your blog is a daily ritual with my morning coffee!

Webber by 0.207s

143.   143. Posted By: Euan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

Alonso faster by 0.124 seconds

144.   144. Posted By: Chris
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Alonso faster by 0.146 of a second

[Reply]

145.   145. Posted By: CJ the 2cnd, probably...
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

Webber faster by 0.391sec. Great site!!

146.   146. Posted By: Dave W

Webber in front of Alonso by 0.315 sec

150.   150. Posted By: PaulL
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

0.038 Alonso

151.   151. Posted By: mad marz
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

Webber by 0.34 sec. Hope he get’s the title 2.
    Just a thought. If vettel does let webber through to take the title Webber may have Massa to thank as well as Vettel because if it wasn’t for the Germany swop Vettel would of got the driver champ with the predicted 1,2,3 everyone expects

152.   152. Posted By: Chris Parr
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

Alonso faster by 0.087 seconds.

153.   153. Posted By: Steve W
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

Alonso on pole………

He will be crowned the WDC on Sunday,for the third time……..

Must get back to the tea leaves,the answer surely lies within??

154.   154. Posted By: Tankrocker
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

Fernando will be faster than Mark by .193 secs
    he will also have pole position.

155.   155. Posted By: Jeff Culshaw
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

Alonso will be 0.193 seconds faster

156.   156. Posted By: GektorS
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.072

157.   157. Posted By: Anil
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

Webber to be faster by 0.350 seconds.

158.   158. Posted By: Jay
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

Webber on front by .297 secs

159.   159. Posted By: Paulo Miranda
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

Webber faster by 0.138 secs.

160.   160. Posted By: Phil Bishop
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

I fly from London to Abu Dhabi in the morning and can not wait for this show down. Webber will out qualify Alonso by 0.080.

Cheers, Phil

161.   161. Posted By: AndrewB94
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

Webber over Alonso by 0.465 and to win the world title

Go Webber

162.   162. Posted By: Richard Craig
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

Webber faster by 0.177

163.   163. Posted By: RobD
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

WEB faster than ALO by 0.198

164.   164. Posted By: Axu
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

Alonso faster by 0.013 seconds.

165.   165. Posted By: Josias
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

Webber will be faster by 0.186 secs

166.   166. Posted By: Brendan
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Webber by 0.12 seconds

167.   167. Posted By: Dave Pilgrim
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

I’m going for a dominating Red Bull…. Webber fastest by 0.694 secs

168.   168. Posted By: Iain Towler
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 9:50 pm

Alonso faster by 0.03 seconds.

169.   169. Posted By: gavin cameron

Webber by 0.082

174.   174. Posted By: raztek
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

Webber ahead of Alonso by 0.341 secs

175.   175. Posted By: Kyle
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

Alonso to beat Webber by a margin of 0.082 seconds. (Webber will outdrag him off the line though to make it a Red Bull 1-2 into turn 1.)

176.   176. Posted By: Mike Smith

Webber faster by 0.185s.

180.   180. Posted By: Jonathan L
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Webber by 1.010 seconds.

181.   181. Posted By: Mark
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Alonso will be faster by 0,183 seconds.

182.   182. Posted By: DB
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:29 pm

Webber over Alonso by 0.210

183.   183. Posted By: Henri
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

Webber faster by 0.163 seconds

184.   184. Posted By: David Perel
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

Webber quicker by 0.115s

Thanks for an awesome site James. This is definitely my first ‘go-to’ place for opinions on news and results. It is absolutely brilliant.

185.   185. Posted By: phul

Webber to beat Alonso by 0.099sec

189.   189. Posted By: Hugh
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.192

190.   190. Posted By: Timo
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

Webber beats Alonso by 0.243 seconds!

191.   191. Posted By: captainj84
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

vettel by 0.05 seconds

192.   192. Posted By: JohnM
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:17 pm

Webber faster by 0.385sec

JohnM Reply:

Bugger! Steve N already has 0.385

If James will forgive my misteak I’ll suggest Webber by 0.365 sec instead

193.   193. Posted By: Snowy
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

Webber faster by 0.187sec

And imagine if Vettel lets Webber through on the last lap only for Alonso to have a problem a couple of corners later resulting in him evntually finishing 5th or lower……….

194.   194. Posted By: Peter
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:26 pm

Webber 0.327 seconds in front of Alonso.
    However I don’t think Lewis is going to give up without a fight.

