May the best man win
Title Showdown 2014
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
JA on F1 Tweets – all the news and insight in real time
JA on F1 Tweets – all the news and insight in real time
Posted By: James Allen  |  01 Feb 2010   |  9:00 am GMT  |  117 comments

I’m delighted to announce JA on F1 Tweets, an exciting new service for the 2010 season.
Picture 50

The idea of this subsite is to bring the sport and the fans closer together by pulling together tweets from inside and outside the sport in one place. What’s so special about it? The key is that you don’t have to be a twitter user to enjoy the wealth of insight and information about the sport that is available from twitter – and often nowhere else!

Think of this like a playlist; I’m the filter and this is my personal choice of Tweets I follow, from inside the sport and the best of the fan tweets. It’s pretty comprehensive already, but over time I will add in more feeds, as more teams and drivers come to the party. But I’m filtering out the junk and creating a genuine touch-point for the fans to the sport.

Here you will find insider information, the teams, the drivers, the journalists, the paddock insiders working on the commercial or technical side and I will work behind the scenes with them to develop the community.

And I will continue to review who’s making waves among the fan twitterers. So if you work in F1, or are a fan with something interesting to say and think you should be on here, then use the Suggest an ID box or send your Twitter ID to twitter@jamesallenonf1.com and we will take a look.

We also have twitter feeds from F1 media around the world, from the BBC to Brazil. The latest articles from websites and blogs as well as the traditional media are all linked to if they are ‘tweeted’ about.

So if you want to hear it first – you’ll hear it here first!

This week we will be live in Valencia, pulling together the tweets with the latest news on the testing. Click on the “Live at Valencia” tab.

Picture 40
But there is more to it than that. The navigation of this device makes it really simple to find the tweets you’re really interested in. Want to know everything that is being said about Ferrari today? Then click on Ferrari in the display of team’s tweets and you will get all the latest tweets from the team and ones about them.

Click on Ferrari in the Search column and you’ll get all mentions of Ferrari from across the site. It’s a multi-dimensional new source – if one of the drivers or teams is the centre of attention for any reason, you can quickly pick up everything that is being said about them from inside and outside the industry.

We’ll be working on further improvements during the season, and would love to hear your ideas and feedback for how we can improve the service.

Click on the link to explore JA on F1 Tweets.

1. Andrew S says:

I have jssut put this on twitter but–

What a fantastic idea!

This unveiling is more impressive than the F1 cars this week!

Right back to work…

Work? On a day like this?

1. Steve Mc says:

He He! It really is quite tricky to hide what’s on your monitor in an open plan office, though, James…I’m dreading the monthly internet usage report that the boss receives.

Oh well, how many first days of testing for the 2010 season do we get a year?

That said, however, I hope you realise that you will be held personally responsible for any loss of employment experienced as a direct result of remaining glued to the Twitter feed, James!

2. Henry Manney says:

“I’m dreading the monthly internet usage report that the boss receives.”

If you weren’t surfing the web while someone is paying you to do work, you would have nothing to fear, would you ?

A head of engineering at a company I know used this sort of thing to help him choose who got dismissed when the company was downsized. And you know, he had no sympathy for those who surfed the internet while they were supposed to be working, because they deserved none.

I work for myself, so I often work seven days a week,
        but at least I don’t have to cower in fear just because I’ve visited a website.

3. Steve Mc says:

@Henry Manney – Sorry Dad!

4. Mike Dawson says:

Cheers James… there goes what was going to be a productive day for me! :)

fantastic service, thanks for doing this :)

5. Stephen Hopkinson says:

I should be writing my dissertation; instead, I’m crouched over the laptop refreshing the live timing page (when it’s not crashing, at least).

Far too early to be reading anything into these times, would you agree James?

6. Anthony says:

Can you let me know the website showing live timing please

2. Dominic says:

Interesting. Hardly groundbreaking. It’s to F1 news, what the DVD was to the CD. Keep up the great work James. Hope to see you back in the commentary box soon!

3. Josh says:

great idea but please, for the love of God James, change your photo in the twitter plug on the right!

4. Dom says:

Hi James,

Great service James, any way of displaying it on this page? Twitter is banned on my work internet – probably is on other peoples too :(

That’s the whole point, it’s not on Twitter it’s on my website! What happens when you try to go to http://twitter.jamesallenonf1.com ?

1. Aaron James says:

The keyword Twitter is probably banned James.

