F1 World Champion 2014
Lewis Hamilton
F1 Timing app on ipad
F1 Timing app on ipad
Posted By: James Allen  |  09 Apr 2010   |  9:57 am GMT  |  118 comments

The official F1 live timing app, for which JA on F1 provides the live text commentary, has been updated for 2010 and is also available for the new ipad, which hit the shops in the USA this week and will be in the UK soon.

It’s a very cool app and one I’m delighted to be involved in. The app was launched last year and was voted by Apple one of the best 25 launches of 2009. It gives live timing and the ability to follow the race a new way using a 3D track map. This has been refined this year so that it self-centres on the driver you are following in the race, making it easier to follow.

It works well on the iphone, I often follow races on it in the press office using the Wifi connection, but it will be great on an ipad, with the larger viewing area. I reckon it will transform the viewing habits of hardcore F1 fans, giving them a much fuller picture of the race.

The 3D positional map makes it much easier to understand what is happening in the race because you can see all the drivers all the time and follow all the stories, whereas the TV feed can only follow one story at a time.

So for a race like Malaysia, for example, you can see the progress of Hamilton through the field much more clearly. It is also very useful to see how cars are positioned relative to each other around the time of pit stops.

I do the live commentary for the English version and there are professional journos doing the same in German and French.

1. drJeckyll says:

So this app make lot of noise but … is it use real gps data or just interpolate data from sectors?

It uses 34 timing loops so effectively there are 34 sectors updating

2. Wasia says:

It’s good App, but VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.

I cant let me to spent 30$(!) on iPhone App.

Sorry James, no way for me. 10$ is still ok, but no 30$.

BTW, in Russia we dont have F1 in online starting this year. :(

1. Bassano says:

In the UK it works out to be just over £1 per race weekend, I think that’s quite reasonable

This is not for casual iPhone & iPad users
      This is for F1 nuts

For the record, I have no affiliation to the developers but I think this app is superb

2. SeanG says:

$33 is ridiculous for this thing. Once again, Bernie and F1 doesn’t know how to do anything but gouge.

This is the kind of thing that could build the fanbase. But not at this price.

1. Jake says:

Agreed

2. David Hamilton says:

And how does the fact that the official F1 iPhone App is completely free fit into your ‘gouging’ theory?

3. Jake says:

Yep it’s quite dear. Not sure how it works out in Aussie $$$

3. tobi-wan says:

I nearly bought the full version for my iPhone but I baulked at £20, although it does look impressive.

I chose the free one in the end, and for a free app it’s great. Especially watching the purple/green sector times light up before Brundle and Legard inform you!

1. Nadeem Zreikat says:

I paid $40 AUD, it was a birthday present. The interactive map is good and following drivers works well. But it is over priced and chews up alot of battery on the iphone 3Gs. Easier to follow live timing on my laptop with wi fi and get just as much info and commentary seems to work better. Greta to know where the commentary comes from, cheers.

4. martin_tf says:

Looks amazing, can’t wait to get an iPad and try it.

5. Scotty says:

James, any idea if this is going to be made available for any other phones or operating systems??

1. Chris says:

I believe it’s available on Blackberry and one other platform that I can’t recall (it’s at http://www.formula1.com). I’d love an Android version right about now…

1. Scotty says:

Yup, its an Android version I’m thinking of…

Sorry James, you’d have to pay me an AWFUL lot of money to get my to buy anything Apple related… the iPhone 4 – now with added adverts, and features other phones have had for years!

2. SeanG says:

Yes. I’m glad the iphone finally has adverts! Hooray.

3. David Hamilton says:

@SeanG Everybody seems to think everything on the Net should be free. You object to adverts, which are used instead of requiring payment for apps.

Should all people working in technology live in cardboard boxes under railway arches?

I think it works so well on Apple, Steve Jobs mentioned it in his keynote on iphone 4

1. Dudley says:

Yeah, although it was horribly clear he hadn’t the faintest clue what it actually was and someone else had included it for him.

3. Andy says:

I have it on my Nokia.

1. Andy says:

To reply to myself, I guess this is a slightly different thing, though formula1.com does call mine “the official 2010 app” as well.

6. Andrew Gee says:

I wish they’d hurry up and make an android app.

Or open up the live timing so people in the community can write applications. Now that would be great.

1. Joe says:

Agreed, would love to see an Android app. I’d even have a crack at making it myself if the data was publicly available.

7. RichB says:

I have this official F1 live timing app:

Is that different to the one you are involved with?

Yes that’s the free one from FOM without the track map

8. Michael says:

shame it costs so much

9. Simon says:

Hi, will there be an android version soon?

