Tous Avec Jules #17
Sochi 2014
Russian Grand Prix
Some insight into Renault’s plan for F1 team
Some insight into Renault’s plan for F1 team
Posted By: James Allen  |  06 Feb 2010   |  5:27 pm GMT  |  72 comments

When Renault announced that it had decided to sell a majority stake in its F1 team to tech investor Gerard Lopez, many people in the sport questioned what the strategy was.

Was it a way for the manufacturer to pull out of the sport while appearing to stay involved? Was it a fig leaf to cover up the embarrassment of a pullout? Is this team still Renault, even though as much as 75% of the UK based team is now owned by Lopez? And why did they turn down an offer from David Richards, who wanted to rebrand the team Aston Martin and move his entire operation to the team’s Enstone base?

G Lopez
The new car was launched a week ago and is very much branded Renault; the livery is the corporate colour scheme of Renault, echoing the look and feel of the turbo cars back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. So what is this team all about?

Some insight into what Renault are up to and Lopez’ plans for the team comes from a punchy interview with the entrepreneur in l’Equipe this week.

All the talk in the internet business circles at the moment is of the importance of “platforms”, like Google, Facebook and the like. Lopez sees his F1 team as a “platform” and a “hub” around which he can construct a business network.

“Our desire has always been to come into F1 to represent our Mangrove Capital Partners company and develop our activity, which is international business, ” says Lopez. ” F1 will be a platform for us..a hub. We will entrust the racing team to specialists, while the Mangrove people take care of business.

“We will propose to our sponsors something other than a sticker on a car. We will propose collaborations with companies in our portfolio. For example, Genii (an arm of Mangrove) is working on an engine which reduces consumption by 40%. The development of this would benefit from a partnership with an oil company.”

And by being so closely aligned with Renault he hopes to propose to the automotive giant, “some interesting projects regarding new technology, the environment and so on, areas where we are very strong.”

Lopez is a big believer in internet in cars, for VOIP, navigation and other applications and has investments in programmes to perfect the technologies.

Picture 65
“If Renault is promoting its brand for the first time in a long time, it is doing so in a structured way,” said Lopez. “There was no point in us taking part in some sideshow where we act as a sightscreen for Renault to creep out of F1 on tip-toes. When we saw that Renault was prepared to show its colours in a serious way, we said ‘This is a partnership which could work.’ ”

He is not short of self-belief, “Mercedes aligned itself with Brawn because Brawn would bring it success. Renault has aligned with us because Genii can bring success, ” he says.

He argues that his approach to F1 is “do it properly or don’t do it at all.” When you have involvement in world renowned brands like Skype, “you can’t damage its reputation by mediocre performances in F1.”

Lopez does not want to be seen as a team boss. Genii installed Eric Boullier in Flavio Briatore’s old office as team principal. Renault will have a representative on the executive committee of the team. Boullier will represent the team at FOTA meetings, but Lopez will take up Renault’s seat at F1 Commission meetings, involving the FIA and will deal with Bernie Ecclestone.

He is an interesting character and it’s clear he is not doing the F1 team as a billionaire’s vanity exercise, but rather looking to establish a new business model, based on F1′s colossal following and media platform.

1. Ross says:

Brilliant stuff, thanks.

I think Lopez’ involvement can only be good for Renault and it seems clear that they’d have pulled out last year if it wasn’t for the outside investment.

2. MichaelinBeijing says:

Is Ho Ping Tung a Chinese driver or Dutch driver? why is he the reserve driver of Renault?

Lopez must be eyeing China as a potential gold mine. The question is how and when he gets a return.

Guess he may not want to share his view with us huh?

1. Jeffrey says:

He is born in Velp, The Netherlands, so that would make him Dutch. He obviously has Chinese origin. And apparently he has a Chinese license, so that makes him Chinese driver. Simple, right… ;-)

Well of course he is right for using his Chinese origin to his advantage, as the Chinese market is WAY bigger than the Dutch market, making him much more interesting for a team and sponsors.

2. Phil C says:

He’s managed by Genii as well, so that’s probably why he’s got the reserve role. He tested a Renault at the Young Driver Test too and posted some pretty impressive times if i remember

3. Meeklo says:

Can I get some examples where sponsors have also acted as beneficial technology partner? excluding oil companies.