2. Phil says:

Hey James,

Looks great – glad to everything in one place. Most company firewalls and proxies will block by keyword so twitter itself in the title bar will do the damage. Maybe your techs could setup an alias address (tinfo.jamesallenonf1.com?) for us with over zealous company admins?

5. theothercoldone says:

FANTASTIC!

6. brad says:

id love to see actual test times included in the tweets, will be great if you could give those some priority…if possible

7. Insider says:

How is this different from using Twitter lists with a Twitter client that conveniently updates on your PC when there’s new stuff?

1. It’s for people who don’t have Twitter and don’t want to maintain their own lists
      2. It’s my selection of twitterers to follow – for example tweeting live today from Valencia – I’m acting as the hub

1. Tim Lamkin says:

It works great!

8. Dang, I’m away all day today and not near my computer… can’t see any of this until tonight!

Keeping up to date on my iPhone though!

9. jonas says:

excellent idea James … nice one

10. jonas says:

Just had a look through it … its brilliant. I think I mentioned this before, but your site is surely second only to the mighty autosport.com when it comes to reliable F1 news and ideas.

1. Adrian says:

I’d actually rate James’ site above Autosport, purely based on the amount of “inside information” he is able to include. I mean sure, Autosport updates more often and has more stories, but the quality of JAOF1 more than makes up for it.

Personally, the only other F1 site I rate as highly is F1Fanatic…

1. Frenchie says:

Ditto except I replace f1fanatic with formula1blog.com for entertainment purposes.

11. Noelinho says:

That’s a great idea James. I Tweet on F1 quite a lot, so I would love to be added, but I tweet on lots of other things too. Are you looking for F1 only accounts, or do you have filters that will pick out F1 tweets?

Don’t want to accidentally fill your feed with football every Saturday afternoon and Tuesday evening…

For tweets to appear in the fanzone, they need to include “F1″ in the tweet or it gets filtered out.

We are looking for fans who have something interesting to say on the sport.

1. Noelinho says:

Fantastic. In that case, I will put my username forward and make sure I include the #F1 in relevant tweets. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

12. Neil says:

Excellent service! I’m really enjoying following everything as it happens without all the excess “I’m eating my dinner now” tweets! Also a very good way to include those who don’t want “full” twitter.

One suggestion, you could maybe make a link to a person’s twitter profile so that people who do use it can follow them directly as well?

If you click on the user’s name beneath the tweet (ie where it says “1 minute ago by Sarah Holt”) it will take you to their twitter page

13. Petition2DChicaneTamburello says:

This is a very nice service. Thanks for setting it up and congratulations.

On the testing note, I noticed that the first few times set are a massive 18 or so seconds off the lap record at Valencia. Is this normal for the first runs at tests there or are the cars going to be slower than in past years?

Just installation laps. Don’t read anything into it

1. Petition2DChicaneTamburello says:

Indeed, especially as I’m seeing grooves on the tyres on the cars?!

14. Frenchie says:

Excellent idea. Thank you James.

I’m glad you are filtering tweets out. It looks quite overwhelming already. :-)

15. Dermot Keelan says:

One Word: Fantastic.

16. Desdi says:

Pretty ingenious I have to say.
    Thanks James!

17. Andrew Jackling says:

Fantastic innovation James, looking forward to using this site throughout the 2010 season.

18. Chetz says:

Amazing…. thanks…

19. Nathan Bradley says:

Hi James,

I know this is in the wrong place but I couldn’t find a contact link!

I’m planning to go to Jerez for the test, but I’m probably only going to be able to go for one day. Being a big Lewis Hamilton fan, I would like to go when he will be driving the car. Reading into what you wrote about Valencia, I’m assuming that there will only be one car per team, with one driver per day.

If this is the case, is there somewhere I could find out who will be driving day-by-day?

Great new tweets service by the way, thanks!

P.S. Is there somewhere we can get live timing on the web for the tests?

Thanks, and sorry for the long, rambling post!

Hamilton will be driving on the 12th Feb and 18th Feb

1. Nathan Bradley says:

Cheers James, top class website and new tweets service, thanks!

2. CTP says:

On this note… why, with such limited running this year, would mclaren have gary paffett running today? seems to me like jenson should get the extra day to get up to speed with the new team, no?

20. Daniel says:

Excellent idea James.

21. Bradley Sargeant says:

Hi James,
    The f1 tweets is a great idea, awsome for keeping up with testing. I just noticed on a dutch site f1today.nl that there is testing listed at Silverstone on the 4th and 5th Feb. Do you if this is true and if so whos going to be there and is it worth going?

