The One and Only
Spa 2014
Belgian Grand Prix
Who’s your favourite German F1 driver?
Who’s your favourite German F1 driver?
Posted By: James Allen  |  22 Jul 2010   |  6:30 pm GMT  |  131 comments

This weekend’s German Grand Prix will be a home Grand Prix for no fewer than six drivers, by some margin the largest contingent from any country in the 24 man F1 field. Three of them are in the top eight cars on the grid.

Eddie Irvine said at the weekend in a radio show I did with him that he thinks six – basically a quarter of the field – is too many and the quota should be reduced. He had his tongue in his cheek at the time.

The reason for the high number is of course the interest in the sport in Germany thanks to Michael Schumacher’s dominance of the sport in the 1990s and 2000s. This drew many German companies into the sport, like Deutsche Post and DHL and it got kids interested in karting, which inevitably leads to a new wave of F1 drivers. The same will happen soon in Spain.

So who do you rate among the Germans in F1 today?

Michael Schumacher
The pioneer who started the German wave in F1, Seven times world champion and 91 times a Grand Prix winner, he dominated F1 in his prime and is now on a comeback. Rather like Lance Armstrong in cycling, he didn’t come back to make up the numbers, but he is struggling to be competitive this year and is being left behind by his team mate. He said today that he is here to win another title and that is his objective for 2011. He will be hoping he gets better results before bowing out again than the great American cyclist.

Sebastian Vettel
The young pretender, just 23 years of age, many believe he is a champion in the making. Has enjoyed backing from Austrian energy drinks company Red Bull for many years. He has a lot of talent and has five poles this season, but has shown some signs of pressure in races in recent weeks, not least thanks to his team mate. Has won seven of the 53 races he has started and has been on pole for 10 of them.

Nico Rosberg
Now in his fifth season Nico is no longer a kid and is a mature Grand Prix driver. His performances this season underline this. He continues to improve and has had his strongest season so far at the wheel of the Mercedes. No win so far, but three podiums this season and generally in the top six in qualifying.

Adrian Sutil
Another German who is having an eye catching season. Sutil has a reputations as a crasher, but this year he has got his head down in a good car and has racked up 35 points to sit 10th in the championship. He is the best placed driver not driving for a top team.

Timo Glock
Driving for new team Virgin Racing is a bit of a comedown for him after racing at the sharp(er) end with Toyota, where he was fighting for podiums at times last season, but he deserves credit for getting on with it and for quietly dealing with the unreliability problems. He seems to be going quite strongly this season and has generally been faster than team mate Lucas di Grassi. He’s a very solid and reliable driver, unspectacular out of the cockpit, but a good racer, as he proved in his intense battles with Hamilton in GP2.

All photos Darren Heath

Nico Hulkenberg
Has disappointed so far this season, after coming into F1 with a strong reputation from winning the GP2 championship last season. He has outqualified Rubens Barrichello three times in 10 events, which isn’t too bad, but he’s only finished ahead of him twice and has just 2 points to his name. Needs to take advantage of the improved Williams in the next few races to secure his position as a Grand Prix driver.

1. Paul says:

Voted for “the Glock”. His pace this year has been seriously overlooked – that Virgin car has no right to be anywhere near a Lotus yet he always seems to be fighting with Heikki on track.

I would probably have Heidfeld up there too. Sutil and Rosberg are good as well.

1. Grabyrdy says:

Hear hear for all of that, especially little Nick.

2. Peter says:

It’s got to be Schumacher. Yes he may not be having a great year but we do tend to forget that it had been 3 seasons complete with vast changes since he was last in f1. For a driver who has astounded us more than all of the other drivers put together – it can only be Michael!

3. Chris Partridge says:

I voted Schumi.

I admire his guts for returning to the sport, his enthusiasm after so many have spent the year criticising him, and the fact that he’s the same age as me.

I also got into karting this year after watching a YouTube video of him karting at Lonato last year so he’s still inspiring people.

4. BillDay says:

Wolfgang von Trips

1. aziwal says:

I’d vote for him too but the poll is about the current crop.

2. Rich C says:

Me too.

5. BillDay says:

Nick Heidfeld — a points-scarfing machine who should be driving in F1 this year.

1. monktonnik says:

Totally agree that he should have been driving this year.

