The One and Only
Spa Francorchamps 2014
Belgian Grand Prix
Hakkinen and Hamilton act up
Hakkinen and Hamilton act up
Posted By: James Allen  |  02 Sep 2009   |  10:17 pm GMT  |  26 comments

This made me laugh. It’s Mika Hakkinen and Lewis Hamilton in a viral for Johnnie Walker, each making out that the “Pact” – not to drink and drive – was their idea.

It’s funny because you can see the tells both men use when they are lying – as they clearly both are here.

Mika is not a bad actor. There’s a moment at 40 seconds where he does this grin, which he used to do sometimes when you interviewed him. It’s a kind of involuntary show of emotion.

I remember he did it after that amazing pass on Michael Schumacher at Spa in 2000, where they passed Riccardo Zonta one on each side. In the paddock afterwards I asked him what he thought about Schumacher putting him on the grass and he did that grin.

It’s a bit of fun.

1. Paul says:

Nice advert. Would have worked better with Michael instead of Lewis but we can’t have everything.

2. Paul Mc says:

Ah bring back the Mika/Schumi days! What a great time for F1 that was.

Mika is the man!

3. monktonnik says:

Definately worth watching.

Perhaps they should get Johnnie Walker’s PR people to do the webcasts for Mclaren, it might actually make them more watchable.

It is nice to see that these guys are allowed to have fun on behalf of their sponsors. I have an acquiantance who is very good friends with Mika, and he always sounds more fun in real life than he comes across on TV, except for the bit he did for Top Gear a while ago :)

4. Stephen says:

I’ve been waiting ages for this to come out, as I was lucky enough to be a bit part in one of the films as one of ‘Mika’s mates’. What I saw reminded me of that fantastic Lewis / Alonso whatever you can do commercial from a few years ago.

5. Conor Bevan says:

hmmm….I think these guys should stick to the track.

6. Werewolf says:

I’ve been lucky enough to meet Mika Hakkinen 2 or 3 times following his retirement from F1 and each time I was surprised by how funny and charming he can be.

I see what you mean, James, about the tell-tales. When Lewis is on the run his eyes always remind me of Basil Fawlty’s when he’s just been found out by Sybil!

7. Paige Michael-Shetley says:

A great sampling of Hakkinen, the classic interview.

8. Rhys says:

Yep, there’s that grin – Good to see Mika again, would love to see him more involved in F1 again – What a superstar!

9. knoxploration says:

I guess McLaren drivers and pacts isn’t the touchy subject it once was, now that Hakkinen, Coulthard and Dennis have all retired from active F1 racing… ;-)

As an aside… am I the only one who finds the concept of “anti drink driving” ads being smothered in the logos of an alcohol brand just a wee bit incongruous? This ad gives me a similar feeling to those from a certain cigarette company telling me how they’re great folks for spending a pittance of their earnings towards helping smokers quit, or one of the world’s largest oil companies hyping how they’re really quite green because they toss a few bucks towards alternative energy…

Maybe I’m just being a grumpy sod today though!

10. George says:

Wow I’ve never seen Lewis so relaxed, is this what he’s like in private James?

I love these videos from McLaren, I think my favourite is still the one from Singapore last year.

11. davidturnedge says:

I miss Hakkinen! He is one of the funniest drivers of his generation. Come to think of it I cannot think of a current driver I feel has any personality left after being dunked in the PR goo that the corporate world floats on. Kimi and Kovalainen come close. Maybe I’m a sucker for the Finnish sense of humour?

12. Martin says:

So is it an ad for drinking at home alone or public transport?

13. Martin Collyer says:

Not Kovalainen then?

14. Craig says:

Well done gentlemen! It was great seeing Mika again after teaching James May how to drive.

I think it was Mika’s idea, by the way.

15. Boy says:

You’re right James. As for Lewis’s mannerisms, it might as well be a drivers’ press conference as far as I’m concerned. Which is worrying.

16. Dave says:

Is this the opposite of what it was like in the stewards’ room in Australia?

“It was HIS idea”

“No, it was HIS idea”

17. Andy Fov says:

Hope Lewis is more convincing than that when he finds himself presenting McLaren’s version of events to the stewards.

18. Stephen says:

Good man Mika,love the ads he is in,especially the Merc one with Boris Becker,not all Finns are wooden

19. john says:

Nice advert.
    But James today you can´t leave us without an update on what is going on at Ferrari in choosing their next substitue driver.
    Who is ahead between Fisi and Kubica?

20. Matt Preston says:

Proof yet again that it is impossible for an F1 driver to get through any interview without saying “For sure”. i swear there is some kind of secret “for sure” bet going on with the drivers. Who can say it the most in a season!

This crazy “for sure” epidemic needs to be investigated further. Get to work James!

21. helena says:

” There’s a moment at 40 seconds where he does this grin, which he used to do sometimes when you interviewed him. It’s a kind of involuntary show of emotion”

Good spot! James you even did better than Dr.Cal Lightman!

22. rpaco says:

Is Mika Finnish or Swedish? He surely cant be from the same fun loving country as Rikonen.

BTW aren’t we still officially at war with Finland?

23. DGen says:

Some interesting tells in Lewis’ responses. Reminds me of how he acted when questioned byt he FIA over radio comms…

24. Andy says:

I never picked up on Mika’s dry sense of humour when he was driving, but the interviews I’ve seen and heard since he retired have been brilliant.

I always loved the old Alonso/Hamilton ad where Mika turns up the heat right at the end :)

25. russ parkin says:

lewis hamiltons early season of grimness has definately made him a better person, he was a bit wooden previously but he seems quite a nice bloke and quite funny nowadays- go on lewis suprise us all and win the wdc in silly season!

26. herh says:

I’m a Finn and I have quite often found that my sense of humour isn’t understood by many people.

I estimate that most people miss it completely, thinking I am an idiot of some sort. Some time back this thought troubled me a bit, but then I learned I just have to be who I am, and not care if someone is completely not understanding my subtle jokes.

So I keep my sense of humour, and those who get it are greatly rewarded, I like to think.