Will the Prancing Horse rise?
Monza 2014
Italian Grand Prix
Singapore GP: Who was your Driver of the Day?
Singapore GP: Who was your Driver of the Day?
Posted By: James Allen  |  26 Sep 2010   |  6:45 pm GMT  |  90 comments

We had a number of very strong performances in the field today, so it’s a tough call for driver of the day. Who’s yours?

Fernando Alonso - Took pole with a strong lap, defended robustly at the start from Vettel and pulled away at 3/10ths per lap in the opening stint. Drove a perfect race, despite intense pressure from Vettel in second phase when the Red Bull was clearly faster on the hard tyres. Has now scored three wins in five races.

Sebastian Vettel - His first podium for three races, the so called “crash kid” put in a faultless drive on Sunday, pressuring Alonso all the way. But he will be kicking himself for a tiny mistake in qualifying which handed the pole to Alonso.

Mark Webber - by his own admission Singapore is not a Webber circuit, despite his dominance of similar tracks Hungary and Monaco. Never really got into the groove of the front two, but responded well when the team gave him a challenge to try to jump the McLarens by switching strategy. Pulled it off to finish 3rd despite sever vibration following collision with Hamilton

Nico Rosberg – Another fantastic drive from Rosberg in the not terribly competitive Mercedes. Fifth place was the absolute maximum he could have achieved and he was miles faster than Schumacher all weekend. He’s now 76 points clear of his illustrious team mate

Robert Kubica - The Pole had the misfortune of a suspected puncture in the second half of the race, forcing a pit stop on lap 45 which dropped him from 6th to 13th. In the remaining 16 laps he fought back to finish 7th.

All photos: Darren Heath Darren\'s Website

1. Oliver says:

Has Lewis’ chance of the championship now gone completely, without some sort of miracle?

I cant see a driver of even his callibre beating the Red Bulls and Ferrari on the remaining tracks.

Surely Mclaren cant catch up, or do you think differently?

Many thanks

No, he’s only 20 points behind Webber and 10 behind Alonso. But he’ll need a couple of wins. I can see him winning Abu Dhabi, he was untouchable there last year, although that owed something to KERS. It will be close

1. Jaco says:

Untouchable? Were you watching the same race as the rest of us? Vettel was already ahead of him by the time he retired and he was only able to keep Vettel behind him in the early parts of the race due to KERS…

2. Ben says:

Vettel was ahead of him because Hamilton had already brake problems. Hamilton was very strong there and the f-duct will definitely help him on the long straight

2. Kev says:

I would say all the five drivers were best on the day, oops, night! Alonso drove a flawless race along with Vettel and Webber made most of his early stop to get past the McLarens.

Rosberg did a superb job on a very inferior piece of machinery. And no words to describe Kubica. He did some superb overtakes in a circuit not known for many overtaking opportunities and made the best of the situation.

Maybe I will decide on Alonso as the ‘driver of the day’ for being able to survive huge amounts of pressure of the WDC race, by getting a pole and a race win in a car which is definitely second fastest in the circuit.

A great race and kudos to all the drivers for entertaining us!

1. john says:

If you go on overtaking moves then Webber is streets ahead. Every time Jenson turned up the wick, Mark did the same so 3rd from 5th was a great result. Not many other great overtaking moves in the whole race except by Kubica.

1. BMG says:

Did you see Webbers front tyre? It had moved off the rim, to be able to bring the car home in third with a bad vibration for the last 20 laps and hold off Jenson was my drive of the day.

3. drums says:

Best driver of the day (and the weekend) has to be Alonso and second best driver, Vettel. Both performed excelling drives, one in-defense and the other in-pursuit in particular in the second stint——both were well ahead of the followers! Third came Vettel, who was benefitted from team strategy and SC. This is part of F1 and Webber was there to take full advantage of it. Kubica was the animator for TV broadcasting. And I feel that Alguersuari, the youngest driver in grid, deserves an elogy as well, not only for this race but for all his season.

4. Jaco says:

I usually hate it when everyone just votes for the winner, but today I will give it to Alonso. I don’t think there is another driver on the grid who could have kept Vettel behind him today.

