F1 World Champion 2014
Lewis Hamilton
Piquet turns his back on F1
Piquet turns his back on F1
Posted By: James Allen  |  12 Jan 2010   |  6:28 pm GMT  |  96 comments

Nelson Piquet has decided to give up on F1 and pursue a career in the United States in one of the NASCAR series.

(Photo:Darren Heath)

(Photo:Darren Heath)

The Brazilian was at the centre of the Singapore crash fixing scandal which resulted in Renault team boss Flavio Briatore and director of engineering Pat Symonds being banned from the sport by the FIA. Last week those bans were overturned by a Paris court, but the FIA has given notice of appeal.

Throughout all of this Piquet received no punishment, as he was granted immunity from prosecution by the FIA in return for spilling the beans on what happened. Briatore’s lawyer has indicated that he may sue Piquet and his father Nelson Sr over the matter. Former FIA president Max Mosley has indicated that he believes that the Piquets may counter sue Briatore.

Clearly Nelson Jr has found most doors in F1 closed to him after admitting he deliberately crashed and by the way he behaved over the matter. He tested for Red Horse Racing in the Camping World truck series part of the NASCAR programme and may race there this year.

“I have spent the last few months carefully evaluating my options for this year,” he said on his website. I had to choose a path and it was a difficult decision to make.

“Being successful in Formula One was always my goal but I have learnt that happiness is just as important as ambition and after my first 18 months in F1 did not go as planned I have decided to focus on something different and have chosen to take a route in America.”

1. MIKE LEA says:

I don’t think Piquet has any future in F1 after what he did. Even without the controversy over Crashgate, he simply didn’t perform at the highest level and I doubt whether he would have found a drive anyhow. I don’t expect big things of him in NASCAR…

1. JF says:

I agree with this comment entirely. I wonder if NASCAR knows he has chosen them.

1. Gemma says:

Just because your father is an amazing f1 driver, dosn’t mean his money and connections will make u one too. He dosn’t have the ‘drive’ or raw ambition to succeed in NASCAR neither.
        Loving the blog James, i really hope you jump ship to the BBC to comentate once more?! I miss your partnership and shared wisdom with Martin Brundle!

2. I just cannot imagine him being overly popular with US fans, but in saying that he will not be in the Sprint Cup Series.
        He will need to do at least some ARCA or Nationwide first, otherwise he’ll struggle to even qualify for races…

2. Scott Bloom says:

I question why any NASCAR team would consider a driver with this kind of blemish on his record. Of course, Nelsinho pretty much bought his way into racing in any event (thanks Dad!), and probably can do so again. His talent was never better than average, and while he probably will adapt to the wheel-banging American style of driving, this is a clear concession that F1 is closed to him.

1. Kedar says:

Well, for one he is a Brazilian with a famous surname, The Nascar audience may be made to think that he was a victim of the scandal and Crashes in American motor racing is always more spectacular and Fatal quite often.
      He may even do well in Nascar as its a totally different series and its not necessary that someone good F1 is good elsewhere or vice versa
      eg:
      Sebastian Bourdais
      Christiano da Matta
      Alex Zanardi
      even our beloved Kobayashi

2. Homer says:

hey in nascar they like crashes…

1. Scott Bloom says:

Homer/Kedar:

NASCAR fans might like crashes, but a crash in NASCAR can take out half the field. That is the nature of oval racing. The key thing to running at the front in NASCAR is to have the trust of those around you. Nelson will never have that trust. NASCAR is a very close-knit fraternity, and ALL of the drivers watch F1 very closely. He will not fit in.

3. Nick F says:

Did Piquet give up on F1 or did F1 give up on him?

..I would suggest the latter. It’s not a difficult decision to leave F1 if you have no prospect of ever being employed.

I suppose in a few years time maybe people won’t feel so strongly about the whole thing and he might be able to come back…….but I doubt it. You don’t go from NASCAR to F1, and by that time there will be a whole load of new drivers from GP2 who want their shot. So game over for Piquet.

4. artorwar says:

Dont let the door hit you in the a**e on the way out Nelson.

