The One and Only
Spa 2014
Belgian Grand Prix
An amusing spat between Sutil and Trulli
An amusing spat between Sutil and Trulli
Posted By: James Allen  |  29 Oct 2009   |  3:42 pm GMT  |  66 comments

The last time Jarno Trulli saw Adrian Sutil before today was when he was screaming at him over their first lap collision in Brazil. Trulli felt that the fault was entirely Sutil’s and today in the press conference at Yas Marina Circuit, the war of words spilled out again – that may well have been the reason why they were placed next to each other…

Picture 45
There were quite a few incidents between drivers in Brazil and it looks like it will be a lively drivers’ briefing on Friday. Several drivers have indicated that they want to discuss the Kobayashi/Nakajima
collision and the whole issue of slamming the door to close off an overtaking move.

Here’s a flavour of the Trulli/Sutil exchange:

Jarno Trulli: “I think I had every reason to be extremely furious. I’ve got all the evidence to show that I was there, I was next to him, so I think tomorrow we are going to discuss it.
Sutil: “I think there’s nothing to discuss. It was a quite obvious incident. In the end it was very disappointing for myself, even more, I think, because I was the one who was just driving and he lost control of his car and crashed in my back, so it was not my problem, it was his problem. I don’t know why he’s freaking out like that, to be honest. ”
JT: (Laughing)” If you want, I can show you some pictures. I don’t know if you’re blind but they clearly show you that my front wing is next to your front wing, so…”
AS: “Yeah, but you’re trying to overtake me on the outside on the kerbing. There was not a problem…”
JT: “So you mean… you didn’t move there…”
AS: “No, you were just not going off the power. The same happened in Barcelona where you lost control again and crashed again into a Force India car. You just have to sometimes also…”
JT: “I just lost…”
AS: “…expect the limits of the car. If there’s no way to go, you have to back off, that’s how racing is, and I don’t know how long you want to learn it. ”
JT: “In Barcelona I spun and he hit me because he tapped the kerb, he completely cut the circuit and he didn’t slow down, so basically… Anyway, I think it’s better… ”
AS: “No, no. Watch the race in Barcelona. I didn’t hit you, you hit me. I don’t know what’s the problem, but maybe your eyes are a problem.”
JT: “I don’t have any feeling about him. ”
AS: “I don’t understand, really, sorry.”

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen were sitting on the front row during this exchange and at one point Alonso said, “Shall we go?” But he couldn’t stop laughing as the two drivers went on and on at each other like a pair of schoolboys, both wanting to have the last word.

Sutil has been involved in plenty of collisions this year and he is quite sensitive to people reminding him of it.

1. Sutil is always hit by others, especially Raikkonen. He has a Sutil magnet in that Ferrari.

2. James

Thank you for this insight – this is the kind of “stuff” I rarely get to see/hear and its nice to know “schoolboy spats” happen in F1 as well as the rest of the world.

3. wingwalker says:

Trulli is being ridiculous here. Accident was all his fault but to still go about it 2 weeks later? I wish Kubica was there (with pictures, haha, bringing picture to press conference alone makes it brilliant), someone needs to remind Trulli of his defensive antics that led to monstrous Kubica crash. If drivers were reversed there Trulli would probably sue Kubica for first degree murder attempt, I’m seriously baffled by the fact that one of the most experienced drivers on the grid acts like a complete clown.

4. Duncan says:

I think this exchange is fantastic and a throw back to how things were before sportsmen became controlled by sponsors and had all the life and entertainment knocked out of them by corporate PR types.

..hopefully they are side by side on the grid on Sunday!

1. Travis R says:

I agree – I like the show of emotion, and wish that they hadn’t fined Trulli for it. F1 can use a good rivalry or two.

We have the same phenomenon here in the States in NASCAR – the drivers are all trained to be emotionless corporate clones whose main job is to work all the sponsor names into every interview. If anybody “acts up”, they get slapped down pretty quickly. That was a part of why I don’t watch NASCAR anymore.

2. whilyn says:

I thought it was the LIVELIEST press conference for a long long time.

5. Finn says:

Shame they can’t act with more decorum. Doesn’t set a good example for kids. Trulli seems to be scrapping around … is it a sign that he is worried about losing his F1 seat. Under pressure?

