Posted on October 3, 2009
Vatanen compares himself to Obama | James Allen on F1 – The official James Allen website on F1

Ari Vatanen has hit back against Max Mosley’s claims that he will ‘lose and lose badly’ in the FIA presidential elections later this month.

Speaking to the Guardian newspaper he said that he now has over half the votes and believes that the tide is turning in his favour,

“It happens in smaller elections too and this is a Barack Obama thing happening: we believe we have more than half of the votes already and there is a tendency the tide has turned,” Vatanen said. “The [Todt] camp has been very faithful to tactics [Mosley has] employed over the years. He has said from the word go that it’s a foregone conclusion. But you cannot control people’s minds when a fair election is possible.

“I know what the situation is and I am at peace with myself. We’re giving people hope and they are grabbing it.”

Mosley caused a storm this week when he wrote a letter to Prince Feisal of Jordan, who supports Vatanen, complaining about the Finn’s comments that the FIA is a ‘stagnant pool’ the moment and warning that a vote for Vatanen would create a division in the FIA which could not be repaired.

Vatanen’s slogan for this campaign is “Together we can” an adaptation of Obama’s famous “Yes we can” slogan from last year’s US presidential elections.

Tags:
Vatanen compares himself to Obama
8 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: Ben Parker
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 12:52 am

I really really hope Ari wins. I’m sick and tired of Mosley, and I expect Toad would just carry on the same regime.

[Reply]

2.   2. Posted By: Dale Nixon
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 1:31 am

Compared to Max, George Bush could be considered left of Obama.

[Reply]

3.   3. Posted By: Lew
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 1:33 am

Having Mosley working against him must surely be a positive.

[Reply]

4.   4. Posted By: Paige Michael-Shetley
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 1:54 am

If by comparing himself to Obama he’s saying he’ll do to the FIA what Obama is threatening to do to the US economy, then Vatanen could make a more inspired pitch for himself.

[Reply]

5.   5. Posted By: Pay The Piper
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 2:03 am

Oh excellent, that’s all I needed, now we’re all going to be slandered as redneck racists if we disagree with him on a new points system.

Anyhow.

Max, when Middle Eastern monarchies and theocracies are shocked at your table-tilting antics and start having a pop at you for your organisation’s democratic failings, you really, really, want to take a minute to ponder.

[Reply]

6.   6. Posted By: F1 Kitteh
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 2:36 am

I guess Ari didn’t catch my cynicism in the comparison I made between him and Obama yesterday … or more likely he just didn’t read it =)

[Reply]

7.   7. Posted By: Michael Prestia
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 3:08 am

As much as I respected Todt and what he did at Ferrari… I do not want him to win this election. Especially because he is backed by Mosley. The FIA needs a fresh face. Good Luck Mr. Vatanen

[Reply]

8.   8. Posted By: Anthony
        Date: October 3rd, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

I fear Vatanen is not telling the truth, or else many of those who have told him they will vote for him were not telling the truth. Todt didn’t have to be presented as the continuity candidate, but he was. On the face of it, it’s a remarkable show of arrogance on the part of Mosley/Ecclestone that they believe that their candidate can win with a continuity ticket. But the fact is that they control so many of the FIA council members that they’re probably justified in being so arrogant.

[Reply]