May the best man win
Title Showdown 2014
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Sneak preview: Bahrain kicks off 2010 F1 calendar
Scuderia Ferrari
Sneak preview: Bahrain kicks off 2010 F1 calendar
Posted By: James Allen  |  28 Aug 2009   |  6:31 pm GMT  |  41 comments

There is a draft 2010 calendar doing the rounds this weekend.

It’s an 18 race calendar and it starts with Bahrain because Australia needs to be scheduled for a date after the clocks go forward to shorten up the time difference and make the race time in Europe later.

Turkey will be chilly in April, I’m ecstatic to see Montreal back as it is a great venue, a wonderful city and one of the best supported races of the year with a huge, knowledgeable crowd all three days.

Valencia moves to June, when it will be cooler (thank Heavens!), The British GP at Donington is on July 11th and China moves from a Spring to an Autumn date:

March 14 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
March 28 – Australia (Melbourne)
April 4 – Malaysia (Sepang)
April 25 – Turkey (Istanbul)
May 9 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 23 – Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 6 – Canada (Montreal)
June 27 – Europe (Valencia)
July 11 – Great Britain (Donington)
July 25 – Germany (Hockenheim)
August 1 – Hungary (Budapest)
August 22 – Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
September 5 – Italy (Monza)
September 19 – China (Shanghai)
September 26 – Singapore (Singapore)
October 10 – Japan (Suzuka)
October 24 – Brazil (Interlagos)
November 7 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Featured Video
ferhorsepower
Horse Power – Shell & Ferrari’s journey to 2014
Featured News in ferrari
MORE FROM Ferrari
LATEST FROM THE SCUDERIA FERRARI COMMUNITY
Tags:
  1. Oliver Drew says:

Good to see Canada back. Question for you though James, South Korea has a contract to host a Grand Prix which was due to start in 2010, what has happened to that race?

Cheers, Oliver

2. Paul Hampton says:

British GP at Donington – as if!

3. Neil says:

South Korea is missing from this list.

4. Tim from Canada says:

Montreal! I’m booking a ticket now!

5. guy says:

I thought Korea was going to have a race in 2010.

6. philipb says:

Guess I’m headed North of the border next June then.

7. Paul Hayes says:

What happened to South Korea?

8. Werewolf says:

I agree, great to have Montreal back.

Turkey was, I believe, an attendance disaster this year. My take on this was partly that the country has little motorsport heritage and the event relied heavily on foreign visitors for its gate. How many people take Turkish holidays in April?

As a modern circuit with some potential to become a classic, Istanbul Park is a worthwhile recent addition to the calendar. Moving it back to August (and preferably dropping Valencia altogether!) must surely be more sensible.

9. Rob says:

See you @ Silverstone on July 11th then.

10. Thomas says:

It’s nice to see Montreal back on the calendar! Do you or any of your colleagues know if the deal has been formalized 100% to bring the race back here?

11. James says:

Very happy to see Canada back. FOM obviously had to bow to the pressure of the fans and the media and compromise with the Canadian officials, I guess…? Either way, a great circuit and good to see it back on the calander.

What kinda gets me though, is that Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are no where near each other on the calander. At a time when the sport is supposed to be cost-cutting, would it not make sense to have the Bahrain and Abu Dhabi races next to each other? The costs of hauling cargo would therefore be cheaper. I suppose you could then argue that we would need a GP in the USA, or Mexico to accompany Canada (which I would be all for as well). Just seems a little hypocritical to me.

Anyway, on another note, it would be ideal to do away with the 3 week breaks between Grand Prix though, 2 weeks seem like an eternity already…! But that’ll be impatience for you there…

12. Jay says:

Having Canada back will be good, like that track. Still hoping Donington won’t happen, Silverstone all the way…

13. Paul Matthews says:

I’m hearing rumours that Korea may still be on the calendar at the end of the season, with Turkey likely to be dropped to make way.

What about the Portimao track in Portugal. I thought it would be a shoo-in for a race this year

14. Hi James,
    Just a couple of questions for you

Isn’t it somewhat absurd (and risky) that Valencia is taking place only 7 weeks after the Barcelona race and do you know what the status of Hockenheim is for next year’s GP?

As far as I know Hockenheim isn’t up for it. There is some negotiation to be done there.

15. Shagrathian says:

Thank, God. Turkey’s on the calender again. I was worried about our race after the low audience issue.

16. David says:

Great to see Montreal back. Interesting that there are 3 weeks between Canada and Valencia – given that the teams are extremely keen to get a USGP back on the calendar is there any possibility of a race at Indy (or elsewhere in the States)being added on 13th June?

17. Dave says:

Wasn’t South Korea supposed to be on next years calendar too ?

