How the West was F1
Austin 2014
US Grand Prix
Dennis comes out of the shadows fighting
McLaren Mercedes
Dennis comes out of the shadows fighting
Posted By: James Allen  |  03 Jan 2010   |  1:31 pm GMT  |  102 comments

Ron Dennis has emerged from the shadows into which he retreated last season after the Melbourne lie-gate scandal. And he has some strong things to say about what he considers unfair treatment at the hands of peers and particularly, without naming him, former FIA president Max Mosley. He also talks about his obsessive behaviour and his new life as a man about town in London.

Picture 62
The main thrust of what he has to say regarding the reasons behind his exile from F1, after 30 years of pursuing greatness, is the fact that he feels he has paid a very high price for following his beliefs,
‘[Spygate] was a minor indiscretion by junior members of the organisation that got amplified into a bigger issue,’ he said, in an interview with Esquire magazine, picked up by the Mail on Sunday. “It wasn’t the way it was portrayed. As always, with the passing of time, the truth will come out.

“The bit I don’t like is when people damage the reputation of this company for reasons that have their roots in issues that relate to how fiercely I’ve fought for what I believe to be right for Formula One and McLaren. Sometimes it’s a price you wish you didn’t have to pay, but it is.

“I can’t look at F1 without tremendous fondness, it’s given me a great life,’ he says. “But I find the judgmental behaviour frustrating.

“You write down the names of all the team principals from the past 10 years and how many have won more than five races? It’s a short list. Throw some other queries at that and you’ll realise performance requires total dedication. You pay for that dedication because people misunderstand your personality and motives. That’s the price you pay, but I sleep easy.”

He does not appear to be indicating that, at 62 years of age, he plans a return to frontline F1 action any time soon, but he is definitely active in the background, especially now that McLaren is independent again after Mercedes split away from them.

Dennis is famous for having an obsessive attention to detail and he explains some of the background reasons for that,
“I used to go to bed with the vacuum cleaner going because my mum wanted the house immaculate when she got up. That’s the ethos I grew up with, everything had to be perfect all the time. That’s why I am such a pain to live with. I don’t want chaos; my homes are my tranquillity bases.”

This last phrase is classic Dennis.

He also reflects on his painful divorce from his wife of 22 years Lisa, with whom he has three children. Apparently Dennis has bought a home in London and is enjoying life,
“I’ve changed my life and I’ve been helped back into a social circle which didn’t see me as some poor old wrinkly stood in a nightclub, but more out there enjoying life.

“My priority is still my kids, but when my kids are out doing stuff I go out and do stuff, too.”

The timing of this interview is interesting. It comes out at a time when the Queen is dishing out New Year’s honours to Britain’s achievers; Jenson Button gets an MBE and Ross Brawn the slightly more prestigious OBE. Personally I think Brawn has done enough to deserve a knighthood, winning eight F1 world championships and almost 100 Grands Prix as a technical director with three different teams, including his own. That stacks up pretty well against Sir Clive Woodward who won one Rugby World Cup.

With his even more significant achievements in the sport, Dennis was surely on target for a knighthood before the Spygate and Liegate affairs blew up so massively. There are many in F1 who feel that the two things might not be entirely unrelated..

Featured Video
JensonTrialthlon
Sign up for Jenson’s Triathlon today!
Featured News in mclaren
MORE FROM McLaren
LATEST FROM THE MCLAREN MERCEDES COMMUNITY
  1. Great read James. Thanks!

1. Freespeech says:

Hear hear :)

1. gary green says:

well, being just a piker from the colonies, i say good on Ron. you deserve a knighthood along with other British luminaries. long live Queen,King,Country & F1. can’t wait for the new season, along with a few mates here in the US. let’s get on with it. thanks james. cheers,g

2. Martin says:

James, a piker is someone who bales out of a situation. Being an engineer, not a linguist, I won’t claim certainty on the origin. However, start with a political backflip. A really big policy reversal is a double backflip with pike. Therefore a person who dives off the ship rather than fights the pirates is a piker. As an Australian, I wouldn’t link piker with traitor, which is what I think Gary is suggesting. Which leads to the knighthood/OBE point. Brawn helped the Italians to six constructors titles and now is leading the German charge. Don’t mention the war…

I have a suggested topic and interview for you that relates to Ron Dennis and an earlier question on mine on Alonso being the best driver. I think an interesting topic would be ask Ron (or similarly Frank Williams and Patrick Head) how his process of selecting drivers changed from the 1980s to now (Kovalainen).