1. Michael C says:

ha ha – nice one

5. MuddyMatt says:

Well, with a headline like that it’s easy to be prompted into saying that perhaps F1 has turned its back on Piquet?

All in all a sordid episode in F1′s history although I see it with mixed feelings. First, Jnr is ultimately a very privileged person with a secure financial background and he managed to compete in F1, which most of us would kill for.

Second, he’s not lacking in talent and should be able to make his way elsewhere. Perhaps he deserves to – it’s not easy living up to your Dad’s dreams for you regardless of who you are. And if that dream is F1 World Champion, well there’s pressure for you.

Ultimately one of F1s pawns who’s paid a high price despite ‘immunity’ from prosecution. Mosley would have had no doubt that his career was over anyway when he offered that immunity.

I know people denounce him as a cheat but it’s easy to do that after the event. And with all the evidence of Lie-gate, Spy-gate and all the other incidents of people trying to get the upper hand in F1, he’s hardly unique in that regard.

F1 is about winning. Sometimes, you lose.

6. James says:

Great story James (as usual I might add), but I think you missed a story between the one on the Piquet’s and the one on Mclaren reshuffling their engineering department – that would be the story about Alonso in Red for the first time – WOW is all I can say. Perhaps you’re preparing a huge story with pic’s to boot, and it’s taking a while? Please let us know

1. adam says:

You get excited with somebody putting on a red uniform ?
      I think your on the wrong type of blog !

2. Stephen Kellett JAF1 says:

It was a non-story. The pics on Joe Saward’s blog say it all. They all look really p**ed off, dressed in Ferrari gear in a ski resort.

None of them look pleased to be there.

What is WOW about that?

Other than “Wow, all three of them look p**ed off!”.

Agreed. The real story from Ferrari starts today and into the next two days, when Domenicali and then the drivers speak.

7. Tarek says:

Goodbye to Piquet and good riddance. He never belonged in F1; the only reason he drove for Renault was his surname. He joins that other loser Montoya in Nascar and in the dump heap of F1 history. Piquet’s level of arrogance is unmatched. He thought he could return to the sport after doing what he did in Singapore last year, and after demonstrating his complete inability to compete in F1? He’s certainly among the worst drivers of the past decade, and probably in F1 history as well.

1. dans says:

It must of been some other Piquet that hassled Lewis all the way to the last race in GP2.

End of the day, hes a kid who got caught up in Briatores twisted ways and paid a price.

2. Chris says:

How on Earth you can call Juan Pablo Montoya a loser, or even mention him in relation to Nelson Piquet, is bizarre

I agree – not comparable

3. Neil says:

I think your post loses credability when you lump Montoya in with Piquet.

Montoya won races for 2 different teams, and was in the top 10 drivers of the decade (on this site). In fact, we rated him the second best driver in the decade who didn’t win a championship ;-)

Incidentally, if you think Piquet was worst in F1 history, you ain’t been about long :-) There are some real howlers if you go back to the early 90′s and late 80′s. If you fancy a real laugh, spend a bit of time surfing for Simtek et al.

Neil.

1. Tarek says:

I said he’s one of the worst, not THE worst. Of course drivers like Alex Yoong and Yuji Ide, to name only two recent examples, were worse.

4. True Blue says:

A bit unfair on Montoya perhaps he did after all win races

1. krad says:

Technically all the F1 drivers out there are losers as not even Schumacher has a 100% record. However it would be silly to call him and a whole other bunch of drivers loosers, and that includes JPM.

5. Tim L says:

“other loser Montoya”….so YOU consider JP a loser…and in the category as NP…lets see if you can answer this.

1. Tarek says:

Not in the same category but a loser nevertheless. :)

2. Renn Sport says:

Montoya is really culpable for turning his back on F1. He left when he should have stayed and let his talent do the talking…

How could you JPM??

We lost his talent in F1.
        He lost because he’s wasted his talent driving a fat truck!

Its such a bloomin shame. A waste of a real racing talent.

BTW: I saw NPJ race at Brands first A1GP, which he won and see clearly he has talent. Its a shame NPJ, PS and Flabbio had to cheat us all.

6. Stephen Kellett JAF1 says:

You said everything I was going to say. Excellent. Good riddance indeed.