2. stuart fenton says:

‘points-scarfing’ perfect description

3. J. Potocki says:

Maybe not the best but most definitely he should be behind the wheel this year.
      Could you imagine the points Renault would have if he was with his old team-mate?

6. JR says:

That’s like asking, “do you still beat you wife?”

I don’t have a favourite ‘German’ driver. I don’t select my favourite drivers by the country they come from. I hope other people don’t either, otherwise we’ll all end up like football supporters.

1. LOL says:

Tell that to the British fans and commentators…………

2. Mark says:

My favorite drivers are Button and Hamilton, because they are good drivers, world champions and British. Nothing wrong with being patriotic mate.

As far as Germans, it would be Rosberg. He seems a nice guy and his dad was one one of my favorite drivers in his time.

7. KidrA says:

I voted for Timo Glock. But I must say I don’t like none of these drivers, Schumacher being the worse. I was thinking if I ever liked any German driver and I remembered 1 name: Heinz-Harald Frentzen!

8. Oliver N. says:

Gotta be Schumacher just on pure maths, but you have to say that they all seem to be showing themselves as stars of the future, except Schumacher obviously.

Interesting fact #34, probably the first great German F1 driver Wolfgang von Trips established the karting track later bought by Schumi snr. So you might say that without Von Trips we might not have had Schumacher, without him, as you say, we might not have this current crop of wunderkinds.

9. James says:

Till the beginning of this season, no question Sebastian Vettel, now I think the maturing Adrian Sutil, with some stellar performances this season (as well as in the past), with fewer mistakes. Still can’t bring myself to like Schumi – all those years of being a Maclaren fan do that to you.

10. Bippy says:

I suspect that, if this pole had been run before the Turkish GP, Vettel would have done a lot better, probably beating Schu. How things change.

1. Matt NZ says:

Was thinking the same thing. Last year I would have voted for Vettel for sure.

I was a Vettel fan-boy until the Turkey incident, but since then I have lost a lot of respect for him. Not only for the actual failed pass – 1st rule of racing:don’t take out your team mate – but particularly for his refusal to accept blame afterwards.

The Silverstone wing-gate affair is less Vettel’s fault, than the team management being idiots. But if he was the man we want our sporting hero’s to be, he would have refused the wing. Silverstone was essentially Vettel’s opportunity to show the world that Turkey was a mistake, but instead he has just cemented negative opinion.

11. Craig says:

As a long time fan of Michael I have to admit his comeback is becoming hard to watch. I know there are some reasons behind his lack of performance (things that can hopefully be changed for 2011), but that doesn’t make it any easier.

He still gets my vote though, without a shadow of doubt.

1. Lalit says:

I second this.

12. I have voted today for Nico Rosberg,yes it was his father who i first used to watch f1 for when i was younger,I know more people will still vot Michael Schumacher has the No1 German driver,he has been the one in the 1990′s but i like Jenson Button when he came into F1,so this is why i’m voting for Nico Rosberg he deserves credit since he came into Formula One he his a very capable driver just his car not quite 100% for him which is a shame he would make a good WDC he has confidence,& drives very well under tough circumstances.

13. ian says:

Rosberg seems to me to be both intelligent and personable.
    As is Vettel. Schumacher on the other hand does not have a winning personality … and his record is blemished not just by his cheating but his lack of pride – he had to have an in built advantage over his team mates.

14. Jim Hughes says:

My favourite German F1 driver?

Jochen Rindt

1. Trent says:

Austrian? I think.

2. malcolm.strachan says:

You almost got me… never knew he was born in Germany and assumed an Austrian nationality!

1. Leo says:

Jochen Rindt was born in Mainz, Germany. His parents were killed in a bombing raid and he was brought up by grandparents in Austria. He never changed his nationality but drove on an Austrian licence

3. rfs says:

But he’s Austrian!

4. Oliver N. says:

Wasn’t he Austrian?

5. Forzaminardi says:

Rindt was Austrian… calling an Austrian German is tantamount to calling Coulthard “English”!

6. Grabyrdy says:

Wasn’t he Austrian ?
      Hermann Lang !

PS Interesting how few votes there are for Junior. Three months ago surely he would have won.

