Russian fightback?
Sochi 2016
Russian Grand Prix
Schumacher competition winner
Schumacher competition winner
Posted By: James Allen  |  01 Sep 2010   |  11:58 pm GMT  |  25 comments

Thanks to the many hundreds of you who entered the competition to predict where Michael Schumacher would start and finish the Belgian Grand Prix, after receiving a ten place grid drop for chopping Rubens Barrichello towards the wall in Hungary.

Photo: Russell Batchelor

Many of you correctly predicted that he would start 21st after his 10 place penalty was applied, but few imagined that he would finish as high as 7th.

It could have been quite different. He was quite quick in qualifying and lost time behind Buemi in Q2, otherwise he might have started higher. And in the race, he got a great start and was quickly up to 14th place. Although he was passed in fine style by Vitaly Petrov, he got ahead of Nico Rosberg and would have finished 6th, only Rosberg repassed him shortly before the end.

The winner who was the first to correctly predict that Schumacher would start 21st and finish 7th was Martin Vincent. He’s been informed and we will send a personalised copy of my biography of Schumacher “The Edge of Greatness” to him.

Thanks again for playing, We’ll do it again soon.

Editor's Picks

E-mail is already registered on the site. Please use the login form or enter another.

You entered an incorrect username or password

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment.

25 comments

by Oldest
by Best by Newest by Oldest

Congratulations Martin. A great book. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

It is a great book.

Agree. excellent book.

Hi James

I hadn't seen ur book in the shops so first time i've seen the cover. How did i know you were gonna pic that cover photo! Very suitable, it does rather sum up most British F1 fans view on Schumacher without words, i'll go buy a copy as soon as...

Best F1 site ever

James, could you do a piece on the flexi floor and this idea the FIA are imposing as to minimum lengths of each piece of the floor. I don't understand what that would change or rather prohibit. Many thanks

Talking about floors almost at the end of the season seems strange.

If they found something ilegall on the Red Bull this championship will lack credibility.

Thats sort of my feeling for months now regarding the RedBull car. It's not that they haven't passed all scroutanearing (i can't spell) but it's as though they put stuff on the car and wait to be told to remove it........casts some shame on their season

This is how Newey operates be puts it on the car and has to be asked to remove it. It's a bit silly but anyone can do it

I'd appreciate a piece on the flexi floors too if possible.

Kubica pushed Jenson into the wall on the opening lap at Spa. After the race Jenson said I had to lift or I was going into the wall. Kubica new he was there. So whats the difference between that and what Schumacher did to Rubens in Hungary? Other than Austria 2002 being fresh in everybodies mind after Germany and their history. Worick should not be a steward again.

Dear James,

Following is the list of the 11 people having guessed that Schumacher was to finish 7th, and Martin Vincent is not part of it ! however, amongst those eleven only 1 (209 jjpm) had correctly guessed the qualifying AND finishing position after close examination of the answers on your blog.

Unfortunately "jjpm' is not the pseudo of Martin Vincent but mine! If you have any problem with my pseudo, please let me now, the email wich is associated with my pseudo being perfectly operational. Thanks in advance .

Sportively yours

JJPM

ps if my glasses are proven to be bad, please just let me know as well...

List :

49. Critch

August 26th, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Qualify 18th

Finish 7th

55. W

August 26th, 2010 @ 10:39 am

Schumi will qualify 17th and finish 7th…

63. Kalim

August 26th, 2010 @ 11:15 am

Michael Schumacher will qualify 15th and finish 7th.

135. Darren

August 26th, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

Qualify 19th will finish 7th after a cracking drive

162. Sinnae404

August 26th, 2010 @ 10:56 pm

Qualify 20th

Finish 7th

180. Jay Nava

August 27th, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Q-18th

R-7th

191. Linda

August 27th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

‘If Red Bull does prevail, it will be the first time in 11 years that a team other than McLaren and Ferrari has won at Spa.’

…or rather the first year Kimi Raikkonen is no longer competing at Spa.

Schumacher, qualify – 18th, finish – 7th

207. Ronald Ooms

August 28th, 2010 @ 12:15 am

Schumacher will start last ( 24th) and finish in 7th place.

209. jjpm

August 28th, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Qualifying : 21

finish: 7th.

You missed me -

I predicted 7th (just because 7th was his magical qualifying in '91 Spa) 😛

Also, I predicted he would start from the pitlane (not correct), but come to think of it, these really are not the numbers we associate with Schumi now, do we?

Can't wait for next year, when we can see what he can do when the car is 'underneath' him.

There are prior answers before August 26th on the 3rd page of this blog when the competition was released at the post about the Schumacher/Barrichello incident!! Check that out...

With respect, the winner posted his answer at the beginning of August!!

I apologize for misunderstanding that the contest had already started prior to the posting where I commented.

Effectively, we where 3 to have guessed correctly the Michael's saga in Belgium and in that order :

279. Martin Vincent, 292. Neil et 209.myself (but in the last article).

So Martin, congratulation!

I hope you'll be lenient with me (and reinstate my jjpm pseudo which seems to banned now)

Cheers

It's not banned. No-one (yet) is banned.

Congrats Martin!

Hi James,

Maybe i've missed it already but is there any chance that you could do a piece on why Schumacher is struggling this year please. There's been so much different reasons being thrown around but im sure you have some good information regarding this. And about his prospects next year?

Thanks for your time.

I have seen that the F1 sponsers have formed a group called the Forumla 100, this group is supposed to reflect the whishes of the Top 100 sponsers in F1.

I feel this is a worrying development in the sport. We have FOTA, FIA, Bernie & CVC. So many stakeholders who each own have thier own agenda.

While I know there is current concorde agreement, I am sure this new group has been formed with that in mind.

Will the sport be able to hold itself together during the negotiations, will we see more of the politics which was felt during the 2009 season?

Interesting POV. I was asked to be conference moderator on the F100 yesterday and there were some interesting points raised. The organisers feel that the sponsors should have their own group, which meets and discusses the issues facing them as they contribute around £500 million to the sport each year.

I enjoyed this and think you should have a similar type contest more often... maybe before every race weekend.

Love the blog... keep up the great articles James.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks. We do it fairly often, but you are right.

congrats to the winner. James, how can i buy a copy of the book since i live in south africa and no bookstore here has it

any self respecting book shop should order it on your behalf. Just ask.

tia mate. This is africa