Tous Avec Jules #17
Sochi 2014
Russian Grand Prix
Button favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year
McLaren Mercedes
Button favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year
Posted By: James Allen  |  01 Dec 2009   |  11:29 am GMT  |  85 comments

A fantastic year for Jenson Button could be rounded out with a win in the most prestigious sporting award the UK has to offer.

The short list for the 56th BBC Sports Personality of the Year award were announced last night and he is the odds on favourite to win. Looking at his competition, he should ease through to take the title.

It is based on a vote by the British public and F1 drivers have always been well supported because F1 fans are passionate and actively get out to vote. Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Sir Jackie Stewart have all won it. Lewis Hamilton missed out last year because the public felt that the Olympic champions had a better shout and cyclist Sir Chris Hoy won it.

Picture 35
It’s something people reading this from other countries around the world might not understand, but in Britain as soon as any sportsman or woman does well the first thing anyone says is, “They’ve got to be in with a chance of winning sports personality of the year.” It is part of our culture and it would be a real positive for the sport if Button were to win it.

Button heads a 10 strong list including the footballer Ryan Giggs, England cricket captain Andrew Strauss and tennis star Andy Murray.

His closest competitor appears to be world heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis, then heavyweight boxing champion David Haye.

The only downer is that the awards ceremony has been set for Sunday December 13th, from 7pm to 9pm on BBC TV, which means that it will clash with the live final of the X Factor, a phenomenon which has been pulling in audiences of 16 million recently.

So the whole country will not be watching if and when Button scoops the award and that will be a shame for him and for the prestige of the award.

* Congratulations to Felipe Massa and his wife Rafaella; their son Felipe was born yesterday evening in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Featured Video
JensonTrialthlon
Sign up for Jenson’s Triathlon today!
Featured News in mclaren
MORE FROM McLaren
LATEST FROM THE MCLAREN MERCEDES COMMUNITY
  1. Simon Pearce says:

I’ll be a bit miffed if Jenson wins when Lewis didn’t :(

2. zarniwoop says:

I would be really annoyed if Button won it based on the fact that Lewis has been runner up for the past two years and he is a better driver. Vote for Giggs!

3. Gabriel says:

Incredible scheduling. I wonder who booked the event first, ITV or BBC? Someone has been either deliberate about stealing audience from the BBC or unaware of ITV’s scheduling.

Either way, as you say James, shame not everyone will be watching, and more importantly, the next morning’s papers will be covered with X factor stuff and not (hopefully) Jenson holding the trophy aloft.

1. Paul Hayes says:

Sports Personality has been on a Sunday night early in December since God was a boy. So it’s more of an ITV spoiler effort than a BBC one.

2. BrightMinds says:

BBC chose to schedule it then. They really need their heads checked because I remember it clashing with something equally crowd pleasing last year.

ITV HATE clashes, especially at the moment because it seriously impacts on its advertising revenue. They chose to stage the final then to have a christmas no.1 in the singles chart.

Having said all this though, BBC Sports Personality of the Year is hardly entertaining viewing. I’ll be watching X-Factor!

4. Aluap says:

Hi James thanks for the info re Button & award. know if he is up for award will be watching instead of x factor as much more important to support JB as he has had a battering from fans etc this past year. Hope he does win!!!

Congrats to Felipe & wife on birth of baby Felipe, send best wishes for them all :-)

5. Simon jones says:

Button all the wAy!! I mean, who’s andrew Strauss? Well done for sitting in a stand or standing in a field. As for David haye. I’d never heard of the bloke until he won the silliest boxing match ever! Is that why he’s up for it?!

PS surely your kidding about x factor, tell me that was a joke. Jeez I will be SO torn between the 2 channels!!