For example, what did Ron really know about Stefan Johansson? He’d beaten Alboreto in the championship, but was it really gut feel? Did Coulthard last nine seasons in part because it now takes so long to integrate a new driver into a team? Off the record you for your background you might learn more about the expectations for Kovalainen based on his 2007 performances. How much more input do the backroom guys have on the driver selection now?

2. Simon Ward says:

Very interesting to hear him emerge once again. Was the breakaway from Mercedes the motive behind his stepping down, a goal for the year where he was best to orchestrate behind the scenes?

You’re spot on about Ross Brawn, my first instinct was that his name was printed in the wrong column! Ian McGeechan may be a worthy recipient, but more than Brawn? Please. Well it took many years of campaigning for Sir Jackie to receive the honour…

1. Freespeech says:

Yes Ross deserves a Knighthood but so does Ron Dennis and it’s a crime he hasn’t already received one.
      What Max Mosey did and allowed to do is criminal and shame on the other team principles for allowing it to happen.
      I’d back a campaign for Ron to receive a Knighthood, any chance James you could give us a voice :?:

1. Martin P says:

You don’t need James to give you a voice, you already have one of your own. In fact, orchestrated campaigns are more likely to fail and defer any consideration for an Honour (look at Brucie).

The simplest and most effective way is to write to your MP. That’s how most people, including sports stars, get nominated…. although it’s usually better if you and they actually live in the MP’s constituency.

2. Martin P says:

Oh I forgot to add… I think there’s a minimum time period between receiving one and being considered for an “upgrade”, usually a couple of years at least. Just time for Ross and Ron to add another World Championship each.

3. melonfarmer says:

Don’t worry Ron, the New Year/birthday honours don’t actually mean anything now in Johnny Major’s classless Britain. Order of the “British Empire” anyone? Folks that dedicate their lives to worthy causes are the deserving receipiants.

Jon Snow (of Channel 4 news fame) had the right idea refusing one. They lose all meaning when people like Sean Connery and Mick Jagger “let it be known” that they would “accept” a knighthood…

4. Jason Coles says:

Dennis describes the people involved in the McLaren spygate as ‘junior members’ of the team. Considering it involved Mike Coughlan, Chief Designer and Fernando Alonso I don’t think Ron can sweep it under the carpet so easily. As Captain of the ship, he deserved to go down over Spygate.

1. rpaco says:

Uncle Ron is just as creative with the truth as Max. If his drivers and chief designer are junior members who does he rate as being important???

2. PaulL says:

I have to agree.

In addition, what I didn’t feel pertained to “minor indiscretion” was the part where it appeared McLaren tried to port Ferrari-inspired ideas into the 2008 car. There were many elements they were asked to put a moratorium on development with and to save themselves they complied.

What also wasn’t “minor” was the test driver illegitimately seeking information from the 900 page dossier via Coughlan and explicating the fact that he intended to research the usefulness of such info in the simulator.

I can’t make a case for Ron’s integrity here.

3. Martin Collyer says:

Unfortunately Jason, you’re right, the captain has to take responsibility.

It’s worth bearing in mind though that once Alonso let it be known that he had evidence (emails wasn’t it?), that Stepney had been passing Ferrari information to Coughlan, it was Dennis and Whitmarsh who insisted that Mosley should be informed. In fact, if I remember correctly, it was Dennis and Whitmarsh who went directly to Mosley to report what Alonso had told them.

Then consider the $100 million fine. Nigel Roebuck in Autosport, I think it was, asked how that made sense compared to the much smaller sum (sorry but I forget the numbers)that Railtrack/railway companies were fined for being responsible for rail crashes that caused great loss of life.