Thanks Brad

1. Bradley Sargeant says:

Ive just seen from your tweets page that Virgin will be there Thursday and Friday and Lotus on Friday.

Not in Valencia – the test ends Weds!

2. Bradley Sargeant says:

No, at Silverstone

22. PaulL says:

Hey James, nice work, you’ve really given F1 a unique interface with the fans and I heaps respect that.

One thing at a time, but I really wouldn’t mind an iPhone app sometime that gave us a news feed and the same ability to write comments – all in an iPhone screen friendly size. I’m sure one of your readers would be more than up to the task for an app that simple.

23. Jon Wilde says:

Excellent new service!! shame I can’t use it in work.

Is it just me or does the MGP W01 look a lot like the orginal A1GP car? (engine cover and air intake)

Looking forward to test times this afternoon

24. Alan Zechter says:

OK, that is pretty awesome! Love it!

25. John F says:

Cool!

I actually loathe Twitter. But in the form you presented it (filtering out all the meaningless babble and spam), I can see its value.

26. RocK says:

We need a JA iPhone app..

One thing at a time…!

27. Gareth says:

Brilliant James, thank you very much! Far, far less going to be achieved while at work now!

28. Nadeem Zreikat says:

Great idea James makes it easy for us to follow so much more in depth espeically during GP’s and pre season tests. Something so simple the FIA should be talking to you on marketing the sport.

Can’t wait for the season.

29. Javier Alonso says:

James, I´m really glad you did this.
    Do you think you can create a Twitter List with all the users you´re following (that have to do with F1, of course) so I can follow it from my BlackBerry? I would really love that since I´m a twitter user and I´m usually on the go, so it´s not convenient for me to access your website everytime.
    Thanks for the great feature and for giving us you´re great coverage of all things F1.

30. Thomas says:

Great service! I have something similar set up myself, but with your hand-picked tweets it got so much better:)

However, does it auto-update? I failed to find a button for this. Would it be possible to implement?

31. James B says:

this is great, can’t access twitter at work but this site works a charm to keep me up to date with the days events, james allen does it again!

32. Matthew Villari says:

what do you reckon of the mclaren diffuser James?

33. I’ve been playing around with it today and it’s very impressive. Like Twitter lists with the amp turned up to 11!

Great stuff James, thanks for providing the service…

34. Peter says:

Great idea James. See the BBC are doing something similar but no where near as in depth.

35. Érico says:

It all seems like a considerable load of work for the benefit of the fans. Thanks a lot.

36. Jo says:

James, this is absolutely fantastic. Brilliant! Thankyou so much!

37. Tom says:

Congratulations James, that’s brilliant, a much more attractive way that Twitter to present the latest news. You can be proud of your network of sources – I’ve discovered some great new ones this morning!

Just one question: how can I make the “live from Valencia” page update itself automatically?

We will go to auto-refresh in time, but for the moment we are monitoring the traffic loads so it doesn’t crash.

38. Hyperion says:

What a fantastic service James!

Really well thought out- and works really well.
    Others have said you can do this yourself on Twitter, but I find lists on Twitter quite cumbersome.

I love to have a window running JA on F1 Tweets in the background, checking up on it from time to time.

39. dren says:

Looks great James! Thanks, I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get info on the action at work today, but this solved it!

40. three4three says:

Hello James,
    This is genius! I am not a twitter-er and this has opened up a whole world of info without my having to actually join twitter (which I still don’t get) which is just fantastic, thank you very much!

41. Nick says:

The Twitter link works on iPhones (does on mine!)

42. Jim says:

First of all, this is a great service! Thank you James for making Twitter useful ;-)

If I may make a small suggestion: how about adding the time of day to the messages? It’s nice to see “6 minutes ago”, but when I refresh the page it’s difficult to find my place again! If they also had “13:11″ or whatever, it would be much easier.

43. Nick says:

Just a quick note for all iPhone users requesting an app

I have found that just opening this page in the safari browser opens the mobile version of the page which is fantastic for browsing blog entries and posting comments, also the twitter link does work through safari.

James, unfortunately for most of us we don’t have the luxury off getting paid to hang around f1 paddocks gossiping with the greats (though I’m sure we would all love too!) great reporting though one request, once the afternoon session is over can you post a list of drivers and times, can’t find a live update anywhere!

44. NA says:

Great idea! Very useful. Thanks a lot James.

45. Paul Mc says:

Congrats on the project its brilliant and for F1 fantatics its a great all in one resource. Its going to be fantastic come race time.