15. D. says:

I like Nico better than the others, a close second is Vettel. I met Nico in Canada after the 2006 race. He is serious, doesn’t speak much, but takes the time to chat and answer questions. He is polite and seems very intelligent. He was clearly down after that race, as it was his rookie season and he had crashed out of the GP in Montreal, yet he took time for photos w/ anyone that asked. I think he is easily a top-10 driver now, perhaps top-6.

16. garza says:

A lot of Scumacher fans still!!

I am not one, (I voted for Rosberg) even if this year Sutil might be doing the best considering each car’s potential

I do have great respect for MS, more so because he was the first driver to become development engineer, race strategist and team manager at the same time, of course with the full Ferrari team’s help and commitment (including Rubinho), which resulted in his awesome performance and achievements

I do wonder if he would have been able to do so in a more competitive environment, like right now, with no car significantly faster than the others and more top level drivers in the top cars

And I also think this is the reason neither Hamilton, nor Alonso, nor Vettel, nor Kubica, or Senna and Prost in the past, will be able to do reach similar levels ever, which is great for fans, close racing instead of boring dominance

1. rfs says:

“because he was the first driver to become development engineer, race strategist and team manager at the same time”

Alain Prost would like to have a word with you.

1. J. Potocki says:

Don’t forget Dan Gurney or Bruce McLaren

17. tank says:

I’ve a sense we might see Schumacher pull something out the bag this weekend. Well I can hope, at least.

18. Racehound says:

thats an easy 1 James….Mark Webber!!!! #:)

19. onyx says:

Is Michael Schumacher,given his equipment,currently the ‘slowest’ Grand Prix driver on the grid?…discuss!

1. gil dogon says:

Well In first practice today he was only second slowest to rich boy Yamamoto propping up the time sheets. Where did the Old reimeister go ?
      BTW Sutil was the hero of the session, though my vote for the season so far went to Roseberg ….

20. mofs says:

I have to admit I like Sutil. Vettel has failed to really kick on and mature as a driver this season, whereas Sutil has ironed out his mistakes, made the top 10 shoot-out more than he really should, and yet is still quick and overtaking throughout the races.

21. Kate says:

Voted Sutil even though in terms of natural talent I think he’d be quite far down the list, but he is the only German driver I could say that I properly support.

I’m surprised that Rosberg is ahead of Vettel by a fairly decent margin, shows what Turkey and Silverstone have done to the latters popularity.

22. JimmiC says:

I like Nico and I think he’d make a great World Champion if he got the car underneath him to do it.

23. Steve Rogers says:

Surely has to be Rosberg! He is beating Schumacher consistently, something only Hakkinen has done before.

24. Jay-Dub says:

Nick Heidfeld!!!!

He was a really solid driver, and a bit of an ace in changeable conditions. If I remember correctly, at Silverstone 08, he pulled off a couple of juicy double overtakes as he moved up the field to finish 2nd. It’s a shame really that he never won a race, and although he kept Kubica honest, his reputation has always seemed somewhat subdued (rather like his personality). Shame he didn’t manage to get a drive this year…

Anyways, I voted for Sutil. He has steadily improved over recent seasons, making fewer and fewer mistakes, and picking up plenty of points now that Force India have given him a decent car.

25. Elliot says:

Our Dads had Graham Hill, our Uncles had Prost, our Brothers had Senna and I had Schumacher. The King.

1. Rich C says:

be careful what you say next – if its ‘our *grand-fathers’ had von Trips you’re gonna be sorry!

26. Jonathan says:

Heidfeld is actually my favourite, and I hope he comes back next year. It’s probably the biggest driver injustice in F1 right now that he doesn’t have a race seat.

Out of those driving this year, I would go for Sutil who seems to be on his way to becoming a complete F1 driver. I’ve also got my eye on Hulkenberg of course, but it’s way too early to draw any conclusions about him.

27. Trent says:

What about Christian Danner! He bought the earing back to F1 before Lewis Hamilton was even born!!

1. J. Potocki says:

Your digging deep, why not add Rolf Stommelen or Hans Stuck

28. Rosemeyer is my favourite German driver….

SS7

29. Lizzie says:

as you asked for favourite and not “best” of the crop mine has to be Schumacher. I like listening to him, I like endlessly arguing about him (something that you simply can’t do with loads of the younger drivers as they’re far too plastic) and I like watching him. I know it’s not his best year, and he’s not my all time favourite (Berger) but part of being a fan of someone is putting up with the tough times as well as the good ones, I should know, I support Corinthians and Sunderland football clubs, not to mention Grimsby Town!