Do Vodafone or LG actually provide any technology or is it just advertising cash?

I know HP/Compaq supplied all of Williams computers and servers. Any others?

Even if I include Oil companies, are Total, Shell and Mobil the official oil supplier for their respective teams mass production cars; Renaults,Fiats,Mercedes.

1. HowardHughes says:

Well apparently Gillette have played the role of, er, ‘Official grooming partner’ to Williams…

I know, I know. Sounds about as meaningful as the Pope acting as official head of security at an orgy.

2. YuppieScum says:

Well, AMD for Ferrari, and you have to wonder how much Johnny Walker the Williams team gets through…

1. maldito james allen says:

williams?!, i thinks you ment mclaren.

3. Meeklo says:

I’m replying to my own post, but I’d like to expand more on my thoughts on technology partners.

I think there is a place for technology companies in F1, and I encourage it. But it would be great if in the future bigger deals are made. Such as IF Garmin could sponsor Renault and as part of the deal be the official provider of integrated in car navigation for their mass-production vehicles. There are even opportunities for telecommunication devices in-car as well as say free Vodafone Phone&Service for a year with the purchase of a Fiat. Ferrai did well with their Ferrari branded Acer laptop.

To me this is the future of marketing and branding in F1 and what Lopez should be trying to accomplish. Advertising about trying to get people to go out and purchase something.

That is how a lot deals are structured in F1 eg Shell oil is the first fill on all new Ferraris and the only approved oil. Lopez wants to work in collaboration with companies who come on board as sponsors to develop new technologies and market them via the team that certainly makes sense to me

4. MorrisOx says:

So…why am I bothering to ‘put a sticker on a car’ (i.e., sponsor Renault F1) if my real interest is in a technological relationship with another business?

All seems a bit smoke and mirrors to me.

1. Daniel says:

Agreed. Let’s be hones here. The man saw a deal, and he took it. These things happen during times of crisis. Shame we can’t simply say “the price was right, and so I took it.”

1. melonfarmer says:

uh oh, last time I heard “it’s going to be more than a sticker on the car”, Simon Fuller and Nick Fry presented the Honda “my earth dreams” nonsense.

Good luck to them, but there’s only so much b2b that can be done without someone pitching up with a sack of cash.

5. Connor McKinley says:

Fascinating read, thanks

Hopefully good for Renault, especially as i’m a Kubica supporter ;)

6. George says:

This is all far too complicated for my liking, I dont want to see cars being run by billion dollar companies with no interest in motorsport except the money.

1. Jeffrey says:

I haven’t made my mind up about this one. It still ‘smells’ a bit odd (an investor buying a majority share in a company but keeping the brand name), but if Lopez is committed to F1 and will keep Renault in F1 and make ‘em succesful, I’m all for it. I guess F1, because of it’s global interests, will always attract investors who want a piece of the pie, and will use it as a platform to build businesses on. It’s hardly charity. Some come and go and are only interested in a quick buck, others stick around and are more willing to invest time and money and commitment into it. I hope Lopez is one of the latter.

It’s an interesting time in global business and f1, manufacturers quitting, other ones just starting. Small fish eat big fish (what about Spyker (remember them?) buying Saab??) Interesting developments… I hope it will all work out for the better!

7. KRf1 says:

That was a nice article James ! Thanks a lot .

The team seem to win 2 championships every decade in a new guise everytime so , the future looks bright .

8. Mario says:

As I understand it, this team is about to turn into a mobile advertising board and a “platform”
    for ambitious businessman to build his empire. All fine, but what motivation is there for this team to compete for wins if the bosses are not too much interested in racing? Or who will be their supporters? I just cannot grasp the idea of running a fake racing team.

1. Daniel says:

I know… at no time did he mention anything related to a result. Strange days.

2. bill says:

i guess you havent read the article carefully

9. Brace says:

I really wonder why didn’t they sell it to Richards. Still this guy makes sense, but I feel a kind of insecurity about people’s dedication if they go on too much about using F1 for this or for that. In that respect, you could only classify Ferrari, McLaren and perhaps Williams as sure bet (not too sure about Williams because they seem to struggle lately with budget), but we need more teams.
    We need teams who are all about racing, but are still much bigger and much more sound operations compared to other all-about-racing teams who can’t really run their business side successfully and as a result of that, fall by the way side.

