Posted on May 19, 2009
Spanish GP slideshow | James Allen on F1 – The official James Allen website on F1

I’ve been enjoying working with the leading F1 photographer Darren Heath this season.

He has a fantastic eye and always gets an original view on a Grand Prix weekend. We are experimenting with ways we can work together on content and this is a Flickr slideshow with my captions.

For maximum impact, expand it to full screen and click on “Show info” to get the captions. (You will need the latest Flash plug-in installed and your browsers might prefer to go directly to the JAF1 Flickr pages)
[vodpod id=Groupvideo.2529187&w=425&h=350&fv=offsite%3Dtrue%26offsite%3Dtrue%26amp%3Blang%3Den-us%26amp%3Bpage_show_url%3D%252Fphotos%252Fjaf1%252Fsets%252F72157618183455056%252Fshow%252F%26amp%3Bpage_show_back_url%3D%252Fphotos%252Fjaf1%252Fsets%252F72157618183455056%252F%26amp%3Bset_id%3D72157618183455056%26amp%3Bjump_to%3D]

Tags:
Spanish GP slideshow
31 Responses

1.   1. Posted By: YuppieScum
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 10:10 am

Fails on Chrome 2 with Flash 10.

Won’t go full-screen, and there’s no option to show the captions.

2.   2. Posted By: martin_tf
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 10:10 am

Some amazing photography there. Love the shot of the run down to the first corner, there is a real sense of speed in there.

3.   3. Posted By: Simon
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 10:48 am

Nice pic set, only one gripe. The slideshow is too quick to appreciate the picture and read your comments comfortably, it all gets a bit rushed. Slow it down please.

4.   4. Posted By: Finn
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 10:49 am

On the 30inch Mac screen the Massa off the line picture looks like a piece of modern art – fantastic shot.

The start line looks wide.

Where exactly is the timing beam – start, middle or end of the start line?

5.   5. Posted By: Alex
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 11:09 am

Hi James, My suggestion for this project would be that you create an audio summary of the race weekend to play with the pictures, not trying to connect it to the pictures.

6.   6. Posted By: jed
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 11:13 am

Very nice!

7.   7. Posted By: Jon
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

…click on the options, then click slow, which slows it down!

Great photos James.

8.   8. Posted By: rpaco
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

Yup had the same problems, (also Flash 10 on Firefox 3.0.10 on Ubuntu 9.04) even taking all the protection off (disabling NoScript) the page I could still only see it at original size and with no captions.

It also tried to take me to another site (Flicker) which wanted me to sign up for an account before I could see anything.

And yet the last one you did with the voiceover worked fine within the site. What was different?

9.   9. Posted By: chris
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

The massa picture with his helmet is the best, nice composition.

10.   10. Posted By: Ross Evans
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 12:42 pm

I really wish I had the talent to take stunning pictures like that, they are beautiful. As someone else mentioned those the slideslow is far to quick to appreciate the photo and read the caption.

11.   11. Posted By: Phil Irwin
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 12:58 pm

Nice work from both of you.
    On the last photo, the group shot of Brawn GP, Nick Fry can be seen to one side.
    What do we know of his position in the team now, and how come he wasnt more of a player in the takeover? It seems like he was pushed to the side after being reported as “a surprise front-runner to take over the stricken Formula One team”. Its all been about Ross and he seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    Phil.

12.   12. Posted By: Jodum5
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

Hm, the screen is completely blank. Doesn’t even look like there is a video to load. I’m using internet explorer 7

13.   13. Posted By: StJimmyL
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

*********************************
    James – I’ve been a fan of Darrens photography for a while. His website only sells certain prints for quite a large sum of money. I’m interested in large prints that are great pieces of art to display in my house.

Can you do a deal with him to sell some of his prints on your site? I can help set-up if required!?!

Cheers
    *********************************

14.   14. Posted By: Northern Munkee
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

+1 Alex’s suggestion is exactly what I was about to suggest.