1. Tarek says:

Excellent point.

2. jose says:

sure it is.
      He may have lost it already, and all this, is only going to hurt his options.
      Like they say in nascar. jarno, just shut up and drive.

6. Luffer says:

I’ve watched the incident several times since and to my eyes Trulli should have backed off. He was up on the kerb and lost control of the car when he hit the grass. He was basically off the track!

Trulli hit Sutil, of that there can be absolutely no argument! He had already lost control of the car and spun into Sutil.

What does he expect? Other cars to just pull off the racing line and let him pass them?

1. AJ says:

He’s a racing driver, so it’s probably precisely what he expects :-)

It is nice to see some ‘character’ from time to time in our F1 drivers. They do sometimes tend to be a little bland!

AJ.

7. Red Andy says:

I wonder if Trulli will get another fine for his outburst? The powers-that-be seem averse to anyone who isn’t the perfect corporate robot these days.

1. Benni says:

He didn’t get a fine for arguing with Sutil. He got fined because he didn’t leave the track when he was told so by the track marshals.

8. Sledge says:

Is there any video available of this press conference? I would love to see the body language and the visual reactions from Kimi and Nando as well.

9. williams4ever says:

Staged by One Mr. Bernard Eccelstone :-?. These days hardly things happen on Sunday’s, So need to keep the pot stirred right!!!

The selection of drivers for Thursday conference, Seating arrangement, One driver bringing photos, all have ingredients of Soap Opera Script.

Did Bernard showed up in conclusion with remarks on these lines –
    - What will these two drivers do :-?
    - Will Trulli take his revenge ?
    - Will Sutil be able to take off the crash magnet on his car?

To find out don’t forget to watch the race on Sunday !!!

10. sandra graham says:

I don’t think I have ever come across an incident were everyone can see whose fault it was primarily but that person sees themself as the victim. I think Sutil is an easy target due to his accident prone nature. However, without blame in this instance. Trulli is just making himself look silly. Incident on track off track after incident can be forgiven due to heat off moment. But to keep it up after you have watched footage just daft.

11. Liam says:

James, as a racing expert, who’s fault was it?

Most experts lay that one at Trulli’s door

1. Fudce says:

I’d agree with that. There was a long shot replay of it when it happened, and Jarno Trulli was literally fully off the race track as he attempted to go around the outside of Adrian Sutil. Had he kept at least one wheel on the black stuff I’d be inclined to call it a 50/50 incident, but Trulli tried to extend the racetrack by using the grass and kerb.

The racetrack is the black bit between the white lines, not the green stuff or the yellow green and white stuff.

2. Jim, Belfast says:

Trulli was fined by the stewars, Sutil wasnt. Everyone seems to think it was Trulli’s fault.

He needs to get over it. I love the way Sutil is so “cool” about it.

Its also great to see drivers having a good go at eachother – as Villneuve says its good they all respect eachother, but its great when they dont like eachother or at least have a go at eachother – you can never fault Trulli for passion. Everyone is too “Finnish” these days – they need to become more “latin”!!

Id say everyone would have preferred to see Lewis go head to head with Alonso in the pits in Hungary 2007 rather than through the press.

In saying that if fisticuffs were the norm, Sutil would be a semi-pro boxer by now given the amount of shunts he has had!

12. Chris says:

Is there any footage yet of the driver conference? Sounds pretty funny and not really the norm so would be good to try see it.

13. John Snow says:

I wish they would televise the drivers meetings, I think they would be great entertainment and we would learn the characters behind the helmets.

The more of these spats the better!

14. Paul says:

Yup, Sutil may get the blame, but like the Monaco/Kimi incident, this one wasn’t his fault.

Any video coverage anywhere of the conference?

15. Robert Powers says:

If your attempting a pass and it doesn’t come off it’s your fault.Open wheel machines are all about textbook passes.Being sloppy is for lesser series.I hold it against certain revered drivers that while they may have out of this world talent,they have incidents on track-i.e.”draw lightning”.And here,neither driver is top drawer,IMO.

16. Adrian (not Sutil..!!) says:

You know what would cap this off for me…

…if Sutil was signed up to replace Trulli at Toyota..!! I know it’s not likely to happen, but it would be a perfect final twist!!

