Posted on March 11, 2009
Live Updates Service | James Allen on F1 – The official James Allen website on F1

We are experimenting with Twitter when covering live events, like the testing programme in Barcelona or major press conferences. It’s all very new, but we are having fun and hope you will appreciate the immediacy of the information. If you tell us it works well, we will seek to use this as a way of covering the action during the season. It will not be LIVE all the time but we will work out a way of letting you know when we plan a session. Feel free to download the widget on your websites.

Follow us on Twitter at “jamesallenonf1” & for those picking this up by RSS you might want a preview on the full site.

Tags:
Live Updates Service
No Responses

1.   1. Posted By: Tom
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 10:53 am

“Kimi said nothing interesting”! Tell us something we don’t know…

2.   2. Posted By: Facchetti
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 11:03 am

I think that what he meant to say was that “the ridiculously overpaid Kimi could not be bothered to talk to the media again”. Are there any millionnaire sportsmen on earth less media-friendly than this burping Finn?

Problem is JA is always too polite …

3.   3. Posted By: guy
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 11:36 am

Sorry everyone but could you tell me how to operate this tittle tattle thing?

4.   4. Posted By: guy
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 11:57 am

It’s okay all sorted – for a while i was following someone with a very similar name to james allen. He had some interesting ideas on crop rotation. [ lol! - Moderator]

5.   5. Posted By: Finn
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

In the words of Bono:

“I will follow …..”

6.   6. Posted By: Finn
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

Guy, are you implying that ‘our’ James Allen doesn’t also have interesting ideas on crop rotation? ;-)

7.   7. Posted By: rpaco
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

Does not seem to be working, it says the last update was 17 hours ago. Have I got it all wrong? Does this mean you will stop this blog? Or commit to doing both blog and twit? [ The blog will not be affected. We envisage that the Twitter service could be most useful during newsworthy or fast-moving events, eg: press conferences, tests and race weekends. I have proposed to JA that he work on his "Tweet-On" & "Tweet-Off" signatures to alert its subscribers when the service is active. We can only hope that "One-Man-Band" Allen will always be able to find a suitable place to leave the big base drum while he keys in the updates ... - Moderator ]

8.   8. Posted By: rpaco
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

I should add that I have put tates in where we had the runner beans last year. Planted first earlies already chitted yesterday.

9.   9. Posted By: gillw
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 8:42 pm

The Twitter link is not working. [ The "300" (who subscribed in the first 24hrs!) would disagree. Try again. Twitter's servers are not always the sharpest - Moderator ]

10.   10. Posted By: Balthazar
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 9:13 pm

Looking forward to this use of Twitter! Race weekends would be ideal times to twitter and always remember that it also keeps JA in touch with us, his readers.

Keep those phones handy and ready to bust some trivia/web searches for him.

11.   11. Posted By: Colin
        Date: March 11th, 2009 @ 11:57 pm

Twitter is a silly passing fad.

It’d become a stone around James’ neck. At fast moving events he needs to have his eyes focused on the event not a mobile keyboard.

Far better to simply make notes and post a summary here at the conclusion.

Lance Armstrong used Twitter during his Au comeback ride and it was pathetic, a real turn off.

“I’m having dinner with Bruyneel” type posts.

Makes him look a berk.

Say no James. Your quality posts here will keep us coming back.

12.   12. Posted By: Robin Capper
        Date: March 12th, 2009 @ 11:25 am

I’m a follower: “Blogging is for what you can’t say in 140 characters, Twitter shows how much you can!”

13.   13. Posted By: Mike Ellison
        Date: March 12th, 2009 @ 4:11 pm

Glad you’re using twitter, I’ve already added you to my follow list.

One request though… don’t witter on twitter. I quickly stop following people that tell me what they had for breakfast or what colour toilet paper they prefer.

14.   14. Posted By: Cheshley
        Date: March 16th, 2009 @ 10:23 am

searched for jamesallenonf1 on Twitter this morning and got zero search results. Has the Tweeting stopped?

15.   15. Posted By: Chris Whyte
        Date: March 24th, 2009 @ 11:01 pm

here is a question for ya. how come in your season preview for itv.com/f1 you left out one of the star teams from winter…Renault.

Also to everyone here who says Kimi is over paid this and over paid that. He is better than all of you and Kimi has never been one for talking to interviewers so why should he start now? I guess Hamilton fans are bit upset he looks set to be running for the title while Lewis finds out what its like to drive a slow car at the back, just like Kimi, Alonso, Trulli…hell even Micheal Schumacher. This is where we find out just how good Lewis really is.

16.   16. Posted By: ken peach
        Date: March 25th, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

question; why aren’t you with the bbc f1 team??………

17.   17. Posted By: James Allen
        Date: March 26th, 2009 @ 4:59 am

Because they have a guy on the BBC staff called Jonathan Legard, who did some F1 commentary on Radio 5 Live in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

18.   18. Posted By: rpaco
        Date: March 26th, 2009 @ 7:54 am

Come on James, We have to rely on you now for up to date info.
    Its 07:39 in the UK and there is absolutely nothing from the bbc or Itv. Only Planet F1 have news. (amongst my RSS feeds)

19.   19. Posted By: C3PO
        Date: March 26th, 2009 @ 5:54 pm

James, I’m sorry you’re not part of the new BBC commentary team, but I’m enjoying your online blog, newspaper column and also twitter stuff (which is new to me too). Keep up the great work.