8. Lalit says:

Not surprising.

Who would want a team member who first takes part is such scandals, and then takes his team mates down for personal agenda.

F1 is very much a team sport.

9. Don in Calgary says:

Why focus on this tale of woe when there are so many other pressing F1 stories out there? Whither USF1? Who owns Campos-Meta? Will 26 cars take the start in Bahrein? Will Cosworth engines be competitive? Is Lewis crying over his missing pussy cat? Okay, the last one is just plain silly. Sorry.

10. Uppili says:

or was it the other way around?

11. Andy says:

I am not sure of any F1 team worth it’s salt would touch him. I can not say that I noticed him having any talent of F1 worth. If someone can turn their back on F1 is they say it is their dream, that does just not ring true. If it is not your dream then you should never belong.

I think that it is an issue for people who are trying to live up to what daddy can do… you ain’t your dad find your own dream.

12. Seisteve says:

The one thing that sticks about this whole Singapore episode is that Piquet got immunity but actually he didn’t… he got tarred with the same brush.

If we read this right… Piquet should never have suggested it, Symonds should have nipped it in the bud and Briatore should have stopped piquet getting in the car after the first hint of the plan was mentioned.

They all got what they diserved and mostly become none of them did there job right and cross the line where you normally stop when asked “What would you do to win a race?”

Personally I think Briatore is going to win the eventual battle because a Life sentence is too much for a major laps in judgement but he deserved to leave F1 with his behavour in the breakaway fiasco.

Bottom line they are all gone and should be welcomed back only when their sentence have passed and been completed. Bye Bye Boys…

13. Hephaestus says:

What did he expect? Can a bank employee, whatever their position, who has admitted to embezzlement genuinely believe that they can still work in that particular area again just because they are whistle blower? He was the one driving the car. He would have got much more support had he refused carry out with the plan & came forward although I think his carreer was doomed anyway from the moment that plot was brought to him.

14. Jon says:

This doesn’t come as a surprise at all. Who in their right mind would have wanted to employ him ever again? It would have been a more interesting story if it had been a top line driver who had crashed deliberately, someone who was talented and in demand from several teams – but Piquet clearly wasn’t. And any top driver worth his salt would not have carried out such a reckless act anyhow – the whole thing was clearly done in desperation to attempt to save a career that was heading nowhere pretty much from day one. Let’s hope the whole incident can now be consigned to the past.

15. Freespeech says:

He’ll be back in F1 after al he has no stain on his name, so says the law according to Mosley’s FIA :!:

16. Nick says:

Its an interesting move, and one i suspect is fuelled by the lack of any other drive, be it f1 or not.

I dont expect he will do anything in Nascar. I followed it for the first time in years last season (Sprint Cup) ands it was great to see JP finally showing he can cut it at the pointy end out there.

With all but 2 events being oval tracks in one form or another in the sprint cup(I dont know what camping world or nationwide calenders are like) I think he will suffer. JPM had ChampCar history and he found it tough and as much as Tarek would like to bash him he is still a good driver. Nelson, is.. well… lets just say he didnt get his time to shine. But this culture of grooming youngsters too early is another story…

All I know is Dario (Current Indycar Champ) and JV failed big time in Nascar so I really really dont like his chances. Its a much much much more competitive world that we outside the US give it credit for, its so much more than just turning left as most like to put it.

1. CarlitosF1 says:

Yes indeed, no other drive available for this guy in Europe at least. If he can still continue any racing career at all in NASCAR it definitely has a lot to do with how mentally far are NASCAR people from F1 and european motorsports. But I bet this guy has banned himself not only form F1, but also from DTM, WTCC, GP2, FIA GT, ETCC, LeMans, VLN… You name it!!!

1. Nick says:

I hate to cast all of Nascar with the same brush, but from what I undersand the fact NPJ was prepared to do what he did is practically a positive thing to put on his CV when applying for seats or “rides” out there.