1. Chris says:

I disagree – the Force India car is looking much handier than the erratic Toyota right now. Trulli was coming from *behind*, remember! :-)

2. Who knows? Toyota doesn’t seem any closer to signing any new drivers…

3. matt says:

i think that there is every chance that is why trulli is making him self look a class-less fool

4. Rudy Pyatt says:

Ya. Kobiyashi and Sutil would actually be a good lineup!

17. john g says:

whilst i am the first to slate sutil (i think he’s rubbish) this one was clearly trulli’s fault (i don’t like trulli either), i can’t see what he’s babbling on about, and i’m sure that this behaviour is doing him no favours in finding a drive next year. do quite like that these two midfielders are squabbling like kids, and alonso and kimi are having a laugh tho!

18. Steve W says:

It must have been great to have been in that press conference. Sounds hilarious! Still think that Sutil did nothing wrong though, credit to him that he stood up to Trulli’s criticism.

19. Francisco says:

Please please please… anybodoy there can share a video link?

Truly pathetic!

20. Érico says:

Sorry, but Trulli has been a [mod]. Sutil was on the racing line and nothing wrong or unexpected. Trulli, OTOH, went 4 wheels on the kerb and then 2 on the grass in a rookie-like overtaking move, which went all wrong by his own fault. It’s not like he hasn’t raced at Interlagos a dozen times or more and knows exactly where the racing line stands.

Trulli, be a man and suck it up, it was your mistake and fault. Full stop.

21. Jameson says:

The incident was so confusing to me that when I first saw Trulli yelling at Sutil thought I had visual dyslexia. Didn’t Trulli hit Sutil, not the other way around? I hit the rewind on my TiVo to make sure I wasn’t crazy, and I watched it again.

Trulli was entirely on the kerb trying to pass while Sutil was busy worrying about drivers that were actually on the track. It was entirely Trulli’s fault for attempting such a manoeuvre.

This exchange made me laugh. Thanks, James!

22. ashley edwards says:

James is there anywere that we would be able to watch what happed?

23. Rik says:

lol, got to love this stuff and we need more of it! But Trulli should learn when to back off whether it be on the track or in press conferences. Grats to Sutil for holding his line both at Brasil and now :)

24. alien says:

Was Webber in the conference? I’d like to hear him explain his move on Kimi where he got off the racing like to block the Finn, taking off his nose and costing him a podium.

25. So James, what are your views on the Kobayashi/Nakajima incident? A more blatent and dengerous effort to put an overtaking car on the grass I’ve rarely seen, yet the stewards turned a blind eye.

Or is it just more of the FF blocking and dodgems we’ve come to expect in F1 nowadays?

SS7

I thought Kobayashi was out of order to be honest. But it was a blot in an otherwise impressive debut drive

1. Ross Dixon says:

Yes I would agree James but what really annoys me about this type of incident is that he wasnt punished for it. Go back to last year Lewis got a drive through for locking up and forcing Kimi wide. That wasnt done on purpose yet he got a penalty. Kobayashi clearly meant that.
        what annoyed me even more last year was Massa and Bourdais. Massa drove into the side on Bourdais when Massa had the whole track for room, while Bourdais was mounting the Kerb to try and avoid him yet Bourdais was penalised. Oh wait did that mean the championship was closer.
        Incidents like Kobayashi’s dont matter to the stewards as it doesnt effect the main event…..The Championship

26. Chris says:

I agree with the guy who said that it makes a nice change for a bit of passion even tho trulli is clearly wrong and embarassed about the situation. The lady doth protest too much me thinks!!! Christ I only have to hear kimi’s name let alone his mono tone droning un passionate voice n I’m blowin out th zzzzzz’s .. Let’s have a little more of it I say.

27. Robert Mc says:

It’s great to see a bit of spirit for a change but, honestly, someone needs to take Trulli to one side, have a quiet word and tell him (with all due respect of course) what a prat he looks acting like this and that it won’t be helping his chances of a decent race seat.

It was clearly his fault and he doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Yes I think he should perhaps have let this one lie – he’s not making many friends among the stewards I imagine as they have already dealt with this one and didn’t expect it to get dragged up again

28. Carl M says:

Jarno Trulli should become a train driver in his next career move after formula 1. Could be in 2010 if he carries on like this. Trulli the train driver.