Sitting here waiting to see if Schumi can beat Rosbergs time :)

46. Stevie P says:

Ooooooooh it’s like comparethemeerkat… ;-)

So who’s doing the leg-work James… surely not you sir? You mean you’re filtering twitter, yourself, to say “yep, that’s relevant” and \ or “nope, that’s not relevant”.

Ah-ha… I see… “include “F1″ in the tweet or it gets filtered out” – well prepare to be bombarded by peeps putting “F1″ in their tweets!

Nice to be able to see the times coming up, within a tweet; rather than having to use some “dodgy” translator, that tells me “sweet bread has done a good time… a 10hrs 5mins”… wow, what a lap!!! ;-)

47. Ian Lawrence says:

Hello James,
    It’s a great idea and works really well. Is there any chance you will be adding an auto update feature to the site like twitterfall or the text service the BBC uses?

Keep up the good reporting.

Ian

48. theothercoldone says:

I commented earlier above (@5), but shall say that this is amazing stuff. I’ve deliberately limited my F1 info to your site, with occasional forays to ITV-f1.com, but now I can see that it will be difficult to contain myself! Keep up the great ideas, and the only thing I have to say from a couch potato’s viewpoint is – please keep it free!

49. Paige says:

Hmm…

While this may not mean anything because teams are running different fuel loads, I’d like to point out that DLR is setting some darned quick times in testing today.

Wouldn’t it be something if Sauber pulled off a “Brawn” this season?

50. Paige says:

Speaking of testing…

Can we expect an insider’s update on testing later today, James? ;)

51. peter says:

De La Rosa with a 1.12.778! Slight echos of Brawn GP last year? However unlike Brawn Gp last year I really do think this is low fuel runs by tge Sauber team just to attract sponsors.

52. Toastiejoe says:

Reaction so far? The idea is great, but the filtering not adequate. Already too many uncritical “Schumi’s faster!” tweets appearing. We need it boiled down to the meat….

53. Mike from Medellin, Colombia says:

James, I really like this..thanks for doing this. It will really help me to keep up to date from here in Colombia.

I am not a traditional twitter user and this is an excellent filter for relevant news.

Brilliant site…..I am surprised that you don’t charge for it.

Best wishes from Colombia.

54. Alexx says:

Great Work & Thanks Jimbo!

Excellent understanding of your audience!

55. John Speed says:

This is great James…

Now what about adding pictures and videos from fans, teams, media all in real time?

check out what we did for a Pro hockey team http://www.ottawa67shub.com

this would be incredible in F1!

Interesting. Thanks for that. We’ll discuss it.

56. Twafik says:

Hi James,

Very impressed with this idea; really quite good! Great website and excellent reporting.

Cheers!

57. Vinicius Antunes says:

This is the best service ever!

58. Michael says:

The JA site is the best F1 site on the web now. It’s the first site I visit and there’s always fantastic in depth analysis. Good work James. (Can you feel a ‘but’ coming?) :)

But this is a rubbish idea. Give it a month and see how few people are using it. For those that actually use Twitter and get the concept they are already following the various F1 feeds. Those that don’t get Twitter won’t get this and will be bored fairly quickly.

(And the fact that one has to manually refresh to get updated feeds makes this a doubly dead Dodo. If there is such a thing.

You’re the first one to be negative about it. And I’ve had lots of messages from people who aren’t Twitter users and love the idea of being able to access all this content in this way. Thanks for your comment anyway

2. three4three says:

Interesting you feel that way. I’m one of those you mention who don’t use twitter (not even been on the site) and I’m finding this new service to be massively helpful, indeed I’ve had a tab with the page open all day the last two days! Also, I don’t think I’ll get bored of it, it’ll be good during test/quali/race sessions too I imagine.

59. Ray says:

Awesome! I don’t tweet, so this is perfect. I feel like I’m there while I’m work. Thanks you!
    adamcooperf1 has some great pics. Very cool!

60. Noelinho says:

I’m not sure how useful that would be – the site is already optimised for the iPhone. Unless it contained new features, it wouldn’t add a whole lot.

61. Noelinho says:

That would be great to add once you’re confident the servers can handle it. Has been great to discover some new F1 Tweeters.

62. Bayan says:

Way off topic here i don’t know if this has been asked but i just saw the Mercedes car and it looks really good and fast. But i have a question. Aren’t the exhaust tips on the car violating the rules? Didn’t ferrari have to modify there exhausts last year cause everyone made a fuss about the aero impact they have? Please confirm.