After the scandle basically all Nascar coverage I saw where “experts” were asked if this kind of thing happens in Nascar, responses ranged from “its a yearly occurence” to just sly smiles. There was no denial. As much as I like Nascar nobody can say that its not overly engineered to perform as a spectical, when races get boring they bring out the saftey car and claim debris on the track or something similar. Even on road course races they bring out the saftey car for the slightest touch even if its not actually needed (they dont have the concept of local yellows). At the end of the day though.. it makes good viewing.. if a little bit Hollywood. Anyway thats well of subject now so ill keep it quiet!

17. Jeff Pappone says:

Not sure if Nelson turned his back on F1. Perhaps it was the other way around?

Nevertheless, should Nelson want to learn all about deliberate crashes, he’s going to the right place.

Now, I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that Nelson might have some trouble fitting in with the good ol’ crowd. Remember that the NASCAR boys gave Juan Pablo Montoya an exceedingly hard time and they actually liked him!!

My guess is that Nelson may spend much of his NASCAR career getting familiar with the term “being wrecked.”

Good point Jeff. Thanks

18. Budvar says:

I am sure the good ‘ol boys in Nascar will take well to an effete, pretty boy, cheating, ex-F1, rich kid. They are welcome to him.

19. David Hewitt says:

Nice choice of photo, looks like a real NASCAR driver already.

20. John F says:

He won’t be missed … nor will his dad.

21. Alexis says:

He won’t be missed.

He was slow, unconsistent and prone to mistakes.

Then add stupid to the list by crashing on purpose AND THEN shooting himself in the foot by whistleblowing in an ill conceived act of revenge.

If he’d just kept his mouth shut he could have been driving for somebody this year. Kovalainen certainly showed a year of abysmal performances don’t have to mean the end of the road.

22. eddyr says:

Byeeeeeeeeeee. I genuinely felt a little sorry for him in the run up to his ousting – certainly, he wasn’t up there in terms of performance, but conversely he was quite obviously given a hard time.
    Then the crash came out- and any feelings of (admittedly slight) sympathy were out of the window. Spoilt brat can now get on with it wherever he likes, won’t be watching!

23. dave says:

Probably a good thing as the excitement only gets going in NASCAR when there’s an accident.

24. F1ART says:

Should be a sure fit for NASCAR, what with all that crashing into walls that goes on over there!

25. Olivier says:

I truly wish him well in his pursuit to happiness. He was in the wrong team with a wrong car and the wrong team mate. No one cared, really.

However, never say never in F1!

Who could’ve imagined …

1. Button a world champion
    2. Schumacher leaving Ferrari
    3. Alonso joining Ferrari
    4. Brawn a constructor’s champion
    5. Mercedes leaving McLaren
    6. STR winning Monza on merit
    7. Michael’s comeback

F1 is full of miracles it seems :) Michael VIII is in the offing!

26. Neil says:

Interesting how people react to Piquet. Just to play devil’s advocate…

Firstly on the immunity. Everyone thinks it’s bad, and leaves a nasty taste. Fine. But what’s the option? Without it, we would never have uncovered the truth about CrashGate. I’m sure a few close engineers and journalists knew all along, but couldn’t publish without evidence for fear of being sued. Would it be better if the secret was kept, and eg Briatore was still running a team? I’d argue it would be even worse…

Of course, the mysterious “witness X” also got immunity and is still working in F1, as far as we know…

Secondly, many people don’t rate him as a driver. I have to point out that Alonso did. (See his quote – reproduced in a blog entry on this website last September.) Alonso thought he had talent, but needed a more supportive environment than Renault or F1 in general. I have to acknowledge that Alonso probably knows more about F1 talent then me ;-)

Neil.

1. Williams4Ever says:

Right Said Neil!!!
      One sane voice, amidst all flame throwers

27. Malcolm46 says:

Good riddance I say. He did nothing in F1, he was always miserable, and moaning whilst driving slowly, and then Singapore.

I cant imagine any F1 team will ever go near him again with a barge pole as no sponsor will ever want to be associated with him again.