Apologies. Didn’t sleep to well but I mean every word of it

6. jw1980 says:

Lewis Hamilton came seocond in the last two years. Button does have easier competition this year. However, you do have to watch out for national voting i.e. not withstanding Hoy’s incredible achievements was his victory last year also down to a concerted effort by the Scottish press to secure votes?
    With regards to those who may be torn between watching the Sports Personality and the X Factor may I suggest that you watch the Sports Personality live and record the X Factor. The X Factor will be shorter and you can fast forward through the ads to also save time.
    Anyway my guess is that most readers on this website will prefer to watch Sports Personality but may be there are some household disputes.
    Watch out for an Isle of Man campaign for Mark Cavendish! His achievements at the Tour de France this year were great and he certainly has personality!
    Good to see Ryan Giggs nominated after his many years of great service.
    However, I will vote for Button because as James puts it it’s through loyalty to the sport. Some of the critics who do not like it when F1 drivers do well have to accept that F1 is very popular in this country. You could argue that Button has diversified this year with his triatlon efforts in London.

1. " for sure " says:

I agree with most of the above, but will not be watching. The other passion in our home alongside motorsport is horse racing. Tony McCoy has been champion jump jockey for more seasons than most of us can remember, sustained serious injuries not so long ago, yet made an astonishing and rapid comeback, to continued domination of his sport, yet he doesn’t even merit a nomination. When you look as those that have been nominated, you have to question what this award is now about?

7. LMW says:

As much as I’d like to see him win, I think the general public will remember the negatives from this year, i.e. his mid-season slump and the time it took to clinch the title.

I can see it going to Jessica or Mr Giggs.

8. Ace Best says:

Is there any prize that comes with this award? or is it just for prestige?

If I were in UK,I’d prolly watch the X-Factor n record this award show.lol..

9. Andy Holt says:

Easy Choice, the only other one I’ve heard of is Ryan Giggs anyway. Come on Jenson

10. brian armitage says:

I reckon David Haye will win it. For some reason the boxers always get a good turnout in the voting (maybe all the other sports split their vote?) and I don’t see that being any different this year.

Remember the look on Lewis Hamilton’s face two years ago when he came second? That was priceless! Of course, he was better prepared for coming second again last year (again to a boxer).

1. Stephen Kellett says:

For some reason the boxers always get a good turnout in the voting

Same audience as X factor. No surprise.

2. Philip T says:

I’ve never seen Chris Hoy box

11. Jamie T says:

I don’t think Jenson should win it (he will though), purely because if Lewis was denied the last 2 years (the year before was basically a lifetime achievement award for Calzaghe), then Jenson really didn’t top his achievements and had a huge help from a fantastically developed car.

I was no fan of Lewis’s initial cockiness, but equally it’s an extremely sad thing that he was denied the award twice despite astonishing performances, and Jenson will win it now.

If Ross Brawn was included though, I’d give it to him.

Give the award to Ennis.

12. Arthru Blake says:

HI James

Just looked at the list of BBC Sports personalities of the the year and agree that Jenson is (and rightly so as he has a personality) favorite for the title, but as usual there are some serious omission for from the top 10 list.
    I feel that Bradley Wiggins performance on the Tour De France outshone Mark Cavendish, and from Jenson other Favorite Sport Triathlon Briton has 2 World Champions in Alistair Brownlee and Chrisse Wellington who is the Ironman woman’s World Champion for the Last 3 Years running, these guys are at the top of their game in a massively competitive sport its a shame that the Beeb can not recognise this.

Arthur

1. Williams4Ever says:

Completely agree Arthur.

13. Cliff says:

Only the BBC would put their premier sports awards programme up against X-Factor! Two problems spring to mind
    1. Poor viewing figures. If 16 million people or there abouts are watching X-Factor, this could be the least viewed BBC Sports Personality Awards show in years.
    2. The votes are made on the night. I suspect that there will be more voting for theX-Factor Finalist.
    Best of luck Jenson!

14. Ben says:

James – you will be torn! Will you be watching X Factor or Sports Personality?

I can’t see anyone beating him – although won’t this be the second time he has won an award in this event? Didn’t he get best newcomer (or similar) after his first season?