195.   195. Posted By: paul Charlton
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Webber by .75

196.   196. Posted By: Malcolm46
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:28 pm

Webber in front by 0.146 sec

197.   197. Posted By: Jil
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:28 pm

Alonso faster by 0.097

198.   198. Posted By: Skybert
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:29 pm

Webber faster by 0.231

199.   199. Posted By: DJ
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:30 pm

Webber 0.165 faster than Alonso in qualy.

200.   200. Posted By: NIck Cappa
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

Webber faster in quali by 0.352 seconds

201.   201. Posted By: BC
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

Webber ahead of Alnso by 0.15 s

202.   202. Posted By: Ed
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

Webber ahead by 0.055

203.   203. Posted By: Steven R
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:44 pm

Webber by .286

204.   204. Posted By: Ry
        Date: November 11th, 2010 @ 11:47 pm

Surely the black and gold paint scheme flies in the face of the naming issue rumours – doesn’t it?

205.   205. Posted By: Pentaganist

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.318 seconds

209.   209. Posted By: Joel Morrison
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:11 am

Webber quicker by 0.213

210.   210. Posted By: Gavin28
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:13 am

I predict Webber is faster than Alonso by 0.028 seconds.

211.   211. Posted By: Andrew Tierney

214.   214. Posted By: Cigala
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:33 am

Alonso, faster by .110

215.   215. Posted By: Jonty Winship
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:34 am

Come on Mark!

I’ll go for 0.298 seconds Mark will qualify ahead of Fernando.

216.   216. Posted By: Fernando III
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:36 am

Fernando ahead by .158

217.   217. Posted By: Carlos Del Valle
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:39 am

Webber in front by .101

218.   218. Posted By: Mark
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:42 am

Webber faster by 0.310

219.   219. Posted By: Cigala
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:43 am

Alonso, by .110

220.   220. Posted By: William Churchill
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:46 am

Weber by 0.14 seconds over Alonso.

fingers crossed!

[Reply]

221.   221. Posted By: Andrew C.
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:49 am

Webber will beat Alonso by 0.159

228.   228. Posted By: Steve Carney
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:07 am

Alonso quicker by 0.005

229.   229. Posted By: Casey
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:08 am

Webber faster by .236 second.

Casey Reply:

oops, just scrolled thru and see .236 already picked. Make mine .237 then if that’s ok. Thks.

230.   230. Posted By: Mark V
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:08 am

Webber by .183

If Webber wins the title, later that night Alonso will beat Webber’s blood alcohol content by the same margin. (That is if they are even allowed to drink in Abu Dhabi).

231.   231. Posted By: Simon Haynes
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:09 am

“Lopez’ favourite toy as a child was his JPS Lotus and that it gave him a life long love of the brand.”

I still have a JPS Lotus toy car. Not the same one I had as a 6-year-old, but identical none the less.

232.   232. Posted By: Darren
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:25 am

think you may be wrong james on the “team Lotus” naming issues Tony said on twitter we will be Lotus next year ;-)

unless you have a insider at Lotus cars. ??

233.   233. Posted By: Darren
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:26 am

Webber’s car will have a problem when he is in first place around lap 22, handing the towel to his sulky team mate

234.   234. Posted By: John
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:27 am

Alonso by .13

235.   235. Posted By: Alexbookoo
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:32 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.253 seconds.

236.   236. Posted By: Vader
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:44 am

Alonso by 0.101 second over Webber.

237.   237. Posted By: alnso1st
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:01 am

Alonso ahead by 0.307

238.   238. Posted By: DK
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:01 am

Webber ahead by 0.216 second.

I think Lewis is the main factor to Alonso title bid on Sunday.

239.   239. Posted By: Chau
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:03 am

Webber to be on pole and outqualify Alonson by 0.243 sec.

Thanks for the excellent coverage this year James.

240.   240. Posted By: John O' Reilly
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:05 am

I think Webber will be faster by 0.304

241.   241. Posted By: gardenia
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:07 am

Webber will be quicker than FA by 0.19 seconds

242.   242. Posted By: Jamie Cottage
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:13 am

Webber ahead of Alonso by 0.103 of a second.

243.   243. Posted By: Ben
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:50 am

Webber over Alonso by 0.129

244.   244. Posted By: spongbo
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:53 am

Webber by .161

245.   245. Posted By: Seth Williams
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:57 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.712 seconds.