30. Jey says:

My favorite German driver – Michael Schumacher.

So what if he hasn’t produced the results that he is very famous for,for me,as a fan boy,his very presence in the grid has been a joy to behold.

Hope he proves all the naysayer’s wrong next season.

PS:I named my son after him (Michael)

31. Sunshine on Leith says:

Hate the banner! Why does it only show Pettal when there are 6 German drivers?

32. Tom (London) says:

Wish I could vote for Quick Nick. He would suit a Williams or a Sauber or possibly a Lotus next year.

33. monktonnik says:

MSC all the way.

Surprised to see Rosberg ahead of Vettel though.

34. Owen.C says:

I’m all Rosberg.

What do you think James?

35. Anthony says:

James, it looks like you’ve put it in your order… ;)

36. Racyboy says:

Always going to be little scewed with Schuey on the list.

As a life time Ferrari fan, I can’t go past Michael, he’s just brought me so much joy(and a litte disappointment) over the years, but he has a massive experience advantage over his fellow Germans so it’s a little lop-sided.

Maybe if the question was ‘Most impressive German of the season’ then it has to be Rosberg.

1. Anthony says:

so true…….and so much joy!

37. Ross says:

All six of those drivers deserve their spot in F1, of course it should be seven with Heidfeld who most be F1’s unluckiest driver. Fingers crossed he will see him in the Renault next year racking up the points like he always does.

James – Since we have had the Lewis factor which has increased the profile of F1 in the UK and had back to back world champions from our only two drivers on the grid we should see in theory see a new batch of British drivers emerge on the scene in the next five years.

Let’s say they are as talented as our current German crop. Do you reckon they would make the grid in the numbers the Germans have? We have lost a generation of UK drivers due to a lack of teams and sponsorship money. Wilson, Davidson, Parfett, Wheldon, Lloyd and Conway all deserved a better crack at F1 than they recieved.

Fingers crossed we will see Di Resta in the Force India next year but even he had to go through the German route. What are they doing so right that we have got so wrong?

1. Martin says:

Patronage at the right time certainly helps. Lewis got it by being excellent in karts and being bold enough to ask. Jenson was rescued from financial oblivion by Frank Williams and immediately thrown in the deep end (too soon by Jenson’s hindsight, but he had few options to keep racing). Mark had help from two Australians and Norbert Haug.

Racing teams run on money, but are usually run by racers at heart as it is dumb business to be in otherwise. If you keep winning you’ll get a foot in the door. Being quick in a DTM car is no guarantee that you’ll be good in an F1 car. Sebastien Bourdais is a good example – quick in everything except the very fastest reacting cars.

In all the lower classes there are teams to be in. Lewis had a bad first season in F3 – at least in terms of expectations – and so McLaren put him in the best team and he won easily. In a different season a particular team may have the edge and the car may suit one driver more than the other (see Webber’s comments in Autosport on tyres). To a degree I think Wilson got his F3000 championship that way. He didn’t match up to Webber well at Jaguar and while he’s been okay in IRL, the top teams haven’t been chasing him.

Davidson was beaten by Sato in F3 in the same team and there was little to suggest he was the next Schumacher/Hakkinen. He was competent in F1, but is that what we want? I don’t he did enough to suggest that he would do what Webber is doing now.

Sutil is one guy that I think is lucky to be in F1. The lower grades suggest he wasn’t in Hamilton’s class. It is probably only he wet whether drives when in F1 that saved him. He has since developed into a quality F1, but is he one of the best 24 potential F1 drivers in the world right now? I doubt it. But he is in the top two thirds of the current field, which is a different thing.

38. Carl Craven says:

You can’t take away 7 titles no matter how poor your form, but right now I don’t rate Schumacher as the best German driver on the grid. He may come good again, but he may need a better car and a better contract gaining him more favour in the team.

For me it’s Sutil for outracing his car and for holding up Hamilton and Vettel with some very fair and well crafted driving.

