F1 World Champion 2014
Lewis Hamilton
What it takes to be an F1 driver Pt 3: Behind the wheel with Alesi and Herbert
What it takes to be an F1 driver Pt 3: Behind the wheel with Alesi and Herbert
Posted By: James Allen  |  07 Oct 2010   |  6:26 pm GMT  |  18 comments

Last week a group of media and fans gathered at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit to take part in a unique two day programme aimed at showing what it takes to be an F1 driver.

The programme consisted of mental and physical tests as well as a series of driving events, from karts to F3000 cars and then onto the 2 seater F1 experience.

In Part 3 of the video series, the guests hit the track in the company of F1 legends Jean Alesi and Johnny Herbert in powerful Aston Martin GT cars. A few of them quickly go beyond their limits!

1. jonrob says:

Even more jealous now!

2. Gav says:

cracking vids mate.

3. Ben G says:

Marvellous film.

Talking of what it takes to be an F1 driver, I’d like to make a prediction:

Massa to be dropped for Heidfeld next year.

Qv, Felipe’s growing dissatisfaction, Montezemolo’s strange comments this week, Sauber-Ferrari ditching de la Rosa and installing Heidfeld…

It all adds up folks!

4. Paul Mc says:

Wow incredible stuff. Makes you appreciate how amazing the circuit and facilities are. Really great to see Jean Alesi, great driver v

Plus Nazan is hot :)

5. Bayan says:

Man o man. James, please take me next time. I love these videos!!! WOW – great stuff James. I’m very very very jelous and my wife is tired of hearing me talk about this.

6. Matt B says:

Wait a minute, lets get the serious question out of the way first.

The Germans get Nazan Eckes and we get Jake bleedin Humphrey???!!! Yeah, she’s probably as thick as two short planks and knows less about F1 than my grandmother, but… JEEZ!

1. MK_Chris says:

I am not happy with the latter part of this comment. It does not fit in with the ethos of James’ web site. More at home with the Planetf1.com and Crash.net contributions methinks.

1. Andy Fov says:

Well said.

To be honest my first thought was “crikey, that Nathan Eccles is more attractive than I thought he’d be”, but I wasn’t going to mention it. JAonF1 is no place for lechery and casual misogyny.

FWIW I think Jake’s a great broadcaster. He comes across as a sincerely nice guy, and his continued ability to scare seasoned racers silly is always a source of amusement.

He is exactly the same in real life. A good bloke and a natural broadcaster

3. Matt B says:

Lighten up mate, F1 fans don’t have to be so serious all the time you know.

4. jose arellano says:

oooo come one… this guy has a point the girl stands out in the video….

7. John tsoutis says:

My heart just skipped a beat, especially at the end there when we heard the Minardi 2 seated. A lot of sponsorship and promotion of the Yas Marina Circuit, is this primarily for the race or perhaps will the circuit organizers continue with such driving experiences at a corporate level? This seems to be a one off experience at this stage.

More please, I would love the DVD….

8. Liam S says:

Would very much like that Nazan lady to be hosting Australian F1 coverage.

9. Tim says:

BBC pse hire Nazan Eckes !!!!!!!

10. Mike says:

This is fabulous information – oh to be there!! Lucky people.

11. Stefanos says:

These videos are great, James. Do you have any plans to put them together as a short (TV?) documentary?

There will be a longer form documentary – 26 mins – yes

12. moschum says:

these drivers genuinely think its a good track? or are they being paid by abu dhabi to say these things?
    because its one of the most boring, flat, uncharacteristic circuits on the entire f1 calendar….