246.   246. Posted By: GP
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:59 am

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.099 sec.

247.   247. Posted By: Buck61
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:12 am

Alonso by 0.082

248.   248. Posted By: Mark Taylor
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:12 am

Alonso is faster by 0.071 seconds.

249.   249. Posted By: JohnBt
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:16 am

Am a bit crossed this year supporting Webber and Alonso.
    But on hindsight if either wins I’ll be happy.

Final race will be a cracker FOR SURE!

250.   250. Posted By: Rob Pullar
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.217 secs.

251.   251. Posted By: allan walsh
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:18 am

Webber in front of Alonso by 0.162

252.   252. Posted By: Kishan
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:23 am

Webber by 0.256 sec

253.   253. Posted By: James
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:37 am

Webber slower by 1.4 seconds

254.   254. Posted By: Scott
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:48 am

Alonso faster by 0.111 seconds.

255.   255. Posted By: Adelaideans
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Webber by 0.333.
    Love this site, love this season. Thanks!

256.   256. Posted By: plushpile
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 3:58 am

Webber, 0.183 faster

257.   257. Posted By: Regis
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 4:09 am

What a nice gesture to give away a signed copy. Thank you.

Alonso will be in front of Mark by 0.056

258.   258. Posted By: Jimmy P
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 4:19 am

I predict that Webber will qualify 0.186 seconds faster than alonso

259.   259. Posted By: Alex of Sydney
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Vettel on Pole with a brilliant drive, Webber 2nd, Alonso 3rd by .178. Alonso and Webber tangle into first corner, Webber damages front wing has to pit, Alonso spins and rejoins at back of field. Webber out of contention, Alonso fights his way back through field up to P5 with Schumacher in p4 with last few laps. Schumacher defends position and Alonso stays P5 with Vettel winning 2010 championship!
    Cant get a better finish than that!

260.   260. Posted By: Doug
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 5:13 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.093 seconds.

261.   261. Posted By: Omabala
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Hi James,

Miss your commentary mate.

My prediction Webber faster than Alonso by 0.213sec

262.   262. Posted By: Liam M
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Webber ahead of Alonso by 0.357 secs.

I am now 40 and as a measure of the JPS livery’s power – this was the first cigarette I ever smoked (damn the b@astards!). Have since grown up and given up (but not before smoking Marlboroughs when Aryton was in the cigarette packet McLarens!)

Oh, and GO WEBBER!!!!!

263.   263. Posted By: KerbRider
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 5:45 am

webber faster than alonso by 0.239

264.   264. Posted By: Karthick
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 5:57 am

Webber faster than alonso by .217s

265.   265. Posted By: Alonso4ever
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Alonso will be faster than Webber by 0.324 sec.

Alonso for the Win and 2010 WDC.

266.   266. Posted By: Jingjing
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Fernando faster by 0.137

I think Fernando will qualify Second and race Second,finally take the 3rd WDC title.

267.   267. Posted By: Atanu Biswas
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 6:32 am

Alonso will lead Webber by .324 Sec

268.   268. Posted By: Satish
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 6:38 am

Alonso will beat Webber by 0.145 seconds in quali.

269.   269. Posted By: Padeepa Manoj
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:04 am

James, everyone is talking about Vettel having to move over for Webber (which is relatively straightforward – of course he will do the right thing). But one scenario which is entirely possible but not talked about is if Webber is running first, followed by Alonso and then Vettel. Would he really have the desire to chase and pass Alonso? What are your thoughts?

James Allen Reply:

Unlikely

Paul D Reply:

Similar scenario to Suzuka 99. Schumi was in P2 and had the pace to challenge Hakkinen for the lead. However a Schumacher win would have handed Irvine the title, so his pace was very ‘controlled’ :)

270.   270. Posted By: Brett
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Hi James,

My tip is for Mark by 0.036, however I fear that he whilst Mark might win the battle, he’ll otherwise lose the war.

The atmosphere James in Australia among the Formula 1 faithful is fantastic; with midnight broadcasts on Big Screens Sunday evening (for example at Fed Square in Melbourne). It has been soooo long since AJ won, and longer still to when Jack won his three before that.

In addition to hoping for Mark to win; I just hope that Mark get’s the public recognition for his efforts here (not like Jack who seems to be often a forgotten hero alongside other Aus sporting greats of that generation), and that if he loses the Aus media don’t jeer him for choking or not driving to our (extremely high) expectations.