It seems that not everyone at McLaren had the same standards as Ron, Ron’s problem was that he didn’t realise that.

4. bond007 says:

so u really think lead driver and chief designer are “junior members”? …..oh my god…. i dont understand this?….. one day you mclewis team’s supporters will say Alonso is responsible for credit crunch too :o …..

5. Robert says:

Whereas I agree that spygate was a nasty, messy affaire, I think that to write Ron off as Captain of the ship, and wave goodbye, is to do his body of work for F1 a huge disservice. When you consider his contributions over the last forty odd years to Formula 1 specifically, and racing in general,it owes Ron a tremendous debt of gratitude. I remember being at Thruxton in the early ’70′s and seeing Jochen Rindt driving a beautifully prepared F2 Brabham that Ron and his then partner put together. To see where he went from such humble origins to where he is today is quite remarkable. Having been around that long myself, and having run my own business, I know that it is almost impossible to put yourself in the spotlight for that long and not have some dirt stick to you from time to time.

No, in my book Ron deserves as many plaudits as are available for making our favorite sport as rich and entertaining as it is today.

1. Jason Coles says:

I have a huge amount of respect for Ron Dennis. He’s built up one of the greatest F1 teams almost entirely with his own bare hands. But that also means you have to realise that McLaren is his baby and so in his eyes can do no wrong. I don’t believe that is out of arrogance but out of the same love a mother has for a son. It doesn’t matter what crime the son commits, she will defend him tooth and nail even if he is guilty.

2. paul moss says:

I beg your pardon? I’m not sure Bruce McLaren, Teddy Mayer and others would entirely agree..

6. Cliff says:

Agree with your first point, but apart from making ourselves feel better, why do we as public feel that someone must be removed from their position? I am struggling to remember when such a move produced a positive long term outcome for any sport.
      There are very few people in F1 that can say that they have contributed to the sport in the same way as Ron Dennis (or Sir Frank Williams for that matter), and that should not be forgotten. As for Corporations, only Ferrari has been consitent and stood by F1. When the other big corporations have come and gone, it is the likes of Ron Dennis that remained in the Sport

7. Freespeech says:

Those that are anti McLaren or worse just anti Ron Dennis will always hold to their views whatever the evidence.
      Can anyone who is fair minded think McLaren’s treatment over ‘Spygate’ was fair in light if the biased treatment Renault have received in so many cases :?:

1. PaulL says:

Renault received the same sentence as McLaren in the July hearing. The only difference is that no evidence forthcoming has indicated that Renault didn’t tell the truth and conducted a proper investigation into the affair – unlike McLaren – which demostrated that they took the matter with the appropriate sincerity.

As for the crash-gate hearing, as Mosley said Renault’s investigation was ‘impeccable’ and they removed all those involved. Why would you punish the men and women on shopfloor for something they had involvement in?

2. PaulL says:

..make that NO involvement in.

8. jose says:

i agree. But 100 million dollars seems a little too much. Even though, i think he knew something about it. Otherwise he wouldn’t be so good at what he did. The boss should know what is going on in his company.

1. Steve says:

I hate to say this… But the 100 million dollar fine was not for spying… The 100 million dollar fine was for lying about it!… Had McLaren been 100% open at the first enquiry, there would never have been such an enormous fine!

5. Bill Johnson says:

Could you please expand on what you meant in that last sentence? It cannot be correct that you meant that spygate and liegate were manufactured to keep a knighthood from Ron, but that’s how my weak brain read it.

Please help me understand.

1. Martin says:

A possible interpretation is that James was meaning that spygate and liegate were related, in that McLaren got itself confused as to how to respond to the FIA in Melbourne after it was shown in 2007 that McLaren had failed to properly investigate the use of Ferrari information.

6. Chris Crawford says:

Ross Brawn does deserve a knighthood, I was just thinkingrhe same before Christmas. He has achieved a lot and dud so much for Formula 1 for 2009.

Even my friends who don’t follow F1 started taking an interest just because of ‘Brawn’….

1. Cliff says:

Brawn GP with the possibility of a British WDC & WCC or Ross Brawn?