The rest are all definitely very good, though while Vettel is definitely very fast, especially in a very fast car, he’s not made the most of it and his craft is left wanting in my opinion, maybe he needs more experience.

39. Jan says:

Rosberg continues to impress me. He is mature for his years and his race craft often proves better than his car might allow. I am absolutely delighted when he out performs his team mate. Not bad for a number two driver. ;)

Glock has shown occasional brilliance but as you say, he is solid and reliable. It must be a tremendous let down to go from Toyota to Virgin. Yet he soldiers on goes to work.

40. Baktru says:

I voted Nico for not being intimidated by getting Schum as his teammate, and then beating him cleanly as well.

Oh and, Tim O’Glock shouldn’t be in that list really being Irish and all :p

41. Jose Arellano says:

voted rosberg.. but if we could choose to i would pick glock as well

42. J. Potocki says:

As Basil from Faulty Towers said: “Just don’t mention the war”
    Even after all these years I still can’t bring myself to cheer for anything German.
    O.K. I must admit that I do drive a BMW

43. Wombat says:

Pity Bernd Rosemeyer and Wolfgang Graf Berghe (Taffy) von Trips – two of the greatest German drivers – are not on the list! I think Bernd would get my vote – 520HP with no aero drag in the Type C 16cyl 6 litre supercharged Porsche-designed Auto Union ’36/’37.

There’s a rest stop in the A6 motorway north of Hockenheim called Rosemeyer – it must be where he crashed doing a speed record attempt. I passed it yesterday

1. Wombat says:

James:
        This gives the location of the memorial
        Regards

Cheers for that

44. Ziz says:

Voted for Glock- I liked him very much in the last few years. Second one would be Nick… I also like Rosberg but he’s relatively lucky this year compared to the other two guys above.

45. hesus says:

I voted Sutil – he is ahead of his car (the same with Rosberg in my opinion). But the results are surprising at the moment (Vettel only 15%) Seems to me that Red Bull want to sell us a product we simply don’t like. It is shame for Seb as he is nice guy. I think 2 or 3 years in Torro Rosso would be better for him, but RB wanted the youngest WDC….

46. James Mc says:

Hi James,

Was surprised by the outcome of the pole this morning, (not that old Schumi would be first) but I thought Vettel would be second not tying for 3rd very nearly 4th. Do you think this is a reflection on how badly his popularity has been dented in the favouritism row?

I must admit, a year ago I quite liked the chap, he seemed quite happy go lucky with a bit of a refreshing personality, now after all that’s gone on hes really starting to grate on me. Especially when he does that number 1 thing with his finger when he gets pole or wins, and then he looks all moody like a spoilt kid when things don’t go his way.

I think if he is to overhaul his perception now Vettel needs to put in some unquestionable performances. Actually win without his team mates car parts, pull off some overtaking without bashing someone or going off the road and look after his car without driving it to destruction. End of the day if it does turn out he has been favoured he needs a big enough margin to convince the world he still could have done it off his own back otherwise he will have a tainted Championship.

But that doenst matter because Button will win…….I hope, William Hill doesnt….

I do. That’s part of why I did it, to test the water. It’s a shame for Vettel because he’s not driven this but he’s seen as the one with a sense of entitlement – something Hamilton suffered from in years 1 and 2. Now after a hard year in 2009, Hamilton is winning respect for his performances, proving that you can turn around negative impressions

1. James Mc says:

I hope Vettel can turn it round, im not sure it can be done this year though. I don’t think hes played a part in what’s gone on behind the scenes this year at Red Bull but he hasn’t helped himself with his sultry actions. But it really amazes me that Red Bull have constructed this whole situation off their own backs. The ironic thing is that’s its making (Lets admit it) what allot of people thought privately was the second driver more popular as a result.

Ive always like Mark Webber and he comes across as a great guy and certainly so did Seb last year. I know the Media plays a big part in perceptions but I do think that Red Bull has underestimated its fan base and they need to think about how they go from here. When they started out I don’t think anyone would have imagined they would have been where they are today challenging at the top, building the foundations of a historic team. I mean we did think it was just another Red Bull Marketing fad. But they need to acknowledge that as a part of their success and professionalism they need to understand that they have built up a global following which is not intrinsic to Austria, Germany and the founder. End of the Day if Dietrich Mateschitz had come out in the first instance and said this is my team and I run it how I want then we wouldn’t have an issue, more fool Webber for going there but its not what I thought the Red Bull Brand was all about or how it has been promoted.