1. Lockster says:

if kubica was in the Ferrari he would have, the guy is an amazing talent…

5. Jason C says:

Plenty of good drives out there today, but I must say that Alonso did it for me. Soaked up all the pressure from Vettel to take the win. Nice.

Vettel was pretty much as good as Alonso, but in the better car the race should have been his.

1. Craig says:

What pressure? Vettel didn’t make a single move on Alonso except off the start, where Alonso did to Vettel what Vettel does to everyone when he starts from pole. Vettel didn’t even get that close until the last lap. Sure, Alonso had to be mistake free, but it’s not like he was defending any overtaking attempts.

Easy win for Alonso – Vettel threw it away first in qualifying, and secondly when he followed Alonso into the pits on the same lap – possibly the most moronic move I’ve seen this season. Even if the team had told him to pit that lap, once he saw Alonso duck in in front of him, he should have made a driver decision and driven the wings off the RB6 for a lap or two – nothing to lose. But pitting on the same lap – nothing to gain. Dumb! Still has a lot to learn, imo.

1. Stevie P says:

I agree that Vettel had nothing to lose by staying out a lap or two longer than Alonso, as there was no pressure from behind… but I don’t know what was in-front of them i.e., were they both catching a train of cars, which would have compromised Vettel’s “flying laps”?

I thought it was quite a boring race. Singapore does look amazing under the lights, but it’s just a shame there’s not really anywhere to pass… unless you have an advantage (Kubica’s last few laps on fresh tyres).

I imagine Button is rueing the bung left in his car at Monaco and Vettel’s mistake in Belgium (I was pondering this morning that other than these 2 issues he’s been in the points every race – and these were both not his fault – is that correct?).

My driver of the day was Alonso – didn’t put a foot wrong; he has some serious momentum, plus his car works at low and high downforce tracks.

Jammy dodger of the day was Webber – how can you go that long, with those lap times, in a car with a tyre in that state!?!

6. Toby says:

Kubica. If Ferrari do not already have him signed for 2012, or 2011 if Massa elects to leave early, I cannot understand why.

1. Jeremiah says:

Santander just bought one of the largest Polish banks,so Kubica will be there soon.
      Cheers

7. Andy Dinalli says:

While alonso’s drive was expected, I had to go for Vettel. In recent races he has lived up to the ‘Crash Kid’ nickname. But a real flawless drive today pushing alonso all the way to the end. Today he showed why he is rated so highly. He can only improve.

1. JF says:

Vettel did very well for sure. I think Hamilton is now the current reigning crash kid! He is two for two in hitting people in the last two races.

1. Stevie P says:

Surely Webber hit Hamilton in Singapore? But for sure Hamilton messed up in Monza; he had a car to win that race or at least score heavily (to build on his victory in Belgium) and his impatience got the better of him.

2. jf says:

Disagree: Hamilton hit Webber! But yes, I think Hamilton needs to cool it a bit, he is normally one of the best at overtaking, should have passed Webber with ease.

3. iceman says:

Given that the two incidents were virtually mirror images of each other, I think Hamilton can only be blamed for one crash. Either Monza, or Singapore, or half of each, depending on how you assess the incident.

4. Stevie P says:

Do you say that “Hamilton hit Webber” jf, because you believe that Hamilton cut across Webber’s nose? See, for me, the damage on Hamilton’s car was at the rear and on Webber’s it was at the front… and I don’t believe that the cars reverse around the track :-) In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think it was a very reckless move by Mark… mind you, I think, he got nobbled last year (and had to give 2 places back) by going around the outside of that turn, so maybe he thought he could force Hamilton out wide.

5. JF says:

Yes: I would argue that Hamilton cut across Webbers nose far too early into the corner so that the back inside of the Mclaren caught the front outside of the Redbull (incredibly it didn’t break, much). The BBC commentators indicated this at the time, and thats what I saw as well in the numerous replays. Webber was in the corner as normal, braking hard, the only place he could have gone was off the track to avoid Hamilton, maybe into the wall. Hamilton came back across too early, he misjudged the pass and took himself out on Webbers car. Too bad, cause normally Hamilton does this really well, he just messed up, it happens. Thats racing as they all say. Monza was much more clear cut.