1. Med says:

Maybe because this way they still keep their name on display in F1 but don’t have to fork out as much for it

10. OppositeLock says:

One of the most intelligent, well thought out rationale I have read in a long time. I hope it’s sincere. If it is, this could be a paradigm shift in the business models for teams and its true sponsor/partners.

11. And he’s wrong too. Otherwise he wouldn’t need a pay driver. True top teams don’t have them. Aston Martin on the grid would have been fantastic btw.

12. Richard says:

Lopez is an oppportunist (and there is nothing wrong with that). The downside for F1 is that more teams than ever are going to be built around and financed by people who are not particularly passionate about F1 racing but who see an opportunity to ride it for publicity. This used to be the role of sponsors. It is now becoming the role of team owners. The trouble is that sponsors come and go. The same rules must surely apply here. This trend is not good for F1 and leaves it in a state of instability. Perhaps the stalwarts of F1 (Frank Williams, Ron Dennis et al) are a thing of the past. I am not sure I have much faith in the new guard to look after the interests of F1.

13. Nick Somebody says:

The more exclusive the contest, the less likely you are to be a winner. Successful business men are used to winning and expect to win. You don’t just come in and win in F1 though. As long as he is being realistic about what Renault can do in the sport in the short term then his participation is most welcome.

I hope F1 doesn’t become like football where rich powerful men come in and buy a club and expect to instantly be Manchester United. When it of course doesn’t work out that way they start firing people.

I hope he actually understands F1.

14. HowardHughes says:

Basically this is being trumpeted as a ‘new approach’, but is it really so different from what Ron Dennis has achieved with McLaren?

Electronics, home entertainment, consulting, manufacturing, technical partnerships, massive sponsorship deals, architectural showcases…hell they even supply standardised timing equipment for many sports (including for a long time F1) via their TAG connection, not to mention their supply of ECUs to every time via the FIA.

Yet McLaren have ALWAYS retained the firmest of grips on the essence of the operation, ie winning races. Lopez will never come close to emulating this. I reckon he’s sold the honchos at Renault some bucket of old sophistry about brand-building, ‘hub’ creation, brave new futures etc that convinced them that choosing his path rather than a straight sale to Aston Martin would be better. One is tempted to compare this direction with that of the Nigerian ‘Prince’ that Tom Walkinshaw attracted as an ‘investor’ in Arrows in 1998, who blew in with a lot of talk about a hypercool F1-based brand that would encompass technology, energy drinks, clothing, games etc and would revolutionise motorsport marketing.

That guy left amid allegations of fraud before the season was out. Obviously Lopez is an entirely different character, but despite all my own personal previous involvement in, and appreciation for, the world of online advertising & marketing, I just wish these guys would leave F1 to the racers, the people like Stoddart, Jordan, Dennis, Williams, and latterly the hugely successful yet passionate tycoons like Mateschitz and Vallya. F1 is not some gateway to creating a ‘hub’. If you want to cross-pollinate business disciplines then set up a consultancy firm and start pitching to disparate brands that you’d like to rein together. F1 is perhaps the noblest sport of all – a majestic enterprise where bright brains engage in business, design, testing and driving to try and get their cars and drivers across the line first after 2 hours of furious driving every second Sunday.

It is not some rickety platform for cynical dead-eyed opportunists to drop in and exploit in the name of brand-building. Go away please and take your lack of passion somewhere else. I hear the VOIP Enthusiasts Club needs a treasurer.

1. James H. says:

The world has passed you by Mr. Hughes. Passion? Majesty? Nobility? Get real.

1. HowardHughes says:

I disagree. The sight and sound of 22 V10 engines screaming off the startline is a majestic one. The passion espoused by every driver who has to train and sacrifice for years to reach the pinnacle, and every current boss who started off as a mechanic or threadbare team owner is admirable, and the innate nobility of the hundreds who toil away at the factories, often operating on caffeine and loyalty when crises occur and things have to be remanufactured at zero notice, is inspiring.