10. Michael says:

I really liked this on my little Touch last year, very handy in quali especially so you can see the times come up immediately. It helps get that ‘fix’ you need when watching F1 to know exactly what is happening and where on the track that you can only get being at a circuit.

11. David Hamilton says:

Hi James,

That looks great. Will the car positions on the map update on the timing points (i.e. either once or three times per lap) or will they change more frequently than that?

Good question. It seems to be updated more regularly than that. In the digital TV days FOM had a fibre optic ring around the track. I know that went for a while but it may be back now.

1. David Hamilton says:

Had a reply from @f1timingapp on Twitter that said:
        “No its pretty much real time.”

2. F1fan says:

I played with it at an Apple Store yesterday, and the app is brilliant. As soon as I get an Ipad I am getting the app. It is really going to enhance the way I watch F1 races

12. Ale says:

wonderful app, do you know if they are working at an android version?

1. Yep, an Android version would be great.

13. I might finally have a reason for liking the iPad. The live positioning looks especially brilliant!

14. RKU says:

James, the only time I look away from the tv screen and onto live timing is when the tv advertisements come on!

Interesting app, and I agree it’s particularly useful during pitstops – but I wait for the day when I can click on each ‘story’ and follow a streaming video feed.

15. Will Woodhouse says:

James, picked my iPad up in NYC last weekend, it is indeed fabulous on the iPad. I was using it while watching last weeks race, it really enhances my enjoyment, more than once I’d comment about something and Martin would also comment on the same thing moments later.

What would be fabulous would be if at some point in the future they could include a video feed, something akin to kangarooTV. You could pick your commentary and in car feed as well as having all the timing data.

16. Andy S says:

I’ve got this on my iphone and it the one of the best apps I have. Great for following Friday practice when I’m at work!! 10/10 from me

17. Is there a website where you can view the 3D map? Can’t see any reasons why you’d particularly need an iPad for this.

Not that I know of, the developer, Soft Pauer, designed it specifically for use as an app.

1. OlPeculier says:

That’s a shame. I’d like to see it via the web so I can have it on my laptop alongside the F1 timing as well, rather than squint at my Touch.

Oh well…

2. English Dave says:

They need to design one for the web so the Great Unwashed can use it without an iFad.

3. Niallo says:

James, I’m an avid F1 fan for 15 seasons now. I’m dismayed that the humble PC has been overlooked in all of this. For as long as its been available (2003) I’ve been following the live timing online. I would happily pay the $30 if it was available for PC, but I simply cannot afford an iPhone or iPad at the moment. Will this kind of functionality be kept to mobile devices only, or will us loyal PC followers be offered this great service too? Loved your books, great website too.

4. Rich C says:

Sorry, you have to join the i-Cult to be really cool! ;s

18. shanext says:

Hi James, this looks great. But I saw some comments in the iTunes store alleging that this app does not provide live timing due to the FIA regulation. Is that true? Thanks a lot.

Doesn’t make sense, this uses the official FOM timing the teams use. Maybe someone wanting to spread doubt

2. Nadeem Zreikat says:

its all oficial I’ve had this app and formula1.com going exactly the same.

3. tobi-wan says:

It’s near-as-dammit live timing. Pointless otherwise!

19. Ross Clabburn says:

Hi James,

Yeah i have the app on the iphone, its a great addition to watching the race like you said. I had a feeling you did the commentary – its in the same style as your tweets! I like to plug the iPhone into the laptop, have the live timing on the laptop, the 3D positioning on the phone and the race on the tv!

20. ttom says:

To stress some comments above:

We definitely need aan Android version by now. The Android community is growing faster then Apple’s for the moment. So, please, don’t ignore this. Thank you. ;)

21. That’s very cool and true fans will pay to have such a great feature. Break it down over the year and it’s only a few quid per race.

I never get to watch f1 live.

I’m away moat Sundays and prefer to record it and get kids to bed and sit in peace and quiet to watch the race in full. Plus I can rewind and re watch any critical parts. I’ve watched F1 like thus all my life.

My question is, can the app still relay this data later on so I can get the information as if I were watching it live?

Obviously starting the app it would need to be carefull not to show any results.

Sundays and Sats are a nightmare I spend mist the day trying to avoid the results.

Thanks.

Chris.

Yes you can replay the race too, as if it were starting again when you want it to

1. PaulL says:

What happens if I open it mid-race or mid-qualifying? Will it start replaying the session from the start or intervene live?

I am hoping it would intervene live..

2. Daniel says:

Replaying the session is only available after the session has ended. If you open mid session you’ll pick it up live.