Whilst I agree that the unexpected success of Britain at the Olympics cost Hamilton the award in 08, he also failed in 07 too when he arguably deserved or more. I think that Is because Hamilton is not the typical mould if British sports hero whereas Button is. Hamilton has the superstar persona in the media, someone who has been instantly successful from a young age. Buttons plight is more similar to popular vote winners in the past, such as Damon Hill and Tim Henman – someone who has the image of not necessarily being the standout talent, but was still able to achieve glory.

I’m not saying that is what Button actually is – just how a lot of people perceive him as being.

Sky Plus will be in action, but I think I’ll be outvoted by my wife and sons and will be watching Joe McEldrey et al live

15. Finn # 1 says:

Not exactly a strong line up … David Haye should do well given his Goliath toppling act.

They must have taken ages thinking up baby Massa’s name. Congrats all the same. Thank fate that Felipe Sr was alive to see his son born.

16. **Paul** says:

Sky+ will be in use that night.

17. Aaron James says:

I think he’d be a fair winner here. I’m not sure I agree about Lewis not winning on account of the competition though.

Button, pretty much, is liked by most people. I think Lewis on the other hand is a much, much more divisive figure among both fans of F1, and of the public in general.

I think Lewis has such an aura of hype surrounding him, that too, that counted against him, both in 2007 and 2008.

Jenson on the other hand you could almost say hasn’t been heralded enough for his achievement.

So given that the British love the perennial loser that finally makes it, I think Jenson should walk it. And yeah, it would be good for the sport. Much more so actually than had Lewis won it in previous years. Then, F1 didn’t need further exposure, but now I think it does.

18. James says:

Are the Brawn team up for Team of the Year? or better still is Ross himself up for the Helen Rollason Award, given how Brawn started the year, i think he qualifys for the Helen Rollason Award given its billed as an award for outstanding achievement in the face of adversity.

Come on JB!

19. Congratulations, Felipe Baby-Baby!

Oh! Wish I’d thought of that!

20. Niko says:

The usual BBC scheduling nightmare!

Jensons should be the favourite, not just for the achievement but he’s lucky there have been no major football, athletics, or rugby tournaments this year. The Ashes had the potential to produce a challenger, but no single player stood out. Jenson will also have the “nice guy” vote, whereas as Lewis had to contend with the irrational haters voting for whomever looked like beating him. All these factors should add up to a Button win, and I’d be delighted to see it.

And though I presume he won’t see the message here, best wishes and congratulations to the Massa family.

21. Stu says:

It may just be an English thing but in Wales we don’t really care much for the BBC awards. It may be because it’s generally only the English that will ever win it but that’s another matter.

Button has to win it simply because there isn’t anyone else whose done anything that worth while, or they did it in a sport most people don’t care about.

1. El Shish says:

Like Ryan Giggs?

22. Paul Mc says:

Jenson is a worthy winner of POTY, but is he as liked by the general public? Lewis last year,on paper, should have walked home with that award but could the negative stories about him last year put people off?

With F1 back on the BBC, surely Jenson will get it?! If i could vote i would vote for him.

I wonder James, if there was an F1 Personality of the Year, who would win it? Bernie? EJ? I dont think Kimi would be in the Top 10… :)

Let’s vote for it, shall we? Maybe have the result after the 13th. I’ll work on it.

23. Rob Silver says:

Jolly good luck to Jenson, although the competition (it has to be said) isn’t exactly fierce this year as far as broad appeal goes. Olympic years are always pretty much a shoe-in for any successful athlete though, at least to my recollection. F1 could use a boost to it’s image after a traumatic year, even if it was bookended by some excellent, competitive racing.

James, do you think that an F1 sports personality of the year winner will have the effect of highlighting the positives of the sport, or will the coverage reflect somewhat more on the downer points?

No it’s a positive, especially with BBC having the rights, that’s the story they will tell

24. Jon Veal says:

Would like to see Ross Brawn get a life time achievement award.

1. Neil says:

Given his long contribution to the sport (Williams, Benetton, Ferrari, Brawn, Merc) and the high quality of his engineering, management, and of course results; I’d have hoped his eventual retirement would be followed by a gong.