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick from Red Bull but certainly I would love Webber to win this year, everyone loves and underdog and as the others drop out of the title fight Webbers following will only grow as a result. Button would win me more money but I think Webber deserves it and I would be happy to loose out on my winnings to see MW crowned.

2. Paul D says:

That Vettel finger thing really grates on me also.

3. Rich C says:

Vettel needs to develop a sense of “class” or perhaps sportsmanship. He needs to start showing some of that “class”, win *or lose.

47. johnp says:

2 past greats:
    Stefan Bellof – an awesome driver
    Manfred Wincklehock – hampered by some dire machinery

48. slippery tipple says:

Schumacher is a proven scumbag, Vettel is proving himself to be quite the scumbag too.
    Rosberg seems like a good guy, but he’s not quite quick enough…
    vote 1 rosberg for being decent human being.

1. Mikey says:

“Not quite quick enough”? The kid did wonders during his long apprenticeship driving an off-the-pace Williams to grid positions and finishes higher than it deserved. Now he’s repeating that astonishing performance at Mercedes, seemingly unfazed by his highly-reputed and much-fancied teammate.

The team clearly likes what they see, too – according to his press conference comment, they replaced his broken wing in Friday practice with the one off Michael’s car!

49. onyx says:

My Favourite German Driver…the ‘Mighty’ HHF!

1. HowardHughes says:

Best sideburns in F1 since Graham Hill!

1. J. Potocki says:

Good call with Graham but check out Denny Hulme 1970

50. Brandon says:

Nico ROSBERG is about as German as apple pie imo the only reason he’s “German” is so Mercedes can win the coveted “most German team” award.

1. J. Potocki says:

I agree, as a father (Keke) it would bother me that the press seem to forget
      that the driving talent comes from his side of the family and that being Finnish

51. Tom says:

Sutil. He is the best driver on the grid no question. A legend. Can’t wait to seem him in the McLaren in 2013.

52. For Sure says:

This poll its like asking who is your all time favorite pop singer and of course most people would vote Michael (Jackson).

You may appreciate the new talent but superstars like Michael Jackson or Schumacher come along once in a life time.

1. Rich C says:

Michael Jackson?? Get a grip, dude!
      There can be only one: The King.
      Elvis Lives!

1. For Sure says:

Do u actually understand the difference between pop n rock?

53. PaulL says:

Winklehock!

54. Jonathan says:

It’s not “inevitable” that we’ll see a new wave of Spanish drivers. Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen don’t seem to have produced a new wave of Finnish drivers!

There must have been other factors contributing to this blossoming of F1 in Germany. It can’t all be Michael Schumacher’s doing. A lot of people must have put in money and hard work at the grass roots level… we just don’t hear about them.

Spain is slightly larger country and F1 wasn’t new in the time of Hakkinen. Keke Rosberg started the Finnish wave….Emerson Fittipaldi the Brazilian one

1. Rich C says:

But Phil Hill started NO wave. Whats with that?

Ginther, Gurney, Andretti, Sullivan, Cheever, Donohue….

55. Formula Zero says:

Voting Schumacher is obvious because after history is record and record is history. He is more than just a German F1 champion. Senna was voted as the most popular driver over all. Schumacher missed out maybe because of the controversies as well for his sheer dominance for so long. That doesn’t mean that he is one of the greatest drivers the sport has ever seen. Statistically is the greast ever.

1. For Sure says:

I think autosport conducted the survey n most drivers voted senna a head of Schumi. I agree with most of your points but I think drivers naturally don’t like someone who beats them, who didn’t die in an accident, who break their records. If
      that survey happens 10 years later, Schumi would be the more popular driver because by then some drivers will recover from the hangover of hid domination n new gen didn’t get the harresment so they will be influenced by him too

1. Taz says:

Agreed!

56. Forzaminardi says:

I voted Glock, but my real favourites are the ones in the background of his photo…

57. russ parkin says:

wow vettel, i think that speaks volumes. i personally have no reason to like vettel. seems like a spoilt brat. looks like im not the only one to think that either. sutil is a star, he is murdering his team mate currently. vettel needs to sort his attitude out and stop swerving into people. dirty tactics

58. Nathan says:

Glock. He’s a nice bloke, his Twitter feed is superb and I think he’s quite a good driver.