If it’s Ross Brawn, surely he qualified for his knighthood on his achievments at Ferrari alone.

7. Seisteve says:

Great article James, Looking forward to many more in 2010.

It takes a strong man to understand what Politics can do as a weapon, when to use the weapon and win and when to lie down and accept you do not have the weapons available now.

With McLaren becoming more independent then I hope we can see more honesty and plain speaking from a guy that deserves recognition in some form for the many ‘great years’ that are diluted by a few ‘issue years’.

8. shaun says:

I love the RonSpeak! I hope he brings out an autobiography, it would be fantastic reading (technically precise but syntactically confusing) and balance out the one-sided stories Mosley is trotting out. And I refuse as a point of principle to pay a penny for anything MM writes.

Arise Sir Ron!!

9. carlm21 says:

I remember an interview he did once where he went on about straightening picture frames if they were not level. Such is his level of detail and precision, but never the less the man is a proven winner.

10. Howard Hughes says:

Good point re the honours list. I know Ron’s fiercely patriotic, but if I were him I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about being awarded one. Let’s face it – the people who decide who gets them haven’t themselves achieved what he has; the honour itself is beneath him.

And what is it with the Brits anyway, that consistently overlook the one thing that they truly excel at globally – motorsport. They’re crap at pretty much everything else, but the most glamourous, hi-tech and consistently popular sport on Earth (only the World Cup and Olypmics are bigger, and they’re not annual) is on that they dominate, both sportingly, technologically and commercially… Yet some fool who throws a ball around will get an honour before someone like Ron Dennis?!

Please…

1. adam says:

Crap at everything ?
      At the last Olympics Britain got more medals per head than the USA.

11. Robbm says:

Well i for one can’t wait for the passing of time, whatever the truth is, I’d like to know.
    Ron Dennis is one of the people I’ve admired my whole life (the fact he’s not an angel is meaningless, angels don’t exist)
    I’ve always felt that a lot of nastiness has gone on behind the scenes with Max, Ron, Bernie and a few others that we’re not privy too, I maybe wrong in thinking Ron has alluded to that.
    As for the yearly awards, sorry but it really is time to change there names, i mean come on, Member of the empire, please!

rob

12. Gilraen says:

Way to go Ron!!
    Thanks for posting this James :-)

13. Steve says:

Say what you like about Ron and spygate but the punishment was completely absurd and out of proportion to the amount of evidence the FIA managed to find. Someone was settling old scores there…

14. Enrico Fiore says:

Many may remember Ron more for the titles he DIDN’T win. 2003, 2005 should have been easy but couldn’t get a grip on reliability. 2007 didn’t manage the team well enough to stop his former driver trouncing his 2 contenders.

1. LT says:

I wouldn’t call winning by 1 pt (by luck as well) a trouncing….another blind Ferrari fan….neeeext!

15. Curro says:

Ever the arrogant… how many races have McLaren actually lost these last 10 years due to poor strategy/reliability/driver management/disqualification/you name it…?

He’s had all the top drivers except Schumacher driving for him, plus Adrian Newey designing the car for half the decade, and all there is to show is 1 drivers world championship – surely there is something VERY wrong somewhere!

16. Meeklo says:

Very nice article-interview James and hope its a sneak peak to a autobiography you might be helping him author. The Mansell book from years ago is still one of my favorites.

17. Kent Paul says:

Just look at the drivers Ron has won championships with, and how he built up Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

He’s brilliant

1. jose says:

the problen lies with his personality. People dislike him quite often, for whatever reason.
      I remember lauda going the extra yard, trying to get along with him in 1985, and couldn’t achieve it. Coulthart being treated like a nobody, as montoya. Prost the same during the senna period, and alonso in 2007.
      He is very good at what he does, but he needs a public relations course, that he is never going to get at this point in life.

18. Freespeech says:

Ron Dennis still has so much to give and if he chooses not to come back to F1 (why would he after the way he’s been treated) we can be sure that McLaren sports cars will b the ones to buy as they’ll lead the field in both quality, performance and attention to detail as only Ron Dennis knows how, top bloke I say 8)

19. Shane says:

Would you be willing to elaborate on the following James?