I dont want to go into a rant, but, does he really think he deserves another chance in F1 after what he did, whether he was forced to or not, he put peoples lives at risk for himself. Plus he was hopelessly slow…

28. Gilraen says:

Normally I try (doesn’t work all the time :-)) to avoid disqualifying people. But in the case of Piquet minimus (c Dr. Mike Lawrence) I have to admit that I’m surprised he has an opportunity to race in any series at all. Others have violated F1 rules (written or unwritten) to a great extend too (one of them just out of retirement, let’s not forget about that/him). But I have to admit that not even the ex retired driver has ever went as far as Nelson’s offense, although the Monaco parking came close. Nelson should not be able to race in an official race series again imho.

29. Chris Bird says:

I am staggered by the arrogance of the Piquets press release. He infers that his move to Nascar is his choice. This guy must live on planet Piquet.
    Lets be clear:
    1 – You do not have the talent to compete at the front in F1.
    2 – Nobody in F1 will employ you after the whole crashgate saga (despite the money that daddy brings)
    3 – You are only going to Nascar because you daddy is buying you a seat
    I suspect the next press release we will hear from Planet Piquet is that his father is suing some ‘Good old boy’ from Nascar because his precious son keeps getting put in the wall.
    As a Brit, now living in the US, I regularly watch Nascar and the level of driving talent is very high and the cars/trucks very difficult master (Just ask Montoya). I look forward to seeing Piquet in his usual position this year i.e eons slower than his team mates and/or leaving the crumpled mess of a racing car after another crash.
    Face it Jr, you are not good enough of driver and you are a cheat…Go home!

30. Gavin says:

How hilarious that he is making out like he is deciding he doesn’t want F1 – it’s the other way around! I bet if a team called him he’d jump at it – but as if that would ever happen now. What a twit.

31. Kent Paul says:

He looks hot in that picture

32. Kav says:

Good riddance.

I think he would have done much better in a better environment but he wiped out that chance by making revenge against Briatore a priority rather than try and focus on reviving his career at a new team.

If Briatore was that awful to work for, he should have gone Toro Rosso this year and try to improve his damaged reputation from 2008. Who would want someone who is not only willing to cheat, but also try and punish you just for being dropped?

33. Shane says:

Piquet turned his back on f1 the day the whole sorry crash into a wall on purpose thing came about. In what ever way that happened.

34. Andy says:

Tarek, offensive quotes like calling montoya a loser are just plain wrong. Ask anybody in the know and I don’t think you’ll find much support on that one.

Anyway, back to the actual topic. Nobody in their right minds in f1 will give piquet a drive, given the reputational risk the name piqué jnr carries.

James, do you know jnr and were you surprised when the truth came out (ie did the pressure get to him as he was underperforming. Not condoning what he did at all by the way!

Yes and no it didn’t surprise me, but I was surprised by the way it came out

2. Tarek says:

I knew I would receive a great deal of negative responses on the Montoya issue. :) The fact is I like to provoke Montoya fans, and yes, even though he was a very good talent, he was a loser because, in the final analysis, he did not fulfill his promise, and stupidly lost the 2003 championship when he had the best car and was supposed to win. Then he quits, blaming the politics and generally negative environment within the sport, rather than his own realization that he could never cope with Kimi or ever launch a successful title bid. Not a loser? Guess again. :)

35. Carlos says:

I’m actually surprised. I thought he would be picked up by a new team looking for a ‘safe,’ if unspectacular driver. He would’ve been less risky than some of the drivers who’ll be on the grid, and he probably would’ve come with financial backing, too.

36. P Byrne says:

Tarek is a bit off the mark…

One of the worst drivers in F1 history? Nah,a bit OTTI think!

I think there was speed and talent there, just maybe not enough…

Plus he was born with things too easy – money, fame, contacts, good looks… How could he have the grit of an Alonso or a Hamilton?

37. john says:

While stockcar competitors don’t look upon cheating any better than F1 teams (in fact probably worse), the economy is hitting NASCAR teams very hard, doors closing, teams consolidating, sponsors disappearing… And Nelson brings the cash. Sadly, he could find himself in a truck or car, and maybe even a competitive one.

38. Carlm21 says:

I can’t see him in formula one ever again. Formula one won’t miss him, he was made to look pretty average. In the US Piquet will probably win races as the standard is no way near the level formula 1. Formula 1 is the pinacle of motorsport, it gets no better than this!