59. mark edwards says:

Asking who’s your favourite German driver is like asking if you would prefer a tooth extracted or a fingernail torn out!

60. Scott says:

I don’t mind Nico but voted for Sutil. He has really started to mature as a driver.

As an aside, James could you please remove the most annoying digit in F1 from your header, it’s a bit stomach churning.

But it’s part of the package, sorry the digit stays!

1. Rich C says:

Its not the digit he *wanted to hold up anyway.

61. Leo says:

I was interested in your reference to a new crop of Spanish drivers coming through, no doubt thanks to Fernando Alonso. Don’t you think the success of Hamilton and Button, two world champions, might have a similar impact for Britain? There are already some promising young drivers coming along.

Yes. Should be some strong runners five years from now

62. Paul Mc says:

There’s only one choice : Schumacher.

It’s been tough going this year but I’m still keeping the faith.

63. Danny says:

Who else but Schumacher

He’s a winner and a champion, and more than anyone else he always finds a way to win. As for people labelling him a cheat (Ian), well that just stinks and it is all just conjecture, jealousy and hypocrisy. Let’s just see who have really cheated: Renault, McClaren and Hamilton(Aus 09)and Senna.

64. HowardHughes says:

Young Rudi Carracciola is making a bit of a name for himself in these new-fangled Alfa Romeos…

But seriously, has to be Michael Schumacher. I have unabashed love for the guy. Just a titan, and a way more humble and pleasant individual that a superficial evaluation suggests. We tend to reflect mostly on the alleged tedium of his all-conquering years, without recalling the repeated seasons of utter pathos when he was trying to win in an inferior Ferrari, to drag the Scuderia back to its glory years after 2 decades of failure, only to be denied often in the very last race of each season…

I think of the Japanese Grand Prix of 1998 when he let slip that his granny had dreamt that he’d take the title that weekend, and he was clinging to this as his talisman. Then his car let him down on the grid, and despite his valiant fight back through the field he had to retire. Or the time he broke down during the press conference with his brother and Hakkinen at the mention of him having eclipsed Senna’s record that day. I mean seriously, can you watch that clip on YouTube without feeling emotional? Or watching him crane his head out of the cockpit at Ralf’s still body during Indianapolis when the safety crew were taking an age to reach the stricken car, and the field was having to drive slowly past… Or the morning he and Ralf had to line up line astern hours after their mother had died, and he won before flying back to the funeral…

Or, or, or…

See, people think of him as some kind of Teutonic racing terminator; humourless, charmless, ruthless… but I review his career and see a hugely talented guy, yet not the MOST talented, working to refine his gifts amid various emotional events that he had to battle to subdue. I don’t see these moments of human drama when I think of Mika’s career (apart from the tears in the bushes one time) or Coulthard’s, or Webber’s, or Alonso’s even (apart from a few tantrums…)

This is why I’ll always love Michael – his career wasn’t that of a robot cruising to collect the wins. It was a drama, a novel, a technicolour widescreen movie.

I’m just praying for a happy ending.

1. J. Singh says:

One could’nt have said it better.
      Michael was matchless in his prime and there is every likelihood that he will regain the eminence of his glory years before 2012.

2. For Sure says:

I agree with both of u but no matter what happens in his second career he will be remebered as the king because he is one
      of those guys that come along once in a lifetime. And he is probably the most misunderstood driver. If any of those haters read JAs book they will have a different opinion.

65. Yonna says:

its can only be schumi even though he is not having a great season ,,,,i always say vettel dont have fan and he will be losing the few 576 he do have all over germany because of unequal treatement by redbulll and vettel seem to like and enjoy that …we like true racer vett is good but can be stupid sometimesss

66. Ralf F says:

Glock! He showed us what he could do in GP2 where he was dicing with Hamilton immediately after going in, and comprehensively trashed his teammate Ernesto Viso, who was considered one of the best there. I don’t think he’s been given the car to prove himself.

67. Grabyrdy says:

James, are you planning to write on MS this weekend : specifically, do you think his latest stuff about winning the title next year is a pre-emptive strike against the possibility of being given his P45 at the end of this one – or even earlier ?