18. Sean Joseph Healy says:

Mr. Allen I am a big fan of yours but from “Turkey will be chilly in April” to the exclamation mark after “thank Heavens” that was the gayest piece you’ve ever written.

Oooh you are awful…

19. niceguyrichy says:

so is the all the Donington carp gonna be sorted out in time for racing next year??
    I really love the track, I used to be a big follower of BTCC, and it was one of my fav tracks in a season, I’d love to see F1 cars on there.
    is it atually ging to happen ?

20. John says:

Great to see Montreal on the schedule again!

What are the odds that Donington will be ready for the British GP? Will it actually end up at Silverstone?

Let’s just say that there is a lot of doubt. Silverstone has a plan B in place I understand. Ecclestone has requested a bank guarantee from Donington in September

21. jw1980 says:

brilliant that there’s a calendar at last. Appreciate that it’s only provisional but you can normally get an idea of which races are likely to take place on the dates suggested and those which are liable to change.
    I’m pretty confident that the British GP will stay in its July date. Bernie has given Donington the September ultimatum. If Donington lose the race does Silverstone have sufficient time to organise the race for 2010? Donington do not seem very bullish at present. Surely Silverstone will host the race in 2010 and there onwards now?

22. Malcom says:

The fan base and support for F1 racing is alot more stronger in countries like England and Italy, rather than Spain. Why have 2 races in Spain at Barcelona and Valencia, when you have in England a Silverstone and Donington, and in Italy a Monza and San Marino. Spain is entitled to Barcelona, but why of all places…….Valencia?

23. Tim Bayliss says:

How fake is that.

Firstly it completely forgets to mention the South Korean GP, which has already been confirmed for 2010.

Secondly, if you think they are going to fly from Monaco to Canada, and then back to Valencia afterwards – you are having a laugh.

There’s no chance in hell they’d put Canada at such a ridiculous point of the season, half way through the European Circuits.

Canada will be at the end of the season before Brazil, or at the start of the season after Australia, Malaysia, and China.

1. Red Andy says:

Tim, the Canadian GP was always right in the middle of the European season for no apparent reason. It made a bit more sense when the USGP ran alongside it from 2004 to 2007, but other than that it was on its own. I suppose it’s largely because Montreal is very cold outside of summer….

1. Tim Bayliss says:

I apologise, what my comment meant to say was:

“In an era of cost-cutting, it is hilarious that they’d fly from Monaco to Canada, and then back to Valencia again”

It really is an insult!

It “should” be before Brazil at the end of the season to save travel costs.

Oh well!

I was wrong about the South Korean GP too, that news article was from 2006, obviously that idea fell through or they haven’t finished building the circuit yet :p

2. James says:

You appear to have paid no attention to Red Andy’s comment. Canada gets VERY cold outside of summer. If it were to be placed near to Brazil on the calander, the temperatures would be at, below or very near to 0 celcius, and there could even be snow. Just isn’t going to happen, is it?

24. Simon Pearce says:

Echo comments about Canada.

Already got my tickets booked for Australia to co-incide with my month-long trek from Perth to Sydney but gutted it won’t be the first race. Looks like I’ll be in the middle of the outback for Bahrain :(

25. Paige Michael-Shetley says:

Turkey needs to be moved back to August to capture European holidayers. I went to the race this year and loved both the circuit and Istanbul. It’s a fantastic grand prix for travelers to visit for the racing and for the tourism. I really hope it works out, as I’d like to go back there again.

It’s good to see Montreal back, as well. It’s a fantastic circuit.

26. Dave says:

Re Tims point. For years Canada was after Monaco then followed by France itself so I think its perfectly possible to have a European, flyaway, European race order mid season.

I understand Canada could not happen end of season because it would be too cold there. I dont live there but thats what I hear.

1. garyc says:

Well I live here and you are right. Early or late in the season is out of the question. In the good old days, the race was held in September, but had to be moved to June bacause of bad weather.

27. john g says:

great news about canada, the best race i’ve ever been to. thought there was talk of india and russia too. did they baulk at bernie’s prices?

28. Tim Bayliss says:

South Korean Grand Prix promoters have announced they have secured the financial funding to build a Formula 1 circuit that will be ready in time for 2010.

WOOHOO!

And yeah you’re right, I forgot Canada turns to ice at that time of year. Shame we don’t get indoor Grand Prix’s eh :)

(Yes i’m joking)

29. Andy S says:

Having just returned from Spa I was dissapointed to see that the race is a week earlier next year even though they had been lead to believe it would be on the 27/28/29th Aug.

I was only able to go because it was a bank holiday weekend as where many Brits I spoke to.

When there is talk of Spa sharing with Germany or maybe even pulling out due to loss’s, it would make sense to have the event which attracts the most Brits after Silverstone on a bank holiday weekend