To pretend, as you do, that this sport lacks these sentiments is to insult the many who adore it. Do you think James Allen hangs around cold testing tracks hunting for the perfect quote, or that hidden gem of info for us, the fans, because it’s gonna make him richm, or because Northamptonshire is particularly glamourous at 8am on a February morning?!

Passion. So YOU get real.

2. James H. says:

Mr. Hughes, Apparently, my sarcasm was unappreciated. To be serious, passion still exists, but the powers that be in Formula One merely tolerate it. When a driver like Kimi Raikkonen is considered an outsider because he is unable to conform to the business model, something is wrong. Many champions of the past would also be considered unmarketable. Although we probably have been following F1 for a similar time period, you have a greater knowledge of the Sport and its history. But honestly, I think your passion clouds your judgment when it comes to recognizing the cancerous corporate cynicism that is harming a sport we both love.

2. bill says:

but he does leave the racing to proper people in estone and viry, he doesnt interfere with how the team is managed and how its racing, he wants the team to be succesfull and that is the foundation of his bussiness model. What is wrong with that? Lopez will simply use his new “f1connections” as a platform for his different bussiness projects

1. Zobra Wambleska says:

I think his personal vision is to wag the dog while allowing the dog to continue biting and barking unmolested.

3. Axu says:

Mr. Hughes,

Although I feel that F1 can be called “a noble sport” no more than high-stakes poker, I agree with the rest of your opinions.
      The fact that Mr. Lopez would not interfere on a operational/daily basis with the team (as stated by Bill above) is not necessarily a good thing. I’m tempted to say that that would further proove his lack of true racing motivation. And that’s a deadly sin for a team owner. And for his team, ultimately.
      If someone is not involved at an irrational level (that being racing passion) into such an operation, the daily mayhem, grind and unexplainable results will make someone looking only for cold return on investment to look somewhere else.
      I hope I will be proved wrong, because I like Kubica and he deserves a good team.

4. maldito james allen says:

don’t worry. i agree with you. If you are not 17, and have your own view, there is no room for you on the blog.
      Yo have to say yes mr allen to everything he says. And everything will work just fine.

1. HowardHughes says:

Huh? Not sure that’s very fair – I often disagree with James Allen, and I’ve never been censored or attacked for it… Trying disagreeing with the Editor on the Pitpass Forum and you literally get insulted; there’s none of that here.

15. Connor McKinley says:

I think there’s a link between the company who have brought a part of Renault and Ho Ping Tung, something to do with his management I think so that could have been a main factor in the decision

16. BAR4Ever says:

This is the death knell for Toleman/Benetton/Renault. It took them many years to clime to the pinnacle of F1, but their descent has been rapid and inglorious.

17. Irish conor says:

I don’t particulary care what sticker is on the side of that car aslong as the team wants to go racing and not just a quick buck. And secondly James I’d rather no who u think is the pound for pound top 10 in f1 at the moment and other readers join in and let’s have a debate

18. Matt says:

Agree. F1 has to be paid for of course but these neo business models won’t result in winng F1 teams.

What is it with Internet in cars anyway?

There are obvious uses but it’s not revolutionary. The techs there and the lack if mass up take suggest the application is limited if not un exciting.

19. Meeklo says:

I find it quite amusing how much bashing Lopez is getting.

Never before has a team been so highly criticized. Or should I say team owner, after all the factory and crew are still the same Renault that we all use to know and love, aren’t they? Or is Lopez really building a new team from scratch? Did the original Renault crew already jump ship as Kubica considered doing? IF the people are still there can’t Lopez successfully continue where Renault left off. But that’s like saying StefanGP will be just as competitive as Toyota left off, not quite believable. So it still remains to be seen whether the team is still “Renault” or now “FakeRenault”. Its intriguing to see how it will pan out this year.

I say never before has someone been so criticized but goes to show how the internet and blogging has changed F1 fans voice. It seems here, that people are putting Lopez in the same book as AlexShenaider/MidlandF1 and SpykerF1, turning the team into something to be bought and sold every year. We just don’t want to see that shame happening again this decade.

I don’t know much about Gerard Lopez, but every time I hear his name brought up I pronounce it SenorLopez with that shady-Mexican twist, jokingly no racism intended.

20. Meeklo says:

James you haven’t written much about Lotus, and am curious how people’s perception on team name-branding is to that compared to FakeRenault.