6. Stevie P says:

Ok then jf… :-)

I’m not sure “Webber was in the corner as normal” though (he was a long way from the racing line)… but I appreciate (or think) you’re saying he was (sort of) in a normal defensive position, perhaps… but hey, everyone has different opinions which is fair enough.

8. arale says:

Fireman of the race: Heikki Kovalainen

1. iceman says:

Yes definitely marshal of the day! Not that he had much competition as the local marshals didn’t seem to have much sense of urgency all weekend. I think it’s a shame that some F1 races have a lower standard of marshalling than you’d see at club races in the UK.

9. Mojo66 says:

Kubica is the driver of the day for me because he demonstrated on a couple of occasions that clean overtaking is possible on a street circuit, whereas the competition mostly crashed into each other.

1. Kubica did well but his overtaking success was largely due to the fact he had fresh tyres when those around him were on very ‘tired’ rubber.

Best way to win is to get Pole, stay at the front and then you don’t need to bother with risky overtaking. Alonso did this and even got fastest lap of the race for good measure. That’s why he is the de facto driver of the day for me.

1. kami says:

But you should notice that Sutil followed Glock by a couple of laps in much faster car and couldn’t find the way for clear overtaking so the fresh tyre advantage is not as big as it seems.

2. Patrickl says:

Kubica was helped massively by his opponents basically letting him go.

Sutil clearly held back after he was done for when Webber obviously didn’t.

3. BMG says:

Yes and he was on new tyres and some of the cars he over took were on the same tyres for over 50 laps. Still a very good drive.

4. Rich says:

He does seem to have matured a lot this year….not as much of a winjer as he was

10. Galapago555 says:

I would of course say Fernando (pole, first from lights to flag, fastest lap, back-to-back win…), but I can imagine some sarcastic comments about my well known Spanish partisanism…:-D

So my vote will be for Kubica. Stunning overtaking 6 cars no matter it was with fresh tyres. Fantastic performance.

1. Lilla My says:

So I, as a Pole, vote for Fernando – that way neither of us will look biased ;-) (apart from the fact that my pro-Alonso partiality is something I can’t really hide…).

Kubica had a great end of the race, but Alonso’s performence was I think even better. He had Vettel just behind him for the entire race. One small mistake would have cost him the victory, yet he managed to be flawless for 61 laps. And the end was so nerve-racking!

Fernando has made some mistakes this season, but now when the decisive races are on, he seems to be coming back to his old, great himself. Now looking at the whole season, I so much prefer him to have crashed in FP in Monaco or jumped the start in China, than to crash out in Monza or Singapore now that the big points are so important.
      On the other hand, it seems that Hamilton has been coming back to his old self as well (only it’s not good this time). I was so impressed with him this season and I really started to like this new – matured Lewis. But now he looks like coming back to his old habits of loosing his head at most important moments (I don’t say that Singapore was entirely his fault, but you must admit that DNF because of an accident in 2 races in a row, when the season is ending and you’re fighting for the championship is nothing good).
      Anyway – sooo happy to see Alonso and Ferrari back on form – only 11 points behind Mark and 4 races to go. I keep my fingers crossed for the rest of the season.

2. Cliff says:

You may be partisan, but it would have been churlish not to have agreed with you, had you decided to vote for Alonso. FA appears to have the wind in his sail with two wins on the bounce, he has now put himself firmly in contention!

As much as I disagree with some of his antics, there is no denying he still remains the benchmark for all the other drivers and I say that as a McLaren Fan.

11. David says:

Alonso got his maiden Grand Chelem – that alone speaks volumes. Kubica would be my second pick.

12. azac21 says:

No question about it….

Fernando, in a Ferrari, was inspirational thoughout the weekend.

13. JimmiC says:

I couldn’t put a cigarette paper between Alonso and Vettel as both drove out of their skin (I know Vettel blew qualifying yesterday, but this is the Driver of the Day award, not Driver of the Weekend.) I’m amazed that he only has 3% of the votes at the moment. I guess the ‘Crash Kid’ label is going to take some time to wear off.