I think he’s done a lot for high-tech industry in this country, and has provided an excellent role model.

Stewart got one… ;-)

Neil.

2. Mark says:

And to Ron Dennis as well…

3. KP says:

Yes, Dennis needs to be done first tbf

4. Oh, we could then see Jenson become the Earl of Frome !!

25. TinyJim says:

I think we all know Ross Brawn should be the one nominated :)

1. PT says:

It’s just not the way this works. Although I believe Formula 1 is very much a team sport the driver is the man who get nominated for Sports Personality.

It’s in the same way that Alex Ferguson will never be nominated for the main prize and Brawn GP will only get nominated for the team prize.

26. Tim Welch says:

Last year Lewis was also hampered by the event being on the same day as the Race of Champions at Wembley, from which many people who would have voted for him on the night were still trying to get home from!

Good luck Jenson – he should also benefit from the fact the British coverage was by the BBC this year so will have more footage to show to support him.

27. Stephen Kellett says:

Well if Jenson wins the award at least he will have a personality. I remember when Mansell won it, I was in a car with a friend and we heard in on the radio. We both burst out laughing because Mansell deservered “Sports person of the year” not “Sports personality of the year”. The overriding thing about Mansell was the lack of personality.

As for up against X factor – whos cares? One is a “talent” show for singers (so much for music huh?) aimed at an audience that do not wish to think very hard. The other is an award show for people that are interested in sport at the highest level.

The best (subjective, I know) singers and musicians will never be seen on a show like X Factor, it is simply a marketing vehicle for Simon Cowell. Whereas arguably the best UK sportsmen and sportswomen will be seen on the Sports Personality of the Year show.

1. Jamie T says:

Snob. X factor is highly entertaining – it doesn’t pretend to be anything it isn’t really, whereas SPOTY is a backslapping exercise and the fact it too is voted for by the (idiotic) public cheapens it somewhat. It should be voted for by people with a degree of intelligence. The fact Lewis didn’t win it either year proves to me the award is cheap.

I’m a fan of Calzaghe and Hoy did well but was disillusioned when Lewis didn’t win. His achievements were phenomenal – especially in 2007.

Ennis deserves it this year more than Jenson IMHO, or if we’re back to lifetime achievement Calzaghe style, Giggs perhaps.

1. Stephen Kellett says:

Anything is highly entertaining, if you like that sort of thing. Good for you if you like it. It is a very good example of marketing and conditioning in action. Slurp it up while it feels good. I’m with Frank Zappa on this one.

Just about everyone thinks they have a superior viewpoint if you choose the right subject. Some people are foolish enough to think that that viewpoint makes them a superior individual. That person is a snob. That doesn’t describe me.

You clearly do have such a viewpoint. You clearly think the public are too stupid to be able to vote on SPotY. Who should vote – some ivory tower elite? Can’t get more superior than that.

Whereas all I did was express an indifference to a show that does not promote musical talent (it aguably, in a small way, does promote vocal talent and showmanship).

Wonderful that you express interest in intelligence and then go on to make boxing references. Priceless.

2. Jamie T says:

These people have incredible intellect, unlike the general public.

3. Rob Silver says:

QUOTE: “Yep, I want it to be voted for by luminaries such as Max Mosely, Adam Crozier, Flavio Briatorie, Sepp Blatter and Mark Lawrenson. These people know what they are talking about.

These people have incredible intellect, unlike the general public.”

Wait, wait… BRIATORE? Oh! Ohh… There’s a joke there somewhere, right?

4. Stephen Kellett says:

Jamie,

In your previous posting where called me a snob you said SPotY was a backslapping exercise and therefore useless. But your recommendation turns it into exactly that – folks voting for their peers.

Quite why you think that Sepp Blatter knows more about a non-motorsport sports personality than any random member of the public is beyond me. He is probably as clueful/clueless as the next person when it comes to swimming or cycling or triathlon etc.

These people have incredible intellect, unlike the general public.