3. Great! Well I’m going to buy this for sure…

Going to be great on my iPad

chris.

22. declan says:

I bought the 2009 app and used it for three races when I didnt have a computer to see the live timings.
    But I got very wound up at having to pay per race.
    The FIA go on about reducing the cost for teams but what about the fans? Ticket prices are going through the roof and for the first year since 2000 I shall not be attending a race.
    This app although fantastic and deserving of 5 stars is just too expensive.

23. Marty McSuperfly says:

For those who don’t have ipod/iphone or who don’t quite buy into the Jobsian-wunder-pad, there is a free timing screen available here:

(just need to register for free)

Works rather dandy on my cheapo netbook.

1. Duncan Snowden says:

Ditto. Been using it for over a year on my Aspire One. It really adds to the race, and especially qualifying. If you’re not watching some kind of live timing these days, you’re really missing out.

But those of us with more sense than money would like the 3D stuff too, right? ;)

24. Lee R says:

I bought this on the iPhone and I wish I hadn’t. The app cost around £10 or £20 (which is a lot for an app) and I assumed I would be able to see all the races, but you can’t, you just see the next race and then have to buy it again.

To be honest, I love this blog James, but the App was a real negative for me. If the iPad App is as expensive I’d ditch it and start recommending other stuff – otherwise when you recommend something good (like your books) people will just switch off and assume it’s crap, when actually they’re not!

Sorry to be negative

I’m not sure that’s right. The app was around £17 for the whole season, as I recall.

2. Rob E says:

Lee,
      that’s definitely not the case – I bought mine just the once and can see all the practise sessions, qually and races without having to pay any more, so it’s a once-only deal.
      Only bummer is that I suspect it’ll be another £20 next year…

25. michael grievson says:

£20 seems a lot but it’s only £1 a race. Or a greggs pasty. Lol.

26. Dario says:

Hi James,
    Is the app only for 2010 season? Or will one be able to use it next year and onwards?
    If only for one season, then way too expensive.
    Thanks,

1. Vannman says:

The charge is for the 2010 season, ok it is alot more than other apps, but it is good value for money in my opinion.

27. Dave Downing says:

Hi James,

Is you commentary the one used on http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/ too?

28. Matt Jackson says:

I note you are doing the commentary for this, what is the chance of you pairing back up with Martin and the BBC? Legard drives me and my friends insane!

29. Martin says:

Looks great, but way too expensive…plus I beleive you have to repurchase every year …am I right ?

30. Tim Goodchild says:

This is a great piece of technology, but why isn’t it available to use on a PC via the official F1 website? I always have the live timing displayed during quali and a race, but this seems to be a perfect add-on – and I’d even consider paying to have this. Seems ludicrous that its only available to the select few who have an iPhone…and even fewer who have an iPad!

31. PaulL says:

I’ve had this app for iPhone since the first round. It’s very nice. Well done James on your input.

32. nuvolarifan says:

What about those of us who are not interested in buying a crippled device from Apple, and/or have another cell phone?

This is about as interesting as the F1 game for PS3.

If one must purchase a closed/crippled device to use a piece of software, the makers of the software are not particularly savvy.

33. Roy says:

One word… ANDROID!! Oh and another two…. HURRY UP!!

34. rpaco says:

Is this the same as the one on Formula1.com?

1. rpaco says:

Oops just seem you answer that above, so where is it used at the moment then?

35. Kalle says:

I can’t believe people complaining about the price, what are you comparing with??! Here is a very high quality niche product and you are complaining about $30? All apps cannot be $.99, and it is he wrong reference to have for this kind of app.

1. Marty McSuperfly says:

People are not really complaining on the price, just saying its too expensive for them. Tis a slight difference really.

For a fully featured app, I think its good value; but then, I can watch the race live for free and use a free timing screen to compliment it – therefore £20 extra is not going to do it for me.

However, as you correctly pointed out, the niche user will buy, use it and probably love it.

36. Mike400 says:

Its really not that expensive when you think about it – £20 over 18 races = 90p per race, and thats over only one season – over two seasons thats down to 45p a race and so on

If I had an iphone I would probably buy it – however did someone mention a blackberry version?

37. John Snow says:

I’ve got both the free FOM app and this track position app. Personally I dont think the £30 is worth it, the commentary is good but the iphone screen is too small to decent use of the track positions, the timings are better on the free app. The only advantage the £30 one has is the ability to replay a session at any time. Can’t say I’m a fan.

38. Aaron James says:

Have you ever considered doing internet voice commentary James?

More choice, for those of us who have to ensure legardj on the BBC, would be very welcome. And it increasingly seems like the technology and network is mature enough to make it viable?