Since I couldn’t split the two, I went for Kubica. I know he had fresh tyres and everything, but he still had to make the moves stick against some jittery rookies and he almost regained the positions he’d lost in the pit stops. I agree with Martin – he needs a top three car under him and then he will just disappear.

Poor Schuey. I think he deserved a wooden spoon award today. That Mercedes is better built than their road cars!

14. JimmiC says:

Incidentally, I’d be interested at the end of the season to see a table of the winners of Driver of the Day, but also a table cataloging the number of nominations. I don’t know who’d win the former, but I’m certain Rosberg would win the latter as he is always in the list every race.

15. Seb says:

Kubica. From 13th to 7th on a tough street circuit in some nine laps is spectacular. Sure, he had fresh tyres but it was nevertheless incredibly difficult to accomplish. He even took Sutil on the outside. Clearly, Alonso and Kubica are the finest drivers out there.

16. Kenny says:

It was always suspected that Ferrari (and Alonso) might actually do reasonably well at the Singapore track given their performances at Monaco and Hungary, but Alonso certainly in my personal opinion stepped up to take pole and lead all the way to the finish. In the past couple of races we’re seeing the more typical (dare I say it) “flawless” and complete Alonso that we have come to know. Looks like some talks have been happening behind the scenes to calm things down a bit and the results are surely helping that too.
    Vettel may have been rueing that start when he backed off a touch, but in hindsight I think that was a better thing to do. He was always guaranteed a podium place finish bar outside factors and he scored solid points to close in on Webber’s lead by 3 points.
    Button perhaps might also be regretting not being as brave as Hamilton on the brakes into the first corner, but I think that’s rather harsh on him. The track does appear to have a filtering effect and I think in Button’s mind he wanted to avoid a collision that could have taken out both him and Hamilton and thus ruining the weekend for the Mclaren team.
    Very much agreed with all the praise for Webber. Took the risk with the team to switch to the prime tyres and stuck with it and made progress back up to a podium finish.
    Rosberg had a quiet race I think or maybe I didn’t notice him for some reason! He performs well at this track and he’s bringing home the points for Mercedes and really leading it in my view. Though we may have to wait for 2011 to see if that’s true in regards to Schumacher…
    Kubica’s overtaking moves were fantastic to watch! Ok sure he had the fresh rubber, but they were clean and some of them were into turn 14 which isn’t seen as an overtaking oppurtunity as such.
    Great performances from all in the race in my view.

17. Ben says:

My “Driver of the Night” is Timo Glock. It was fun to watch him driving in 11th and fighting for position with drivers in a Williams or Ferrari. I wish him a better car, because he is a very competitive driver and a nice guy.

18. Kedar says:

Has to be Alonso for pulling off the second perfect Hat trick in 2 races. Just put in fastest laps when required and drove his socks off to keep the supposedly faster Redbull behind him

19. Benni says:

Alonso did the first Grand Chelem (pole, fastest lap and leading for every lap of the race) in over five years. In my eyes he’s undoubtedly the driver of the day. Vettel, Webber, Rosberg and Kubica also did great races, but Alonso was the best of the best today.

1. AmandaG says:

For that alone I think Alonso deserves it. Only 21 drivers have ever achieved it. No mean feat, considering the last time it was done (by Schumacher 2004) it was in the F2004, which was massively superior.

Vettel also gets thumbs up for a very controlled race. Kubica with his overtakes. Also lets not forget Glock. He managed to hold up cars that were far superior, including the same car that won the race in another drivers hands, for quite a number of laps.

20. mtb says:

Alonso, with great drives from Vettel,Rosberg and Webber.

21. **Paul** says:

Alonso…. Awesome stuff. Perhaps those who questioned me suggesting the title was well within his grasp need to re-evaluate things? Also a great drive from seb bar not having his car in first to pull away from the pits.

Saw the hamilton crash coming, webber is no pushover you’ll not drive round the outside of him, especially when he’s got it on the apex! That’s two races running I’ve called hamiltons accidents a Minute before they happened… Perhaps I’ll have to keep quiet from now on.