By definition, that is probably true for anyone on the right hand side of the Poisson distribution curve (so thats me sorted, lucky me), but it does not follow that their intellect confers on them superior knowledge of any given domain, rather than superior knowledge of their own particular domain of expertise.

Even if true, why stop there? Why not ban people you don’t think are bright enough from voting. Wait a minute, didn’t we have that some time ago? Once upon a time women couldn’t vote, and people that only landed gentry couldn’t vote. Careful what you open up with that ill thought can of worms you have there. You might find that its you that doesn’t have the right to vote.

28. Charlie says:

I’m voting for Joe McEldry … sorry, I mean Jenson. So easy to get confused!

29. Prakhar M. says:

I think it will be between Strauss and Button. After all, he did win the Ashes and that is the most important thing in British sport.

30. Ajayrious says:

I really dont see why Jenson should win Sports Personality of the year. Yes he won the world championship, but everyone including yourself James, seems to have forgotten that he only won races when he had a far superior car and as soon as everyone else caught up with Brawn he struggled and ended the season struggling to beat Barrichello again.

Hamilton would have been far more worthy of a place in that top 10, he’s had a phenomenal year much like Michael Schumacher did in 1996 where he consistently rose above the capabilities of his car.

Personally out of the list my favourite would be Ryan Giggs i’m biased with that.

31. George says:

Another Felipe baby?!

I think David Haye’s achievement was pretty special, but I guess some of his pre-fight comments will count against him.

32. Jayshum says:

I’m sorry, but I still feel this is deeply unfair in regards to Lewis Hamilton. Chris Hoy was brilliant at the Olympics, and I mean no disrespect to him with this, but did he really deserve to beat Lewis Hamilton, practically a rookie in the top level of motorsport? I also think the BBC did a very poor job last year of being fair to all the contenders. On the night, here in Liverpool, the BBC dedicated under 5 minutes to him on the night. Even one of my friends, who doesn’t watch F1, was shocked. Chris Hoy and the Olympic squad, had well over an hour of the programme dedicated to them, Chris Hoy himself had 20 minutes.

So on that basis, SPotY doesn’t mean a thing to me atleast anymore. Again, I don’t mean to sound bitter about Hamilton not winning last year, but I really do believe he deserves it ten times more than Button.

1. Pete says:

What?!? Hoy appeared with all the cyclists, Hamilton got a one-on-one interview. Hoy was asked ONE question. He won despite the BBC’s efforts, not because…
      What programme were you watching, Jayshum?
      Incredible, really, that anyone can still take F1 seriously as a sport – especially after the recent season’s shenanigans.

33. Glen D says:

Even though Button is favorite (and i think he will win it) my personal vote will go to Mark Cavendish. He is an absolute animal at the sprints and i think only the lack of publicity and cycling gets will prevent him from getting the award.

Button should win as i dont see it as a particularly strong line up. I think it will be Murray then Cavendish in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

As for the timing of the awards, that is just plain stupid from the beeb!

Good luck to Button. He should get it.

34. StJimmyL says:

Will this be in next years book?

I read a race every time I go for a poo ;)

So in about 15 races time the book will be finished… Quite strange when i’ve read it all before… Hmmm – I feel a bowel movement coming now!

PS – James – you signature is a lot like Jensons :)

1. Stephen Kellett says:

Too much information!

35. Jackie says:

Hi James,

I think the F1 drivers always have a big advantage as, due to the scheduling of the GP season, their triumphs are always fresh in the publics mind. Where as some of the other contenders ‘moment of glory’ occurred almost a year ago.

However is the award really highly regarded by the likes of Button & Hamilton? Or is it just seen as another ‘duty’ they have to perform?

True, but didn’t work last year!

36. Good luck Jenson, unfortunately I have a feeling he wont quite win…

37. johny mac says:

x factor be-b**red! nothing will take the shine off watching a worthy champ pick up that trophy. The debate over whether he’s made a mistake moving to mclaren will rage on but his worthiness for the beebs top prize is beyond question. can’t wait.

38. carlm21 says:

Ryan Giggs will win it followed by Jenson.