29. Ace Best says:

I really think it was Trulli’s fault…I saw the reply on the on board camera on Sutil’s car and there’s no way Sutil could do anything about it,since he was also trying to avoid a collision with the man in front of him,and yes, Trulli tried to overtake him from the outside..Like Sutil said..

30. Robert says:

Why does Sutil claim he never saw Trulli on the track, he says he never saw him “at all” and that he didn’t see “anything”.

Sutil trying to cover up his actions?

31. F1 Kitteh says:

LOL !!!!!!!!! Its like wrestling !!

Is this on youtube? Can someone please sneak a video camera into the briefing tomorrow ?

32. Betty says:

I can remember Damon Hill being knocked out of a race by Trulli several years ago, and afterwards DH’s wry comment was ‘I was ‘trulli’ upset about that!’ Great stuff. What a Gent!

33. Vinod says:

It’s just so immature! Truli is really behaving like a 1st grader here.

34. Ray.C. says:

One of my favourite things about Ayrton Senna was his Press Conferences.

It would have been interesting to hear Alonso’s opinion, as he had a bird’s eye view and ultimately became a victim. Understandably he’ll say his piece behind closed doors. Why publicly embarrass a friend? Unfortuately for Jarno, He caused that incident all by himself.

I realise the British media were pre-occupied in the days after the race, but nothing more was mentioned (it seems)by race stewards/CharlieWhiting the FIA or Williams regarding Kobayashi’s “Playstationesque” driving.
    Can you imagine Lewis,Kimi,Mark etc getting away with KK’s move on Nakajima?
    It was one of the most exciting F1 debut’s I’ve seen in ages, and hopefully we see more of him, but someone needs to quietly take him to one side and explain the rules, as I’m sure will happen in the drivers briefing this week-end.

I agree. Ayrton would speak and you could hear a pin drop!

35. Nayantara says:

Hey:

I am “new” fan in comparison to the people i see here.. And while I understand how most of the comments are from “experts of the sport”, who have just reason to blame one or the other.

I am just here to say its nice to see a human, and a very human side to some of these drivers!
    All men are allowed to act as schoolboys sometime are they not? Even these men..

I am enjoying the show..

36. whilyn says:

James

How is Kimi reacting to all this racket around him? I am just curious. I am imagining him with a stoic face. :D

Very stoic and not very talkative

37. Fun little exchange, it’ll be interesting to see what the rest of the drivers think of the ordeal at the pre-race drivers meeting.

38. Gareth says:

While Sutil is indeed rather collision prone this season, I don’t think many of them can be blamed on him. In fact the only one I can think of this season off the top of my head that was all him was the Singapore one which was a serious case of brain fade.

39. Renn Sport says:

I like the fact Sutil didn’t put up with Trulli out burst on the track at the last race.. its also good that Sutil gave Trulli what for in the drivers meeting.

I remember the hammering Trulli would give Sato about his overtakes… seems like the tables have turned. LOL

Trulli is feeling the pressure of being made redundent. I think its time to let go Jarno. You are done.

40. Nicollers says:

Very funny watching the replay. Purely Trulli’s fault this one. Sutil didn’t offer any room (and rightly so) as he was blissfully unaware that Trulli was hammering it down the outside of the corner with only half of his car on the grey stuff. Trulli should have known better and backed off. It’s so narrow around that section anyway. The half a car length rule doesn’t apply if you’re not on the track!!

41. scott says:

hilarious!! alonso is like o_O haha he’s really great and the “should we go?” to Kimi is 4 the win xDD

42. hisH says:

Ironic Trulli incriminating LOL Nando’s and Kimi’s reaction’s awesome

43. John says:

Time for Trulli to concerntrate on his wine full time!! This is a great example of why we should have grass or sand instead of tarmac. If it were tarmac, truli would probably had more of a chance of getting closer to Sutil in the next corner but instead, he was penalized. I’d like to see him try that again next year (that is if he is still in F1).

44. Ago says:

In all fairness don’t you think it would be worth saying that all that jazz was started by Ian Parkes’s question and then continued with another question from Alan Baldwin?
    So what is it? A “war of words” between 2 drivers or a provocation by a member of the press???
    I have my own idea indeed…

No it was a legitimate question, the point is that they both chose to continue the spat.