“Dennis was surely on target for a knighthood before the Spygate and Liegate affairs blew up so massively. There are many in F1 who feel that the two things might not be entirely unrelated..”

1. Ed says:

Do you know more than you are letting on James and for one reason or another don’t want to elaborate further… fair enough if you don’t. I assume as it is an opinion rather than fact which could lead to trouble? In which case I fully respect your silence!

2. PaulL says:

I found that sentence ambiguous too. Perhaps it relates to people’s perceived dishonesty from Dennis about the spying matter (liegate/spygate).

I do find it ridiculous that Dennis stepped down after liegate for no apparent specific reason or reasons completely unrelated.

Anyway, I think Dennis is a decent bloke and should be merited for his work at McLaren especially in the 80s and 90s, but I do feel he let himself down over the spygate affair.

20. ashley edwards says:

I have never heard of any one who goes to bed with a vacuum cleaner.

…or at least admits to it..

2. lip_iceman says:

Lonely child? I feel kind of sorry that he doesn’t realise how dodgy that sounds.

3. Ted the Mechanic says:

…and his mother!?!

4. Williams4Ever says:

With that level of “Attention to details”, Its hard to digest that Spygate was just an Indiscretion of “Minor Team Members”. In fact the systematic approach where in lead test driver and more “experienced driver” testing rival data acquired by “Chief Designer” can’t be without blessings of Senior Management.

21. Brad says:

It’s hard to know if that’s just Ron’s spin. After being so fed so much of it already this year from Max and Flav and others.

22. kristian says:

“There are many in F1 who feel that the two things might not be entirely unrelated”.

Competitive animals know no limits? eg. himself?

1. jose says:

James, do you think he had anything to do with blowing open the spanking-gate. Moesley said he was going to say something in his biography, but at this point, nobody has spoken anything about it.

1. Freespeech says:

He said he had NOTHING to do with it and I for one believe him.

23. Zobra Wambleska says:

Max Mosley and Ron Dennis had been at logger heads for decades. Max taking his clear dislike for Ron in the only direction he knew, into the political realms of dirty tricks for which he was born, left Ron, in the end with few options. Because of who Ron is, however, I suspect that he had more than a little to do with Max’s departure from the central stage. This, in my humble opinion, is a story that has yet to see its ending written. We may never see Ron on the pit wall in his old role, but we will soon see him back in spades.

24. Peter G says:

Interesting story. Which issue of ESQUIRE was the article in ?

I guess one coming out soon, as it looked like MOS had picked it up

25. Andy says:

as much as everyone dislike what has happened to Ron. As the head of a company, whatever that company does (no matter how junior a member) it is his responsibility.

26. DIt’s such a shame that the people who make F1 the success it is ( the dedicated fans ) can never get the real facts about what happens.

I can understand, James, why you won’t expand on your suspicions.

There has always been trickery and cheating in Motorsport but it’s been taken to new heights over the last decade, but it was not Ron Dennis and McLaren who were responsible.

Everyone has strong suspicions that Schumacher was using traction control at Benneton, I believe Renault admitted to having have McLaren technical information on the premises and finally there was last years’ Crashgate.

There is at least one person who springs to mind as a common denominator here and he’s trying to get back into the sport.

As for other events, in the light of the similar Renault incident, the McLaren Spygate affair was obviously blown out of all proportion as a way of getting at Ron Dennis personally and the $100m fine was simply ridiculous.

You can’t say quite the same about the events involving the steward’s enquiry over the McLaren/Toyota incident in Australia. But if that didn’t stop Lewis collecting his gong, why should Spygate stop Ron Dennis being rewarded for his undoubted achievements ?

27. Cabby says:

Fighting for what?

1. Freespeech says:

Good post :?: Der :!:

28. Tony G says:

James your honours list means nothing when they give every English player who played in the 2005 Ashes series an MBE for beating Australia. Personally have no problem with that however it meant giving one to an English player, Paul Collingwood who only played in the last test and scored 17 runs in two innings. Hardly the same as winning 6 Grand Prix in the first seven races, or a World Championship is it?