In all seriousness F1 is becoming more about advertising than racing. You can’t hate SenorLopez without hating RichardBranson who in comparison has been cheered into F1. But really their in it for the exact same purposes.

Were lucky RedBullRacing has proven racing is in their blood otherwise would people feel the same about their intentions. We’ve got to give all the new teams a chance and see what happens.

I’ve done a bit on Lotus, but to be honest it’s all been quite recent and I’m waiting until their launch on Friday in London.

1. Jasper says:

Hi James is the Lotus Launch at the Royal Horticultural Hall on Friday open to the public or is it a private affair?

I suspect it’s private guests, which is a shame, F1 teams are really missing the boat with these private launches. I hope the mass launch idea for next year is more fan friendly.

I think Lotus and Virgin are gonna do alright in their first year, just a feeling. Good luck to them.

21. bill says:

great reading as always james, thank you!

22. Seisteve says:

This is actually very cool and mirrors what Virgin are doing with VR. They get the name at no cost by bringing in people who want to use Virgins contacts and Business acumen to create a win win. So this is nothing new with Renault and if we are honest it has gone on for years.

HP are? or was? a large sponsor of Williams and provide laptops to the team advantage but it gave then a big ‘IN’ to the customer base who was technology proficient because of what F1 is.

Great article James and a sign of the times which will give F1 a better and revised set of business criteria to build from.

23. Bill says:

The guy sounds sincere and I wish him all the best, but I would take a genuine racer like Peter Sauber over him any day.
    I get the impression that if Renault go through one or two bad seasons this guy won’t be seen for the dust.

24. Chuck Jones says:

I’m sincerly enjoying most of the blogs, inciseive,intellegent,and they raise very interesting questions regards todays business modes. My only comment is that the majority of SPECTATORS AND PARTICIPANTS don’t care where the money comes from, or how it gets there. The only concern is that the CHECKS ARRIVE, the cars are on the grid and the show goes on! As an ex team owner I admit a good part of me has always felt the same way. The Renault deal may make some people nervous, but the bottom line is that THE TEAM is still racing and in this tough game, thats what counts!

25. Tomek says:

James, I’d be glad if you could provide us with some conclusion regarding this article. I mean, yes Gerard Lopez says that there is no point in being mediocre. But, in your opinion, are they able to achieve it? How long will it take? Year or more? What are prospects according to your and sources and based on what you saw in Valencia for example?

26. Olivier says:

nono, the turbo colours were: black, yellow AND white!

They just need to add white to get the vintage look because they look like bees now.

27. Christopher Snowdon says:

Do you think Renault want to create a Mclaren/Mercedes type deal we’ve seen in the last 14 odd years or so? Until this year of course, Mclaren have been thought of as the works Mercedes team.

28. maldito james allen says:

renault world champions again.

1. Mike from Medellin, Colombia says:

James – just so that you know

“maldito James Allen” is Spanish for “damn/bloody James Allen”

I don’t understand why people like this like to waste their time. It’s a shame.

29. Andy says:

I gathered from that, that Renault has sold him the team, but are now the title sponsors of the team.

30. Silverstoned says:

James, do you reckon another, simpler rationale might be that Renault want to expand their sales in east europe, hence the Warsaw Pact team of Kubica and Petrov?

31. F1ART says:

Bernie has now confirmed that all the teams can opt out of a maximum of three races this year. How ridiculas, this is why in the past teams had to pay an entry bond of $48,000,000 to make sure they were finacialy viable.
    I agree the bond was probably too much but it served a pupose.
    Will we see four teams turn up at Brazil and Abu Dhabi(taking into account the one or two that will go bust during the season?).

1. the latin says:

please tell me the lotto numbers for this week-end. You sure must have a cristal ball.
      And don’t forget that, in this economy you have to give people some room to manouver. Otherwise f1 would be with just ferrari and mclaren running. Thing that you wouldn’t be against if they were all british drivers.

1. F1ART says:

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Matt M says:

off topic,

James do you think Toyota decision to pull out of F1 was in anyway connected with the current recall of road cars?

33. Simon A says:

Going off on a tangent, but loosely connected to this article, just wondering about Genii and where the name comes from after watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang this weekend.