22. Carl Craven says:

While Alonso and Vettel did drive fine races Kubica continues to provide the entertainment and demonstrates that F1 can be exciting and that overtaking is possible. Sure he was on fresh rubber, but he pulled a considerable amount of places back in an agressive yet calculated manner.

He and Hamilton are the only two that seem to be able to do that, though Hamilton is not having too much luck of late.

Here is why Kubica will NOT go to Ferrari. He is a definite #1 driver. Ferrari usually only hire a #1 and a support act. They already have Alonso who also demands such a situation to exist. Why would Kubica go to a team to NOT win the WDC when he has the talent to do it himself.

Unless of course Alonso retires or moves on.

My vote goes to Kubica for an entertaining drive. I have said time and again, despite the pressure, it is IMO easier to race from the front when you are in the best machinery. Kubica is never likely to dominate a race in the fashion Alonso did while he is in that Renault, yet Alonso rarely gave us such demonstrations when he was in Kubica’s position.

1. danish Hanif says:

watch this move overtakes in just 1 lap in rain. enjoy

magic alo

1. Galapago555 says:

This link doesn’t work. Can you copy and paste the good one? – seems interesting ;-)

23. Blade Runner says:

Very disapointed in Lewis for the second race in a row, IMO no need to be so bold at this point in the WDC.

1. Bevan says:

I reckon Lewis was hard done by myself,Webs wasn’t even level with the Mclarens radiators much less wheel to wheel,how the stewards could rule that a race incident is beyond me,unless they had consistently ruled this way in the past,which hasn’t proved to be .Thinking back to the Nurburgring last year this will be the 2nd time that Ham has been punted off track by what I’m beginning to consider more of a stock car driver than an F1 sportsman,here’s hoping Lew can spoil his WDC aspirations,”anyway he can”!

1. Bevan says:

Oh and,Alonso’s was the drive of the day without a doubt,love him or hate em he’s the unflappable,consummate professional.”Forza Ferrari”!

2. Craig says:

The fact that Hamilton drove into Webber shows that he hadn’t completed the move. If he’d left Webber racing space he would have completed the overtake post corner. Punted off the track? He took himslef off with a move akin to some of Vettel’s.

3. **Paul** says:

I think you’re harsh on Webber. The Aussie had his car on the apex of the corner, that’ is the high ground.

Lewis might have had his McLaren a decent amount infront, but this is no different to the Vettel Webber incident in Turkey. The driver on the outside turned across the driver on the inside, you can only do that when you’re fully infront of another car.

It was a stonewall racing incident, nothing else.

4. Bernard says:

But who was on the inside? Who did everyone blame in Turkey? The hypocrisy is startling, it really is. :rolleyes:

24. Tim B says:

Can’t separate Alonso and Vettel. Both drove a flawless race, and cleared out from the rest of the field easily. Good to see the two of them looking calm and fast after both had arguably lost the plot not so many races ago.

Speaking of which, that’s the big challenge for Hamilton now – stay calm and focused after the two DNFs. He looked ropable immediately after the crash, but I hope he can put it behind him, because he’s still in the fight.

Finally, it’s off-topic, but was anyone else watching the Red Bull front wings? I noticed at Monza that they were hardly moving compared to the big deflections we discussed earlier in the season, but of course Monza is a low-downforce circuit. However, here at high-downforce Singapore the in-car footage from both Red Bulls showed hardly any deflection…

It looks as though RB did make some changes as a result of the new tests, despite Horner’s denials.

25. charlie says:

RBR showed great confidence in Webber abilities to venture such a risky strategy. And Webber delivered in spades to minimise the damage to his championship lead.

26. Wombat says:

It has to be Alonso – it was his weekend.
    But Vettel had him in his sights all weekend – so very close.
    And Webber – what a race – asked to do the impossible he did it.
    One has to ask – why were the Virgin Rabbits mixed up with the big boys in the critical restart?
    They were mobile bollards in the wrong place at the wrong time – just had end in tears or worse.
    On the Stand at Turn 17 after the race:
    Spanish supporters delirious
    Hamilton fans had very stiff upper lips
    Webber believers relieved and proud
    Vettel followers wished for more
    A great race enjoyed it all.
    On the circuit the FIA should mandate all tracks have a sharp hairpin bend (with plenty of run-off and wide entry and exit) at the end of a decent straight to allow overtaking.