39. Tim Cooper Duckworth says:

James

That was fast. I just sent you the link to the video on Apple’s website hours ago and now you already have a spot in it on your site.

I have had the app on my iPhone since it came out. Love it. But after having actually tried it on an iPad last night at the Apple store I can tell you that it is night and day. The larger format makes all the difference in the world. I am waiting for the 3G version to hit later this month before I buy one.

40. guy says:

I can’t wait to get the ipad and buy this app. I can’t believe people are moaning about $30 (£18?) for the whole season!!!!!

41. Tom says:

Hi

Interesting, I am going to have to push an iphone or ipad to the top of my wish list!

I am pleased to see the FOA embracing new technologies.

Talking of the FOA did anyone see the interview of Bernie Ecclestone & Lewis Hamilton?

It totally missed my radar until now, Bernie offered to be Lewis’s Manager and Bernie wants to see Ron Dennis attend more races. Interesting!

42. Michael says:

This app right here proves why Bernie needs to be focusing on how to deliver content like this on a consistent basis to the online community.

I am sure there are many out there that would pay on a race by race basis or for a “Season ticket” to be able to stream a TV feed of the race while also being able to have a desktop version of this app up and running.

The current F1 live timing is great for what you get because its free. At minimal add the GPS component to a desktop version.

And then get to work on streaming us some races. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to not be able to watch the races live if I am unable to get to a TV, yet I have an internet connection. Furthermore, there are cases in the US where the races are not even broadcast live, so even if I wake up at 3,4,5 AM to watch the race on live timing, I’m SOL in being able to actually watch the race.

I dont think Bernie would lose money by offering the online option, at least not anymore than what he’s losing by people streaming online feeds already. In fact, if the picture quality was good enough, I think he’d actually grab back a market that only turns to crappy online streams because they HAVE TO.

43. DannyBoy says:

ANDROID USERS: Search the market for “F1Android”!

Gives you live timing on your phone! I’ve used it for the last two races and it has worked great on my N1, plus it is free.

Having live timing on your phone means your laptop is free to show James’s tweets, BBC live text, and and McLaren.com’s new race commentary (which includes live telemetary and circuit map – but it only shows Lewis and Jensen). :D

1. StJimmyL says:

DannyBoy – can you send a link to the McLaren commentary/map? I cant find it! Cheers :)

1. jbstans says:

The McLaren timing thing is quite easy to find- if you just go to their homepage http://mclaren.com/home during a practice/quali/race session it usually takes up the whole page, or if not it’ll be up the top of the page as a link- I think they call it “Race 1.0b” or something weird.

Checked it out a couple of times, is pretty cool.

Regarding the app- I loved last years one it was awesome for following practice sessions I couldn’t watch live and so on but £19.99 for an app is utterly ridiculous and I can’t spend that on an app regardless of how much I love F1 and want to support Mr. Allen and his marvellous journalism.

44. Pete Singleton says:

James can you use your influence to get this available on Android!? Don’t really want to have to buy an iPad just for this (although it looks amazing!)

I agree with everyone on here who has said this should be available online too, I’d be happy to pay that price every season if it was.

I think that the relationship with Apple is so good, they want to focus on that. But no doubt they will hear the calls on here!

1. Chris says:

Hmmm, what you mean is that Apple have done some sort of exclusive deal to keep Android out. They really are turning into Microsoft more and more.

2. Aaron says:

Official reply from F1 today:

——————————–
        Unfortunately there is no Android version planned as of now.

Regards,

F1 Support
        ——————————–

So that sums it up… no plans to support the fastest growing OS :-(

45. Pierre says:

Looks great for the iPad.
    What a real revolutionary era the iPad opens…

46. James says:

Living in western Canada I almost never watch races live. I rely on another piece of technology, my PVR. BeFore that I did watch them live since video tape quality is so bad. All of the European races are at 4:30 AM and the Asian races are typically around 11 PM or 1 AM. So although I’d really like this iPad app I wouldn’t get to use it often. It would be nice if they offered a per race fee or a bundle of say 3 races. That would give me Canada, Brazil and Oz at reasonable times.

1. Marcus Redivo says:

I am also in western Canada, which is effectively an F1 hinterland for numerous reasons:

A) You have to get up at stupid times to watch races live with the benefit of the live timing,

B) The TSN re-broadcast is 4/3 instead of full-screen,

C) TSN cuts to commercial REGARDLESS of what’s happening on the track!

Because of the time difference, I don’t expect this app would get much traction here regardless of price or feature set.