39. Darren says:

What he did sucked and was wrong in so many ways, BUT we all have to look at the real person behind this, Flabby. In my early days of work I was bullied to the point of a nervous break down by an individual with the same attitude as F.B “you cross me son and you will never work again” attitude comes to mind.
    Let give the lad remember he is young and his dreams have been shit on because of F.B

P.s it took me 2 years to get well and move on, and the manager in question ended up getting the sack.

40. Antoine says:

Seems a slight co-incidence just as Flavio gets cleared (for the time being at least)………..

41. guy says:

Good riddance… He was such a whiner. Piquet Jr. is as dislikable as Mansell was likable!

42. Eric Weinraub says:

I won’t diminish the rep of Pedro Dinitz by comparing them…. but money has always provided space on the grid with someone. As long as there are drivers who’s role is to pay the bills and fill the numbers drivers like Nelshino will have jobs.

43. F1 Kitteh says:

Nice for him to find something that values his ‘skill set’.

44. Tony Vigna says:

Goodbye

45. dulait says:

Roughly translated as:

I’m not good enough for formula 1 and never was. Now that I’ve confessed that I’m a cheat into the bargain, who in their right mind would touch me? Time to race in a series commensurate with my talent level.

46. Malcom says:

One of Nelson’s worst enemies was himself, because of the amount of pressure that he had applied to himself. Still his performance in F1 was sorely lacking, and his future really isn’t NASCAR, but probably lies in Brazilian Touring Cars.

47. Stickman says:

Piquet failed in F1. What he did was a desperate move to retain his drive. Perhaps understandable; a secret he should have kept to himself. Ratting on his team after he complied is not acceptable in my books. I doubt he will ever have the respect of his peers regardless of which categorey he races. A drive in trucks, big deal- best he could get. Money talks.

48. Nico says:

Good Riddance.

49. Jeroen says:

I can’t say I’m going to miss him. Flashes of promise were thin on the ground, and his mistakes and the scandal in the end turned his f1 career sour very quickly.

50. F1Community says:

I’m glad this ugly chapter in the Formula One history is finally over; I was afraid someone would actually be very brave and hire this cheater.

Sean

1. John F says:

Piquet Jr. may be out, but I doubt that this Chapter is closed – far from it …

1. F1Community says:

That’s true; we still have Briatore in the frame, but honestly think that Piquet could have said no and game over since the beginning.

51. Tony G says:

Well he proved in Singapore in 2008 that he knows how to turn left. That experience should put him in good stead as he’ll have more close encounters of the concrete kind in NASCAR.

52. It seems a bit odd that he has gone to NASCAR – has he been that outcast from F1 that no other European-based motorsport will take him?

On that subject, if he feels he has to go stateside, why not go into IndyCars? I would have thought that would have been an easier fit?

If the exceptionally talented Montoya struggled to get going in NASCAR, I fail to see how Piquet will be able to hold his own…

1. Spyros says:

Hmm… european motorsport… somewhere that crashing isn’t a problem…

BTCC? :D

53. Pablo says:

I don’t think he should be aloud to race again, he should have never been given immunity

54. Spyros says:

I don’t think the Piquets will be missed. It is nice to know F1 teams don’t want to touch them, but like others, I suspect it has more to do with on-track performance than anything else.

The real ‘morality’ test for the teams will come if/when Briatore and Symonds actually come back…

55. Olivier says:

1. F1 has turned his back to Sebastian Bourdais too. I cannot believe Algers…whatever was that much better than Bourdais. Bourdais, being a multiple champion, should deserve another chance with Renault!

2. I think only Kimi and Montoya have turned their backs to F1.

56. PaulL says:

I make an important distinction when remembering crashgate.

Piquet volunteered it, he was not a victim of hapless request from either Briatore or Symonds.

Perhaps he better off offering his crash services to NASCAR fans where it’s appreciated.

57. Bill Nuttall says:

I don’t know how it works in other countries, but here in England when an international footballer is no longer being picked for the national squad on a regular basis they quite often hold a press conference to announce that they are ‘retiring from international football’. In other words they are trying to put some gloss on the fact that they’ve been dropped and their career is over. It’s wonderfully childish behaviour that we have to come to expect of such overpaid stars.