1. And Webber – what a race – asked to do the impossible he did it.
      >> If by that you mean taking out Lewis, Massa too did it last week :P

27. Brian Kiloh says:

What about an honourable mention for Christian Klien? I thought he had a great quali and decent race up till retirement – surely HRT will give him another run out as he is there best chance of being in the right place at the right time to grab a flukey 12th place finish

Yes and Alguersuari, who qualified a brilliant 11th and was with Buemi in the race despite starting in the pit lane

2. Craig says:

The fact that Klien was almost a second faster than Senna the entire weekend speaks volumes. As I heard one of the commentators asking on the night, “do you think Senna has a future in F1 after this season?”

28. MikaPup says:

Alonso was magnificent.

29. SuperOsnola says:

Magic Alonso, of course. 5th hat-trick in his career, 2nd in a row and 1st Grand Cheleme in 6 years. The “most perfect” weekend I’ve ever seen. Special mention for Robert and Vettel.

30. Morris Mao says:

How could it be a tough call?

31. Ricky Chan says:

Definitely Kovy!

32. Baktru says:

Out of those five… I couldn’t actually put a vote after last race as a few of those drivers had a very good race last night.

Alonso clearly had a fantastic race. He didn’t put a wheel wrong all night long and got a deserved win. Vettel was never far away but Alonso just kept going around cleanly. Inspiring.

Vettel seemed wholly different from the past few races as well, other than the little slip-up in the pits, which didn’t make a difference anyway, Vettel did great chasing Alonso to the end, and it was amazing the last few laps how close it really was.

Kubica was having a decent race as it was, but the way he overtook quite a few opponents in the final stages was very entertaining, and no mean feat on a street circuit such as this. Sure, he was on a lot fresher tires than anyone else, but still.

Rosberg wasn’t all that visible during the race actually, but he once again beat Schumacher by an enormous margin and I do think he got a bad car to a better position than it deserved, no mean feat either.

And finally there’s Webber. Hmmm the way the people around me in the stands were mostly aussies and the local presenter on the track was kind of biased as well, made me not appreciate his drive as much as I might have otherwise. He did OK I suppose.

My vote would go split between Alonso and Kubica.

1. BMG says:

Sorry to here that, Were they being a bit naughty?

33. devilsadvocate says:

I am going to say Vettel, for nothign else that he got his act together and didn’t drive like the Vettel we have been seeing recently, he drove his heart out to make Fernando earn his win, and I actually am not of the opinion that the ferrari was a worse car on this type of track. We should all remember Alonso was comfortably controlling the weekend in Monaco earlier this year until he chucked it into the barriers in FP3 thus missing quali and starting at the back. If anything the Redbull had to do some catching up this go’round. Redbull did darn well in Alonso’s absence at Monaco but they are much more suited to track like Hungary and Turkey with tight but fast flat-out high downforce high speed corners. Suzuka and Abu Dahbi come to mind, well really the rest of the calendar.

It aint over yet though woohoo WDC2010!

34. murray says:

Alonso was sublime, and Vettel didn’t give him an opportunity to be anything less. Apart from Vettel missing the likelihood that he could’ve had pole, a flawless weekend from both.

35. JayStann says:

Personally I think that most entertainment provided Kubica with his overtaking. But crown goes to Alonso for
    A perfect race.

Kubicas future is got to be with Ferrari or Redbull with Webber.

36. I’m going for Alonso as well. The most important moment of the weekend was Saturday qualifying, he got his car on pole with a faultless lap, in a car that is still a tick behind the RBR in pure pace.

His drive on Sunday was also faultless, ruthless at the start but never put a wheel wrong anywhere.

His current form in the second half of the season reminds me of Kimi in the second half of 2007, Alonso has 3 wins out of 5 now and I can see him adding more.

We all know how Kimi’s 2007 season ended up, lets see if Nando can repeat that ;-)

37. Red5 says:

Alonso delivered a stunning drive on Saturday to set himself up for another win on Sunday. For all the raw speed Red Bull has designed into their car it didn’t get them to the top step of the podium. You would have to say that Alonso is looking stronger as each race goes by.