Indeed it isn’t. Harold Wilson once gave a knighthood to the bloke who supplied him with raincoats…

1. Dale says:

Says as much about Wilson as it does the ridiculous British Honours system.

On any normal scale, compared to others that have received Knighthoods Ron Dennis should have received one simply for his business achievements never mind the good he’s done for the UK with McLaren’s success in F1.

2. Freespeech says:

Yep, just about sums it all up, the whole system is utter bonkers and open to corruption and manipulation by those that control things.

2. bond007 says:

oh u really expect to revise MBE’s for every time paul plays or what?? …. its given for achievement over a long period ….

29. Andy says:

Like him or loathe him, there is little doubt he has been a powerhouse in getting mclaren where they are today.

Reading some of the criticisms of him you would think mclaren were a 1 year flash in the pan. Unless I have a copy of the wrong record book I don’t think that’s true.

As in all walks of life it takes all sorts of different characters to make the world turn

30. Terry says:

The issue with Ron is that he is unable to express the full extent of his passion. I would love to see him “let it rip” and speak the full extent of his thoughts. (Although maybe not mentioning Max by name is expressing contempt rather than holding back.) Because of this, I’m not sure I’d automatically purchase a Ron Dennis autobiography.

Still, I love Ron complaining of “judgmental behaviour”. Pure Ronspeak, pure “piranha club” positioning, pure “pot meet kettle” gripes.

31. David S says:

Good to see Ron back in fighting spirit.
    Great story James.

Both Ron and Ross deserve Knighthoods IMO, no question.

Ken Tyrrell should also have received one for his mega achievements with JYS. Interesting that Brawn was born from the hereditary line of Tyrrell all those years ago.

Sir Frank Williams, Ron Dennis, Ken Tyrrell, Ross Brawn and Colin Chapman are all outstanding examples of great British achievement.

32. Pierre says:

Thanks for the article James.
    There will always be some people saying that Dennis is arrogant and things like that. Untrue, they just don’t understand this man has dedicated his life to perfection and passion for the sport and what he is doing. Same as Schumacher’s hunger for victory and beeing the best at every moment.

Made some mistakes in the past? Maybe, as every one of us. Did not achieved the results he wanted to from the end of the Honda era? Probably, but not so easy when you’ve been such successfull for such a long time, and with Mercedes which has not been as reliable as it is now. Too much attention to details? Details are what make the difference at the high level.

But just have a look and think what this man has achieved from the early days of “Project 4″ to the F1 team many victories and what the whole McLaren group has become! This is an enormous success, nearly unbelievable.

Next McLaren road cards? Can be sure they’ll be great cars and Ron will place all his energy in it.

With Mercedes retiring, Ron will of course be very activ at the backoffice including some F1 strategic F1 stuff… He personnaly owns an important share of the company he’s grown up… I would not be surprised to see McLaren building his own engines for its road cars (as several english passionates did it in the past)… and even, who knows, for F1s after partnership with Mercedes ends…

1. Kent Paul says:

Great post. :toppa:

33. Pierre says:

I don’t understand.
    A relation:
    - between the Knighthood and the two affairs,
    or
    - between Spygate and Liegate?

1. Andy says:

I think James was pointing to the tarnishing of Rons name. It is not as if you could honour someone who has just been “asked” to stand down.

34. Ted the Mechanic says:

Any chance of a blog outlining a brief chronological history of disputes between Ron and Mosley and why they escalated into bitter point-scoring psychological feuds?

It seems Mosley always had the upper hand and final word with his position of power.

Has any conclusive proof ever emerged of a third party perhaps tipping off or putting the News of the World up to their dominatrix-prostitute-orgy sting?

Thanks for the idea, but it’s not my kind of post that!

1. Freespeech says:

Yeah, that’d be a good read ad an insight into what really went on.

35. Silverstoned says:

I’m trying to imagine Ron Dennis as a man about town going out “to do stuff” just like his kids, but it’s just not easy…

If it’s true that he was innocent of all involvement in those scandals then why did he agree to leave?