Piquet Jr’s statement sounds eerily similar to me.

58. Jack Tors says:

Good Riddance

59. Young Slinger says:

Byeeee

60. ashley edwards says:

people wont like him for what he did and people called him a crap driver but look at Grosjean who has done a even worse job than Piquet

1. In fairness, all of the replacement drivers have done worse than the guys they have replaced. I am doing a summary of 2009 using the official FIA stats on my blog and no matter what way you cut it, they did worse:

I would argue that the lack of in-season testing is a factor in this…

61. Hephaestus says:

One think I don’t quite comprehend though. Before Piquet crashed, for it to work, he probably needed some sort of ‘go ahead’ which would involve engineers, strategist & certainly briatore. Besides, how could a driver of alonso experience and temper not question the strategy on a track where overtaking is almost impossible? As for Picket, he doesn’t deserve to come back to the sport. But in my opinion, michael schumacher did pretty much the same when he deliberatelly crashed into hill or villeneuve. Not to mention his move in monaco to prevent alonso from getting pole. He too cheated put lives at risk. The difference being that it was to his own advantage. However he’s still regarded as the greatest of the decade and greated with open arms to f1. If picket move had brought him a WDC may be he would have got a drive in f1. That’s how things work in f1 unfortunatelly.

62. The Limit says:

I think young Nelson has jumped from the frying pan and into the fire on this one. Of the five open wheel drivers in the last four years who have driven in NASCAR, only Montoya has achieved any considerable success. The list of drivers is impressive, including one former F1 champion in Jacques Villeneuve. Others include multiple IRL champions Sam Hornish Jnr and Scotland’s Dario Franchitti, Franchitti left following lack of sponsorship and injuries sustained in a crash. The other is Scott Speed, whose career in F1 was brief and who has faired even worse since racing stock cars. It is a harsh enviroment, a very different sport from F1.
    I agree that the Piquet name certainly helped young Nelson in the beginning, but in America, that will count for nothing. His father achieved great things in F1 over twenty years ago, winning as many championships as Aryton Senna. He too, tried his hand at oval racing, a decision that could have easily killed him. Close to eighteen years ago, whilst practicing for the Indy 500, Nelson Snr lost control of his IRL car at well over 200mph. The resulting huge impact with the wall crushed the Brazilian’s legs so badly, at first there was concern that he would not be able to walk again. Thankfully, that was not the case.
    In many ways, the achievements that Nelson Snr attained were sullied forever by the actions of his son and those guilty parties’ within the Renault team. That is a stigma that will not disappear easily. The Crashgate saga did recieve some considerable airtime on American tv in 2009, and although the spotlight was not as great as elsewhere, it was noticeable.
    Montoya’s aggressive style has helped him in NASCAR. He is not afraid to put famous stock car drivers in their place, most recently Tony Stewart two months ago in Miami. That, depending on your point of view, hindered Juan during his years in F1. It certainly won him many fans, but it also garnered many penalties and many on track enemies.
    The American dream may seem nice for now, but when Nelson Jnr finds himself among forty other cars doing 190mph, it may not seem so appealing. Unless you Juan Montoya that is!

63. canon1753 says:

First, NASCAR may give Nelson the benefit of the doubt, until he becomes a hazard on track or the money runs out. Outside a road course, I’d be surprised if he makes too much noise this year. Next year, maybe. It will depend on who he runs for.

Second, there is a bit more to NASCAR than crashing and turning left.

Finally, I’ll be interested how serious this attempt is. If its a ridebuy, Nelson’s waiting for an F1 deal. If he gets the ride on merit or they put real money in it, they maybe in it for the long haul.

64. Barry says:

Like i’ve said previously on other blog entries, I don’t know how he hasn’t been given a life ban for what he did, his actions were far worse than Flavio’s. I find it amazing anyone with the facts would employ this person in any race driver capacity ever again.

65. Peloponeso says:

Piquet Jr – 19 pts in his first time in F1.
    Piquet Sr – 04 pts in his first time in F1.

He’s a very good drive but, unfortunatelly, met the bloody Briatore boss in his way. So… you know.

Sorry guys.