United fan by any chance?

1. carlm21 says:

Yeah I am a United supporter.
        Jenson has done plenty to earn his stake at the BBC Sports Personality Award, but the 2nd half of the season went abit off.
        Ryan Giggs just keeps going and going at 36!
        The betting yesterday was 20/1 for Ryan Giggs, now it’s about 7/1. Jenson still favourite.

39. F1ART says:

BBC Sports Personality is a very political award, Andy Priaulx won the WTCC three times. One of only three FIA sanctioned world championships and never even recived a nomination. The reason being that WTCC is screened on Eurosport and not the Beeb!

You are right- look at what Sir Steve Redgrave had to do to win it!

40. Richard says:

Very good!

41. Ian Blackwell says:

Button did a good job this year but that award really belongs to everybody at Brawn that worked on giving him the car to dominate the first half of the season. After the first few races he was expected to win the championship. In contrast, David Haye was a complete surprise and pulled off a huge upset by beating someone much larger when most people gave him no chance. I think he deserves it just for that.

42. LC1971 says:

My first post on this site after following the blog the entire season….. Congratulations to James for his intelligent insight and for being a very reliable source. Also congrats to the vast majority of the posters whi generally maintain the high standard of discussion established by James. Not often we see this on a blog/forum!

My thoughts on the BBC Sports Personality of the Year are: (1) Why didn’t Michael Schumacher win the foreign award? Although the British do not warm to his personality, I don’t think the “personality” characteristic is a criterion for theis award. (2) If personality IS a criterion for the foreign award, how the hell has Valentino Rossi not won this award?! Unlike many one make champion drivers/riders, Rossi did a “Schumacher” and moved to a perenially losing team (Yamaha) and beat the rest of the opposition from the off. He also won NINE championships and is considered by many to be the GOAT.

It would be interesting to see what F1 fans think about Rossi.

Otherwise I think Jenson’s human personality makes him a worthy contender for the UK person award. In respect of Lewis, last year he was competing against strong “pure” sportsmen/women (ie relying on their own power) and I think the fact that he was so blatantly manufactured worked against him. After this season I think Lewis has gone some way to removing the shiny, manufactured tag.

1. Nick says:

Surely it doesn’t have anything to do with “personality” as such. It’s just that it sounds better, and less dated, than “sportsperson”, which is what it used to be called.

43. Darren says:

I would vote Jimmy Bullard,The Hull City player ;-)

44. pathetic.

he didnt win it when he was struggling in a poor car, now he’s wdc he’s in with a chance (despite being exactly the same), got no time for it. This is just the industry performing self felacio

45. Andy says:

One of the funniest posts of the year.

I am loving the comments about the BBC putting the sports personality up against that immovable object in the last 20 years (?) the x factor ;-)

I’d like to see jenson button win it. It would be thoroughly deserved in my view.

I can’t wait for the big matchup at mclaren next year.

Forget lewis and jenson. How about nicole and jessica.

There will be no lack of sponsorship coverage on tv next year :-)

great blog James, thank you for reigniting my day to day interest in f1. Great insights.

46. Mike from Medellin, Colombia says:

It has to be Jessica Ennis. Voting will have a lot to do with what’s fresh in the public’s mind I guess…so Button should have something of an advantage. What a performance by David Haye as well.

47. chetz says:

read the BBC statement: “unassailable lead in the first seven races” …

Nelson Piquet Jr. could have won the championship in that car…

give it to some one worthy pls…

48. Stevie P says:

It used to be that F1 drivers, when they won the WDC would be a shoe-in for the BBC-SPOTY. However, I’m not sure that that’s the case anymore, as other sports have more exposure now and our sportspersons in other fields (no pun intended re: Zara Phillips) are doing well e.g. Calzaghe and Hoy in the past two years.

I have a hunch that it may go to Giggs; in a world of football mega-transfers he has stayed loyal to one club throughout his career (a complete rarity!!). Unfortunately for him Wales have never qualified for a major competition in his time with his national side, so he’s been unable to play on the biggest stages… thus I feel there will be a lot of support for Mr Giggs.