Thanks James… also, love JA.Tweets.. keep up the great work..

63. Steven K says:

Hi James this was a top idea, hats off to you. Can we discuss the results of testing today. What were you overall thoughts. Mclaren fans seem to be a bit down about Paffet being 1 second off the pace but we can’t look to much into that can we? I mean he isn’t Lewis or Jenson and i expect Lewis to post some quick times tomorrow as they learn more from todays testing data.

Thanks

Steve

Be patient. It will take time to figure out where everyone is, but we will

64. Steve W says:

Thanks James, I used it today to keep up to date with the testing news and really like it. Don’t know if it’s because of the limited testing now, but don’t think I’ve ever followed an F1 testing session as closely as today! Its great that F1 2010 is under way!

65. Moohcowh says:

Is there any point in an actual Iphone app? Seems to me just a different stylesheet and some Ajax to reload the page in s nice way would suffice. That way lots of smartphones would be covered.

66. Aaron James says:

I absolutely LOVE this James!!

Someone give him a knighthood!

67. Nick says:

Am I the only one to notice Schumacher completed 40 laps while rosberg completed 39 I may be Reading to much into this but he did mention the total of 79 in an interview, the mind games may have already started

68. dans says:

Nice idea, will give it a go.

One thing so far, can you remove the yellow highlight from search results, makes it very annoying to read the text.

69. DK says:

James thanks for coming up with your F1 tweats, it is great. Ive never been into twitter but for an F1 fan what you have done makes perfect sence and is so hepfull, cheers.

Thanks for that. I’m pleased with the response

70. GP says:

Fantastic, James!

What you’re doing for the racing community and its fans is remarkable.

When one door closes another one opens. I wonder if you would have the time to do this if you were still doing the broadcast… ;-)

71. TommyB says:

What a fantastic idea!!! Great job James

72. Monika S says:

Nice work James, thank you so much!! I´m actually a twitter user and even though I “follow” a lot of recognized F1 pundits (including you, of course :-D), it is always welcome to have the news with your filter. Already in my bookmarked sites!!

Great start of the pre-season!! Cheers!

73. Daveofoz says:

Hi James,
    Great work mate… Thanks.
    One request: Is it possible to have this set up as an RSS feed (similar to your blog)?
    Thanks,
    D

74. Jon Wilde says:

So James, To celebrate the launch of your excellent new service when will you be launching a competition with your sponsor to win the sexy Silverstone watch displayed on the background of the site????? (SOON PLEASE!!)

75. Rahul Seth says:

Hi James,

My first thought of this website was why was it so special? It just looks like a collaboration of tweeters put by you.

It was then later I realised people were clicking on my blog tweets after your website picked that I was blogging on Twitter with hashtags.

Thank you so much for being a leading entrepreneur in F1 journalism. I dearly miss your commentary during the race. However your presence on your blog and Twitter have certainly made for your on air absence.

Cheers

Rahul

76. Frankie Allen says:

What an excellent feed, can’t thank you enough. Just a pity I can’t make much sense of what is really going on in terms of a winning car!

77. Robert George says:

James

This is excellent and I think, groundbreaking. I am not a twitter user. I was keeping an eye on the closing hour at Valencia today (presumably just the type of thing the Tweet site was invented for).I did not realise there were so many people at the track sending in comments and photos.

I look forward to the first Grand Prix when I will keep an eye on the comments (which I suspect will be more informative than the commentary at the official formula1.com live timings page).

My one request: for an automatic refresh every minute (especially on the main home page).

Congratulations and well done for taking your excellent site to another level.

We have to understand the traffic flows first and then we can activate auto refresh

78. Arale says:

Hi James, the idea’s great!
    As many your followers are in China (Where twitter is banned), I find my fellow Chinese gangs can still use the service. It is so hard for Chinese to follow the twitter so I am just wondering if you would like to share the plug-in you are using. (I assume you are using a WordPress Blog system judging from your site structure)

Thanks!

79. Ali says:

I’ve been following the Valencia test via your ‘Live at Valencia’ Twitter feed page and it’s brilliant.

As someone who doesn’t have a Twitter account (not really worth it if you don’t have an iPhone-type portable internet gizmo), that page is a godsend.

80. MichaelinBeijing says:

Dear Mr. Allen,

Not quite sure you will see this…but I wonder if anyone has suggested to add an auto-refresh function to the twitter page?

:-)

Yes we should have that soon. We wanted to understand the likely server loads first.

81. james bowie says:

has anyone heard the rumour that massa was visting the mercedes hq today?