Thanks for your coverage. Its been great.

271.   271. Posted By: unoc
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Since asdsaall the probable numbers seem taken.

Webber by an immeasurable amount of time after alonso doesn’t participate in quali due to car problems

272.   272. Posted By: JimmiC
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Probably a slightly cagey and conservative Alonso for this weekend, aiming to get just enough rather than to win the race. Playing the percentages I think it is called.

Webber to outqualify Alonso by 0.459 seconds.

273.   273. Posted By: Abel Karaj
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:26 am

Webber fastest 0.229 s.

274.   274. Posted By: Sarvar
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Mark faster by 0.132 seconds

275.   275. Posted By: Baktru
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Alonso before Webber by 0.143 seconds.

276.   276. Posted By: yer
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 8:25 am

webber will be faster then alonso by 0.500 sec.

277.   277. Posted By: Baktru
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 8:25 am

As we’re predicting, race prediction…

Qualifications see Vettel – Alonso – Webber on the grid. Kobayashi crashes out on his first fast lap of Q1 in an attempt to avoid hitting an oddly behaving Senna, and starts last.

In the race, Vettel takes the lead from pole. Rosberg somehow realizes a superb start and is in second, followed by Webber and Alonso.
    Kobayashi starts storming up the field.

Shortly before the pitstops, Webber and Alonso hit each other in the hairpin before the long straight, damaging the front wing of the Ferrari and a rear tire on the Red Bull. Both drop back and pit for new tires (and a front wing for Alonso) right away. As Webber lost more time driving half a lap on a flat, he emerges way behind Alonso who reenters around 8th.

At the head of the field, Rosberg gets past Hamilton in the pitstops to take second, noone is even near Vettel. Alonso fights his way back from 8 and clinches 4th in the last lap by overtaking Kubica on the long straight. Webber gets stuck in 11th behind Kobayashi.

Race Result:
    1) Vettel
    2) Rosberg
    3) Hamilton
    4) Alonso
    5) Kubica

Alonso wins the WDC. I win a hangover Monday morning.

278.   278. Posted By: gil dogon
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Well, Lets go for Webber, by 0.127 ….

279.   279. Posted By: Chris

Webber by.86 seconds.

283.   283. Posted By: Andy C
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Webber faster by 0.265

284.   284. Posted By: Mark Robinson
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Alonso in front by 0.056s :)

285.   285. Posted By: michael grievson
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:05 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.213 seconds

286.   286. Posted By: mawchi
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:18 am

Alonso faster by 0,096 seconds

287.   287. Posted By: Adrian
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:25 am

I’ll go for a the anomaly of a deadheat in qualifying for Webber and Alonso, followed by race gremlins, Vettel for the win and WDC.

288.   288. Posted By: Ashok
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Alonso faster than webber by 0.182 secs ;-)

289.   289. Posted By: Richard D
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Webber ahead by 0.211. Can’t wait!

290.   290. Posted By: Estophile
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.273s.

291.   291. Posted By: Jo Torrent
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:44 am

It’s raining in Abu Dhabi incredible ! Webber is going to have a heart attack.

292.   292. Posted By: Jimchik
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:47 am

Alonso on pole by .047

293.   293. Posted By: Attakorn Saiyasombat
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:57 am

I predict Alonso will be faster by .115 seconds.

294.   294. Posted By: Iain Carter
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 9:58 am

Webber ahead of Alsono. Margin 0.301

295.   295. Posted By: Derek Lorimer
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:09 am

Webber by 0.39 seconds. May as well be confident

296.   296. Posted By: Jenny
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’m going to predict Webber faster than Alonso in quali by 0.27s. Alonso to take the title “for sure”.

297.   297. Posted By: David Newsome
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:25 am

James, what chance of you writing an Alonso book in the years to come? You’ve done Schumacher. Now do the best!

298.   298. Posted By: Sibu Kolwapi
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:30 am

webber faster by 0.065

299.   299. Posted By: Brett
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:43 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.132

300.   300. Posted By: Nazdakka
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Webber by 0.047s

301.   301. Posted By: David Maesschalck from Belgium
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:55 am

Hello James and race fans,

First of all James, I ordered your new book through your website and I’m very much looking forward to receiving the copy next month. I enjoyed the copy of last year, as your blog I was thrilled and very happy with the signed copy, so I will be with this years edition, Christmas will be coming eralier this year !!