I love the idea of JA-F1 POTY ;-) My vote is for Rubens… he showed there was life in the old dog AND he kept me amused with his blah blah blah and other “rants”, yet he kept his humility and humour (most of the time) – I still chuckle at him firing arrows in Monza ;-)

Good points by lc1971 about Valentino and Schumi.

1. Ed H says:

You know what? I completely agree about Rubens, he is clearly an underated driver who was never given the chances to be a champion at ferrari, and I think instead of stropping around like anyone else would, he takes it in a positive light, and he always cheers me up. I doubt he was actualy angry when he did his “Rant” he was probably trying to cheer himself up after a bad race! Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYd9UVBGTs

As for the BBC SPOTY, JB is the fave, though it could be close between him and Strauss. But to be Honest, Beth Tweddle probably deserves it more, I mean, have you seen some of the things she does? She’s a grandmother compared to some of the other stick insects that compete, and she still thrashes them. I’d like to see Button or Strauss bend their bodies like that, Running between wicket stumps and the occasional triathlon doesn’t cut it guys!

I hate X-Factor, it’s not even a show, it never was, and I pray, never will be. It is just a way of making Simon Cowell and co. money. It only appeals to useless, sheep like people who see their friends watching it and decide they also have to watch it to be “Cool”.
      No-body will care about our sports men and Women’s year long plight and struggle, all they will care about is a couple of minuites singing by some people who think they are the best in the world just because some asshole billionares say they are. What a travesty!

49. RB says:

Giggs should win it for his 20 years in top-flight football.

For football fans to vote against him solely due to his long association with Man United would be deeply petty. The guy has always been a credit to his sport.

50. simon says:

Felipe Massa has called his son Felipe Massa? That knock on the head really did do some damage then. Was that the best he could come up with?

51. Sublimeuk says:

Following Jenson’s rendition of ‘We Are The Champions’ over the car radio after Brazil, my money’s on him to win Sports Personality AND X Factor!

52. Richard Mee says:

SPOTY should be for contempory achievement – if we need an additional ‘lifetime achievement/contribution’ award during the proceedings to sweep up the likes of Giggs et al then why not? Every other awards show in the world seems to have one.
    Ryan Giggs is the consummate example of a modern pro footballer and deserves all the plaudits but he’s been putting in the same level of performance each and every year of his career and has done nothing out of the ordinary this past year to justify the prize. If it goes to him there are about 50 other premiership players who could argue a case. By the definition of the award, it really is between Jenson and Jessica. But let’s be honest; i’m not going to lose any sleep over it either way.

53. Toby Coulson says:

I think Jenson will surge ahead early on in the voting only to be caught up by the other 9 contenders, but will eventually come through in the end thanks to his performance at the start of the show.

54. LC 1971 is dead right, Valentino Rossi should have a Foreign Personality award and if you have any doubts about what F1 fans think of him, you should have read the comments of all the top sportspeople in the world about him when he clinched the Championship. I won’t willingly miss a MotoGP race, the elbow-to-elbow overtaking, the cornering, 235HP through a rubber patch the size of your palm – and it’s screened mostly on weekends between F1 rounds – you can have a seamless, double-clutch-like flow of motorsport all season! F1 fans can’t fail to appreciate it.

The JA F1 Personality award? Ross Brawn, no question, though the positive uproar when it looked as though Michael might come back makes you wonder if he doesn’t have a shout.

Let’s give Jenson all the support we can, it’s been years since we had a winner from F1.

Please keep the blog going next season, James, we’re all addicted to it now!

55. David says:

Mindful of the current betting stats and right prevailing, Jenson Button should win the Sports Personality of the Year award to add to his richly deserved F1 Drivers title, secured after a nail biting second half of the season. The voting public is a democracy and a sound gauge to public opinion which is clearly why Hamilton lost out last year; he’s only supported by a minority! Jenson Button – Sports Personality of the Year, voted by the majority!:)