GEN 11 is the number plate of the famous car, and I just wondered if this is a coincidence, as the car built into the wonderful CCBB was a mythically famous racing car. It’s got to be a coincidence surely?

On a serious note, Lopez seems to have his head screwed on, and could lead the way towards a financial model for future F1 teams. I’m sure there has been some shoulder rubbing between sponsors in the past, but Lopez seems to want to push the envelope here and build a sponsorship team around the F1 team, using the F1 technology to some extent in their product development rather than just the media coverage. Sponsor and technology partner, in much the same way as Shell and Ferrari have been. Interesting idea but there can’t be too many companies out there with the R&D budget and product portfolio to make this work. One to keep an eye on though I think.

34. Nathan Bradley says:

Hi James, (and everyone else!)

Sorry for this post in a daft place again, but I could do with some help.

I’ve already told you I’m planning to go to the test at Jerez, but I’m disabled and I have no idea what access is like. I have emailed the circuit but have not received a response. I would like to know what parking, access, services, viewpoints etc are like, and whether the grandstand is covered from rain etc.

Also, due to the massive tailbacks at Valencia when he drove, could you tell me when Alonso will be driving, so I can get there early.

I appreciate that this is not your area, but you’ve been so helpful in the past, and anything you could tell me would be a great help, even if its directing me to a more appropriate person to ask!

Thanks and great website!

Alonso is driving the first two days. Not sure about disabled access to Jerez nor where to start in finding out. I’d call the circuit – they are bound to speak English.

1. Nathan Bradley says:

Thanks James

35. Silverstone says:

Good article indeed.

I can’t see Renault having a good season in 2010 though.

36. MorrisOx says:

So, what kind of ‘technology partnership’ is involved in the £13m pay-drive deal with Petrov?

1. Med says:

Online loan comparisons?

Apparently his dad’s having trouble getting the loan secured and hasn’t received the money from the bank as yet, so Petrov may not have the funds for a seat

37. Paige says:

Based on this interview, I can see why Bernie was so adamant about getting Lopez into F1. He clearly has vision.

38. Oliver Neilson says:

Isn’t the Genii Capital that Lopez refers to the same company that made up the consortium including Bernie Ecclestone that tried (and failed) to buy Saab?

39. Paul Moss says:

Sorry, but to me Lopez speaks of the internet and tech platforms with all the cred of my Aunt Mabel…c’mon! I work in that industry – he clearly doesn’t.

Skype as a global brand reference? Sure, lots of ppl know it, but as a cheap voip alternative that often drops out and promises little except ‘try it, its not THAT bad’.
    ‘Platforms’ like Google and Facebook? One’s a Search giant and one’s a Social Networking giant – i’m sorry, where does “Platform Renault” fit? What is it’s reason for being? It looks like a marketing platform, just the same as all the others, but with a slightly thicker layer of BS around it.

1. Meeklo says:

Agreed. Note the still blank sidepods. You’d think that if any of his internet Mangrove clients were actually interested in the F1 operation their names would be on the cars for the launch event. Did SenorLopez query his clients of interest before he went out and bought the team?

40. Warwick says:

This may be obvious, or conversely I may be wrong…but it continually strikes me during this off-season, that F1 is in a state of change unlike anything we’ve seen for a long time. Not only are teams and drivers changing, but it feels as if the whole mindset and philosophy of F1 is changing.

For a long time, it has been a business as much as a sport, we all know that, but it always seemed to be an “old” business model that was fairly rigid in its ways. Sell sponsorship, win races, sell sponsorship, etc. Now, the fresh and entrepreneurial team owners are taking advantage of an atmosphere of change and bringing new ideas to the table. I think we will see the sport open up to the public a lot more in the coming years.

The new faces in the sport will be more likely to look ‘outwards’ from the core, rather than looking ‘inwards’ and always trying to protect the inner sanctum of sponsors and business dealings. These people are here to open their businesses to the world, and they understand that the new way to do this is to be transparent and social and open to the world.

I’m not sure how strict the rules are about teams filming the goings on at events, but hopefully F1 and Bernie will be wise enough to let these teams use tools like YouTube and social media to show the behind the scenes action that TV could never have time for. Fun times ahead!

I think you are right and it’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while now. Will write something on this