Concerning the prediction of the season’s final qualifying session I’ve got the feeling that Red Bull will be aiming at the next 1-2 grid positions. Just to make shure they keep their championship hopes alive. Looking back on all the qualifying session this yaer and seeing Red Bull cars often dominating qualifying this year with complete front row positions I’m sure they will do everything in their power to do it again. They’ve become Constructors Champions for a deserved reason, they knew that qualifying is very crucial these days (Jenson Button admitted that it is and that he failed to qualify well this season).
    Concerning Fernando Alonso he will make sure that he qualifies near the front but he will not push it over the edge to reach the front row. He knows that his strength lies within the race itself, he knows that tyres will play an important role as also the engine. He will save it as much as he can in qualifying to use it at its maximum during the race.

My prediction will be 0.539 seconds difference between Webber & Alonso. A difference that has often shown during qualifying between Red Bull and the competition.

Alonso just needs to stay very close to webber during the race and try to push him as much has he can and force him to use the full track width and as a result the curbstones and a higher usage of the tires. I’m quite sure that Alonso will get Webber during the race. Vettel may win as he’s not interested in him. Webber on his behlaf will be the man under pressure and if he’s feeling it to much he might wanna see Alonso take the dirt side of the track and might see some dirt himself pushing over the bounderies. The only thing I’m hoping for is that Alonso won’t get trapped and get hit by Webber in an attempt to get by the Australian.
    Give or take it will be another exciting season’s finale and may the best win the title as they all showed they are top notch drivers and every one of them deserves to be crowned champion.
    Although I admired a quote of Alonso in Hungary making a statement that he will be be crowned champion this year, and at that stage of the season noone belived in it as Ferrari wasn’t at its best yet. But looking at it now, he’s there with a very strong chance of keeping his promise. He knows how to win a title as he’s done it twice before ! Something Webber and Vettel still have to achieve and experience.
    Anyway I will be watching the race with alot of anxiety and interest and I’ll be very curiuos to what Red Bull will be doing, teamorders or not, Vettel being a fairplayer and teamplayer or a one man on the move with a target kind of driver and man. Seeing Christian Horner often shking his leg and the pitwall during the closing stages of the race, I wonder what it will be this weekend, will he cramp it or become completely crazy shaking over his whole body ? Let’s see and whitness something incredible but we’ll all end the season with a peacefull feeling and happy to have seen a stunning race and a very exciting season. 2010 had it all !

Anyway James have a great weekend there in Abu Dhabi, have nice flight back home and enjoy the finale. Thank you for your time reading this and for presenting us another fantastic book and insight into this fascinating sport.

Very Kind Regards,

David Maesschalck from Belgium

302.   302. Posted By: lecho
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:57 am

Webber by 0.183

303.   303. Posted By: mattd
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Webber by 0.332

304.   304. Posted By: Rika Nishidate
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 11:27 am

Weber will be 0.24 seconds faster than Alonso….

I hope!

305.   305. Posted By: Ali of Lebanon
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 11:31 am

Everyone thinks Alonso is a cool customer. Remember the beginning of the year when the pressure was on Alonso to prove his massive pay packet compared to Massa? He was spluttering off the line, bogging down off the start line and making mistakes like crashing at Monaco.

He will be under immense pressure again this weekend, as he is hot favourite, and it will be an Alonso mistake that hands the title to Vettel!

SuperOsnola Reply:

Fernando alonso has always been a very, very cool driver. I remember Vettel making some mistake in Singapore and Webber in Corea, that are much closer than China or Australia. Fernando is the last driver that I espect to make a mistake this weekend.

306.   306. Posted By: Rahul
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 11:47 am

Webber faster by 0.368s

307.   307. Posted By: sammy
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Webber by 0.347

308.   308. Posted By: type056
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.290

309.   309. Posted By: David Turnedge
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

Ha! There’s now way Alonso will be faster than Webber or Vettel.

It’ll be Vettel ahead of Webber 0.1 and Webber ahead of Alonso 0.4

Hmm, Alonso faster by 0.123

318.   318. Posted By: David Smith
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

Webber by 0.050s

319.   319. Posted By: SuperOsnola
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

Fernando Alonso faster than Webber by 0.123 seconds.