Don’t bother with the poetry trying to match audio to the pictures, just do an audio report/podcast, on the weekend, you’ve been doing analysis, and alternative views, just give us that, and plus the pictures, a sort of 2 for 1, if I get bored of the comms I can watch the slide show and vice versa, and if by chance the picture illustrate the audio then bend the running order of the pictures to match the comms.

15.   15. Posted By: Snail
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

Windows XP 64, SP1. Most recent version of Firefox.

No Full screen (ignores button clicks to request full screen).
    No option to show captions.

16.   16. Posted By: Chris
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

If you click on the title “JA’s F1 Spanish GP ’09 set’ it takes you to a page with ‘start slideshow’ in the top right hand corner. From there you will see ‘show info’ again in the top right hand corner.

Some really great photos, pleasure to view them.

17.   17. Posted By: knoxploration
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 2:24 pm

Fails on Safari 4 Beta on Windows Vista as well. I see an empty white space where the slideshow should obviously be, but nothing ever loads.

18.   18. Posted By: natef1
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 2:34 pm

Yep having problems here too, can’t see the full screen pictures (Safari and Mac user here)..

19.   19. Posted By: Finn
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

Try the direct link:

[ I have now added this in the text too - Moderator ]

20.   20. Posted By: Spanish Grand Prix Photo Essay « Chapman Report Online
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 2:56 pm

[...] [via AllenOnF1] [...]

21.   21. Posted By: rpaco
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

You do need Flash player installed. It is now “Adobe” flash but regret I am not familiar with IE 7, having switched to linux and Firefox 2 years ago. If IE7 has a tools or addons menu use it to download and install Flash/Shockwave.
    If you are running “NoScript” you will need to allow two things on the page to run. Also of course you may need java installed (another addon) if not for this page then most likely for many others.

Will persevere and repost if I find a solution for Firefox and Flash 10.

22.   22. Posted By: floydthebarber71
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

that photography is nuts. the guy is master-class.

23.   23. Posted By: Simon A
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 4:37 pm

I will retire to the corner, and don my dunce cap for not looking, thanks Jon.

24.   24. Posted By: Peter
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

Awesome pictures but it would be great to get them in high-res so we would be able to use them as wallpapers ;)

looking forward to reading your posts from Monaco!!

25.   25. Posted By: Finn
        Date: May 19th, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

Try opening the link in a new tab/new window.

26.   26. Posted By: Rory
        Date: May 20th, 2009 @ 3:50 am

As a fellow photographer, I am not only impressed with the photography, which is pretty dam good, but the editing is truly fantastic.

I know how many frames I would shoot at an event such as a Grand Prix weekend, and I think the hardest part would be to edit it all down to only the best images.

27.   27. Posted By: Bengurio
        Date: May 20th, 2009 @ 6:26 am

Great photo essay James and another amazing collections from Darren, can’t wait for Monaco!
    Bravo!!

28.   28. Posted By: Liquid
        Date: May 20th, 2009 @ 8:55 am

Thats some beautiful photography! Darren Heath as always :)

29.   29. Posted By: robatclaxby
        Date: May 20th, 2009 @ 9:04 am

Well James , as a septuagenarian Silver Surfer, who knows very little about IT. I would like to report that I had no trouble getting full screen or your comments, and enjoyed it as you intended !, thanks for starting my day on a good note.

30.   30. Posted By: natef1
        Date: May 20th, 2009 @ 10:46 am

Great, can see them new.

Very good stuff!

31.   31. Posted By: Michael C
        Date: May 20th, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

Great pictures. Ironic given many thousands of pounds worth of camera equipment that some of the blurry shots are the most atmospheric but could be shot with a much cheaper camera probably? Then we wouldn’t get the track access would we? The Santander shot shows how enormous the run-off area is now hence the banzai driving. By the way I couldn’t get any captions in Internet Explorer but could blow the shots up.

The Massa crash helmet shot is fantastic

Get back in print soon James – not much for the last few days – your (ever expanding – what the hell is twitter all about?) web site is a bit like a drug!