36. Josh says:

A – the bad press generated arguably hurt Ron’s public image, the fact that he as a person basically represents the strongest (british) team on the grid wouldn’t have helped either.

B – James is referring to the knighthood and both affairs as the ‘two things’, spygate and liegate are unrelated

37. Josh says:

James, where do you see Mclaren after Mercedes drop engine support in a couple of years?
    Honda-powered? Factory engines?
    Just interested to see what your hunch is, I’m sure you’ve got a better idea than most :)

At this stage, not sure. The engine formula changes in 2013 to something quite different and it would cost a lot of money to develop a competitive engine for one team. They might do one themselves and sell it to customers – like Ferrari – or they might look for another manufacturer. I’ve not fully understood their strategy on engines yet.

2. Pierre says:

I think they have the ressources to do their own engine. Or maybe to order it from a manufacturer, exactly as they did before with TAG providing the money with Porsche building the engine. Will they do it? No one knows but this is a strong possibility I think.

The other solution would be to have a partnership with a new manufacturer, despite BMW retired last year, I think they could be a possibility (first McLaren car was BMW powered…), 2015 is far from today… world and sport will change untill that time.

Partnership with Mercedes ends in 2015, new engine regulation is set for 2013, this is not coincidence. Whatever they do, it’ll give them 2 years of knowledge and experience.

If they do their own engine for their road cars (that makes perfect sens as they want to establish the McLaren brand as a “car manufacturer” able to compete Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche…), I think it’ll be a strong indication of what the future of the F1 team might be.

38. jose arellano says:

whats the big deal with the knighthoods ?

he has achived enormous things, has more money that could ever spend.. i would give a damn about a knighthood if i was in his shoes.

Ah, but that is precisely why the knighthood is so important to these high achievers. They have done everything else for themselves. You can do a lot to help a knighthood along, like charity work, but at the end of the day it’s about being recognised by your country and that is something you cannot make happen. Then there is the social cache – your wife gets to call herself Lady and so on – it’s a big deal for a certain kind of person.

1. Silverstoned says:

shouldn’t knighthoods have gone out with Edward III ?

39. Antione says:

I don’t know why Ross Brawn gets more praise while the real genius is this guy here “Sir Ron Dennis”,

I’m not sure when they start calling someone Sir in the UK but his [RD'] is long overdue.

40. Dale says:

Frank Williams a Knight and Ron Denis not, Ron has achieved more in F1 than Williams so how is this fair :?: :?

In ant case all this OBE’s etc is a load of rubbish as there are loads of decent people that never get recognised and likewise loads that receive honours that are never worthy.

The way the British system works I wouldn’t be surprised to see spanker Mosley receive a knighthood before Ron Dennis is even, if ever, mentioned.

1. Freespeech says:

Too right, I think the way that man Mosley treated and was allowed to be treated (which is even worse) is a disgrace and all the other players in F1 should hold their heads in shame and now look we have Todt as the boss :!: Couldn’t make it up.

41. bg f1 fan says:

I still wonder who blew the whistle on Max Mosley’s extracurricular activities.

I would definitely put my bet on Ron.

If only the nazi scandal came out a year earlier, McLaren would have been saved from this [mod] treatment.

1. Gilraen says:

I bet you Ron has NOTHING to do with that!!

42. Andrew Hill says:

Does F1 have its own lifetime achievement award, and could it be revoked if further stories floated to the surface?

I would love to read Ron’s own account of the past few decades. I suspect there is, and was, a lot more going on in the background than we will ever know.

Perhaps Flavio could start a top level racing series where team orders and copying rival technology is allowed, amongst other things.

No F1 does not have a lifetime achievement award, but it’s a good idea. Problem is there are so many people who would deserve to be recipients

43. Aaron James says:

It would have taken one phone call for Ron to avoid Spygate. When he went to the lengths of installing email-filters to stop emails from Stepney, he didn’t think to give Jean Todt or Max a phone call?

Ron tried to be clever. He liked the idea of a renegade employee at Ferrari and that narcissism blew up spectacularly in his face.