20.   20. Posted By: Paul
        Date: March 28th, 2009 @ 7:25 pm

Just wanted to say that looking at the Beeb’s woeful F1 web effort, there’s a gap to be filled with insightful, up-to-the-minute f1 analysis.

Looking at the number times I’ve returned to this site over the past 48 hrs you’ve quickly filled it.

Well done!

21.   21. Posted By: Derek Lorimer
        Date: March 30th, 2009 @ 6:24 am

Thanks for the Twitter feed. Great for us in regional Australia who don’t always get the Grand Prix live.

Already missing your commentary. Hopefully there will be a “Bring back James” petition sent to the BBC. You are the voice of Formula One

22.   22. Posted By: danf1
        Date: March 31st, 2009 @ 10:05 am

James, in the hope that you moderate these comments, I was hoping that you would look at my blog which aims to give an armchair fans perspective. I’ve received some praise for my ‘In Defense of Fernando Alonso’ article.

One day James, I hope to be able to travel with the F1 circus, and if I keep updating this blog, you never know!

I’ve taken much inspiration from you over the years and I’m really enjoying your insight which you can’t get anywhere else. You’ve really filled a gap for all us F1 followers!

23.   23. Posted By: newb
        Date: April 6th, 2009 @ 8:47 pm

Wow Cool!

24.   24. Posted By: dyF108
        Date: April 11th, 2009 @ 2:26 am

Hi James,

I want to take this opportunity to say how disappointed I am that you are not involved in any form on the BBC’s coverage this season.

Is it just me (well it seems this way!) or does everyone who contributes to those BBC forums, praising their “perfect” coverage no end, wear huge rose-tinted glasses? Because I swear they are watching a different programme to me!

I’m in the minority, but I miss ITV’s coverage. Yes the adverts were annoying, and better pundits should have been used.

But for people to say, including the BBC’s own presenter Jake Humphrey, that the BBC’s coverage of the first 2 races is light-years ahead of anything ITV achieved in 12 years is quite frankly a disgraceful insult. Humphrey himself is a disgrace who is so out of his depth and posesses no gravitas what so ever.

The BBC pre-show show mimics ITV’s in so many ways, in fact is almost identical, and single-minded people don’t realise this. The BBC have not evolved the show as much as they said they would. There is nothing new on the BBC show. I think only Charles Sale of the Daily Mail has been the only one who has commented on this in the press.

The BBC have been average so far. Nothing special or “perfect” as people keep saying, and they have many areas to improve on, but I won’t rant!

As a lifelong racing fan though, I have thoroughly enjoyed the season so far regardless. Enjoying your Twitters and blogs by the way, keep up the good work!!

25.   25. Posted By: lee
        Date: April 13th, 2009 @ 11:55 pm

Hi James,

How do you think of Ferrari reshuffle to Dyer? Will this help them out of difficulties?

26.   26. Posted By: Matthew
        Date: April 14th, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

Hi

I think your live Twitter updates are brilliant and I always look forward to your great insights into what is going on in the sport. You often seem to get the message out on the latest happenings within the paddock well before the usual main stream media sources which is brilliant. Both your blog and tweets have a really Human feel to them which I think is a real positive. Keep up the good work!

27.   27. Posted By: Sean
        Date: April 18th, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

Great idea. I hope it works most of the time.

28.   28. Posted By: tom
        Date: April 19th, 2009 @ 5:53 am

Why have Maclaren not protested that Kovi was blocked by 2 cars during one of his quali runs? This was clearly shown on the BBC coverage?
    Are they conscious of not upsetting the teams further with a stewards appeal?

Tom

29.   29. Posted By: Steve
        Date: April 19th, 2009 @ 9:16 am

Twitter was good James, but may be you need to reduce the number of updates

30.   30. Posted By: Suzy
        Date: May 5th, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

I have to say I don’t know James Allen as a commentator because I am not British, but I have his book “The edge of greatness” on Michael Schumacher and I liked it very much. He was trying to dig deep into the personality of Michael and tried to discover “what makes him tick”. I’m not sure if he succeeded in that ;) but it was an enjoyable read.

I am a Michael fan myself, but I think it’s a good book for “moderates” on both sides. Perhaps if you are a too fanatical Schumacher fan you will find it offensive sometimes, or if you are a too big “anti-Schumacher” then you will find that there’s too much admiration in it.

For me it seemed OK and fairly balanced for a British author ;) :p , although, I don’t agree with everything in it and sometimes maybe Michael was a little “over-analyized”. I don’t think his psyché that complex, to be honest.

31.   31. Posted By: Carl
        Date: May 9th, 2009 @ 5:46 pm

I really like this site James. In the past I just watched the races on tv and never knew much about what goes on behind the scenes in F1. I bought your book “the edge of greatness” as a result of reading your articles on this site and can’t put the down!

32.   32. Posted By: Sami
        Date: May 22nd, 2009 @ 8:06 am

Love the website James and especially the analysis. However, one part I really enjoyed were the ‘different’ updates you would provide us….around the weekend…who is travelling with who, who you met at check-in, at which party etc.

This being Monaco; I would have loved to see more of this…especially the yachts and who is seen on whose yacht? Also pics of the team principles boarding or meeting on Falvios yacht would be interesting.

the way F1 is going at the moment we need more of this…

Thanks for the very informative website – keep it up!

Sami

33.   33. Posted By: Carl
        Date: June 4th, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

I like your website I check it every day. Just wanted to say what a great read, Michael Schumacher, edge of greatness book is. Read it 3 times, the best book I have read. Hopefully you will write one on Kimi Raikkonen.