47. Andys says:

If you search on youtube “F1 timing for ipad” you can watch a clip of it in action :)

48. Fausta says:

Such a great addition to a F1 weekend. Just wish they adapted it for a PC.

49. Obster says:

Congrats, James A, on being involved with this app.
    I saw the IPad earlier this week-looks really cool. Just the thing for us web-surfing couch potatoes.

50. Alex M says:

This is a cool idea. I know the US isn’t exactly the biggest F1 market, but our problem is that we rarely get to watch the races live. If there was some way to sync the app to my TIVO’d replay of the race, I’d buy an iPAD just to get this app… The blog is awesome, btw. I read several, and yours is the best at analyzing interesting aspects of F1 (valuable) vs. just reporting the news (which is available everywhere – it’s amazing how 1 driver quote becomes an entire story on many websites). Thanks.

You can do that, you can start the app whenever you want so it works with delayed broadcasts

1. Alex M says:

I will try it on the wife’s iPhone first, for Shanghai. Thanks! I am glad you/they are way ahead me.

51. BiggusJimmus says:

Thanks for giving me one more reason to buy an iPad. A few more and I reckon I can proposition to the missus with a reasonable chance of success. Come on developers!

52. …and there was me thinking I ought to be watching while it happened on the TV.

53. Nartin says:

Just to add my voice to previous requests:
    We need it for everybody and that means on
    Windows !
    I have the Formula 1 “live” timing on while watching GP’s but it is too slow and inadequate, the lap chart didn’t work at all….
    Regards,
    Martin

1. Brian says:

Have you tried using different browsers and installing the latest java?

54. Brian says:

Great stuff James, anything that has James in it is all worth it, I had a Blackberry and due to most of limited apps, i may decide to switch to an iPhone and an iPad soon to get this application. Someone brought a good point that streaming F1 on an ipad would be great, F1 has been too slow to adopt the internet, I can only imagine that we might have exclusive F1 content, more interactivity and more behind the scenes of video/audio stuff in future, however, I believe that with this app, we may see more and more features being thrown in. If I were Bernie I would also intergrate with this app the digital TV Bernie had many years ago and get access to stuff like team radio, switch to several cameras from drivers to various around the circuits. Apple is moving towards streaming of audio and music. If Bernie began to exploit the internet, it may boost F1 financially to a higher level than what it is today.

55. El Pilluli says:

I think the big question for this app is: how “real time” is the 3D map? If I see on live tv Lewis overtaking another drive in the middle of two sectors. How long does the 3D positional map take to update? Until the pass the next sector? Is it instantaneous?

I guess if it relays only on sector times (even if more than the “usual” 3 sectors) there will always be a lag on showing overtaking until drivers cross the sector…

56. Mark A says:

Just want to add my vote for an Android version.
    Please note developers that there are plenty of F1 fans who don’t use Apple (and speaking for myself) never will!

1. Chris says:

Nor will I, forza Android!!!

57. elephino says:

I’ve got the iphone apps, both this and the FIA one. The FIA one only works on occassion and has less info on the timing side (even ignoring the maps).

I think the F1 Timing app is worth the money. I have the live timing on the laptop and the map on the iphone with the TV showing the broadcast.

I also used it in conjunction with Kangaroo TV in Melbourne. Also helped knowing where the cars were a little more accurately than 3 times a lap. Was funny telling someone which driver was coming next – they were stunned (firstly by me knowing in advance and secondly by the app when I then showed it to them).

58. Rob says:

Looks great – will give it a trial.

59. Keith says:

Kerrrrrr-ching!

60. Big Jim says:

It is far too expensive AND you have to buy it new every season!

The same info is free on formula1.com I use it all the time and it works very well.

Another example of F1 screwing the fans.

61. Colin says:

This is way too expensive.And i expect they will charge for 2011 too.

62. Dave B says:

I have already bought this for my iPhone, please don’t tell me I have to shell another £20 out for the iPad version?

63. Cam K says:

Can you at least change the price down to say $25 AUD all my friends and i have an iphone, ipod touch or Ipad and were all Formula one fans. we were going to buy it but none of us wanted to spened the money ($39.99 AUD)

64. WandaDavid says:

Every body knows that life is not cheap, nevertheless we require cash for different things and not every man earns enough money. Thus to receive quick loans or just short term loan would be a proper way out.

65. Darren says:

I would like this app but as it’s mid season it’s not worth it, can anything be done pro-rata e.g £10 for the second half of the season?

66. The beauty of these blogging engines and CMS platforms will be the lack of limitations and simple manipulation that permits developers to implement wealthy content material and ‘skin’ the website so that with very little effort one would by no means notice what it is making the website tick all with out limiting content and effectiveness.