A little bit more of the sportsmanship he so often talked about could have saved a lot of money and damage to the sport.

1. Flintelli says:

here here – you shouldn’t be awarded an award/honour for cheating!

2. Gilraen says:

Ron DID call Max as soon as Alonso tried to blackmail him with this knowledge. He just didn’t believe he had traitors in his beloved company, which are junior members (in management) from Ron’s perspective.

1. Aaron James says:

By the time Alonso threatened to shop McLaren, it was too late. The damage was done.

However when Ron ordered email-filters be configured to stop inbound communication from Stepney the dodgy-dossier had yet to be stolen from Ferrari and delivered to Coughlin.

At that point (by virtue of installing a filter to prevent it) it is clear Ron knew what was happening was not right. Rather than do something proactive about it (approach Ferrari, or at the very minimum, the FIA) he tried to cover his eyes while leaving Stepney in-place, and festering, at Ferrari.

Hind-sight is 20/20 but my goodness but as far as dodgy decisions go, that must rank as one of Dennis’ greatest. And we STILL don’t know what role he played in liegate either.

2. Freespeech says:

Some people will hate Ron no matter what the facts are, end of :!:

44. Dieter says:

Someone has been known to run F1 in a prison style fashion, get in his bad books and youre in jail and keys thrown away forever, we have lost many characters in the sport.

Everyone makes mistakes and the world has seen the need for amnesty, we have had people like Mandela, Mother Teresa and the Dalai Lama etc. Today they live alongside people they have forgiven.

If someone have said they are sorry, there is no reason to go ahead and destroy them. I still think Ron and Flavio have contributed more to the sport and they are just the missing link.

F1 is now like a place where people are waiting inline in a death row waiting to be executed with a gun.

45. Murray says:

Wake up, you dopes! You’re bickering over who you’d rather be grovelling in front of calling him “Sir”. Is forelock tugging in your genes? Honourifics dispensed at the monarch’s pleasure are arbitrary, meaningless. It’d be more impressive if the monarch diluted her own holdings to give something concrete to a worthy. Or established a trust to gift them, like Alfred Nobel. But Nobel was a self-made man, not reliant on an inbred inheritance.

46. Lilia says:

I’m indifferent to prises and honors by the queen and i don’t think they are to bother with but one thing i have to say is that i can’t believe this man is not a man of principle. I was surprised as hell when some people lately compared him to Briatore. They are nothing alike. One only cares for himself and the other only for the good of his team. I’ve never seen a more dedicated man than him. His blood is Mclaren and even now that he stepped down his doing everything to built a secure future for that team through the auto department.
    Bernie Ecclestone himself admitted in a few interviews that Ron is a model of a man who does things for the good of his team and the sport while admitting that himself is not even slightly as a good of a man as Ron is, because he only cares about his own gain. Actually he said it sometimes in a way that he was partially annoyed from Ron’s hevy principles.
    I guess that was what Max hated too.

I don’t know if it where junior members or not and who exactly where responsible about the stolen Ferrari data but what i do know is that Mclaren got a hammer on the head as a confirmation of hypocrisy.
    And i can’t see what the liegate had to do with Ron. The guy had already stepped down.He just sacrificed himself a little more hopping to help as a bait for the team to escape the teeth of a vindictive animal.
    Not to mention that the whole thing was blown out of proportion probably because of Hamilton’s popularity among people since he has many who like him and hate him as much. Drivers lie all the time in our faces and no one gives a shit but suddenly all were shocked by a lie, that it really wasn’t for much? It’s not like the fate of the world championship was depending on it and the situation was so strange that someone could think that by lying he gets justice since that position was his if the FIA and the Mclaren pitcrew didn’t screw things up. It wasn’t a big crime at all and the press made it seem like he burned Rome.

47. Edie says:

Regardless of everything that has been said, I still think it is sad that Ron Dennis has left FI and I think FI is much poorer for it.
    Good luck to him.

48. Jarek says:

The ‘mericans have a saying in racin’ “if you ain’t cheatin’ you ain’t trying”