Kubica was a joy to watch, fighting through the mid-field at the end. There must be many teams, Ferrari included, trying to get his manager on the phone. Can Renault afford to keep him next season?

38. Robert says:

Robert Kubica is the Best!

39. dude says:

only Kubica, that was fantastic to watch!

40. sean cleary says:

Kubica all the way! He was overtaking by the minute at one stage!

41. matkai says:

In my opinion Kubica was the best one! Best overtaking maneuvers I have ever seen.

42. Steve says:

So with Sutil and Hulkenburg penalized 20 Sec., and demoted to 9th and 10th. Did anyone notice that Petrov pulled way off the racing line and slow waaay down to let both Alonso and Vettel through and not affect the potential finish. If he had been less of gentleman and let them thru one by one he would have finished 9th.

43. me says:

Kubica did great job on the track. Ofcourse – Alosno has best race. Very good was also Rosberg (yes!). He was able to beat both Schumacher and Kubica. So – hard to find very best driver. During whole race – Alonso. Second half – Kubica.
    But Rosberg did very good work – again.

44. Mark Vincent says:

Alonso, with special mentions to Kubica & Rosberg. Alonsa/Ferrari especially impressive following a win at a minimum downforce circuit with a win at a maximum downforce track. If we’re not all totally bored with the team orders saga, didn’t Petrov jump out of Kubica’s way quickly! $100,000 fine coming up?

45. Chaz says:

2011 mercedes gp drivers line up Nico Rosberg and
    Nico Hulkenburg.

46. Andrewshould be working says:

How much longer will the McLaren drivers put up with such ineptiude from their pit wall. Throughout the season both RBR and Ferari have out thought them and either failed to act in time or made a shocking call only for Martin Whitmarsh to gloss over it. In an earlier post it was well noted that it was a case of Mclarens men against the RB6 machines of Red Bull. While they had a chance in that struggle the addition of the now dominant Alonso in a competitive care with their lamentable race managment makes the skills of JB and LH ineffective. Wake up and give your drivers the support they deserve.

1. F1Maniac says:

I agree mate, the fact that they failed to cover off Webber with an earlier pitstop was ineptitude at it’s best, Brundle called it when it started happening a few laps before they actually stopped.

And they couldn’t have been worried about tyre wear surely, Webber was already on hards for most of the race.

They cost Hamilton by putting him behind Webber when he shouldn’t have been, if he didn’t have to make that move he would have finished 3rd comfortably IF they brought him in when Webber started going quicker than them.

James, you should ask them some hard questions about this, they cost Hamilton dearly here!

1. goofball says:

Quote “James you should ask them some hard questions about this, they cost hamilton dearly here!”

Well surely mclaren were aware of the situation at the time.
        Im stumped as well as i was watching hoping they wouldnt pit Ham (web fan).
        But you mclaren guys need to be asking what was Jenson doing ? His attack on Webber with old tyres and a vibrating car after the collision with ham was, well, weak, wasnt it ?

2. sir bob says:

Hamilton never had the gap to Webber to make the stop and come out ahead. He came close, but not close enough.

47. El Abuelo says:

My vote for Alonso: First Grand Chelem on years, in a car that is still a tick behind the RBR and in the most competitive season i remember.

Overtakes:
    Reading cliptheapex web, i see this year, f1 arr in numbers of 1988-1991..
    412 total overtakes up to Monza..
    Far away from 190-250 of previous years(1995-2009)but we don’t see a lot of they on Tv..
    FOM must improve this!

48. Giles Hindle says:

Am I the only person who thinks Webber was clearly to blame for hitting Hamilton? I’m increasingly frustrated with the analysis on this incident. Hamilton was on the normal racing line for that corner. He even moved to the left as he appraoched the corner. Webber’s line was clearly an overtaking line. He was never going to make the corner. On board with Webber you can see his desperation. That’s the sort of line you take in karting when the red mist falls! Rant rant!!

1. Bernard says:

You’re certainly not alone Giles, I agree for one! :)

1. Giles Hindle says:

Thank God for that; a sane individual!