320.   320. Posted By: Baart
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Alonso fastest by 0.168s

321.   321. Posted By: Riccardo
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Let’s try this! I predict Webber will be faster with a 0.045 margin overdose Alonso.
    Cheers James!

322.   322. Posted By: Neil murg
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Webber faster by 0.083 seconds from Alonso

323.   323. Posted By: john g
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

alonso faster than webber, by 0.106 seconds :)

324.   324. Posted By: Mark
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Alonso ahead by 0.056 seconds.

325.   325. Posted By: steakbearnaise
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

Webber fastger than Alonso by 0.244

326.   326. Posted By: Pete Doughty
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

Webber to be faster than Alonso by 0.235s

Pete Doughty Reply:

Changed to 0.237, Webber faster than Alonso – as someone beat me to it!

327.   327. Posted By: isaac5

Webber by 0.565

330.   330. Posted By: Carl Sheen
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Webber over Alonso by 0.163s

331.   331. Posted By: Phil Ross
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.194 seconds.

332.   332. Posted By: Jon

337.   337. Posted By: MARK
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

Webber ahead by 0.459

338.   338. Posted By: bg
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Alonso faster by 0.257

Hopefully he will add his third ace to his helmet!!

339.   339. Posted By: LMW
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.172 seconds.

340.   340. Posted By: Matthew

Alonso by 0.058

348.   348. Posted By: george
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

Alonso by 3/10th

349.   349. Posted By: Dave
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

I’m interested in what you say about Michael and Mercedes. Both Michael and Nico have done well since updates were put on hold. I wonder if the constant updates sometimes have a destabalizing effect on drivers. I know it’s part of the game these days, but looking at McLaren this year it appears that they have struggled a bit due when these updates don’t have the benefit they should. I understand that the technical advances are what makes F1 what it is, but I would like to see the drivers given the opportunity to get used to their car and work around it before changes are made. The Mercedes situation suggests that time can be made up without all this tinkering!

350.   350. Posted By: Alex`
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

Alonso faster for 0.252 s

351.   351. Posted By: Darren
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

since I have already ordered your book Il throw a curveball….

Dead Heat, Alonso by virtue of having set his time first

352.   352. Posted By: Tifosi UK
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

Webber fastest by 0.172

353.   353. Posted By: Mark Tong
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 7:38 pm

Great website James. Missing your commentary on telly – the beeb need to get rid of Mr Legard!

I’m getting that annual depressed feeling when the season is coming to an end!

Webber quicker than Alonso by 0.147 seconds.

354.   354. Posted By: moggi
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

Alonso faster than Webber by 0.02 seconds.

GO NANDO GO !!

355.   355. Posted By: sebsronnie
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Webber faster by 0.198 seconds!

356.   356. Posted By: Edd
        Date: November 12th, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

Webber ahead of Alonso by .354s.

357.   357. Posted By: andrew
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 1:27 am

Webber faster by 0.015

358.   358. Posted By: Mark
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 3:28 am

Webber is faster by 0,117 seconds.

359.   359. Posted By: Ayron
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Webber by 0.381 over Alonso with Hamilton inbetween and Vettel 0.008 ahead of Webber…

360.   360. Posted By: Low
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 4:39 am

Webber quicker by 0.055 seconds

361.   361. Posted By: Bob Noxious
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 4:59 am

I think Alonso will Edge out Webber by .080 secs and the pole will be won by Hamilton, Vettel in second then Alonzo and Webber.

I love having you on TSN, cheers mate

362.   362. Posted By: Legend2
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 5:06 am

Webber quicker by 0.241 seconds.

363.   363. Posted By: Zhenya
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 5:22 am

Webber faster than Alonso by 0.184 sec. What a fantastic season!

364.   364. Posted By: Raja Sen
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Webber ahead by .346

But that’s only if Alonso makes it to third place. My spidersense says there is a chance he qualifies outside the top 5 today.

[Reply]

365.   365. Posted By: Steve G.
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 5:53 am

Webber by 0.238…

366.   366. Posted By: Mile
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 6:47 am

I would say les than a tenth Alonso, let say Alonso faster by 0.092

367.   367. Posted By: Joel
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Webber by 0.120 seconds.

368.   368. Posted By: Darren S
        Date: November 13th, 2010 @ 9:55 am

Excited about tonight. Hoping no one blows a rear tyre tomorrow.

Webber by 0.277 over Alonso.

369.   369. Posted By: kerek