68. Paul D says:

I have always been a fan of Rosberg ever since he got that fastest lap on his debut race in Bahrain in 2006.

It frustrates me a little when people say he is not quite quick enough. The guy had some brilliant races for Williams (when you analyse them), but because it was only for a P4 or P5 they do not get the visibility they deserve.

He is currently destroying Michael Schumacher for heaven’s sake and people question his speed? I don’t get it?

69. Liam S says:

I just needed to point this out, and I guess the best way for someone important to see it is here.

How often has a Hispania car been in the top 6 at the speed trap? Because looking at the live timing, Yamamoto is up there – or at least that’s what my understanding of the timing screen is saying…

1. Paul D says:

Can’t be right surely? Unless they are running with a very low wing set-up?

70. RB says:

Nick Heidfeld.

71. MEF says:

How anyone can even countenance voting for such a nauseating, over-rated child as Vettel is beyond me.

Of course drivers like he, Button and ‘Lewis’ are easy characters for the ill-informed masses, led by their poster-boy – Jake Humphreys to follow.

72. J. Singh says:

Michael…despite knowing that he may be past his prime.

73. MikeyMoos says:

Two names missing .. First Manfred Winklehock … Remember him in that ATS monster in the 80′s …..
    And probably the closest in talent to schumi … Stefan Bellof… If he had not crashed in Spa who knows what he would have achieved? The guy was awesome.

74. Darren says:

Well I never thought I would say this (been a Mclaren fan all my days)
    Schumi

This year, for the first time ever I have actually wanted him to win. You have to admire him for coming back. I felt sorry for him when he retired actually becuase he was so clearly pushed out at Ferrari.

However, as long as there is no in season testing Schumi will struggle. He was a pioneer in the amount of testing work he put in, especially tire testing (remember Bridgestone effectiely taylor made tyres for Ferrari a few years back) and this is what gave him the edge. This could be solved though he just needs to work out how to make the tyres work. What is more worrying is his lack of racecraft and inconsistant pace. That was another of his trademarks. the ability to nail laps consequtivly at exacltly the same time, and his shrewd race craft (some may say dirty tactics)

However one cannot deny the man is a legend of the sport, lets hope he gets the fairytail ending.

p.s.
    Cannot belive I just wrote that about the man who from 5-15 years ago I shouted and cursed at down the TV every weekend….

75. F1 Fanatic says:

Rosberg is very underrated – he is a very consistent driver, as he proved in the Williams last year with several 4th and 5th place finishes and with Mercedes with a couple of podiums. Schumacher was ominous in his first career with 91 wins; same cannot be said now as the car is quite poor and doesn’t look as sharp as he did then.
    Glock as well – he did well last year in the Toyota, though the car was good enough on some tracks to fight for podiums.

76. Anders says:

Glock of course! One of the really racy drivers in F1, although one hasn’t really seen to much of him this season with Virgin. But I consider him one of the best for his racing skills

77. Jan says:

Can I get a nod for Bernd Maylander?

While tongue is still in cheek, has Seb been trying to put Mark in the wall because he (Seb) is the new Britney?

And for something serious, James are you aware of any similar polls on other sites? I am keen to know how other-than-english native speaking fans are trending.

78. Feb says:

No matter how bad he performs this year – yet again, compared to what we’re used to -, Michael Schumacher is an all-time favorite..

Then comes Vettel because he really is talented and although some amateurish mistakes and bad manners ruined his reputation, i believe he has that champion potential.

And then comes Hulkenberg. Although he has been a little shy up to now, his day will come, surely.

79. Taz says:

Michael Schumacher forever. He had to have a bad season else none of the F1 fans would be able to enjoy the 8th title when it comes in 2011. Go Schumi :)

80. Suzy says:

Schumi forever! :D

81. F1mix says:

Nico Rosberg is a good driver and he also seems to be a very honest and nice person. As already mentioned above, he is a very consistent driver. That will pay off, one day he will be number one!

82. Jeroen says:

Stefan Bellof. I can’t believe you’ve neglected him! Obviously, I have a slight bias, as he’s my favourite driver, but seriously. To be Schumi’s idol, and to fly from last to third in Monaco in the rain, you can’t be ordinary. I miss his smile. :(